nineteen

The Unexpected Fall

 

It’s been a month.

 

A month since Mina told her to keep their relationship private.

 

She was fine with it. Really. It’s not like they would hide it forever. It’s temporary.

 

But why does it feel like this.

 

Whenever they would go out, Mina would have to introduce her as a friend. Mina wouldn’t let her hold her hand when they walk, unless they’re alone. She can only kiss Mina when they’re at their spot or inside the bakery. Mina would move away a little whenever Jeongyeon was on sight. It’s like their relationship was a dangerous thing that they have to keep everyone else unable to see it. Nayeon was happy that they could do couple things with Mina’s best friends, Sana and Momo, with Mark, the School Meal Club, the student council president, Jihyo and the couple, Irene and Seulgi. And most importantly, Mina’s mother.

 

At least one of the Myoui knows their relationship, right?

 

Sometimes Mina would ignore Nayeon whenever she’s with Jeongyeon and when they see each other in public. But after that, Mina would visit her at Irene’s, telling her sorry and would kiss her as much as Nayeon want.

 

She said it’s fine. But that doesn’t mean it wouldn’t hurt.

 

 

 

 

“I’m happy that you’re well now, Mrs. Lee,” Nayeon said, “Selling the bakery was worth it.” she laughs.

 

“Thank you, Nayeon.” Mrs. Lee hugs Nayeon as she was about to leave their house. “Come back soon.”

 

“I will!” Nayeon waves at her then closes their gate.

 

As soon as Nayeon turns, it was the fresh air and a cold wind that passed though her whole body making her shiver slightly. Watching the neighborhood as she walks happily, greeting old people watering their plants outside their houses. She was happy that Mr. Lee Min Ho’s wife was finally out from the hospital after weeks of

recovering from her surgery. Maybe selling the bakery was really worth it even if Nayeon lost a home, it did save a life.

 

“Okay, now where’s my scooter.” Nayeon wanders her eyes around the area. The neighborhood Mr and Mrs Lee was staying banned vehicles from entering the area due to past accidents. Now Nayeon’s scooter is missing.

 

“Oh god please don’t tell me it got stolen!” She panics. “I just got it done, what the hell?” She runs around the area in hopes to find her scooter she thought she just misplaced. She sat in the middle of the road with a pout on her face. She picks up some small stones and throws it everywhere. She keeps chanting the word “stupid” over and over again, ignoring the looks from people passing by.

 

“Hey!” She hears someone but she doesn’t budge or turns to look. “Hey!” They call again. “Hey! The girl in the middle of the road!” Their voice got nearer. She looks up to see a girl with cat eyes staring down at her.

 

It was a girl.

 

“What?” Nayeon replies blandly. “If you’re asking me to move away then it would take you years.”

 

“I got your scooter, stupid!” She shakes her head. Nayeon immediately stood up from the ground and sees her scooter parking on the side. She runs to it and gave it a hug.

 

“Oh my god! Oh my god!” She jumps in her place. “You’re baaaaaack!”

 

“I found it outside our house. You parked it there in case you forgot!”

 

Nayeon stares at her, “Really? I guess I forgot, huh?” she smiled. “Nayeon,” she reaches out a hand. “Im Nayeon.”

 

“Jennie. Kim Jennie.” She shook Nayeon’s hand. “Now, give me a ride back at the city.”

 

 

 

 

Mina was stuck in a meeting. Not hers, but her father’s. He said he wanted to have a word with her again. But he would only end up asking her about what’s happening between her and Jeongyeon. She wished she could just tell him her relationship with Nayeon. Her mother approves them so why can’t he?

 

Sitting inside the meeting room was boring. She couldn’t even use her own phone for ‘it will make a noise’ quoting what her father had said before the meeting. She was about to leave when the door opens revealing the girl she doesn’t wanna see. Yoo Jeongyeon.

 

She was about to ask what she was doing her but her father beat her to it.

 

“Ah! Here she is, my daughter’s future wife.” He laughs, clapping his hands. People inside the room started greeting her aside from Mina who just ignored the older girl. “Yoo Jeongyeon here will be the next CEO of the Yoo Inc. and will also be a share holder of our very own company just the same as my daughter, Myoui Mina.”

 

“Mr. Yoo and I have been planning this since they were little kids. We trained them, sent them to one of the most amazing school in South Korea. With both of the companies joining forces, it will be the greatest and most powerful company in Asia.” He added as he smiled proudly at his own plan. Jeongyeon claps her hands while Mina only groaned. “But we still have to wait a couple more since my daughter and Jeongyeon are still in college.” He winks as everyone laughs. Again, aside from Mina.

 

Mr. Myoui told everyone they can leave as the meeting has ended. He walks to his daughter and her so called future wife, Yoo Jeongyeon. “I guess you two had a— what do you call this? A lover’s quarrel.”

 

He noticed the way Mina was facing the other way and Jeongyeon keeps looking at her.

 

“I’ll leave you two be. And Jeongyeon? Please fix whatever the problem you have with my daughter.” He smiled at her, “I’ll be leaving now.” Then he leaves the room leaving the two.

 

“So—“

 

“Why did you agree to do this?” Mina cuts her off as she turns her whole body to face the older girl with her arms folded on her chest.

 

“What?” Jeongyeon was shocked at Mina’s sudden change of tone. She wasn’t like this.

 

“You heard me, why?”

 

“You heard your father. My dad and Mr. Myoui had been planning this since we were kids. We don’t have a choice anymore, Mina. We have to do this!” The older was felt the raise of her voice.

 

“We have a choice, Jeongyeon. We could team up and tell them we don’t want this! We could—“ Mina stops and looks at the older girl, “...you want this...do you?”

 

Jeongyeon didn’t reply.

 

“Oh my god!” Mina laughs bitterly, standing up with her right hand raking her hair. “You wanted this! I can’t—“

 

“It’s because I like you!” Jeongyeon raised her voice making Mina stop. “I have been. For years now, heck I don’t even know if this is still like. Mina, I love you. If this is the only thing that would make me have you, then I’ll do it.”

 

“No...” Mina said weakly. “Jeongyeon, no!”

 

“We— I don’t see you that way. I have—“ she was struggling to breath, “I have a—“

 

“You’re dating someone else.” Jeongyeon stated as if it was the scariest thing. Her eyes widen and she felt her knees weakened. “Right?” she asked, thinking she just assumed something but with the look on Mina’s face, she doesn’t need anymore answer. “I just hope I won’t find out who, Mina. Because if I do, I’ll make sure they won’t see you again.”

 

It was the last thing that Jeongyeon said before she left the room.

 

 

 

 

“When do you think mom would wake up?” Nayeon looks at her brother with a small pout on her lips.

 

“Soon.” Jeabum said, smiling at Nayeon.

 

The sound of beeping soon after was the only thing the was heard inside the room. Both of them stares lovingly at their mother. Nayeon was already losing hope before, but when her brother told her that her mother made a movement, that’s when she started believing again that she would wake up soon.

 

Nayeon sighs and her brother looks at her.

 

“What?” He asked.

 

“I just really miss mom.” Nayeon holds her mother’s hand. “I miss hearing her scoldings at me.” she laughs quietly.

 

“Me too. The last time I saw her was when father and I was packing. I couldn’t tell her we were leaving because she was already crying beside your hospital bed. I don’t want to break her heart again—“

 

“Yet you did.” Nayeon tightens her hold.

 

“I’m sorry.” Jeabum looks down.

 

“It’s okay. At least you’re here now, she’ll be happy to wake up with her son in front of her and—“ Nayeon suddenly felt a movement in her hand. She looks at it making her brother confused.

 

“What?”

 

“I felt her hand move.” Her heart was beating too fast. “I—I’m not lying I felt her finger move!” she looks at him with a smile. Then she lets her mother’s hand rest on her bed.

 

“There!” She points at the hand that was trying to move. Her mother’s index finger moved like a heartbeat.

 

The two was busy looking at her fingers when they didn’t realize that their mother was slowly opening her eyes, trying to adjust the light and blinking her eyes fast at the sudden shine. But she couldn’t utter a word to tell her children she has awoken. She felt tears falling down to her cheeks watching them looking so focused on her finger when her eyes had opened and her cheeks was wet.

 

“Na...” Yoona’s voice was dry. After months of sleeping without any water made dry like the dessert.

 

The two who was busy having a staring contest at their mother’s hand raised their heads fast, almost breaking it on the process. They see their mother smiling at them weakly, tears dripping down her face. The two widens their eyes but stayed quiet, couldn’t comprehend to what was seeing in their eyes.

 

“Mom!” It was Nayeon who first yelled, also crying from happiness. She embraced her mother, finally, for how many months. Hugging her while asleep was very different from now. “Mommy!” she cries, while her brother stayed in his place, watching the two.

 

“Jeabum oppa is here..” Nayeon looks into her mother’s loving eyes. “He came back. He’s already a doctor, mom.” she moves away from her mother’s view, revealing her brother who was standing awkwardly.

 

“Mom...” Jeabum also cries, hugging her mother tightly. He doesn’t know if her mother even remembers her. But you know what they say, mothers never forget.

“I—I’m sorry for leaving you...”

 

Her mother could only smile as she closes her eyes, feeling the warmth of her children as they shared an embrace. She was happy. Though she cannot say it in words be she was. Seeing two of her children finally in one room.

 

A doctor and a nurse entered their room after Jeabum called that her mother was now awake after months of being in a coma. They were told she could leave after 24 hours of monitoring.

 

She was able to finally talk, though with limited words, after consuming water she hasn’t had for months. Fresh cold water running down . Nayeon was rambling, telling her mother about what happened while she was sleeping. She told how Mr. Lee Min Ho took her when she was seen alone (she doesn’t have a heart telling her mother that she got beat up when he has seen her), working on a bakery as it is also her room temporarily. She also told her that she met a girl. Her mother was skeptical about at first knowing Nayeon’s past. But the way Nayeon spoke about Mina, her mother knew she was genuine about her.

 

“I also met her mother. She was really sweet and she drank the whole bottle of wine I gave her when they visited the bakery.” Nayeon tells, preparing the soup her brother bought for their mother.

 

Jeabum also had to leave as he was also taking care of their father that they haven’t told their mother about.

 

“What’s the name?” Nayeon knew her mother was asking about Mina’s mother.

 

“I didn’t got her name, actually...” she scratches her nape. “But I call her Mrs. Myoui.”

 

Mrs. Im’s smile dropped a little. The last name was too familiar to her. To familiar that she remembers her husband working for someone called Myoui before the accident years back. She tried remembering, but all she could remember was an 8 or 9 year old Nayeon telling stories about a girl named Minari who she had met on her husband’s work.

 

“Mom, are you okay? You look weird.”

 

Nodding, she said, “Yes. I just remembered someone’s last name is also Myoui.”

 

“Oh! Maybe their relatives!” Nayeon smiled. “Anyway, mother you have to eat this though its texture looks weird but oppa said it’s healthy and it will make your bones stronger.” she stirs the soup from the bowl.

 

“I’m glad you two are okay now. After years of being separated you quickly got along.” Yoona, Nayeon’s mother, smiled.

 

“Yeah, we got a little heated the first time we met. I was shouting at him because I couldn’t control my anger. I also met father—“ Nayeon covers . She and Jaebum had agreed not to tell their mother first about their father. “You didn’t hear anything!”

 

“My dear husband is here, huh?” Yoona smirked and leans on her bed. “It’s been years since I saw that idiot.” Then she looks at Nayeon. “When I get out of here, take me to him.”

 

Nayeon only looks at her mother.

 

“I’m just gonna punch him in the face.” Yoona then laughs mimicking how the villains laugh only to cough after.

 

Then it was Nayeon’s turn to snort at her mother.

 

 

 

 

Mina didn’t want this.

 

She never did even for just a second.

 

She was packing her clothes after her father had told her that they were going back to Japan for a few days, with the Yoo family. She tried to excuse herself from going but her father insisted, also Mr. Yoo and his wife.

 

Leaving in two hours, Mina was planning something in her head.

 

She looks outside her window to see a few guards standing outside and inside the gate. Two vehicles parked near the fountain and a maid carrying bags to the car. She dials Sana’s number and waits for her to pick up.

 

“Hello—“

 

“Sana!”

 

“What?”

 

“Pick me up in 5.” Then she drops the call.

 

She was nervous on what she was about to do. She’s never done something like this before.

 

She drags her suitcase outside her room declining their maid’s offer to carry the bag for her. Her plan wouldn’t work if someone else brings her bag.

 

She was finally outside when she sees Sana’s car parking outside their gate. She walks to her casually, ignoring one of their bodyguard’s call. She shoves her bag inside Sana’s car and enters the passenger seat.

 

“What the hell are you thinking, Mina? Aren’t you leaving in two hours?” Sana looks at Mina like she did a crime.

 

“I still have two hours to see Nayeon unnie. Now, take me to her.” Mina smiled.

 

“Your father is gonna— you know what? I’m not even gonna say it.”

 

Sana the ignition and started driving. Mina was a bit nervous— no, she was hella nervous. If she doesn’t come back in 2 hours, her father’s gonna find her. Fast. And there is a possibility that she will be with Nayeon and she doesn’t want her girlfriend to get involved.

 

“No, she doesn’t stay at the bakery anymore.” Mina said when Sana was about to turn. “Let’s go to Irene’s.”

 

Sana looks at her.

 

“She’s staying with Irene and Seulgi.”

 

Sana looks at her again but with one brow raised.

 

“They’re okay now! Just drive, Sana!”

 

“Where’s the unnie!?”

 

“Drive, Sana unnie!”

 

 

 

 

Nayeon sighs. She didn’t thought that it would end up like this.

 

She watched the couple try their best to roll the rolling pin on the very wet dough. Seulgi added too much water than the flour that it ended up all soggy. She tried teaching them how to make bread and it all went downhill. Irene keeps adding the wrong ingredients while Seulgi added too much ingredients.

 

“This is a disaster.” Nayeon sighs on more time, laughing as she looks at the camera in front of them. They decided to document the couple’s first ever bread making.

 

“A beautiful disaster!” Seulgi claps her hands full of flour causing Irene to cough from inhaling the flour. “I’m sorry, babe.”

 

A knock on the door interrupted them. The three exchanged looks to who will open it, and it was taking forever.

 

“Fine I’ll get it!”

 

Nayeon stomps her way to the door and giving a glare at the couple before opening the door. Nayeon’s frown quickly disappeared as soon as she sees who knocked on the door. Standing outside was her girlfriend and Sana but Nayeon’s main focus was on her Mina who has a bag on her.

 

“Are you gonna move in here, too?” Nayeon jokes, moving aside so the two Japanese girls could enter.

 

“Oh,” Mina looks at her bag then laughs, “I’m not. I’m just here seeing you before I leave.” she looks around the house.

 

Nayeon froze in her place, “L—leave? You’re leaving? Where are you going?” She was starting to panic. She walks to her girlfriend holding both of her cheeks together, squeezing it.

 

“I’m going to Japan in like...” Mina checks the time on her phone, “1 hour and 35 minutes. I’ll be back in a couple of days.”

 

Nayeon lets Mina go then sighed in relief, placing a hand on her chest. “Gosh, I thought you were leaving for good!”

 

“I wouldn’t leave you, unnie.” Mina buries her head on Nayeon’s chest while the rest just watched the two. “You smell good.”

 

“What are you going to do in Japan?”

 

“Hmmm. Just family stuff.” Mina hums, eyes closed. “I don’t want to go but I can’t. My father will kill me!”

 

“This taste good, Nayeon did you make this?” Sana screams from the kitchen, one finger raised in front of .

 

“I made those!” Seulgi interrupts.

 

“No you didn’t!” Sana argues.

 

“Yes, I did.”

 

“No.”

 

“Yes!”

 

“Stop!” Irene stops the two from their childish argument. “So immature.” She mumbles.

 

Sana wipes her finger on her pants as she walks to Mina who was still busy hugging her girlfriend. “Minari, we have to go.”

 

“Don’t wanna.” Mina tightens her grip on Nayeon. “Wanna stay here,” she pouts though no one could see it.

 

“You’re such a child,” Sana rolls her eyes. “How about you take Nayeon with you to Japan.”

 

Mina raised her head, “That’s actually a good idea, Satang.”

 

“Oh, no, no, no. Mina, it’s a family trip I can’t—“ Nayeon shakes her head.

 

“Please go with meeeeeee,” Mina whines, giving Nayeon her puppy eyes. “Unnie, pleaseeee. Mom would be happy if you’re there.”

 

Nayeon doesn’t know whether she should go or not. It’s a family trip and she doesn’t wanna bother them just because Mina is so clingy and she wants her girlfriend their. And besides, it’s not like they can do couple things while in Japan since Mina’s father is on the picture and they still have to hide their relationship to her father and two other people but from her mother who is so supportive. Mr. Myoui might not like Nayeon even just as a friend if he’ll know her status in life.

 

But the way Mina’s looking at Nayeon right now, with her puppy eyes and a matching pout on her face, it was hard to resist. She couldn’t say no.

 

“Okay,” Nayeon gives in and Mina cheers.

 



 

 

NO PROOFREAD!!! Akakakakakaka

next chapter won't be too soft, i tell you