Dancing - UmB

Endless Playlist Stories
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I did not forget about the WonB and Wonrin oneshots. In the meantime, this one is the traditionnal UmB Christmas story. Enjoy! 

 

Umji P.O.V.

 

 

Dancing, that has always been my life or rather our lives.

 

I still remember the day I discovered this now passion of mine for the first time. It was during primary school. My mom didn't want only me to be the model student that I already was back then. She wanted me to express some art and creativity on top of moving my lazy self. What other activity could have the perfect mix as Dancing?

 

The thing is that there were other students who have been Dancing for years. Someone in particular even learned it before talking. And although I was kinda envious and maybe jealous of the skills - I couldn't help that instant admiration I had for you as soon as I laid eyes on you Hwang Eunbi.

 

"I prefer SinB as a stage name." - That was the first thing you said to me and I was already speechless.

 

Then I started laughing and it was your turn to be speechless. You were more angry than confused though. Whatever that expression on your face, either way it was cute. You really embodied Youth itself. Indeed, you had that innocent energy on top of the fierce thirst for life and its challenges. That is something that will remain peculiar to you like a special tattoo.

 

"Are you mocking me ??? …" - You were looking for a name but that moment of silence didn't last long before you resumed: "... Umji"

 

I could not comprehend why you suddenly said that.

 

"My name is Kim Yewon." - I corrected you but you evilly smirked before explaining yourself:

 

"I don't care. You are Umji now."

 

"I can choose my stage name myself" - For a moment I got scared you were judging my Dancing skills. I was just a beginner after all so I hoped you would have at least mercy. "Why Umji?"

 

I dared ask you while hiding my fear of the response you were going to deliver soon. To my surprise, you weren't mean - just innocently and overly childish.

 

"Because you seem as dumb as a thumb" - You retorted and I was relieved for a second.

 

You couldn't be more wrong but I would prefer that over what I had in mind. Although you were kinda annoying sometimes or rather most of the times, those Wednesday afternoons were the best times in the week. Not sure if it was Dancing or your presence that made me enjoy those moments. Despite our young ages we were taking the competition very seriously. To be honest I wasn't really a competitive person. You made me like this. I would never admit but I was kinda mimicking you at that time. You were an ordinary girl but when you were Dancing, you were so cool and awesome.

 

I was so happy when we ended up in the same class in primary school. You - on the contrary - acted all grumpy like an old grandpa. It felt like you were avoiding me. To be honest, I really wanted to be your friend - not just a dance mate.

 

One day I overheard our teacher talking to you:

 

"Eunbi, your mom just called. She will pick you up late today."

 

Your eyes darkened but at the same time you remained emotionless. It was like you were used to it and I hated it.

 

So when my mom came to pick me up I convinced her that we would stay a little bit. Just so that you wouldn’t be alone. I mean the teacher was nice but I felt like having someone your age as a company would make you feel better.

 

"Eunbi Eunbi!!! My mom agreed that I stay with you!!!" - I announced too cheerfully.

 

You were eyeing me weirdly but I couldn't read your eyes.

 

"Why?" - You suddenly asked and it was my turn to be speechless.

 

Of course I didn't realize back then but you were actually kind of a lonely wolf. Classmates would want to play with you but you would easily give up after some minutes returning to minding your own business. The others would give up quickly too - but I definitely wasn't like the others.

 

"Because it is sad playing alone." - I innocently answered.

 

"I wasn't going to anyway. I am just waiting."

 

"It is boring to wait and do nothing. Look, we have the playground for ourselves!"

 

I didn't give you many options as I took your wrist and dragged you to the toboggan. Although you were cold at the beginning, you then let your childish side take over.

 

Time flew until our moms went looking for us. They got along so well that they decided to do some activities together and invite each other's daughter.

Well to be honest, your parents were so busy that you would be the one coming over most of the time.

 

Slowly the ice around you melted down and the inner child reigned. And that was how I realized how uniquely funny you were.

 

I remember one day we were playing in the snow during a cold December:

 

"SinB, what's your dream?" - I asked out of the blue with both our backs on the white and comfy garden floor and eyes facing the grayish sky.

 

"To dance in a Christmas castle with a … prince"

 

It wasn't your last hesitation but word that took me aback. I felt weird as if I didn't or couldn't portray that.

 

"And you, what's your dream?"

 

"To dance in the Christmas Castle too."

 

I didn't know why I said the same thing. And I was waiting for you to mock me because of that. Yet, you asked the unfathomable question instead:

 

"With who?"

 

My mind went blank. I had a clear image of the person. And I wasn't sure why I could really portray the scenery.

 

"My prince … of course" - My cheeks reddened as my mind was still trapped in my imagination … my fairytale.

 

I could feel eyes on me. So I turned towards you on my left side. Your gaze was so emotionless but so intense at the same time. It gave me shivers and brought me back to reality.

 

"You sound like you have someone in mind - don't you?" - You broke the tense silence.

 

My mind went blank again. Was I that obvious? Yet I was so ashamed as my fairytale was so ridiculous.

 

"I don’t." - I lied.

 

You didn't believe me and I could see you were kinda hurt because I wasn’t willing to share with you. But to be fair, you never told me who you had in mind either. I mean we were both convinced in our heads that you had no one yet to fill the prince character. So, it was ok if I kept mine as a secret somehow.

 

This childish experience wasn't just a detail. It then triggered a series of misunderstandings. Ever since, you have never been as honest with me as before.

 

Middle school came and many things changed. We were growing up together but more and more people were entering our lives as the years passed. A gap formed too between our two personalities. You were that mysterious Tsundere - somehow tomboy - person while I embodied almost all the clichés of the graceful and warm model student. Our energy and aura were so different - yet, one thing was keeping our friendship together like glue: Dancing.

 

Dancing has become so important in my life but at the same time I could never dissociate it from you.

While for you, Dancing was your life regardless of what and who were linked to it.

 

We have had different dance teachers throughout the years and they were always impressed by how fast and natural learning choreographies was for you.

 

"Let’s make duos for the year end festival." - The teacher announced.

 

You and I were used to festivals. The scale and importance, however, were getting bigger each year.

 

What never changed though was how everyone wanted to team up with you. Yet, you would never hesitate and needless were words as you would walk towards me each time. And as you got closer my smile grew with each step. I don’t know why I was always shyly smiling when the same situation would occur each year. My heart was beating fast though and I was thanking the hard training for covering my blushing cheeks.

 

"SinB you know if you want to team up with someone better than me, you can." - I once blurted out and I immediately had regret. I felt stupid to offer you a way out from me when all I wanted was just the opposite.

 

"There is no one better than you Umji …" - To say I was flabbergasted would be the bare minimum. I also lost myself in your dark irises. I just loved the youthful and innocent sparkle in them. It made your eyes shine like the Moon in the Night. It attuned and sweetened the contrast between your eyes, the black of your hair and your fair skin. I wasn’t paying attention to what on my face you were looking at. I was about to find out but your eyes quickly found mine:

 

"Well except me of course." - You added to relieve the tension with the most emotionless yet convincing tone. I laughed as a result but it was also a way for me to calm myself.

 

What you said was only the truth but there was a sad reality behind your tone. You were never satisfied with yourself. The only moment you were praising yourself was as a joke. And sadly I failed to give you the support at the right moment.

 

While you, you were always there for me. My lack of confidence was a secret to no one.

The bullies knew it and that's why being the model student I was, I suffered a lot.

 

I remember the day they tried to steal my project.

 

"Common Yewon share, it is bad anyway." - They tried to convince me and I know it sounds silly but my low confidence enabled them to get through to me.

 

Tears at the edge of my eyes. I almost handed them the precious paper on which I have spent hours. It only took a firm but gentle hand around my wrist to make me freeze.

 

The bullies were surprised in front of so much strength and power. While I was just mesmerized by the owner of that soft skin against mine. Your entrance was so glorious, badass and cool. I felt like I was in a movie and this got me soft.

 

"Why would you want something bad?"- You suddenly asked the bullies. Your emotionless but yet somehow aggressive tone scared them.

 

They were speechless and you unknowingly tighten the grip on my wrist. It was slightly painful but I was more focused on how angry you were getting. So I got in front of you to interfere with whatever murder scenario you were planning in your head.

 

"It is ok SinB. Let them be."

 

"No it is not, Yewon." - The fact that you used my real name reinforced how serious you were.

 

So it was my turn to grab your wrist and pull you far from them. You still managed to threaten them beforehand:

 

"If you bother her again, it's not only your grade that will get bad. Mark my words."

 

I pulled you to an empty stairs in a school area very little frequented by the other students.

 

"Thank you SinB. However please be careful as such threats could backfire. You could get expelled or something."

 

You didn't say anything as you knew I was somehow right. Teachers were wary of you and mistook you for a bad person. All due to your emotionless attitude and cold aura. Few people could read you and that explained a lot about your lone wolf status. Even myself I was sometimes struggling at that but I would never give up. I knew that inside this carapace, the softest and nicest heart was reigning.

 

You were lost in your thoughts and I couldn’t read you anymore. So I did what was natural for me at that moment: I hugged you. There was no response from you but somehow you softened up. The moment of warmth was enough for me. Needless were the words when I knew I somehow managed to comfort and thank you in that way.

 

As years passed I grew more confident but yours actually went down. And you were so good at hiding it.

 

High School marked a big change and I could say it was the end of the innocent and peaceful childhood. The dance level was way higher now. You remained an excellent dancer but you weren't the only one anymore. Other girls with different Dancing styles were silently fighting to become the Dancing queen. Even with all this temptation, our duo survived.

High School is also the door to our dream: the Christmas Castle that only required us to find our princes. And we were offered multiple occasions: all those group projects, the school events, the parties, etc.


They were difficult for me when you weren't there. I was always wondering what you were doing during those events and who you were meeting. I wasn’t sure how to explain it. Maybe I just wasn’t used to being without each other. Maybe it was another thing.

 

All it took to become convinced of certain things was someone.

 

“Hello I am Aly.” - A girl once introduced herself to us or rather to you.

 

It wasn't the first time that I was seeing her. She was among the best new dancers that we got to discover thanks to High School. She is also rumored to be the school director’s daughter.

 

It is weird saying it like this but Aly stuck with us ever since. What was a duo became a trio and I hated it. Don’t get me wrong - we once got to team up with a handsome male dancer for a competition. The skinships and such didn't bother me at all. Not sure why it was different with Aly … oh actually I think I know … yes I know:

“Eunbi you dance so well that I can’t get my eyes off of you.”

“Eunbi since we are in the same class and I am pretty sure that's fate, would you mind if we get together in all our group projects.”


And I know how you hated being called Eunbi.

 

“Yeah but Eunbi is cuter so I will use that.” - That was her response when I kindly pinpointed it.

 

I was such a fool because I couldn’t see the truth. I was too blind by … my jealousy. Yes because I was trying hard to put a word on the situation and how I felt towards it.

 

Strangely I witnessed myself stepping back.

 

“Oh hello Yewon, it is strange seeing you without Eunbi.” - A male classmate asked at one of the two parties happening at the same time on a Saturday night.

 

“She went to the other party … with Aly.”

 

“Oh Aly the hot and popular girl … impressive.” - He commented and I rolled my eyes.

 

This party was boring to be honest. It seems all the fun was happening where you were. So I decided to secretly join you. That decision changed everything.

Indeed as soon as I entered the place, my eyes caught you. You were Dancing a little bit too carelessly to be sober. Aly was there too - a little bit too close to you. Strangely you didn’t seem aware of it and that explained why you were allowing it. I got reassured … wait. Why did I feel fear in the first place?


As soon as Aly eclipsed herself to get to the bathroom, I grabbed your wrist stopping your body from the trapping trance.

 

I pulled you outside of the party. Your eyes were so lost and empty that I got worried:

 

“SinB, what substance did you eat or drink?”

 

I got no reaction from you.

 

“SinB, look at me.” - I sternly said with a mix of angry and worried tone in my voice.

 

You eventually managed to find my eyes. I could feel you struggling to keep your eyes open.

 

“You are high, aren’t you?” - I would have never imagined that. Yet, you seemed preoccupied by another thing.

 

“Umji … I … “ - Whatever you were trying to express, it was hard to let it out. You were in high distress but your conditions got better which was all the more strange. When you finally got back to your mind, I saw hesitation and sadness in your eyes.

 

“Sorry Umji I got to.” - You said again and as you did you closed the contact between our lips.

 

I was shocked and that caused me to step back, breaking the kiss I didn’t even have time to process yet.

 

“What was that for?” - I sounded angry but I actually wasn’t. To be fair, nothing made sense and even if this definitely triggered something within me, the confusion was too big.

 

“I am sorry … I stole your first kiss but I had to have mine.”

 

“Are you serious? Or is the substance acting on your behalf?” - You weren't responding to my questions and it made me lose patience.

 

“I … I gotta go. Forget about it.”

 

Unbelievable … I was speechless but I followed you as you headed back to the dance floor.


Aly immediately lashes her invading hands on you and I couldn’t bear the view anymore. I left the party.

 

Once in my bed, I found myself touching my lips while rewinding our kiss. Those strange feelings reappeared - ones that I never managed to name. I suddenly regretted that I let you in that party on your own - especially with Aly. It was clear that she had feelings for you and I hated it. That kiss, however I loved it. And I found myself wanting more of your presence. I was now craving a kiss again. I didn't care that you never asked for my permission. Those hands on Aly’s body, I wanted them on mine.

 

I closed my eyes and a strange symphony appeared in my head depicting the scene I was powerlessly witnessing:

 

“I see you Dancing, Dancing in my head with her.

But it is in my head, not real, it is in my head

I see you kissing kissing on the neck of her

But it is in my head, not real, it is in my head.”


I woke up from the nightmare. Yes it was a nightmare to see you dance with her so close while I am supposed to be the one. Why was I so sure now? Why was it crystal clear now? Why only now while we had all those years together?

 

Why do I feel like you are cheating on me when we have never been together in that way in the first place?

 

Is it me, my own enemy? Cause I believe these fantasies Playing out like movies.

 

I have never been yours and you have never been mine. That was the harsh reality.

 

On the next day, I couldn’t even approach you. I felt like you couldn’t either although you were stealing glances at me a few times. When I finally managed to get my composure to give you a talk, Aly came. She just stole my last hope as I saw her kiss you. You were taken aback as well. I was frozen to see that but pretty much everyone around in the school corridor was.

 

“Oh Umji, you are here.” - Aly spoke. “As our fr

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter