three

The Unexpected Fall

 

The morning is calm, and so is the neighborhood. Mina was taking her weekly jog early in the morning where people around are still dreaming in their beds. Running through sidewalks by sidewalks avoiding big dumpsters in each side, streetlights turning off one by one as the sun rises behind Mina. 

 

Music running to her ears was not an excuse to not hear a loud groan in a shallow alleyway that Mina had passed through. She stopped her tracks, removing her earphone in her left ear trying to hear where to groan came from. A faint ‘’ was heard by Mina making her jumped a little as it was near her. 

 

“This is what happens when you don’t ing pay!” 

 

A man’s voice was heard. Mina carefully walked on a concrete wall taking a peek to what was happening.

 

“I’ll give you a second chance, you !” 

 

It was a woman wearing a hoodie and two men with a cap. It was also seen that there was a another person kneeling on the ground with their hands tied up behind  them which shocked Mina but quickly covered to avoid any noise. 

 

“I—I’ll....pay— just gi—give me time..”

 

“You better!” Then a punch was thrown making the person fall to the ground. 

 

Mina heard a vehicle stopped behind her, it was also heard by people in the alley causing them to run away leaving the lifeless body on the ground. Mina was about to run to help the person but a presence of a person stopped her.

 

“Lady Mina, you have to go back to the mansion now.” The driver said, opening the door of the car. Mina nod, and entered the vehicle. 

 

Through the window, Mina takes a look again at the alley seeing the person struggling to stand up and stumbling but luckily leaned their self on the tall wooden fence who also looked at Mina with a small portion of blood streaming down her face. 

 

“Im...” Mina whispered to herself. 

 

That’s when Mina felt a thud in her heart.

 

But why did she felt it? 

 

Was it pity?

 

Was it regret that she didn’t helped her?

 

 

 

——

 

 

Mina cannot erase Nayeon’s injured face in her mind. She tried, but she can’t. Guilt was tripping inside her and she did not do anything to help. She couldn’t stay focus from what their professor was saying, she kept looking at the door expecting someone to enter since they have the same class. Tapping her pen continuously making the girl beside her nudge her side softly.

 

“Stop it,” 

 

She said a quick sorry, then went back to looking at the door. She cannot really focus. She tried jolting down notes but the memory of Nayeon was still appearing in her head. 

 

There were in the middle of their discussion when the door busted open revealing a limping Nayeon with a cast on her arm. Everyone wasn’t surprised at the view but Mina was. To them, it wasn’t new. They got used to it ever since Nayeon started attending the university. Nayeon limped towards her seat at the very last row struggling at the stairs but no one dared to help her. Mina was watching every move, guilt growing within her. The moment Nayeon sat down alone at the back, Mina still has her eyes on her. 

 

Mina widens her eyes when Nayeon looked at her. Or maybe at her direction. Mina followed her gazed and there was another beautiful girl staring at her. 

 

Do they know each other? 

 

Throughout the whole class, Mina kept stealing glances at Nayeon who was nowhere near at listening to the discussions. Once the class ended, Mina did not hesitate to walk to where Nayeon was but a girl — who also kept looking at Nayeon — beat her to it. She watched her help Nayeon walk down the stairs. But Mina also did not missed the way Nayeon rolled her eyes when the girl was talking. 

 

“Mina,” she felt a tap on her shoulder. It was Momo. “Are you okay? You look pale,” 

 

Mina nodded, “Yeah, yes. I— I’m okay..” 

 

“Then let’s go! Sana and Jeongyeon are already there, waiting.” 

 

Mina rolled her eyes at the mentioned name. She won’t forget the way Jeongyeon kept trying to hold her hand during their dinner last night. 

 

Upon arriving at the dining area, Mina automatically searched for someone she owe an apology for. Every table they passed through she kept checking each faces but failed. Her friends were looking at her weirdly even some students because Mina looked like a fool turning her whole body around every now and then. 

 

Then she heard a laughter coming from their table. 

 

“You know you look ridiculous when you do that. Who are you looking for?” Momo asked pulling a seat beside her for Mina. 

 

“No one,” Mina answered, placing her bag on the table. “Where’s Sana?” She asked, changing the topic. 

 

“And Jeongyeon?” Momo added, causing Mina to give her a look. “They went to buy our food,” 

 

Mina only nodded turning her head to try to look for someone again. Every direction Mina’s head turn, Momo will look at the same direction trying to look for someone who she doesn’t even know. 

 

Later, Jeongyeon and Sana arrived with trays in each of their hands. Jeongyeon placed Momo’s in front of her, and then Sana, placed Mina’s tray unintentionally too hard causing a glass of coke fall into Mina’s uniform. 

 

“Oh ! I am so sorry, Mina!” Sana said trying to wipe the liquid of off her uniform. 

 

“It’s okay, Sana.” Mina wiped her uniform. “Is there a washroom here?” she asked. 

 

“Yeah. Just outside this building then turn left and another left.” Jeongyeon said gesturing her hand the directions. 

 

 

 

 

 

Mina followed Jeongyeon’s direction. She was expecting a bathroom but instead it was a laundry room she see as soon as she took a turn on the corner. Inside the room was bright and it has big windows in each wall. Uniform hanging from the ceiling and washing machines from corner to the end. 

 

“What do I do now?” She looked around the room to look for something she could wear before she takes of her uniform. But luckily, she found robes hanging on a rack stand. She removed her uniform then grabbed herself a robe, putting it on then placing her uniform inside the machine. 

 

While washing her clothes, she looked around the room, admiring the designs. This school never fail to amaze Mina. Who would expect that a school has their own laundry room? While looking around, she find herself twisting a door knob which leads outside. Just another exit. 

 

She was about to step outside when she heard someone talking. 

 

“We need to talk..” 

 

“There’s nothing to talk about.” That voice sound familiar to Mina. 

 

“Please,” they plead. 

 

Then the bell rang. 

 

“Let’s talk later..” then footsteps started fading away. Mina thinking that the people talking already left, she step outside only to be surprised by Nayeon about to enter the room. It was Mina’s chance to apologize to Nayeon. But that didn’t entered her mind.

 

“What are you doing here?” Nayeon asked, sounding like Mina was invading her property. “and why are you wearing a robe?” 

 

“Class is starting,” she added. 

 

“My uniform got stained,” Mina said softly, carefully trying not to sound nervous. But why was she nervous though?

 

“Go to class.” Nayeon demands looking intently at Mina’s eyes showing no emotions in her face. 

 

“My uniform is still washing. I can’t go wearing a robe..” Mina looked down completely embarrassed. She was starting to confuse herself. Why was she acting like this in front of Im Nayeon?

 

What Mina didn’t notice was Nayeon removing her jacket and handing it to Mina. “Here. You can wear that until your blouse get cleaned.” 

 

Mina abruptly looks at Nayeon seeing her only in a t-shirt and a track pants and her jacket in her hand. Mina shook her head. 

 

“It’s okay. I can just wait,” she smiled.

 

Nayeon exhales, showing that she was getting impatient. She dropped her jacket into Mina’s head then started walking away, “Wear it.” then her silhouette disappeared from the corner. 

 

 

 

——

 

 

Walking back to her class while wearing Nayeon’s jacket got the other students looking at her weirdly. The dryer she was about to use was broken making her hanging up her blouse and wearing Nayeon’s jacket. The jacket was big on her and she guessed with Nayeon too considering they almost have the same body figure. She heard whispers, got confused and weirded out looks but she just ignored them. 

 

What’s wrong with wearing someone else’s jacket? 

 

“Hey Mi— woah! Whose jacket is that?” Momo stopped herself from giving Mina a hug like what she does on her usual greeting to Mina. “You look like an outcast.” she grinned.

 

Mina rolled her eyes, “The dryer is broken.”

 

“You didn’t answer my question. Whose jacket is that?” 

 

“Im’s.” 

 

“Wait, really?! How? Why? Are you guys close?” 

 

Mina shook her head. 

 

“I saw her outside that laundry room and well....she saw me wearing a robe then she let me borrow her jacket.” 

 

“Ahh,” 

 

“Why are you giving me that look?” 

 

“Nothing,”

 

 

——

 

 

Mina was in her class — still wearing Nayeon’s jacket — doing her work when numbers of students outside the room was running towards the exit. 

 

“What’s happening?” Their professor said looking outside from the door’s window. Someone from outside opened the door ignoring the professor, “Im and Seulgi are fighting again!” then closed the door.

 

Everyone else in the room started talking about going outside when the professor warned them not to go, but he was ignored at the students started running outside leaving behind, confused. She looked at the man asking if she can go to.

 

“Just go!” He waved his hand then went back to tidying his things to his bag. 

 

She ran outside following the students to see what was going on. She see Momo coming from the bathroom confused about the commotion. She approached Momo just as confused as she is.

 

“What’s happening?” Momo asked throwing the toilet paper she was wiping her hands with. Mina shrugged, “Im and Seulgi are fighting but I don’t know the reason though,” 

 

“They don’t need a reason to fight. Let’s go!” Momo held Mina’s wrist dragging her outside the field filled with students.

 

There they are standing in front of each other with Seulgi’s friends behind her back and Nayeon, all by herself. Students were cheering and betting on who’s gonna win. Some say it’s Seulgi and some say it’s Nayeon saying she is used to fighting. There were no guards or teachers trying to stop the two, even Jihyo was nowhere to be seen. 

 

“It’s not my fault she ing dumped you because of me,” Nayeon shouted while smirking. Students shouted making Seulgi angry throwing a punch at Nayeon but she managed to dodged it. “But it’s all in the past now,” she added. “She’s all yours now,” 

 

“You shut the up and fight me, !” Seulgi shouted. 

 

Nayeon smirked. Fist in front of her face about to throw a punch at Seulgi’s face when a girl stopped both of them making the students gasped. 

 

“STOP!” 

 

Mina could hear whispers among the students. 

 

“Both of you stop! You’re acting like children! This is so immature!” 

 

“B—baby...what are you doing here? Don’t you have class?” Seulgi stuttered seeing her fuming girlfriend, trying to hold her hand but was pushed away. “L—let’s go,” 

 

“And you,” she turns to Nayeon. Her expression changes from angry to a soft one. “Go to class..” she said softly trying to put an angry face trying not to get caught. 

 

She grabbed Seulgi’s hand about to drag her away but before she knows it, Seulgi threw a punch on Nayeon’s face causing her to fall to the ground earning a hard slap from the girl and leaving her behind. Students ignored Nayeon leaving her groaning on the ground. Mina, on the other hand, was looking at Nayeon worriedly contemplating whether to help her or not. Students started scurrying away when the bell rang leaving Mina and Nayeon behind. 

 

“!” Nayeon groans holding her injured face still on the ground. “Stupid!” She tried to stand up but failed falling to the ground with a thud. 

 

“Are— are you okay?” Mina asked as she approaches Nayeon kneeling in front of her. 

 

“I’m fine. Just go,” 

 

“No, let me help you.” Mina insisted. 

 

“I don’t want anymore trouble...” Nayeon groans still feeling the pain in her face. 

 

“Come on,” Mina placed Nayeon’s arm around her neck with her arm around her waist helping her walk. 

 

 

 

——

 

 

 

Mina ended up bringing Nayeon to the nurse ignoring Nayeon’s protest. The cast on Nayeon’s arm was all dirty so they had to remove it carefully not to add more pain on her broken arm. Nayeon has more wounds in her body other than the black eye Seulgi gave her. Mina was glad she was able to help Nayeon now. 

 

“Just let her rest first and give her this medicine when she wakes up. It would lessen the pain in her body.” The nurse said as she glances at the sleeping Nayeon. 

 

Mina nodded sitting down beside Nayeon’s bed. 

 

Mina cannot believe she’s with Im Nayeon right now when in the first place they weren’t even friends. 

 

“!” 

 

Mina heard a loud groan beside her knowing it was Nayeon who was awake now trying to lift herself up. 

 

“N—no, lay down.” Mina didn’t know why she stuttered but she did. Maybe it was because she was scared of her? 

 

“What are you doing here?” Nayeon asked as Mina helped her lay down again. She looked around the unfamiliar room until she saw a sign on the door ‘Clinic’. She continued looking around until her gazed stopped on Mina. She was wearing her jacket. 

 

“You were laying on the—the ground and no one helped you so I—“ 

 

“Yeah, yeah. You weren’t supposed to help me! People might avoid you too now!” Nayeon raised her voice. Even herself doesn’t know why she was acting like this. Maybe she was concerned (or not) for this new student’s reputation. “Just don’t come near me again next time. You can keep that.” She said pointing at the jacket Mina was wearing. 

 

“O—okay...” Mina whispered. “I’m sorry,”  she sniffs. She wasn’t used to people raising their voice at her that’s why she was afraid of Nayeon now. And Nayeon noticed this.

 

“I’m sorry for raising my voice,” she placed her hand on Mina’s head lightly patting it. “Just....don’t help me again next time, okay? You’ll ruin your reputation here,” she smiled.

 

 

idk if this chapter makes any sense. Lol in case you guys haven't noticed, i drafter this story because i kinda lost interest in writing this one. But I'll try to write this again!!