Beautiful Life - UmB

Endless Playlist Stories
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

N/A: This one made me very emotional especially with the music Beautiful Life by Cold. It is slightly angsty. 

 

 

 

Umji P.O.V.

 

I remember when the lights went out in Boston. 

 

It was December back then too and we were in the middle of our last year at high school. 

 

I remember how you first talked to me when I was crying in front of my parent’s house door. The second day of December was already snowing day,  yet there I was seating on the cold stairs wearing only my pajamas. 

 

« Hello, is everything ok? » - You asked me and I got slightly scared as I haven’t seen you approach. 

 

Even back then, you had that bobbed hair that suits you so well - although it was kinda unusual on high schoolers. At that moment, I didn’t know we were going to the same school nor that we were the same age because of your clothes. You were wearing black jeans, black boots and a black leather vest that I found inappropriate for the cold weather. Your clothes seemed more grey than black because obviously worn out. 

 

« I am sorry … I didn’t mean to scare you. I am Hwang Eunbi. You’re Kim Yewon, right? We go to the same high school and same grade.» - You introduced yourself as you smiled. 

 

« Oh Eunbi nice to meet you … I am surprised you know me … I am sorry I don’t really know you. » 

 

« It is ok … why are you alone in the cold? » - You asked as you sat beside me on the stair. 

 

I was kinda dumbfounded by your boldness. I was rather shy with strangers. It was even more awkward - the fact that I was in my worst case. Yet, something about you felt comfortable, warm that’s why I opened up myself to you:

 

« I fought with my parents but if I told you the reason you’ll find it silly … I myself realize now that it was silly. » - I chuckled. 

 

Yet, your eyes focused on me were wearing a serious expression. For a second, I was immersed in your black irises. It was weird because I felt like I couldn’t read you through them as if you have put a wall. I disregarded it back then … I know I shouldn’t have. 

 

« I want to know what made your shining eyes cried and swollen. » - Your serious tone took me aback but you emanated empathy so I gave in:

 

« I told them that I wanted a piano for Christmas  and they mocked me. » 

 

« You play instruments? » - You asked me. 

 

«  Yeah, I like composing my own songs and singing them with my guitar. However I feel like they would be even more beautiful with a piano. I know how to play - I just need one. » - Just like that I managed to tell a cherished secret to a stranger. However you didn’t feel like one and telling it to you was the best thing I have ever done. 

 

« I would love to hear you sing and play. » 

 

« Oh really? » 

 

It was the first time someone has showed interest to my singing. Even my closest friends, they remained indifferent and had never asked me to sing and play for them. 

 

« Yeah but for that it would be better for you to go back inside. Catching a cold would ruin your voice. » - You said as you stood up and lend me your hand. 

 

I took it and felt butterflies - it was soft - so unexpected from the cold aura you had. 

 

The next day you managed to find me at school. We spoke about my passion. You said you admired singers and artists in general who could produce magnificent experiences for our senses. I wanted to introduce you to my friends but you said not to bother and that we will eventually. 


After school, I met you again in the school’s music room. You were waiting for me and I noticed that you were still wearing black clothes. Back then I didn’t really realize that they looked pretty much the same as the ones you were wearing the day before. 

 

« Hello Yewon … do you want some? » - You offered me some candies and I couldn’t manage to obey my parents’ order this time. It is funny how you brought the child in me and how childish you could actually be under that cold aura. You had a certain type of innocence but if I’ve known you better back then - everything would have made sense. 

 

Yet, I really never realized how often we were speaking about myself, my life, my passion … while you gave me only pieces of yours.

 

« Before I hear you sing - can I pick your stage name? » - You asked excited and I nodded. 

 

« Umji » 

 

« Wait why? This is ridiculous. » 

 

« You told me you like the movie Thumbelina. » - You said. 

 

« Alright my turn to pick you a stage name. »

 

« I don’t even know how to sing! » - You angrily and cutely complained.

 

 My smile vanished - not because of your expression. Because no matter how hard I tried to think about your favorite movie, I just realized that you’ve never said it. You were truly a mystery.

 

« SinB »

 

« Why? » 

 

« SinB meaning mysterious - I won’t tell you so that it stays a mystery. » - I teased you and you had an  angry expression so funny that I bursted in laugh. 

 

« What is funny? » - You asked.

 

« Nothing SinB … I mean Eunbi. »

 

« Well Umji you can call me whatever you want. » - You said innocently and I almost cringed at the stage name. It was very new and so unexpected but I liked your childish creativity.

 

« I’d like to hear you sing. » - You said excitedly and I nodded before taking the guitar. 

 

I was singing a song I wrote back in summer about the stars talking to kids. The lyrics were creative - maybe too much - but I was surprised by your reaction. In fact at the end of the song your concentrated face turned into an impressed one:

 

« This is so beautiful and unique. And your voice is soothing it is healing. » 

 

I don’t know what happened to me - I hugged you. I guess I was just very grateful to receive for the first time comment on my passion. You analyzed the song well and your words moved me. 

 

You hugged me back before we both break it: 

 

« Thank you SinB. » 

 

« It is the truth Umji. You have talent and it would be absurd not to support you and lie to you. » 

 

« You know Eunbi … my dream is to sing at the Christmas festival of the city. » 

 

« Then that’s also my dream: I would love to hear you perform there. » 

 

« Thank you Eunbi … For that I would need to find the perfect melody. You know the atmosphere of this festival is special - it is magic. » 

 

« I would love to see the process and if I can help you. » 

 

« Yeah we can write a song together! »

 

« I don’t think I have the talent though … » - You said unconfidently. 

 

« It takes time and imagination but looking at your idea of stage name - I am sure you have it. »

 

« If you want I can choose the song title. » - You said excitedly.

 

« Sure if you have one. »

 

« Yeah I do: Beautiful Life. »

 

I was intrigued by your choice. If only back then I would have thought more deeply - I cannot help but sigh at my lack of attention to details and hints. I was unknowingly and unwillingly selfish. 

You said it very happily - perhaps too happily. Some would call you optimists, some a dreamer and other mentally affected by Peter-Pan syndrome.
However, at the same time, the title wasn’t that shocking - plus for Christmas - it fits. That’s why I just approved without raising too much questions. 

 

We spent the weeks after our team in the music room. I would show you all my compositions. 

We didn’t get to find the time to write that song but I didn’t have high hope about the festival anyway. It was way too early and without a piano the song won’t turns out as beautiful to be selected for the festival. 

 

Christmas was approaching and I decided to organize an encounter in a café with the other girls after school. I invited you as well. 

 

« Who is that girl? » - One of my friends asked me while you were approaching us for afar.

 

« It is Hwang Eunbi - she is our age. » 

 

« I have never noticed her. Maybe because she looked like she escaped a slum. » 

 

« That’s not nice. » - I told her but deep down I remember that I had the same impression the first time we met. Although I would never say nor admit such thing.

 

« Yeah but it is her clothes and her hair  too sh- … » 

 

« Hello Umji … I mean Yewon. » - You appear suddenly and my friend shut up. 

 

« Hello Eunbi … »

 

I introduced you to my friends and although your smile never left your face - I could sense the awkwardness. My friends didn’t know what to say and I guess you neither. I tried to chitchat a little bit but conversations turn shot. Then you said you had to leave and you bid us goodbye. 

 

« Yewon it is creepy how she looked at you and that face … she looked insane. » - My first friend said.

 

« Yeah that’s true … I mean she seemed nice and stuff but there is something off about her. » - The second confirmed. 

 

« It is like a wall with a blurred window … you know it is not the reality but you can’t look inside. » - The third one explained. 

 

« That’s nonsense. Eunbi is not like that at all. She felt just awkward around you since she only knows me. Plus, you didn’t give her a warm welcome. » - I said as I left them. 

 

It is terrible to say it now but my friends were somehow kinda right - although they didn’t describe you in a good way.

 

I invited you to my house during the Christmas vacation - unconsciously because I wanted to apologize - but also merely because I enjoyed your company. 

 

You never spoke about the encounter with my friends. We spoke music and we watched together the Christmas festival. 

 

« Eunbi are you planning to have a nice Christmas dinner with your family tonight? » - I asked you looking at the clock. 

 

« No … they’re not here. » - You merely responded.

 

« Then Eunbi do you want to stay for the Christmas dinner? I can tell my parents I am sure they won’t mind. » 

 

« No I can’t stay too late outside … it is the rule … » - You seemed apologetical.  

 

« It is only seven p.m. plus it is a special occasion. You can even sleep here just call them.» 

 

« I lost my phone … So I’ll better go. Celebrate well Yewon. » - You said as you stood up from the couch. 

 

« Alright … Merry Christmas to you too Eunbi. » 

 

You stood there looking at my eyes. I am sure you saw the sadness in them because you were so good at reading me. 

 

« Yeah merry Christmas Yewon. You will tell me how it well next time. » - Then you left with a smile … it was sad. 

 

This Christmas was like the other ones … I just felt empty because you were alone in your home. If only I knew back then … 

 

Our first day at school … you greeted me happily - sorry for the comparison you were like a puppy happy that its owner was finally at home. It was really cute to see.

 

« Yewon … I have a surprise for you. » 

 

« Oh really … ? I also want to tell you something. » 

 

« Yeah … But you can say it first. »

 

« I am organizing a little party this afternoon and not evening so that you can stay a little bit longer. My other friends will be there but don’t worry now they know you. » - I tried to reassure you in case the last encounter had left a bad memory. Again I am not sure since we have never spoken about it. 

 

« Alright I’ll come and I’ll give you the surprise once there then. »

 

« Sure thanks … I really appreciate that you’ll come. » 

 

You smiled and I was happily waiting for the afternoon. Once at home, I finished backing the chocolate cake. I wanted you to feel the celebration atmosphere since I guessed you couldn’t have had one for so long.

 

Surprisingly you were the first one at my doorsteps. I saw you struggling with a big package.  

 

« Do you need help? » 

 

« No I will manage. »

 

« What is it? »

 

« My surprise. » 

 

I was really surprised indeed. I wouldn’t have expected it - the package was funny though it looked like it was wrapped with used papers. 

 

« Open it. » - You excitedly said.

 

I did and I was dumbfounded because it was small piano. It looked used and some keys were damaged but still it worked fine.

 

« This is my Christmas gift. » 

 

« It is the nicest gift ever. How did you get it? » - I asked you - I just couldn’t believe it.

 

« Santa Klaus gave it to me by mistake but it will be more useful for Umji the artist.» - You merely said half joking half serious.

 

I gave you a hug. 

 

« Many thanks SinB … I can’t thank you enough … » - Inside I felt bad that I didn’t get you any gift so I hoped the party will make up for it. It was so unexpected that you did. 

 

« Hello, are we interrupting something? » - My friends said when they appear at the door. 

 

« No » - I said as I broke the hug. « Great that you’re all here. I have made some cakes. »

 

The awkwardness was less present this afternoon. The girls were busy talking with each other while you were busy eating the cakes happily. I was watching you and then the second after your eyes looked up and met mine. I gave you a sweet smile while you seemed lost in my irises. It was so cute how your mouth was still full with that piece of cake. Then you frowned at me in childish way and I bursted into laugh. 

 

At that moment the girls conversation stopped and they eyed us as if we were crazy. To be honest I didn’t care because they couldn’t understand our own funny moments. 

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter