four

The Unexpected Fall

 

Mina couldn’t forget what happened in the field. It kept her awake last night. She kept tossing herself around her queen sized bed. But she remembered something from what happened in the clinic. Why did Nayeon got mad when she helped her? Was it because it could ruin Mina’s reputation? What reputation? 

 

As Mina was putting on her tie, she couldn’t help but to look at a certain jacket hanging from her chair. 

 

“I should wash it..” 

 

She grabs the jacket from the chair, checking if there was a dirt visible on the fabric. She looked around her room as if someone was there with her and brought to jacket up to her nose. It smells good. She closed her as she keeps sniffing the jacket, hugging it close to her with a smile on her face.

 

But then she stopped, eyes wide open.

 

What am I doing?

 

What the hell am I doing?

 

She placed back the jacket fast to where it belonged as if it talked to her. Her heart was beating fast. She doesn’t know if she’s just nervous but why does Mina feel hot? She couldn’t understand. She has never felt this feeling before when her friends lend her their jackets and certainly she didn’t smell it too. 

 

“Could it be?”

 

Mina shook her head hard that the moment she stops, her head will hurt. She shouldn’t think that way. That’s crazy and the fact the they just met recently makes it ever more crazier!

 

She unlocks her phone to check the time and locks it again. She has 30 minutes to finish her routine before she heads downstairs. 

 

As she steps in the vehicle, she asked her driver to drive her to where she jogged the last time hoping to see someone. Passing by at the street, she prepared her self to whatever (or whoever) she will see but unfortunately as soon as she pass through where she saw Nayeon, it was empty and no one was there. 

 

The way she dramatically sighed was enough to he heard by the driver and asked her what was wrong which she immediately told him not to worry as it was nothing. 

 

 

 

 

On the other hand, inside the bakery to where Nayeon works and practically where she lives has been busy ever since this morning that she didn’t have time to make new pastries and breads. Once a customer enters the shop, another one follows. But even it makes her super busy, she’s still thankful that the bakery shop has loyal customers. Her oppa would be so proud and would not regret letting her work and live there. 

 

Nayeon looks at the clock hanging on the wall and it was her cue to close the shop for the day as she still has to go to the university. She carefully hanged the apron, locking the cash register, turning off the lights in the kitchen and making sure every things was locked before she heads out.

 

But she completely exits the front door she made sure that one of Mr. Wang’s minions wasn’t outside waiting for her. 

 

“The coast is clear,” she told herself, exiting the shop and started walking to the university. 

 

Arriving at the campus will make Nayeon hesitate to go inside. It makes her feel like she doesn’t belong which is true since students attending the university are all hella rich. Unlike her. The only reason she got to attend this expensive university was because of a professor, Mr. Lee Min Ho who helped her when she was on the streets lying down and fighting for her life after she got beaten up. He treated Nayeon like one of his own daughter along with her wife and new born baby. They let her work in their bakery and let her sleep there. 

 

“Yow, Im!” 

 

Nayeon sighs, stopping her tracks while turning around to face to who called her. She rolled her eyes, ping her tracksuit’s jacket after realizing it was getting hot for her. “What?” She asked.

 

“You look hot doing that,” he winks at her earning a slap on the head from the bunny girl. “Okay, let’s be serious now. I heard you got beaten up in an alley?” he asked.

 

“Yeah. Mr. Wang’s minions found me while I was out throwing the trash and ended up following me and—“

 

“Hold up! You know he only let his minions beat people up when they haven’t paid yet. You— you already paid, right?” 

 

Nayeon shook her head, “I couldn’t even get my scooter—“

 

“Yah! You idiot!” he smacked Nayeon’s head hard enough to make her smack him back. “You keep going in to the ring to fight yet you couldn’t pay him when you lost?!” he shook his head and they both started walking when the bell rang.

 

“I couldn’t focus! The hospital called again and mom—“

 

“Nayeon, you know you have to pay right? This is your fault for not letting me help you!” 

 

“Mark! Could you stop interrupting while I talk!? It’s getting annoying,” Nayeon stomped her feet like a child making the taller boy laugh. “I don’t need your help or anyone’s help regarding the hospital bills. I can handle it myself. Now, go!” Nayeon pushed Mark away when they were right in front of Mark’s class.

 

“That’s my girl!” He shouted ignoring his professor shout at him as he took a seat sending a wink to Nayeon.

 

Nayeon and Mark Tuan. Both met in summer in a fight where Mark was cheering for Nayeon to win and became best friends ever since. Mark was weird. The reason why people don’t talk to him but when Nayeon got to know him, he was still weird but not how other people describe him to be. Mark is rich just any other student in MM University. But to Mark, Nayeon wasn’t different. He treated her the same just how he treats others. That’s what Nayeon likes about him. He doesn’t care whether you’re rich or poor. His parents may even love Nayeon more than him and also treats her like one of their own but Nayeon rejects everytime they tried to help her. Mark is Nayeon’s only friend in college and it’s already perfect. 

 

 

 

 

“Minaaaaaaaa!” 

 

Mina closed her book putting it beside her after hearing her name being shouted by someone. Someone as in Momo. She sat beside Mina giving her this weird smile as if she’s waiting for Mina to spill something.

 

“What?” Mina asked moving away from Momo. “Why are you giving me that weird look?”

 

“A little birdie told me that Myoui Mina helped someone yesterday...” Momo wiggles her eyebrows poking her index finger to Mina’s side. 

 

“You mean Nayeon?” 

 

“Ooooh! Are you guys close or something?” 

 

“No..” Mina said. Too soft that Momo noticed something was wrong when she said that. “No.” she said again shaking her head then went back to reading her book ignoring Momo completely. 

 

“You know..” Mina looks at Momo once she started talking again. “I never understood why Seulgi hated Nayeon for dating Irene. Didn’t they already broke up before they started dating?” Momo turns to Mina as if she knows something.

 

Mina placed her book down again.

 

“Irene? The one who stopped the fight at the field?” Mina asked, now interested at the topic.

 

Momo nods, “Yep! Didn’t you noticed Irene’s eyes turns soft when she talked to Nayeon?” she shrugged looking around the place.

 

Then it clicks. Mina remembered what happened at the laundry room. She heard Nayeon was talking to someone. Now that she realized it, it was Irene. 

 

“Are they— are they still dating?” Mina hesitated to asked thinking Momo might get the wrong idea but to her luck, Momo didn’t .

 

“Nope. I heard they broke up last summer. It was rumored that the reason they broke up was Irene’s father knew about her daughter was dating someone poor.” 

 

“Poor? Is it Nayeon?” 

 

Momo nodded, “You know what, Mina? Why are you so interested? Do you like Irene?” 

 

Mina’s eyes widenes, “What?! No! I was— I was just curious. I needed to know something too, you know.” She gulps. 

 

“You have a point there since you’re new,”

 

Mina thanks to whoever she needed to thank for Momo’s dumbness. 

 

 

 

 

Once the bell rang, it was time for lunch. Mina’s friends were waiting for her outside her class but told them to go without her since she needed to go somewhere. Jeongyeon told Mina she’ll go with her but Mina declined. A sad expression was evident in Jeongyeon’s face when Mina left in a hurry who didn’t go unnoticed by the other two Japanese giving her a small smile. 

 

Mina made a turn to where the laundry room was and was hoping she was there. She hopes this is her not so secret hiding place. Mina doesn’t have the jacket but she felt like she needed to see Nayeon. 

 

And she did. 

 

She was leaning on a tree looking outside the big gate enjoying the view of the city. 

 

Mina was frozen in her spot. What should I say? Should I ask her if she’s okay? How is she? 

 

Mina wanted to punch herself for coming unprepared when Nayeon glanced at her.

 

“What are you doing here?” Was the first thing Nayeon said to her once she closes the room and walking to her and taking a seat beside her. Mina should be proud of herself for being so brave for what she did but she couldn’t deny that she was slightly shaking at her acts. 

 

“H—how are you?” Despite the brave face Mina has on her, she’s still scared in Nayeon’s presence. She saw how the girl got angry and she wouldn’t dare do anything to trigger the beast in her. 

 

Nayeon only looks at her.

 

But Mina asked once more.

 

“How are you?” Mina finally looks at Nayeon but immediately got shy when the older girl was still looking at her. 

 

“I’m fine.” Nayeon answered and went back to admiring the view. “What are you doing here?” 

 

“I just came here to check on you,” Mina swears she felt Nayeon tensed beside her after what she had said. “And about your jacket—“

 

“You can have it.” 

 

“N—no. I noticed they were in pair so I think it’s best if I return it. But I’ll wash it first.” 

 

“It’s yours. You already wore it anyway,” Nayeon puffs the cigarette that came out of nowhere. Mina coughs once the smoke entered her nose. Nayeon hums throwing away the cigarette once she saw how uncomfortable Mina was. “Sorry,”

 

“I didn’t know you smoked,” 

 

“You’re a new student of course you wouldn’t know,” Nayeon scoff. Mina muttered a quick ‘sorry’, folding her legs up to her chest and burying her head to her knees hiding her reddening cheeks from the girl beside her. She was embarrassed!

 

They sat in a surprising comfortable silent. Honking from the streets was the only thing that was heard aside from the two who were completely silent. Mina keeps glancing at Nayeon with her head still on her knees. But what Mina doesn’t know is, Nayeon can see what she was doing through her peripheral vision.

 

Mina wanted to ask about the issue about Seulgi but she felt like it would be crossing the line since they weren’t close. Or even friends to begin with. Mina was just curious. She couldn’t help it but to be, since she grew up being so adventurous asking about anything and everything. 

 

“You should go.” She heard Nayeon say and soon the presence beside her disappears.

 

“I thought I was the one who should go?” Mina asked herself then clucks her tongue, as she stood up fixing her uniform and leaving the place. 

 

Maybe she’ll come back tomorrow and see her there again? 

 

 

 

 

Mina came back to her class right on time with a Sana giving her a weird look as soon as she sat beside her, humming like Snow White.

 

“Why are you smiling?” Sana asked, placing her hand on Mina’s forehead checking if she has a cold. “You are not sick...Yah! Do you like someone?!” Sana said in a high pitched voice then Jeongyeon perks up looking at me. 

 

“What?! That’s ridiculous! I don’t like someone!” Mina fights back not realizing how she raised her voice causing the students near their seat looks at her. 

 

“Woah, jeez! Mina calm down! That was a joke,” Sana laughs. Too much, already clutching her stomach but after a minutes she composed herself, “but it’s not like you can like someone since,” she side eyes Jeongyeon who was busy writing, “you’re already  marrying someone.” 

 

They heard the door opening and closing indicating that someone entered who happens to be their professor who is about to start the class when Mina felt something was thrown behind her. At first she ignored it thinking the person was a bad thrower and since she only knows Sana and Jeongyeon in this class. Then after a few minutes, she felt another paper hit her head but this time she turns to see who it was and sees Irene already looking at her.

 

Was it from her? 

 

It felt like they were having a staring contest. The student between them was giving them a confused look but chose to ignore it as it has nothing to do with her. Mina was startled when Irene stood up from her chair and started walking to her direction ignoring the old lady in front of them telling her to sit back down grabbing Mina’s wrist and started pulling her outside the building leaving a confused Sana and Jeongyeon.

 

Once they were already outside, Irene hasn’t let go Mina’s wrist. Her grip only got tighter.

 

“Y—you’re hurting me—“

 

“Stay away from Nayeon.” Irene cuts Mina off. Mina didn’t utter a word. “I saw you talking to her at the laundry room.” she continues. 

 

“I was just checking up on her..” Mina lowers her head. She felt like a child getting punished by her mother and she wasn’t used to it. She was used to her parents treating her like a princess not letting someone lay a finger on her as if she was so fragile she could break instantly. 

 

“You are not her girlfriend!” Irene aggressively swayed Mina’s hand away pointing a finger on her. “Just, just stay away! She is mine. And if you have a plan on getting her, better not do it.” She threatens before she went back inside leaving a not so amused Mina. 

 

 

-

i tried writing it on a different style but it's so hard for me since English isn't my native language. I'll try my best next time!! ^-^ tell me what you guys think of this chapter! please excuse if there are any mistakes here