iii Chapter 12: (2017)

No Longer a Coward

...3.1.2017

Korea Today: Basketball Idol Daniel Choi releases apology addressing breakdown, donates for Mental Health care for Youth

March 1st 2017

Yesterday, Daniel Choi of the SK Knights released a statement addressing his sudden response to a reporters question:

"I haven't been myself lately and I apologize. I have felt a lot of stress lately and its definitely weighed on me these past few days. As someone others look up to, I'm ashamed of my reaction that night. I'm sorry to all of my fans and to that reporter. I know Mental Health is something that is looked down upon in Asia, but I hope that this will change soon." 

Though the amount has not been given, many speculate the amount to be close to 200 million won.

Many netizens praised the basketball idol for speaking up about his mental state and making a difference. Your thoughts?

////////////

Top Comments:

"I'm once again impressed by Daniel's sincerity in this situation, don't worry everyone gets frustrated. Supporting you always <3!"

"I can't believe he has to apologize to these blood thirsty reporters, they were practically hounding him. Stay Strong Daniel oppa!"

"I'm so proud of our Daniel for his ability to change. I hope he takes some time off to rest

… 3.2.2017

SOOMPI: MBK releases statement regarding pushed back solo comeback for Jiyeon. T-ara will release final album in May 2017 with T-ara's Boram and Soyeon deciding to terminate their contracts early.

March 2nd, 2017

After the end of T-ara’s Bullying scandal, T-ara’s Jiyeon has still pushed back her comeback as the group prepares to make their final comeback as the six member group. T-ara’s Soyeon and Boram will be terminating their contracts early, and the other four members will continue to fulfill their contracts until the end of December of 2017. MBK has given their statements on the matter citing that the situation is subject to change.

Both members Boram and Soyeon wish to longer be idols after an 8 year long career and 4 year training period before. We wish to fulfill their wishes as best as possible as we are thankful for all the handwork they have put into their careers and T-ara.”

The other four members have also shown their support for the two departing members wishing them happiness and one final good comeback.

We are unsurprised that after spending almost 5 years enduring a brutal bullying scandal and being forced to work overseas most of the time that members feel a sense of relief and likely wish to end their careers on a happier note. This of course comes after CEO of MBK released his own statement of apology.

I would like to apologize for my actions and inability to handle the situation with T-ara. I believed that the best course of action for T-ara at the time was to simply ignore the scandal as not to give it any attention hoping it would die down. The fact is, I was wrong and the fandom and group suffered greatly. I apologize to both T-ara and their loyal fans and hope to continue to grow the group in the future.”

After 8 years I can’t help but think this marks the end of Kpop’s biggest could’ve been Girl group. At the height of their popularity the scandal broke out and plummeted their fame in Korea. With strong visuals and incredibly catchy dances and songs T-ara might’ve even surpassed SNSD in Korea. However, that will be always be a what-if. 

I’m glad that everything has worked out in the end. It’s sad to say goodbye to one of my favorites and can’t wait for their final may comeback.

Your thoughts on T-ara making their final debut? 

////////////////////

Top Comments:

“I’m so sad to see them leave. T-ara was such an iconic name in the Kpop industry. I hope they comeback to the industry later, and it really is such a shame that their primes were ruined because of a stupid scandal. Wishing them luck in life and I’ll be sure to tune in.”

“I’m pretty new to girl groups, but after rewatching their iconic songs. It really is such a shame. I wish I had seen more of them live. They were all so charming and their dances were cute and y. I’ll be watching their final comeback for sure!” 

“I can’t believe it’s really going to end. T-ara has always been one of my favorite girl groups because of their y and girlish concept. I hate to see them leave especially when the scandal finally ended.”

… 3.12.2017

Korea Sports: Daniel Choi loses 3rd game for the whole season as SK Knights fall to Anyang KGC. SK Knights remain at the top of standings with 46-3 record with Basketball Idol averaging 35 points and 10 assists first time in history of KBL.

… 3.20.2017

“Goodbye Unnie.” Jiyeon hugged Boram tight, a goodbye to her fellow member.

After much consideration both Boram and Soyeon had decided not to participate in the next comeback. 

Even if Jiyeon was happy for them, it was still heartbreaking... They had both meant a lot to her as her members, close friends, and even sisters. She knew this was just the beginning though. Soon they would all eventually part ways

“Goodbye Jiyeon-a.” Boram whispered as she pulled away.

Next was Soyeon who wrapped her in a large bear hug.

“Make sure Daniel-si takes good care of you ok?” Soyeon ordered. 

Jiyeon nodded putting on a grin.

“Or else we’ll both really comeback to kill him. Take care Maknae.” Boram added jokingly.

It was hard to stay strong in front of them.

"Ya! Don't cry you crybaby." Soyeon scolded her. Soyeon's own voice clearly trembling.

Jiyeon kept her smile, waving at them as they entered the taxi.

They would both be leaving the city after living in Seoul for almost 12 years. Soyeon to her hometown of Andong and Boram joining her there as well.

Jiyeon finally released the tears as she watched the yellow car drive away.

She hated seeing them leave. But also felt relief as well. After all the struggles, they had finally felt comfortable leaving the industry.

They felt like they could leave with their heads held high and how could Jiyeon blame them?

“Goodbye.” Jiyeon mumbled as she felt a comforting arm on her shoulder. It was Qri unnie.

“It’s ok Jiyeon. They wanted to live comfortably again. Ok? Don’t think this has anything to do with you. That would be selfish.” Her leader comforted her as Jiyeon began to let her tears rush out.

“Qri… they don’t regret it do they? Taking my side?” Jiyeon questioned pitying them so much.

“Jiyeon, no one regrets standing up for you. What Hwayoung did and said was wrong ok? And now she's paying for it. So don’t worry about them. They really are going to be happy now.” Qri told her sternly. 

Jiyeon nodded as she buried her head in Qri’s shoulder. 

“Now let’s have a good comeback ok? For them.” Qri finished as Jiyeon could only agree. 

… 3.26.2017

Daniel dangled the leather skinned ball loosely in his hands as he watched the timer countdown.

3 seconds

He sighed as a gland of sweat dripped from his face onto his jersey.

2 seconds

He stared at Jiyeon who sat courtside with an excited grin on her face. 

1 second

He raised his head toward the massive crowd all gathered at the stadium.

Fans were chanting his name and he could see cutouts with him on it. 

Everyone stood as the timer ticked down to signal the end of the game. The last game of the regular season. 

“SK Knights win 111-98 over KT thunder!” The announcer announced. 

The fans exploded in cheers.

Daniel watched as his teammate Eric ran over to him. Eric placed Daniel in a headlock and began rubbing his head as he cheered.

“We did it, we beat the record!” Eric exclaimed excitedly bouncing up and down.

It was true the record they had set last season of 50 wins had been beaten by this game. They had ended 51-3, a brand new record.

His teammates were celebrating on the bench as Daniel could only smile. Although he didn't express it, he was overjoyed by the accomplishment. 

“Daniel! Daniel! Daniel!” The crowd’s voices echoed through the entire stadium.

This wasn’t even a playoff game, but the celebration was this big. Daniel found himself looking to Jiyeon, she had joined in the celebrations, excitedly hugging her manager who was beside her.

Daniel wished he could rush over and hug her. But seeing her bright smile was enough for now. 

“Good game.”

He turned to see Minkyu, the player he had once humiliated. The player stuck out his hand.

"You gained my respect." Minkyu announced.

Daniel took it and shook the Number 15’s hand. Sportsmanship was important to him.

Daniel was led to the tunnel as he prepared for another press conference.

… 3.27.2017

KOREABOO: Basketball Idol makes history… again

After a strong start to their season Basketball Idol Daniel Choi continued his dominance, he averaged a high of 35 points and 10 assists. Not only that, but he led his team to an even better season than the previous record setting season. This time winning 51 games of 54. 

Idols and celebrities alike took to Social Media to congratulate the now established star.

Twice the most popular girl group in Korea posted a congratulating picture with all their members watching on the TV wishing him luck, and congratulating him on #51wins. Monsta X posted a picture of them all wearing SK Knights Jerseys as they posed in front of the TV with the same #51. Other posts included Got7 Jackson, several BTOB members, Girls Day Hyeri and Yura, and WJSN.  

Celebrities IU and Yoo Inna were actually seen at the final game, supporting not only the basketball idol in their post but the Spokesperson T-ara’s Jiyeon on social media. Many others were in attendance as well.

Daniel Choi after dominating the KBL once again was asked about his long term plans including rejoining the NBA in which he answered.

Obviously playing in the NBA has always been a dream of mine. But right now I am where I feel most loved. Fans here have shown so much support for me and I’m really thankful. If the opportunity presents itself I’ll think about it then, but for now I plan on winning a championship.”

His answer seemed perfect as Netizens took to social media to congratulate him on his continued success. 

[+34,987 -401] He’s here. Daniel Choi is here and he’s not going to be backing down any time soon. Let’s support our oppa to win another championship.

I don’t think there is any better way to phrase it. Daniel Choi is positioned to win his second championship.

What are your hopes for him in the future?

///////////////////

Top Comments:

“I literally can’t express how proud of our Daniel oppa I am. He’s seriously so cool and I can’t wait to watch more games. I literally love basketball because of him. Fighting Daniel!”

“I can still remember when he first came to Seoul, I went to the airport to greet him. Since then he’s become a total star and an idol even among idols. I love watching him, and hope he becomes an actor or something in the future.”

"Fighting from the Phillipines! Basketball is such a big deal here and Daniel is so handsome!" 

… 3.30.2017

Daniel swallowed nervously, as he cleared his throat. 

Red ginseng check. 

Expensive fruit check. 

Daniel ran through the internal checklist of things his parents had told him to remember. He had already gone over everything repeatedly during the drive here. During the 3 hour workout. During breakfast. 

He checked his reflection again on the fuzzy elevator. Checking that there wasn’t anything in his teeth. He smiled. He wore a cream colored turtleneck underneath a black blazer. He looked... presentable all things considered. No he looked pretty damn good.

He was just going to Jiyeon’s apartment. But at the same time he wasn't just going to Jiyeon's apartment.

He breathed out carefully staring as the numbers began to rise towards her floor.

Today, he was coming for dinner… to the Park family. Her brother, her mother and her father.

Daniel was terrified.

He knew they undoubtedly knew about their fight, probably knew they had taken a break because of him.

He had hurt their daughter… would they murder him on the spot? Roast him and eat him as an entree. It certainly wouldn't be unwarranted.

He began tapping against his side. The metal doors of the elevator slid open.

He took the first step out and noticed his legs were wobbling.

Breathe Daniel. You've met them before. At the hospital. They liked you. They liked you.

Daniel checked his phone one last time as he stood in the elevator lobby. He recounted over the steps again.

1. Greet her mother and father hand the Ginseng over

2. Introduce yourself, occupation, age, future plans

3. Have 5 things you like about her ready at all times

Daniel feeling slight reassured slowly knocked on her apartment door. 

He felt time slow down as he could hear the electronic latch slide open.

He was expecting Jiyeon.

It was her brother Hyojoon. He grinned at him.

When Daniel thought about it the brother did look quite similar to her. A similar cute smile. Not that her brother was cute, anyways...

"Come in." Hyojoon opened the door for him beckoning for him to enter.

Daniel quickly entered and noticed her mother and father standing near the door with bright smiles.

"Hello." He bowed deeply to her parents. 

"Yes, please come in, dinner is ready." Her mother answered.

They had warm expressions and for a second Daniel completely forgot all of his worries.

"Ya! Jiyeon hurry your slow up!" Her brother shouted down the hall towards her bedroom.

"Ya! I'm coming jerk!" Jiyeon shouted back from where Daniel assumed was her bathroom.

Daniel noticed the clear frowns that had appeared on both her parents as they watched the bickering.

"Your boyfriends here!" Her brother scowled. 

"What?" Jiyeon cried in realization.

There was the sound of a collision and then several things dropping. The slam of the door opening then closing as he heard Jiyeon race down the hall completely flustered.

Cute. Was all that Daniel could think hearing her.

It was different seeing this side of her. Seeing how similar their sibling relationship seemed to be compared to his own. 

She had never really talked about her brother.

But the moment he laid eyes on her. His thoughts emptied from his head.

She was stunning, she had changed into a simple navy mini dress. It was simple with a few ruffles yet the dress perfectly traced her waistline and curves. 

In makeup, her skin literally glowed contrasting perfectly with her red lips. There was no words that could express it.

Even after dating for 6 months Daniel still found himself completely in awe of her beauty.

"You look..." Daniel couldn't think of anything. "Really nice." 

"You can just say she's pretty." Her father .

He noticed her mother nudge her father's arm before turning towards him. "We're thankful you made the time to join us for dinner."

"No, i'm the one who's thankful." Daniel quickly answered. He felt Jiyeon's hand slide into his and he turned to see her standing beside him.

"Let's eat then, I'm starving." Hyojoon exclaimed heading towards the table.

Jiyeon glared at her brother and stuck out her tongue childishly before turning to smile at him.

Daniel remembered exactly where to sit. His mother drawing out a picture for him to learn from.

             Brother     Mother

Father (            Table          )

             Him            Jiyeon

Daniel stared at the food in front of him. It certainly looked as delicious as it smelled. Kimchi stew, grilled beef, and a variety of side dishes. Jiyeon had told him both her parents were great cooks. One of the reasons why Jiyeon had never felt the need to learn. 

"Thank you for the food." He expressed as he stared gratefully towards her mother.

"Oh no, her father cooked for us." Her mother clarified.

Daniel bit his tongue as he quickly turned to her father. He had an amused look on his face.

Dammit. He shouldn't have said anything.

He wondered if he had killed the mood because no one said anything. Everyone became immersed in the food in front of them. 

Daniel made a mental note that her family just like her, all ate very deliciously.

"So, hows your preparations for the upcoming playoff game?" Hyojoon inquired breaking the silence.

This was certainly not a question he had prepared for. Basketball related questions.

"Ya, oppa." Jiyeon complained lowering her voice. "Why would you ask that?" 

Daniel noticed that everyone had their eyes glued to her father. He sat at the head of the table the food still untouched in front of him.

His powerful presence alone completely intimidating the noramlly fearless athlete. 

What was he going to say? Was he going to explode on Daniel about their almost break up? If only he hadn't commented about the food. 

Daniel was panicking inside as he watched her father clearly pondering something. His chopsticks tapping against the bowl of rice in front of him.

"35 points." His father announced in a curious tone. "Even after watching years of basketball since before Seo Janghoon I don't remember anyone scoring that many points." 

Everyone was quiet after his statement. The rest of the family staring blankly towards him.

Was that a question? Or a praise? Daniel had no clue how to respond. 

"Thank you." Daniel settled on. 

"I'm so impressed everytime I watch you. You know? Really, how do you do it?" His father inquired in genuine curiousity.

Daniel still was completely caught off guard by his question.

"Um, well..." He realized that this was a question he actually felt quite comfortable answering.

"Actually, since I was in college. I've been very interested in Analytics. Anyways my coach in the NBA had all these ideas about how to minimize posession length in order to maximize amount of posessions. More fastbreaks, more 3 point shots, on some nights I can add at least 6 or 7 extra points from just..."

Daniel went on to explain how he had convinced his coach to allow him to use percentages and modern data skills to increase productivity. Jiyeon's father and brother listening and conversing with him in amazement. 

"See, this is why I wanted both of my children to be athletes!" Her father exclaimed after listening to him. "Your parents must be so proud."

Daniel felt a nudge on his thigh. He realized this was the first time he had glanced over to Jiyeon, so immersed in the conversation. 

Both Jiyeon and her mother stood completely lost listening to them. A clear frown on Jiyeon's face.

"Ya, Jiyeon didn't bring her boyfriend here so that you men obsess over sports the whole night." Jiyeon's mother scolded her father.

"Sorry." Daniel quickly whispered towards her, his hand reaching down and grabbing hers. 

He noticed the smile finally reappear on her face.

"So tell us what you plans are for the future." Jiyeon's mother finally asked. "I mean are you going to go back to play in America? Or are you planning to keep living here?"

Daniel glanced over towards Jiyeon who nodded reassuringly.

"I know this might sound uncertain, but I want to do whatever's best for her happiness. If its better for Jiyeon's career for me to stay here then I'd like to stay beside her. But if its better for our future for me to pursue opportunities elsewhere than I'll choose that." Daniel replied. 

The words came out by themselves. He had honestly prepared a different response before. But after talking comfortably with her bother and father. Daniel realized speaking sincerely was just easier. He wanted to show them his genuine feelings towards her.

Jiyeon's mother smiled and nodded.

"I like you." It came out of the blue once again.

Jiyeon's father staring directly towards him. This time with proud paternal eyes. 

"I like you a lot for her. I know that you've both been through some rough stretches and that's part of life. I knew that Jiyeon always spoke highly of you and cared sometimes too much about you. But seeing your sincerity, I can see that you care a lot about her. My Jiyeon-a, I give you permission to love her." Her father was staring directly towards him a proud smile.

Daniel stood up abruptly before bowing one again. "Thank you sir. I promise. I promise I'll make her happy."

"I know you will." Her brother chimed in this time. "Because if you hurt her again, my father will murder you." 

"YA!" Jiyeon argued with her brother. 

"What? I'm saying the truth." Hyojoon reasoned clearly provoking his sister.

Seconds later Daniel watched a full on war erupt between the siblings. Her mother and father now picking at their food in indifference. 

Daniel however, was grinning. He had gained her father's approval. This was a step in the right direction. He knew he had a long way to go before he could reach his end goal with her. But this was a start.

… 4.2.2017

“Daniel?” Jiyeon asked for the second time.

She glanced back at him in concern. She was seated on his lap, sitting by the edge of the Han River. His arms resting comfortably around her stomach. 

His normally attentive eyes had closed and she wondered if he had fallen asleep.

They had both just finished their long night practices.

Jiyeon finished after practicing with her remaining members and Daniel preparing for the playoff game with his team.

“oppaa…” She whined wiggling her body against his chest. They had only been there for about an hour, and he was already sleeping. 

“Just five minutes.” He whispered warmly.

Jiyeon froze the moment she felt his warm breath converge on her neck.

She laid her face against his shoulder. Some rest couldn't hurt.

Just to spite him, she wanted to stay awake. But his warm and gentle ambrace slowly lulled her eyes into the dream world.

Before she knew it she had out.

But only for a minute.

“Jiyeon.” She felt someone shake her shoulder and finally reopened her eyes.

He was chuckling in amusement. Why was he laughing? It was his fault for being such a comfortable bed.

“What? How long was I out for?” She asked self consciously.

“Like an hour.” He answered.

“Ya, oppa! Why didn’t you wake me?” She moped ashamed. 

“Cause you look so cute when you're sleeping.” He flirted.

Jiyeon didn't answer, but she felt her cheeks redden. 

“Should we get food?” He proposed noticing she was clearly satisfied by his statement.

“I’m on a diet. I can’t eat past 8pm… it’s already 1 am oppa.” Jiyeon reminded him.

Daniel readjusted his sitting position, pulling her back even closer into him.

“But you’re so slim already.” He complained pinching the small belly that had formed. “Let’s just eat a little.” 

“Oppa!" She exclaimed annoyed by his playfulness.

He released her and stood up behind her and reached out his hand for her to take. His warm eyes and goofy smile beckoning for her to accept.

“Let’s go.” 

Even if she complained and bickered at him. Whenever he would do that, she found herself helpless. She took his hand and they began to walk along the path hand in hand. 

“Where are we going?” She asked giggling, noticing they were not heading in the direction of the food stalls.

Instead were walking even farther away from the populated area. Perhaps he was tired.

“Trust me.” He answered instead.

Leading her for another five minutes until they found a small opening of grass.

She squinted as she noticed that a blanket and a small basket had already been set up there. 

“Surprise.” Daniel revealed turning around as she stared at him confused. “I prepared this beforehand."

They both sat down side by side on the blanket and he revealed tiny kimbap rolls. He gazed at her as she ate the small snack still confused what was going on.

What was he thinking about? 

“Jiyeon, I thought about this for a long time, but I want you to stay by my side.” He announced confidently.

Suddenly he reached into his pocket and revealed a small box. 

Jiyeon gasped. “Oppa.”

Her hand clamping over her agape mouth to prevent food from falling out.

“No, it’s not what you think.” He replied noticing her half horrified expression. 

"I'm not proposing." He assured her. 

Daniel opened the tiny black box revealing a beautiful necklace.

On the center of the small golden chain was a small tiara with a jewel in the center the letters JY inscribed on it.

“For my princess, a T-ara.” He explained as she grinned at his pun.

She almost slapped his shoulder him from embarrassment. But his warm gaze and loving expression prevented her. 

He removed it from the box and stood up as she watched him circle around behind her. He brushed his hands through her long hair lifting it up.

Jiyeon could feel the light metal chain brush against her neck as it rested against her skin. He clasped the two sides together and released her hair allowing it to freely fall against her back.

She stared down at the pretty necklace resting perfectly between her collarbones.

“Pretty.” She thanked him as she blushed furiously.

“It looks good.” He commented.

Ask anyone Jiyeon wasn't the expressive type. But everything about her seemed to be changing with him. She wanted to kiss him. She wanted him to know...

She crawled forward on the blanket towards him. She pressed her hands against his chest pushing him flat against the blanket. 

Hovering over him. Seeing his content expression, she couldn't contain herself. She placed her lips onto his. Enveloping his upper lip. 

She was tempted to close her eyes. But staring down at him. His gentle eyes gazing lovingly towards her. She couldn't.

“Thank you.” She kissed him again, but this time Daniel sliding his hand behind her nape and pulling her closer deepening the kiss. 

She fell once again hopelessly in love. Her passion being met by his own.

The stresses of the day slowly fading away replaced by happiness. That was what he could do to her. He could empty her thoughts and fill it only with love. 

“I love you.” He whispered in a deep voice.

“Me too."

… 4.11.2017

Korea Digest: MBK announces early departure of T-ara members Boram and Soyeon. Comeback with four members will be pushed back to June.

“I’m nervous. Unnie how did you do this?” Naeun wondered aloud about as excited as Naeun could get.

Jiyeon lead her through the tunnel and onto the court. The other team's players all shooting around as they prepared.

The game was about to begin, and the loud voices of 12,000 people could be heard from above them. The playoffs.

“Jooyoung couldn’t make it to this game. So I asked if it was ok if you came with me.” Jiyeon explained. 

“Thank you unnie!” Naeun exclaimed excitedly.

They both sat to the right side of the court while the player benches and Announcing booth stood on the left.

Jiyeon glanced around her noticing the other seats were already filled by wealthy fans and even some other high level celebrities.

Sitting here, usually wouldn’t be affordable for any normal idol. One of the things that made being a spokesperson so valuable.

“Wow I can’t wait unnie. My members are probably so jealous.” Naeun commented.

Jiyeon nodded glancing at her phone. 

The opening would begin soon.

Naeun wore a SK Knights Jersey paired with a white skirt. While Jiyeon wore denim shorts and one of Daniel’s hoodies, it was her own secretive way of supporting him.

She also felt proud to wear the necklace he had gifted her about a week ago.

“Unnie."

Jiyeon turned to face the idol she considered a younger sister.

"What’s it like? Being able to sit here for almost every home game?” Naeun inquired her cute eyes full of curiosity.

“Well… it’s cool to see the players up close.” Jiyeon admitted.

“Ahh I see. I bet seeing him is nice, huh?” 

“Well… you know.” Jiyeon wasn’t sure how to respond to that question.

Naeun while knew many things about her, Jiyeon’s relationship with Daniel was not one of them. Something that Jiyeon still was figuring out how to confess.

Ladies and Gentleman welcome to the KBL Semi Finals! The SK Knights against Ulsan’s Mobis Phoebus!”  The crowd roared at the opening.

The two teams who had played in the finals last year would face off.

Above them on the large display the promotional video that Daniel and Jiyeon had filmed about a week ago played.

Jiyeon, Chaeun, and another SK Cheerleader are seen playing basketball in a random park. Someone misses a shot and the ball rolls out of bounds. We see a hand grab it. It’s Ulsan’s Cheerleader Park Kiryang, behind her appears two other of Ulsan’s cheerleaders. 

They smile as the camera panned between the two cheerleaders intense glares. Kiryang throws a strong pass towards Chaeun who catches it. They begin to play 3 on 3 against each other. But as Jiyeon runs to the basket to make a layup the image shifts to Daniel making the layup in an earlier previous game. 

The image then shifts to Kiryang dribbling and making a cross over and the image fades quickly to a Mobis player replicating the same move during a live game. Kiryang is seen passing it to another cheerleader, and Chaeun is seen blocking the ball as it shifts to Eric blocking.

The screen fades too black.

“KBL semifinals beginning April 11th.”

The lights remained off as the promotional video ended.

Watching the edited version, Jiyeon cringed as she remembered how long it took to film the 6 girls trying to play basketball.

Jiyeon admittedly was pretty awful at the sport. 

However, the crowd cheered anyways and a spotlight was shown on the opposing team's bench. 

“Introducing Ulsan’s Mobis Phoebus.” The announcer called out the players names.

Suddenly the light dimmed again. SNSD’s the boys played as their classic introduction played. Daniel Choi and his teammates ran out onto the court after the iconic line.

“Bring the Boys out!” 

Jiyeon and Naeun stood up as the crowd noise got even louder.

“Introducing your very own Seoul SK Knights!” The announcer began to introduce each player before landing on the star.

“Starting at 188 cm Point Guard and reigning MVP Daniel Choi!” 

Jiyeon no matter how many times she saw it. She felt a rush of pride as Daniel high fived his teammates and ran onto the court.

The lights again as the players began warming up.

Jiyeon watched as Daniel sat in the center stretching something he seemed to do every game. 

He called it a ritual when she asked him about it. He said that similar to Korean’s superstitions, many basketball players thought if they did the same thing every game they could play well every game.

Suddenly his eyes met hers. He smiled as he stood up. She stared in horror as he came over.

“Jiyeon-si, you brought a guest?” He inquired as he looked over towards Naeun.

“Yes, my manager couldn’t come today, so I invited my friend.”

“Ahh, I see. Nice to meet you Naeun-si.” He extended his hand.

“Um… nice to meet you.” Naeun replied clearly in awe. 

“Anyways please cheer us on! And I really like your necklace Jiyeon-si.” He replied before winking at her.

Naeun gasped her eyes darting between the two. Before shaking Jiyeon's arms excitedly.

"I think he likes you unnie." Naeun whispered.

Jiyeon chuckled shrugging her shoulders in irony. "Me? No way."

...

Korea Today: Daniel Choi endorses Lotte World Tower Luxury apartments

April 12, 2017

While idols and Actors have become well known for endorsing luxury brand items or makeup. Korea’s number 1 hot topic, Daniel Choi has been revealed as the model for the Lotte World Tower Apartments. A feat no other Korean celebrity has been able to accomplish. With apartment prices starting at 5 billion won, it’s a wonder why such a young man would be selected.

Lotte Group revealed to the news the 24 year old celebrity had previously purchased real estate inside which has yet to be revealed. However, was the reason the conglomerate wished for him to endorse their apartment, emphasizing his growing popularity internationally, namely money markets such as China and India. 

Daniel Choi’s net worth has undoubtedly skyrocketed even off the court. However, the player's agency revealed that surprisingly Daniel will not be moving into the Lotte World Towers.

… 4.18.2017

Sports Korea: SK Knights defeat Mobis Phoebus in three games. Final game played on April 17th 108-88. Choi averages 37 points per game