iii Chapter 6: (2016) Happy Together

No Longer a Coward

…12.30.2016

“They really wanted to meet you please follow me.” 

Daniel followed the agent from his locker room towards a VIP lounge located in the Arena. He had been told several VIP clients had wanted to meet him in person. He didn’t even have time to see Jiyeon off, his agent excitedly rushing him to get changed.

He quickly showered and threw on a T-shirt and pair of jeans before entering one of the VIP viewing rooms. Rich investors? 

He had no clue who was this important that he needed to meet them like this. 

Immediately, he was caught off guard by the presence of the guests.

“Wow, you’re very tall.” A deep voice remarked from inside the room.

Daniel stared in awe at the three young men, sharply dressed.

They were all handsome idols in their late 20s. Daniel recognized them immediately as three members of the renowned group Big Bang. 

T.O.P, Taeyang, and Seungri. 

“Nice to meet you.” Daniel bowed at the presence of the prestigious idols.

“No the pleasure is ours. Please speak comfortably.” Seungri said warmly.

He exuded a friendly charisma that Daniel felt like his close friend Jay had. A charming personality that could make anyone feel at ease.

“We’ve been watching ever since you came to Korea and we are really big fans of yours.” Taeyang revealed to Daniel's awe. 

It was strange seeing someone whose posters were once plastered all over his sister’s room. 

Daniel nodded at the compliment, awkwardly.

“We used to play basketball when we were bored on tour, and now I feel like I don’t even know how to play when I started watching you.” TOP joked pretending to shoot the ball. 

They all laughed as the mood lightened.

“Actually, I wanted to exchange contact information with you, because as Korea’s biggest rising star I would love to meet sometime.” Seungri handed his phone and a large smile appeared on his face beckoning for Daniel to take it.

“The pleasure is mine.” Daniel replied as he finished entering in his number.

These men were Korea’s pride and joy in the early 2010s. It seemed insane that they were talking so casually to him. Even his mom loved seeing them on TV. 

“You should try his Ramen it’s the best.” Taeyang added as Seungri nodded.

“I’ll give you a free meal if you come. If you a bring a date, even better.” 

Daniel chuckled at his tease. 

“He’s at the age isn’t he? Successful and handsome.” TOP commented. “Be sure to date a lot now and have regrets after.”

“Ya! Don’t give him bad advice.” Taeyang scolded the taller man.

The door swung open, bringing Daniel's attention to the door. To his suprise Jiyeon walked in. 

“You called for me sunbae?” Jiyeon asked bowing as soon as she entered. She hadn’t looked up to see him there.

Daniel immediately looked away surprised to see his girlfriend there. 

He had seen her watching during the game, but he figured she had left with her manager after it ended.

Why was she here?

Not that he minded... they hadn't planned on meeting up tonight. So he'd take any chance to see her.

“Yes, I know you’ve worked together for filming, but I’m sure you’re not that close with her.” Seungri assumed quite ironically.

He beckoned for Jiyeon to join them, urging her towards the center of the room. 

She carefully met Daniel’s eyes. Clearly uncomfortable by the whole situation.

He was speechless at first unsure of how to appropriately react. 

“Yes. We’re just acquaintances.” Daniel decided on. “I don’t know her too well.”

He glanced and noticed Jiyeon nodding along to his statement. 

“That’s no good, Jiyeon-ah is a treasured Hoobae of mine. You guys should get to know each other better.” He placed his arm around her shoulder and Daniel tensed slightly. 

It was mostly jealousy, seeing her next to another handsome man. He knew he'd have to get used to it.

“She’s a total knockout am I right?” His question forcing an uncomfortable nod from Daniel.

They all laughed together as Daniel noticed Jiyeon was blushing. It gave him slightly more confidence in front of such important people.

“Yes, actually I have some business to attend to but let’s keep in contact I’ll get your contact information from Seungri.” TOP explained shaking hands before exiting the room. 

“Me as well, it’s a pleasure, and great to see you as well Jiyeon-si.” Taeyang did the same as he seemed to have to take a call.  

It left the awkward couple alone with Seungri. He had a wide grin on his face. It brought a sense of ease to Daniel.

Though that didn't show on Jiyeon's expression. 

“Actually, I wanted to talk connections with you Daniel. I noticed that you seem close with that Model… what was her name? Lee Chaeun.” He inquired.

“Can you possibly introduce me to her? I have some close friends who are quite interested in meeting her, they’re all directors.”

While it was true that Daniel had her number in his phone. They had certainly talked on multiple occasions with their coupled photoshoots and all.

But he wasn’t that close to her anymore. Mostly intentional, he purposely distanced himself from her despite her friendly advances towards him because of Jiyeon.

“Well, I can ask her, but I’m sure it’ll be fine. I’ll let her know you asked.” Daniel phrased his words carefully as his eyes glanced towards Jiyeon several times. 

She seemed tense and he couldn’t blame her.

“Really?” An excited Seungri exclaimed patting him on the shoulder. “I just think that she’d be a perfect candidate for this job opportunity.”

Daniel nodded again rubbing his nape sheepishly.

“Anyways let’s keep in touch ok?” Seungri commented nudging him once more on the shoulder as he started to leave the room.

Was he this comfortable with everyone he met? 

“You too Jiyeon we should meet up sometime soon. Also both of you should come again to our New Years party! It’s being moved to Korean New Years so that everyone can make it!"

He then pointed towards Jiyeon. 

“You’re always a big hit there. Can’t wait to see you there. I know there's plenty of people who'd love to see you again. With you being in China and all recently.”

Jiyeon flashed a fake smile as she nodded towards him. 

“I’ll try sunbae-nim.” He could see her biting her lip as she forced the words out.

“Ok. I’ll text you the details for it. I’m sure idols will be happy to meet up with you Daniel.” Seungri praised him.

The door swung shut leaving them together.

There was silence for a breif second, the secret lovers left to themselves.

Daniel turned towards Jiyeon unsure of what reaction he would see.

She looked wary. Uncomfortable. Hesitent.

He hated seeing it. 

“I really haven’t talked to her in a long time. We don’t even text.” He was desperate to fix the situation. Immediately if he could.

“I know, I’m not mad about that. It’s just that…” Jiyeon seemed to ponder something. 

“What?” Daniel wondered.

“Seungri sunbae is known for sometimes being too friendly and treating people nicely for his own reasons. Just be careful oppa.” She voiced her concern.

He seemed fine, like a good person. Daniel didn’t really understand her point.

But nevertheless Daniel nodded. He took her hand in his and assured her he would listen.

“I’ll be careful. But in return promise me this. Promise me you won't to go to that party I don’t know if I could handle seeing other idols flirting with you. Please.” He proposed pulling her closer to him his arms quickly encircling her waist.

Jiyeon nodded, naturally resting her head against him. Her fresh scent permeating his senses. Citrus, lavender, and Jiyeon. What was better?

“I promise. I never enjoyed going anyways I just always followed my unnies cause I was bored.” Jiyeon assured him. 

A minute later he heard a knock on the door. It was Jooyoung. 

Daniel quickly released her as both of their managers entered into the room.

“We need to go for your press conference.” Mike called impatiently from behind him. 

“Ah. Yes, it was great meeting you again.” Daniel coughed and switched his voice quickly to a much more formal tone.

“Yes.” Jiyeon replied meekly. “Great meeting you like this.”

… 1.5.2017

Koreaboo: Daniel Choi makes an appearance on 'Let’s Eat Dinner Together’

January 5th, 2017

If you haven’t already seen the YouTube clip. Which is unlikely, considering 4 million people have.

On yesterday’s episode of Let’s Eat Dinner together. Basketball star Daniel Choi made a small appearance on the episode, if you didn’t watch it live here’s a small recap. 

While walking towards their destination, in Mapo-gu, the three cast members, Kang Hodong, Lee Kyungkyu, and Kim Sejeong (Gugudan, IOI) ran into Daniel Choi. 

Dressed handsomely in a light grey trench-coat over a sweater with a wool scarf over, he revealed he had actually purchased coffee for the freezing idol. 

There was an obvious blush on her face as she received it, and the hosts invited him on the show.

Despite not appearing officially, this is technically his first appearance on a variety show, and I hope there’s more.

What are your thoughts on Daniel’s first cameo appearance on a Variety show?

////////////////

Top Comments:

“I was totally not expecting it, but it’s the reason I ended up watching after!”

“The YouTube clip brought me here, I thought it was a little suspicious at first, why he appeared out of nowhere with two coffee cups. But he’s so thoughtful of his ‘Hoobae’ Sejeong. I know he’s busy with being an athlete, so I’ll wait for the summer!” 

“I think he’s so suited for these kind of shows where he can interact with his fans, his charm and all. I hope he comes on either this show or another one! Daniel fighting!” 

… 1.12.2017

[Broadcast] 

“Happy to be together on Happy Together!” Famous Host Yoo Jaesuk announced as the 5 main hosts all sat on the two sofas, set in the ‘fake’ living room.

They all applauded in unison as the show began.

“Myeongsoo?” Jaesuk turned to the older man wearing a curly haired wig and baggy grandmother’s clothing.

“Yes?” Myeongsoo replied.

“Do you know what the names Athena, Samshin, and Jungyi all have in common?” He asked as all the hosts stared in confusion.

“They’re all drama characters?” Myeongsoo replied as everyone laughed.

“No, they’re all goddesses! They’re all goddesses. Today on Happy Together we have Goddess Edition!” Yoo Jaesuk announced.

(Audience cheer)

“Wow Hyunmoo looks so happy now.” Myeongsoo joked as the other blushing host couldn’t hide a grin.

They all stood up to applaud as Yoo Jae Suk began announcing the guests.

“First Goddess please enter.” All applauded as Twice’s Tzuyu entered first in a pretty pink blouse with a denim skirt.

“Twice’s Tzuyu!” Hyunmoo cried excitedly as the young idol blushed shyly and took a seat.

“Next up second Goddess please enter.” Jaesuk announced and a tall beautiful young woman wearing a white and blue one piece cheer dress entered. 

Park Giryang, a famous Lotte Giants cheerleader.

“Ahhh Park Kiryang.” Myeongsoo commented. “I’ve seen her at the Lotte Giant games before.”

“Next goddess please enter.” They continued the applause as another beautiful idol T-ara’s Park Jiyeon. She wore am oversized v-neck white sweater and a navy blue skirt. 

“Jiyeon-si! It’s been a while.” Myeongsoo joked.

She smiled at him and bowed towards the cast members before sitting down.

“And our final goddess please enter!” The final goddess appeared and a beautiful actress named Kim So Eun. 

“You were on Boys Over Flowers!” Hyunmoo cried excitedly.

“Wow I don’t think I’ve ever seen him smile this much before.” Yoo Jaesuk joked as they all sat down as the four goddesses sat on the couch facing them.

“Actually the youngest members here Jiyeon-si and Tzuyu-si have been here before, but this is So Eun and Kiryang’s first times.” Um HyunKyung revealed from across the room.

“Yes. I am actually so happy to be here today.” Kim Soeun answered cheerfully. 

“So today we have 4 beautiful woman here today, so it makes me nervous what we might talk about.” Hyunmoo joked.

“Hey what about me? Huh?” Hyungkyung, the pretty female host retorted.

“You’re just a hostess not a goddess.” Hyunmoo teased.

(Laugh track)

“Actually the full topic name for this week is International fame Goddesses.” Everyone nodded as Hyunmoo stared at them.

“Aren’t they all Korean though besides Tzuyu-ah?” Myeongsoo asked chuckling. “How is it international?”

“Well, Jiyeon-si is very well known for working in China and Japan, So Eun-si’s international fame has led her to do some modeling in Vietnam and the Philippines. Tzuyu has a large Taiwanese and Chinese fanbase, and Park Giryang attracted interest from America and even performed at a an MLB game in New York.” Yoo Jae Suk answered.

The girls all agreed with his comments.

“Yes, I remember reading an article for Jiyeon’s heavy fandom in Japan especially.” Hyunkyung said. “Can you tell us more about how you gained such a large following internationally?”

“Actually, at first, I didn’t like going overseas because I don’t really like to go on planes. But I loved the way that the fans made me feel there, and slowly I began to like learning new languages.” Jiyeon responded.

“I actually have started learning 3 new languages pretty well over the past few years.” She held up three fingers.

(Amazement)

“Wow! So you’re pretty and smart. Kind of like me!” Hyunmoo flirted as everyone laughed. 

“But I’m not very good with any of them, actually I’m sure Tzuyu is much more proficient because she is from overseas and had to learn the language here.” Jiyeon passed onto Tzuyu who nodded hesitantly.

“Yes, I was pretty nervous because it was hard to learn a new language, but my members helped me a lot.” Tzuyu explained.

Everyone nodded.

“I couldn’t help but notice you said 3 new languages what other languages besides Japanese and Mandarin did you learn?” Myeongsoo asked returning the subject to Jiyeon. 

“English.” 

There seemed to be confusion on the faces of the MCs.

“I’m interested why you wanted to learn that?” Hyunkyung inquired.

“Well I had an interest in Basketball so I wanted to be able to follow along. But there was not many articles about it in Korean.” Jiyeon revealed. "So in order to read more back then, I wanted to learn english."

“AHHH! You are a fan of Choi Daniel isn’t that right? You’re the spokeswoman I saw the articles.” Yoo Jae Suk suddenly exclaimed recalling something.

“That’s right she was famous for wearing the jersey even before he was very popular.” Hyunmoo added.

Myeongsoo as a joke suddenly stood up and pretended to bite onto his female shirt lifting it up and everyone started laughing. Jiyeon was seen clasping trying to contain her laugh.

(Laugh Track combined with photo of Daniel revealing his lower abdomen)

“Let’s never see that again.” Hyunmoo scolded Myeongsoo.

“Wow you must be a real fan if you’re laughing this hard like this.” Jaesuk teased Jiyeon.

“Actually on that note, Kiryang-si you’re a famous baseball cheerleader but you also do some cheerleading for basketball isn’t that right?” He asked moving the show along.

“Yes. Ulsan’s Phoebus team.” Kiryang replied before chuckling. 

“Actually I was on the team that won the championship three times in a row, but back then very few people watched it. Now everyone is watching, but I feel like I chose the wrong team.” She confessed.

They all chuckled at her comment.

“But at least you must have a lot of fans whenever the SK Knights play.” Hyunmoo commented as everyone stared at her.

“Yes, but I feel like everyone is booing me whenever I step to cheer my team on.” She joked.

(Laugh Track)

“Actually Tzuyu and her members performed at a game not long ago isn’t that right? The performance began trending online afterwards.” Jaesuk inquired.

“Yes, I saw Jiyeon sunbae there as well. Because she is the... uh spokes person.” Tzuyu replied slowly as Jiyeon smiled at her.

“That time I saw Tzuyu for the first time so close, and I thought she was so pretty.” Jiyeon chimed in quickly.

"And now?" Myungsoo teased noticing her small mistake.

"Ah, I thought to myself now I understand why Twice kept beating us during competition shows." Jiyeon wittingly responded.

(Laugh track)

“I see it seems like Basketball is actually becoming the topic of this show now.” Hyunmoo joked.

“I think were discluding Soeun-si so let’s include her in our new topic. As we have asked many times on this show before. Heungmin or Daniel?” Yoo Jaesuk asked holding up his hand beckoning for a quick response.

“Heungmin oppa.” She replied smiling.

The camera zoomed out of her shot and a definite scowl could be seen on the other three girls faces. She blushed as she looked around, before exploding in laughter.

“Wow! Did you see Tzuyu’s face!” They all began to crack up as they stared at the usually calm and composed girl had a definite frown.

“Ahhh that’s because... um... Choi Daniel Sunbae is very important to us, because we are going to film a CF with him soon.” Tzuyu tried to defend herself. 

“And Jiyeon’s face was clearly upset too.” Hyunmoo teased as Jiyeon blushed in embarrassment. “She’s turning red.”

Jiyeon tried to waive off their teasing.

“Well she works with him as the spokesperson so of course she would be close with him. Right Jiyeon-si?” Hyunkyung defended her. 

Jiyeon smiled at the other female MC's defense.

“Ahhh, yes I saw the CF with the two of you.” Myeongsoo replied going more onto the subject. 

“Yes… that’s right.” Jiyeon answered as she nodded her head. “We are kind of close now.”

“Wow lucky, I really wanted to meet him to be honest.” Kiryang suddenly commented.

“Ah, yes actually I could see you would look good with him, because he is very tall.” Jaesuk added pointing out the height of the tall cheerleader.  

“Jiyeon-si are you close enough to call Daniel? I’m sure we’d all love to say hello.” Everyone nodded in agreement at a now flustered Jiyeon.

Immediately Kiryang put her hands on Jiyeon’s arm as she made an adorable face. 

“Wow, look at this she really wants to say hello to him!” Myeongsoo teased as the others started laughing. 

“Even Soeun-si who chose Heungmin looks interested.” Hyunmoo added.

“Actually… a lot of idols have his number because he is… very friendly, I’m sure Tzuyu-si has his number as well.” Jiyeon tried to switch the focus.

“Are you saying he’s a player?” Hyunkyung joked as everyone began laughing besides Jiyeon who remained red.

“No, no I just mean he’s very nice to everyone.” Jiyeon justified.

“Ahhh, I see do you have his contact information Tzuyu-si?” Jaesuk inquired of the Taiwanese idol.

 The young idol shook her head as all eyes ran back to Jiyeon.

“Actually I can call him then… he might be busy though.” She mumbled still embarrassed by the turn of events.

Jiyeon appeared to take out her phone and text something.

“Are you texting him? Don’t do that. Just call him and we can see how close he is to you.” Myeongsoo argued as Jiyeon winced at his statement.

“Ya, calm down, calm down Myeongsoo.” Jaesuk replied as he patted the other host on the back. “But please call him for us if you can Jiyeon-ah.”

The phone now on speaker mode began to dial as within about 30 seconds the phone picked up.

“Wow that was fast.” Hyunkyung commented smiling. 

“He must not be busy.” Hyunmoo argued.

Hello? Jiyeon-si?” It was clearly the star athletes voice over the phone.

(Audience Awe)

A giant grin appeared on all the young women’s faces as Hyunkyung lept off her sofa and rushed over to the other couch to hear more clearly.

"Ya, look at Hyunkyung, she's never this excited." Hyunmoo teased.

“Oh hello Daniel-si.” Jiyeon replied then held it out for the others to hear. “We are calling from Happy Together right now.”

“Oh Hello. I’m a big fan of the show.” Daniel commented in a bright voice from over the phone. 

“Really? You always refuse to come on the show.” Myeongsoo teased as everyone laughed.

Oh sorry. I don’t recall getting an invitation I’ll have to speak to my agent about that.” He joked back. 

“Actually we wanted to call you right now because we have a huge fan of yours on the show.” Jaesuk took over.

Oh really?”

“Yes.” Kiryang replied, she brushed her hair behind her ears as the other girls formed large smiles. “I’m a cheerleader for Mobis Phoebus do you know me?”

Wait, I know… hold on Park… Ki…Yong?”

Everyone laughed as they heard it except for Kiryang who remained blushing.

“Ryang. Park Kiryang."

Oh sorry. My Korean is still improving. haha. Sorry.”  

“Is it ok if you have a small conversation? She’s a big fan of yours.” Jaesuk inquired.

There was a second of silence on the phone before he responded.

“Hello Kiryang-si.”

(Audience fawn)

“Hello.” The cheerleader was clearly blushing as she answered. The editors even adding red blush onto her cheeks.

“Thanks for always cheering and supporting me!” 

“Yes.” Kiryang responded nervously.

But…” 

There was a slight pause as everyone wondered what he’d say.

“I hope you start cheering for SK Knights soon. Because most of the time you're cheering for the other side.” 

Everyone broke out laughing at his witty comment as Kiryang hid her face in her hands in embarrassment.

“Sorry.” 

“Ah, my bad I was kidding. Don’t apologize. But really, thanks for being my fan.” 

“Ah, he was joking. He was joking.” Myeongsoo pointed out.

Actually we have another big fan of yours can you guess?” Jaesuk continued on with the conversation.

“Sunbae hello.” Tzuyu greeted in slightly shaky Korean. An angelic halo placed around her.

oh… I know… hold on… Twice!”  The voice quickly exclaimed.

“Yes. That’s correct.” Tzuyu responded.

“Zoe. Zuwy, Tzuyu!” 

(Audience Applause)

Everyone applauded as Tzuyu thanked him.

"Actually Tzuyu-si was wondering can you tell us who your favorite Twice member is?" Hyunmoo inquired of the star athelete. 

The pretty idol quickly shook her head and started waiving her arms cutely in a flustered motion.

"No, No."

“Ahh... actually I have to finish my practice or my coach will get mad." The star replied playfully changing the subject.

(Audience Laugh)

"Are you trying to avoid the question?" Myeongsoo teased. "Don't worry, it'll only be an issue of national debate." 

(Audience laugh).

"I don't know about that, but honestly I'm a huge fan of Twice. I'm looking forward to filming a CF with you later.”  The voice answered in a smooth way. Revealing a content smile on the idol's face.

Yes, thanks so much for answering the call. Please come on the show sometime. Or any other shows that feature me in it.” Jaesuk added in shamelessly advertising.

“Ah, yes. Actually I really want to be on the one where men walk quickly.” The celebrity made a pun.

The blurred out logo of Running Man is placed in the subtitles.

“Very clever. We can’t mention that show right now. But we should try and work something out.” Jaesuk responded smiling to the reference to the well known variety show.

“Hey, that's enough of that! Look the PD-nim is already frowning.” Myeongsoo scolded him.

"Wow as usual Yoo Jaesuk only cares about one of his shows." Hyunmoo teased.

“Anyways thanks for calling in Daniel-si.” Jaesuk continued ignoring his other MCs. 

“Of course.” The call ended and everyone returned to their seats. 

“Wow, Jiyeon you might’ve just increased our ratings 2 percent!” Hyunmoo joked as he gave her two thumbs up.

(Laugh track)

Jiyeon chuckled as she nodded before putting her phone away.

The show continued with more stories featuring Soeun and Tzuyu talking about themselves. Even giving Jiyeon and Tzuyu opportunities to promote their most recent songs with dance performances. 

“Actually we are almost out of time, but we’d like to thank all four of you for making time to come on the show.” Jaesuk replied as they all bowed.

“To be honest I wasn’t sure how it would go because Jiyeon-si and Tzuyu-si are both the quiet pretty types, and I’m more of an expressive type so when I was in the back I was worried I might talk too much. But I’m glad to have met everyone.” Soeun responded as everyone smiled at her.

“Well tune in next week for another…” Jaesuk began the ending.

“HAPPY TOGETHER!” Everyone said together as they all cheered.