ii Chapter 8: (2016)

No Longer a Coward

… 6.2.2016

“And smile. Good. Good.” 

The photographer requested as Daniel stood in a studio holding a basketball. Beside him was the cheerleader Lee Chaeeun. The pretty girl held her pompoms in her hands and gave a grave expression as he stared confidently at the camera. 

“Very good, can we get the model's arms around him.” 

Daniel stared at the photographer for a second in disbelief. This wasn’t part of the planned shoot. This was supposed to be promoting the new Jersey for Adidas. Not a couple shoot.

Immediately two stage managers appeared and one ruffled up his hair as the other untucked his jersey slightly, the stagers also took the pompoms from her and asked Chaeeun to undo her pony tail. 

She quickly obliged and ruffled her hair slightly as well pulling part behind her ears to reveal her attractive neckline.

“Now grab onto him.” Chaeeun grabbed his jersey pulling herself close to him. 

“Good! good.” 

“Can we have you drape your arms on her shoulders. Just like that.” 

He rested his arms on her shoulders. Finding the couple action, strangely easy to do, despite never modeling before.

“And look… Good. good! Please bring one of her dress straps down to her shoulder.” 

Daniel gulped. He glanced nervously at Jenny who was standing in the darkness. 

He wanted to whisper for help. But there were so many people counting on the success of this photoshoot. It was impossible to not listen to the photographer’s orders.

Then there was the beautiful girl in front of him. Chaeeun stared seductively into his eyes. He didn’t look away this time. He just wanted to get this over with. 

Daniel followed the instructions and brought one strap of her cheer outfit down from her shoulder so that it rested against her upper arm. Her whole collarbone now completely exposed. 

He brushed her hair back behind with one hand, as he had done when he dated so often. She was blushing, it was kinda cute.

“Very good. Very good. Now just tilt your chin up slightly, and model please go at his neck.” Chaeeun brought her lips devastatingly close to his neck as if to leave a hickey.

“Perfect, very good. And cut. Good work everyone!” The photographer exclaimed as the lights dimmed and both models breathed out a sigh of relief. 

“Good work today oppa.” Chaeeun told him cutely despite being his noona technically.

He nodded sheepishly. She was quickly wrapped around by a blanket by her manager, and left to go change.

She was pretty, not quite his type, well to be exact no one was his type, besides Jiyeon. 

But he had made the initial mistake of hugging her, not realizing it would cause a whole story. He had made the mistake of getting caught in the moment. But in the end he had improved someone’s life, so it shouldn’t be a bad thing.

He then noticed the director of the shoot standing beside a monitor going through the pictures. Slightly upset by the sudden change in style he approached him.

“Excuse me, I wasn’t aware the shoot was going to get so…” Daniel thought of a word for it. “Provocative.” 

The director nodded and smiled not noticing his hesitancy. 

“Yes we don’t state it, but successful Elle covers are steamy. People love you celebrities put in these positions.”

“Wouldn’t this be bad for my brand?” Daniel questioned, trying to hide that he was indeed upset. 

What if Jiyeon saw this?

“How so? Fans love your appearance, you get to show how attractive you could look with them, and the model just amplifies your own attractiveness.” The director explained. 

“Trust me, this will be a huge success.”

He was about to continue probing when he was interrupted.

“Daniel oppa.” He turned and saw his sister in a cute denim jacket holding up two iced coffees. Daniel dropped his conversation and walked over to her.

“Don’t tell Mom and Dad they’re going to freak out.” Daniel begged his innocent sister. He couldn’t imagine how his mother would react. She had hated all of his past girlfriends, and had an extremely conservative mindset. 

“They’re going to see it, when it releases.” She shrugged her shoulders.

“Besides, that’s a really pretty girl. And she was blushing so much when you…”

Daniel shushed her with his finger. Not wanting to hear what she was going to about.

“I know. Ok. I know.” He sighed. 

He walked over to the makeup artists where they removed everything and he quickly changed back into some regular clothes. Glancing back at the mirror behind him he had to admit, after working out so much and practicing so hard he had lost a lot of his original baby fat. He could now completely feel his abs through his shirt, he had also finally gotten rid of much of his acne from a dermatologist.

Korean doctors ended up being a step up from cureology.

Rejoining Jenny they both exited the photoshoot spot and out into the large MBC building. 

Daniel put on his black baseball cap as they headed towards the elevator. But upon arriving at the lobby, a large passing girl groups squealed in delight as he passed them. 

Bowing towards him and greeting him in their white and pink school uniform based outfits. A concept he found somewhat strange. He just bowed back as he noticed the total joy painted on his sisters face. Too stunned to respond.

“Hello Daniel Sunbae!” 

“Am I that noticeable?” He inquired as they walked away.

“You’re wearing a red hoodie that says SK Knights on it.” His sister . Daniel chuckled realizing she was right.

“Wow that was just I.O.I! Oh my god. Why didn’t I say hi? There was Chaeyeon, and Somi, and Chungha…” Jenny gushed full of awe and then regret. 

Daniel had no clue who those people were.

He wondered when it began, that he would just see and casually greet passing idol groups. He tried to keep up with as many as he could, knowing the knowledge might be important in the future, but there were so many. He figured he’d have to have his sister update him one of these days. 

“Let’s get something to eat I’m starving.” Daniel poked his sister snapping her from her trance. 

“Sure. Let’s go.” 

The two hopped into his car, happy at every opportunity to show off his newly gained Korean license to his sister.

At the push off his button the doors of his car swung up and the two climbed in. 

“Wow you really like to show off don’t you.” Jenny mumbled still annoyed at his teasing earlier.

“Says the girl driving a convertible.” He chides her as he starts the car. “My first car was nowhere near as nice.”

Jenny sighed as she lay back against the seat.

“That’s because they didn’t trust you with Jay and those guys around you. They thought you would go street racing at points.” 

The thought had come up in their friend group several times. Daniel remembered how many stupid and idiotic things he had done with them. Though looking back they had introduced him to freedom, something he had never really known.

They took off into the streets of Seoul, cruising around the crowded streets of Seoul’s nicer neighborhoods.

“Anything you’re craving?” He asked.

“Hmm…” His sister stared out the window a the streets full of nicely dressed people. Couples, friend groups, and work teams all roaming around.

 “A boyfriend?” She commented innocently.

Daniel rolled his eyes. He nudged her in the side.

“That means you don’t have one right now?” He questioned suspiciously.

“Yes oppa, I don’t have a boyfriend.” Jenny complained. 

“Come on, what do you want to eat?” He continued.

“Seolongtang?”

“Done.” Daniel knew a perfect restaurant. He had been exploring many of the smaller restaurants in Seoul, finding places where he could eat without being too noticed. 

But this was a place he had been to several times before. 

A place he had gone to with Jiyeon.

… 6.10.2016

KOREABOO: Daniel Choi stuns fans with seductive pose on cover of Elle alongside Model Lee Chaeeun.

The basketball idol, Daniel (Daehan) Choi, made his appearance on this months cover issue of ELLE. Revealing a very much attractive and manly side that is not visible from the charming and cute persona he has revealed so far. Daniel Choi gazes seductively into the camera as he holds Lee Chaeeun the model and cheerleader who he famously hugged from the iconic photo. Oh how I envy her, you can see it in her face how much in awe she is of him. 

Our fangirl hearts explode at the sight. Him wearing his ruffled up jersey and her in her cheerleader outfit, brings a bad boy vibe mixed with a high school romance story. If I hadn’t already bought two issues, I might’ve been worried about drooling on them.

Daniel Choi after recently winning the KBL championship and making the number 2 spot on Forbes Power Celeb rankings, seems to have the Midas touch. Everything he touches seems to go viral. This months ELLE magazine is currently sold out online and in most stores as fans flock to claim their issue. 

If it was just us fans who loved and supported him that would already catapult him to fame. But idols are always showing their support whether its instagram posts showing them in their new SK Knight’s red jerseys or even just in their street outfits, Daniel Choi’s Jersey has already made his appearance on several idols male and female, such as EXO, AOA, and even the upcoming JYP group Twice, all idol groups who have cheered him on before on Social Media. Fans speculate that his jersey might be the summer’s essential top to wear. 

Fans and idols are in love with Daniel Choi, what will be next for the young athlete? Daniel is scheduled to begin Youth camps late June and I imagine fans will flock to watch.

//////////

“My younger brother tried to get a spot in a camp, and I can confirm that the camps seriously sold out in a day. It’s a shame, but glad to see how popular he has become. It’s amazing.”

“If anyone knows where I can buy a SK knights jersey still, please help. They’re sold out everywhere online. I saw some ones being resold for up to 200,000 won online. CRAZY! I’m such a fan, but I can’t seem to buy one.”

“Oh my god I came after seeing Sana wearing his jersey and it looked so cute on her. I can’t help but wonder if he sent jerseys to many of the idols who have them. Because I swear it’s impossible to find them.”

… 6.16.2016 

SOOMPI: AOA Seolhyun has a cute one-sided crush on Basketball Idol revealed on Weekly IDOL

June 16th, 2016

On this weeks Weekly Idol AOA came on to promote their new album “Good Luck”. The broadcast though averaging a normal viewership, it was the YouTube clip highlighting a certain area of the broadcast that hit 12 millions views titled “AOA’s Seolhyun’s one sided love? Member’s spill. Is it Daniel Choi?”

During the recording Host’s Doni and Coni asked the members about the meaning of the song. Jimin the leader explained.

It’s telling the man who loves you, good luck, because you are caught in our love and will never be able to love another.”

Then the Doni went on to ask who each member was referring to. The girls immediately laughed, but Coni added in that it was obvious who Seolhyun was referring to. During the broadcast, Seolhyun wore a large red SK Knights jersey with a pair of white booty shorts. She looked stunning in it, but turned almost as red as the jersey when the Coni pointed towards the jersey. 

You appeared on the Idol Practice Camp together with him didn’t you?”

All the other members took the chance to and began talking about her one sided crush.

That’s right. She always followed his career after. She posts so much cheering him on in her SNS, more than even of her members.” Fellow member Yuna joked as everyone laughed but an embarrassed Seolhyun. 

Seolhyun tried to chuckle it off, but the host’s were not done

Doni asked if she saw the new Elle cover with him and Chaeeun.

Seolhyun nodded nervously. 

Isn’t she pretty?” Coni teased and Seolhyun dipped her head in embarrassment as they all laughed.

She refused to look at the cover when we tried to show it to her.” Member Mina teased. “For a while we were really worried she was really heartbroken.”

The hosts laughed again as they playfully comforted her saying it’s just for a photoshoot.

Daniel seems to be a trend right now, now AOA has been seen at there games is that right?”

The members all nodded as they gave a fighting cheer for the SK Knights.

Actually Seolhyun do you have his number?” Coni asks

“Ahhhh… yes.” Seolhyun nods.

Wow, then you’re already at step one.” Coni teases her again.

But… Daniel oppa, is very nice to many idols, so I’m sure he has many other idols who like him like me.” Seolhyun’s voice is serious as she says this. 

Who would’ve thought even Idols could have one sided loves. Though I would personally love the young athlete for myself, watching her sincerity towards him touched my heart. I hope they appear on a CF together and she can meet her crush again.

Are you shipping one of Korea’s top visuals and CF queens with the current star athlete?

//////////////////

Top Comments:

“I agree I want our oppa to ourselves, but they would be a cute pairing as well especially for a CF. I know he’s already done one with Suzy, but I think the visuals of these two would be better together. As always Daniel oppa fighting!”

“Omg she’s so pretty, I never in a million years would think she would develop a crush I guess it shows idols are just like us. Cheering for them as I think they’d be the visual couple of the decade, maybe even over Kim Taehee and Rain.”

… 6.25.2016

Daniel stared at the long never ending rows of middle school kids as they dribbled in place the echoing sound of the basketball bouncing on the hardwood floor. Almost 200 kids were in front of him. 

This was his third camp, each about 4 hours in length.

“And switch hands.” He ordered into the microphone hooked up onto him.

Immediately the kids in front of him crossed the ball to their other hand and began dribbling. 

He leaped off the stage and began watching many of the kids seeing their progress and skills. Though many were clearly here without almost ever playing basketball. Several young boys and girls were clearly talented. 

When he had been given the opportunity to host a camp for the NBA World Organization, he was overjoyed to promote basketball in Korea. It was a passion of his, he wanted more Koreans to feel like they could pursue sports as a career.

Not even 5 years ago he had thought competitive sports for him was over with High School, and like all other Asian Americans would pursue success in business, or as a lawyer or a doctor. Now he was standing here a basketball star. The idol of many of those watching. 

It was a huge honor, he wanted more kids like him to pursue their passions.

“Ok for the next drill we’re going to do a hesitation and then a crossover.” He demonstrated the move twice for the kids, as it was also played on a large screen behind him.

The kids began to practice the move as his other assistant coaches walked around helping many of the kids who had very little experience with the sport.

That drill continued for another 5 minutes before he signaled to switch.

“Ok, now we’re going to do shooting. The assistant coaches will break you into groups and explain the drill.” Daniel announced, he walked to the back to get some water. They had to move their camps to indoor stadiums in order to keep order and not cause too much distractions for the campers.

Their last outdoor camp had been overrun by so many fans the campers could not focus. 

He walked over to his sister who was sitting by the water cooler and fanning herself off.

She handed him a cup as he sighed gulping down the water quickly.

“There’s 400 fans out there waiting for you out there.” She pointed to the exit of the gymnasium.

“I know… But you counted?” Daniel cracked a joke.

“Oppa, you’re not just a celebrity. You’re THE celebrity right now.” She continued. “I might have to start waiting in lines to just meet you soon.”

Daniel scoffed at the idea. 

“What do you mean, you’re already the bottom of my priorities.” He teased.

Then noticing the time he threw the paper cup into the trash. 

“Well better go finish the camp.” Daniel nodded as he went back to the court.

As the camp finished he began signing Jerseys and basketballs for a few lucky kids. 

He would’ve done more, but he had a busy schedule, he had a photoshoot later that night. There was a loud applause and cheer as he left. 

He exited out the gym doors and restrictive barriers had been put up by security to keep the fans at a distance.

“Omg I love you!”

“Oppa, I’m cheering for you!”

“I love you so much!”

“I love you Daniel!”

Daniel on one hand was thankful for all the young fans who often ranged anywhere form 14-20s. Smiling as best he could towards the fans, and waiving. 

But at the same time knew these were the same Netizens who dumped on Jiyeon’s career and constantly bullied and hated on her. It gave him mixed feelings about Korea’s fans. 

Suddenly out of nowhere a crazed young girl jumped over the barrier and rushed past the security to him. 

Even with his quick reactions, he couldn’t move as a young girl bulldozed through several men and straight towards him. He wondered if she was an athlete, because he almost jumped in fear at her rampage.

She threw her arms around Daniel’s body wrapping around him tightly and refused to let go. 

He had never had training for what to do in these situations… what should he do?

Daniel stood frozen as the crowd gasped, a moment of silence as the situation built up.

… 6.26.2016

KOREABOO: Super fan of Choi Daniel escapes barriers and hugs the basketball idol, how he handles it has fans swooning.

June 26th, 2016

Choi Daniel after finishing his third basketball camp was seen leaving the gymnasium to hundreds of fans just wishing to catch a glimpse of their handsome star. Safety barriers were put up by security to keep him safe, however one super fan jumped over and sped past security towards him. 

In a moment of confusion and horror his sister understandably tried to gently remove her from him.

When the situation seemed all but leading towards a violent end, Daniel suddenly halted the security around him. He leaned into her ear and whispered something. She slowly nodded and released him. 

She took out her phone and he used his long arms to take a photo with her and placed his other arm around her. 

She bowed in apology and he asked her not to do it again and pleaded with the fans to also be safe. He then whispered one more thing into her ears and she nodded. 

The fan, Song Uju who operated a fan account of his with over 15,000 followers on SNS later uploaded a post with him apologizing for her actions. The end of the long message gushing about his appearance and calmness though surprised many people as she posted #tarafighing at the end.

Fans wonder if that was part of his request from her. 

He has been known to have been a fan of the group for a while now, and seeing how their songs gave him the media coverage to eventually catapult him to fame makes sense. I couldn’t help but swoon over how calmly and nicely he handled the incident and many Netizens agree.

What are your thoughts on the incident?

//////////

Top Comments:

“I think it was an extremely irresponsible action to do, there’s a reason the barriers are set up, its for the safety of both sides. The security didn’t know if she might’ve had a knife. That said, loved how well Daniel oppa handled the situation, so manly and cute.” 

“Omg I know I shouldn’t, but I wish I was the girl. Also surprised to see the T-ara shoutout I kind of forgot they existed. I wonder if they disbanded. Nevertheless good move by our Daniel oppa.”

“I can’t believe that girl wasn’t punished. She could’ve hurt our Daehan oppa. But I loved the way he handled it, and I can’t ask for much more as a fan. Please fans be respectful towards people.”

… 7.3.2016

Daniel quickly scrolled through his Kakao talk, checking for one message in particular.

JOOYOUNG: she is being released from the hospital today.

DAEHAN: thank god.

DAEHAN:  please take care of her, and thank you for the update 

JOOYOUNG: of course to both, I’ll keep you updated

JOOYOUNG: are you sure you don’t want me to tell her though? 

DAEHAN: it’s fine, just please keep me updated

Daniel sighed as he placed his phone down on the makeshift makeup station in front of him.

“Everything ok?” His stylist asked as she applied a layer of foundation on his face.

“Yup, never better.” Daniel lied as he flashed a smile.

“You’re always so happy and charming, I wonder where your competitiveness comes from when you play basketball games.” His stylist remarked garnering a chuckle from him.

“I guess, I just motivate myself.” Daniel nodded his head as he continued staring at the mirror. Over his time in the industry, he had started to notice they needed less and less concealer. His skin becoming clearer after being engulfed in Korean skincare.

“Aigoo, you know you’re good looking don’t you.” His stylist chided him playfully.

“Not anywhere close to any idols,  haha.” 

“Let me tell you a secret, I’ve done makeup for some actors and idols. You’re just as good looking that must be why people like you.” Hearing her compliment was nice, a nice confidence booster as he hyped himself up for another commercial shoot. His third one.

When he was fully ready he walked onto the CF filming, across from him was 9Muses Kyungri reading her script on a chair that had been set up for her. He had met her once before and had found her quite attractive. 

She had a more mature and y vibe to her, a vibe that many had said would match his own. His sister had told him about how Kyungri had been to most of his games as well and decided he was quite thankful.

“Ready?” She suddenly interrupted his thoughts she was standing next to him now. The powerful smell of her perfume engulfing the air around him. 

“Ah Kyungri-si. Hello.” He bowed to her. He knew from his sister that she was about 3 years older than him and should show respect to her. 

“Please, be comfortable. I’m a huge fan of yours.” She was direct, he admired that. Her cat like eyes and innocent face contrasting with her elegant body. 

“Ahh, yes. Thanks.” Daniel nodded his head.

“Alright let’s begin filming!” The director called. 

As both of them turned towards the outdoor basketball court they were filming at. There were barriers set around the set because there was at least a hundred fans around watching, and several other watchers. 

“I’m kind of nervous actually.” Kyungri admitted. “I admire you, Daniel-si a lot that’s why.” 

Daniel would be lying if his heart didn’t flutter a little. He grinned as he walked over to the other supporting actors who were dressed in street clothes. 

Daniel felt like no one would’ve guessed that they were filming a lipstick commercial they were at a park of all places. But Koreans were just extremely creative at times. 

He shrugged off any doubt as he looked back at his sister who was cheering him on from the side.

… 7.6.2016

POV: commercial

6 guys were playing basketball. The shot zooms into Daniel Choi wearing a black tank top and blue sports shorts as he scores a basket effortlessly. The muscles around his arms are emphasized by the reflection of the sun.

“Oppa!” Kyungri appears wearing a white shirt and jeans. He runs over to her and too late she realizes he’s just grabbing water. She frowns. 

“What do you think?” She asks holding her hands up to make a V around her face.

“Be bold.” Daniel chuckles before he runs back to play with his teammates.

“Oppa!” Kyungri returns wearing a cute skirt and crop top. She makes a V. “What do you think?”

“Be bold.” He repeats again as he ignores her.

Kyungri sulks away and suddenly sees a lip stick on a poster with the words “BE BOLD”  under the ad.

“Oppa!” Kyungri appears this time wearing a black cocktail dress and bright pink lipstick. Shot changes to Daniels perspective and she walks in slow motion as her hair flips. Shot changes as Daniel drops the basketball.

“Be bold?” Kyungri asks as Daniel runs over and wraps his arms around her.

The scene turns black.

“ESTEE LAUDER Bold collection.”

“Be bold.”

… 7.10.2016

“Be bold.” Jenny was laughing as Daniel stared at the TV annoyed it had been the third time since they had started watching that the commercial had played. He hoped watchers wouldn’t be bored watching it repeatedly.

“Ya! I didn’t have a choice.” Daniel defended himself.

“Oh… maybe next time just stand up and ‘Be Bold’ to them.” Jenny kept teasing him as she began to pound the couch with her hands. Daniel rolled his eyes as he lay back on his seat. 

They kept watching a drama that was airing before Jenny finally posed another question.

“Aren’t you guest hosting for ‘The Countdown’ tomorrow?” She inquired.

“Yes. I already researched the groups that are going to be there. I’m hosting alongside Shinee’s Key.” 

“Ahh, I see.” She responded seeming to ponder something.

“What?” He begged her to respond. 

“Oppa, how many idols are you going to flirt with?” She suddenly questioned. 

“I mean, I know you love Jiyeon-si, but every time I see you with other idols I think fans start creating new ships for you.” 

Daniel nodded his head. 

She was right, he hadn’t been pursuing his real feelings. Because, he knew that she wasn’t in a good place, she had been rushed to the hospital and was suffering from depression. 

He wanted to help her, but what could he do? 

She clearly had no more feelings towards him, so he would just do what he could from a distance.

“I have a plan.” Daniel revealed. “I just need to keep climbing.”

If it meant flirting with some idols to gain popularity he would do it, he wanted to be in a position to make a difference. One where he could protect her.