eleven

The Unexpected Fall

“So tell me..why are you not wearing the proper uniform? Wouldn’t you get in trouble for that— I mean.. I think you already did but—“

 

“Mina..take it easy, you’re rambling. And yes, I did get in trouble for it but they decided to just let it go.” Nayeon sighs, plucking the grass and throwing it once in a while. 

 

“Your outfit does look kinda comfortable.” Mina mumbled but was heard by the older. “But you didn’t answer the main questions. Why are you not wearing the proper uniform?” 

 

“Because! Apparently someone saw my uniform in the laundry room when I was a freshman and next thing I knew...it— it was torn.” The older frowns. “The seniors told me I didn’t belong here because I was poor and way out of their league..your league.” Nayeon mumbled the last one. 

 

“That was...harsh. But don’t worry you look hot in thi—“ Mina stopped midway after realizing what she said. 

 

“I look hot? Thanks, Mina.” Nayeon smirked. 

 

“I— I didn’t mean—“ 

 

Nayeon pats her head, “It’s okay Mina. I’ve been told by this many times. But thank you.” she winks at her.

 

Eventually both of them got quiet but it was comfortable since they were much closer now than before when they were still hanging out at the laundry room. Mina keeps stealing glances at the senior beside her who was still busy plucking the grass. Then suddenly she remembered what Sana told her before they left their house. Confess to Nayeon. Confe— should she? No..no..it would be too fast but— 

 

“Mina...” her thought stopped when Nayeon called her. 

 

“I like you..” then the older looks at her. Mina waited for a moment to see if she was really telling the truth and this wouldn’t be a sick prank—

 

“....very much.” 

 

Mina froze. She was just thinking about confessing and Nayeon beat her to it. Was she reading her mind? Is she a mind reader?! She wasn’t sure if her heart was jumping in joy or she was nervous. The person she likes...likes her too! She was panicking. She doesn’t know what to say because whenever she got confessed to, she would just politely decline them and get over with it but this time, this time! The person she likes—

 

“Mina...please say something.” 

 

“I—I li—like you too, unnie.” Mina mentally facepalm herself. Too much stuttering. 

 

“Really?” Nayeon looks at her with a smile, showing her bunny teeth that Mina adores so much. “That’s— that’s great.”

 

Wait. Does that mean we’re dating now since we like each other?

 

“I guess so.” 

 

She can hear me?

 

“Yeah..”

 

How?

 

“You’re kinda..saying it outloud.” 

 

Oh.

 

“But Mina we should go on dates first and then let’s see who will ask to be girlfriends.” Nayeon snakes her hands on Mina’s waist pulling her closer and leaning her head on her shoulder. “But I think it would be me since you’re a coward.” she laughs.

 

“Let’s see about that.” Mina challenged.

 

 

 

 

“Good evening, Mr. Guard.” Nayeon greeted the hospital’s guard with a big smile on her face. 

 

She usually doesn’t do this since visiting the hospital makes her feel sick to the core but after she confessed to Mina, who surprisingly likes her back too, she can’t help but smile throughout her whole travel from the barkery. The guard didn’t greet her back but that doesn’t bother her. She’s so happy right now she could kiss the nurse in front of her— but she won’t do that, of course. 

 

Smiling from ear to ear, greeting hospital staff whenever she see one and finally standing outside her mother’s room. She can’t wait to tell her mother even if she’s still sleeping. Nayeon holds the door knob, slowly twisting it carefully not to make any sound (though she can shout if she want but her mother won’t still wake up from that). 

 

Her mother wasn’t alone. 

 

There was a guy sitting beside her.

 

“Hello?” Nayeon greets in confusion as she closes the door. “Oh—! Doctor..” she bowed quickly as soon as she sees the guy wearing a coat. “Good evening..”

 

“Nayeon-ah..” Nayeon looks up at the doctor. How did he know my name? I never told him and he’s not my mother’s doctor. “How are you?” he smiled at me.

 

“I’m— I’m fine..” Nayeon said in a low tone. The smile she was wearing when she came to the hospital was already gone and was replaced with confusion. 

 

“You’ve grown so much.” He started walking closer to Nayeon then stopped midway. “Last time I remember was when your two front teeth was still missing..” 

 

“W—who are you?” she took a step back holding the strap of her back tightly. 

 

“You don’t remember? You bumped into me last time you were here but it seems like you were not paying attention to your surroundings and didn’t see me.” 

 

“W—what?” 

 

“I’m Im Jaebum. Your one and only brother..” he laughs.

 

 

 

 

“Mina-yaaaah! I can’t believe you did it! Though it was Nayeon who confessed first!” Sana shook Mina’s whole body harshly while jumping up and down behind her then Momo follows her movement.

 

“Keep it down, Sana!” Mina whines freeing herself from the torture her friends are doing with her. “And yes, I can’t believe it too. I was just really thinking about doing it then out of the blue she told me she likes me...very much.” she smiled. 

 

“Ahhh..young love.” Momo smiles dreamily. “You’re growing up so fast.” she wiped a fake tear. “So are you guys girlfriends now?”

 

Mina sat down beside Sana on a booth before answering, “Not yet. She told we would go on dates first and see who will ask the other to be their girlfriend..” 

 

“I bet it’s Nayeon who’s gonna ask.” Momo shakes her bubble tea.

 

Sana nodded, “I agree. Mina will just panic. She’s inexperienced!” she said, exaggerating the last sentence.

 

“You love betting on other people’s lives!” Mina whines while she covers her face with her hands. “But aren’t you guys like gonna scold me or something? Like what would dad do?”

 

“What do you mean?” Both older Japanese said at the same time. 

 

“That you’ll say that...that she’s out of my league and that I deserve someone better?” 

 

Sana chuckles, “It doesn’t matter, Mina. You don’t have to be rich to love a rich person. If she makes you happy, then we’re happy. Love isn’t always about wealth.” 

 

Momo claps slowly with wide eyes, “I didn’t know you had it in you, Sana.”

 

“What do you mean?”

 

“You always look stupid!”

 

“Wha— coming from you, idiot!”

 

Mina only laughs at this. She’s really lucky to have them. 

 

 

 

 

The sound of spoons clicking into the mug was the only thing Nayeon could hear and it was truly deafening. She can’t believe she has a brother and is sitting in front of her while he stir his coffee. She didn’t remember having a brother. Maybe he was away? But for a long time? 

 

Nayeon awkwardly shifted in her seat. Jeabum noticed this action and cleared his throat.

 

“I’m guessing you’re quite confused.” he started, drinking his coffee and yelps in pain because of the hot temperature of the drink. 

 

“Not quite. But so so so confused and scared. When did I have a brother? I didn’t remember having a brother.” Nayeon looks at him, clenching her fist in her lap. 

 

“I assume mom didn’t tell you about me when you got out from the hospital.”

 

Nayeon widen her eyes. Hospital? How did he know this? It was only her mother that was there when she woke up from her sleep when she was young.

 

“Nayeon-ah..don’t be scared. Please calm down and I’ll tell you.” he smiled softly.

 

Then he told her.

 

“We were so close when we were younger. We inseparable. We do things together all the time like playing and reading. Even if I was 5 years older than you, we forced mom and dad to go on a same class and we did. But...it stopped when dad took me away from you guys. After the accident, you were in a coma for weeks and I wanted to see you but he stopped me—“ 

 

“D—dad is alive?” 

 

Jaebum nodded, “Yes. He only got unconscious and recovered very quickly than you. But when he got out of the hospital, he picked me up from school..I thought we were going to see you but—but I was wrong. My clothes were already packed and we went to China. I tried reaching you but I was so young I didn’t know how to contact you.” 

 

“I had a dream about an accident. And I thought it was just a random dream.” 

 

Jaebum looks at her, “Language. Father told me the reason why you guys got into an accident.” 

 

“How? I remember in my dream, he told me to get into the back seat behind his and to put seatbelt on.” Nayeon felt her tears threatening to fall. It wasn’t just a dream after all. It really happened to her.

 

“He didn’t wanted to scare you, Nayeon-ah. You were so young back then and wouldn’t understand the situation.” 

 

“He didn’t want to scare me that I was almost going to die? Is that it?” Nayeon raised her voice and her tears finally fell into her cheeks. 

 

“Please calm down...” 

 

“I—I don’t understand. Why did he leave? Why did he take you? Why are you showing up now when I already got my life settled!” Nayeon slammed her hands on the table. “Are you taking me away too because mom is in a coma!? Is that it!? You leave when someone from your family is in a coma!?”

 

“Nayeon, father already regretted what he did and he was sorry. Please try to calm down. I know you’re confused but please listen to me...to your oppa.” 

 

Oppa...

 

 

“Oppaaa,” little Nayeon cries as she walks to her brother who was drawing faces in the sand. “Oppa..” she calls again.

 

Little Jaebum drops his stick and walks to Nayeon. “What’s wrong, Nayeoniee?”

 

“Those kids were making fun me because they said I am so small..” she sniffs hugging her brother tightly. “They said I won’t grow anymore and I’ll be small forever.” 

 

Jaebum pats Nayeon’s back, kissing her on her head. “Don’t believe them okay? They’re bad people and they’re lying. You will grow taller when you celebrate your birthday! Like me! I was small like you but I grew taller, see?” he moves away from Nayeon showing how tall he is. “So, don’t believe them, okay?” he embraced Nayeon once more. 

 

The younger Im nodded. 

 

“Okay, come on! I’ll give you a piggy back ride and you’ll be the Im princess!”

 

“Oppa..” Nayeon said then looks at her brother, “I—I remembered something. We were— we were on a beach and those kids were bullying me because—“

 

“Of how small you were..” he laughs.

 

“And you gave me a piggy back ride and told me I was the Im princess.”

 

Jaebum smiled, “You still are. Our Im princess.”

 

“It’s already night. I should go.” Nayeon stood up from her seat but felt dizzy causing her to fall to the ground. Jaebum quickly stood up, kneeling in front of Nayeon.

 

“Are you okay? What happened!?”

 

“I’m fine. I was just a little bit dizzy from the things— yeah, things. You know, reminiscing the childhood memories that I have forgotten. I’ll go now. Min Ho oppa might be worried now.”

 

She stood up from the ground with the help of her brother then picks up her things. “I hope I get to meet father soon.”

 

“Don’t you worry, you will.”

 

Then she left.

 

And she won’t let them get back in her life that easy.

 

 

 

 

“I have an announcement.” Mr. Choi said as soon as he entered the auditorium full of students they had gathered for the announcement.

 

“The university is planning on having a trip to Jeju.” The students roared in excitement making him laugh. “But of course, ask your parents for permission. The transportation that we will be using is already ready and all you have to do is pay for your hotel rooms and food.”

 

Mina smiled in excitement. She had never experienced this since she was home schooled. Sana and Momo were already talking about what clothes they should bring and the places they would visit during their trip. Her eyes wandered the room to find her girlfr— err.. to find Nayeon and she did. She was sitting at the very back. But it seemed like she was pissed. Mina looked over to her side and there was Seulgi and her friends probably annoying Nayeon.

 

She was surprised when Nayeon stood up from her seat then heading straight to the exit while Seulgi was laughing along with her so called friends.

 

“I’ll be back.” Mina didn’t wait for her friends’ reply since they were busy talking then she stood up and followed Nayeon.

 

Luckily, the older was not that far from her and she managed to catch up.

 

“Nayeon unnie.” Mina calls. Nayeon stops walking and turns to Mina. “Where are you going? Mr. Choi is still going to discuss about the trip.”

 

“Ah, that. It’s okay I don’t really go to trips like this.” Nayeon smiles and walks closer to Mina, cupping her cheeks. “But you,” she squeezed Mina’s cheeks together, “You head back inside. You might miss some information.”

 

“Bwut unnie you shwould gwo twoo.”

 

Nayeon laughs. “You are very cute.” then she brings her face closer to Mina’s forehead and placed a gentle kiss. “And beautiful,” then to her nose. “And you should go back now.”

 

Mina cannot help but blush at Nayeon’s action. “But what about you? Where are you going?” she grabbed Nayeon’s jacket. “Let me go with youuuuu.”

 

“I’ll go to my job. It’s almost 3 so I have to go back now.” Nayeon caressed her hands on Mina’s cheeks.

 

“Let me go with youuu, pleaseeeee.” Mina pouts still not letting Nayeon’s jacket go.

 

“Damn, Nayeon. Just let her go with you!” Nayeon felt a slap on the back of her head and heard a laugh that was too familiar. “Hello, Mina.” he said then placed his arms on Nayeon’s shoulder.

 

Mina stares at this.

 

“Let go, Mark! You stink!” Nayeon tried to pry off his hands. “Go and take a shower.”

 

“Yeah, I should. Mina is already glaring at me. Bye-bye!” Nayeon kicks his shin causing him to lose his balance. “Gah!” then he fell to the ground.

 

Nayeon grabbed Mina’s wrist and started running away from Mark.

 

“Nayeon, you piece of ! I’ll get back to you next time!”

 

 

 

 

 

They both stopped when they realized that they were already in the parking lot. But Nayeon, was still catching her breath while Mina laughs at how low the older girl’s stamina is. Nayeon had reasoned out that she was lacking exercise.

 

“Now, here. Wear this.” Nayeon placed a helmet on Mina’s head. “Why are you looking at me like that?” she asked when Mina was looking at her with puppy eyes and a matching pout on her lips.

 

“What’s your relationship with that guy?” Mina asked while Nayeon was fixing the helmet on her. “You guys seem so...close.”

 

“Oh, you mean Mark Tuan?” Nayeon chuckles, “he’s my best friend! Best of friends! My partner in crime, my—“ Nayeon stops after seeing Mina looking down on the ground, fidgeting her fingers.

 

“We’re j—just friends, Minari. I wouldn’t like him like that. He’s like a brother to me and—“ Mina cuts off Nayeon with a hug. “Wait! Were you jealous?”

 

“Ookay! Let’s go now, unnie!” Mina quickly said avoiding the question. “Hurry!”

 

Nayeon got in to her scooter while Mina, on the other hand, was still deciding how to sit since she was wearing a skirt.

 

“What are you waiting for? I thought you said hurry?” Nayeon but when Mina didn’t reply she asked again, “What’s wrong? You don’t know how to ride a scooter?”

 

“I’m wearing a skirt, unnie.”

 

“Oh.”

 

“Yeah.”

 

“Then take it off.”

 

“Stupid!”

 

“How about you sit here?” Nayeon scooted to the back so it will have space for Mina in the front. “So it will look like you’re driving!”

 

“That looks dangerous.” Mina shook her head. “And—“

 

“Oh, come on Mina. Don’t worry, I won’t let anything happen to you. Or us.”

 

Mina nodded and quickly got into the scooter in front of Nayeon, setting her hands on Nayeon’s arms, holding it tightly.

 

“Mina, relax!” Nayeon laughs. “Here,” she took off her jacket and placed it on Mina’s legs. “For protection.”

 

 

 

 

“You work at a bakery? That’s so cool, unnie. I wish I could work at a bakery, too.”  Mina said, walking around the place checking every glass refrigerator. “And you have gummy bears!” she opens the container with a gummy bear label and picture, “There’s only one..”

 

Nayeon stops from sweeping the floor and went to Mina, laughing at the pouting girl.

 

“That’s my favorite, too! I’m the one who keeps eating it.” Nayeon was about to get thr gummy bear but Mina beat her to it.

 

“Okay, now this one is mine!” Mina said as she eats the gummy bear. “So delicious!”

 

“What about me?”

 

“Then get it from my mouth!” Mina jokes but it only gave Nayeon an idea.

 

“Can I see what kind of a bear did you get?” Nayeon lied. All the gummy bear were the same. “Stick your tongue out.”

 

“I’m not sure if you will see what kind but here you go..” Mina sticks her tongue out with the gummy bear at the tip of her tongue. She was so innocent.

 

“Stay still.” Nayeon, with both of her hands grabs Mina’s arm making her stay still and stops her from moving then she leaned closer circling on Mina’s tongue the candy from Mina’s tongue to . Once she got it, she pulled away. “Delicious, indeed.”

 

Mina who was still comprehending what happened and was still shock stood frozen on her place feeling her heartbeat fasten its pace.

 

“U—unnie..”

 

“Oh, they’re here! The customers are here! Welcome to TWICE’s bakery shop! How may I help you?” Nayeon left Mina standing and went to the counter, entertaining the customers. “Mina, you can sit there on that chair. I’ll be a little busy.”

 

Mina was still unmoved in her spot until Nayeon poke her cheeks making her shake her head. She slowly drag herself at the chair behind the counter slightly leaning herself on the wall because she might fall down any minute. What Nayeon did was...unexpected but she liked it. She liked it? She liked it. She watched Nayeon move around the area serving the customers with a smile on her face then her gaze traveled to Nayeon’s lips. They didn’t kissed yet but Nayeon Mina’s to— oh gosh, Mina can’t even finish the thought. It only makes her reddening face worse. And it sounded so so so weird. Nayeon really has her own way making Mina feel giddy.

 

After hours of working Nayeon seemed to be tired since there were more customers than usual and Mina gladly helped her (though Nayeon told her to just sit like a princess). At first it was a disaster. Mina didn’t know how to properly hold the tray and may or may not have dropped their food. But Nayeon only laughs it off and helped her instead and told Mina to try again if there’s a new customer.

 

They were happy despite the complains.

 

It was getting dark so Mina had to go home. Nayeon offered to drive her back to her house but Mina declined telling her that it was too dangerous for her since the sky was getting darker and that she just called her driver.

 

Then after several minutes a car pulled over outside the bakery.

 

“That’s my ride home. I’ll go n—“

 

“Ah! Wait here. I prepared something for you parents when you get home. I’ll get it at the back.” Nayeon smiled at Mina then hurried back to the kitchen with sounds of utensils falling.

 

Mina smiled at the older’s mess and went to her phone when it vibrated indicating that someone was calling her. It was her friend, Sana.

 

“Hello?”

 

“Mina, look at your twitter. The account that we were just talking about last time.”

 

“Okay,” then Mina ended the call and opened her twitter, typing the username of the account Sana told her.

 

@anonymousinvader :

IM NAYEON and BAE JOO-HYUN also known as IRENE was seen kissing outside IRENE's apartment a few days ago.

[Photo Attached]
[Photo Attached]

 

comments:

@lucas69: woah. r they back together??? i thought irene was with seulgi..e ne way another fight!!

@wendyRV: @seulgiyah2 look who's taking your girl..

@lialialia: why do i see a big fight coming???

@ryujinnniscool: this is...

@tzuyuchou: lmaooo why r people believing this??? i saw how irene forced nayeon to kiss her.. i was there. look @dubudub @cubchaeng

@dubudub: oh !!! 

@cubchaeng: uh oh..


 

Mina felt like throwing up. She felt like crying. Oh god. Her hands were shaking as she held her phone tightly, looking at the door  where Nayeon had entered and wasting no time and she hurriedly left the bakery shop and enters the vehicle waiting for her.

 

She looks at the picture again and it was really them. Nayeon’s hand were on Irene’s waist and— she can’t even look at it anymore, so she turned off her phone and putting it in her pocket not forgetting to put it on silent mode.

 

 

Nayeon on the other hand..

 

“Mina, sorry to keep you waiting I was—“ she stops after seeing the area where Mina was standing was already empty. She turns around and Mina already left. She ran outside hoping to catch Mina but the car was already gone.

 

“Maybe tomorrow...yes, maybe tomorrow.”

 

Nayeon went back inside putting the food in the fridge, not having any idea to what was happening.

 

But she will soon.

 

 

 

-

no proofread!!!