ii Chapter 4: (2015)

No Longer a Coward

… 10.25.2015

KOREA net: Insider Monkey releases 16 Best Selling Girl Groups of all time.

Notable mentions include KARA at 12, Wonder Girls at 11, T-ara placed 10th, SNSD placed 6th and 2ne1 at 3. 

We are unsurprised at all at famed SNSD and 2ne1’s high ranking. However, are caught off guard by T-ara’s high ranking, as the group has been littered with scandals as of the past 3 years. The Wonder Girls a famed group as well is no surprise either at 11. With KARA rounding out the number 12 spot.

Congrats to the members and fans of all of these groups. My personal favorite SNSD is looking to even jump up higher on their continued rise.

… 10.28.2015

Jiyeon and her members all sat on the couch at a viewing room in their agency. 

Their web drama was being released today and they were all going to watch together. 

It was her first acting since the filming of her movie with Donggun oppa. Each member had filmed two episodes around 20 minutes long with male actors alongside them. 

Jiyeon… well her episode couldn’t be more accurate. Mourning the loss of someone she loved she imagined him returning to her. 

It was scary how accurate the web drama was to her real life. Of course it was an actor alongside her not Daniel. While she was filming a small time web series he was taking over Korea through basketball. Televisions all over Korea were showing highlights of his games, the news eating up everything about him. 

Recently she had seen a news article that was interviewing the owner of a Barbecued Pork Belly Restaurant mentioning how he had tipped them extra to let him change the TV on their restaurant to a MBC Show Champion so he could watch idols perform. 

News outlets were blowing up with content about him. It was so strange, how far he had come. She remembered when he had walked the streets of Korea with no one recognizing him despite him playing NYU games. 

Now the paparazzi posted pictures of him, when she could hardly decipher it was him through the hoodie that he wore to hide his face.

“OH my god I can’t believe I said that!” Eunjung squealed loudly as Jiyeon snapped out of her thoughts.

“I know, we all were cringing in these.” Hyomin commented. 

Jiyeon had been in so many dramas, filmed cinematic music video stories, and other ads that it wasn’t so strange. It was just a downgrade in production quality if anything.

“Did you read the article that was released a few days ago?” Soyeon suddenly brought up looking around at her members. Jiyeon knew the one she was referring to, the Insider Monkey article. 

“I forgot how many albums we once sold all those years ago.” Qri sighed as did Hyomin.

It was moments like this that Jiyeon felt guilty. Her members weren’t trying to, but Jiyeon couldn’t help but feel this way. She had been part of it, no matter how much she told herself it wasn’t.

They had been at the very top. A girl group that could’ve rivaled their close competitors SNSD.

Jiyeon didn’t even bother to try and watch hers, her mind drifted elsewhere and she fell asleep for the rest of the viewing. 

She just closed her eyes for a second.

And the next moment she felt a finger tapping her repeatedly.

“Hey sleepy head. It’s over.” It was Eunjung patting her annoyingly on the head.

“What?” Jiyeon groaned loudly.

“Let’s go practice dancing if you’re going to just sleep.” Eunjung pointed towards the empty viewing room.

“Sorry.” Jiyeon apologized getting up. “Let’s go dance.”

That night was spent dancing, though it didn’t last long. They all knew without anyone saying it, that there was no planned schedules for a while. 

Slowly T-ara would try and seep into Korean entertainment. Several members were starting to be invited to shows again. But it was small shows… honestly they just were really being given a break. 

They had worked so hard to stay relevant in other countries if not Korea. Now, they could only hope that Korea would allow them their return. But Jiyeon knew it was unlikely. In a world where the new best thing was always trending… it was the end of a generation. The 2nd generation would soon end, and she could sense it. 

Maybe that group that had just debuted would take their place, from JYP, Twice…. Jiyeon had a good feeling about them.

… 11.1.2015

SOOMPI: Even God can’t win them all. Seoul SK Knights lose their first game 101-104 to Anyang’s KGC.

November 1st, 2015

Basketball Idol Daniel Choi the star of basketball and possibly sports in Korea right now has lost his first game since joining the SK Knights. The game which started poorly from the beginning as Daniel Choi missed his first three shots in the game. Ended up becoming a close game anyways as Daniel led his team in the second half. Unfortunately it wasn’t enough and the SK Knights lost 101-104. Daniel ended with 14 points.

This however, ends a 9 game winning stream with SK Knights moving to 9-1. The team will play the previous champion Mobis Phoebus on November 4th and there is a lot of talk already.

Their MVP and best player of their team Yang Donggeun has frequently taken to social media to try and dishearten the upcoming star. This will definitely be an exciting game and fans believe it will be close. 

On another note, the past three weeks have seen a question rise that is being asked of many celebrities and idols. 

Beginning on October 22nd when actresses Kim Minjung and Han Chae Ah were asked on that days episode of Happy Together by Yoo Jae Suk

Son Heung min or Daniel Choi?”

Both actresses blushed as Minjung took Heungmin and Chae ah chose our basketball idol.

The question has become a running trend on every variety show as of late where the celebrities are quickly asked “Heungmin or Daniel?”

Thankfully a forum has Netizens counting the votes.

As of November 1st, 2015. Son Heungmin has received over 30 votes and Daniel Choi has received 63 votes.

We will always keep supporting you Son Heungmin, but right now is the age of Daniel Choi. 

////////////////

Top Comments:

“I am gonna be honest I have watched very little basketball besides Daniel and even less soccer, but how can you not love our Basketball idol. He’s so cool and handsome.”

“I love Heungmin oppa, but I am sorry Daniel Choi takes my vote going away. He’s so charming and funny too, especially with female idols. I hope he dates someone soon, if not me, someone really pretty.”

“Daniel oppa, you win going away. I hope you continue to win games and don’t be bothered by your first loss. I bought your jersey and can’t wait to wear it to one of your games! #choifighting!

… 11.4.2015 

Daniel exited onto the court, fans were cheering loudly. He could hear them chanting his name. 

“Daniel! Daniel! Daniel!” 

It was a nice feeling, all the fans. He looked up into the stands. He wondered if she was there as usual. He knew she had been to all of his home games. He felt extra motivated to win those games, knowing she was in attendance. 

However, as hard as he had tried to figure out where she was usually sitting, he had no clue in the giant crowd, it could change each time. 

Every seat was always sold out, and there were way too many females there. If he tried to just scan for a pretty face, there were always plenty of idols in attendance as well. It was literally impossible to find someone not sitting near the courts. 

He knew she had promised to still be friends, but that was over 2 years ago, it would soon be 3 years and he hadn’t texted her much less talked to her. What could he even text at this point? 

Hello, I know you have a boyfriend, but please break up with him.

He wanted an opportunity. He wanted a chance to tell her in person. He didn’t care if she was dating someone else, he would win her back. He needed to tell her that his feelings hadn’t changed, at least be considered as an option.  

“Hey kid head in the game.” Jungsuk slapped him on the back. 

Daniel smiled sheepishly as he got ready to play. He stared at the other team lining up. Number 15, Yang Donggeun. Daniel knew the reigning MVP was probably just jealous of the attention and worried for his own position. But, whatever the reason was, Daniel was competitive. He wasn’t about to let him get away with talking trash to him. 

Besides, not that it was important, but his name Donggeun, was a little to similar to Lee Donggun’s name. Just a minor detail of course. But nevertheless it just added to Daniel’s determination to beat him.

“Let me guard him.” Daniel requested his captain. Staring at the 6’6 forward, he could’ve been intimated.

“He’s 198 cm tall are you sure?” Daniel nodded. Height didn’t matter, Daniel was going to beat him. He wanted Jiyeon to see, he wanted her to see that he would overcome any obstacle in his path. 

“Hey, Daniel-si.” Daniel looked over at the infamous number 15.

“I hope you know we don’t just let little children run over us men.” 

Donggeun tapped his puffed up chest hard to show his manliness and pride. Giving him a large sneer with his lips.

Daniel was more amused then terrified by the action. 

“We’ll this little kid is going to score 50 points on your head.” An arm was placed around Daniel’s shoulder and he looked over and saw his teammate Eric support him from behind.

“Jeez that’s a lot to ask of me.” Daniel complained as he looked up at his center sheepishly.

Eric shrugged his shoulders. 

“You haven’t disappointed before.”

Daniel grinned.

“Well, I guess I better not disappoint then.”

50 points, he would do it. Jiyeon was watching, he wanted her to see his determination. Nothing was going to stop him on his ascent. 

Sports Korea: SK Knights destroy reigning champion’s Mobis Phoebus 120-86. Daniel Choi has 50 points a career high and league record for points. Makes 11, 3-pointers a new career high in points for any player in the KBL. 

… 11.10.2015

“Right, twist, and left leg.” Bae Yoonjung her dance trainer began demonstrating a new dance. 

Even though Jiyeon didn’t have any upcoming concerts until later in December, Jiyeon wanted to keep her dance skills fresh. She begun to take private dance lessons with Yoonjung and started really seeing some improvements in her skills. 

“That’s right. That’s right.” The usually cold and dense choreographer complimented her.

Jiyeon followed her facial expressions and then gave her own playful scowl. 

“Wow, good good.” The dancer exclaimed as they both begun dancing. 

The dance sessions, because of Yoonjung’s increasingly busy schedule. She would soon have to began her preparations for Produce 101, a new idol competition program, that Yoonjung had begged her to appear with her on. 

“You’re one of my favorite students. Why can’t you make an appearance?” She would say. 

To which Jiyeon would just cite her scandal as the reasons. 

Part of it was just the fear of appearing on Reality shows in Korea again. Part of it was fear of what kind of reactions she would see from the trainees. Would they even know her? Would they just know her as the bully?

These things occupied her thoughts and dissuaded her from ever even requesting to be on a show. 

Then there was the fact that she had heard that Dani would be going on the show. She was extremely happy, but didn't want her to feel pressured by her either. 

“ah, it’s such a shame.” Yoonjung commented as she they ended the dance practice. Jiyeon already knew she was talking about the show. That was all she talked about lately. 

“One of my best students is afraid to appear on the show because of her scandal, the other of my best students won’t even appear as a trainee because she’s given up her dream.” Yoonjung remarked. Jiyeon wasn’t really sure which one was her.

“Am I the first one?” She asked half joking, half serious.

The choreographer sighed as she nodded. 

“Who’s the second one?” Jiyeon wondered aloud.

“She’s just an old trainee who I evaluated. Then gave up her dream. She actually used to be from a large organization. It’s a shame.” 

“Well at least I’m not alone in disappointing you.” Jiyeon replied smugly. “Those poor trainees on the show, they don’t know what they’re getting with you.” 

“The first auditions are soon. I guess I’ll have to do my best to be gracious won’t I?” Yoonjung was the harshest choreographer Jiyeon had ever met. 

Jiyeon remembered her first time working with her, she’d never as an idol been yelled at so much for messing up. 

She had actually been afraid of the strict trainer, before realizing how talented, and helpful she really was if you just kept your head down and worked hard.

“Give them hell, unnie.” Jiyeon expressed her support. 

The creepy smile that formed on Bae Yoonjung’s lips, those poor trainees. 

They didn’t know what was coming for them...

… 12.7.2015

Daniel ducked his head and rushed into the van as the doors closed behind him, his fans cheered for him. The screams and sound of his name echoing behind him. Lately he was not even able to leave the stadium without being crowded by fans waiting at the exit of the arena. 

Security had to start setting up fences that led to his van pickup spot to allow him to leave. He had learned that fans that didn’t even watch the game would show up just to see him as he left. 

His apartment was full of gifts and cards from his fans, sometimes there was some nice stuff, he had gotten a pair of shoes, that were too small unfortunately but thoughtful nonethelss. He received clothes, snacks, and much more, some he promised to give Jenny after.

He had to wear sunglasses and a hat everywhere he went and even then he was often rushed by fans because of his recognizable height. This was what it was like to be a top star. 

Even practices would have large amounts of press and reporters struggling to try and get in and take photos of him. His coach had finally had enough, worried that other teams might try and steal information from their practices, had banned reporters from entering practices until after they were finished. 

Daniel had once dreamed of being a real celebrity like this. But now that he was one, he missed his old life. 

He missed just walking around without the feeling of anyone watching. He began to understand Jiyeon, he began to understand the fear and dread she felt whenever she had to look around for paparazzi. 

He was in the media’s good graces but he felt pressured still, fear that he would mess up. He couldn’t even began to wonder what it must have felt like to be the subject of ridicule. 

Then there was the fact they had still yet to speak. He had met over 50 different female idols from various groups taking pictures and signing autographs, yet he hadn’t met her. Not that it was an accomplishment but he had the numbers and Kakao talks of many of them.

He knew she was always there watching. He knew she would wear his jerseys sometimes, but did it mean anything? No. She was still in a happy relationship with the actor. Lee Donggun.

He had read articles about the two going on weekly public night excursions. Their dates, especially her outfits, becoming a topic of conversation and popularity. 

With his head constantly occupied by these worries, it was no wonder he found himself unable to just be at peace. 

“Can we get something to eat?” He looked at Mike, his agent, who sat in the passenger seat. 

“Sure.” 

Suddenly he saw his phone flooded with messages from his teammates. He remembered how they had talked about eating after the game. Daniel of course didn’t mind joining them. 

“Jungsuk Hyung and Eric Hyung are getting dinner together I’ll just join them.”

“We can drop you off then.” Mike stated. 

Daniel nodded as they sped towards a nice restaurant in the heart of Gangnam. They had just won their 19th game. They were 19-1 now, easily the best team in Korea by a landslide.

“We need to start doing endorsements soon you know? Son Heung min has already taken the Adidas and Samsung ads.” Mike slyly proposed comparing him again with the rising soccer star.

Daniel nodded. He didn’t really care, he was just happy to be a celebrity, he respected the soccer and player and didn’t want to compare with him.

On the subject of commercials, he had purposely not wanted to do any endorsements. Mainly because he knew how much time each one would take to film. He was tired all the time from playing games and working out whenever he had the chance. 

The thought that he would have to stand for another 4 hours to take photos. It didn’t sound like a great day to him. Plus, he didn’t want to do one, if he wasn’t standing beside the one he loved. If he wasn’t next to Jiyeon it felt meaningless.

“Thanks Hyung.” Daniel expressed as they arrived at the high class restaurant. 

Thankfully there was no crowd outside, a rare occurance on the night streets of Gangam, though there were certainly people walking down the sidewalk. He placed a his hoodie over his hair and wore a mask as he exited the van. Spotting his teammates, he walked right into through the glass doors of the restaurant. 

The restaurant was quite busy. A high end trendy Sashimi restaurant which had prices that made it the goto place for many celebrities and wealthy customers. 

They were immediately shown to a table as Daniel ducked his head while walking through the restaurant. He was pretty sure he had already been recognized by the waiter ushering them in though. 

“Great win today guys.” Jungsuk announced as the food arrived 

In front of them stood bottles of soju and a wooden boat full of fresh raw fish thinly sliced. Daniel felt his mouth salivating as he stared at it. 

“This is my treat.” Jungsuk told them holding up his wallet.

“Ya! I should pay I promised too.” Daniel interjected. But Eric patted him on the back.

“You’ve done enough for us.” Eric replied. 

“You may not realize this, but I’ve never felt like a basketball star... Until now, so many people come to watch our games it finally makes me feel like a professional athlete like all my hardwork is paying off.”

Daniel nodded. He understood what he meant. His popularity could positively or negatively affect his teammates, he was glad that it seemed to be positive for the most part.

As they began to drink more it was apparent that his captain was enjoying himself a little too much. They were already three bottles in of the stronger liquor.

“Daniel.” He suddenly brought up out of the blue. When he was drunk Jungsuk, was well… let’s say he acted much less mature than Daniel who was the actual Maknae.

“Yes Hyung?” 

“Why don’t you date one of those… pretty idols? Why don’t you do photo shoots with all the pretty girls? I don’t understand it. You’re not going to be young and successful forever.” Jungsuk slapped the table loudly, at what seemed to be genuine frustration. 

Daniel chuckled slightly amused by his hyungs antics.

“Cause I need to focus on basketball for now.”

“Bull .” This time it was Eric chiming in with his thoughts.

“You have plenty of time, you just spend it at home or working out at the facility. The coach even doesn’t want you to keep coming into the gym to workout cause he's worried you’re going to injure yourself.”

“Just date someone will you? Then we can all shower her with our love too.” Jungsuk was practically begging him.

“So you want me to date one, so you can meet her too?”

“Exactly.” Jungsuk drunkenly pointed his finger towards a poster of 9Muses Kyungri holding a soju bottle smiling coyly in a y black cocktail dress. “That girl asked for your number. She wants to date you. And you brushed her off. How?” 

Daniel nodded understanding their confusion a little better.

“I like someone, that’s why. It’s been a while since I was rejected, but I don’t want to like anyone else until I’m sure she’s done with me.” Daniel mumbled.

“You?” This time it was Eric who was in a drunken rage. 

“You got rejected? Daniel Choi rejected? You should ask again. You are Korea’s number 2 guy! No one would refuse you. Under Kim Soohyun of course.” 

They all laughed heartily at his joke. Daniel took another shot of soju, he too was beginning to feel sort of drowsy.

“Excuse me? Can I get your autograph.” Daniel turned and locked eyes with a cute waitress who held a pen and paper.

“Sure.” Daniel gave his best smile and took the pen. “What’s your name?”

He looked up and saw the girl was blushing madly. He sighed and signed it anyways knowing she wasn’t able to speak.

He gave her the signature and she bowed before leaving.

“I’m going to use the bathroom.” Eric announced as he got up from his seat. 

In any other situation this would be an odd mix of people the 22 year old young man with two other men, one thirty and the other past it. It might’ve looked like a company gathering with the new intern. 

Suddenly a grinning Eric returned shortly after. 

“Guess who I saw on my way to the bathroom.”

“Who?” Jungsuk asked.

“Lee Donggun.” 

Daniel’s heart dropped at that moment. His name, just the sound resonated in Daniel’s ears. Was Jiyeon with him? He couldn’t face her like this. 

“The actor?” Jungsuk interrogated.

“Of course. He was with his girlfriend too, daebak she’s so pretty. She’s that Kpop star you know? I saw pictures of their dates trending on naver, I guess it’s pretty public…” He continued rambling on.

“Where?” Daniel managed to interrupt his hyung to get an answer.

“In the booth over there.” He pointed to the a glass wall separating the restaurant in two different rooms. 

Daniel squinted his eyes trying to make her out. That’s when he noticed it, her now shoulder length hair, her large round eyes, her elegant face. They were blurry through the glass, but he knew it was her. It gave him chills seeing her.

“He asked me if I was Eric, the SK Knight player and said he would come say hi soon. Dude a real celebrity is going to visit us…” Eric continued rambling his voice filled with excitement. 

“No way.” Jungsuk seemed to bein denial. 

Daniel glanced over as saw them rise from their seats and disappear from his field of vision. Were they really coming here? What was he supposed to say? Jiyeon was there. What could he say? They hadn’t spoken in two years. 

His heart began to pound, drums beaten repeatedly as he struggled to bear the aching pain he felt pressing against him.

“Excuse me sorry to bother you.” 

All three basketball players turned to a handsome man in his mid 30s, he had an aura of sophistication and class. Next to him a stunningly beautiful girl, with a thin tapered waist and blemishless white skin.

It was Jiyeon. After all this time this was how they met again. Him sitting awkwardly with two drunk men. Her with her new boyfriend.  

How cruel… was all he could think. She was staring at the ground, obviously uncomfortable as well, but quickly hid her pained expression with a smile.

“I am a big fan of your team, and my girlfriend as well. As I’m sure you’ve already seen is a huge fan. Especially of you Daniel-si. I wish I could say I was as good as you are when I was young at sports, but that’d be a lie.” His voice was deep it had a maturity and class to it. 

It made him jealous, Daniel wondered if that was more Jiyeon’s style. He glanced defeatedly towards Jiyeon, this time they met each others gazes.

“Hello.” Daniel introduced himself nervously. 

What else could he say? He didn’t want to put her in a rough situation, but seeing her was killing him internally.

“Nice to meet you.” Her voice was meek, barely audible. 

It was the same cute, and low voice he remembered. Daniel felt his legs start to lock up.

“Wow, our Daniel is not usually this nervous to meet anyone.” Eric joked patting him on the back. 

“But it’s really an honor to meet you. I’m such a fan.” Jungsuk took over the conversation to making Daniel extremely grateful.

“Actually I’m sure my girlfriend would appreciate it if Daniel could you give her your signature?” Lee Donggun spoke for her. 

The way he said ‘my girlfriend’ made Daniel burn with jealousy. Daniel had never been able to proudly announce it to the world like this man could. 

Daniel nodded hiding all of his thoughts behind a fake smile.

 “Of course. I would like one too if you don’t mind Jiyeon-si.” 

They traded signatures and Lee Donggun smiled and thanked them before he put his arm around Jiyeon and led her away towards the exit.

“Daebak.” Eric gasped.

“Actually, how can someone my age be so handsome.” Jungsuk remarked. 

“Dude are you ok? You look out of it.” Eric patted him on the back. Daniel felt like he couldn’t breathe. 

His heart ached seeing her with someone else.

“I’m fine.” Daniel mumbled.

“Oh yah, I remember I read you’re a fan of T-ara aren’t you?” Jungsuk remembered. 

Was that all he was? Just a fan. He prayed not.

… 

“Oppa. I want to just walk around alone.” Jiyeon suddenly requested, removing his hand from her shoulder. They had been walking around finishing their public date, but Jiyeon couldn’t enjoy it. Not when her mind was filled with thoughts about their awkward encounter.

Donggun turned towards her. His warm smile showed and he nodded. “Thanks for the date, I’ll see you next week. Are you sure you don't want a ride to your apartment?"

Jiyeon nodded. It felt like she was still acting in a drama with him. Because that’s all they were, they were acting. Part of her felt guilt that he was still so calm with her, when she clearly had never reciprocated his feelings.

Then there was the event, seeing Daniel again, it made her want to quit her acting. 

At that moment all of her wanted to give up everything and jump into his arms. But it was too late for that. He was far above her now. Hitting a higher high than she had ever reached. Every person in Korea would soon know him. 

She walked along the street, she was still a celebrity, but without any current promotions she found herself rather unnoticeable with just a hood shielding her face.

She just wanted to get some air. Secretly she wondered if she would bump into him again. 

“Jiyeon-si.” Everything around her froze at that moment. Jiyeon turned around. He heard his voice. She swore she did.

There was no one. No Daniel, it was her imagination...