Chapter 4: (2012)

No Longer a Coward

…1.11.2012

Daniel dropped his phone onto the ground. Not even flinching as the aluminum chasis collided with the wooden floor. 

He sighed, kicking his legs into the air in frustration. Why had he said that? Was he insane, telling her to date someone else... Was it because he was afraid?

Truth be told was terrified of losing her as a friend.

He wasn't sure when it began. But texting with her became the highlight of his day. He couldn't lose that, so shouldn't he be ok? With this much.

But he hated it. He hated the fact that there was no world where he could dream of competing with the handsome and charming idols that courted her. 

She had even mentioned it before, boasting how more than 5 different male idols had asked for her number.

Part of him resented it. He wondered if she really was so innocent as not to realize his feelings for her.

However, wasn't that why he had fallen for her? The innocence he had seen in her eyes. He couldn't say anthing.

 

…1.16.12 

“Why are you drinking so much?” Ashley pleaded for him to stop. 

He sat by the window of her dorm, a bottle of soju in his hand. Darkness had set upon New York, the brightly lit city shining through the glass pane. He was already on his second bottle. His eyes wandering to the tiny fridge at the corner of her room for more.

Why was he here? How had he ended up here? 

He knew he made mistakes when he wasn't sober. That was how he had gotten in this situation in the first place.

If only he had never requested. He had never texted her. Then maybe he wouldn't feel so lonely.

“Daniel, are you feeling ok?” Ashley kneeled beside him, concern painted on her face. "You seem out of it."

He stared at her blankly. She was pretty... but somehow she looked just like every other girl.

She was just pretty like everyone else. There wasn’t the uniqueness he had seen in Jiyeon, even just texting with her. The innocence he fell for that night. 

“I’m fine.” He brushed off her comforting hand, his eyes wandering back to the window.

Millions of people living in such a cramped space. This was why he loved urban cities. There were people everywhere you looked. How could one possibly feel lonely?

“Why did you invite me?” He found himself questioning.

That was right. She had invited him over. Daniel couldn't even remember what it was for anymore.

“I like you.” She confessed out of nowhere.

His eyes focused on her, he shouldn’t be shocked. He should’ve seen it coming.

He wasn't dense as to not realize her feelings. He was different than her.

“Why?”

She looked taken aback, clearly startled by the question.

“Why? Cause I’m on the basketball team? Cause I’m helping you with your homework? Why!” Daniel raised his voice.

Instantly he regretted. He didn't mean to question her intentions, he knew he sounded like such a jerk. But in his drunken stupor, his inner just poured out. 

Instead of an answer, he felt her lips touch his.

Before he could react, her face inches from his. His jaw cupped between her hands. She gazed at him lovingly. 

“I like you, who cares the reason?” 

He was speechless. Somehow he couldn’t help but compare her to the girl he liked. No matter how ed up it was.

She took his lips again. This time she tried to deepen the kiss. He stopped her, gently pushing her away.

“Ashley.” He tried to muster up a response. She deserved better.

However, he wasn’t thinking anymore.

“Why don’t you like me?” She questioned, tears forming around her caring eyes. 

Unrequited love. He felt it, and he was about to impose the same upon someone else? 

How ed up was this world? 

“Ashley. I… I…” His mind blanked.

She kissed him again. This time he didn’t resist, his bottom lip between hers, she pressed deeper.

His back edged closer and closer against the glass window as he received her. Allowing her to fill the empty void he felt inside.

He was hurting. Had he been in a normal state he would've known... this wasn’t the answer.

But for a second, just for a second, he felt wanted. He wasn’t alone. 

 

JIYEON: yes

MYUNGSOO: What is yes to?

MYUNGSOO: explain

MYUNGSOO: hurry

JIYEON: let’s date.

She stared at the messages again and again. It had been two days since she had accepted his confession. 

Jiyeon grinned, staring at her noticeably brighter complexion reflection in the mirror. She was just that happy.

She realized that she felt brighter now that she was officially in a relationship.

She was happy, he was her ideal type, and she fawned at the idea of going on more dates. She wanted to experience what it was like to like someone, to fall deeper in love.

He had given her time to make her decision and after a pondering the advice from Daniel, she had agreed.

Myungsoo deserved this, she had made him wait for so long. How could she say no?

“Jiyeon-si!”

She turned to see her manager standing in the practice room, he had a frown on his face. 

“Yes oppa?” She questioned. Was something wrong?

“The CEO wanted to see you.” She followed her manager through the hallway. 4 large practice rooms on each side.

Sure it wasn’t as large as other organizations such as YG or SM Entertainment. But it was still a large enough building that Jiyeon found it hard to find the room she was looking for.

She arrived at the CEO’s office. Her manager knocked for her.

"Come in." The CEO called out.

Her manager quickly ushered her in and she noticed that another middle aged woman was seated already. There was a dignified expression on her face, dressed formally, Jiyeon wondered who she could be.

“Hi, I am Woollim Entertainment's PR Director Jang Nara.” She introduced herself reaching out her hand.

Jiyeon wondered what someone from Woolim entertainment was doing here. 

Was it about him?

“I’m sure you know. That Infinite’s Myungsoo is quite a stubborn person. He is kind hearted and charming, but stubborn.” Nara continued in a calm voice.

“I learned.” Jiyeon agreed, thinking of how adamantly he pursued her, yet how patient he had been as well.

“I’m here, because of the scandal between the two of you. I wanted to hear your version of the story.”

Jiyeon furrowed her eyebrows. She didn’t follow. Her version of the story?

“You. see Kim Myungsoo has admitted to us that he is dating you. I just wanted to hear your answer.” She revealed.

“I am dating him.” She admitted. What did they think she would answer?

She heard a frustrated sigh from her CEO. 

“Jiyeon-si. Please understand that we only want the best for both of you. But right now with the release of your new music video tomorrow and his current concerts we can’t have the two of you dating.” The CEO revealed the intent of the meeting now.

“I don’t understand.” Jiyeon bit her lip.

She couldn’t understand. Why couldn’t they just date in secret? She had seen plenty of other idols openly dating behind the scenes at music shows.

“The press is giving us one day before they release their own article on whether you two are dating. If we don’t give a statement both agencies could be in trouble.” Director Nara explained.

“What’s wrong with us dating?” Jiyeon questioned. “The comments were positive.”

She had indeed read many of the articles. The forums. Most people had good things to say. The positive reaction played slightly into her decision.

“Jiyeon-si, you and Kim Myungsoo-si are both young. You are becoming the main draws for many of the fans. They want to think that you’re theirs. That’s how being a Center works.” Her reasoning... it made sense. 

Jiyeon hated that it made sense.

“I understand.”

Inside she felt frustrated and wronged. Why were they butting into her personal life?

She had already considered her choice so much. She had weighed the pros and cons herself and now... Now she was being told her opinion didn't matter.

“Please I beg of you to break up with him.” The director pleaded.

For a second Jiyeon thought of a Korean drama scene with a jealous mother. But this was real life, she was being asked to break up with her boyfriend of Two days. 

“Jiyeon-si, if you care about his career along with yours. I would strongly advise you to date later.” Her CEO pleaded with her.

She hated how it made her feel like the bad guy. Was being in love a crime? Why should she feel ashamed of her love?

“Think about your members. You have a drama airing, think about what this could mean for that.” 

Jiyeon had never realized that this one decision could have a negative effect on her members.

After how hard they had worked... after how hard she had worked. She couldn’t do that to them. It wasn't fair to any of them. Even to Hwayoung.

“I’ll break up with him.” Jiyeon announced her decision, acting as strong as she could in front of them.

Struggling to hold in her emotions, she held her head up high.

“We’ll release a statement today.” The CEO told the director a bright smile on his face. “Thank you Jiyeon, I’m sorry it has to be this way.” 

How could he smile? How could either of them smile? They had just torn her relationship to bits. Torn her pride up.

“I understand.” Jiyeon replied her legs shaking beneath the table.

She made it all of ten steps out of the CEO’s office when she broke. Tears poured down her eyes, she pushed open the stairway door. She leaned against the cement wall, her sobs echoing down the empty flights of stairs. Burrying her face into her hands, she wept out the misery inside. 

She shouldn't be crying. It had only been two days. She had done the right thing hadn't she?

Sacrificing. That was the right thing wasn't it?

…1.16.12

Soompi: MBK Entertainment and Woollim Entertainment both release statements denying dating rumor between visual members

January 10th, 2012

Today at 8:00 pm both agencies of the the two Idols T-ara’s Jiyeon and Infinite’s L have denied the relationship between the two.

“The two idols have had a close friendship since meeting many times during competition shows. They became close friends and that day Myungsoo offered to buy a meal for Jiyeon as close friends. Both have apologize to fans for the misunderstanding. Neither are dating and both will continue to promote their albums with your support.” 

Though the couple was received by a large fandom supporting their dating, many comments on the boards have also admitted poor timing. On popular internet forum Naver the top voted comment was:

[ +19,678 -5,632] "I think that while they do look very cute together with T-ara climbing to the top, and Infinite’s L recently debuted trying to gain more popularity. This may not be the best time for them to date. Jiyeon is appealing to many young men and it may not go over with her fans, so I hope she doesn’t suffer from this."

Now that misunderstandings are cleared up. Who do you think the next big couple will be to emerge?

Fans of T-ara though should be excited for the release of the new music video for Lovey Dovey tomorrow. Also tune in for T-ara’s Jiyeon to appear on Dream High 2 airing its pilot on January 30th.

///////////////

Top Comments:

“I know it’s unpopular but I think that Jiyeon and Myungsoo should just stay as friends.”

“Too bad could’ve been a cute couple :( I’ll be watching Dream high 2 for sure.“

“Can’t wait to support their next release. T-ara fighting! I'll buy your album for sure” 

MYUNGSOO: Why Jiyeon?

MYUNGSOO: We could’ve dated in secret.

MYUNGSOO: Why do you want to break up with me?

MYUNGSOO: Please respond

Jiyeon hovered her thumbs over her screen, her hands trembling as she read the messages he had left her.

She felt pity towards him, and it only made her decision that much harder. 

She didn’t even get to make that decision either. It had been made for her.

They told her this was part of being a celebrity. This was what would make them both happier. 

So why didn't she feel happy?

It hurt her so much. No one would even know how much she sacrificed for her group. 

JIYEON: Oppa, let’s be good friends from now on.

JIYEON: Its what's best for both of us

JIYEON: sorry oppa 

She needed comforting, she needed him. Instead, her friends were the only place she could turn to.

93er’s group chat: 10 new messages

IU: sorry to hear the news

LUNA: Want to drink with us tonight?

IU: Better yet, let’s go to Inna unnies house! 

LUNA: yes, are you ok with that Jiyeon?

JIYEON: ok.

IU: I’d come pick you up...

IU: but I can’t drive

LUNA: shut up!

LUNA: don’t joke right now

IU: I’m trying to make her feel better

Jiyeon cracked a smiled at Jieun’s playfulness, though only for a second...

She immediately begged her manager to take her. He didn't respond at first, she knew it was against the rules. But he agreed to drive her after seeing her crestfallen face. 

She knocked on Yoo Inna’s apartment and the door swung open by the second knock. She wondered if she was the first one to get there.

However, before she could peek inside— Inna's arms wrapped around her waist. Her unnie tightly embracing her.

“Are you ok?” The shorter Unnie began to rub her back gently. "Jiyeon-a, it must be hard right now."

Jiyeon nodded her head at first. But it didn't last.

The tears fell naturally. One after another gently descending her cheeks as she rested her chin into Inna's shoulder. She had never told anyone how she felt, how unfair she felt the situation was. And she wasn't going to.

But in her friend's warm arms. She finally felt peace. She opened up.

“I'm not ok unnie! I hate it, Unnie. Why do I have to make this decision?” She felt guilty sobbing in Inna’s arms. Her loud voice echoing through the dark stairway.

“It's hard isn't it? Everything will work out, ok?” She comforted her, her soothing voice, providing warmth to her.

For a second, Jiyeon could understand why this Unnie was a radio host. Her high pitched voice, surprisingly gentle and calming.

“It’s not fair isn't it? You’re too young to have to make these decisions.” 

Inna seemed to perfectly express Jiyeon's emotions. Hearing her side with her, slowly calmed her down.

After a few minutes, Inna released her and beckoned for her to follow her into the apartment. The second she entered, the aroma of tteokbokki and ramen, her favorite snacks, filled her with joy.

“Thanks unnie.” Jiyeon whispered. 

“Of course.” Inna turned around holding up a spatchula cutely posing with her an angelic expression. 

Jiyeon grinned wondering if she truly was an angel.

The doorbell rang and Jiyeon ran to open the door. Immediately two more sets of arms appeared from behind and wrapped themselves around her.

“Thank you.” Jiyeon squeaked out as it became harder to breathe. 

“We love you Jiyeon.” IU confessed as the shorter girl squeezed her waist even harder.

At that moment, Jiyeon realized how thankful she was to have such good friends.

That night, she felt the pain start to fade. As she spent the night eating and laughing with her closest friends.

By the end of the night she wondered to herself. Why had the pain gone away so quickly? 

Was her pain really because she lost a possible boyfriend? Or had it been because of how wronged she felt?

Perhaps it was just the reassuring presence of her close friends. Perhaps... maybe... just maybe, she had not truly liked Myungsoo as much as she told herself.

…1.30.12

“Did you see that idol you’re a fan of? She was in a scandal.” Ashley inquired scrolling through her phone as he lay on her bed. 

“Really?” Daniel lied.

He had read the news of that almost 20 days ago. But he appreciated that his girlfriend seemed to be making an effort to learn his interests. 

Or former interests.

“Yes. They thought she was dating this other idol, who’s pretty handsome. But she wasn’t.” Ashley explained in a very vague way.

Daniel chuckled.

“Do you think he’s better looking than me?”

Ashley stared at the picture on her phone, then back at him. 

“Maybe.” She . “But you’re definitely a lot smarter, and more athletic. I like guys with talent.”

“He can sing and dance.” Daniel defended the idol.

“Yes, but that seems kind of feminine. I think you’re more manly.” She complimented him.

“Thanks.” Daniel stared up at the ceiling. Ashley quickly shuffled onto the bed and bent over and stole a kiss.

“I’m gonna go workout.” Daniel announced, his eyes wandering away.

“But it’s a Saturday, let’s go on a date.” She whined. Daniel sighed and slowly nodded his head.

“Ok, I guess you’re right. Where should we go?” He tried to brighten his tone. 

Ashley seemed to ponder something as she lay next to him.

“Shopping?”

Daniel rolled his eyes.

“Or how about…” She hesitated before crawling on top of him, her face hovering inches away from his. “Sleeping?” 

She pressed her lips firmly against his and he smiled at the affection. 

“Sounds like a plan.” He said and reached forward deepening the kiss. She tugged at his shirt and his hands wandered the edges of his shirt. Before completely pulling off the shirt. She did the same and he reached his hands foward, following the straps of her bra to the latch and snapped it. The tiny fabric fell off her chest onto the bed revealing her figure. He stared into her seductive gaze.

She kissed him, starting with his face and descending  from his neck towards the brass button of his jeans. Her hands following close behind.

He was growing fond of her. He could see a future. But was it the one he wanted?

… 4.9.2012

“Look Unnie you won!” The cute Kim Dani cried aloud running over, her phone shaking recklessly in her hand. 

Even to Jiyeon, the famous maknae, she began to feel old staring at the barely 14 year old girl in front of her. Jiyeon could remember when she had become a trainee for MBK at 14, yet here was a girl about to debut at the age of 14.

“What?” Jiyeon inquired curiously.

“The poll for the Most Wanted Face among idols.” Dani exclaimed.

Jiyeon faintly remembered being polled at the last Inkigayo about something along those lines.

“Oh, yah I remember voting for that one.” Hyomin remarked entering into the practice room.

It was just the three of them.

“Jiyeon Unnie won! Out of 200 female idols polled.” Dani announced proudly pointing towards her. 

Jiyeon was quite shocked herself. She was constantly told she was pretty, but she had assumed the usual visuals would win it. SNSD's Yoona, After School's Nana, 2NE1's Dara, or even Hyuna.

“Wow! Daebak! I didn’t even vote for you and you won.” Hyomin gasped cheekily.

“Ya! Unnie! Who’d you vote for?” Jiyeon questioned acting betrayed.

“Of course Yoona-si! Who else?” Hyomin shrugged her shoulders before cracking a mischevious grin. 

“Wow, daebak! There was a tie for the male winner between Jaejoong Sunbae and Infinite's L!” Suddenly, she covered and stared right at Hyomin who was waiving her hands for her to stop.

"Sorry unnie.” Dani bowed her head apologetically.

Jiyeon smiled assuring her it was ok, “It’s been a few months I’m fine.” 

“Are you sure?” Hyomin asked suspiciously. “You seem disappointed a lot lately.”

Jiyeon sighed. She wished she could’ve said that she was still hurting because of Myungsoo. But that just wasn't the case.

She had gotten over him while filming Dream High 2, during that time she had honestly forgotten how disappointed she felt before.

The problem was Daniel. He had stopped texting her completely. It had been almost a month since she last asked how he was doing and he still hadn’t responded.

She noticed that after the scandal, he texted less frequently, but days later he had completely stopped.

To be honest it stressed her out. Was he really that busy?

“It’s something else.” She assured them, thinking of a way to change the subject.

“Anyways let’s practice with Dani again as we promised.”

While Qri and Boram had decided to take Ahreum under their wing as their comeback approached. Jiyeon and Hyomin had promised to help Dani. 

“Let’s begin.” Hyomin announced as she the familiar Lovey Dovey song.

Jiyeon and Hyomin began to make the shuffling movements for the dance while Dani just stared at them. 

“What’s wrong?” Jiyeon inquired.

“My dancing . It’s no use.” She threw her arms up in defeat before dropping her  onto the floor. “I don’t have talent for it, unlike you unnies.”

“Hey, Dani it’s just cause you’re young. You’ll get a lot better!” Hyomin tried to cheer her up.

However, unlike Hyomin, Jiyeon empathized with the young girl’s pain.

She sat down beside her and placed her arm around her shoulder.

“Dani, I was like you when I was your age too. I couldn't dance for my life and had no talent for singing either, but I practiced hard. That’s how I improved, I’m sure you can too.” Jiyeon assured her.

“Really unnie?” Dani gazed at her in shock.

“Of course.” Jiyeon patted her back beckoning for her to stand up. “Ask Hyomin unnie or any of the unnies, I at dancing.” 

Hyomin nodded sheepishly with a smile. “She’s not lying. I taught her everything she knows.”

Dani chuckled as they started the music. 

“Just follow my lead.” Jiyeon began as Dani stood behind her. She could remember Hyomin doing the same for her when she was still a trainee.

“And the student has become the master.” Hyomin sighed quoting some Scifi movie from behind them. 

“Unnie thanks for letting me sleep over.” Dani smiled brightly laying next to Jiyeon.

Truth be told, the bed was probably not big enough for the both of them. But compared to Hyomin, who rolled around every other minute, Jiyeon would rather her sleep with her.

“I know you’re still technically a trainee, but it feels like you’re practically T-ara, so feel free to come over whenever you want.” Jiyeon offered, comfortably resting on her side, her face towards the wall.

After a few minutes, she thought she heard a light purr from beside her. So she quietly checked her phone to see if there were any new messages.

93er’s groupchat: 20 new messages

HYOJOON (oppa): 4 new messages

MINHO: 2 new messages

HEECHUL (sunbae): 5 new messages

YOO INNA: 2 new messages

93er’s group chat

IU: Japan is great,

IU: I miss Ramyun though not Ramen

IU: I also miss you two 

IU: just like a little though

LUNA: did I ask?

IU: bully

LUNA: I'm kidding I miss you Jieun

JIYEON: I miss you too

JIYEON: Actually, I'm with our new trainee Dani, she might debut soon

JIYEON: say something to her

IU: dani fighting! I saw her pictures she’s so cute

IU: like a baby

LUNA: you’re like a baby

LUNA: good luck Dani! Fighting!

Jiyeon turned around and tapped the young girl on the shoulder. Dani quickly rolled to face her signaling she wasn’t really sleeping.

“Yes?” Dani asked a little too loudly. Hyomin groaned in her bed.

Jiyeon quietly shushed her as she revealed her phone screen with the messages on it.

Dani smiled brightly as she whispered a response to Jiyeon.

IU: what did she say?

LUNA: yes, what did she say?

JIYEON: she says she is a big fan of you both and is thankful

IU: really? 

LUNA: who does she like more? 

JIYEON: im not gonna ask her that

IU: tell her it should be 'You and I' together 

IU: instead of you two

LUNA: you’re not funny

Jiyeon chuckled silently. She showed Dani the chat and she giggled as well.

Jiyeon dimmed her phone screen, before checking one more time to see if there were really no new messages from Daniel. There were none.

JIYEON: It’s been a while, how is everything?

The message had not even been read. She had sent it more than a month ago. 

“Unnie, I don’t mean to intrude, but I know that face.” Dani whispered.

“Huh?” Jiyeon questioned, lowering her phone slightly to come face to face with the cute girl.

“You’re waiting for Myungsoo oppa to text you aren’t you?” 

Jiyeon stared at her in confusion. What was she saying?

“You look like you’re waiting for someone.” Dani explained.

Jiyeon shook her head. 

“No, it’s just a friend.” 

“Jiyeon unnie, you’ve done so much for me. Let me help you for one second.”

Jiyeon slowly nodded hesitantly. What did she mean— her phone vanished from her hand and the young girl from the bed soon after. 

Jiyeon realizing too late what was happening, leaped out of bed after her.

Dani had already exited the dorm and the door shut behind her. Jiyeon grabbed her slippers as she ran after the young girl. What the hell was she thinking?

She ran into the hallway of the apartment building and froze. A voice, by the elevators.

She gently crept towards the sound and saw Dani holding HER phone innocently by the metal elevator.

“Hello?” Dani inquired talking on the phone.

Hello?” 

Was that? No way... she had never called him before. Why would he pick up now when they hadn't texted in so long?

“You’re not Myungsoo sunbae-nim.” Dani pointed out the obvious.

Jiyeon almost cursed as she remembered she had saved Daniel's contact just as Oppa. At the time she had been afraid of her members going through her messages.

There was a hearty chuckle over the phone.

Even after almost a year she could recognize his voice. She was brought back to Vegas. How had she only known him for barely a year? It felt like they had been friends forever.

You’re not Park Jiyeon either.” He responded smoothly.

Dani stared at Jiyeon confusion painted over her face. 

“Are you her oppa, Hyojoon?”

uhh… yes.”  

Jiyeon sighed in relief. Impressed by his quick wit.

“Oh… I’m Kim Dani. I'm actually just a trainee—”

You’re debuting soon right?” He interrupted. 

He knew? It wasn't a well known fact. Had he just gussed?

“Maybe, I don’t know, I’m still a trainee for now.” Dani explained.

“Can you put my sister on?” 

Jiyeon breathed nervously as she snatched back her phone. Before giving a menacing glare at Dani. Who walked back her shoulders slumped to the dorm.

“Hello?” She could feel her entire body trembling. What was she doing? 

How had she gotten into this situation?

Jiyeon?” Somehow his voice felt familiar, despite the fact that she had only ever texted him.

It was surprising he had even picked up.

“Daniel.” She mumbled his name, she had never said it outloud. Only repeated it in her head as she texted him or thought about their conversations.

Then realizing neither had said anything after, she broke the silence. “Um… How have you been?”

…busy.” 

She nodded her head. Of course. That’s why he didn’t respond for two months... Was she mad at him? A little hurt perhaps.

“I see.” She mumbled.

Actually.” 

She was completely focused now wondering what type of excuse he would give. Say you got into an accident. Say you lost your phone and just found it again.

Jiyeon wanted some type of reason for why he was ignoring her.

I have a girlfriend now, so I have been pretty busy with her."

That wasn't the answer she had been looking for. Jiyeon wasn’t sure how to respond. Of course, if he had a girlfriend, he shouldn’t be texting her.

But somehow it bothered her. She didn’t want to say it, but she longed for their conversations again.

“Congratulations.” She bit her lip as she said it. Swallowing whatever pride she had.

However, what kind of person would she be by if she was angered by it? She had told him about Myungsoo and he had given her advice. He had even cheered for her! Shouldn’t she do the same?

Thanks."

“I’m…” Her voice was trembling. She felt a lump in . “Really happy for you... I mean it.”

She hung up immediately unable to stand the awkwardness and headed back towards the dorm. 

“Who was that?” Hyomin was standing by the door with a guilty Dani seated against the couch.

“I’m sorry Unnie.” Dani quickly apologized getting on her knees and lowering her head.

“It’s fine.” Jiyeon assured her somewhat embarrased by the overkill.

"Why don't you get some sleep?" Jiyeon requested.

Dani nodded and quickly left back into their room and closed the door behind her.

“Who was that?” Hyomin interrogated, eyeing her suspiciously.

“My oppa.” Jiyeon lied. 

“I know when you’re lying.” Hyomin stared at her. "Who was it actually?"

She knew that she couldn’t lie to the girl she considered a sister. 

“My friend… from America.” She revealed hesitantly,

“The guy… from the hotel? That guy? You still keep in contact?” Hyomin questioned raising her voice.

Jiyeon nodded her head.

“You like him don’t you?” Hyomin .

“No, it’s not that I swear.” Jiyeon defended herself panicking. “It’s just that he’s a close friend. Besides he has a girlfriend again.”

Hyomin hesitantly agreed as she turned around to go back to her room.

“Unnie.”

Hyomin turned around.

“Please don’t tell anyone. Not even the members. Please?” Jiyeon was about to get on her knees just as Dani had done.

Hyomin chucked nodding her head. “Of course I wont. But are you sure you don't have feelings for him?” 

When the call was over Daniel let out a sigh of relief.

He was glad that was over. It had been weighing on his mind for a long time, he still felt drawn towards the idol. The beautiful girl he had fallen in love with in one night. But he knew he needed to stop. 

This was a good stopping point. He had been pondering what to do with her messages for a while. If he checked them, he would certainly be back into his obsession. 

He exited his Kakao talk. Then after much consideration. He deleted the app. 

Ashley deserved better.

He had feelings for Ashley he was sure of it.

He just needed to remove the distractions. He would focus on his girlfriend, his school work, and basketball. That would be it.

The season had ended for his basketball team and his coach had promised him a spot the next year. That would be his chance. He was not going to miss it.

Just because she had set him on this new path, it didn't mean she was the end goal... was she?

… 6.16.2012

Jiyeon barged into the CEO’s office, ignoring whatever stupid rules there were about meeting with the CEO. 

“Why?” She questioned completely dropping honorifics, too stunned and furious to think.

The CEO who was sitting calmly at his desk stared up at her.

“Excuse me?” The CEO inquired clearly taken aback by her disrespectful voice.

“Why are you dropping Dani from the comeback? Why isn't debuting! She worked for 4 months straight with us. Training as hard as any of us. Why?” Jiyeon screamed no longer holding anything in. 

She was tired of it all. This was the last straw.

Boram had told Jiyeon the news, that Dani wouldn't be joining them for their comeback. It was unfair. No, it was downright stupid!

“Jiyeon-si. As I explained before, incorporating a new member is difficult into a group, I learned that from before.” He reasoned with her. “So I asked each of you if you felt that Dani should join the group, I felt if it wasn’t unanimous... Then she shouldn’t debut. She is rather young anyways.” 

Jiyeon shook her head. No more excuses. She was tired of her CEO making these stupid decisions. Though Dani was young, she had practiced tirelessly with the other members. Surely they had all voted for her to join. Her young energy had lifted the spirits of even the older members such as Qri and Soyeon.

“There was a member who disagreed and after explaining her view, I had to side with her.” The CEO revealed. “Kim Dani will debut later maybe with a different group, don’t worry about her.”

Jiyeon hated that she couldn’t do anything.

She had grown fond of the young girl, even if she did pull such a stunt that night. Jiyeon knew Dani's intentions were always good and she practiced unbelievably hard. It felt like she wasn't even being given a chance she deserved.

“I understand that you see much of yourself in her.” The CEO observed almost reading her mind. “I do too. But she is extremely young for me to debut her. Please understand.”

Jiyeon nodded, she clenched her fist underneath the desk. Still fuming.

But when she realized that there was nothing she could do or say to change his mind, she stormed out.

She had started of making it a habit to cry as she left the office. She pitied the younger girl so much. Dani had been so full of hope and energy. But the voice that had called her an hour ago, was anything but that. It was full of defeat and despair. Jiyeon couldn't bear hearing Dani sound so hopeless.

She wept again. Shamelessly, directly in front of the office this time. Not caring at all if anyone saw her. Somehow this hurt more than the last time. It was someone else's life that had suffered. And Jiyeon felt helpless.

“Jiyeon-si.”

She looked up to see her manager standing in front of her.

“It’s ok, I know you care about her. But this may be better for her in the end.” He reasoned. "She can join another group and be with trainees closer to her age."

“You’re right.” She rubbed her eyes wiping away the tears. “You’re right.”

“Come on now, were leaving for Japan soon.” Her manager requested. 

They would begin their second round of promotions soon, with their first full Japanese Album.

Right about now she wished she could talk to him, ask him to comfort her. But he was gone. He had come into her life and faded away soon after. 

Daniel. I miss you.