eight

The Unexpected Fall

 

“Mina! Have you seen the video?!” 

 

Sana shouted from the other side of the screen causing Momo and Mina to cover their ears from the sudden outburst. The Japanese decided to have a video chat since they haven’t been spending time with each other because Mina would always disappear on then during lunch. 

 

“What video?” Mina asked as she gets comfortable in her bed, putting her laptop on the he bed and laying on down on her front. 

 

“It’s about you and Im!” Sana exclaimed showing an unplayed video from her phone. 

 

Mina felt her heart stopped for a moment with her eyes widen. 

 

“Can you send it to me?” Mina requested grabbing her phone from the night stand waiting for Sana’s message. 

 

“I didn’t know you guys were in a relationship? You never had a relationship before, Mina-yah! How could you date Im Nayeon so sudden? Did she threaten you into dating her?!” Momo panics as she munch on her food.

 

Mina didn’t answer them instead she watched the video Sana sent her through their kakaotalk. It was indeed her and Nayeon. Someone must have been with them and took a video of them. But how come she didn’t notice? How would Nayeon feel about this? Will she hate Mina for this?

 

“That kiss really made you frozen!” Sana teased followed by a loud laugh. “But seriously, are you guys dating?” 

 

Mina shook her head, “No, we’re not. And the kiss wasn’t even on the lips! It was here in the corner!” She pointed where Nayeon had kissed her sounding so disappointed and didn’t go unnoticed by the two other Japanese.

 

“You seem disappointed?” Momo smirked. 

 

“I’m not! I was just—“ Mina stops when she heard a knock on her door then told the person to come in. To Mina’s surprise it was her mother looking at her with an unbearable expression. Mina said goodbye to the two girls before closing her laptop and facing her mother.

 

“Your father wants to talk with you..” 

 

 

 

 

It was a busy afternoon for Nayeon since their are more customers on Fridays and on the weekend. Mostly students and business people were eating in the bakery, some were take outs. 

 

“Do you make cakes?” An old lady in front of her asked, with a smile on her face. 

 

Nayeon smiled back, “We only make small ones for desserts. But not for birthdays. But I can suggest you a different store with birthday cakes.” Nayeon grabbed a piece of paper and a pen to write down the address when the old lady stopped her. 

 

“No, it’s fine. The cake here is fine. I don’t really have enough money for big cakes.” The old lady laughs as she opens her small purse, “It’s actually my birthday and I’m the only one who’s going to eat it,” she whispered to Nayeon as if it was a secret. 

 

Nayeon felt sad. The old lady was celebrating her birthday and it is what exactly she felt celebrating occasions since her mother was busy working before the accident happened. But Nayeon totally understand. She didn’t hated her mother for that, she actually adored her mother for her hardwork since it’s only the two of them. But now, Nayeon is alone.

 

“If you don’t mind me asking, where’s your family?” Nayeon asked, getting the cake from the cake refrigerator and putting it in the counter. 

 

“Oh, them...” The old lady’s voice became sad, Nayeon noticed. “They’re far away..” she tried to smile but failed. 

 

Nayeon pulls a box below the counter and placed the cake, making sure it was well secured. The old lady was handing her the money but Nayeon told her, “It’s on the house. Happy Birthday!” 

 

“Oh, no, no. This is your business so I must pay,” the lady insisted. 

 

“It’s okay. We already have much since there were lots of customers today.” 

 

Half of the money earned from the bakery will be Nayeon’s salary. 

 

“Okay..Thank you very much!” The lady said before leaving the store with a smile on her face and doing her cute little jump while walking making Nayeon laugh. 

 

“That was nice of you,” 

 

Nayeon heard a voice behind her. She turns to see Mr. Lee leaning on the door frame.

 

“Oppa, how long have you been here?” She felt a little scared since she let off the grandma without paying so she thought he might scold her.

 

“Since the old lady came here,” he smirked, walking Nayeon and messing up her hair. “That was so nice of you, Nayeon-ah,” he smiled. 

 

“You’re not angry?” Nayeon asked.

 

“Why would I be? That was nice. And look,” he leans to Nayeon with his hand on her shoulder and pointing to a group of high schoolers. “You have impressed the girls,” he winks then left the counter. 

 

 

 

 

 

“Father..”

 

Mina bowed to her dad who was sitting in the living room on his favorite chair. He placed down his newspaper when he heard Mina had called her, his expression was emotionless. Just like always. Mina hadn’t gotten into trouble so she’s a little confused to why his father called her even before dinner. Usually, they would all talk it out in dinner but Mina guessed this one was an important one. 

 

“Sit down, Mina.” His tone wasn’t angry but rather stern and Mina felt goosebumps in her hands. She had never done something in the past that would make his father disappointed or mad in any way. She always do her best to make him proud.

 

Mina didn’t say a word but sat down in on their expensive couch with her mother beside her, caressing her back. Now Mina’s a little worried.

 

“Now,” he crossed his legs. “I am sure you have seen the video, right? Now tell me. What’s your relationship with this girl? Was the whole thing a set up? And didn’t I tell you to be careful with other people?!” He raised his voice causing Mina to lower her head, her mother trying to calm him down. “And you’re fooling around when you are going to get married by the time you graduated?! Stop this, Mina. What ever you have with this girl, stop all of it.” 

 

Mina stayed mum. She, herself doesn’t know what’s the relationship between her and Nayeon. But whatever they have, is that she doesn’t want to stop it.

 

“Don’t worry. I’ve made my secretary remove all those videos before it reaches the media.” he said one last time, then on time, his phone rings making him leave the room. 

 

Mina lets out a huff once her father wasn’t in the same room as them anymore. Her mother beside her just gave her a smile and continues caressing her back. 

 

Mina can’t believe her father is still okay with this arrange marriage thing though her mother doesn’t seem to be interested at it too. She knows her mother would support her no matter what and that’s why Mina’s a lot closer to her mother than to her father. If any other families’ parents were always gone, the Myoui’s are different. It’s only the father who’s always missing since her mother already resigned her work years ago to take care of her daughter. 

 

“Mina..” her mother spoke and Mina only closed her eyes letting out a heavy sigh, waiting for her mother’s scolding. “Tell me about this girl who kissed you,” Mina opened her eyes. She couldn’t believe what she just heard.

 

“Y—you’re not angry?” Mina turns to her mother who was smiling at her.

 

“Why would I be? I am your mother and I will support no matter what your decision will be. Now tell me..” 

 

“She— Uhm.. I don’t know what’s our relationship now. I’ve— I’ve never felt like this, mommy.” Mrs. Myoui smiled when Mina called her mommy. 

 

Her mother lets out a small laugh, “Why are you stuttering so much? Does she makes you nervous?” 

 

Mina nodded, “Yes, even with just the thought of her makes my heart so happy, I could jump on my bed. But...But I have never felt anything like this before. I did have crushes but never felt anything like this. It’s new and it scares me.” 

 

“Mina, you might be in love with her?” Her mother teased. “Or maybe not since you two just met recently, right?” Mina nodded. “I know nothing about young love in your age right now because it was a little different in ours but I can tell you that whatever you’re feeling right now, don’t stop them. Because if you try to stop it, it will not fade but will only grow.”

 

“Should I tell her?”

 

“No, honey. At least when you’re ready. You might get rejected, you might not. I just don’t want you to get hurt. Ah, I remember the day when you had this little crush on our driver’s daughter.” 

 

“Moooooom, stop it! It was all in the past now,” Mina whines, slapping her mother’s arm playfully only causing her mother to laugh out loud. It was a rare sight in the Myoui household. 

 

“But honey, ask Momo and Sana about this. They might be the expert ones,” her mother made a gesture with her hand before kissing Mina on her forehead and excusing herself. 

 

“Wait— Do I like her? Am I really admitting I like her? Or maybe just a small crush. It will be gone for a few days if I stop these feelings. Yeah, that’s right.” Mina talked to herself not knowing the presence of her maids not far from her, listening to her while holding a laugh. “Oh, my god! This is so frustrating! This is your fault Nayeon for making me feel this way and for kissing me— on the corner of my lips.” Mina corrected herself before screaming on the pillow.

 

 

 

 

Walking down the hallway in the main building felt different from Mina since the video was released. It didn’t really bother her that much since they weren’t doing something inappropriate, right? It was just a kiss. But not on the lips. Sigh. But why does Mina wished it was on the lips instead? Oh that would make her blush so hard.

 

Some students were staring at her and some doesn’t even bother. She thought maybe the video is already deleted before it got big. That’s what Mina liked about the university. It would only take one to two days before everyone moves on from a scandal or viral video. 

 

Mina was walking with her head down since she’s being her shy self when she bumped into a person causing her to drop her phone. She was about to pick it up when a person beat her to it.

 

“Thank you,” she looks and it was Nayeon. She smiled at her but the older ignored her and walked away.

 

Mina felt embarrassed though it was only her and Nayeon. She figured Nayeon was in a hurry but she could at least smile? But other than feeling embarrassed, she felt her chest tighten. After talking to her mother, she finally admitted that she has a crush on her. Yeah, only a crush. 

 

Her gaze was following Nayeon until she made a turn making her sigh. 

 

She made it to her class a minute late but the professor was nowhere to be found. She sat between Sana and Momo who were busy talking and stopped when Mina sat down with a frown on her face and lays her head down on her table. 

 

“Still sad about Nayeon not kissing you on the lips?” Sana teased, poking her sides while Momo laughs. When Mina didn’t respond, the older Japanese looks at each other then shrugs.

 

“What’s wrong?” Momo asked, leaning closer to Mina — copying her position then Sana follows. “Are you upset about the video? It’s already deleted, don’t worry.” 

 

Mina shook her head, “It’s not about that. It’s about Nayeon.” she deeply sighs. 

 

“So the kiss?” 

 

“Nooooo. Earlier before I came here, I bumped into Nayeon and I smiled at her but she just ignored me.” Mina sighs and closes her eyes reminiscing what happened earlier.

 

“Well maybe the rumor is true,” Sana said making Mina turns to her with a frown. “What? They said Nayeon will stop talking to you if she gets what she wanted. Like what happened to Irene,” Sana slapped Momo’s head who was dozing off.

 

“Ye— Wha? Oh yeah, that. She took Irene’s ity then she broke up with her.” Momo whispers. 

 

Mina choked in her own saliva, “And you guys believe that?”

 

“I don’t know, it was Seulgi who spread it.” Sana shrugs. 

 

The three had stopped talking once the professor entered the room. But Mina, stayed in her position ignoring the two telling her to sit properly. Mina keeps replaying the situation earlier with Nayeon and it just makes her chest tighten. 

 

 

 

 

Mina’s next subject was a different one. All the students were mixed — freshman, sophomore, juniors and seniors are together in one class inside the auditorium and for sure Nayeon will be there. But she doesn’t know whether to approach the older girl or not. As she entered the room, she immediately spotted her crush and a vacant seat beside her so she wasted no time walks to her. 

 

“Is this seat taken?” 

 

Nayeon shook her head without looking at her. She sat beside her seeing how Nayeon gulps. A student entered the room announcing that the faculty members will have a meeting so there won’t be any class at this hour but students are required to stay inside the room making everyone groans including Nayeon. 

 

She keeps stealing glances at Nayeon who was dozing off. 

 

Mina felt like crying. She hates what she’s feeling right now. She felt weak. 

 

Grabbing the hem of Nayeon’s jacket, Mina started tugging it to get the older’s attention which was successful. Nayeon looks at her with a brow raised. 

 

“Are—are we still going to meet at lunch?” Mina asked. 

 

Nayeon shook her head, “No.” then turns her gaze away from Mina. 

 

Mina feels her tears forming in her eyes. She looks down still holding Nayeon’s jacket. Maybe what Momo said was true. Maybe Nayeon already got what she wanted from Mina. But what was it? Was it making Mina fall for her? 

 

Nayeon, on the other hand, heard a sniff beside her. She looks to see Mina crying quietly, she felt guilty. She thought Mina was mad at her because of the video but she thought wrong. Mina wouldn’t be like this if she was mad at Nayeon. She wouldn’t ask her if they’re still going to meet during lunch, or even cry like this. 

 

Her gaze were at Mina’s hands holding her jacket tightly then traveled to her eyes filled with diamond tears caused by her. 

 

“Mina...” she placed a hand on her check, wiping the tears. “I’m sorry...” then pulled her into a hug, ignoring the people that are looking at them. 

 

“Unnie, if I did something, please...I’m sorry,” Mina buried her head into Nayeon’s chest. 

 

“I’m sorry for ignoring you earlier. I thought you were mad about the video.” Mina somehow calmed down when Nayeon was caressing her back. Mina pulled away from the embrace they shared, wiping away her tears then looks at Nayeon. 

 

“I— I didn’t know about the video until Mark showed it to me and I immediately assumed you were mad.” Nayeon added. “And I’m sorry I kissed you I just thought you were cute when you were rambling so kissing you was the first thing that came into mind.” 

 

Mina wipes her tears pulling Nayeon closer so she can hug her. Then a faint ‘it’s okay’ was heard coming from the younger. 

 

“So are we okay now?” Nayeon asked then felt Mina nodded in her shoulder.

 

 

 

 

 

“3...2..1...Your time’s up! Hey—! Mina get down you might get hurt!” Nayeon said holding Mina’s skirt trying to pull her down from the tree she was trying to climb safely.

 

After the video went viral in the university, both girls decided that they had to change their meet up location, far from the main building in the campus. 

 

“Not fair! I haven’t even got to the top yet! And I’m wearing a skirt, of course I’ll be having a hard time climbing it! Your dare is laaaaame!” Mina pouted, crossing her arms as she sat beside Nayeon then she looks at Nayeon with a raised brow, “You didn’t try to peek, right?”

 

Nayeon blushed, “Of course not! You’re wearing a short so how would I—“ 

 

“Yah! You said you didn’t peek!” Mina throws punches at Nayeon who was laughing. 

 

“I was joking! Mina, stop!” Nayeon laughs.

 

Once they settled in their new spot, both girls played games. At first it was hide and seek, (Mina’s requests) but since Mina couldn’t hide properly because of her skirt (It was just an excuse because she loses a lot, Nayeon thought to herself) they had to stop and change their game. So, they decided to play truth or dare (again, Mina’s request). 

 

“Your turn!” Mina looks at Nayeon, “Truth..or Dare?!”

 

Nayeon thinks for a moment, “Uuh..truth!”

 

The younger girl scoffs, “You’re so weak! Booooo!” she leans her head to Nayeon’s shoulder, “How many girlfriends and boyfriends have you had?” 

 

“Tons.” 

 

“Really? How many?”

 

“One question per truth.”

 

Mina whines, “Come on! Tell me!” she started moving annoyingly like a spoiled child. “Tell meeeeeeeee!!”

 

“Okay, okay! Just stop moving like that you’re making me dizzy,” Nayeon gulps, “Ten,”

 

“Ten?!”

 

“Ten.” Nayeon looks at Mina, who was looking at somewhere but her.

 

“Who were they?” Mina clings herself on Nayeon’s arm.

 

“Mina, that’s too many questions for one truth!” The older laughs. “And if I tell you, you wouldn’t know them.” 

 

Mina sighs, “J—just tell me...” 

 

“The others were when I was still in high school. Kim Min-ju, she was younger than me..5 years younger and she was a sophomore. Kwon Eunbi, one of my classmate. And Kang Hye-won—“

 

“Why do I feel like they’re all very pretty?” Mina started playing with Nayeon’s hand, wondering how they are so long.

 

“Well, they are.” 

 

Mina hums, “Who else?”

 

“I don’t really remember the others anymore. Some only lasted for weeks.” The older snickers. 

 

“What about now? Does one of your exes go here?”

 

Nayeon nods.

 

“Who?”

 

“Irene.” The older replies, coldly.

 

Mina sits up straight letting go Nayeon’s hand, “Y—you..” she clears . “You still love her?” she looks at Nayeon with hope in her eyes. She hopes Nayeon doesn’t anymore. 

 

Then she sees Nayeon sighs, “I—I don’t know..we just broke up months ago.”

 

Oh. 

 

“But every time I see her..I always feel angry for some reason.” Nayeon added. 

 

Mina doesn’t know what to feel. Should she be happy because Nayeon feels angry every time she sees Irene? Or sad because Nayeon is not sure if she still loves her ex? And why angry? She wanted to ask but she stops herself from doing so.

 

Both girls stayed silent for a while probably resting from talking.

 

“Mina, you know...” Nayeon started, then the silent atmosphere suddenly vanished. 

 

Mina looks at her almost too fast, “What?!” then Nayeon flicks her forehead. “Why did you do that?!” she massages it.

 

“That’s what you get for asking too many questions. Now’s your turn. Let’s say you said truth. Have you been in a relationship?”

 

Mina froze. 

 

“I— my parents are very strict of me being in a relationship. But I’ve gone to few dates but I didn't really liked it. I liked no one at the dates it was only forced and set ups by Momo unnie and Sana unnie."

 

“Ah..rich girl problems.” 

 

“It’s actually not a problem. I mean— I wasn’t even ready to be in a relationship back then but now...” she thought of her and Nayeon, “I think I am.” 

 

“So you’ve never had your first kiss yet?” 

 

“I have. But it was an accident! Sana pushed Momo and I while we were doing a pepero challenge.” The younger rolls her eyes at the memory. “It was only my upper lips though.”

 

“Doyouwantmetokissyourlowerlips?” 

 

“What?” 

 

“What?” Nayeon copies.

 

“You said it too fast I didn’t understand.”

 

“I didn’t say anything..” 

 

“You’re stupid!” Mina slaps Nayeon’s head then stood up, reaching a hand for the older. “Let’s go eat something. I’m hungry,” 

 

Nayeon gladly took the hand, “Did you drop the cheese kimbap, again?” she teases.

 

“No!” Mina runs away while Nayeon follows her, laughing. 

 

 

 

 

“You look happy. Seems like you already knew Jeongyeon was here, huh?”

 

Mina halts, looking at their living room located near the front door. There, was her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Yoo, and Jeongyeon, holding a bouquet of roses with a smile on her face. If only Mina could tell them, she would.

 

Jeongyeon stood up from her seat walking to Mina handing her the bouquet and was aiming to kiss her on the cheek when Mina moves her head causing Jeongyeon to kiss Mina near her ear. Much to Jeongyeon’s disappointment, she faked a smile. 

 

“You two are so lovely! I can’t wait for the wedding day!” Mrs. Yoo exclaims, clapping her hands and gave a loving smile to Mina’s parents. 

 

“It’s a bummer that we’ll still have to wait until both of them graduates..” Mrs. Myoui, smiled and looks at Mina sending her a wink.

 

Mina wanted to laugh at her mother for her act but she held it in. She’s glad that her mother accepts her. 

 

“When will be the wedding? And where?” Mr. Yoo asks. “I hope it’s at the beach. Everyone loves the beach!” he laughs.

 

“Yeah..the .” Mina mumbled, earning a look from Jeongyeon. 

 

“Honey and I was thinking at Jeju. Since that was the place we first brought Mina when she e.” Mr. Myoui held her wife’s hand and smile. 

 

“That would be pretty cool,” Jeongyeon joins looking at Mina who only gave her a nod. “A—and it will be pretty romantic.” she stutters not tearing her eyes off Mina. 

 

“They’re so in love,” Mrs. Yoo sighs in content. “I’m just so excited for the wedding,” 

 

Both parents started talking about the wedding while the two daughters sat beside each other awkwardly, listening to their chat and joining every now and then until the maid told them the dinner was ready which still hasn’t stop them from talking about it even during the meal. It was pretty much boring for Mina, so only keeps thinking about her and Nayeon on a situation she’s not sure that was going to happen. The parents saw how she was smiling the whole time (while she thinks of Nayeon) assuming it was because of Jeongyeon who tried to talk to her. After dinner, they had coffee outside the house in their very own garden but Mina had to skip saying she was tired. 

 

 

 

 

Standing on a balcony of her room thinking she was alone, Mina stared at the moon her thoughts still at a certain senior. But her thought were interrupted by a clearing of throat. She turns and it was Jeongyeon, standing on the door frame of her balcony.

 

“Hey,” Jeongyeon said.

 

The younger scoffs turning her whole body to the other girl, “Stop the whole crap, Jeong. Were you the one who showed the video to my father?”

 

“Y—yeah..I didn’t mean to. It just so happened that he was by my side when we were having dinner at the restaurant then he asked me who it was.” 

 

“And you told him who it was?” 

 

Jeongyeon nodded, “Because I couldn’t lie to your father, Mina.” she walks closer to her. 

 

“You could’ve just told him that you didn’t know!” Mina raised her voice, careful not to attract unwanted attention.

 

“Why would I do that?! Mina...I’ll do anything to keep you away from that idiot!” Jeongyeon tried holding Mina but the younger only retracts herself.

 

“Don’t you dare call her an idiot! She has a name!”

 

“Mina, can’t you see?! We’re going to marry each other once we both graduates! That Im doesn’t stand a ing chance!” 

 

“She does stand a chance! Because I said so and I know so. A chance that you won’t get from me.” Mina smirks. “Now, get out!”

 

“Mina, I’m sorry—“

 

“Save it.” 

 

“Please—“

 

“I said, get out!”

 

“You know, I’ll still try to win you.” Jeongyeon said before opening the door.

 

“You won’t. Because someone already won.” 

 

The Jeongyeon closes the door accepting her defeat. For the night. 

 

Mina relaxed herself locking her door.

 

“Oh my god..” she covers her face with her hand, “I can’t believe I said Nayeon already won me..” she squeals quietly, jumping to her bed covering her face with a pillow.

 

 

 

 

“Yeah...I can’t really change her mind. You know what to do.” 

 

“What do I get from this?” 

 

“You already know who. You love her right? Then do it. It’s not too late.” 

 

 

 

 

Sorry for the slow update!! We lost internet connection HAHAHAHA!! 

no proof read.