ii Chapter 7: (2016)

No Longer a Coward

… 5.6.2016

Jiyeon wasn’t sure how to react as she read the 6th article about the event. No one could escape it, it was everywhere, on billboards, on the news, articles, all over SNS. It was like a popular candidate had just won the presidency the way people were reacting. 

It was a nice diversion for her, but it didn’t last. 

She couldn’t sleep most nights. She felt very little motivation as MBK continued to push back any hopes of a comeback or even a drama role. 

Her CEO as usual had assured her that this would end soon. Told her that it would all blow past and before she knew it, she would be back to her old self.

But it had been 5 months, 5 months of telling herself she would get another chance. When was it time to accept reality?

She sometimes forget she was an Idol… so she would go back and read anything about herself. 

That was a mistake of course, all she could find was about her dating life, or her scandals. Jiyeon had disappeared. She felt like she was just a way for netizens to vent out their frustrations. If another idol had a backlash it was, she was just a reference. 

Reading negative comment after hateful comment would drive anyone insane. How did all these people actually write such horrible things about her?

You’re a has been. You’ll always be Bully Jiyeon.

As much as she tried to block it out, they would ring in her head. The small bits of truth blowing up her conscience. Her self hatred growing as left alone, she began to wonder if they were all right.

You’re never going to escape this scandal. Give up being an idol. No one likes a bully.

“You’re wrong. You’re wrong.” She was talking to herself again.

Pills. They were the only thing that helped her. The orange bottle… it calmed her down most nights enough to try and sleep.

But a week ago they stopped working. 

Two were recommended… but if she just took one or two more… maybe just maybe she could sleep again.

You’re the reason T-ara is failing. It’s because of that bully Jiyeon that everyone suffers. 

It’s your fault Dani didn’t debut.

“Shut up!” She screamed, despite knowing she was completely alone.

The voices they wouldn’t stop talking to her. Where were they coming from?

“Stop!” She was going crazy.

The fridge. Anything to snap her from the pain she felt.

She opened the door, it was almost empty but there was a slew of green bottles in the back.

She grabbed one and unscrewed without even grabbing a shot glass and began chugging it.

You’re a failure. It’s your fault. Your fault.

It wasn’t stopping. Someone... she needed someone to tell her she was going crazy.

No, she needed sleep. In her desperateness she popped open the orange bottle again. In her haste the bottle falling onto the ground. The white pills littering the floor.

Desperate, desperate to escape.

She grabbed a handful and popped them into .

… 5.7.2016

Daniel gently stepped on the peddle, and his new car accelerated past the signal light. It was smooth, a brand new silver Tesla he had purchased with some of the money he had earned from his last commercial. A treat for how hard he had worked, and a gift to himself for finally getting his license in Korea. 

By the way, no small feat. The testing was way more rigerous than that of the U.S. a three part test instead of the normal two. If Daniel hadn't been such a capable driver, after so many long excursions, he might've failed. 

He was on his way to the airport, his sister flying in to spend the summer hanging out in Korea. Something he couldn't help but feel excited for, despite having his teammates and manager, he felt lonely sometimes. Home sick. He had asked his parents to come as well, but he knew his father was busy with work, and his mother didn’t like traveling.

A call popped onto the car screen and he answered assuming it was Jenny telling him she had just landed.

“Hello?” That’s when he glanced again at the contact.

Jiyeon?

Why now? Why now of all times, he was on his way to pick up his sister from the airport. Jiyeon… what do you want?

Hello, Hyoyoon-si you need to come to the hospital now! She’s in a critical state.” 

The voice was clearly not Jiyeon. Judging from the tone it seemed like her manager. He knew that she was calling her brother's name.

Daniel couldn’t believe his ears. What happened? What was she saying?

“Sorry I’m not her brother.” He replied.

Who are you? You’re ‘oppa’ right?” The voice inquired caught off guard by Daniel's voice.

Hearing her that Daniel immediately pulled to the side of the road. His mind spinning in circles at all the things he was trying to process.

“I’m her very close friend, now tell me what this is about.” Daniel desperate to figure out the situation lied.

Why was she in the hospital? What happened?

Um… well I found Jiyeon an hour ago on the ground in her apartment barely breathing, I called an ambulance and took her to the emergency room. We’re at Yulje University hospital in Gangnam.” 

“I’ll be there in 20 minutes.” 

Daniel without hesitation made a U-turn and sped back towards Seoul.

“Her brother is probably under a different name you should call him to let him know.” 

Of course, see you soon.”

Daniel immediately began driving and used the cars system to call his sister. 

Oppa? I just landed.”

“I am so sorry. I need to go to the hospital.” 

There was a pause. He wasn't sure how to continue.

Why? Did something happen?”

“I’m sorry, Jenny I can’t really explain yet…”

It’s fine just go, I can practice my Korean and take a taxi.”  

“Thanks, I can call my agent to pick you up.” Daniel tried to amend the situation guilty at what he was about to do. 

“Don’t worry. I’ll be fine.” The calmness in her voice assured him that she understood.

“Ok see you soon.” Daniel regretted that he was hanging up.

Shouldn’t his sister come over a girl who didn’t even love him?

But it wasn’t his mind thinking, it was his heart taking action. His complete focus was getting to the hospital as quickly as possible. 

KOREA dispatch: T-ara’s Jiyeon hauled off into an ambulance from apartment. Watchers are unsure of any details.

Checking the patient list, Daniel ran into the private ward she was being kept in. A large door, that simply had her name on the sign. As soon as he had entered the hospital he had placed a hat over his head to hide his identity. If he was caught here, there could be a multitude of misunderstandings.

But all of those thoughts disappeared when he laid his eyes on her.

There was a small limp figure on the bed. 

Seeing her like that he gasped in horror. He never could've imagined what he saw in front of him.

Her eyes had large dark circles around them, like she hadn’t slept for days.

She looked borderline anorexic like nothing had been consumed for a week maybe more. Even her normally beautiful brown hair was ruffled and in knots. 

It broke his heart seeing her laying there. To see Jiyeon in that state, it was more painful that all of the heartbreak he had felt when she had left him.

“Excuse me?” He turned and saw who he assumed was her manager. 

A young woman in her late 20s. She must’ve gone through a lot seeing such a sight, as she looked just as broken hearted as he did. 

However, her expression changed when she caught a better look at him.

“You’re… you’re…” The manager stared at him in total shock.

“Please, tell me what’s wrong and I’ll answer all your questions after.” Daniel pleaded with her, he didn’t have the patience to explain anything. He needed to know what happened.

Why was she in such a state?

Slowly, realizing the situation she seemed to gain her composure slightly. She was about to explain when the door slid open.

The doctor entered, thankfully Daniel was able to step back slightly so he wasn’t noticed. 

The doctor staring at his clipboard approached her manager.

“She overdosed on sleeping pills. She looks like she hasn’t eaten in 3 days and was drinking excessive amounts of alcohol. Frankly it’s a miracle she’s alive a few more pills and we would have a very different conversation.” 

Daniel couldn’t hide his dismay. Gasping loudly at the revealing. 

The doctor turned around caught off guard by his presence.

“You are?” The older doctor inquired suspiciously.

Thank god he didn’t recognize him.

“Her cousin.” Daniel quickly lied.

“I see, Miss Park’s symptoms all point to depression I’m afraid. I’m guessing there will be at least a month of recovery and then another 6 months or so of psychotherapy to a psychiatrist I can recommend. This is not an uncommon occurrence for idols, but unfortunately this one got way out of hand.” The doctor revealed.

Depression… impossible. It didn’t make sense. Not Jiyeon. She was too cute, happy, always cheerful. Sure she had been upset by the scandal but she had persevered through that. 

Why would she have depression?

“Is there a reason you can diagnose for the depression?” Daniel inquired completely engulfed in his total confusion.

“Well, I can’t say for sure, but for most idols… it stems from too much pressure, stress, and failure.” He responded calmly. 

Her scandal was fading... stress? She didn't have any comebacks, she should've been able to finally have peace.

“Also, don’t worry the hospital is keeping this completely confidential. The press outside won’t get a peep.” He was talking to her manager now. Then he nodded and left handing the manager several forms.

They both bowed. The door closing behind him.

“You’re… you’re… Daniel Choi. I’m such a huge fan.” Her manager suddenly squealed, before stopping realizing the situation at hand.

Daniel took off his hat and nodded, fully revealing his face.

“Yes, Jiyeon and I were friends a while back.” He figured this would be the best approach to explain their relationship. “We met in Las Vegas about 5 years ago.”

“I see.” The manager began to do some mental math. “So she knew you before you became big?” 

“You could say that.” Daniel agreed. 

“Is her family coming?” He inquired.

“They should be here in about 6 hours. They were in Busan for a vacation when I called them.” She stared at Jiyeon weekly, as an expression of guilt appeared on her face.

“I feel so bad, I should’ve been checking in on her more. I knew I should’ve.”

Tears formed in her eyes as she began to sob.

“Why didn’t you?” Daniel didn’t want to attack her, but he was so frustrated and confused… 

“The CEO said to give her space and focus my efforts on other idols. She’s on break until the relationship controversy falls of.” Her manager explained through the sobs. 

It still made little sense to him, he knew that sure her popularity in China had decreased, but why was she on break? 

“Her comeback and possible solo album got pushed back because of her relationship?” He interrogated. 

“Their was a scandal coming out that it was fake. If they ended the relationship then it would be targeted and there would be even more hate.” The manager revealed.

“But, it’s not a fake relationship, so why are they doing all this?” 

Daniel had so many questions. He realized all this time, he had been upset with Jiyeon for choosing another man, and living a happy life. 

He had been climbing to the top to meet her and steal her away. But in reality she had been suffering. Looking at her in such a helpless limp position he could tell. She was having a hard time.

He felt so guilty now. He had never once considered her feelings all this time. After the time she broke up with him, he had been determined on making his feelings known.

“I don’t know the answer to that unfortunately. I’m just her manager.” She answered. “But why are you so interested? Doesn’t she tell you if you’re close?”

“Actually…” Daniel sighed as he realized how direct he had been. “We stopped talking when I joined the NBA.”

“That was 3 years ago!” Her manager suddenly exclaimed.

“She said she no longer wanted to be friends with me.” 

Her manager breathed out a huff. As her shoulders tensed at Daniel’s reveal. And she had every right to, he was practically a complete stranger to Jiyeon now. She had no reason to trust him.

“I care about her a lot still. So please, please don’t tell her that I was here. I’m eternally grateful for letting me know.” He expressed his sincerity.

“Here let me get your number, please text me when she wakes up.” 

The manager took his phone and typed in her number. Jooyoung was her name. 

“Jooyoung-si thank you so much. I promise I only have good intentions towards her.” He assured her. Jooyoung seemed to be touched by his words, because there seemed to be an acceptance on her face.

He placed his hat over his head and turned towards the door. 

He took one last glance at Jiyeon. Somehow even in that state, even through in such a helpless condition she still looked beautiful. 

He wanted desperately to stay by her side, warm her hand in his and watch her sleep peacefully. But he couldn’t… he was a stranger still.

“You really care about her huh? I can see it in your eyes.” Jooyoung suddenly caught his attention again.

“It all makes sense now, why she was your fan, why you stated she’s your ideal type.”

Daniel could only nod. 

He left after, the pain of leaving her still shooting through his entire body.

He would protect her, he was sure of it, he would be there for her. From afar if he had to.

… 5.8.2016

KOREA dispatch: MBK releases statement, “T-ara’s Jiyeon slipped and fell in her apartment, due to heavy pain in her leg she was transported to the hospital. She is currently recovering and will rest up at home soon.” 

"Wow, as usual an attention making something out of nothing..." 

"I can't believe she wanted to be in the spotlight she made such a big deal out of nothing, just shows how desperate she is to deny being a has been."

"I hope she's ok! Praying for a speedy recovery Jiyeon."

… 5.11.2016

SOOMPI: Netizens have found the Beautiful Girl Daniel hugs during Championship win in viral photo. 

After the iconic photo of Basketball Idol Daniel Choi hugging a cheerleader was posted on the Naver homepage. Netizens began digging into who this mysterious girl was and whether she had any actual relation to the handsome young star.

This is what we have learned about former trainee and current SK Knight’s Cheerleader Lee Chaeeun:

  • She was a trainee under YG entertainment for 4 years and left after never debuting. 
  • She’s from Gangwon province a country girl before being scouted in University.
  • She is currently 26 years old and definite beauty, as avid fans of SK Knight’s claim that they have noticed her since she began on the team 3 years ago.
  • She has accepted modeling gigs for Innis free and Lucky Chuotte after gaining popularity for her beautiful appearance in the photo
  • She was speculated to have once dated KT Thunder star Daniel Lee
  • She has no current relationship with Daniel Choi, though she has many times promoted him on her social media, calling him “our Daehan oppa” as many Netizens do.

Well that’s what we know. I’m sure many superfans of the young player are happy to hear they are not dating. But I wouldn’t be if he dates someone like her in the future. A cute couple and made for a beautiful picture.

//////////////

Top Comments:

“She’s so pretty and I can’t believe that picture catapulted her career. I’m cheering for her and YG let go of a real beauty.”

“I was looking for who she was all over SNS, thanks for the information as always!! She’s pretty and I wonder if she might start appearing as supporting roles soon.”

“The way they embraced makes me wonder if they are dating. I hear you can’t control your feelings when you’re at your happiest or saddest. If they start dating it would be an amazing story."

… 5.14.2016

Jiyeon picked at the food in front of her. The fork in her hand shaking as she weakly fumbled with it.

“Please, Jooyoung-si said you have to eat. Please eat more Jiyeon-ah.” Donggun practically begged, sitting on a chair next to her bed.

Jiyeon forced herself to take a bite of the bland rice and tofu. The tasteless food swishing around . She wanted something with flavor like meat, or even kimchi. Anything with flavor. 

But her doctor had ordered her to eat only bland foods until the sleeping pills completely left her system. So, knowing it was her fault she had to listen.

Jiyeon knew that this was something that she had coming. She had stopped taking care of herself and had intentionally stopped eating recently. 

She had never had suicidal thoughts, but at some point she began to stop caring about herself. 

She could’ve died, and it was a wakeup call to her. She would be eternally grateful for her manager Jooyoung, for finding her in time. But what changed? Her situation was the same. Her feelings were the same. Nothing had come from this.

“Donggun oppa.” She sighed finally dropping the metal fork on her plate. “You can stop acting like you care.” 

“Jiyeon what are you talking about?” He questioned surprised by her statement.

“This is all fake.” She was tired of this. His patience and kindness only made her feel guiltier and more upset.

Donggun glanced back double checking that the door was closed before returning to look back at her confusion in his eyes.

“If you’re mad because I couldn’t come right away, I’m sorry. I had a filming for a movie. I didn’t hear about it until later and I came right away and…” He apologized.

But that wasn’t the issue. That had never been the issue.

“I know oppa. But… I don’t love you.” Jiyeon confessed, it had been damn near impossible to say back before. But what was the point of living unhappy, she had almost died. 

“Which is why it makes me feel more guilty when you help me, when you’re kind to me. Can’t you just be upset? Can’t you hate me?” She was surprised by her own words.

There was a silence. They both breathed out as Donggun walked towards the window clearly frustrated.

“Sorry oppa.” Jiyeon mumbled quietly. 

“I want to know one day.” He began coldly his eyes staring into the city, before turning around and gazing into her eyes. His eyes were trembling, hurt and frustration filling them. 

The classy and manly actor looked pained for the first time she had ever seen. 

“Who made you like this?” He questioned catching her off guard.

“What do you mean?” 

“Who closed your heart to anyone else? What man do you love so much that you’re willing to prevent any chance of ever loving another.” He wasn’t joking. He meant exactly what he was saying. 

It frightened Jiyeon how correct he was.

“I can see it whenever we’re together. You’re thinking of how miserable you are without this person. I know this is fake… but Jiyeon if you’re not going to move on, you’ll be alone forever.”

Jiyeon knew he was right. She was hurting herself by preventing herself from moving on. But she had a reason for it, she couldn’t explain it to anyone… but she had a reason for not being able to be with the one she loved.

There was an awkward silence between them, as Jiyeon couldn’t answer him.

“Anyways. Let’s just break up then. I won’t ask you to do any more dates. But let’s release the news in October when no one will care. Until then… be well Jiyeon. I liked you, but I can’t like someone who loves a ghost.”

Donggun sighed before exiting the room. Jiyeon felt her shoulders slump as he did. She had finally gotten it off her chest, but was she any happier?

He was close. But he wasn’t attainable, that was her problem.