Chapter 7: (2013) Rise

No Longer a Coward

1.15.2013

"Bo Peep Bo Peep Bo Peep Ah!"

Daniel bopped his head to the beat of 'Bo Peep' as he sat in the locker room watching a performance where Jiyeon danced cutely to the popular song. This was the Japanese version that they had performed about 4 days ago.

His eyes glued to one member in particuliar. Daniel found himself once again in awe at how seriously pretty she looked.

He could feel his cheeks grow hot as he found himself blushing just watching her dance. She wore a slightly revealing black glittery outfit with a rather short furry skirt and matching cat ears. A cute and y cat. 

“Bro what are you watching?” Out of nowhere Anthony snatched his phone from his hand.

The headphones he had sprung out of his ears and onto the floor.

“What are you watching before every game that makes you in such a good mood. Huh?” Anthony questioned.

He stared at the screen in shock. Daniel clenched his teeth, he felt slightly embarrased. 

“Damn, bro! They Korean?” 

All of his other teammates rushed over as they crowded his phone staring in genuine curiously at the video. 

“Damn, they cute.” Winston commented from behind.

“This is what gets you hyped?” Marcus questioned and they all turned back to him, he was expecting them to make fun of him.

However, they seemed genuinely curious. Daniel slowly nodded, unsure of how else to respond.

“Bro, this is going to be our pregame routine for sure! I’m telling coach.” Anthony exclaimed in excitement.

They all cheered as Daniel stared in confusion unsure of what just happened. 

… 2.15.2013

Pov: Talk Show

“This week on ESPN’s Get up! I don’t know if you’re following college Basketball, but a surprising underdog to make the NCAA tournament, the NYU Violets has won 15 of their last 18 games. This would make it their first appearance in over 60 years for the organization. Led in points and assists by their star point guard Daniel Choi.” The female host introduced the topic.

“I’ve seen highlights of him, watch out Jeremy Lin! Daniel Choi might be the next big thing.” Mike Greensberg a basketball analyst commented.

“The big story however, comes the pregame routine of the team. Since January, the team seems to be playing Korean Kpop music in their lay-up lines to get the team ready to compete. Team captain Anthony Lew gave his input before us.”

There was a video of the tall captain in his NYU Number 20 jersey.

“Actually, I always wondered what Daniel was listening to before the games. He could consistently drop like 30 on the other team. So I took his phone and he was listening to this Korean group. I’m not gonna lie, it was fire! I just thought to myself, Wow! Why don’t we make this our thing? And that’s how it happened.”

The video disappeared and the two sports analysts chuckled.

“What are your thoughts on embracing the music of the star player’s culture?” The female host asked.

“I love to see how my brother Anthony is supporting his teammate, and given the success I don’t see anything wrong with a little bit of culture in your team. I’ve listen to Gangnam Style a few times, the Koreans have good music.” Jalen Rose former professional basketball player added.

“Now I do want to talk about Daniel Choi, he is a sophomore after red shirting his freshman year, who is now averaging 26 points and 7 assists in college. This man wasn’t even given a second thought on draft boards but he could make an appearance.” 

“I agree, I would like to see some more success in a competitive environment like the tournament. Because again, this brother, is not playing highly ranked teams like Duke or Michigan, he’s playing mostly small schools.”

The sports analyst continued breaking down Daniel Choi’s skills and abilities.

… 2.16.2012

“This week on ABC news College Basketball team NYU Violets show dominance in their conference. Led by senior captain Anthony Lew and star Sophomore Asian point guard Daniel Choi, the team remains 15-3 as they reach the end of the season.” A female broadcaster announced.

“The team during layup lines have begun to play Kpop as a form of cultural honoring to their star Point guard.” The reporter continued. 

“Some artists that have been mentioned are if I’m not wrong. 'Tiara' and 'Girls Generation'.” The reporter stared at the paper to make sure she had read them right.

“With Korean culture making a huge appearance in America with the emergence of Gangnam style a music video with almost a billion views, it is interesting to see the team sustain success with this.”

“Daniel Choi is averaging 26 points and 8 assists as a sophomore making him possibly a candidate for the NBA draft this year. With the success of Jeremy Lin, Daniel Choi might be Asia’s next big thing in basketball."

…2.17.2012

SOOMPI: Meet who American’s are calling the Basketball Idol: Daniel Choi

Daniel (Daehan) Choi, a Korean American, is a sophomore at NYU and a starter on the basketball team.

ESPN became the first to report that this 16-3 team, is actually playing Korean Girlgroup music before every game.

Popular songs such as T-ara’s “Bo Peep” and “Roly Poly” and SNSD’s “The Boys” and “Run devil Run” have been confirmed as part of the routine.

Though the whole team seems to be fans of the music. Handsome player Daniel Choi has become a subject of conversation. Standing at 188 cm, a slim but strong build, and a face that exudes a sort of handsome manliness, Daniel Choi is widely agreed to be Netizen’s “Basketball Idol”.

After extensive research we found that Daniel Choi was born in Los Angeles, California in 1993, attended Sierra Canyon Highscool a private school for more wealthy families in California. While because of his appearance was not highly scouted for sports, brought the school to three consecutive state championships.

So he’s handsome, rich, athletic, and also smart. Daniel Choi reportedly received a full academic scholarship to attend NYU, a top school in America.

Seems dreamy right? 

He will likely be bringing his team to a NCAA tournament, and then possibly declare for the NBA draft. We will be cheering for him here at SOOMPI.

What are your thoughts? Could he have been an idol if he had gone a different route?

////////////////

Top Comments:

“OMG he’s definitely very handsome and good at basketball and smart. Sign me up for his fan club. I’ve never watched basketball, but this oppa is going places."

“He’s not really the standard idol handsome, his skin is darker, likely from living in California, and he doesn’t have as defined features as many idols. That said, he is still very good looking, and can’t wait to see him play basketball.”

“I am thrilled to see that he is promoting his culture in America. It warms my heart that he is having great success too. Daehan oppa fighting! And you can shoot your shot in my heart whenever you want.” 

“I can’t say I am thrilled by his song choices. Not a fan of T-ara knowing now the kind of people they are. But I will admit that those are all catchy songs and are good ones to start with."

Jiyeon couldn’t understand all the American news she had watched, but it was amazing. He had become a celebrity, seemingly overnight. Within the span of 24 hours he had gone from a person to a celebrity.

She knew he had worked hard to become a good player for years and it seemed similar to being a trainee, it had finally paid off.

He had debuted into the world. Even Korean News organizations were doing stories about the Korean American boy who might play in the NBA.

She read the articles, she was glad that he was promoting her songs, but the comments on them made her feel down.

There was still so much hate even for just listening to a T-ara song. She had just come from a practice and was lying on her bed in her hotel room.

Suddenly there was a knock. However, before she could respond the door burst open.

“Jiyeon, did you see all the articles? That American guy is listening to our music!” Hyomin squealed. “Wow, he might even play in the NBA that’s so cool.”

Jiyeon nodded as Eunjung followed her into the room as well. 

“I wonder if he’s been a fan for a long time?” Eunjung wondered aloud.

Jiyeon stared at her somewhat worried she might make a connection.

Thankfully it seemed like Hyomin and Eunjung had forgotten how Daniel had looked, after all they had only gotten a glance of him at Las Vegas.

Honestly, sometimes Jiyeon even forgot how Daniel looked, after all it had been almost two years since they had first met in Vegas.

“Imagine, being a Basketball Idol.” Eunjung sighed.

“I bet he’s my fan. It makes sense, I’m probably his ideal type.” Eunjung flipped her hair coyly as Hyomin rolled her eyes.

Hyomin who then continued to slap her. “Nah, he probably likes me the most.”

“By the way, didn’t you say you started watching basketball?” Eunjung suddenly inquired of Jiyeon.

Jiyeon nodded sheepishly. Hyomin stared suspiciously.

“Don’t tell me.” Eunjung began.

“You knew about him from your American friend.” Hyomin interrupted. “Did he tell you about this guy? Is this guy famous there?"

Jiyeon realized they hadn’t put two and two together, silently thanking whatever diety existed in the sky.

“The American friend from Las Vegas?” 

“Yes.” Jiyeon nodded. 

“I don’t really remember how he looked, but he was not bad either, I’m sure they met each other before.” Eunjung commented.

Jiyeon almost burst out laughing at their ignorance. But she held it in.

“We should all watch together. As a fan of ours we should be fans of him. He is pretty handsome.” Eunjung brushed her hair to one side.

Did she already like him? Jiyeon felt slightly defensive. 

“Stupid, he probably just listened to catchy songs.” Hyomin scolded her. 

“What do you think Jiyeon-a?” Eunjung inquired.

“I think, you should get out of my room.” She grumbled as she playfully pushed them away.

They both whined as Jiyeon urged them continuously to leave. When they had both finally left she lay on her bed. 

There was a new notification.

DAEHAN: wow, sorry I just got back from Missouri.

DAEHAN: a lot happened huh?

JIYEON: just a little bit

DAEHAN: yah tell me about it

DAEHAN: can you talk?

JIYEON: sure

Jiyeon watched as an invitation for a video chat showed up on her screen.

Did you just finish practicing?

“How did you know?” Jiyeon inquired raising an eyebrow.

You’re hair looks like a cat attacked it.” He teased with a smirk.

Jiyeon stared at her reflection, before quickly covering the camera. Immediately using her hands to fix her hair.

Her cheeks felt warm, embarrassed by his playful teasing.

“Ya, Oppa!” She stuck out her tongue chidlishly as she finally uncovered the camera.

I’m kidding.” He chuckled, grinning goofily.

“What are you going to do now?” She wondered. “You’re a celebrity now.”

I’m going to play basketball, just as usual, I’m going to go to school just as usual, and when I have time I’m gonna talk to you.”

For some reason she felt a wave of assurance inside. She was afraid when she thought about it. She was afraid she’d lose him. Or worse, she was afraid that he’d leave her.

“Daniel.” 

yes?”

“Thanks, for still being my fan.” She wanted to appreciate him.

He had done so much for her. He had always been there for her, a constant in her now rocky life.

Of course Jiyeon-si.”

“From now on, I’m going to be your number one fan as well!” 

You already are. Who else watches all of my games and cheers and groans so cutely?"

Jiyeon blushed. It was true that she had watched most of his games in her free time. She had grown to enjoy watching basketball, the excitement she felt, but more important she enjoyed watching him play.

It was like watching a graceful Idol dance skillfully to music. She was in awe of him.

“Daniel, you’re going to play in the NBA I know it.” 

Hey don’t get my hopes up too high. I already know that."

He always seemed to know what to say. He was witty when he needed to be, he was charming at times too.

Now that the media knew about him. Why did she not want him to be those things? Why did she want to keep him to herself?

… 3.22.2013

ESPN report: NCAA tournament round 1: Number 8 seed NYU defeats number 9 seed UCF in dominate fashion. Choi has 30 points. 

“Wow I never knew basketball was so long.” Qri sighed as she sat on the couch, leaning back against the cushion half asleep. “I thought you said it was 40 minutes, that was an hour and a half.

Jiyeon sighed. “That’s because of timeouts.” 

“How do you know so much about basketball?” Soyeon questioned suspiciously.

“I’m tired, no one told me this would be so early in the morning.” Hyomin yawned as she leaned into Jiyeon’s shoulder.

Jiyeon had tried to control herself around her members, but every time she watched him, she got worked up and excited. She was his number one fan after all.

It was amazing, Korea had taken it upon itself to buy the rights to broadcast only NYU’s games.

He wasn’t even technically Korean, but Korea had bought it in an instant.

Boram sighed. “Wow, it’s definitely cool. But this is too early in the morning, how do you have so much energy Jiyeon?”

“She acted like she didn’t care back in the hotel room.” Hyomin accused. "Now she's the most enthusiastic one!" 

“It’s fun, I like basketball a lot now.” Jiyeon answered shrugging her shoulders.

“Ahhh, but is it basketball or that guy?” Eunjung wondered aloud poiting towards the TV.

“You’re just jealous.” Qri poked Eunjung who jokingly sulked.

“Wait that’s him!” Soyeon pointed out.

They all stared at the large TV as a young female reporter appeared with the sweaty Daniel Choi. 

So Daniel Choi, NYU has never made the tournament much less won a game before. How do you feel after destroying UCF?” The reporter held up a mic to him.

Subtitles appeared underneath to show what they were talking about.

“I am very happy to have won, UCF put up a hell of a fight, but me and my team had their number today.” A tall player number 16 jumped behind him hitting his back as he cheered.

He shouted loudly something that was indistinguishable as he disappeared from the shot. The subtitles appeared below: This guy is the MVP

“Wow he’s so cool and professional." Eunjung fawned, Jiyeon noticed a genuine smile on her lips. 

Jiyeon had to agree. She knew that he was calm and firm when he spoke, but seeing it on TV. He really did have the posture of a professional. She admired it, it was like he had been interviewed many times before.

“You’re been coined the nickname by many fans as the Basketball Idol, because of your handsome appearance. How do you feel about it?" The reporter asked.

Daniel chuckled as he leaned into the mic. “I don’t know if I’m deserving of that nickname, but thank you to everyone who have been supporting our team!” 

“Well, at least he’s humble.” Hyomin admitted. “I still don’t think he’s that good looking.”

“We just heard that NYU’s games are actually being broadcasted on Korean television because of the large interest anything you want to say to your Korean fans?” She handed him the mic. 

He paused. Then continued in Korean. “Thank you for all the support, I’m going to try and make all of you proud. Please support our whole team through the tournament.” This time he took the mic from her hands.

He stared into the camera. “I’m not sure if you’re watching this, but T-ara fighting!”

He nodded giving back the mic to the interviewer and left.

“We’ll have to get a translator for that, but great words from NYU’s Daniel Choi. Back to you John.” 

“Woah! Daebak!” Even Qri stood completely shocked. “I can’t believe he just said that on American TV!”

“He was talking to me, I know it!” Eunjung squealed.

Jiyeon rolled her eyes, but she couldn’t lie, she felt like his eyes were gazing into hers when she saw him. 

Jiyeon wasn’t sure how to feel. She was caught off guard by his wish on TV. She was touched by it, but at the sametime she was scared for him.

Nothing good came from mentioning the name T-ara in Korea. She didn’t want him to suffer because of her mistakes either.

Minutes later a notification popped up on her phone.

Jiyeon excused herself and left back to her own room where she checked her messages.

DAEHAN: did you watch?

DAEHAN: I know it’s early for you

JIYEON: why would I watch?

JIYEON: I’ll watch it later.

DAEHAN: oh ok...

JIYEON: I’m kidding

JIYEON: of course I watched 

JIYEON: I'm you fan remember?

DAEHAN: did you see the interview?

JIYEON: you shouldn’t have said that 

DAEHAN: why not?

JIYEON: you might get in trouble

DAEHAN: I don’t give a about what Korea thinks

DAEHAN: I’m an American remember? 

DAEHAN: I just want to praise the idols I’m cheering for!

Jiyeon shook her head, she didn’t want him to think like that.

He didn’t understand what kind of hardships came with the press turning on you. For the first time, she feared for him.

SOOMPI: Basketball Idol wins first game with 3 million Korean’s tuning in. 

March 22, 2013

MBC recently aired the NYU vs. UCF game during the normal 5am - 7am timeslot. MBC reported that they will also continue to air NYU’s games as long as they are in the tournament. Over 3 million concurrent viewers aired in, probably an even larger number considering the amount of families that are not included in the number.

Daniel (Daehan) Choi impressed fans as he posted 30 points and 5 assists in the game as his team won by 20 points against a strong opponent. 

However, the news that has many netizens talking was the post game interview.

When asked about the nickname that had been placed on him he answered humbly saying: 

“I don’t know if I’m deserving of that nickname, but thank you to everyone who have been supporting our team!” 

Fan’s young and old were impressed by his Idol-like response that seemed mature for a boy who had never been on national TV before.

Then when asked about the Korean fans watching he responded very humbly as well.

“Thank you for all the support, I’m going to try and make all of you proud. Please support our whole team through the tournament.” 

The maturity made many netizens fall in love with him and show their support for their handsome basketball idol. 

The largest controversy was his final words. He looked into the camera and showed his support for MBK Entertainment’s T-ara. 

While the bullying scandal has yet to be confirmed, with T-ara currently performing in Japan, Netizens still hold a negative view on the group. 

We think that Daniel is entitled to his own opinions and are happy to see him give a shoutout to a Kpop group on national TV.

//////////////////

Top Comments:

“I think he should be able to support whoever he wants. I am glad to see him give Kpop a shoutout on National TV anywhere and was happy to see he’s just a fan like us.” 

“I hate that he was not considerate of the Korean viewers watching, but everyone makes mistakes and I think he was just excited for the win. Supporting you Daehan oppa!” 

…3.24.2013

ESPN report: Ncaa Tournament Round 2: Number 8 NYU defeats Number 1 seeded Indiana by 4 points. Lew and Choi each have 20 points. Choi misses free throw but get’s a late game block on attempt to tie the game.

Jiyeon was clenching her teeth as she watched Daniel repeat his normal process of dribbling twice and then spinning the ball in his hands. She had once by repeating the process in front of him. The first shot fell into the basket.

She sighed in relief. They were up by two points. 

89-87

If he made the second shot they’d be up by three. She noticed his shoulder’s seemed tense. The ball rolled around the rim and the other team grabbed it.

Timeout

The tension she felt, she was terrified. Would the other team score?

Her members had not woken up to watch this time as it was even earlier today, beginning at 4am. She had woken up anyways. 

The other team passed the ball in as one of the players suddenly ran towards the basket. He was open and was passed the ball. It was an easy lay-up. 

Suddenly out of nowhere Daniel flew in and swatted the ball down. 

“Yes!” She cheered as Number 20 grabbed the falling ball. 

The other team fouled him. There was only 1 second left. Not enough time for the other team to score and even if they did it could be a 4 point lead. After watching over 12 of Daniel’s games she knew the game much better.

The ball swished into the net twice as the score raised.

91-87. 

The other team passed the ball in, but there was no time. 

NYU had won. Daniel had won.

She jumped up from her seat! “Nice!”

She was jumping up and down watching as confetti poured onto the court. 

Though she didn’t understand how Daniel’s team was a 8th ranked team when he had won so many games, she knew that the team he had just played was the 1st ranked team.

This time however, the interviewer spoke to Number 20 not Daniel.

She wondered why he was not being interviewed. That’s when she checked her phone.

DAEHAN: Hi

JIYEON: good job oppa!

JIYEON: I was really scared at the end

JIYEON: Good job! Really cool!

DAEHAN: thanks, who knows how far we might go were already in the sweet 16

JIYEON: sweet 16? 

JIYEON: what does that mean?

DAEHAN: it’s the amount of teams left, the next stage if we win, is called the elite 8, then the final four, and then the championship. 

DAEHAN: each stage has different names for it

Jiyeon nodded, basketball sure was confusing.

For example the fact that there were only two halves in his game, but most games had 4 quarters. Sometimes it hurt her head, but nevertheless she kept watching. To support him.

JIYEON: I am going to sleep now, it’s early,

JIYEON: I’ll talk to you later

DAEHAN: goodnight, sweet dreams

… 3.27.2013

ESPN report: NYU defeats Number four ranked team Miami to advance to the Elite 8. Loses first half, but Choi leads the team back to win with 36 points. 

“He doesn’t miss.” Hyomin who had seemed to be hesitant to cheer on Daniel.

Had been jumping up and down along with Jiyeon as they watched the game. “He kept shooting the ball and it kept going in!” 

“Very impressive.” Qri commented as they watched the live broadcast.

Jiyeon could barely keep her eyes open. She had just finished recording along with her members it was 10pm their time as the game ended, and she was exhausted.

“Wow, at this rate he might just win the whole thing.” Soyeon commented excitedly. 

“The news seems to call him Korea’s hope for Basketball. The best thing since Seo Janghoon, and he’s not even really Korean.” Eunjung squealed.

Jiyeon had never seen Eunjung seem so excited by someone. She wondered if she genuinely like him.

That definitely couldn’t happen. Jiyeon wasn’t sure why, but she didn’t want Eunjung to take him away from her. Jiyeon wanted to selfishly hold onto him, her friend.

… 3.30.2013

ESPN report: Cinderella team NYU falls in the Elite 8 to Syracuse 101 to 85. Choi finishes with just 12 points. 

JIYEON: good job oppa, I’m so proud of how far you went

JIYEON: Daniel fighting!

JIYEON: don’t be sad. I’m such a proud number one fan.

Daniel stared at his phone. There were tears in his eyes, he was disappointed in himself. He felt like he had lost his team the game. He was upset that he hadn’t been able to make more shots.

DAEHAN:  thanks Jiyeon

DAEHAN: I’m about to make an announcement so please stay tuned

“Daniel, we have a press conference to attend.” Daniel nodded as he followed his agent through the locker room.

He had signed with his agent around half way through the season and was glad he did. His agent handled many of the things that he would never have thought were important.

He had already told his parents and his sister previously, and now he just had to tell the world. 

There were dozens of reporters all crammed into the small press room. He sat down next to Anthony who was already waiting for him.

In the middle was his coach.

“We will begin the press conference.”

“Daniel? What are your thoughts on your performance tonight?”

“I’m disappointed. I know I could’ve performed better, but everyone has bad nights and that was how it was for me.” Daniel responded.

“Anthony? Your thoughts on this being your last game in college?”

“I am more than happy to help lead our team with the help of Daniel to a place I never could’ve imagined even one year ago when I met him playing at the gym.” Anthony replied. “I am just happy to have been here to compete and it’s unfortunate we lost.”

“Daniel? What is your future? Will you stay one more year?” Daniel knew that it was time he nodded towards his agent.

“This year I will be declaring for the NBA draft.” 

… 4.1.2013

KOREA TODAY: After losing in 3rd round, Basketball Idol declares for the NBA draft. 

… 4.8.2013

JIYEON: are you serious?

DAEHAN: yes, I’ll only be there for a week though

JIYEON: I’ll be there to visit my family for two weeks as well

JIYEON: why are you coming though?

DAEHAN: to visit Korea before I am stuck in America for however long my career is. 

DAEHAN: why is there something wrong with me going there?

JIYEON: no, but you’re not telling anyone are you?

DAEHAN: even my agent doesn’t know.

JIYEON: wow look at you such a rebel

DAEHAN: I wanted to meet you in person again

DAEHAN: if, it’s possible...

DAEHAN: like a fanmeeting

JIYEON: I just have to go back to Japan the 29th.

Daniel placed his phone down. He couldn’t wait, in one week he’d head to Korea. He wanted to see her. That was why he was going. He was about to start a professional sports career and desperately wanted to see her at least once more. In person. He wanted to see her beauty in person at least once more.  

He knew it was insane, but after the past few months he was sure of it. He wanted to at least tell her his feelings. He would regret it if he never said it.

He was her biggest fan and she was his biggest fan.

Why couldn’t they date?

Of course he had lied to his parents saying he wanted to discover his roots. 

He hadn't been to Korea for about 3 years and they agreed that it would be a good idea for him to visit Korea again.

They were supportive of him. Not at first, but when they saw the news coverage they knew that this wasn’t a fluke. This was his chance to grab onto the sports career he always wanted. He had loved basketball since before he could remember.

Though sports was never something that was encouraged by his parents. They agreed that it was a better passtime then watching TV and following celebrities. Funny how things worked out.

He wanted more now, he knew it was selfish, but he wanted to hold her hand. He wanted to hold onto Jiyeon.

//////////////////

For those who don't really know. March Madness is this tournament hosted by a college athletic program where the best 64 College teams are invited and much of America even if they don't know basketball all make picks on who they think will win. The tournament is very popular so it would make sense for a lot of press to pursue emerging athletes.