iii Chapter 7: (2017)

No Longer a Coward

… January 13th, 2017

SOOMPI: Happy Together welcomes in the new year to a high of 20% viewership for the year with Basketball Idol appearance.

January 13th, 2017

Does he really have the Midas touch? After releasing a preview of an episode of Happy Together with Daniel Choi in the cover. Viewers flocked to watch the show despite knowing he wasn’t one of the featured guests.

The basketball Idol whose team is currently 30-1 only losing one game in the 31 games he’s played a league record. Daniel is currently the “It Man” of Korea. 

He has won over millions of young and old females hearts with his charming appearances on CF’s and taken over the awe of males fan’s hearts as well with his play. 

On the recent episode of Happy Together Goddess edition he boosted ratings single handedly despite never making an actual appearance. 

T-ara’s Park Jiyeon one of the guests of the show was asked about her CF with her and Daniel. The other Goddesses rushed over to show their own support and fan love for him. Jiyeon then was asked how close she was to him and expressed that they knew each other decently well. 

She was then asked if she could call him and a fluster show began. She tried to divert attention away from her as the whole cast seemed adamant about her calling him. She finally gave in as Kiryang the beautiful Lotte Giant’s cheerleader begged her to let her meet him. 

The conversation was cute as he continued to charm the guests and the hosts of the show. I’m telling you he needs to appear on more shows. Our oppa was practically born for television. He could tell both the cheerleader and Twice’s Tzuyu from their voices and thanked them for their support. 

With the confidence of an established actor Daniel Choi shows his competency off the court and on it too. My little fan girl heart could barely contain myself as I watched the episode.

What were your thoughts on his minor appearance?

///////////////

Top Comments: 

“I literally was expecting to be disappointed but watched anyways. I am not really a fan of any of the guests besides Tzuyu, but I watched for my oppa. And Daebak, I was not disappointed at all. I loved how Jiyeon mentioned how charming he was and how he got along with all idols.” 

“I watched the episode without even knowing about his appearance and literally fainted as they called him. I’m not surprised everyone was watching as lots of interest is around our oppa. He hits two large fanbases that most could never reach, not only women’s hearts, but also older men who have nationalist pride and younger boys who want to be like him. He captures all their attention.”

“His phone call reminds me of when Suzy was called by Seo Kangjoon. Honestly, there were a lot of mean comments towards the cheerleader for revealing her crush on him calling her ugly and undeserving. I hope netizens don’t continue doing this.”

... 1.15.2017

“She’s coming.” Jieun whispered pointing towards her phone. 

Jiyeon leaned her head against her shorter friends shoulder. They were currently seated against the Kitchen island of their friend’s apartment. 

Both girls hiding in the darkness as they waited in suspense for Yoo Inna to walk through the door.

They heard the ring of her keypad being pressed followed by the electronic lock unlatching itself. 

“Ready?” Jiyeon whispered.

Jieun giggled slightly as she nodded. 

The sound of the door swinging open was clear. Then a high pitched sigh, one that was distinct to Inna unnie. 

Jiyeon tapped Jieun’s shoulder once more before they both sprang up from behind the counter.

“Congratulations unnie!” Both shouted throwing their hands up.

The cute woman jumped backwards squealing in shock. Her hands quickly covering expressing her surprise.

Jiyeon and Jieun rushed over to embrace her. Throwing their arms around their friend.

“Congratulations on finishing filming your drama!” Jiyeon congratulated her. 

“21% ratings is no joke.” Jieun added. 

“Thanks Jieun-ah, thanks Jiyeon-ah. It’s been a while, especially for you Jiyeon-ah thanks for coming.” Inna expressed her gratefulness by pulling both younger women closer.

“We bought your favorites!” Jiyeon pointed towards the box of chicken resting on the counter. 

“We’re celebrating tonight. You’ve worked hard.” Jieun added on beckoning towards the large box of beer cans that had been placed next to the chicken. 

“Ya! I don’t even like Chicken that much.” Inna playfully joked. "Why aren't you at your boyfriend's game? Isn't ok for you to be here?"

"And miss celebrating with my best friends? Of course I couldn't miss this." Jiyeon assured her.

"Ya! You should be cheering your boyfriend. I just wanted to go to bed." Inna tried to scold her. 

But it was clear to Jiyeon that the actress was holding back tears of gratitude. It had been a while since the three of them had been able to gather together.

Jiyeon missed it.

“Well you’re a chicken shop owner in the drama... so we couldn’t think of anything better.” Jiyeon . "Neither of us are very creative."

After each of their long embraces. The three friends gathered around Inna’s counter. Fun conversation erupted between the close friends as they took the opportunity to catch up with each other. 

Jiyeon glad to be able to spend the night listening to IU talk about her music and concerts.

Inna’s stories about filming with the legendary Gongyoo and Lee Dongwook. 

Jiyeon and Jieun quickly realized about two beers in, that their unnie clearly had lingering feelings towards the handsome grim reaper. Something both didn’t hesitate to continue to tease their friend about throughout the night.

By the time 4 hours and roughly speaking, 6 cans each, had passed. Somehow they had shifted from the nice kitchen to the living room. Jiyeon and Jieun cuddling together like romantic couple on the sofa, both tipsy from their over consumption of alcohol.

“Ya. You two come over to celebrate with me. And I’m the one cleaning up?” Inna sighed, quite oddly the least drunk of the three. 

“Unnie I love you.” Jiyeon confessed drunkenly poking her head up from the back of the sofa. Making something that might've resembled a heart with her arms bent awkwardly over her head. 

“Me too. Inna unnie I love you.” Jieun echoed rolling onto Jiyeon’s leg. 

"Ya, that hurt." Jiyeon screamed in a childishly.

“Aish. You’re going to make my sofa smell like alcohol again.” Inna complained.

She sighed in a way that made her sound more like the 35 year old woman she was. Quite unusual considering for the past 6 years she still looked like she was in her mid 20s. 

Jiyeon chuckled at the sigh, finding her noise rather entertaining in her current state. 

Inna threw her arms up in defeat, and sat down on the love seat next to them. Her phone now in her hand, quietly scrolling through the web.

“What time is it?” Jiyeon inquired. “When he’s done with his workout my oppa said he’d come pick me up.”

“Don’t go.” Jieun whined playfully tugging on Jiyeon’s shirt. “I never get to see you, because you don’t live in this building with us.”

“It’s 11:24.” Inna answered Jiyeon's orignal inquiry.

“Really? He should be done by now.” Jiyeon figured. “But he hasn’t called?"

She wasn't sure who she was asking the question to.

Inna continued scrolling through her phone. Suddenly she gasped. 

Was something wrong?

“There was an incident. That’s probably why he’s late.” Inna held up her phone a news article posted on it. The words indicipherable in her current state.

“There was an incident with the cheerleader.” Inna read aloud.

“Lee Chaeun?” Jieun inquired referring to the SK Knights cheerleader that was often paired with Daniel.

“No, the one on Happy Together with Jiyeon.” Inna clarified. 

“What?” Jiyeon gasped in surprise causing her to roll off the sofa. 

What happened to her?

Her head spinning as it landed against the soft carpet. She felt like vomiting. 

“What happened?”

Daniel followed his agent through the long hall way. Still unsure of what the whole commotion was. 

He had been pulled from his post game press conference after a series of notifications had rung among the reporters. Within seconds, questions were bombarded towards him about his reaction towards his fans and their actions. 

Something about the cheerleader—not Chaeun—but the girl he had talked to on that show Jiyeon had gone on. 

He didn’t even have time to grab his phone from his locker when he was dragged by his manager to a small room where he was asked to remain for the time being. Forced to hide from any lurking reporters in the arena.

Part of him felt guilty that he had originally promised he would drive and pick Jiyeon up from her friend’s apartment. But, it was clear that was no longer going to be possible.

“There’s a meeting being formed with the SK Knights, KBL representatives, and Mobis Pheobus PR teams.” His manger explained returning in a rush.

“What happened?” Daniel inquired, still in the dark about the entire situation.

“At the game played tonight in Ulsan. Fans wearing your jersey began throwing various items towards one of the cheerleaders. She fell after receiving a blow to her shoulder and security had to apprehend the assailants.” Mike explained. 

“Who were the assailants? Were they drunk?” Daniel had heard of plenty of drunk fans doing stupid things.

“17 year old girls.” Mike quickly answered. 

Daniel nodded understanding exactly why this could be such a large issue. If he didn’t address the issue, the media could see him as advocating for violence among teens. 

Mike and him were greeted by a series of men in dark suits. Some he recognized as the SK Knights PR team. The same men who had talked when he had considered joining the team. 

Daniel could tell immediately—he was not going to be seeing his girlfriend anytime soon.

... 1.16.2017

Naver Forum: "Mobis Pheobus Issues statement regarding 'Toxic fan behavior'. After cheerleader Park Kiryang is injured by rabid fans. SK Knight's Star Daniel Choi also issues statement of apology towards her."

[+7027, -1204] "I saw an article about it, the dumbest thing I've ever heard of. Obsessed fans of Daniel, after watching the Happy Together program, thought it was appropriate to throw water bottles and food at the cheerleader during her most recent game. Do you think Daniel enjoys seeing his fans do this?"

[+2376, -5831] "That B*tch deserved it! How can she be so shameless around him? I'm glad to see real fans are giving her what she deserves, she's not even on the right team."

[+1145, -422] "I hope whoever keeps leaving her hate comments calms the down. She literally just admitted to having a crush on him like everyone else. Real fans support anyone who is a fan of him too."

[+467, -7264] "Is it me? Or does Daniel's response seem forced. I personally don't think he even cares about what kind of messages he's sending to others. Shouldn't we cancel him?"

...

Jiyeon stared at the video chat with Daniel. Well… more precisely it was a video of his shoulder, a tad bit of his arm, and from what Jiyeon could decipher, the side of his neck. 

He had been like this since Jiyeon had called. His head glued to the computer screen in front of him. That was 20 minutes ago.

Unsure of what to say, Jiyeon had decided to just occupy herself with things. She had watched the same dance performance 4 times over. Trying her best to emulate the steps in her head. 

But this was getting ridiculous. She knew why he was acting distant. He like everyone had been startled by the news. The cheerleader who had innocently confessed having a crush on him on the show. Now had a bruise on her shoulder and leg after his fans had attacked her. 

As much as he tried to not let it show. She knew he had been bothered by it for the past few days. They hadn't been able to meet up either because of all of the added press.

Despite her attempts to still keep in contact, his normally cheerful self didn't seem to show. He probably felt guilty.

But Jiyeon didn’t know. She didn’t know how to comfort him, especially when she couldn't be face to face.

It bothered her she felt helpless when he obviously was feeling down. 

“Oppa what are you doing?” She finally inquired resting the phone on her bed and her back soon after. 

She turned her head to look at the camera, he was still glued to the screen in front of him. What was he doing? 

“Oppa!” She raised her voice.

Huh?” 

Daniel quickly turned towards the camera, lowering his neck slightly so that his face popped into the screen. 

His handsome face finally providing the thousands of pixels in his screen an image to boast about.

“What are you doing?” Jiyeon inquired in a bright tone.

Wa chin Game Fil lem.” His response was in English, clearly he had been zoning out too long. He had forgotten to switch languages.

Jiyeon tried to enunciate the words. Remembering the English she had taught herself and she had learned from him.

“Watch-ing. Game. Fil lem.” Jiyeon enunciated. She knew the first words but didn’t understand what exactly it was it meant.

Was he playing a game? Daniel didn’t play computer games. 

Film! That was the word. Was he watching a movie?

Was he watching someone else play games? Like esports? 

Jiyeon’s mind was working at maximum capacity as she kicked her legs against the bed, baffled by his words. Perhaps she needed to accelerate her learning pace. Yanadoo wasn't cutting it anymore.

Daniel grinned towards the camera. A small chuckle emitting from her speakers. Clearly enjoying her language dilemma.

However instead of explaining, he grabbed his phone and held it over his laptop screen.

The bright screen of his MacBook showing the contents of his focus. 

Jiyeon saw he was watching a basketball game. Guessing he was watching his own highlights the way she often would, she decided to about it.

“Are you that prideful you like to watch yourself many times over?” 

No, its other teams. I watch to study my opponents, that way I know about which direction they like to go in and where they like to shoot.” Daniel explained matter-of-factly quickly killing her joke.

Jiyeon nodded at his explanation. It was no wonder he was the best. He studied hard despite being an athlete. 

Unfortunately, different from Jiyeon's hope the conversation didn’t continue.

Daniel immediately returned his focus to his screen, zoning out once again.

Jiyeon began puffing up her cheeks, hoping her attempt at pouting would catch his attention. But he never turned his head towards the phone completely ignoring her.

She began lightly tapping her sheets. Shaking the bed underneath her hoping the rumbling would draw him towards her.

“Oppa.” Tired of the lack of development Jiyeon took action.

Shouldn't she at least ask? About it...

I mean he had always been there to comfort her.

Huh?” He snapped back to reality.

“Are you ok?” She was going to be straightforward. She had to be.

Despite his words to her, asking her to share her feelings. Daniel wasn’t one to openly share his inner thoughts that weren’t about his affection towards her. 

He never seemed to tell her when he was hurting. 

Yah.” He shrugged the question off. 

Jiyeon bit her lip in dissapointment. 

“Really?” She needed to press forward. For him.

It hurt her that he wasn’t willing to talk about it.

She wanted them to both feel open to sharing about when things are hard.

“About the incident. Do you want to talk about? With Kiryang-si.” 

She knew she couldn’t comfort him much. She was weak herself… but she wished he would at least communicate with her.

Wasn't that part of loving someone? Trusting them with your insecurities.

I’m fine.” Daniel responded in a subtle whisper. Jiyeon could barely hear him over the speaker. 

Was her volume too low?

“I know it’s hard because you might be blaming yourself—”

I’m fine!” 

Jiyeon froze at his exclaimation. This was the first time she had heard him raise his voice towards her since they started dating. Her entire body felt a chill run through it.

It terrified her. 

Had she gone too far? 

As usual she was just hurting him more.

She felt sorry immediately. She didn’t want to stress him out more.

“I’m sorry.” He beat her to an apology. “I didn’t mean to yell.”

“Me too. I’m sorry for bothering you.” 

Jiyeon wasn't sure what kind of response she was hoping for. Perhaps one where he'd admit his fear. Lower his guard.

“No. It’s not that. It’s just… I really just need some time to process it alone. I really just need to focus on my game for tomorrow right now. I’m sorry for getting mad.” Daniel tried to explain.

But his explanation only hurt her. What hurt more was he didn't even make eye contact with her. His face still glued to the basketball game in front of him.

Was she not someone he trusted? It never occurred to her before.

But not once had he ever relied on her. It had always been the other way around. 

She had assumed it was because… well he was Daniel. But had it been intentional? 

Jiyeon breathed out trying to hold in the disappointment she felt. Disappointment in herself. 

“Ah ok oppa. I understand.” She waited a few minutes until he returned his focus back to his screen before she hung up.

Her tears raged against the gates begging to be released. But she waited until she hung up before allowing them. 

She cried that night praying.. that if she just ignored her inner fears.

They’d just disappear. He still loved her. Wasn't that enough?

She didn't want him to change. She just wanted things to remain as they were. 

They had a date two days later, and the subject was never brought up again. Jiyeon realizing the simple truth. He could get through it himself. Without her. 

… 1.28.2017

“100.”

“100 days.” Daniel repeated the number aloud multiple times. He liked the way it rolled off his tongue.

He was sitting on the ledge of the iconic city wall. Almost 20 meters below a quiet street ran underneath them. Her back comfortably on his chest, resting between his legs, his arms securely fastening her to him.

“It went by so quick.” Jiyeon commented her own arms wrapped around the large stitch stuffed animal she had insisted on bringing with her. 

“I can barely believe that we’ve stayed together for so long.”

It was their 100 day anniversary. To celebrate they had come to the Seoul City Wall (HanYang DoSeong). An idea that had been inspired by the many kdrama's they had watched together. 

They rarely went out for dates, normally settling for cuddling on the sofa, and watching whatever was on TV.

But today was special, and they had gone to a tiny restaurant for dinner. Daniel content with the time he was able to spend with her eating together.

Everything about the whole Kiryang incident disappearing from his thoughts. As long as he had Jiyeon by his side he could endure anything. That was his mindset.

He closed his eyes allowing the smell of lavender exuded from Jiyeon to operate as a calming agent.

It scared him. To be honest. How someone's simple crush had caused her to get hurt. What would happen if Jiyeon was revealed? Would she get hurt as well?

Daniel leaned down and nuzzled his cheek into her soft hair. Hiding the fears in the back of his mind.

“It’s only been 100 days but I can’t imagine how I survived the thousands of days without you.” Daniel confessed ignoring his previous thoughts.

He could hear the light sound of her breathing beneath him.

“Daniel, why do you think we met that day? In Las Vegas I mean.” Jiyeon wondered aloud out of the blue. 

It was a good question. Bringing his attention somewhere else...

What were the chances that he met the pretty girl he had seen dancing randomly at a pool party?

What was the chances that, they would connect so well?

“Call it Fate? Destiny? I think they wanted us to meet.” Daniel reasoned. “If I had never met you I probably wouldn’t be here today.”

“What do you mean?” Jiyeon inquired.

“You were my motivation Jiyeon.” He responded confidently. 

“I wanted to climb to the top to meet you. I had worked my whole life for good grades and a steady job, and after one breakup I felt empty. Then you came into my life, suddenly I dreamed of something I would’ve laughed at before.”

Jiyeon leaned backwards deeper into his embrace as his chin rested on the top of her head.

“So you’re saying you became a professional because of me?” She double checked.

“Yes. I never worked so hard for something before. And as much as I hate to admit it, I worked even harder when you first dumped me. I wanted to see you again, and thought that being a star was the only way.” 

“I see. I really made it hard for you didn’t I?” Her voice was apologetic.

Daniel came behind and kissed her on her cheek. 

“You made it worth it. All the hardships were worth it. Holding you right now. I wouldn’t trade it for anything.” He affirmed.

Daniel watched as a satisfied grin appeared on her lips. A smile that accelerated his heart rate exponentially. 

“What about now? You have her. So what if you get tired of her and move onto a new goal.” She posed a new question.

He chuckled at her unfounded fear.

She was cute the way she referred to herself in the third person.

“What do you mean? My goal is far from over.” He assured her.

“Really?” 

He nodded, his left hand running down her long silky brown hair, unable to find a single tangle.

“My goal is to make her fall deeper in love with me. Then I’m going to marry her, and then much later, I want to have a family with her, and my end goal will be to be buried next to her.” He sighed just thinking about how happy such a future would be.

“Well, you can already check off the first one.” She answered coyly burying her chin into Stitch squishing his head into the body.

"Really?" 

“I’m deeply in love with you Daniel.” She shifted her body, turning to face him. 

The large purple creature the only thing seperating his pelvis and hers.

He held her steady and she began to straddle him tightly. Her soft thighs wrapping around his waist. The innocent friend crushed between them. 

His eyes could no longer wander from her face.

Those almond shaped eyes. 

The adorable smile on her tiny lips. 

The small circles formed by her cheekbones. 

A doll.

Literally... the doll.

"Are you not going to move him?" Daniel whispered nudging his chin towards the Stitch, still waiting for her to initiate more intimacy.

"No. Wasn't planning on it." She shook her head coyly. "I like to keep you longing."

He wanted to kiss her again. Completely entranced by her somewhat naughty charms.

He didn’t deserve her.

She was far our of his league.

Yet somehow she loved him. 

This was why he hid his feelings. Because he was afraid of how she'd see him if she knew how weak he was.

How jealous and obsessive he was towards her.

His lips met hers and he couldn’t break away. Desperately wanting to hold onto her. 

He could feel his entirety pour into his kiss, tilting ever so slightly to allow exploration, deeper and deeper into the depths of the unexplored cavern.

I’ve explored plenty of times… yet each time… I can’t help but want more.

His thoughts drained from his head. Familiarity yet mystery. Two different genres. 

He wondered what kind of entity was watching from above. Whoever it was he prayed it never tore them apart. 

Jiyeon was happy. He was happy beside her. Everything would be ok. Right?

… 1.30.2017

Daniel continued dabbing his hair as with a towel as he walked out of his press conference. They had won a close game after Eric had made the game winning shot. An interview where his personal life was finally not the main focus of the reporter's questions.

Jiyeon was making preparations for her solo comeback and barely had time to come to most games. He couldn’t blame her either. This was another big chance for her. She should put her all into it. He was happy for her.

He walked towards the locker room to grab his gym bag. He knew Jiyeon didn't finish with her recording sessions until late at night, so he’d go to the practice facility. Then, they had planned to meet at her apartment. That would make the long night all worth it.

Daniel had almost forgotten what day it was until he exited his locker room and was startled by someone.

“Hello! My friend!” A familiar voice rang out. Charming.

Daniel was face to face with Big Bang’s Seungri a shining smirk on his face. The famous idol dressed in an expensive black furr coat. He was certainly dressed for a party.

“I thought I’d personally come and invite you to the party tonight.” Seungri revealed.

He forgot that today was technically Korean New Years, the day that he'd been invited to the party. 

He wasn’t going to go.

But it was hard to say no when Big Bang's Seungri was right in front of him.

“I wanted to invite the pretty cheerleader too. Lee Chaeun.”

This type of event certainly would be a great networking event for her.

“Ah, I’m kind of busy.” Daniel responded. “But I could go grab Chaeun-si for you.”

“You’re busy? After a game? Come on just go with your girlfriend.” Seungri coaxed him. 

“She’s not my girlfriend.” Daniel quickly drew the line. 

“Ah, yes. But think of the opportunity an aspiring model could have going. She's your friend isn't she?”

Daniel couldn’t think of another excuse. She was someone he'd classify as a friend.

“Come on, everyone’s excited to see you. I told everyone that you’re coming.” He tried to reason with him.

It was hard to resist him. He seemed to know exactly how to navigate a deal. No wonder he was so successful.

Daniel realized that he was inferring that Chaeun wouldn’t be given this opportunity if he didn’t go as well.

Who was he to stand in someone else’s way? He could go and leave early. After the way he had unintentionally caused hurt to Kiryang. It still weighed on his conscience.

But there was his promise with Jiyeon as well. He had been the one to make the promise, he didn't want to be seen as a hypocrite to her.

“Come on. Everyone’s going to be there. Blackpink, Twice, everyone. Don’t you want to meet such pretty girls if you don’t have a girlfriend yet?” Seungri appealed. 

Choosing between what was easy and holding to his word wasn't easy. 

Sorry.