seventeen

The Unexpected Fall

 

“Aaah! Finally, home sweet home.”

 

Nayeon practically throws herself to her bed as soon as she steps into her room, throwing her bags somewhere in her room that she’ll have to find later. After hours in the road, she’s finally back home. It was a relief that Lee Min Ho oppa allows her to rest for the day before she started working again nonstop.

 

Nayeon giggles to herself as she remembers the ride back to the university. She was seating beside Mina, who Momo sacrificed her seat for Nayeon, singing along the songs from the radio. She felt giddy and she knows Mina is the reason. It’s been so long since she felt this way before. The first time she had this feeling was when she had her first girlfriend. It felt amazing, yes. But the feeling of breaking up doesn’t sit right with Nayeon and she hopes it won’t happen with Mina. She can see herself being with Mina for the longest time. If I say for the longer time, I meant like forever.

 

She’s never letting Mina go. No matter what happens.

 

Nayeon tries to remove her shoes with her own feet. When she succeeded, she lays her feet on the bed, sighing to herself as she stares at the empty ceiling. She suddenly remembers what Mina told her the last night.

 

“I can’t believe I’m meeting Mina’s mother!” With her hands on her face, Nayeon started squealing moving her feet like a cute penguin.

 

“If Mina’s mom wants to meet me, that means she likes me for her daughter, right?” Nayeon talks to herself. “But wait. What if...” she gasps. “What if she won’t like me as soon as I step in to their mansion? Will she think I’m after Mina’s money like the others?” Nayeon shook her head aggressively making her dizzy.

 

“No. Mina’s mom is nice. I know that.” Nayeon assures herself, giving her shoulder a pat.

 

Then she squeals again.

 

A minutes pass by, she was finally done fan girling over her girlfriend’s mother. She sighs in complete happiness before she closes her eyes to sleep her tiredness away.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Mina was still stuck on a traffic. Staring outside the window, watching people walk with coffees in their hand makes Mina wanna go back to Jeju and spend more time with Nayeon. She doesn’t know how coffee makes her think of Nayeon and Jeju, but it does. No questions. Now that she’s back, she’ll have to face her father again who’s eager to get Mina married to her friend, Jeongyeon. But there’s one thing that’s keeping Mina from running away:

 

Nayeon meeting her mom.

 

Yeah, that. She smiled at the thought of the two women that she loves dearly spending time together. Did she say love? Does she love Nayeon? Mina wasn’t sure. She likes Nayeon very much, she does! But love? Would her saying the three words to Nayeon scare her away? Was it too fast?

 

Mina frowns.

 

But then a smiling Nayeon appears in her mind making her smile again.

 

She thinks again of how would Nayeon act towards her mother. She thinks it would be too funny.

 

The car stops. But it wasn’t outside Mina’s house.

 

“Why are we here?” Mina asked her driver in an irritated tone. She’s not in the mood for this.

 

“Mr. Myoui told me to bring you here as soon as you arrive, Lady Mina. We wants to talk you.” The drivers smiles sadly as he gave Mina a side look.

 

Mina only groans, opening the door and making her way inside the building. Everyone inside greeted her a good morning and she wasn’t rude to not greet her back. She was annoyed but she wasn’t rude. She taps her right foot on the ground waiting for the elevator to bring her to the top floor, to her father’s office.

 

Mina greeted her father’s secretary as she opens the door.

 

“What is it, father?” Mina crosses her arm to up to her chest staring at the back of her father’s chair with a blank expression.

 

Mr. Myoui turns his seat to face his daughter. “Welcome back, Mina.”

 

Mina mentally rolls her eyes. She can’t do it in front of her father but if she can, she will. “Why do you want to talk to me?”

 

“I just wanted to ask you how are you doing with Jeongyeon? Are you two getting along well?” The side of his lips curved. “Did you spend time together at Jeju?”

 

Mina guessed her father didn’t know that Jeongyeon was missing in action for the past few days. After that talk happened in her room.

 

“Err, yeah.” Mina lied. Oh, how she hates lying to her parents. Her father might be too strict, but Mina doesn’t lie to him. Until now.

 

“That’s very good.” He nodded, “So, have you had breakfast already?”

 

Mina shook her head, “No. I just wanna go home and sleep. I’m too tired.” Another lie. Well, it wasn’t fully a lie. She was with Nayeon the whole ride back so she was anywhere but tired. Her girlfriend just makes everything easy.

 

“I see you’re smiling. Thinking of the time you spent with Jeongyeon?” Mr. Myoui asked Mina in a teasing manner. She didn’t realized she was smiling until he brought it up.

 

And she wasn’t clearly thinking of Jeongyeon.

 

Mina fakes a small laugh, “Y—yeah.”

 

“I’ll let you go now.” He smiles then turns his seat around again facing the glass window.

 

Mina walks to the door, before she closes it behind her she hears her father say, “Ah, young love.” then closed it.

 

Would you react that way if I tell you I wasn’t thinking about Jeongyeon but Nayeon? Mina thought to herself, giving the secretary a smile before entering the elevator.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Seulgi felt like throwing up.

 

“Let’s talk, please.” Seulgi tries to approach her girlfriend but Irene only steps backwards, shaking her head.

 

“There’s nothing to talk about.” Irene said blankly. “I just don’t understand why you tried to kill Nayeon. She never did anything to you.”

 

When Irene woke up at the hotel in Jeju, she immediately told Seulgi not to talk to her or even try to go near her. Even at the bus they weren’t talking. Irene found out that Nayeon almost drowned because of a stupid prank. She doesn’t even think it was a prank. Now that they’re at Irene’s house, Seulgi tried talking to her girlfriend ignoring the looks from people outside her house.

 

“I—It wasn’t my idea, honey. Nayeon already knows that. We talked last night and I apologized to her..” Seulgi holds Irene’s shoulders and her girlfriend didn’t try to fight her. “We’re okay now.”

 

Irene looks at her, “She forgave you?”

 

Seulgi nods, “Yes. I admitted that, it was all because of jealousy and I wasn’t thinking straight. I was blaming her and all that you loved her even if I was here.”

 

“W—what?”

 

“Irene, I have loved you even before our parents told us that we were bound to marry each other. The reason why I agreed because I thought I could make you love me back but,” Seulgi laughs, “But you liked someone else. That’s why I got so mad and did the things I don’t usually do.”

 

“I’m sorry, I—“

 

“It’s okay. It wasn’t your fault you liked Nayeon. I mean, she great and all but she wasn’t the one who was there for you when you were at your lowest so I don’t understand why you chose her over me. But—but it’s all okay now.” Seulgi engulf Irene on a hug, “I think I’m the only one who thinks we’re girlfriends.” she laughs.

 

“I also think so too,” Irene said.

 

Seulgi stops.

 

“To be honest, I was starting to like you but Nayeon was there and it was hard for me to move on. B—but if you could wait for me until I get over her then— never mind it’s a ridiculous ide—“

 

Seulgi sealed Irene’s lips with hers.

 

“It’s actually a good idea. I’ll wait for you. I’ll help you move on from her..”

 

“Promise?” Irene pulls our her pinky finger.

 

“When have I broken a promise?” Seulgi sealed their pinkies together.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Mina was busy unpacking her clothes when someone knocked on her door. Without looking back she said, “Come in.” Loud enough for the person on the other side to hear. She hears the door opening and suddenly the atmosphere changed.

 

Mina turns around, “Oh. It’s you,” then she turns back to continue unpacking her things.

 

“No welcome back? Hug?” Jeongyeon tries to joke to lift up the atmosphere. She leans on the door frame watching Mina unpack her things. “I..uh, bought you your favorite game.”

 

“Thanks.”

 

Jeongyeon pursed her lips, nodding as she wanders her eyes around the room. “Lunch is ready. Your mom is already at the table so I just came here to call you..” she tries to talk to Mina again.

 

“I’ll eat later. I still have to unpack.”

 

“I’ll help you,” Jeongyeon approaches Mina but the younger suddenly turns shaking her head making Jeongyeon halts her steps.

 

“I got this. Just go and eat.” Mina neatly folds her clothes and placed it on her drawer. “I just want to sleep right now.”

 

“Okay,” Jeongyeon nodded and left the room leaving the door open. Mina sighs and continues to unpack.

 

Mina felt her left raised as soon as she hears a vehicle pulling up in front of their mansion. Mina knows it’s her father and by that it means she needs to be at the dining area sitting beside Jeongyeon. She groans, dragging herself towards to her bedroom door.

 

It’s not that she was scared of her father, but she just don’t want to cause trouble. If you even call it that. Growing up Mina got used to following what her parents says, she doesn’t get to do what she really wants. But what surprised her that her mother didn’t get mad for having a girlfriend even if she was to marry someone. Mr. Myoui has been nothing but strict at Mina. Maybe it was because she was an only child and her father wants to protect her? But it was different. Too different from protecting and controlling.

 

Mina sat beside Jeongyeon who wasn’t surprised by her sudden appearance. She was actually happy that Mina’s father arrived. The maids started placing down the dishes. Mr. and Mrs. Yoo talks about the business they were planning as soon as Jeongyeon becomes the new CEO of their company and of course Mina as her partner as their companies were planning to join forces.

 

Jeongyeon tried to talk to Mina but the younger only answered one to two words. Depending the question.

 

“How was you trip to Paris, Jeongyeon?” Mr. Myoui smiles at the Korean.

 

Jeongyeon wipes with the cloth beside her plate, “It was great. There were tons of dogs and many volunteered this year.”

 

“That’s great. I told you promoting it was the best idea.” Mr. Yoo playfully nudges her wife. “I heard that you bought your future wife the game she wanted.” he wiggles his eyebrows at Jeongyeon and Mina.

 

Mina wanted to puke at the words he just called her.

 

“Yeah,” Jeongyeon laughs taking a side glance at the younger girl beside her. “And I’m also planning to take her out on a date. Outside the country this weekend.” Jeongyeon ignores Mina who give her a look.

 

“That’s lovely.  I don’t know when’s your father gonna take me out a date too. It’s been years since we went on one.” Mina’s mother said, giving Mina a small smile.

 

“Don’t worry, dear. I’ll take you out on a date.”

 

“You better be!”

 

“Do you want it to be on the moon?”

 

Everyone at the table laughs. Even Mina.

 

 

 

 

 

 

It took Nayeon almost a day cleaning the bakery shop but what took her the longest was the kitchen. It has been a month since she last cleaned the kitchen and already has molds every corner of the furnitures. And the dirtiest of them all was the wall behind the oven. It had turned black and Nayeon doesn’t know the reason why. She even almost called Yujin for help but she thought the kid might be busy with her school works.

 

Nayeon slides her body at the wall, sitting at the ground she wipes herself using her sleeves. She groans when she heard the front door chimes. The sign wasn’t even on the open side yet. She force herself to stand up grabbing the counters edges.

 

“Sorry but we’re not open yet—“ Nayeon widens her eyes at the unexpected visitor. She mentally pats herself for cleaning the bakery. “H—hello..” She stares at the woman in front of her.

 

“You must be my daughter’s girlfriend?” Mrs. Myoui smiles. “What a lovely bakery you have here.” Her eyes wanders around the place.

 

“Mom, I told you to wait for me— Nayeon unnie!” Mina runs to her girlfriend giving her a hug ignoring the sweat and dirt on Nayeon’s shirt.

 

“Minari, baby, I’m still dirty.” Nayeon tries to push off her girlfriend giving Mina’s mother a grin. “Your mother’s looking.” Nayeon whispers to the younger girl.

 

“Oh! Don’t mind me, just do your thing.” Mrs. Myoui turns and started looking at the bread and pastries inside the glass.

 

Nayeon smiled at her then looks back at her girlfriend, “You didn’t tell me you were going to come here. I could have cleaned the place earlier and taken a bath..”

 

Mina hugs the older again then she hums, “Mhm, my mom was just too excited to meet you.”

 

“That’s great. But I still have to take a bath, baby. I’ll prepare your food first, okay?” Nayeon went back to the kitchen to wash her hands and came back with a new freshly baked brownies. She sets it on a table the went back to the kitchen to grab plates, spoon and fork and drinks for the Myouis.

 

Nayeon excused herself then went upstairs to her room.

 

“Your girlfriend is very cute, Mina. You have a great taste.” Mrs. Myoui teased as she takes a spoon full of brownies. “This is really good. Does she bake all of this?”

 

Mina nodded, “Yes.” She smiles proudly. “But mom, do you think dad will get mad if he finds out that I’m not dating Jeongyeon?”

 

Mrs. Myoui placed down her spoon and holds Mina’s hand that was resting on the table, “Your father and Mr. Yoo has been planning for this marriage since you were little kids. But maybe, he’ll realize that you don’t want to marry Jeongyeon because you love someone else. And you don’t force love, you know.”

 

“L—love?” Mina stutters, “It’s too soon to call it that, mom. We just got together a few days ago in Jeju.” she blushed.

 

“Well, I can see the way she looks at you. And you two are gonna get there! And I don’t really like Jeongyeon for you. She seems nice but not the person for you, maybe for someone else.” Mrs. Myoui drinks her wine. “Look, your girlfriend knows what I want to drink.” she giggles.

 

The Mina watches her mother’s face become serious, “But you have to keep your relationship private for now, Mina. I’m sure Nayeon will understand.”

 

Mina sighs. She knows this would happened. But it won’t take forever, right? She just gotta make the relationship private for now because Mina knows what’s her father’s capable of doing and she don’t want Nayeon to get involved with whatever is happening in her life.

 

They just have to wait for the perfect time.

 

“Hey! I’m sorry if I took so long in taking a bath.” Nayeon suddenly comes out of the kitchen, putting on an apron as she sits beside Mina. “Do you like the wine, Mrs. Myoui?” she smiles.

 

“Yes, I do like it very much.”

 

Nayeon then suddenly has nothing to talk about. A rich woman in front of you will surely make you quiet.

 

“So, Nayeon. How old are you?” Mrs. Myoui noticed Nayeon’s awkward aura so she started the conversation. “I’m sure you already know Mina is still 20,”

 

“24.” Nayeon for the first time in her life, was sitting up straight. No slouching, afraid to unimpressed her girlfriend’s mother.

 

Then Mrs. Myoui turns to Mina with a grin, “I didn’t know you like older girls.”

 

“Mom!” Mina blushed, “Someone’s age doesn’t matter, you know.”

 

Mrs. Myoui chuckles then turns back to Nayeon, “Hmm, I guess you’re going to graduate this year.”

 

Nayeon nodded, “Yes, I am. I was supposed to, last year but I got expelled.”

 

Mrs. Myoui furrows her brows, “Why?”

 

“I—I got into a fight...” Nayeon looks down, worried Mina’s mother won’t like her for her daughter anymore. She can lie but she doesn’t want to especially it’s Mina’s mother. She have to be honest no matter what.

 

“Oh, that . But did you win?”

 

Nayeon suddenly looks up, surprised. She turns to Mina who was giving her a big gummy smile that Nayeon loves so much.

 

“I did.” Nayeon laughs, “But I did get hit a few times but I still won,”

 

Everyone at the table shared a laugh as they continue to tell each other stories. It was more like, Mrs. Myoui telling Nayeon stories about Mina when she was a child.

 

Then the door opens, revealing Lee Min Ho with a frown.

 

“Oppa!” Nayeon walks to him giving him a hug. “I’m glad you visited. Mrs. Myoui is here and her daughter..who happens to be my girlfriend now.” Nayeon whispers the last one.

 

“That’s—that’s great.” He stutters.

 

Nayeon figured something’s wrong.

 

“Are you okay, oppa?” She asked. She turns back to the Myouis and they were just eating the food while Mina was showing her mother their pictures.

 

“I need to talk to you, Nayeon. Let’s go to the kitchen.”

 

Nayeon nodded and excused herself before she enters the kitchen, closing the door.

 

“What’s wrong?” Nayeon furrows her eyes brows. “Are you okay?”

 

“I’m really sorry, Nayeon. My wife is really sick and—and I decided to sell this bakery. I’m really sorry I hope you understand. Our hospital bill is reaching a million already and—“ Min Ho stops, he was crying while he shakes. “I’m really sorry.” He cries louder.

 

“It’s okay, Oppa. Your wife’s health is really important.” Nayeon smiles.

 

“But Nayeon-ah, you won’t just lose a bakery, but also a home.” He looks at her.

 

Nayeon laughs to make him at ease, “I can just stay with Mark. I’m sure he won’t mind. I know he’ll be happy knowing I will stay with him, that guy is so lonely.”

 

He wipes his tears and laughs together with Nayeon.

 

“You don’t have to worry about me, Oppa. I can handle myself. But I still thank you for letting me stay here for the past months since my mom got into a coma.”

 

“Oh, about your mom. The doctor said she suddenly made a movement. She was trying to wake up.” He smiles.

 

“That’s great.” Nayeon only smiles. But deep down inside she was really really happy. Maybe after this she can visit her mother. “Now go! I still have visitors.”

 

“Okay, okay..” He laughs and exits the kitchen leaving Nayeon behind. She hears him also bidding goodbye to the Myouis.

 

Nayeon sighs. She knows she can’t stay with Mark since his friends usually stays with him.

 

Nayeon walks back to the Myouis and Mina noticed this sudden change in Nayeon.

 

“My mother’s already drunk because she kept drinking the wine.” Mina approaches her, “Are you okay?”

 

Nayeon shakes her head, “Y—yeah, I’m fine.”

 

Mina smiles at her girlfriend, “You can tell me everything you know.” Then Mina’s mother was already blabbering random things in the background. They both laugh. “I guess I’ll take her home now.”

 

Nayeon nods helping Mina carry her mother into their car. Just as before their driver closes the door, Mrs. Myoui said something, “You know, you look very familiar. Like I’ve seen you before inside our house.” Then he closes it.

 

Nayeon only laughs thinking she was just drunk and went inside.

 

She walks to the telephone hesitating to dial a number. She sighs, and continues to type.

 

“Hello?” Nayeon said.

 

“Hey,”

 

“Do you think I can stay with you for a few nights?”

 

 

-

the next chapter might be a flashback of Nayeon's childhood since she can't remember 🤣 

i just keep on writing the next chapters in case i lose motivation again hshshsh