seventeen.five

The Unexpected Fall

this chapter is only a flashback of minayeon's childhood. 


 

Little Nayeon runs around the Myoui’s garden, hoping to get away from her father who was chasing her around. She got caught playing with the piano which was prohibited. The piano’s purpose was only for display as it has been passed to many generations and is needed to be kept safe. Nayeon was giggling while running away.

 

The little kid, Mina, was watching the whole thing and she was very much entertained. She cannot help but stare at the running girl. She also noticed that she has no two front teeth. Mina touched hers but was relief that it was still there but she knows anytime soon it had to be taken off since she ears a lot of sweets.

 

Mina giggles when Nayeon laughs. They only met each other once when Mr. Im was hired to be their personal driver and Mina was very shy to talk to her so they weren’t really friends. So, Mina doesn’t know her crush’s name. Nor any of her family.

 

“Minari...” Mina heard her mother calls her from inside her room. She hops off the small chair she was standing and skips to her mother. “Have you been watching Mr. Im’s daughter getting chased?”

 

Mina giggles as she nods.

 

“Why don’t you talk to her and ask for her name, huh?” Mrs. Myoui continues to fold Mina’s dresses. She gestures Mina to come to her so she can brush her hair.

 

“‘M shy, mom. She is older than me and I’m smaller than her..” Mina wiggles her dangling feet from the bed. “I’m okay with watching her from your balcony.”

 

“So that’s the reason why you come here every day.” Her mother giggles, “And I’m starting to think you have a crush on her.”

 

Mina stayed mum.

 

Mrs. Myoui noticed this, so she asks her again. “Do you?” She smiles though Mina couldn’t really see as she continues to brush her hair.

 

Mina nods. Eyes still on the floor.

 

“That’s lovely. Why don’t you invite her to your sleepover later with Sana and Momo?”

 

Mina looks at her mother with sparkles in her eyes. “Really?”

 

Mrs. Myoui nods while smiling.

 

Then Mina frowns, “B—But what if she doesn’t want to?”

 

“Oh, honey. She will.”

 

 

 

 

 

Nayeon stood outside Mina’s room holding a bag while her father and Mrs. Myoui stands behind her.

 

After lunch this day, Mina’s mother invited Nayeon on her daughter’s sleep over with her two best friends which surprised Nayeon since she wasn’t friends with the little Myoui in the first place. But her father insisted that she joins them so she can have other friends than the ones in her school. She also learns that Mina is homeschooled.

 

“Go on, knock on their door, sweetie.” Nayeon’s dad encourages her. Nayeon gulps, bringing out her fist on the door only to hesitate to knock. A few seconds later she started knocking. At first they didn’t hear but with the help of Mrs. Myoui who opened the door, the girls inside stares at her.

 

It wasn’t obvious but Mina was blushing really hard.

 

Nayeon waves at them with a matching small smile, shy to let the other girls see her missing teeth.

 

It was Sana who first approached Nayeon giving her a hug. Sana was really friendly. She can make friends in just a second.

 

“What’s your name? Oh wait no. What’s your nickname? We call each other using our nicknames.” Sana smiles at her. Nayeon wanted to pinch her cheeks so bad.

 

“Nabongs.”

 

“That’s very cute. I’m Sana, but call me Satang. That’s Momo, right there. The one eating the chips. Call her Momoring.” She points at Momo. “And the one whose face is red is Mina. Minari.” Sana said nonchalantly and Mina who becomes more redder.

 

They’re kids. They don’t know what happening with Mina.

 

Nayeon sat beside Mina setting her bag beside the bed. It was mostly Sana and Momo who keeps asking Nayeon questions while Mina just stares at the older girl.

 

“We also have another friend, Jeongyeon but she’s out of the country with her parents.” Momo said giving Nayeon a red card. “That’s yours now because you officially became our best friend.”

 

Nayeon smiles staring at the red card with her nickname written on it. “Thanks.” Then she turns to Mina, “Thank you for inviting me to your sleep over.” she leans to give Mina a hug.

 

“Y—you’re welcome.”

 

“Let’s now play the games!!” Momo cheers accidentally spilling food from making the others laugh.

 

The whole night they played board games, watched movies and eat food served by the Myoui’s chef. Mina was starting to not get shy with Nayeon thanks to Sana who made her partners with Nayeon to do a slow dance as the music played something soft and soothing. They were having a great time. But sadly, they had to sleep since it was getting late.

 

From left to right it was Nayeon, Mina, Sana and Momo. Mina never felt so happy sleeping early until now. Especially when her crush is right beside her.

 

 

 

 

It has been a week since the sleepover happened and Mina can’t wait for the next one. As soon as she wakes up she prepared for her class inside the mini classroom her parents made for her and her private teacher, Mrs. Pong.

 

Her teacher was very much confused to why Mina was so energetic during their class, she’s never been like this before.

 

Their class ended earlier than before since Mina’s teacher has to leave for an appointment from the doctors.

 

Mina run as fast as she could to her parents’ balcony, hoping to watch Nayeon  being chased down by her father. Now that Nayeon knows that Mina has been watching their little scheme with her father, she promised herself not to do something embarrassing when she’s watching.

 

But hours had passed, Nayeon and Mr. Im was nowhere to be found.

 

During lunch, Mina had asked her mother where the two Im was but same to her she had no idea.

 

Hours of waiting became a day to weeks until it turns to months.

 

Her Nabongs hasn’t come back. And she has no idea where she is.

 

 


-