eighteen

The Unexpected Fall

 

“Thank you for letting me stay.” Nayeon smiled at the couple in front of her.

 

The moment the Myouis left the bakery, Nayeon had started packing her things so Mr. Lee Min Ho won’t wait any longer to sell the shop. She only packed her clothes since she doesn’t have any gadgets to bring but she did get some bread and soft drinks. She wasn’t mad at him or anything, but she was thankful that he had given her a roof over her head even if it was just temporary. She was more worried about his wife who was her second mother.

 

After the call she made at the bakery, Nayeon first visited her mother. She told her mother everything though she wasn’t sure if she can her hear. But she still tells her about Mina and the time they had at Jeju. She left out the part where the so called prank almost killed her. It was all in the past now and she basically just shrugs of the thought. She was happy that there were no bad blood between her and Seulgi anymore.

 

“It’s no problem. We’re glad we can help.” Seulgi smiles back at Nayeon.

 

It was Irene’s number that Nayeon had memorized but it was her girlfriend who answered. Nayeon thought Seulgi would shout at her for calling Irene but instead she welcomed her into their apartment. It seemed weird calling your ex-girlfriend after losing a home. Nayeon knows it, trust me. She could’ve just called Mina but she lives with her parents and it would be too embarrassing.

 

“It’s just really weird that the first person I called was your girlfriend. I’m so sorry about that.” Nayeon awkwardly laughs. She drinks the water in front of her trying to sooth her dried throat.

 

“Oh, no worries. Helping you is the only way I could pay you back after all the horrible things I did.” Seulgi bumps Nayeon’s shoulder with hers. “Also, maybe you can bake us some cake.” she winks.

 

After all the years of fighting, you can finally say that they were getting along just fine.

 

Seulgi leads Nayeon to the guest bedroom, helping her put her clothes in the closet. Nayeon had know that Seulgi also likes corny jokes as her. The entire hour that they should have used to fold Nayeon’s clothes was done with exchanging jokes that weren’t as funny as they thought it would be but they were laughing, almost running out of air.

 

Both of the girls heard the front door open and closed, figuring that it was Irene who had arrived from the mall. Seulgi runs outside the room to welcome her girlfriend. Nayeon secretly follows Seulgi and leans on a wall watching the two share a hug.

 

“How sweet.” She said suddenly startling Irene. “Hey.” she waves her hand at her ex girlfriend while Irene changes her look from her girlfriend to Nayeon.

 

“What are you doing here?” Irene glares at Nayeon.

 

Nayeon dramatically gasped placing a hand on her chest, “Is that how you treat your ex girlfriend? What? Still hasn’t moved on?” Nayeon jokes as Seulgi laughs.

 

“I already have moved on!” Irene scoffs.

 

“How?” Nayeon smirks.

 

“I made her fall for me.” Seulgi joins in.

 

“How?” Nayeon smirks at Seulgi.

 

“Oh, you know...the one that involves a bed.” Seulgi jokes, wiggling her eyebrows at Nayeon as she bumps their first together.

 

“Ugh! I can’t believe you two are friends now. Now I have to deal with two idiots at one.” Irene groans, dragging her shopping bags with her as she stomps her way to her room.

 

 

 

 

 

The room was silent. It was like having a staring contest but not looking directly at the eye but rather at the forehead or something behind them, if that is even possible. Nayeon lifts her left leg to rest it on her right on, crossing her arms up to her chest then finally looking at the man in front of her who she had not seen for years.

 

It was the couple, Irene and Seulgi, who forced her to meet up with her father after Mark received a call from her very own brother, driving an hour just to tell her this news.

 

Nayeon wanted to run up to her father and give her a tight hug but her pride and the thought of him abandoning his own wife and child stops her from doing so. He was laying on his bed, sick. Her brother, Jaebum stood on the other side of the bed with his lips pursed.

 

“I’m glad you came, princess.” Nayeon felt her head hurts after hearing what her father called her. She still remembers what her brother had told her the last time they met and it stills stings that the person who used to call her that left her and her mother. “I’ve missed you so much.” Mr. Im speaks, his lips suddenly trembles.

 

Nayeon only looks at him with a frown.

 

“I—I’m very sorry for leaving you and your mother. You—“

 

“You left me when I was still in the hospital. I even forgot I have a brother because you took him with you. You left without even saying a goodbye! You left mom! She was so mad and was too broken because the man he loves left with!” Nayeon raised her voice. She couldn’t take it anymore. She tried to calm herself before entering the room.

 

“Did you even know I forgot all my memories because of the...” Nayeon felt herself getting dizzy, “...the— .”

 

“Are you okay?” Jaebum rushed to her sister’s side. “Should I take you to the hospital?”

 

“N—No, I’m okay. Just a little bit dizzy.”

 

Mr. Im tried to sit up straight but Jaebum was fast enough to assist him. He struggled because of his back hurting. Nayeon looks at him in concern.

 

“What happened?” She asked. Trying to sound normal as possible.

 

“Father got severely injured in his spine during the accident that happened years ago—“

 

“The accident I was in?” Nayeon cuts him off.

 

Jaebum nods, “Yes. We thought he only had a minor injury but after months he suddenly felt his back hurting.” He placed a pillow behind Mr. Im, “We went to a doctor and they said he broke his spine and need an urgent surgery but we don’t have money back then.”

 

“How about now? Can he still do the surgery?”

 

Jeabum shrugs, “Father is already old so there might be a possibility that the surgery might not—“

 

“Not be successful.” The Im siblings turns their head to their father who cuts Jeabum off. His was closed, resting after the attempt of sitting. A tear suddenly fells on his face, eyes still closed. “I cannot forgive myself for leaving you and your mother but I did not have a choice. They were after me,” He opens his eyes and looks at Nayeon, “I thought leaving you was the only way to protect you from what was after me. I didn’t know who was after but I know there was someone.”

 

“W—what do you mean?” Nayeon stutters.

 

“I know you don’t remember this but we were at the beach and someone was lurking at us from afar. He was wearing a black suit. The reason why I only took your brother because he was with me the day I heard them talking.” He reaches for Nayeon’s hand that was resting on his bed.

 

“But why didn’t you try to reach us? Or even visit us?” Nayeon started to tear up.

 

“We can’t. The moment we made contact with you is the moment you are involved. After we came back two months ago, that’s we were sure no one was after us anymore.”

 

Now it’s all making sense now. The reason why they got into an accident when she was still young was because someone was trying to kill his father not knowing that there was an innocent child involved. But who would do this kind of thing?

 

“Do you know who did this?” Nayeon clenches her fist.

 

Mr. Im nods, “Yes. But we can’t do anything or will not do anything. He is one of the most powerful man in Korea.”

 

“Again, I’m very sorry, princess. Your brother and I was miserable back at the US when we left you and your mother. We wanted to come back but we also wanted to protect you. I’m very sorry, I hope you forgive me.” He smiles sadly looking at Nayeon.

 

“I—I’m sorry too for the outburst. I was just too overwhelmed.”

 

“No, no, no. It’s fine. You have the right to feel or act that way after what we’ve done. So it’s fine.”

 

Jaebum claps his hands together too loud making the two jump in their place, “So now that we’re all okay now, how about we visit mother?”

 

“We should.”

 

“We should.”

 

 

 

 

“Your girlfriend is taking forever to arrive!” Seulgi whines taking a seat on Nayeon’s scooter almost falling down making her girlfriend and Nayeon laugh. “Your scooter doesn’t know how to balance!”

 

“It’s your fault. You broke it last year.” Nayeon smiles. “And don’t complain you have your car to perfectly balance.”

 

The three turns their head when they heard someone calling Seulgi from afar. It was one of her friends. Not the ones who planned to drown Nayeon but the nice ones. “Give me a minute,” Seulgi said before she runs to her friends leaving Nayeon and Irene behind as they wait for Nayeon’s girlfriend.

 

“I see that you’re starting to love Seulgi back, huh?” Nayeon leans on her scooter as they look at Seulgi laughing out loud.

 

“Yeah, it was the best feeling.”

 

“Better than mine?” Nayeon teased.

 

“Yours is different than hers.” Irene scoffs, “But yes, hers is better. Maybe if only I had realized my feelings for her sooner then I wouldn’t have to date your stupid .”

 

“Oh really?” Nayeon smirked, “So you don’t mind me telling Seulgi the night before you—“

 

Irene covers Nayeon’s mouth, “Stop. Freaking stop or else I’ll tell Seulgi to beat your again.”

 

Nayeon her hand, laughing as she sees Irene abruptly pulls her arm away wiping it on her skirt. “You are disgusting!”

 

“Oh, honey. I know you liked it when I you—“

 

“Stop!” Irene smacks Nayeon’s chest. Then to her arm, and started punching.

 

Nayeon grabs Irene’s wrists tight and just on time, a black Mercedes car pulls over not to far from them. The two watches someone gets out of the driver’s seat, who revealed to be Jeongyeon as what Irene had whispered to Nayeon, running to the passenger’s seat to open the door. Irene tried to pry off her hands from Nayeon but the latter only held it tighter watching the scene in front of her.

 

Jeongyeon opens the door revealing the girl the three had been waiting. She was busy typing something on her phone. She watches Mina gets off the car, giving a small smile to the taller girl and she still hasn’t seen Nayeon. The two girls who just arrived walked past Nayeon and Irene without taking a glance at them. Which made Nayeon upset that she ended up pouting.

 

“Maybe she didn’t see me...” She stares at the two as they entered the building.

 

Irene was able to pry off her hands away from Nayeon as her grip softens, “But how? We were right in front of them.”

 

Nayeon stayed quiet staring at the door Mina’s just entered. After a few, Seulgi arrives and asked about what happened. Irene told her girlfriend everything while Nayeon just looks down on the ground.

 

 

 

 

 

 

The last time they spend on their usual spot was before Mina saw the photo of her and Irene. And it was probably a few weeks ago and Nayeon misses every moment they spend under the tree together.

 

Now she’s back at their spot, hoping Mina would come. She was a bit early. 15 minutes early to be exact and Mina still has class at the moment.

 

She can’t get it out of her head the way Mina ignored her at the parking lot and how she didn’t even glance at her direction. And who was that girl again? Jeonggie? It doesn’t matter. She prays Mina wasn’t cheating on her. Nayeon shook her head. “No, they’re just friends. Friends do that, right? Yeah, yeah.”

 

“Who are you talking to?”

 

Nayeon looks up to see her girlfriend, smiling at her.

 

“Hey..” Nayeon smiled as she scoots over to the side to give Mina space. “Have you had lunch already?”

 

Mina shook her head, “Nope!”

 

“Then what’s that on the bag?”

 

“Our lunch!” Mina said excitedly. Nayeon loves this kind of view. A smiling Mina, an excited Mina, a laughing Mina. She wants to see this for a very long time.

 

“Mhm..” Nayeon only hums and went to draw on the grass, though nothing was visible in her drawing. More like, ruining the perfect good shape of the grass.

 

Mina knows something was bothering Nayeon.

 

“Hey...” she calls, “Is something bothering you?” she placed a hand on her girlfriend’s shoulder. Girlfriend. What a nice word to hear.

 

Nayeon only looks away and shakes her head. “No...” A lie. Mina knows it was a lie.

 

“Please tell me what’s wrong?” Mina crawls over to Nayeon’s legs, kneeling in front of her. “Please, tell me.” she pouted.

 

Nayeon hesitates. But if she doesn’t tell Mina, then how will she know Mina’s relationship with the girl she was with earlier?

 

“You ignored me earlier.” Still avoiding Mina’s eyes, Nayeon spoke looking on her girlfriend’s skirt (not in a ual way).

 

Mina didn’t speak for a moment. She tries to remember. No, not at their classroom. Her and Nayeon are not classmates. Not at the hallway, not outside the— at the parking lot!

 

“...and you were with someone else.” Nayeon added.

 

“And you were with Irene.” Mina answered. Nayeon looks up to Mina, finally. “You saw us?”

 

Mina nods, “Yeah, you were holding her wrist. I didn’t look directly at you but I saw it in my peripheral vision. You two looked...comfortable with each other.”

 

“I was stopping her from hitting me. Seulgi was with us too but she was talking to her friends. What is your relationship with the girl you were with earlier?”

 

“Jeongyeon is my friend. She has been since we were little kids.” Mina smiled at Nayeon as she leans on her front. They were basically cuddling under a tree during lunch period. “So you don’t have to w—worry about her.” Mina stutters. There’s still something Mina hasn’t told Nayeon.

 

“Okay.”

 

“But why were you guys together? Are you two back together?” Mina jokes.

 

“No. I’m staying at their place.” This made Mina abruptly sit up straight facing Nayeon. “What?” She asks, annoyed.

 

“Oh, no, no, no, no. It’s not what you think it is!”

 

Mina gives Nayeon a look. “Really?”

 

“Yes! Oh gosh Mina don’t give me that look, that scares the out of me. Mina, baby, listen.” Nayeon tries to calms her girlfriend down. “Remember the day you and your mom visited the bakery? During that time, Mr. Lee? The professor here? Yeah, him. He arrived and he told me back at the kitchen that he had to sell the place because his wife was at the hospital and they needed money. So after you guys left, I immediately called Irene’s number on the phone and it was Seulgi who answered and it turns out they are living together and—“

 

Mina cuts off Nayeon by kissing her on the lips. She felt Nayeon drops her shoulder and relaxed at the feeling.

 

“You were rambling..” Mina her lips as she pulls away. “I believe you. Don’t worry.” she giggles.

 

Nayeon breaths out, “Good. Because I was too scared that you will get mad that I started to ramble.”

 

“But didn’t you call me? Or even tell me when were still there?”

 

“I don’t have a phone or your number and it would be too embarrassing to ask you and your mom if I could stay with you.”

 

Mina nods, “But still!” she pouts at Nayeon.

 

The two became quiet. A comfortable one. They were just enjoying each other’s presence. But then Mina remembered something her mother told her back at the bakery.

 

“Unnie...”

 

Nayeon only hums in response.

 

“I have to tell you something but please don’t get mad.”

 

She felt Nayeon nods behind her.

 

“W—we have to keep our relationship a secret for the meantime.” Mina tensed as she waits for the older’s reply.

 

“Oh.” Was all Nayeon could say. Her past relationships had also had to be a secret since their parents doesn’t approve. She thought her relationship with Mina would be different. After meeting her mother she thought they would be free. They would go on dates without having to hide from someone else. But she doesn’t wanna lose Mina. She told her they have to be a secret for the meantime. “Okay.”

 

“Especially at Jeongyeon.”

 

“Why?”

 

Mina sighs, “She was the one who showed the photo of you kissing me back at the laundry room. And the minute she knows we’re dating, he’ll tell father and he would make me break up with you and that’s not what I want.” Mina felt herself crying. Not because of their relationship being private but because there’s one thing she’s not telling Nayeon. About getting married to Jeongyeon.

 

“It’s okay, Mina. I understand.” Nayeon placed a gentle kiss on her neck, “Just promise me that if ever your parents decided to make you marry someone, tell me.” Nayeon jokes.

 

Mina nodded, feeling burning. She’ll make everything right. For Nayeon.

 

 

I’m sorry.

 

 

OH IT'S STARTING!!! jk

no proofread!!!!!!!!!!