Chapter 14: (2014)

No Longer a Coward

... 7.2.2014 

Yoo in na's Volume up Radio Show

AD: (SNSD Yuri) We're all trying to get somewhere... Some of us to higher places, some of us to the grocery store. So why make it a drag? Go in style with the all new Hyundai Sonata. The safest, most advanced, four wheel luxury sedan in Korea. Drive in style drive in luxury. Hyundai.

YInna: KBS Cool FM Yoo inna here. Here to start Volume up, right at the dot today. Today I'm feeling very stern. Do you know why? Because I definitely won't be changing my mind. "Never Ever". Yes that's correct, today we have my close friend and now soloist... Park Jiyeon!

(clapping sounds)

YInna: Yes that's right in a few minutes we will have T-ara's Park Jiyeon to talk about her solo debut. It's been almost two months since it came out, and finally she has time to come on. I made her promise a while ago, and I kept counting down the days when she finally told me she was free. So without further ado Park Jiyeon. But first... 

AD: (Jo Jung Suk) Flying! I know i hate it. But taking a boat to Jeju is the worst. ASIANA! Did you say the best in safety and service? ASIANA! No I said the most reliable and recognized airline in Korea. So next time you're thinking about flying somewhere... Asiana. Number one in safety, number one in service.

YInna: If you're listening right now. Congratulations! You are now able to have the pleasure of hearing T-ara's Park Jiyeon on to discuss her solo debut. Please share a little what's it been like.

PJiyeon: It's been great. Thank you to all the fans who have supported me during my solo debut. Seeing all the fans at my concerts and performances made me really happy. 

YInna: Smileyface23 says "Hurray it's Jiyeon! I'm such a huge fan wishing sucess and good health." Yes that's right were all excited to have Jiyeon-si here. Now, Jiyeon I read that your song Never Ever reached 20 million youtube views and already has garned 100 million views on Chinese streaming sites. 

PJiyeon: Yes, that's right I'm very thankful to all of my fans international or here in Korea

YInna: LoveJiyeon24 says "I'm so glad Jiyeon is back I've been cheering for her and missed her when she was in China." Yes i'm glad to have Jiyeon back as well. We've been having drinks together often whenever were both free. Actually with all your success maybe you should buy me a meal.

PJiyeon: Unnie, of course i'll buy you a meal. Yes I love performing for international fans, but i love performing here in Seoul the most! 

YInna: Loveydovey2 says "you should have a meal after this" actually we will probably have a meal together soon. So i definitely look forward to it. But do you know what else i look forward to?

PJiyeon: what?

YInna: Chicken. BBQ Chicken actually. They have the best tasting and guaranteed crunch wherever it's delevered to.

PJiyeon: Ahh, i love chicken as well. Although unfortunately, i haven't been able to have any with my recent debut.

YInna: we'll have more of Jiyeon-si right after a few quick ads. 

AD: (Chorong) I tend to stay home a lot. So what happens when i get hungry? Ramen? That's boring. Jajangmyeon? I want something more... Chicken? Yes! But it always gets soggy on the way. Wait whats that? BBQ had guaranteed crunchy delivery? Yes sign me up. BBQ, guaranteed crunchy, guaranteed speedy delivery.

YInna: For everyone tuning in we have T-ara's Park Jiyeon in studio with us to talk about her solo debut. S00jin says "I love you Jiyeon, thanks for coming on the show. I love listening to you Inna unnie on the way to work." I'm glad to hear that Soojin-si. Now Jiyeon, we're good friends right?

Pjiyeon: Tha'ts right. haha

Yinna: Most people probably know that we were on 'Heroes' together

Pjiyeon: That's right

Yinna: But actually we even hangout a lot and i help her choose clothes... i'm like her stylist.

PJiyeon: haha that's right. I'm not very good at choosing outfits and picking clothes so Inna helps me a lot. Sometimes she shows up at my house and says "We're going shopping today" sternly.

Yinna: haha exactly, I always thought Jiyeon was one of the prettiest girls i knew. But i never understood why she just wore black hoodies and sweatpants all the time. So i took her shopping once and now she's basically my model.

PJiyeon: Yes. 

YInna: Sorry i didn't mean to get sidetracked so much, but tell us about your album

PJiyeon: Sure. My album was sort of a "Coming of age ceremony" so it was a little ier than many of my other songs. 

YInna: I noticed that, when i saw her music video first, i was blushing madly because you were so cool. I'm seriously so impressed at how well you dance. 

PJiyeon: Thanks i got a lot of help, I had a famous choreographer Bae Yoonjung work on it

YInna: Wow, no wonder, sometimes when i was bored i would get my jacket and start doing your famous "bat dance". It wasn't a pleasant sight. 

PJiyeon: haha unnie. I'm sure you were good. You're so pretty

YInna: Well i think i look better recently do you know why?

PJiyeon: haha why?

YInna: Nature Republic. A natural brand for cosmetics, that saves the environment and is healthier for your skin. We'll be back after this ad.

… 7.9.2014

Pov: Tv show

“Introducing all the way from the NBA Daniel Choi!” The announcer stated as the handsome 6’2 young man appeared onto the stage.

In front of the stage was a large outdoor court constructed specifically for the broadcast. Around that court was thousands of people all surrounding the small barriers watching earnestly.

“And Korea’s Pride Seo Janghoon!” The announcer called as a 6’9 giant appeared who was famous for his many variety show appearances now.

He shook the shorter young mans hand and they seemed to share inaudible words smiling.

“Today we are happy to host Idol Practice Camp. Where you as the fans get to see your favorite idols learn from the very best!” Music began to play as from behind the stage other idols could be heard entering.

“Let’s welcome Exo’s Sehun, Kai and Chanyeol!”

Girls screamed as the three handsome young men entered the stage. 

“Next let’s welcome SNSD’s Tiffany and Hyoyoon!”

This time it was a large male crowd that cheered.

“Welcome BTOB Sungjae, 2am Jinwoon, and GOT7 Jackson.”

More cheering as three more handsome men entered.

“Finally, AOA Seolhyun, and Girls Day Yura!” 

The 10 idols all wore white T-shirts and blue shorts as was the Maverick’s colors.

“These idols will try and brave through the harsh practice of a real NBA player and then at the end will divide into two teams, and play a quick scrimmage. All of this taught by the Basketball Idol and his assistant Coach Seo Janghoon!” 

Daniel had only agreed to this one variety show, he wouldn’t have to do a lot of talking and he’d get to meet many of the star idols his sister and him had admired.

Already he had to admit some of the male idols looked more intimidating than him. 

He watched as all 10 idols lined up in front of the stage. He scanned each one of them, 5 handsome tall men, and 5 beautiful women.

“Anything you want to say?” Daniel asked Janghoon who was standing silently behind him. 

The tall man laughed as he urged him forwards. “No, not at all coach.” 

Daniel chuckled.

“Ok, to begin practice I always do what we call ‘dynamics’.” His voice echoed through the speaker system. 

There was a translator on the side just in case he didn’t know something, but the translator was confused too.

“You’re going to do one stretch to one side of the court and do another stretch to the other side of the court. I’ll demonstrate.” He began to swing his legs up as he stretched every few steps. They all nodded in agreement as a cameraman followed him closely.

“And start, um we’ll have Jinwoon-si start.” He pointed at the strong idol who seemed the most experienced. Jinwoon smiled and nodded as he led the stretches.

When they had finished that they all lined up again. 

“Next, is dribbling, everyone is going to need a partner for this one.” He explained as the idols all broke up into pairs. Thankfully there was enough girls and guys that they didn’t have to mix. 

“How this is going to work as Coach Seo will demonstrate is he will dribble down the court and I will play defense.” He beckoned for the tall man to begin dribbling as he stood on the end of the court closest to the stage and began dribbling. Daniel got into a defensive stance and slowly backed up.

“Your goal as the dribbler is to get past the defender and score a basket on the other side, your goal as the defender is to not let that happen. This is good for something called ‘fast breaks’.” The translator corrected whatever Korean words he had misspoke and everyone nodded. 

Daniel nodded for Seo Jang hoon to begin dribbling so they could demonstrate and as he did Daniel quickly swiped the ball from his hand.

Daniel chuckled.

“Are you sure you played basketball?” The audience laughed, and the idols did too as Seo Janghoon couldn’t help but crack a smile. 

“Wow, you’re funny.” 

Daniel then nodded for the idols to repeat the drill going two groups at a time.

Sehun and Chanyeol who had matched up together, Sehun on defense and Chanyeol dribbling were on one side. 

While Hyoyoon and Tiffany who had matched up were on the other side.

Daniel paced around as he watched Chanyeol struggle to get past Sehun because of his obvious movements.

“Hold on a second.” Daniel came over to them and they both paused.

“You need to ‘sell your fakes’.” He paused thinking of a better way to explain. “Make them believe you are going one way, misdirection.” 

He showed an example of a misdirect dribble as he easily dribbled past Sehun.

“Wow, you’re good.” Sehun commented staring in awe at him.

Daniel wanted to compliment how handsome he was. Tell him he wasn’t surprised Jiyeon seemed to like him, but he kept that inside.

He then continued pacing as the second groups began.

AOA Seolhyun was dribbling with Girl’s day Yura defending.

He nodded as he watched them and Got7 Jackson and Exo’s Kai took the other side.

He was extremely impressed by Jackson as he broke through Kai’s defense and then suddenly stopped to stare at him.

“Was that good?” He asked goofily, he had a raspy but deep voice.

“Very good, besides the stopping.” Daniel laughed as he poked out the ball from the rapper’s hands. “Go score!” 

Jackson took the ball back and broke through Kai again and layed the ball into the basket. Kai scratched his head somewhat embarrassed as he smiled.

Then the last group Jinwoon and Sungjae began. 

Jinwoon easily beat Sungjae down the court and made a lay up.

The partners switched again and Daniel nodded as they came back helping a few idols with some small fixes.

He then moved onto the next drill. 

“So you practiced dribbling, now we are practicing shooting.” He stated. “We will be splitting into two teams everyone rock paper scissors with your partner.” 

Daniel watched as they formed two teams between the winners and the losers. 

“Each team will compete to make 10 shots at 4 different spots.” 

He placed a cone near the basket, then he placed a cone near the free throw line, then placed another one at the three point line at the top, and finally placed one at the corner.

“These spots will be, layup, free throw, top of the key three pointer, and corner three.” 

He pointed to each spot respectively.

“You will take turns in year team attempting the shot, and the first team to make 10 shots at each spot wins. The losing team will have to run.”

He noticed some worried expressions on the female idol’s expressions.

“Except for the girls.” He commented after. The crowd began to laugh as Seo Janghoon placed his hand over his shoulder.

“You’re a charmer too.” Janghoon replied. “Good response.”

The male idols laughed as they all got into their respective teams.

He watched them shoot and noticed that Yura kept throwing the basketball and missing. He watched as she got in line to shoot and then, tapped her.

She paused as he came around her and placed his hands on each arm. 

He straightened her shoulders and fixed her grip on the basketball. 

He could see that the attractive idol was blushing as he did. He then brought her arms up and showed her a better way to shoot. 

“Like this.” He demonstrated. She followed, and her next shot hit the backboard and feel into the net.

“Wow!” Yura exclaimed as she jumped up.

“Cool as usual. I thought I was watching a basketball drama.” Janghoon teased them. 

“She’s blushing.” Seolhyun added on.

They finished that drill and Kai, Jinwoon, Chanyeol, Yura, and Tiffany won.

The other team lined up on the baseline of the basketball court.

“When I whistle, the other team of Sehun, Jackson, and Sungjae will run to the other side and back twice.” He called out. 

He whistled and they did, sweating as they all gathered together.

“Good work, to end were going to have a scrimmage with the two teams we already have formed. I will coach this team and Seo Janghoon-si will coach the other team.” He pointed towards the team that had just run.

They all cheered as they got into their teams.

“Ok, were going to have Seolhyun and Hyoyoon be our guards. Then we will have Sehun as the center and Sungjae and Jackson on the corners.” They all nodded somewhat understand what he was saying. 

“Seolhyun, your dribbling is very good, you bring the ball down and be the point guard.” Seolhyun smiled cutely at the compliment.

“Hyojoon Sunbae, you were very good at shooting, you are going to be shooting guard. When you are open shoot the ball.” He nodded at her and she smiled as well.

“Sungjae and Jackson, moved around and confuse them, if you two keep setting screens for each other then they will be lost on defense. Whenever Sungjae sets a screen run to the basket after ok?” Jackson nodded as well as Sungjae.

“Sehun, just be tall.” He joked. Sehun nodded chuckling as well.

“Ok, team let’s go!” 

“Wow, so charismatic!” Sehun cheered him on.

The game started and Sehun took the ball to start. Jinwoon the other teams tallest player matched up with him. Daniel watched as Jackson and Sungjae set a screen for each other. Seolhyun who was confused by the jumping up and down of Yura threw the ball to Hyoyoon. She seemed to notice that Jackson was open and passed him the ball.

He shot the ball and scored 3 points.

“Wow, good coaching, a screen. Did you teach them that?” Janghoon asked jokingly.

“No. I just have better players.” Daniel joked back. The audience laughed again at the banter between the two coaches.

The other team gave Jinwoon the ball and he easily overpowered the small Sehun and scored.

3-2.

Daniel watched his team repeat the process. This time Hyoyoon passed the ball to Sungjae again and this time when the other players came to block him he passed it back to Hyoyoon. She took another shot and made it.

5-2

“Nice!” Daniel cheered as he stared at Janghoon. “It’s over, I have the best player right there!” He pointed at Hyoyoon who pointed back giggling.

The game went on for another 5 minutes and the score became 12-8. There was one minute left in the game.

“Time out.” Daniel called. All five players were exhausted and sweaty.

“Ok, now were going to run a different play, Seolhyun once the game starts run to the corner. Sehun and Sungjae are going to both set a screen for you. You need to run shoulder to shoulder with them. Like let your shoulder graze theirs.”

“Like this?” She bumped into Daniel’s shoulder and grinned cheekily. 

“Yes, exactly like that.” He responded to the girls flirting.

“Then, I want you Hyoyoon-si to pass her the ball. If you score this we will win the game for sure. I believe in you Seolhyun-si.”

They all cheered and went back into the game. Seolhyun immediately ran to the corner and ran through the screens her teammates set and was passed the ball. She was wide open and took the shot. The ball swished in the net, and everyone cheered.

The other team tried to score and missed. The game ended.

Daniel told his managers to all rush the court, and they all ran to Seolhyun cheering. 

“Wow, you’re acting like you won a championship!” Janghoon joked. 

“We did!” Daniel responded back. “Thank you to all the idols today who participated, and I have a special gift for the winners.”

5 managers appeared with Maverick Jersey’s with his signature on them. The idols all cheered as the losers sighed in disappointment. 

“I’m kidding, I have one for everyone.” Daniel reveled another 5 Jerseys and they began to clap too.

… 7.10.2014

KOREABOO: Daniel Choi and Seo Janghoon team up for Idol Practice Camp

July 10th, 2014

After a week of hosting basketball practice camps for young kids aged 12-18 in Seoul and Busan, Daniel Choi finished his short tour by hosting a television program with Korean basketball legend Seo Janghoon called Idol Practice Camp.

Male Idols: BTOB Sungjae, GOT7 Jackson, 2am Jinwoon, EXO’s Sehun, Kai, and Chanyeol. 

Female idols: AOA’s Seolhyun, Girls Day Yura, and SNSD’s Hyoyoon and Tiffany

The camp began with some drills that he taught each of them to help them improve. The first drill a dribbling drill got to let us see him easily beat our poor EXO Chanyeol down the court. 

The second drill a shooting drill allowed our hearts to explode when he helped Girls Day Yura learn how to shoot. He placed his arms around her and showed her how to do it properly. I felt Yura as she blushed as the tall handsome player helped her. How could you not?

Then there was a practice game where there was all smiles as he praised both AOA’s Seolhyun and SNSD’s Hyoyoon. We can’t help but think that he is such a charmer.

Of course the other male idols just seemed in awe of the professional player as he gave them pointers and tips to improve.

After the filming, both EXO’s Sehun and Got7’s Jackson posted picture’s posing with the basketball oppa in their newly won Choi 21 jerseys. Which for me was just too much handsomeness to handle for my fangirl heart. 

Girl’s Day Yura also posted a picture taken of her with his arms helping her, commenting: Thanks for the pointer’s #Choi21fighting. 

Unfortunately for unknown reasons Daniel Choi will only be staying for two more days and has not announced any scheduled events before he leaves. He’ll likely be taking the much needed rest and time to explore everything Seoul has to offer.

What did you think of the surprisingly charming Daniel Choi?

////////////////////

Top Comments:

“handsome, athletic, smart, charming, can the list get any longer? I was so caught off guard but how charismatic he was on the broadcast and wish he did more variety shows so we could all see our Basketball idol shine.”

“I wasn’t expecting much and thought that Seo Janghoon appearing might take away from him, as Janghoon is very funny. But the spotlight was on Daniel Choi the entire time. To me, he was just like the other idols, good on Camera and very charming.”

“I had seen one or two interviews he had done, but seeing him on TV I fill in love. I think he has no flaws. I wish him only good things as he continues his career in the NBA.”

Jiyeon had of course watched not only the broadcast but read all of the articles as well. She hadn’t been offered to participate in the show, which while disappointing, she knew she wouldn’t have accepted either. It would be too much. Too hard to stay strong.

She had thought about sneaking in to see one of his camps, but in the end she was too busy with her own schedule. She was filming a drama, and working to promote her single.

Besides, at this point she couldn’t risk another scandal. Not after the last one, she had received so much hate male from every EXO fan that existed that her CEO had been forced to withdraw her from any events that had EXO in it.

Daniel on the other hand seemed to be doing well. She knew he was still disappointed in his season, but seeing him on TV she saw the man she wanted to keep safe.

The young man who had charmed his way into her heart had charmed his way into the heart of thousands of Koreans. It was a tough watch, the way he would sometimes flirt with the other idols, it bothered her. She sometimes wondered if he’d end up falling in love with another idol.

…7.11.2014

Daniel was wearing a mask and a hat as he stood in the middle of the crowd. The countdown THE SHOW would begin soon and he sat next to his sister Jenny who was thrilled. 

To be honest he had come because of an invitation from Girl’s Day Yura who had asked for his Kakao after the performance. He hadn’t planned on spending his last day attending a music show, but his sister had begged him and he gave in, when he realized what it meant.

He wished Jiyeon was performing, but of course she had finished her comeback already. She was a host along with Girl’s day Hyeri, he saw her enter on the stage. She wore his Blue NYU hoodie along with a black skirt underneath. She looked stunning.

“Hello everyone I’m T-ara’s Jiyeon.” Jiyeon introduced.

“And I’m Girls Day Hyeri.” Hyeri introduced after.

“Today on the show Hyeri will actually be performing, so I will be MCing alone.” She made a fake crying face. Daniel thought his heart might explode.

The show began and Girls Day impressed him and the whole crowd with their performance of “Darling”. 

“Everyone performed very well, but my fellow co host and friend Hyeri and Girl’s Day won 1st place tonight!” The crowd cheered as Girls day jumped up and down happy.

He sneaked to the back after receiving a text from Yura to come and he was allowed in by the security after the Girl’s Day manager came to get them.

“Hello! You’re Daniel Choi right?” A pretty girl stopped him. She had a cuteness to her that somewhat reminded him of Jiyeon slightly.

“My name is Son Naeun.” She continued, her voice was soft. 

“Apink Son Naeun!” His sister suddenly exclaimed. “I’m a huge fan!”

“Ahh, thank you.” She pushed her hair behind her ear as she stared nervously at the ground. “Could I, get you Kakao talk by chance?”

Daniel nodded he didn’t see why not. “Sure.”

Suddenly a bunch of other voices squealed in the background as he noticed a group of 5 other pretty girls in pink outfits encouraging their member.

He passed her his phone, and she typed in her username.

“Wow, I like your wallpaper.” She commented. He cursed silently as he remembered that he still had not changed it from Jiyeon’s dream high picture.

“Thanks.” He replied chuckling. “Um, I’m a big fan of hers.”

“Really? We’re close. Wait unnie!” She suddenly called out, and he saw Jiyeon removing her microphone in the distance. He needed to leave before anything became awkward.

“ahh, I see. Well it was nice meeting you.” Daniel diverted the conversation as he suddenly pushed his sister one direction. “I’m kind of busy sorry.”

They quickly walked forward, as he hoped that she had not seen him.

“Wow, you should really change your wallpaper oppa.” Jenny commented.

“I guess so.” He replied goofily as he scratched his nape nervously checking behind him to check that she wasn’t there.

He finally found the Girl’s Day dressing room and entered in as they a cheered. 

“Hello, Basketball oppa.” Hyeri called out cutely. He blushed slightly.

They were fun to be with, they teased each other and make jokes constantly. They even taught him some Korean slang as he and his sister enjoyed their company.

However, he couldn’t deny that he thought of Jiyeon the whole time. Had she seen him? Should he have stayed and met her again? Why didn’t she try and talk to him?

He thought of the last words she had said before he left. He thought of how she had hurt him. 

He wasn’t ready to meet her yet. He wanted to climb higher. 

… 9.12.2014

SOOMPI: T-ara makes giant comeback with Sugar Free inspired by EDM

September 12th 2014

T-ara returned with a EDM inspired track and Hyomin and Qri took the spotlight. After much of the spotlight has been placed on the group’s Maknae for her uniquely beautiful apperance, it is easy to forget that the group has talent all around. The six member line up stunned viewers as they performed totally in synch.

The quick beat combined with the powerful voices of the group made a for an epic music video. 

There first appearance will be on Music Bank tonight and we will see whether they will take their first win.

The album hit number 2 for Gaon weekly charts and Number 5 on the US’s international billboard. As well as hitting the top of China’s billboard in a day.

… 10.1.2014

ESPN report: NBA releases controversial trailer for upcoming season with Daniel Choi in it despite his likely appearance in development league.

… 10.30.2014

KOREABOO: T-ara wins 1 competition locally and begins promotion of Sugar-Free in China, after sustained success in billboards there.

October 30th, 2014

T-ara despite a strong comeback fails to win more than one award for their new SUGAR-free single. Album has success, but fans seem to have moved onto new groups. There is a strong belief that this is the reason much of the next quarter’s promotions will be held in China. And & End hit the Chinese billboard peeking at two. 

T-ara promoted on several variety shows the team’s most popular members, Hyomin, Eunjung, and Jiyeon appeared several times on TV. However, even with this Korea seems to have moved on from T-ara, Red Velvet likely taking their place in many fan’s hearts.

T-ara will promote in China until the next year at least as T-ara’s Jiyeon ends her hosting of SBS’s the Show with a steamy performance of Trouble maker. Zhou Mi her partner gave his comments during a final interview.

“I would be lying, if my heart didn’t skip many times as I hosted alongside such a pretty flower. I wish her all the best as she promote’s in my home country.”

Like EXO’s Sehun do you think he also has fallen for the Maknae’s beauty?

… 11.20.2014

ESPN report: Daniel Choi continues to thrive in the NBA development league averaging 20 points and 8 assists as Mavericks might return him to their roster.