ii Chapter 3: (2015)

No Longer a Coward

…10.6.2015

Daniel crashed on his couch exhausted as soon as he arrived back at his apartment. His agent entering behind him. 

“Hell of a job there! I knew I picked the right client.” Mike remarked. Daniel wasn’t really listening his hair still wet from the shower he had taken after the game. 

“Thanks.” 

“You want me to order you food? Jajangmyeon?” Mike inquired.

Jajangmyeon did sound good right about now. 

“Sure.” Daniel responded weakly in Korean. “and mandu (dumplings) too.”

“I’ll go order it and have them drop it off to you, I’m guessing you want some space after seeing how tired you are.” 

Mike read his mind. To be honest Daniel wanted to be alone at the moment. He had already refused Eric and Jungsuk’s request to eat with them, because of how tired he was.

“Just remember you have practice tomorrow and a game in 4 days in Changwon against the LG Sakers. You’ll take the team bus and stay at a hotel that night and then return to Seoul after.” His agent explained. 

Daniel nodded. His schedule wasn’t quite as packed as in the NBA. Fortunately and unfortunately, they wouldn’t be doing much plane rides. It was cool flying in a private jet, don’t get him wrong. But flying so often and airport security was a pain.

“The food will be here in ten minutes. I’ll see you tomorrow to take you to practice.” Mike waived goodbye and then Daniel was left alone. 

He rolled back against the couch cushions. His long legs sticking out from the couch not built for NBA players. He reached into his pocket and took out his phone. 

He typed T-ara “So crazy”. It was the only way for him to see Jiyeon…

There was a recent performance at the Hallyu Dream Festival. Despite their lessened popularity it had 20 million views. 

All of them dressed in y sailor uniforms, a combination of legs, and slender bodies flaunted to the crowd. 

Seeing Jiyeon stand at the center, she looked so beautiful. In her shoulder length brown hair, it hurt him so much as he wished desperately she was by his side. 

He wished he could hold her in his arms, her cute low voice praising him for his performance. He had after all put on the show hoping that Jiyeon would notice. 

He had seen several idols appear on the large billboard screen during the course of the game. His teammates had been talking about all of the beautiful female idols in attendance. Unfortunately, he hadn’t heard Jiyeon’s name.

He was at the pre chorus, Soyeon and Jiyeon both hitting high notes to lead into the chorus.

Their cute dance becoming the sole focus of Daniel’s attention. Their dance wasn’t flashy like many of the popular girl groups now. But they were simple yet, attractive. That was why he liked Jiyeon so much. The way even in her simple dance moves she garnered so much attention, her beautiful large eyes staring seductively towards you. 

She had caught his attention that day in Las Vegas, and had stood out to him ever since. 

He almost fell asleep listening to the song as he just lay on the pillow. However, the doorbell quickly woke him up as he remembered how hungry he was.

He devoured the food quickly his eyes still glued to the screen in front of him. He was reading articles about him, about Jiyeon, about other idols. 

Suddenly his phone quickly blinked to a video call. He quickly answered it.

Good job Daniel!” His parents voice rang out from the phone as he could see both of his parents likely sitting awkwardly on their sofa in front of what could’ve been a laptop.

Jenny showed us how to watch your games online, we’re both so proud of you.” His mom explained.

Daniel grinned, he was truly thankful how supportive they had been of him. He was happy to see them both looking at him with proud expressions.

You looked like you were having fun son. I don’t think I ever saw that from you when you were in the NBA.” His dad was the one to chime in this time.

“Thanks omma, appa. I really do enjoy living here.” He answered.

You’re not too homesick are you?” His mom questioned, her usual worry flowing from the phone.

It was true sometimes he was homesick, the fact that he almost never could speak English anymore was hard. But it was becoming easier for him, as he grew more and more accustomed to his new living environment.

“Are you both doing ok there? With Jenny gone too.”

It’s hard not to worry when both your kids leave the house. But we know you’re both in good places and Jenny comes back to stock up on food most weekends. You know she misses us just as much as we do her.”

Daniel grinned thinking about his sister. She was always her mom’s favorite child. Funny how it worked out, while he was the highest academic achieving child, it was his sister who had embraced the Korean culture side first. 

Daniel regretted how much he often he had left the house and stayed over at his friend’s house anything to get away from his family. That’s why he was comfortable knowing that his sister would keep his parents company even while he was half way across the world in Korea. 

“I miss you omma.” He spouted out of the blue, he barely said things like that.

Of course you do. No matter what happens you can always come home.”

Daniel felt his anxieties ease out at that moment. He had a place to return to, if he truly never achieved what he wanted he had somewhere he could return to. 

It made taking risks easier, it made shooting for the stars that much relieving. No matter what happened Daniel wouldn’t waiver his dream.

… 10.7.2015

SOOMPI: Basketball Idol makes his debut, and haters disappear instantly. 36 points for Daniel Choi as Sk Knights win 108-75. Even better he’s a little cocky.

October 7th 2015

Samsung Thunder player Joo Minkyu whispers into Daniel Choi’s ear. “You can’t score on me.”

The basketball idol thinks for a second before cooly telling him. “Tonight I was planning on scoring 30 points, because your jersey number is 6. I’ll score 6 more.”

And Daniel Choi keeps his promise. After some playful banter Daniel Choi scores 36 points to lead the SK Knights over the Samsung Thunder 108-75. Every second, except the ones he wasn’t playing, was must see TV. 

While a few fans wondered whether he had gone overboard with the playful teasing, most like me found his cockiness appealing and emulating a very American bad boy vibe. Overall he’s hot.

I’ll be honest, I’m no means an expert on basketball, but the NBA wasted his talent. The way he shoots the basketball so cooly and calmy. The way he cutely bites his jersey revealing his abs when he misses a shot. Everything makes for a perfect performance. 

Though the 8 million viewers on MBC Sports, probably did not experience the same magical experience as the 7,000 of us who saw the game live did. There was an outpouring of love for him. SK Knights game became the number one trending search on the all media outlets.

Many idols appeared to show their fellow idol their support. While busy groups like Red Velvet and HELLOVENUS showed their support on social media, showing pictures of them watching on the TV. 

Many celebrities were also in attendance, the SK Knights showed many on the billboard. GOT7’s Jackson and JB were among attenders, along with EXO’s Kai and Sehun, CLC and Girl's Day. However, some others in attendance included, T-ara’s Jiyeon, 9muses Kyungri, Simon Dominic, Monsta X’s Shownu, 2pm’s Taecyon and many others that didn't reveal themselves.

Seo Janghoon a notable SK Knights alumni and current well known entertainer, was also seen shaking hands with Daniel as they reunited for the first time since thier meeting during the Idol Practice Camp show. 

Welcome Daniel Choi, Korea’s next big thing. He has finally debuted and with all of Seoul’s Sk Knight’s games sold out, it doesn’t look like he’ll be falling anytime soon.

Any other celebrities you noticed on the broadcast? What do you think of our brand new Basketball oppa?

/////////////////

Top Comments: 

“It’s clear to me, male idols beware. Daniel Choi is here to stay and his confidence and charisma is taking every female idol’s hearts. With Son Heungmin on the rise, it seems like Korea’s sports future is these two young men. I’ve never seen so many idols at an event that wasn’t a Countdown show. I’m glad this seems to be uniting all the fandoms together as they cheer him on.”

“I saw the broadcast on TV and I wished so badly I was there in person. It was ridiculous how small that arena is. I need to see one game, but they’re all sold out. :(“ 

“In person, you don’t realize he’s so tall. He looks smaller compared to some of the other players. But, don’t worry… he’s as handsome as they say. The abs are no joke. He was in such good shape."

… 10.10.2015

Sports Korea: SK Knights defeat LG Sakers 101-85. Daniel Choi plays 30 of 40 minutes but still has 29 points. LG Sakers fill out entire arena of 8,000 capacity for the first time. 

… 10.12.2015

KOREABOO: Daniel Choi knows how to make the fans love him, cute interactions with Hello Venus Visual Kwon Nara have fans charmed.

Basketball Idol Daniel Choi has 30 points and 10 assists in win with SK Knights over DB Promy 100-98. The main event at the stadium was the live performance of Hello Venus’s single Wiggle Wiggle during the half time show. 

The rest of the team was seen watching the performance and while his teammates couldn’t keep their eyes off the girls. Daniel Choi was seen cutely putting his hand to cover his eyes and his teammate Yoonbin’s eyes when they began to “wiggle” in their direction. 

Noticing it, Kwon Nara the confident visual center of the group grinned at him and added made a beckoning motion with her pointer finger. Daniel responded with his own handsome smile and then a confused shrug pointing to himself, then glancing over at his teammates as they all laughed. 

Clearly charmed by him. Kwon Nara later posted a picture on her SNS with animated hearts in her eyes. Commenting: Cheering for Choi oppa! #skknightsfighting

The post was well received by fans, despite some jealous fans. And we wonder if love might blossom between the visual center and the star basketball player.

When asked in a later press conference about the interaction he responded avoiding the question and only grinned mischeviously and chuckled at the reporter responding. 

“She’s pretty cute." 

I for one am shipping the two, but Nara will have to compete with the hearts of many other Female idols who constantly show their support for the basketball idol. 

9 Muses Kyungri has also attended both home games and Girl’s Day Yura who came once with her group and a second time with just her manager have also attended the games. 

Daniel Choi must be the ideal type of many females all over Korea right now with his flashy skills and undeniable charm. Your thoughts?

///////////////////

Top Comments:

“OMG, I love them together. It’s a tough competition though. I think his somewhat darker American look and Bad boy Vibe goes well with the y and mature look of Nara or Kyungri. Imagine being able to go to all of his games and cheer as his girlfriend. It's so dreamy."

“I think he looks great with either of them. But I would hope he stays single for now so he can focus on his playing career. But then again with such attractive girls pursuing him I would imagine it’s damn near impossible.”

“Is no one going to talk about the pictures that keep being released. Someone took a picture right when he lifted his jersey. He’s so damn fit. I think even Shinee’s Minho would agree. Chocolate bars.”

… 10.20.2015

Jiyeon sat on her apartment’s couch Apink’s Son Naeun sat next to her. She had also invited IU and Luna but they had upcoming comebacks coming up and were busy.

So she sat on her couch with her more recently added close friend Naeun. The game was taking place in Wonju so they were watching on the TV of her apartment. 

“Wow, my members are watching at a bar together.” Naeun commented as she stared at her phone. “But, I get to watch with my favorite unnie.”

Naeun leaned her tiny face into Jiyeon’s shoulder. They had grown close through their shared experiences as more quiet idols and through similar interests. 

Naeun who had been in a fake relationship with Shinee’s Taemin and Jiyeon who was currently in a fake relationship with Lee Donggun. They both bonded over the fact, that putting on fake smiles and blushing dramatically was something they had to learn.

Though Jiyeon had shared the truth about her relationship with Naeun, she hadn’t shared her history with Daniel. 

Naeun who she considered a close friend had told her many times she had a crush on the basketball player ever since seeing him in person. Which made Jiyeon feel some jealousy towards her.

Jiyeon couldn’t blame her. But it sometimes made Jiyeon feel guilt and pity towards her new friend.

“it’s going to start soon unnie.” Naeun a usually quiet idol was always excited by watching the basketball game. In that sense she was similar in many ways to Jiyeon. 

“Beer?” Jiyeon asked as she unwrapped the bag she had bought of fried chicken, then reached into her fridge to grab several cans of beer. 

“Yes please.” Naeun responded her eyes glued to the screen in front. 

She placed the food and drinks on the coffee table in front of them and watched as the teams were introduced.

“Is that Red Velvet near the court?” Naeun suddenly pointed out. Jiyeon squinted and noticed the four cute girls in Red outfits seated on the other side of the bench.

“Wow, it is.” Jiyeon answered. 

She thought Daniel was never the most handsome guy she had met, yet she forgot that his charisma and American manliness gave him a uniqueness among most flower boys. She had never expected so many female idols to seemingly fall for him. 

Sometimes. Sometimes… it bothered her.

“So lucky, I thought they finished their comeback, but they are probably performing for half time.” Naeun exclaimed.

“Probably.”

The game began as the referee threw the ball into the air. The SK Knights started with the ball as they ran down the court in their bright red Jerseys. 

The other team Wonju DB Promy had been the second best team in the KBL and were a tough team as Jiyeon had researched. 

Daniel held up a hand signal and his team began to run a play. He suddenly threw the ball up and the teams tall center dunked the ball. 

“Nice pass.” Jiyeon cheered.

The other team however, had a tall black player who was almost 7 feet tall. He was too tall for the SK knights to defend and easily scored.

Daniel took the ball down again and passed it to his teammate before faking and running towards the basket. He was passed the ball and he faked the shot. 

The tall center flew towards him. It was a foul.

Jiyeon remembered what he had told her. If the other team had a very good player he would try and make that player get too many fouls and leave the game.

“I hope he makes the free throws.” Naeun was already worried even at the beginning of the game, Jiyeon patted her on the head.

“It’s the beginning of the game, have some faith.” 

As half time approached, the game was neck and neck. 

43-45

The SK Knights led by two points.

Daniel had 12 points already. And hurled the ball down the court from his spot. The ball spun into the air towards the basket as he had thrown in easily from 20m away. However the ball hit the backboard and then bounced out of the rim. The buzzer sounded.

The crowd sighed a slight disappointment. Daniel shook his head as he bit down on the middle of his jersey raising it ever so slightly as to see the bottom of his renowned abdomen. 

Naeun was intently staring. Jiyeon giggled at the intense focus the cute girl had.

“I swear every time he does that my heart accelerates a little.” Naeun commented.

Jiyeon had noticed that there was even a fan compilation on YouTube now of every time he had done that on a broadcast. She wondered if he knew, that it was the equivalent of male idols raising their shirts for a steamy performance.

Red Velvet burst onto the middle performing their single “Dumb Dumb” as fans especially male fans cheered in excitement. 

After their performance their leader and visual took the microphone. “Hello, we are Red Velvet.”

The crowd cheered. 

“We just wanted to show some love to all of the fellow fans and show love to our fellow Basketball idol Daniel sunbae!” 

The whole crowd began cheering as the camera focused on the face of the handsome basketball player. He was grinning as he nodded and waived towards them. His teammate on the side made a heart with his hands.

Of course he was calm. He always seemed to be calm and collected. She wondered how he was always so strong, so unmoving. 

Seeing him there made her realize how much she missed him. How had two weeks together left such a lasting impression on her past three years. 

He was also someone who wouldn’t give up. Once he had his mind set on something he’d do whatever it took to accomplish it. 

 

“Look it’s a basketball game.” Jiyeon pointed towards the hoop set up with tiny basketballs set underneath it. The game attendant was scanning around as groups of people passed around looking for candidates to drag in.

Hanging around the game station were several KBL Jerseys a few NBA Jerseys. There were also stuffed animals. A penguin in particular caught Jiyeon’s eye. It was only for a moment. She looked away right after. The large fluffy animal wasn’t worth dreaming over. 

They had come to the amusement park, Lotte World, to have fun. 

What was one penguin? When there were rollercoasters and rides to experience. Daniel hadn’t ever been to Lotte World. 

Actually, he had told her he hadn’t been to an amusement park for some time. Almost 2 years since he was a senior in High School. When he was dating that b*tch. Not that Jiyeon was jealous of her or anything. There supposed daily outings during the summer, she wondered if he spent every minute with that girl...

“You want it?” He suddenly interrupted her jealousy.

“What?” She lied, her arm linked around his leading him away.

“The penguin. I’ll win it. It’s basketball.” He boasted, his lips forming a confident smile. Jiyeon smirked. 

“Ok. Then go win it for me.” She accepted his challenge. 

She had heard that these games were practically rigged against the player to ensure that no one actually won prizes. Sometimes she couldn’t lie, he could use something to humble him. The goofy boy was talented at almost everything, and didn't mind flaunting it at all.

Jiyeon ducked her cap more onto her face as she followed him back to the game station. 

Noticing Daniel approaching him, the game attendant quickly pointed towards him.

“You look tall, and wahh you’re handsome as well. Why don’t you give this a try? It’s only 5,000 won for 2 minutes to win. If you get 10 in you’ll win a small prize, he pointed towards the tiny plush animals,  20 in you’ll win a big prize, he pointed towards the jerseys and larger animals. If you beat the high score of 30 you’ll win that speaker up there.”

He pointed towards a new JBL speaker. At least a 50,000 won value.

Jiyeon however, was looking at the electronic sign set up on the top of the station. 

Daily High Score: 8

That was certainly not even close to the 10 required to win even a small prize. The hoop was also smaller than it looked, you almost had to perfectly toss the ball for it to go in. No wonder, they had such a big possible prize, the difficulty was deceivingly hard.

Daniel handed the attendant a 5,000 won bill before setting up.

Daniel’s eyes narrowed in on the hoop. There was a line about a meter away from the station. Daniel stood there and Jiyeon realized that the distance was farther than it seemed to be. 

For a second, looking into his eyes she could see a determination that surpassed anything she had seen in him before. It made her want to believe in him.

“Start in 3, 2, 1…”

Daniel grabbed the small basketballs and started shooting them towards the small hoop.

Miss

Miss

Make

Miss

“almost.” Jiyeon commented as one ball barely rolled out.

Make, make

Miss, miss, miss

When the time ran out Daniel had made 9, if even a basketball player couldn’t do it, it meant it really must be impossible. 

The high score billboard increased by one.

“Ahhh good try. Too bad. Maybe next time. Would you like to try again?” The attendant almost seemed to be taunting him to try again. 

Jiyeon stepped in this time. She quickly linked her arm around his and dragged him away. 

“Hey!” He exclaimed as he finally conceded and followed her.

“Those games are rigged for you to lose.” She argued. “It’s ok it’s really not a big deal.” 

Jiyeon spent the next hour with a seemingly demotivated Daniel, his eyes wandering off into some unknown place whenever she wasn’t looking at him. 

“Oppa, stop thinking about it, it’s really nothing.” She pleaded as he sat on a bench on the park. She leaned her head into his shoulder. It was a matter of pride she was certain of it.

“I still think you’re cool. That’s not even basketball really…” She tried to comfort him.

“Right. I know. It’s just the penguin.” So it was the penguin he was thinking about. For a second Jiyeon felt guilty, was this why he was so distressed?

“I’ll buy one online, or you can just buy one for me ok oppa?” She offered another solution to cheer him up. 

“Right. I think I saw some stuffed animals in the store back down there.” He pointed back towards a store in the distance. It was hard to see with the crowd of people congregating around rides and food stalls. 

“I’ll go buy one for you and be right back ok?” He suddenly proposed. Jiyeon willing to do whatever would salvage his emotions nodded her head. 

He slipped into the crowd as Jiyeon dipped her hat lower to hide her face. It frightened her at first the thought of being alone in such a crowded place. She knew that no one knew she even was in Korea. But there were so many people there. 

People meant cameras. Something Jiyeon feared more than anything. She could almost see an article popping up. Worse it could put Daniel in a bad spot if he was spotted too. 

5 minutes passed. Jiyeon wasn’t trying to be impatient, but the crowd was unnerving. Perhaps he was just in line. 

Another 5 minutes passed when she saw his tall figure stick out from the crowd. He didn’t look particularly happy, but he was definitely less disappointed. As he finally approached her, there was a stuffed animal cutely sitting on his shoulder. It looked strangely exactly like the one she had noticed at the game stall. 

“Is it?” She didn’t finished her statement.

“It was at the store, sorry there was a line to buy.” He assured her as he removed the large penguin from his shoulder and placed it into her outstretched arms. 

His face instantly changed as Jiyeon felt the soft penguin plunge into her chest. He was blushing. 

“What?” She asked purposely trying to act cute.

“Cute.” He commented staring directly at her.

“The penguin.” He laughed as he pointed at the stuffed animal. A frown formed on Jiyeon’s lips as he pat her on the head. “I’m kidding. Of course I mean you.”

Satisfied by his response, with one arm wrapping around the penguin, and the other wrapping around Daniel’s arm they continued their date. 

Jiyeon, of course. Had her suspicions still. Throughout the five rides they went on to ride, and even during the break they took to grab ice cream, Jiyeon couldn’t shake how similar the two penguins were. 

It wasn’t until they were leaving that Jiyeon spotted it. On the way out of the park, they passed by the same game stall. As she spotted the attendant there was a clear frown on his face as he seemed to spot her. No he was looking at Daniel. 

That’s when everything was confirmed. The space where the penguin had been hanging was empty and the electronic score board had a new high score:

32

Jiyeon had gone twice to Lotte World since that date. The high score still remained, at first it was just a reminder of his mischievousness and determination. But over time, she realized it was just evidence. Evidence of the time they had spent together.