seven

The Unexpected Fall

 

 

It was lonely. No parents around you, talking or even arguing over nothing. No siblings you could pick a fight with, and even no pets you could cuddle to sleep. That’s how lonely Nayeon is. Even if she lives on the attic of a bakery. Even if there are customers waiting in line in the counter. 

 

She still feels lonely.

 

She got up from her bed and heading straight down to the bakery to clean up for today. It was still early but Nayeon needed to get up anyways. There might be customers waiting outside already. 

 

She could only sigh as soon as she entered the university riding her second hand scooter (which was already fixed thanks to Mark), parking it far away from the cars because it would make her feel like she’s less fortunate in life. But a small smile creeped into her face as soon as she seen Mina walking with three girls, laughing to whatever they were talking about. 

 

She abruptly turned around pretending to check out her scooter so avoid Mina seeing her. She peeked through her shoulder to see if she was gone and she was. They already entered the building, she guessed. She sighed and fixed her clothes. 

 

She was checking out herself in the scooter’s mirror when a hand covered her eye.

 

“Guess who is this?” Mina, which Nayeon already knew, tried to deepen her voice but failed. 

 

“Hm, let me think,” Nayeon pretended to think making the younger laugh. “Mark?” 

 

“What?! No!” Mina removed her hands and forcefully turned Nayeon around with a pout on her lips. 

 

“I thought you were Mark,” Nayeon smirked, completely teasing the younger in front of her who just stayed quiet while looking down. “Hey, I was just joking. I knew you were—“ Nayeon stopped when Mina started walking but when Mina realized what she was doing she walked back to Nayeon with a reddening cheeks.

 

“I do not know why I did that. Do not ask me!” Mina points a finger at Nayeon who was about to talk — obviously going to ask why she did that. 

 

The bell rang indicating that the classes were about to start. 

 

“I need to go now,” Mina looks at Nayeon, “Later, okay?” She grabs the hem of Nayeon’s jacket giving her the best puppy eye she could do. Nayeon only nodded, her gaze shifting away from the younger girl only to see a man from afar wearing all black looking at her and left once she acknowledged him. Nayeon definitely knows who he was. 

 

“Yes, later.” She looks at Mina again giving her the softest smile she could do with her lips, waving a hand as soon as Mina started walking away. Once Mina was nowhere to be seen, she immediately ran heading straight outside the university’s gate leaving her scooter. 

 

 

 

 

“Sit.”

 

A deep voice ordered his men pushing Nayeon to her seat harshly ignoring her scoffs and angry statements. 

 

Nayeon followed the man she saw earlier because if not, her death will be all over the university and she doesn’t want that yet especially if the problem is only about the money she has yet to pay. 

 

“I gave you two chances and you still haven’t paid. What have you been doing Ms. Im,” he lifted Nayeon’s chin using the wood of his knife. Nayeon could only look at him angrily. “I could kill you right now and no one will ever know.” 

 

“What do you expect from a poor college student? A billion ing dollars?!” Nayeon raised her voice, cracking slightly at the end of her sentence making the man in front of her laugh. She was scared, yes. Only because this man in front of her was capable of doing anything to her. Especially when there are 9 men surrounding them. 

 

“Well what do you also expect from a fight? You get to leave whenever? No, Ms Im,” he laughs bitterly. “You have to ing pay!” he points a gun at Nayeon’s leg. 

 

“Or I’ll shoot.” he added.

 

Nayeon closes her eyes. She knew he wasn’t going to give her a chance again because she wasted the other two. This might be her end so she’ll just accept her faith since this was her choice since the beginning. 

 

“Father!”

 

Then another man came out of nowhere slapping his father’s arm away from Nayeon’s leg. Nayeon opened her eyes to see Jackson Wang, the only son of Mr. Wang, who was threatening to kill her. 

 

“What are you doing!?” Jackson turns to his father kicking the gun away from his range. “Untie her!” He orders to the man standing behind Nayeon.

 

“Jackson, son, what are you doing here? Aren’t you supposed to be in—“

 

“Cut the crap, father. I asked you a question, what are you doing with here?” 

 

Nayeon stood up from her seat as soon as she was untied, massaging her swollen wrist standing behind Jackson while giving Mr. Wang a glare. 

 

Jackson knew what he was doing and he knew that his father won’t lay a finger on him to hurt his only son. He loves his son so much just much as he loves her late wife. 

 

“Well, this young lady haven’t paid yet so we decided to scare her a bit,” Mr. Wang chuckled trying to lift up Jackson’s mood. His father is a nice man but as soon as you break his rules, it’s your neck he’s going to break. Simple as that. 

 

“Can you just drop it? You’re a billionaire, father. And you’re threatening her life for a money she can hardly have?!” Jackson said earning a slap from Nayeon. “Sorry,” 

 

Mr. Wang sighs, “You’re right. I’m sorry Ms. Im,” he bows to her making Nayeon follow his movement. “I also apologize for what my men have done to you last time.” 

 

“It’s okay. It was my fault, too. I haven’t paid the money.” 

 

Jackson grins widely clapping his hands, “So! Now that we’re all friends, we are leaving now, father.” He hugs his father kissing him on his cheek making Mr. Wang laugh and left the mansion with Nayeon. 

 

 

 

 

 

“Hey,” Nayeon calls, “I— Uh, thanks for the help back there. If you didn’t arrive on time, I would probably be dead by now.” she jokes looking at Jacket who gave her a smile, eyes still on the road.

 

“No worries. It had to be stopped anyway. Aaaand! Don’t worry he won’t bother you anymore. Or if he does again, call me.” He pats Nayeon’s head. What’s with people patting my head? “So do you wanna eat breakfast first? It’s still pretty early for lunch.” 

 

“Yeah, sure. And while we’re at it, let’s talk since you decided to leave the country!” Nayeon pushes Jackson’s shoulder making him grunt.

 

“Well, I’m sorry my dad sent me back to China!” Jackson fights back but didn’t hit her. “But I’ve missed you, you know.” he smiled.

 

Nayeon was touched, “Aawww! I’ve missed you too!” she pats his cheeks but Jackson playfully swayed it away and wiping it. 

 

Jackson parked outside a fast food chain, opening the door for Nayeon earning a smile from the girl as they enter.

 

They spent their breakfast while talking about how they’ve missed each other while the other one was away and reminiscing their past memories. Jackson also apologized again on behalf of his father which Nayeon replied that it was fine since it was also her fault for not paying. 

 

Once they’ve finished, Jackson started driving again since it will be hours until they arrive at the university. Probably before lunch break. Throughout the whole ride they’d sing along to music played on the radio, screaming their lungs out just like the good’ol days.

 

Jackson made the last turn after hours of driving and they were already in the university and Nayeon’s scooter is in the same place like last time but there were trash on it obviously from the students who hates her. Jackson stopped the car and at the same the bell rang indicating that it was already lunch. He opened the passenger again for Nayeon who was smiling the whole time.

 

“Thank you, Jack!” She laughs closing the door behind her since Jackson can’t since he’s glaring at Nayeon.

 

“I told you not to call me that!” He whines.

 

“Sorry....Jack!” She laughs again but louder this time. 

 

Jackson saw his friends and bid goodbye to Nayeon and that’s when Mark suddenly appears.

 

“Hey, Mark!” 

 

“Heeeey,” he greeted back looking at Nayeon raising a brow and looks back at Jackson who was walking away. “You guys were together..” 

 

“Yeah! Why?” 

 

“Nothing, nothing!”

 

“Awww! You’re jealous? Don’t worry, Marky! We’re just friends.” Nayeon laughs and pecks his cheeks then went to her scooter to pick up the trash around it then Mark followed to help her.

 

But someone was able to watch the whole thing causing her to drop her neatly packed cheese kimbap.

 

 

 

 

Nayeon was five minutes late to meet Mina at their usual spot — wait! is it...there usual spot now? — since she cleaned her scooter who was ruined by the students. She spotted Mina sitting on the grass while leaning on the door, humming to a song. 

 

“Hey!” Nayeon screamed, jumping next to Mina purposely scaring the heck out of her. 

 

“The heck?! Why did you do that?!” Mina pinched Nayeon’s thigh causing the older to wince. 

 

“A—Ouch! Stop, stop, stop! Okay! I’m sorry! Ow!” She rubbed the area where Mina had pinched her sitting beside her. 

 

“So. Where is it?” Nayeon asked, as she noticed Mina came empty handed where she remembered she asked Mina to bring some food. 

 

“Where is what?” Mina looks away. 

 

“The cheese kimbap. I thought you were going to bring some today,” 

 

“I drop— Momo ate it.” Mina said still not looking at Nayeon. 

 

“No, you were gonna say you dropped it. Clumsy Minaaaaa,” Nayeon teased.

 

“Stupid.” She mumbled. I dropped it because I saw you kissed that guy’s cheek! Mina thought angrily letting out a loud scoff making Nayeon stop.

 

“What’s wrong?” She tried turning Mina’s head to face. “I brought something from the bakery! I cooked it for you!” 

 

Mina turns her head when Nayeon said the last sentence. “F—for me?” 

 

Nayeon nodded. “Yep! But before I give you this. Tell me why were you sulking. Was it because you dropped the food? Or your friend Homo ate it?” She wiggles her eyebrows.

 

“It’s Momo. M-O-M-O! Momo. And, I wasn’t sulking. What are you talking about?” 

 

“Okay, okay. Jeez!” Nayeon laughs.

 

“Anyway, the question! Why do you have bruises? Tell me all of it!” 

 

“Okay, okay,” Nayeon looks at Mina. “I was walking home alone at night then suddenly, Baam!” she yelled making Mina jump on her place, “someone punch me until I passed out and Mark found me then—“ 

 

“Stop lying!” Mina slaps her thigh where the bruise is making Nayeon graon in pain which Mina apologized.

 

“I got these bruises from fighting. You know, where you fight someone inside the ring to earn money? Yeah, that. Unfortunately I lost and got...this.” 

 

“Why are you fighting?” Mina asked.

 

“Because of money! Are you even listening?!” Nayeon flicked Mina’s forehead then laugh.

 

“That’s not— that’s not what I meant! Stupid! Why are you fighting for money? Aren’t you rich already? I mean you’re here on this stupidly expensive college,”

 

“Mina,” Nayeon laughs loudly clutching her stomach, wiping tears forming in her eyes from laughing too much. “I’m not—“ she laughs again but when she sees Mina just staring at her, she cleared and fixed herself, “I’m not rich. I’m the poorest here,” she smiled.

 

“I’m not trying to offend you or something but how did you—“

 

Nayeon cuts her off, “Mr. Lee Min Ho.” 

 

“What’s your relationship with him? There’s rumors going around saying that you too are in a student-teacher relationship,” Mina frowns.

 

“Do you really wanna know?” Nayeon smirked. She just loves teasing Mina.

 

Somehow, their relationship improved much faster than they both thought it would be. 

 

Mina only nodded desperately.

 

“Well, let’s just say we’re very close.” 

 

“What’s with you and those three guys’ relationship you all seem to be very close especially that guy you kissed on the cheek!” Mina mumbled to herself looking away from Nayeon. 

 

“What?” 

 

“Nothing.” Mina scoffs. 

 

Why am I even feeling like this? This is stupid! This drives me mad! 

 

“Uh— Hey,” Mina calls Nayeon who was about to fall asleep leaning on her shoulder. Should I ask her? But is it too personal? 

 

“Hm?” Nayeon hums still closing her eyes.

 

“I have another question but you don’t have to answer if it’s too personal but I just hope you answer since she bothered me— no, not really but you know what I mean— do you know what I meant—“

 

“Mina, calm down. You’re rambling. What is it?” Nayeon chuckles, patting hr thighs not knowing that it was near her....you know. 

 

“Is Irene your girlfriend? Because she told me to stay away from you the other day and of course I didn’t follow her, I’m not her—“ 

 

Nayeon cuts her off with a kiss. At the corner of Mina’s lips. And boy that did work. She moves away from Mina who happens to be frozen and staring in the air. 

 

“You keep on rambling! Nayeon— I— Is Irene— you don’t have to answer if it’s too personal— Hahahahaha!” Nayeon mimics the frozen rambling Mina letting out a loud laugh. “And no, she isn’t my girlfriend. Not anymore.” she smiled. 

 

Nayeon kept on laughing while Mina, on the other hand was still shocked. But she felt happy and giddy when Nayeon told her Irene wasn’t her girlfriend. Now, she only needs to know what’s her relationship with Mr. Lee, the guy who drove her here, and the one she kissed on the cheek, Mike— Mile— whatever his name is.


 

 

-

thank you tor reading. no proofread!!
sorry if the chapter is boring ^^ writer's block!! i'll try to make it more interesting in the next chapter. drama might start in the next few chapters!!