Khorasan - 2jung

Endless Playlist Stories
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Yerin P.O.V. 

 

I was just a mercenary. I didn’t have any favorite side. I had always chosen the one who offered me the highest pay. For money, I was willing to steal, destroy and kill no matter whether it was right or wrong.

 

The Color world which was once unified against the other antics civilizations was now divided in two: The red empire against the blue one. Every city had to choose a side and now two army were fighting each others to take control of the cities that have chosen the other color. And then, there was me: Jung Yerin a mercenary surviving thanks to the division. Then one day, I was invited by the Blue Emperor who requested my mercenary talents. 

 

I arrived at the capital. The architecture of the city was similar to an other civilization: the greek world. In fact, the temple were holding thanks to pillar. The house colors were white and of course blue. This Mediterranean resemblance made the city really charming. The fresh air thanks to the ocean proximity made the atmosphere enjoyable. The big palm trees were rising high in the starry sky.

 

I was invited to the banquet. However, I had to make sure of something beforehand. Indeed, terrifying rumors were speaking about a cult at the heart of the Color world division. This cult called Khorasan was according to some the cause of the division. The person at its head was the most powerful person of the Color World controlling both side. At first, I thought that this gossip was just one of the countless myths about the Color World. As it happens that the citizens were very religious and believed in many things. Then, I met one of the cultists and I immediately realized that the gossips were true. Before killing the cultist in question, I managed to get one information about their chief: the cult chief is lying. That wasn’t really helpful but I knew that If I kill other cultists, I will get more information to finally identify their chief. Anyway I made a promise to myself which was to kill every member of the Khorasan Cult.


I was heading to the banquet when I caught size of a huge statue: the blue emperor was clearly seen as a half-god. However, no human was ever seen as a full divinity. No one except a woman deemed as the most beautiful in the Color World. People were sure that she was a goddess even though only a lucky few have seen her face. Of course, only heroes or half-gods could marry such a woman and indeed, it was no wonder her husband was the emperor himself. Now that I think about it, having a woman this respectfed by his side was ensuring the population loyalty to him. In my case, I wasn’t that gullible or desperate: goddesses, half-gods didn’t exist - there were only humans. 

 

Anyway, I arrived at the banquet and for once I wasn’t wearing any armor nor weapons on me. Instead, a traditional tunic - just like any rich female citizen - was covering my body. I looked at my reflexion in the mirror and found myself pretty. Full of confidence, I then headed to the inner courtyard. The perfume scent of the roses was embellishing the place. An intoxicating smell of liquor was also omnipresent in the air. Black candles on walls and tables were lightning the place. In the middle of the courtyard, there was a small pool of crystalline water now dark because of the night. The moonlight was reflecting in it. The amount of greenery was such that one could mistakely believe to be in the middle of nature. Yet, the imposing white pillars supporting the edge of the blue roof were still pretty noticeable. I looked at the tables spaced out. Abundant supply of succulent food were displayed in a royal way. It represented a good sample of pretty much everything the empire had in terms of culinary arts. 

I then paid attention to the people present. They were probably philosophers, artists, savants, politicians and soldiers. But in my eyes, they were just women and men.  Among them, I still manage to spot the Emperor. I approached him:

 

« Emperor »

 

« Oh Yerin, I am glad you came. Please serve yourself a drink and eat some foods. Then, come to my office I will wait for you there. »

 

I nodded. After all who would refuse free and delicious foods and drinks. I managed to engage in  discussions with some people. I could tell right away that they were from the high - very high - society. I would even depict them as people very closed to the Emperor: his right hand men and women. I knew I had to be careful with my words. I couldn’t tackle the Khorasan cult issue. I am very wary I mean who knows maybe one of them is part of it?

I then joined the Emperor in his office as ordered. He spoke about the war and some key people he would like to eliminate. However, he never spoke about the Khorasan Cult and I immediately realized that it was because he didn’t know about it. As a consequence, there was someone more powerful than him and sadly he wasn’t even aware of it. I couldn’t understand how someone as high in the society as him couldn’t be informed about such serious issue. Anyway I accepted all his request. Then, he gently reminded me to have fun at the banquet and eat and drink however I wanted. I don’t know if it was his wise age but he was really nice and fatherly. I thanked him for his hospitality. Actualy I wasn’t planning on staying too long. I didn’t really know those other people and staying there would only make me undercover. I mean I was sure that the Khorasan Cult was aware of what I did to one of their members. I was surely a target now. I was praying for the food and drink not to be poisoned. What striked me the most was that everyone was drinking and having fun. No one looked suspicious anymore. Quite the opposite, the majority was drunk. I looked at the stars in the sky and for a moment I forgot about the noisy conversations. I felt at peace. After all I’ve deserved a break from everything. I closed my eyes and breathed the fresh air. Then suddenly I reopened them when I noticed that the brouhaha has stopped. Silence was reigning. I realized what was the cause of it when I finally caught sight of a woman at the top of the stairs. She was wearing a navy blue tunic trimmed with gold decorations. Her black hair was sparkling thanks to the moonlight. She was taking each step downstairs with such grace. Her gold bracelets around her wrists were moving to the same rhythm. When she was close enough for us to clearly see her face I became stunned. She scanned the full room with her sharp & deep black eyes and what astounded me was the mischievous slight grin that crooked on her lips. And I didn’t mean it in a bad way  - no she rather was like a smart cat. Her eyes had that malicious sparkle. For once, I called into question my opinion: people were right, she really was a goddess.
Her scanning eyes stopped right on me and suddenly her crafty expression turned into a genuinely warm smile.

 

« Oh you must be Yerin. » - She accosted me and I unconsciously bowed to her. « I am Eunha. » 

 

« I know. » - I blunted out and I felt like a fool. « I mean you’re very popular I would even say sacred. »

 

« The Color citizens and their beliefs will always amaze me. It is an honor but I don’t think I am worth any myth or legend. I am only a human and a woman. » 

 

Her words were very wise despite her young look. It got me very curious about her. I mean she was married to the Emperor - not a very young man anymore. Her voice sounded like honey and I didn’t mean to sound this cheesy. It was truth - the mere truth. However, regardless of whether she was against her public image, I couldn’t help but fell for the illusion myth. For me, she was clearly more than just a human. I have never met someone with such an intriguing-but-appealing aura and trust me I have met lots of people. Without doing it on purpose, I voiced out my thoughts:

 

« For once, I agree with the folks belief. » 

 

After my statements, the eyelids of her piercing eyes got bigger as her eyebrows slightly raised for a second. At that very moment, I saw an hypnotizing-almost-seductive spark in her eyes and her pink lips parted slightly. Her intense stare was making me feel countless sensations within myself. It was almost terrifying the power she held on me and I presume just anyone’s eyes that would meet her gaze. 

 

« I am flattered to be the reason of your change of belief. My ideas are akin to yours though. Beliefs can be dangerous when they make people blindly follow them - when they drive people to forget rationality at the expense of atrocious emotion impulses. » - Her tone was unexpectedly very serious. I would have merely described her as wise if I hadn’t caught a glimpse of sadness in

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter