Обійми - 97line

Endless Playlist Stories
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

NB: Although the title is in Ukrainian, the story is in English ;) 

 

Yuju P.O.V.

 

« Miss Choi, what is touching? » 

 

« Touching …? » 

 

I have never had any doubt answering my students about touching. Touching is a dangerous and thus, a forbidden action that our ancestors used to have - and that is the reason humanity almost ended. 


The first thing our society was learning its babies is how to keep their hands to themselves and only use them for objects they shall make sure are clean and will be clean for next usage. 

That’s how humanity is still alive - and that’s my job. I am a scientist in Hygienism -  a profession that didn’t exist fifty years ago. Now it is the most important one. People who protect humanity used to be army soldiers with weapons. Now I am part of the people who protect humanity against a new kind of threat: epidemic and virus. 

 

Fortunately, we no longer need our hands - technology does everything for us. Would you need to drink something - the home Robot would bring the clean cup to you and then wash it. 


Dirtiness is something that disappeared thanks to these new measures and thanks to that our health got way better. 

 

I am also a part-time teacher in a school. I teach my students about the fundamental hygienic rules.

 

« Miss Choi - are you alright? » - The boy asked me suddenly and I came back to my senses.

 

« Touching no longer exists - this dangerous practice has been forbidden since 2030. The reason being it was the cause of bacteria and virus spread. » 

 

All my students gasped as they nodded. 

 

I took the subway as usual to go home. Once at home, that usual urge to check up the figures came up again. I opened the tablet provided by my Medical Center and sighed of relief: the epidemic and bacteria rates were at zero. I could now sleep - my heart at ease - knowing I was doing my job correctly. 

 

I thus put myself into the bed and activated the auto-cleaning system. 

 

The next day started as a usual one: I took the subway to go to work.

 

People in the subway were keeping a distance between each other - even when it was packed.
There were no physical contact - never and it was reassuring. People were behaving correctly and safely. As someone who didn’t wear any headphones - I was used to that long silence. People were minding their own businesses - and although I could slightly hear a mix of music from the noisy headphones it was rather peaceful.

Yet, it didn’t last long. Indeed at some point a big group of people entered the subway and I felt myself close to others. No worries as I was used to it. There were always lots of people once the city center reached. 

What I wasn’t used to - however - was the slight contact on my hand. Indeed, I was holding the clean pole with my hand - that I was planning to wash right after the end of the ride. And I didn’t expect to feel something other than cold metal against my finger. It was warm. That was the first thing that crossed my mind. The second thought was less pleasant: I just lost my physical contact ity. 

I looked at my hand and immediately noticed the fingers which touched mine.
It couldn’t be an accident because we were all educated for this to never happen.
I looked up and my mind became blank as our eyes met. I didn’t know your name because you were a stranger. Yet, the smile you gave me said otherwise. I really didn’t know how to react - I just broke our eyes contact and removed my hand from the pole. 

 

Hopefully, it was my stop soon and once reached I rushed through the exit. My day at work was inexplicably troublesome - I found it hard to erase that image of your smile from my mind. 

Isn’t ironic that my work was about preventing any deviating behavior? 

 

Indeed, even in such system, perfection was still unfeasible. There was a rare psychological illness within the population called HugFreak. Those latter have issues enforcing the social distancing measures. My job was to help them get rid of this compulsive disorder. I have always successfully managed to help my patients and I felt proud whenever I would free a healed patient. 

 

« Doctor Choi » - My boss suddenly called me and I stopped my river of thoughts. « Are you alright? » 

 

« Yes sir, I am » - I was still convinced it wasn’t a lie.  

 

« Good because the system needs you to get rid of the Hug Freaks. It is crucial for humanity survival. »


« Yes and it is an honor to serve such meaningful and important purpose. » 

 

« Good then get back to work. » 

 

I nodded without thinking much. Hopefully, I listened to my boss and went back to work. It allowed me to stop any doubt I may have had deep down. My mind reunited with my purpose in life: keeping on saving humanity. For inexplicable reasons, I hesitated entering the subway in the evening. I guess I had a slight reminiscence of the morning incident. I signed of relief when I noticed how empty it was. My ride at home was back to normal and so was my sleep. 

 

The following day, I felt a sense of confidence as if the night erased all the unconscious doubts I could have had. Why do I call these weird thoughts doubts? It is not an incident - no matter how serious it was - that would make me call myself into question. What I felt was new because it was my first physical contact. Yet, it doesn’t mean the feeling was good - or was it?

I decided to give up on that train of thoughts. I didn’t want them to ruin my day as they almost did the day before.   

 

Yet I would have never imagined that something else that my thoughts would breach the peaceful routine - nor have I imagined seeing you again. But as far as I know my eyes see clear and there you are entering the subway at the same station as yesterday. 

 

You seemed lost in your thoughts or probably just sleepy in these early hours. You short hair didn’t look combed or at least it wasn’t perfectly done. You grabbed the pole in front of me. You suddenly looked up and our eyes met. For the first time, your eyes brightened erasing any tiredness. Then you smiled at me and I got confused as I was still looking at you emotionlessly. Well I was confused and intrigued. I don’t think we have ever met and thus for a stranger to smile at me I would have found it creepy.  For inexplicable reasons, I didn’t find you creepy. I just felt weird again and I disliked not knowing what it was. So I broke the eye contact and closed my eyes. Why was I acting like this? I guess your presence was enough to remind me of our incident. That’s the only way I could explain my current state. 

 

A sudden alarm took me back to reality. I opened my eyes and health guards storming into the subway. Health guards are in charge of arresting Hug Freaks. Wait … if they are here it means that one of them is there. 

 

I suddenly looked towards you and your eyes were looking down as if you were trying to hide yourself.
Was it fear in your eyes? Why were you so tensed suddenly? I guess it was my turn to stare at you. It was impossible for you not to feel my eyes on you. Yet, you never lifted your head.

I finally realize when suddenly the health guards grabbed you with their gloves as if you were contaminated and you somehow were. Indeed, my eyes widened when finally the unfathomable truth hit me: you were a HugFreak. 


I closed my eyes for inexplicable reasons. I couldn’t watch although it wasn’t the first time I was witnessing such scene. I arrived at work with a heavy mind. I was ashamed to feel like this. I didn’t even know you. You were a stranger and on top of that a HugFreak. You needed to be cured - you weren’t normal. You are not the only one and you sadly won’t be the last one. Why was I even surprised? You … you  … touched me.  I should have doubts the moment you did. It is not like I wasn’t most of my work time confronting HugFreaks. I have seen hundreds of them. Yet, with you it was as if it felt normal. 

 

I tried to work but I felt strange - as if I just couldn’t erase your eyes from my mind. Some unavoidable emotions were giving me a hard time. But the task I was given was beyond what I could have imagined.

 

« Yuju, I decided to assign you a new case. Your promotion depends on the outcome so do well. » - My boss announced. 

 

I wasn’t sure why suddenly he seemed to have doubts. Was the unfathomable change within myself that obvious? 

 

Without saying anything, I merely nodded before following him. I entered the new case cell and for a second I froze: it was you. The one who had been bothering my mind since the morning. 

 

You were still looking at the floor - avoiding any eye contact. I am not even sure you heard me enter the room. 

 

« Alright I will leave you with the case. » - My boss left the room and close the door. 

 

That exact moment you looked up and our eyes met. The fear you had in your eyes vanished and surprisingly a smile draw on your face. I tried to keep my cover and not express my surprise in front of your reaction. My work and the important purpose were my priorities. 

 

« Hello, I am Yuju. What’s your name? » - I remained emotionless as I approached you then stopped to maintain the mandatory safe distance.

« I am Eunha. » - You finally spoke and your voice sounded really cute - almost like a child. 

 

« Well Eunha, I am here to help you get rid of your sickness. » 

 

« I am not sick. » - I wasn’t surprised as I expected this response. 

 

« That’s exactly your sickness. You don’t see there is something wrong with yourself. That’s the issue of all the HugFreaks. Bt don’t worry, it is my job to help you. » -  That was the usual answer I would give.  

 

I logged into my tablet and created your profile. I looked at you and you were lost again in your thoughts. Now that I found back my composure, I could see some sadness in your shiny black eyes.

 

« Just so you know Eunha.  We have one month to cure you at the end of which you will pass a test. If you succeed you will be freed and you won’t suffer from any consequences. »

 

« What if I fail? » - You asked.
 

« Your mind will be reinitialized. »

 

« It means I will die? »

 

« Well somehow yes somehow no. Your body will stay the same but you won’t be the same person. » 


You looked sadder so I added:

 

« But don’t worry it has never happened to anyone I was in charge of. The experts were always satisfied. I don’t see why that would change. » - I reassured you but surprisingly it didn’t seem to work as the air was still heavy with your sadness. 

 

You suddenly looked up at me and I could feel tension. I got lost in your dark irises. How could I be so blind not to figure out the inexplicable power you had on me? Why was I reacting like this? Why looking into your eyes was triggering doubts in me? Wait … Doubts? No never … never will I ever doubt myself or my education.

 

« Why are you different from the other cases? » - I heard myself say out loud.

 

You suddenly approached me and I froze as you took my hand so effortlessly. It was as if it was normal for you. Wait but that wasn’t and hence, why was I staying still?


I suddenly slapped your hand off mine with the other and ran to the disinfectant. I had to wash the dirt away. I looked back at you afterward and you look hurt. You were back in that sadness phase. 

 

« Eunha don’t you understand that it is not good for human beings to touch each others? » 

 

« I don’t see why we couldn’t. »

 

« To protect humanity from viruses. » 

 

« We are both clean so there is no issue. »

 

« There is always a risk and we can’t bear any. Now, why is it so hard for you to listen? »

 

« I don’t know … I am not that clingy usually, it is you. I can’t help it. » - You announced as you lifted up your eyes. 

 

It was my turn to be shocked. I really didn’t know what to say nor do. And I was really scared because a part of me was believing you. 

 

You were still sat on the chair while I was standing far away from you.

 

« Alright don’t worry … we will work together on it so that you get rid of that bad habit. » - I tried to reassure you but it sounded more as if I was trying to reassure myself. 

 

Gosh … why did I sound so unprofessional and unsure. You really managed to get me weak. It was ridiculous. Who are you Eunha? Why was I asking that? You were a goddamn Hugfreak and the key to my promotion. I can’t fail. I never had. Not now. Why now? 

 

« Yuju are you alright? » - You asked me as I was lost in my thoughts.

« Yes I am … alright let’s begin the practice for your final evaluation. You will be put in a simulation  of various scenarios during which you will be forbidden to touch anyone. That’s it … you don’t touch you win. You touch you fail. » - I explained to you the evaluation process. 

 

We both sat on the connected chair and I gave you a virtual reality headset. We wore it in silence. With my eyes now covered, I pressed the button and the simulation started. 

 

Each scenario was different and depended on the person. Yet, out of all the scenarios I have seen yours was the most intriguing. 

We both ended up in a bedroom and I was amazed by the furniture. It screamed ancient times and by that I meant beginning of the twenty-first century. The time during which touching was still allowed but also a dark period in terms of pandemic. Both were correlated after all - or that’s what what I have been taught at least. 

 

You seemed more at ease than me as you sat on that bed and looked at me with worried eyes.

 

« Is everything ok? »

 

« Yes … alright so normally the scenario should change on its own when you succeed. » - I informed you.

 

« What should I do? » 

 

« You shouldn’t touch anyone. »

 

« There is only you here. » - You rightly pinpointed.

 

«  Which is really surprising as usually there are many people and the scenario is more challenging than just an empty bedroom. » - I chuckled nervously. Honestly I feared the simulation software was broken or that I pushed the wrong button. Little did I know at this point that I was completely mistaken. 

 

« Is that really how you cure people like me? » - Your tone wasn’t mocking although I could have interpreted that way especially in the confused state that I was. 

 

« It should work. It always did so … it can only be you … I guess you really don’t want to be cured hence y

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter