ii Chapter 12: (2016) Confession

No Longer a Coward

… 9.14.2016

SOOMPI: DATING REPORT- T-ara’s Jiyeon and actor Lee Donggun have broken up

September 14th, 2016

 After about a year and 3 months of dating, the couple have broken up. Both agencies have confirmed the news. Releasing statements to explain.

After having a healthy relationship, both parties have decided to focus on their work and cannot find time to date. Both parties are on good terms and wish to remain as good friends.”

Though for much of the beginning of the year there were many speculations that the relationship was fake, I will speak for myself and say that I am sorry to hear the news. However, with the fall in popularity of T-ara’s Jiyeon in China I think this may be the best for still relatively young idol who we often forget is only 23.

Wishing both the best in their continued careers as Lee Donggun’s drama Gentleman of Wolgyesu Tailorshop continues to air and Jiyeon will be busy with her concerts through October along with T-ara’s scheduled comeback in November. The young idol is also currently the Spokesperson for the SK Knights, and will likely be attending most if not all of the home games.

Your thoughts on the couple’s breakup?

///////////////

Top Comments:

“OMG I always forget how young Jiyeon is, it feels like she’s been around forever. I am wishing her luck in her continued endeavors and I don’t think T-ara will end the way most believe. Jiyeon fighting!”

“I always thought the was a little much, but after seeing her act in the CF I think she would be perfect for someone younger. I hope it’s not actually our idol oppa Daniel, but I think the Bully Jiyeon is overrated.”

“I’m glad they’re broken up… finally that actor can date a real person instead of a bully like Jiyeon. Still can’t believe anyone is cheering for her and was disgusted to see her even act along such an oppa such as Daniel.

… 9.20.2016

Daniel watched the fancam for her last concert in China again for the 3rd time... Completely mystified by her. 

She wore his red 21 Jersey, except that it had been cropped so that it barely reached past the white bra she wore underneath revealing her slim figure. She looked well... y in the cropped jersey and matching white skirt.

In the video Jiyeon danced to one of T-ara’s original songs 'First Time'. She barely had any lines in the song, as it was at the beginning of her debut. But somehow she still stole the stage with her presence and aura.

The song itself talked about a how a person could make someone feel so happy and in love even if they were experienced with love. The lyrics from the singers perspective gushing how for the First Time I feel this way.

To him, that was Jiyeon. She was certainly not his first love, nor had he ever slept with her like he had most of his exes.

But to him, just her cute smile could make his fanboy heart pound so easily, her aura and even her voice able to bring him to his knees. 

To him, Jiyeon as a whole was the epiphany of the song to him. 

He was happy that her long overdue fake relationship was finally over. But at the same time it meant nothing. She had denied his love even when he had confessed so blatantly. Now he knew that no amount of success would ever convince her differently. 

Deep down he should’ve known that, known that Jiyeon wasn’t that type of person. But he had been so desperate. Desperate to get her attention… now every ounce of hope that he had ever held onto was extinguished.

Daniel stared at his phone, could he even text her again?

He had called her a coward… that was his final mistake.

Daniel remembered the way she begged him to stop. The picture still vivid in his mind, the scene still haunted him. So clearly rejected any possibility, that not even a strong imagination could see a scenario.

He had spoken to Jenny about it, and she had told him perhaps it was time to move on. 

Perhaps his love as a fan that had blossomed into what might’ve been an obsession was truly that… an obsession. He needed to give up.

Daniel had given up everything to come to Korea and had things not worked out so perfectly, this could’ve been a grave mistake. Now that everything except Jiyeon was working out, it still felt like a mistake. 

Should he take the offer to play in the NBA? His agent had told him even after one season in the KBL they had received an offer to play for a small amount of money. Nothing that compared to what he was making with endorsements here. But now he just wanted to leave.

He lay on his bed for pondering his emptiness, before his phone began to ring. He picked it up and slid it to speaker phone.

oppa.” It was Jenny. It was midnight in Seoul meaning it was 8 am in California. 

“yes?” 

are you not sleeping?”

“Nope, I’m just thinking. Why are you awake?”

“My class got canceled so I thought I’d call you. You’re just on your bed aren’t you?”

Daniel chuckled. 

“How’s sophomore year?” He asked trying to change the subject.

“Don’t change the subject.” 

“I don’t really want to talk about it.” 

Daniel sighed his mind already filled with billions of possibilities of how things might’ve changed if he had taken a different approach in the conversation.

Oppa, she rejected you. There’s nothing you could’ve done to change her mind. You really did everything.”

“I know… I just can’t help it.” He wondered when his obsession had began.

“It’s just, I never believed in destiny. But when I’m around her, I can’t help but think we’re destined.” 

I believe I’m destined with Sehun oppa.” 

All jokes aside oppa, I sometimes wonder what kind of passionate and fulfilling love story your past lives lived that you have such a tragic love in this life.”

Daniel chuckled at her statement.

“You’ve been watching too many dramas.” 

I can’t really go out now that I’m a mini celebrity now can I?”

Daniel grinned at the thought of people following his sister around. 

“Really?” 

Of course everyone Asian in Irvine knows who you are, and even some Koreaboos. I think 100 people ask about you everyday.”

“Sorry.” He didn’t mean to be a bother to his sister in that way.

No it’s fine, I have my close friends, and though they also may have crushes on you, they hide it for my sake.”

“I’ll have to thank them one day and again… I’m sorry.” He apologized again.

Oppa, you let me go to Korea with you. You let me meet all of my favorite idols through you. I even can say I have Got7’s Mark on Kakao talk because I met him through you.”

“Ya! You better not be flirting with any boys.” He scolded her as could hear her giggle over the phone.

“What is only my handsome oppa allowed to flirt with idols?” 

“Of course.” They both laugh as he grins. 

Well you should get some sleep.” She pauses. “Daniel, I know it’s hard to hear. But I really think you should pursue your own happiness, whatever that is… don’t wait for Jiyeon unnie.” 

Daniel knew she was right. He needed to start making steps to create his own happiness. 

The problem was all of his dreams, they always included being with Jiyeon, together... 

Was there another dream?

… 10.7.2016

SPORTS Korea: SK Knights play in first game with 7 million concurrent viewers and a packed crowd. Daniel Choi plays poorly but SK Knights rally back to win over Anyang KGC 115-108 Daniel Choi has 10 points and 8 assists.

Jiyeon followed Jooyoung off the court after posing for several photographers. 

As the spokesperson it was her job to be at as many home games as possible sitting court-side to cheer for the team and post in support. She wasn’t given any particular requirements, but they asked if she could wear red colors, so she just wore Daniel’s jersey over a t-shirt and jeans.

She posed for one last picture hugging the mascot, before leaving with Jooyoung. As she did unintentionally she found herself locking eyes with Daniel. They had been catching each others gazes the whole game, it was unintentional, as Daniel always turned away when they did. 

Jiyeon saw it. Saw the pain in his eyes when he saw her. He was distracted the whole game, and played especially poorly. 

Sweating and upset she wanted to comfort him, instinctively she grinned trying to cheer him up… but what returned was a cold and indifferent expression as he ignored her and walked towards one of his teammates.

Despite all of that, despite his cold glare, despite his poor performance, Daniel was someone she felt like she could watch play basketball for hours. 

Granted she could probably just watch him stand there and do nothing for hours. 

But, being able to sit court side and watch his game so close, had been a dream of hers. It was much more exciting, and seeing the tall men run up and down the court was enlightening on how athletic you really needed to be to play.

“Let’s go Jiyeon I’m getting a call from the CEO.” Jooyoung interrupted her train of thought.

“Ok unnie.” She followed her manager off the court and through the tunnel. 

Many of the teams employees smiled and thanked her for coming. Jiyeon couldn’t hide the grin she felt as she saw their support for her. 

“Hello?” Jooyoung was talking on the phone now. They both climbed into the black van that had been prepared for them by her agency.

Jiyeon lay on her seat, reclining it to the maximum. The image of his cold glare still fresh on her mind. It bothered her.

Did he hate her now?

He has every right. You hurt him. At least he’ll follow his own path now.

“There’s been a problem?” Jooyoung verbalized.

What was it now?

“I can check her schedule, but there’s not much time in October it might have to be later…”

“What? In three days?” She exclaimed. “Ok.”

Jiyeon stared at her manager with confused expression on her face. 

“What’s wrong?” Jiyeon wondered. 

What could possibly be so important that she had to be somewhere in 3 days.

“There’s a problem with Oricon, they need you to resolve the issue immediately.” Jiyeon didn’t understand.

“Why me?” 

“They’re not giving us any details, but Oricon has demanded you appear in Japan for a meeting otherwise they may stop promoting T-ara.” 

“What?” Jiyeon was stunned by this statement. 

What was going on?

“I don’t know the details but you leave in 3 days.” Jooyoung told her. 

… 10.9.2016

SPORTS Korea: SK Knights handily defeat KT Thunder, Daniel Choi redeems himself scoring 35 points and 6 3-pointers. Basketball idol to accept Order of Cultural Merit Award, the highest cultural award.

“We would like to present him with this years Order of Cultural Merit award.” A government official was talking as flash after flash of more than 50 cameras all had their visions on Daniel Choi who was standing center stage.

“Thank you.” He accepted the award taking it and shaking the officials hand. The crowd watching went into a massive applause the entire arena echoing with cheers.

Before returning to his place next to Jiyeon who stood behind him. She was wearing a red dress helping represent his team. 

Daniel who had just barely enough time to shower after he finished playing a game. Was now accepting a prestigious award that only the top entertainers, stars, and influencers ever even sniffed. He grinned at the crowd of photographers and held it proudly putting on his best smile.

Only that wasn't how he felt. He felt empty winning it.

Was there a point?

The award he wanted was right next to him. It almost felt like a tease. Like a sick joke played by the fates.

“Congratulations.” She whispered to him a genuine joy in it.

It was his first time hearing her voice after that conversation.

Even after two games he had tried his best to avoid her. His eyes had purposely refrained from wandering towards her.

Daniel didn't respond. His heart so in pain after all of what had happened. 

How could she act this way?

He was going crazy.

“Can we get a photo of the two representatives?”  

Daniel suddenly pulled her towards the center of the stage roughly and placed one arm around her as he held the medal up and Jiyeon smiled putting an arm around his waist.

For a second everything seemed to slow down. He had ignored the many flashes now as all he could think was about Jiyeon.

Was she comfortable with this?

Did she know how much this hurt him? 

Daniel felt her arm brush against his side. It made him tense. Flashes of light from the hundreds of cameras everywhere.

Cute couple.”

"Basketball couple!"

Daniel made a fake chuckle as he gently released her. 

Part of him didn’t want to admit it, but his releasing her was as much a symbol of their future as anything. It was over. His dreams of her. Everything.

Both exited the makeshift stage as he followed her into the tunnel. She was heading to her manager when he interrupted.

“I’ll see you at the next game?” It was friendly, more of a formality than anything. 

Jiyeon turned around her pupils bore into him.

“Actually I can’t be there. I have to go to Japan tomorrow to sort out an issue. But I’ll be back in a few days.” She responded frowning. 

Fake. She didn't want to see him. 

“Daniel. Good luck on that game though! Fighting!” Her voice completely an act along with her sheepish smile, It was almost too much for him. It upset him.

Was this how their destiny was? 

Continued awkward encounters where they would pretend they never knew each other?

Daniel walked away, he wondered if they might even interact like this at all in the future. The worst fears of his coming to fruition. 

He flashed back to when he was in LA, sitting soaking in the air. That moment so full of determination and hope, the moment he had decided to change his life forever and follow her to Korea. 

That moment, he had been naive. He had been stupid. 

Jiyeon… even now… even with all of Korea at his finger tips.

Jiyeon.

Jiyeon, he could never love her. 

… 10.11.2016

Jiyeon wasn’t sure what to think as she stood outside of the large wooden doors. The short flight felt like years as she pondered what had gone so wrong they needed her specifically to be there.

Jiyeon breathed out one last time. 

She followed her manager into the large executive room. 

There she found herself face to face with 5 men. The first was the Chairman of Oricon, then there was his son, a person she had seen watching her often, Hideki Saito. 

There was two other executives and what appeared to be a teenage boy, he was quite chubby and yet still wore an obviously expensive outfit. 

Suddenly she remembered him, he was the fan who had made a fuss about paying extra money to meet with them first and cutting hundreds of other fans in line.

What was he doing here? 

“It’s that .” The boy sneered in Japanese. “She’s the one who rolled her eyes at me.”

Jiyeon understood the situation now. She was being asked to apologize to him. He must’ve been the son of someone extremely important.

“I have never felt so disrespected in my life!” He whined angrily.

“We understand, and we have asked Miss Jiyeon-si to offer you a formal apology.” Saito was talking now. Before turning and doing his best to translate to her.

But Jiyeon waived him off. She understood the situation. She suddenly grabbed Jooyoung’s wrist and whispered into her ears placing something in her hands.

Then she turned back towards the boy.

“Sumimasen.” Jiyeon gave an apology that you would if you accidentally bumped into someone. Far from the humiliating apology she knew he wanted. 

“What did you say to me?” He stomped over towards her. His height no taller than her. Rage filling his face as he clenched his fist.

“Please translate this for me.” She was looking at a shocked Saito. The expressions of the other CEO’s just as shocked, completely expecting her to bow down to him.

“I apologize for being rude. But you were disrupting a professional fan meeting, and I do not believe I have done anything that would warrant such a shameful apology.”

“I don’t believe you want to continue on this path Miss Jiyeon.” Saito tried to reason with her. 

Jiyeon almost gave in. Seeing the disgusted faces of the CEO’s knowing this would undoubtedly create real issues in the future possibly the removing of T-ara from the Oricon charts.

You’re a coward Jiyeon. 

She couldn’t get his voice out of her head. At that moment, she thought back to her decision… why had she been so weak then? 

Suddenly a hand pushed her forward and she stumbled backwards.

“Who do you think you are?” He jeered. He pushed her again and she fell onto the floor. 

The fan chuckled. 

“I wouldn’t be so mad, but it was a nobody like you who did that to me. So I can’t allow this obviously.” He scoffed.

He suddenly kicked her and she rolled backwards. Jiyeon clenched her teeth. 

You’re a coward Jiyeon. 

She looked towards Jooyoung. Who nodded.

“Please forgive me.” This time she balanced herself and stood up. There was a look of satisfaction on the entitled face of the rich boy.

“I guess I’ll forgive you this time.” He replied haughtily.

“I’m sorry but I wasn’t talking to you.” She turned towards Saito and the executives. 

“My manager. Recorded this all onto my phone.” She pointed towards Jooyoung who revealed her phone screen which had the video setting on.

The CEO’s all gasped as even Saito stared in disbelief.

“I’m sure my millions of followers Korean and Japanese would not appreciate this video being posted.” She was speaking in Korean now.

Oddly enough Saito didn't hesitate to translate it for her to the executives.

“So I expect that not only will your threats not be carried out, but he will apologize to me now.” She threatened with a confident grin on her face.

Saito once again translated to the continued horror of the higher ups in room.

Immediately one of the CEO’s who she realized was the father of the boy grabbed the son and yelled into his ear. It was mostly curse words.

Completely humiliated and with no other choice, the boy bowed and apologized to her. His pride completely broken as he growled his fake apology. It was enough.

I’m not a coward. I’m not running away.

Jiyeon slowly got up as the other executives quickly left after Jiyeon promised to delete the video.

“Good job.” Hideki Saito remarked appearing in front of her in his improved Korean. “I am very impressed by how you handled it.”

“Really? I threatened your father’s company.” Jiyeon grinned as she said this.

“Yes, but I do not believe you were in the wrong.” He pointed towards the CEOs, they are high level investors and we as Oricon have no choice but to submit to.

Jiyeon bowed lowly to him. 

“Then I apologize for whatever trouble I might cause.” Jiyeon felt a little guilt. 

“No need to apologize, it’s not a huge deal, more of a pride issue that shouldn’t have happened in the first place. Could it be possible to have dinner then?”

“Sorry. I have a schedule.” Jiyeon lied. Well not exactly lied. She was technically busy.

“Ahhh, I see.” He nodded politely. He was always polite to her. Perhaps that bad feeling she had felt before was wrong. 

… 10.12.2016

The whole night all Jiyeon could think of was Daniel. The look of grimace he gave her. The way he seemed so upset by her. It hurt her more than she could ever admit.

The day hadn't much different. A time that was supposed to be spent relaxing became just an excuse to think about him. 

Could she live with it? 

She had told herself she was saving his career, his life, and her own career.

Or was I so used to running… that I didn’t know any other way? 

She was tired of running away. She had finally stood up to authority. She felt happy for the first time like a burden had been lifted off of her back.

Now I miss him. I miss him so goddamn much. 

What was holding her back?

“Let’s go back, I’m exhausted.” Jooyoung was holding her suitcase as she followed Jooyoung outside of the hotel. It was getting dark and they had to take a late flight back to Seoul. 

What if… what if she could imagine him waiting there for her. 

The image of his warm arms holding her. Like he had done after the photoshoot. The loving gaze he had for her before she had pushed him away for the final time.

That’s right I pushed him away.

She felt so much regret. He had always been there when she needed him. Always there to comfort her.

She reached for her phone unsure of what to say to him.

Should she text him?

The black van pulled up and the door slid open for her to leave to the airport.

Jooyoung had a call and left to check her phone. 

“One second. It's Oricon calling.” She answered the phone as Jiyeon nodded and entered inside the van left alone to think to herself. 

“One minute and she’ll be ready to go.” Jiyeon told the driver in Japanese as she stared at her phone.

“Water?” The driver asked as she took the bottle of water.

Jiyeon sat down her eyes glued to the screen his contact information already pulled up. 

Can I just call him? After all that?

A step of faith. She pressed the tiny phone icon of her iphone.

It was time to tell him. Tell him how me she loved him.

To take matters into her own hands. To let him know she wanted a life with him and seeing him gave her butterflies in her stomach even to this day.

The phone rang several times. 

No response. 

Had he blocked her? Was it because of her cold words back then?

Was it too late now? 

Stressed out she sipped on the water her hands shaking in worry.

Jiyeon was about to call again, her hand hovering over the button when the door closed.

Suddenly she felt a chill sent down her spine. 

Why did the water taste like that? 

Was it just the stress.

“Please keep it open, she’ll be here in a…” Jiyeon felt a pang in her chest. 

Something wasn’t right. No something was definitely wrong. The car was moving now without her manager in it.

It wasn't the stress. 

In a frenzy of emotions she pressed the call button again, her eyes immediately growing blurry. 

It was sent straight to voicemail this time.

“Daniel help…” She was choking,  burning at whatever had been in the water. She couldn’t breathe her head throbbing she collided back against the headrest. 

She had been poisoned.

She tried to move around, flailing her arms to hold some semblance of consciousness something wasn’t right. 

She looked at her driver, right then she realized he was clad in all black, a black mask and hat. 

No. Not when i was so close... not when i was about to finally confess...

“Who are you…” 

A bag was placed over her head as she realized she had never looked behind her. A hand clasping her face as she felt the world growing more and more cold. 

She couldn’t stay… awake…

Was she going to die?

Daniel… sorry 

I love you