ii Chapter 11: (2016) Truth

No Longer a Coward

… 10 days ago flashback

Daniel found himself standing with his sister in the Dongdaemun plaza. It was fairly crowded for being midnight, people coming out for walks and food. However, the view was breathtaking, and the ambiance a perfect reflection of Seoul. 

Directly in front stood a large bridge extending over a large river, with tall glass buildings all lit up on the other side, signifying Seoul’s economic boom and ever ongoing nightlife. The overhanging of the night sky contrasting beautifully with the buildings.

The Hangang river a constant in his ever changing life. Honestly, he enjoyed long walks here because often times he could relieve his past date with Jiyeon here. 

“Its beautiful.” Jenny gasped at the view, before chuckling as they both heard her stomach growl.

“But I’m so hungry.”

“Right this way.” Daniel led the way as if he were a tour guide. Daniel wore a mask and a black cap to cover his face and his sister wore a hoodie, still refusing to embrace wearing a mask.

Cutely citing before to him that the cafe incident had been a one time occurance. As usual Daniel couldn't argue. 

They passed by dozens of street vendors with an assortment of different Korean foods. A whole new world of eating that you could never experience in America. 

“Wow, that smells so good.” Jenny pointed at a shop serving Teokbokki. 

“Here. Get an order and some chicken from over there. You can practice your Korean before you leave.” Daniel ordered his sister, he handed her his wallet.

“Yes oppa. Funny how the sibling who absolutely hated speaking Korean in public, is telling me to go practice mine.” She . 

Daniel shook his head in defeat as he beckoned for her to leave.

Daniel found himself just watching the large crowd of people. A realization dawned on him, as he finally understood what Jiyeon had feared when he had left her alone in Lotte World. 

At any point he knew hundreds of people could quickly rush over if he were to be revealed ending any possible outing. There was an abundance of couples there strolling along the river, it made him wonder if other idols were there secretly dating. 

He scanned the crowd absently mindedly wondering if he might recognize someone. 

That’s when he froze… it was him. He was sure of it. Or more like his eyes. Daniel had studied his face closely before comparing himself several times. Basically, he recognized him instantly. 

“Oppa. Here, the lady told me I was pretty and gave me more…” She noticed Daniel was preoccupied. 

“oppa what’s wrong?”

“One second. I promise” Daniel rushed towards the man and the women peacefully strolling like everyone else and grabbed him by the collar. 

“Ya!” The man stared at him before lowering his mask. It was Lee Donggun just as he had thought. But the girl was not Jiyeon. She looked familiar like perhaps an actress.

“Who the hell are you?” Lee Donggun questioned.

Daniel lowered his own mask.

“Daniel Choi?” The actress suddenly gasped. Daniel noticed she was in her early 30s, much closer to Donggun’s age.

“What the , does Jiyeon know?” Daniel interrogated Donggun in a hushed voice.

“I see now.” He suddenly grabbed Daniel’s hands and forced them off. 

“You’re the guy aren’t you. You’re the guy.” 

Daniel didn’t understand what he meant. 

The guy?

“What?”

“Jiyeon and I are in a fake relationship. She wanted to end it so I’m just waiting before we announce it publicly.” At his revealing, Daniel froze.

Daniel didn’t know what to say. He knew there were rumors, but it was actually true. Then he thought of Jiyeon’s words, it didn’t make sense. She told Daniel she liked her boyfriend.

“But she likes you.” Daniel justified his earlier conceptions.

Donggun chuckled again.

“Me? She never once liked me, she just did it for her career.” He explained. “Now if you’ll excuse me before we attract the whole world here, please let me date in peace.”

Daniel had no response. His whole world felt like it had turned upside down… but why was he surprised? All of the signs were there.

He was just too blinded by his jealousy and insecurity to see it.

“I’m Jo Yoonhee.” The actress bowed. “His co-star.”

Daniel slowly nodded again not really caring, before placing his mask over his face and heading back to his sister who was staring equally in shock. 

… 9.1.2016 Present.

“I know that it’s fake. I learned it recently.” He revealed confidently.

Jiyeon wondered how he had found out. Now she felt even more ashamed, she had lied to him and come up with excuses to stay away from him. He must hate her now.

“Oppa.” She gazed into his eyes. 

That moment was the turning point. 

Her last chance.

Admit her feelings and she could be happy again. She could have him all to herself a dream fulfilled.

They could fall in love again just as they had done all those years ago. Passionate lovers.

What would change?

No, this time everything was different. She could hide their relationship, she was sure of it. She could ignore everyone else and tune out everyone who told her it was a bad idea.

What would change? 

She took a breath. Why had she ever done this in the first place? What would their lives be like if she never rejected him. If he joined the NBA and she became his girlfriend. 

What could you do? What could you do to make him love you? 

What happens when his feelings change? When you’re not pretty to him anymore... what then?

He was still Daniel Choi the basketball idol with everything and she was still Park Jiyeon a failing idol. She had nothing to offer him.

She had made her choice long ago.

“What difference does my relationship being fake or not make? Huh? We can’t be together.” She wailed, slamming her fists against his chest, catching him off guard and he released her. She quickly stepped away from him not hesitating to leave him embrace.

“Jiyeon.” He pleaded, despair and desperateness riddled on his face. It was faint, but there was tears falling from the strong unmoving rock that had been his emotions.

“Why not?” He was begging her for an answer now.

“Because, we’re on different career paths.” 

The truth, he deserved it, even if it would hurt her. 

“You’re a rising star, do you know how much people love you?” 

“I know. Which means I can help you.” He reasoned.

She didn’t want his pity. 

“Daniel, I’ve accepted long ago.” 

“I’ve accepted that my career will end soon, the scandals, the fake relationship, it’s going to end soon.” 

It came out easier than she thought. She had fretted saying those words… the end. 

But what other choice did she have? 

He deserved the truth.

“Jiyeon don’t say that.” 

He was denying her own words now. Like a child deflecting the harsh reality that was being upon him.

“But, not you oppa. I can see that you’re going to rise to the very top even farther than I ever could have.” She smiled proudly looking at the star that had grown. 

Tears that mixed joy and sadness flowing down her face. An action that had became so frequent sometimes she didn’t even notice them anymore. 

“I’m so proud of you. Daniel I’m so so proud of you… but I’m not the same Jiyeon you fell in love with. I’m not strong like you. So you don’t have to take responsibility, even without us ever meeting.” 

She breathed out.

“Things would’ve been the same.” 

Jiyeon felt more tears falling as Daniel’s face changed, regret. 

“So this is the truth… this is why you left me back then.” He sighed, as she became unable to read his expression. 

Was he upset? Was their remorse?

“Jiyeon I never would’ve made it this far without you.” He retorted. He breathed out again trying to calm himself. Controlling his emotions.

But she knew that wasn’t the truth. He was talented, handsome, smart, and charming. He would’ve gone to the top without them ever meeting.

“Daniel, we just aren’t supposed to be together. It’s pointless to even try. I know how it will end. Both of us unhappy and i'll probably only end up losing any semblance of my career.”

“Then why can’t we?” He snapped.

“Why can’t I be the reason?” He pleaded. “Not your career, not what other people want, not what you believe will happen. Why can’t I be the reason you won’t run away anymore? Am i not worth it?” 

Jiyeon for the first time doubted everything. Doubted her actions… wasn’t that enough? 

Her love for him, was it enough to risk being an idol? Enough to walk on the line, leaning into a completely unexplored zone. 

To this point no idol relationship ever ended well… especially for the female idol and there was a strong chance she'd never recover if there was a scandal.

“You’re so selfish!” Jiyeon wasn’t sure if she was talking to him or herself.

Daniel stepped back shocked by her sudden outburst of emotions.

I’ll never risk your happiness, your career. That would be too selfish of me.

“Just let me end my career with whatever dignity I have left. Do you know how humiliated and ashamed I feel when you do these things for me? Please just stop. Stop and live your own life.”

“Jiyeon.” 

This time he wasn’t fighting. This time he had conceded. 

"Then i'm not enough." He mumbled defeatedly.

“Please oppa. I’m begging you.” Something inside of her snapped, she sank to her knees.

There were tears flowing down Daniel’s horrified face as he looked down towards her. Complete helplessness. She knew that he couldn’t fight against her any longer. 

“Jiyeon.” His voice was pained. 

“If this is really what you want… I’ll leave you alone.” He choked on his own words.

He's lying... isn't he?

Jiyeon nodded as she slowly got off her knees.

“Instead!” He suddenly exclaimed desperate to say anything to make her stay. “Instead I hope you realize how much of a coward you’re being.” 

Jiyeon didn’t look back as she exited the room. The strong Choi Daniel in shambles after her cruel words. 

I’m a coward. I’ll always be a coward. 

"You're a coward Jiyeon." He was angry. He was broken. 

She had done that.

… 9.4.2016

SOOMPI: T-ara makes first comeback for almost a year at IASGO 2016 and a hard truth is revealed, the end of an era

September 4th, 2016

6 stunning girls took the stage in blue blazers and tight blue shorts dancing with a mix of cute and y. Yet the only thing I could take away was… this must be the end. 

Now first, hear me out. I have been a fan of T-ara since the beginning. But watching their performance I think I speak for everyone that this is the end of an era. The second generation, T-ara looked sloppy in their movement and their coordination seemed off. To be honest they just didn’t seem as into their dances anymore, with already more simple dances it only amplified their lack of effort.

T-ara members Hyomin and Jiyeon after having successful solo careers seem distracted and out of it. While up and coming actress Eunjung seems like she might just have to stick to acting instead of dancing. Leader Qri was a bright spot, while members Soyeon and Boram with their upcoming ending of their contracts might be focused on other things as well. 

I was quite unimpressed with their performances of even their greatest hits and overall the crowd seemed quiet compared to their old performances. I’m sorry to report this as one of their fans but, either get back in shape or else up and coming groups like Twice, and Red Velvet will just take over for you. 

Goodbye T-ara, Kara, and Girls Generation. Hello Twice!

//////////////

Top Comments:

“It’s really unfortunate after being a fan of there’s so long. I don’t disagree with anything said about their performance. But after having such a brutal scandal and nationwide hate, how are they supposed to stay motivated? It’s been almost a year, I was just glad to see them again.”

“Fighting T-ara! I hope they can impress and prove all of you haters wrong in their next performance. T-ara forever!”

… 9.8.2016

KOREABOO: New promotion shows determination of Daniel Choi alongside cute appearance of T-ara’s Jiyeon

Yesterday the SK Knights launched their upcoming promotion for new KBL season and new Adidas sponsored Jerseys. The CF was placed on the internet and played on many TVs. In case you missed it here’s a link:

Daniel Choi is seen watching a broadcast of “American” talk show hosts talk him down.

Famous clip plays on a small TV in his locker room. “Let me be frank. Daniel Choi is a jersey selling model. Look at him, he’s handsome. But we don’t care about handsome here, I want good basketball.” 

Daniel looks disheartened watching the television and throws his jersey onto the ground. Scene changes to practice court, he shoots and misses a shot. The ball bounces and rolls across the ground until an Adidas shoe stops it.

The shot pans up and reveals T-ara’s Jiyeon in a cheerleading outfit. A angelic glow on her face.

“Giving up?” She asks using her aegyo. Daniel slowly gets up and shakes his head.

Shot changes and the ball is thrown as Daniel barely catches it. Jiyeon points at the rim and grins cutely.

A series of clips showing Daniel training alongside T-ara Jiyeon, practicing shooting, dribbling with her defending him, and finally recording as he runs up and down the court. 

Finally he seems ready as he sinks a shot, Jiyeon reveals from behind her his jersey and flashes her teeth. He is shown putting it on, the emphasis on the Adidas logo on the back and the number 21.

The scene changes to a recreated game where Daniel is sweating hard. He misses a shot and the ball rolls out of bounds. The ball keeps rolling before the same shoe stops it again. Daniel looks up and it’s T-ara’s Jiyeon again with two pompoms in her hand.

“Giving up?” She challenges him again.

Daniel immediately changes his expression and with a new determination is seen scoring basket after basket over his opponents. The Scene slowly transitions to black as the KBL logo is shown.

“Never give up.” Jiyeon narrates in the background. Before the Adidas logo is seen as well on the side.

“Beginning October 6 on MBC sports network.”

The advertisement was cute and motivating a perfect way to show off his charms and famed work ethic.

To be honest though I was skeptical with the casting but I have to admit Jiyeon killed her appearance. Her ability to show off her unbelievable beauty, yet still act cute and act as a motivator. I almost wanted to get off my computer and start exercising.

Daniel Choi will play his first game October 7th and tickets for most of his home games are already sold out. Make sure to tune into MBC to see your favorite Basketball idol. 

On the subject of Jiyeon, T-ara is currently holding special fan concerts before leaving September 11th to Japan to hold more concerts and finally September 18 to do final concert in Shanghai. 

What are your thoughts on the promotion featuring our favorite Basketball idol? 

//////////

Top Comments: 

“OMG I loved it so much, Daniel oppa is handsome as always and was pleasantly surprised by how good they looked together. Jiyeon does a good job being cute and yet y so I think she will be a good spokes person.”

“Yes I live for Daniel oppa having a cute comeback, though it’s funny in reality he’s the best player in the KBL by a mile. I think 9Muses Kyungri would’ve been a better fit but I guess that’s my opinion.”

“Chemistry is important in advertisements  and they have it. I know its unpopular but I have grown to like her selection as the spokes person.”

… 9.12.2016

Life had changed, part of it was the time that had passed. The trending CF that had garnered over 5 million views on Youtube in a week, despite just being a commercial. 

She became more comfortable with her new schedule and she couldn’t lie it was nice that she was doing things again. With their agencies decision to allow them to perform again with their upcoming comeback later in November.

After a rough first concert in Korea, their Japan promotions had gone much smoother. They had completely sold out all of their concerts in Japan and would attend a packed final concert in Shanghai in a few days. 

Jiyeon couldn’t lie seeing the positive comments from the commercial gave her energy from the sea of negative she had felt before. Most of it was praising Daniel, but many giving credit to her as well. 

She checked the schedule on her phone.

Another large event that would undoubtedly garner a mixed amount of press, in two days they would release the news of her and Lee Donggun oppa’s breakup.

She knew that he was finally seeing a new person, the main lead from his drama, and to be honest she was happy for him. He had been warm to her, despite her coldness to him and he deserved someone to love. 

Then there was him. She hadn’t seen him since the shoot. The image of his defeated expression stained in her mind. Somehow, despite doing what she believed was the right thing she didn’t feel better. She felt alone still, as if something that should’ve been hers had disappeared. 

“Jiyeon let’s go. We have two hours of rest at the hotel before our next fan signing event.” Hyomin called out entering her hotel room.

“Really? I don’t remember it.” Jiyeon replied, she swore she knew their schedule front to back.

“It got added yesterday, Oricon is hosting this one.” Hyomin grinned happily. 

“Ok unnie. That’s great.” Jiyeon nodded her head. Fan signings were always great ways to interact with fans. 

A place where she knew that everyone present were true fans of T-ara. Sure, they could go long, and often were boring, but seeing the love that was given to them made it all worth it.

The current schedule was tight and they were constantly cramming events out of the blue. She liked it. It reminded of how things had been before. 

For a second, just a second she wondered if perhaps her career may not be over after all. 

Jiyeon smiled cutely as she received a large paper bag from a young Japanese girl maybe in middle school. 

“It’s snacks.” The Japanese girl beckoned for her to look a bright grin on her face.  Jiyeon returned her smile and looked inside.

She chuckled slightly, as she realized the girl’s mistake.

The girl stared at her puzzled. 

“Hand phone.” Jiyeon wasn’t sure what the word for it was in Japanese. But she reached in and handed the phone back to the young fan, snapping a selfie with it, before doing so.

The girl squealed in delight as she received it wishing her well. Jiyeon watched as the next fan appeared, and the next. 

Jiyeon continued her writing her signature. As after a few more fans, Eunjung who was sitting beside her revealed the hats. Adorable bunny hats with buttons that pushed up the ears on the hat. 

Jiyeon put one on and smiled childishly at the next fan, as the young man began blushing furiously. 

“Kawaii.” He commented as he set his poster down in front of her for Jiyeon to sign.

Given a small break. Jiyeon and Eunjung conversed as they sipped on sponsored water for Fiji.

“I almost got a free phone today.” Jiyeon joked as she recounted the cute middle schooler.

“I got a stuffed toy, look at how cute it is.” Eunjung held up a cute penguin plush animal. 

But Jiyeon could only think of him when she saw it. The time he had won her one.

Suddenly a loud yell erupted from the line. Jiyeon turned her head and saw that there was an expensively dressed large young man being held back by two security guards.

“I paid to be here! What the hell! I’m paying more than all these poor idiots I should be first in line!” 

Jiyeon wasn’t completely sure she understood exactly what was being said. But judging by his nice outfit and haughty tone she pretty much understood what was going on. It wasn’t T-ara’s first time dealing with entitled fans.

“Huh? They’re not even popular enough for me to be wasting my time.” He continued his insults as the security guards continued to hold him back from the line.

Both Jiyeon and her members were silent as more security was sent to restrain him.

For a second Jiyeon’s eyes met the man and seeing how much disgust he had in his eyes. Jiyeon rolled her eyes. 

Rich fans who thought because of their wealth they had power of idols.

“That !” He suddenly exclaimed pointing towards her. “She rolled her eyes at me!” 

Jiyeon almost scoffed. So what?

It felt strangely good taking a stand against someone. 

“I’ll ruin your life for that!” He screamed as security guards dragged him away. His meaningless threats causing Jiyeon slight amusement.

“Wow, who’s this Jiyeon?” Eunjung a smile on her face.

The rest of the fan meeting thankfully went smoothly, and Jiyeon completely forgot about the incident