Dandelion (Tribute to a Legend) - 98line

Endless Playlist Stories
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Note: The 98line refers to the group of friends UmB belong to. Given the recent event, this story is an emotional one so please read til the end although it might be difficult. I explain my motives in the usual footnote at the end. Needless to say, this is only a fiction.


 

SinB P.O.V.


 

My name is Hwang Eunbi. In the medieval World I live in, I am just an orphan who is sheltered by an Uncle.

 

A nice and good Uncle - everything a little girl of seven years old could have ever wished for.

 

“Eunbi, the villagers told me you defended a small girl against an older kid. I admire your bravery but just be careful. His parents are the village bankers I owe money to - You know Uncle will do anything to protect you and love you Eunbi-ah?”

 

I nodded with teary eyes - everything was just so unfair. I know Uncle only wanted me to behave and not get lots of attention. Yet, I still could not understand why I was the one being reprimanded and not that boy.


I could see how hard it was for Uncle everyday. Yet, everything I wanted, he always managed to give me. That was until I found out bankers were not the only villagers he owed money to.

 

I guess I am not an easy child to raise. And so I decided I had to make up for it. I had to help Uncle after all those years he had always put me first.

 

That’s how I started stealing valuable objects.

 

“Where did you find these Eunbi?”

 

“I found them on the floor outside in a small street.” - I lied and that was the first of many.

 

They were all white lies to me - how foolish, impetuous and mindless of me.

 

Uncle managed to refund a big part of his debt. He seemed less stressed. Yet, he instead became worried as my findings got too usual to be accidental.

 

“Eunbi, promise me you will never put yourself in danger. You will never take any risk. That you will let Uncle take care of you. That you will grow up like a princess with no struggle.”

 

The concern in his voice was the only emotion he could not hide. I should have known that behind those smart turns of phrase, he was just begging me to stop whatever I was hiding from him.

 

Deeply and foolishly convinced I was doing something good for Uncle and I - stubbornness got the best of me.

 

And once again I found myself ignoring his vow - unknowing that it would be the last time.

 

The artifact I laid eyes on was very special this time - it looked almost surreal. A stone in gold was shining and caught my eyes - despite being hidden behind a house’s window.

 

Everything I have stolen so far were mere jewelry from people wandering in the market. I have never penetrated into a stranger's house to steal something. Yet, something within me was telling me this stone would solve all our issues for good. It looked like the most valuable object on Earth. So I took that risk Uncle warned me so much about.

 

I am no more the innocent princess Uncle still sees me as. I am now a thief … a criminal.

 

The house looks too peculiar to be from some ordinary villagers but I could not care less at that moment.

 

I was happy when I managed to get a grip on the stone and evaded through the open window.

 

When I made it back home without anyone noticing me, I felt shamelessly proud.

 

"Uncle, look what I found! This will solve all our problems for good."

 

Uncle was shocked when he saw what I had in my hands.

 

"Where did you find that?"

 

"Abandoned near the trash" - I lied.

 

"Put that back where it was!"

 

"Why?"

 

"Eunbi, it is impossible for someone like me to possess a stone in gold while being in so much debt. They will suspect something."

 

"You never said that with the other artifacts I brought home"

 

"They were mere jewelry… This however … looks magic"

 

"Magic? I thought you said I shouldn’t believe in it…"

 

Uncle was speechless. I had a good memory and I swore these were his own words. Our world was magic-free according to him.

 

"Eunbi promise me you will put that back please right away."

 

"Why? Uncle who cares about whether we can afford it? It was found!"

 

"Eunbi if you love Uncle do as I told you."

 

"Ok … but I will tomorrow" - I said with a defeated tone. I was still hoping a restful night would make Uncle change his mind.

 

I could not sleep as I thought about that gold stone that I left in Uncle's room.

 

I decided to pay a visit to the intriguing place which served as the gold stone's house. I know it was the middle of the night and a dangerous act especially from a seven year old girl.

 

Maybe due to my imagination, fear and paranoïa - I never made it to the house.

Instead I encountered some cavaliers on my way to it. They looked focused, riding with a purpose, but more than that they were terrifying in their long black robes. Their eyes were glowing as well - something about them screamed soulless. They were like empty shells.

 

The thing is that I have never seen them, especially on that road. And when I realized that … It was too late.

 

I ran as fast as I could back home.

 

Once there, a macabre scene welcomed me.

 

"Uncle!!" - I screamed as I approached his body on the floor.

 

There was blood everywhere and no pulse.

 

I noticed how the Gold Stone disappeared as well. I couldn't care less but I was now sure the scary cavaliers were the authors of this horrible act. They came for the stone that I stole. In the end, Uncle was killed … because of me.

 

My tears were troubling my vision. I had no home anymore as I lost the only person that felt like it.

 

I ran to the nearest house. There was only one near mine as our area was a little bit secluded from the rest of the village.

 

I didn't know our neighbor because Uncle had always been protective over me. I just know they have a boy.

 

"Oh Eunbi… what happened?"

 

"Uncle … they killed him…"

 

The shock on the woman's face was hard to watch. Still, she hugged me and for the first time I experienced maternal love.

 

A boy appeared from a room. My cries might have awakened him. I couldn't read his face.

 

The mother noticed his presence and warmly introduced me to him.

 

"Oh son, please meet Eunbi and Eunbi this is Moon Bin."

 

"What happened to Uncle Hwang?" - He asked.

 

The mother was shocked by the question - he has been eavesdropping all this time but I was more shocked by something else:

 

"You know Uncle?"

 

"Yes, he often comes to visit. He is a good friend."

 

The mother responded. Then, she told me adults will take care of Uncle. She was good at hiding how afraid and worried she was. Yet, she kept on smiling and hugging me.

 

She prepared a cozy couch for me in her son’s room. I cried even more that night as I was trying to fall asleep. The last image of Uncle was haunting me.

 

"Are you cold?"

 

I was taken back because Bin was still awake. It feels like he has been watching over me.

 

"No, I am just sad."

 

"Why? Uncle is still here. You just can't see him."

 

His words were too wise especially when I then learned that he was the same age as me. I thought he was younger but just because I was taller than him.

 

"It is all because of me. If only I had listened to him…"

 

"It is not too late, you can still enforce his teaching. Pretty sure he would be happy to see you do that."

 

I merely nodded as I tried to focus on his positive way of looking at the situation.

 

Moonbin and his family welcomed me and treated me as if I were part of their family. It was heartwarming but I just couldn't forgive myself. And everyone in the village became wary of me. No one wanted me to enter their Shop and House as they believed I would only bring bad luck. And that everyone would suffer and end up like my Uncle.

 

I didn't notice back then but I was lucky to have people like the Moon family.

 

Bin introduced me to his same-age friend Chanwoo. The latter was a little bit shy compared to the blunt Bin. On top of that, he had a weird passion.

 

"Eunbi, you should read this book. It is about the magic spell"

 

"Magic doesn't exist" - I argued, remembering Uncle’s firm words.

 

"It does."

 

I shook my head and Chanwoo carried on:

 

"If so, why do you think this library has so many books on the subject?

You still don't believe me.

Tell her Bin."

 

Bin looked at us, stopping whatever food he was chewing on.

 

"That's true Eunbi. I have seen a witch once."

 

"How did you know it was one?"

 

"She was mumbling words that sounded gibberish"

 

"And that's it?" - My mocking tone was visible.

 

"Then she disappeared in the smoke she started herself with her hands" - He finished his story.

 

I laughed before mocking them again:

 

"You boys are so weird"

 

The bickering continued as the years went by. I created many good memories but the past would always haunt me.

 

Indeed, one day I took a glimpse at Chanwoo's book. Among the magical artifacts it covered, there was an illustration which immediately caught my eyes: the Golden Stone.


 

“You look like you have seen a ghost.” - Chanwoo questioned my pale face. His question managed to trigger Bin’s attention which was an exploit as he was often busy eating food or playing on his own.

 

“That stone … It killed Uncle.” - I bluntly revealed.

 

“No, that's impossible as the Renaissance Stone actually does the opposite” - Chanwoo calmly explained with his erudite tone.

 

I was taken aback. The Gold Stone was actually named Renaissance Stone.

 

“You mean it can give birth?” - I asked with a confused tone.

 

“Rebirth as resurrection.” - Chanwoo corrected me and he right away got my attention:

 

“Tell me more … how does that work?”

 

“It is quite the first time you are interested in my book and magic Eunbi … I am impressed and …” - Chanwoo couldn’t finish his sentence as Bin took the book from him. The latter was as invested as me as if he understood right away the motive behind my curiosity.

 

“The Stone is capable of bringing back to life one Soul. The legend tells that the Stone is being guarded by the Dark Brotherhood. The latter are powerful dark witches known for their bloody fighting, horse-riding and merciless skills. Some wanderers allege their shelter is at the top of the Star Mountain.” - Bin read.

 

I was shocked by the description as it fits the cavaliers I encountered the night Uncle got killed and right after I stole the Renaissance Stone. I quickly disregarded as I said out loud the motive I had been thinking:

 

“Uncle can be brought back to life.”

 

“Hum yeah but did you not listen to the second part Bin just read.” - Chanwoo sounded perplexed.

 

“I stole that Stone once - pretty sure it won’t be that hard this time either.” - I was determined.

 

Bin didn’t say anything but he was focused on me with the unreadable mask he often wears.

 

“It is dangerous.” - Chanwoo was insisting on the risks.

 

“That’s why I will go on my own.”

 

A silence followed my sentence. Nothing would stop my stubbornness this time as I had to do it. I had to try to bring back Uncle. Else, I would never be able to forgive myself.

 

The following night I ran away from the house that sheltered me for almost seven years now. The Moon Family was like my second home and family. I will forever be grateful for how well and kindly they treated me. I wasn't sure whether I would be seeing them again. It didn’t matter at that moment because all I wanted was to bring back Uncle - correct the mistake I have made. Otherwise, I was convinced I wouldn’t be able to carry on and live.

 

Thus, the fifteen year old girl that I was, walked towards the Star Mountain. I could see a black castle from afar and thus knew the legend was true. Deep down I was terrified but I came to peace that this dangerous journey was my destiny.

 

I arrived at the gate of the guarded Castle. A silence was reigning but the night wasn't peaceful. It was all gloomy and damped.

 

I was going to enter by the huge door when suddenly a hand grabbed my wrist preventing me from leaving my undercovered spot. I turned and got surprised to see:

 

“Moonbin?? You followed me…”

 

“Of course I did. Chanwoo didn’t want to but there was no way I would have left you on your own.”

 

“That's my quest though … my destiny. You shouldn’t have come.” - I argued.

 

“I want to help you. That's what friends are for, right?”

 

I would have never admitted to his face but I was reassured by his presence. He has always been here in my toughest moments. Yet, a part of me was also afraid as he would put himself in danger for me.


Sadly we didn’t have time to argue much as we suddenly got caught by a cavalier.


The Dark Brotherhood witches looked impressive in their long black robes and their shining eyes. They almost look possessed by dark magic or whatever was driving their soul.

 

We ended up in a cell inside the Castle dungeon. For the first time in seven years, Bin and I got separated. I found it hard to cope with our uncertain future. What will we become? Did I just sign our death note?

 

Surprisingly, I wasn’t alone in my cell. There was another girl who I then learned was the same age as me.

 

“Hello, I am Yewon.”

 

“I am Eunbi. How did you end up here?”

 

“My curiosity and you?” - Yewon asked back.

 

“My stupidity. That's worse right?” - I sadly laughed.

 

“Well it doesn't matter as we both ended up at the same spot.” - Yewon winked at me and I appreciated how cheerful she was at that moment.

 

“What will we become?” - I asked her as she seemed knowledgeable on the subject.

 

“They will train us to become like them. If you are not strong enough, you don’t make it.”

 

“I don't want to become like them… they killed my Uncle.” - I opened up to her.

 

“Yeah but that's our only way out sadly.” - Yewon only spoke the truth.

 

“They look dead… maybe we are better off not trying.”


Yewon remained speechless as if she silently acknowledged my statement. Then, I thought about Uncle and Bin. I shouldn’t give up that easily - I should at least try.

 

The following day I was happy and relieved to find Bin in the same training room as me. He wasn’t the only boy - his same-age cellmate Seungkwan was here too. With Yewon, we were four prisoners.
Four teens whom the Dark Brotherhood planned to brainwash and train but at what expenses.

 

The training was very hard and so long. It is surprising no one remembered me … If they knew that I am the one who stole the Renaissance Stone I don't think I would still be alive. I guess looking grown up from the then seven-year-old me was my salvation.

 

We didn't have much free time with the four of us together. Yet, as the years were passing I could see a change in Bin. The Brotherhood was very harsh with him and his self-esteem.

 

I once heard one of the Dark witch screamed at him:

 

“Your childhood dream was to become a soldier?! Yet, you are useless in this current state of yours for our Brotherhood. You better improve quickly. It has been five years already and you are still not ready… will you ever be?”

 

Just like me, Bin wasn’t keen on showing his emotions and his struggle. However, when it was hard for me, he was always there to cheer me up.


 

“You can’t give up on your quest Eunbi.” - He repeated.

 

“We are twenty years old now and stuck at this place.” - I reminded him with a hopeless tone.

 

“Think about your Uncle.”

 

A silence followed and when I finally gained my composure I said out loud what everyone has been thinking:

 

“We need to evade.”

 

Yewon and Seungkwan all agreed on that. For the first time, we were really enforcing that decision. Thanks to the years of training, we manage

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter