ii Chapter 9: (2016)

No Longer a Coward

 

… 7.21.2016

POV: Broadcast

The broadcast shows the large concert venue filled with thousands of stands as the camera pans to two handsome men. One is the familiar Shinee’s Key. The other a new figure a tall handsome young man who viewers suddenly recognize as Daniel Choi.

“M Count! Hello everyone.” Key says as they both bow.

“I’m Key.” The first hosts introduces.

“And I’m Daniel.” The second introduces his Korean slightly awkward. However, the crowd cheers excitedly as the female fans behind him jump up and down squealing in delight.

“We are going to be your MC’s for tonight as we introduce tonight’s strong performances. What do you say everyone ready?” Key asks as everyone cheers.

“Today I am happy to join Key for the first time, so please bare with me as I try my best.” Daniel confesses, a goofy smile on his face. The girls cheer again.

“Wow, if I didn’t know better I’d say you’re the idol performing today.” Key jokes as they both laugh.

“I don’t have any talent for that unfortunately, but I will introduce tonight’s group of idols who have so much talent it makes me look in Wonder! Welcome Wonder Girls performing their single Why so Lonely!” 

“Ah I see what you did there.” Key points out Daniel’s joke. 

Gfriend leaves the stage after performing their song Navillera with a colorful and childhood playroom kind of background combined with a quick beat and uplifting melody. The camera returns to the hosts where Key is standing next to Daniel.

“Actually seeing the hoop in the background makes me want to play basketball.” Daniel admits as they both chuckle.

“Maybe you should ask the crew to let you score one before they change it.” Key added on.

“That would be nice, but the next group performing are climbing up the charts at record speed, creating a fire… wait someone should put it out!” Daniel delivers his line.

“That’s right the next group performing, is extinguishing their competition. Let's welcome NCT 127 with their single Fire Truck!” Key announces.

All of the groups stand together on the stage waiting nervously as the two hosts enter the center of the stage.

“Tonight we saw many talented performers.” Key begins.

“And extremely flashy performances.” Daniel adds on.

“But unfortunately there is only one winner. Right, Daniel you would know being a winner?” Daniel laughs along with the crowd as he nods.

“Yes, that’s right, this weeks winner had a shocking score of 9,154 points and won both the fans and our hearts.” Daniel replies.

“The winner is.” Key hands the card over to Daniel who hesitates a second building anticipation.

“GFRIEND performing Navillera!” Daniel calls out as the audience cheers. 

The camera shows the members all in their white tennis dresses and jump up and down. Overjoyed as the other groups around them congratulate their win.

“Congratulations to everyone’s girlfriend as they pick up their much deserved win.”

“Did you just say my girlfriend?” Key teases as Daniel blushes and chuckles.

“Actually that’s just my imagination talking.” He corrects himself as the audience laughs.

GFriend takes the stage again for a light hearted encore performance for their win.

Suddenly they all huddle together as they seem to be discussing something before they all pat their leader Sowon on the back. She suddenly rushes over to the hosts and places her arm around Daniels. The crowd cheers as she drags him towards the stage. 

All the other girls are laughing and grinning as he joins them on the stage. The idols around them cheering for him. 

They place him in the center and start doing the chorus choreography as he struggles to follow along. Everyone is cheering as Daniel tries his best to follow them awkwardly, but a cute performance at the end. 

“Wow, not bad for a basketball idol.” Key comments watching.

“Don’t go away because we’ll be right back to interview Gfriend on their win with Navillera!” 

KOREABOO: Daniel Choi cohosts Mnet Countdown’s The Show as a special guest, and has cute performance with Gfriend at the end. 

July 22nd, 2016

Daniel Choi recently appeared as a surprise cohost on Mnet Countdown’s The Show along with Shinee’s Key and I loved it. Daniel made multiple charming remarks that really touched our heart hoping he would continue to be on the show. 

At the end after announcing GFriend’s win with their song Navillera. The GFriend members all got together and dragged the Basketball idol to go perform with them. He wasn’t half bad as he struggled to follow their advanced choreography. At the end he jokingly fell backwards pretending to be exhausted as the members of Gfriend laughed and blushed at the same time. 

After the show, Daniel Choi posted on his instagram a selfie with the members congratulating them on their win. Unfortunately Daniel is not scheduled as a host for any future episodes as of yet. Though Netizens have taken to forums pleading for him to make more appearances. 

#Danielpermanenthost trending all over SNS and forums.

GFriend’s Sowon posted a picture with Yuju on their Social Media with the #Choi21 and the caption: We’re winners too! <3

Netizens have also commented how the heights of Gfriend’s Sowon, usually a giant among idols, and the already tall Basketball idol Daniel Choi seemed to match perfectly and seemed to make a cute couple.

///////////////////

Top Comments:

“#Danielpermanenthost I know he has many other schedules but he was so good even on one show!” 

“We need more variety shows with him, I’m dying for more Daniel content. Could he at least make a vlive channel? Or start vlogging I’ll do anything to get more Daniel irl!”

… 7.27.2016

“80/88.” His trainer commented.

“81/89.” 

“82/90!” Daniel signaled for the trainer to stop passing him the ball as he began to gasp for air. Sipping onto the water bottle that had been recently refilled by a helper.

Even if it was the summer, he wasn’t stopping practicing. Everyday he could, he used basketball as a way to clear his head. 

There was so much going in on his mind. Thoughts of his popularity, his future… would he ever try again to play in the NBA. He was making double what he might’ve made in the NBA with endorsements here. Then there was his thoughts of her.

“Again from the other corner.” His trainer pointed to the other side of the basketball court and Daniel moved towards there to practice again.

By the time his practice was over, it had been 4 hours. He had started at 6 am and now it was 10. He took a shower at the practice facility, and wondered if Jenny had woken up yet. 

The feeling of the warm water dripping down his hair and onto his face felt heavenly. He ran his hand through his hair to get the remaining suds out. 

When he had dried off and changed into some casual clothes, a white bomber paired with a grey shirt and black jeans. He exited the practice facility passing by Eric who seemed to be starting his workout. He waived at his teammate and he smiled back. 

A chauffeur dropped his car at the front and he instantly dialed his sister wondering if she was awake.

Yes?” 

Rise and shine.” 

What time is it?” Her voice was hoarse as if she had just woken up.

“10?”

“It’s too early… aren’t you tired?” She yawned again.

“You’re letting the college life really get to you.” Daniel teased his sister. 

Shut up ahjussi.” She teased back. “I’ll get ready, do you have a schedule today?

“Nope it’s my day off. What do you want to do?” 

Shopping!” Her voice immediately brightened up fully awake now garnering a chuckle from him.

Please oppa!” 

“That was quick. Alright I’ll buy you whatever you want today.” Daniel gave in his sister’s cuteness causing him to waiver. She had after all been here for him and support him through these past months. She deserved a gift.  

Daniel wore his hat low on his face as he followed his sister through the cute Kakao friends store. The store itself was genius, a three level store with cute plush animals and memorabilia on the first two stories and a third floor cafe at the top. 

Adorable bears, characterized dumplings, everything that could possibly portray Korea’s social media emoticons in a cute way were pictured as plush animals. Jenny was immersed instantly oohing and squealing at each one, like a girl 10 years younger than her. 

However, the large amount of groups of 3 or 4 young girls in their teens frightened him. This was the perfect place to be completely crowded. 

His sister who had completely refused to wear anything to hide her identity strolled around the store like she owned it. Picking out gifts for some of her close friends and cute pajamas for their parents that Daniel knew they’d wear once.

Daniel wondered what outrageous price he would end up having to pay for it. Not that it mattered he had made almost 6 million USD only on commercials and endorsements this summer. 

“OMG I need to get these socks. You should get some too.” She pointed towards the character no show socks. The cute emoticon animals printed on brightly colored socks.

“You’re insane.” Daniel almost scoffed out loud before turning to see his sister’s face. Disappointment painted on her face, he couldn’t not buy them now. 

He wasn’t even sure if they were in his size, but they ended up buying several pairs. 

“Give me your card and I’ll check out. Why don’t you wait upstairs at the cafe I want to try their macarons.” Jenny offered. Daniel revealed his credit card somewhat hesitant to give it to his cheeky younger sister. But ended up surrendering it in a few seconds. 

The thought of dessert and a cold drink… now she was speaking his language. Food sounded therapeutic at the moment.

He walked away just in time as he noticed from behind him his sister get approached by several teenage girls.

“Excuse me? Are you Choi Jenny?” The school girl inquired. 

He knew she should’ve worn a hat. How would his sister handle it.

“Yes. Actually I am.” He forgot she probably had dealt with these situations before in America. 

“Daebak, I knew it was you, you’re visiting from America right?” Another girl added.

“Yes.” Jenny nodded. 

“Can we take a picture with you!” 

Jenny nodded again and the girls squealed as they gathered around her. 

Daniel couldn’t help but grin as he saw a genuine smile appear on his sister’s face. 

Still afraid of being spotted he stepped onto the escalator leading towards the third floor. He was thinking about how Jenny had become popular as more than just his sister. Sometimes wondered if she might start becoming an influencer. But also knew that might give his mother and father a heart attack. 

He reached the top, and had to admit the cute cafe was certainly a place he regretted not visiting before. 

There were cute cookies placed neatly in glass display cases, the aroma of freshly baked macarons in the air. The sound of a blender mixing different brightly colored smoothies. The type of place to grab a drink and post it on social media to boast to your friends. 

There was not too many people, a few groups of girls all hanging together, a couple, Jiyeon, another group of teenage girls… wait

Jiyeon, it was her. Sitting alone a bucket hat the only thing covering part of her face. But he recognized her instantly. Her eyes, nose lips. Everything he could point out immediately. 

He froze. He backed away at first. Had she seen him? No. It needed to stay that way. But below him he knew his sister was with a small crowd of girls. 

If he was spotted things couldn’t end well. Reacting quickly, he dipped his hat even lower as he spotted a table on the far other end. Sitting purposely facing away from her table. As he reached into his pocket to text his sister. He wanted to leave before anything happened. 

Jiyeon sat staring out the window the pretty cafe. Her psychiatrist had recommended she do things like this. Leave her apartment and just get out of the house and be part of society. 

Jiyeon who wasn’t an adventurous type enjoyed trying out several cafes. This was one her manager had recommended to her. She had been to the store before with her members, but had never been to the cafe. She enjoyed it, it had a nice ambiance and was a nice place to just relax. 

She was sipping on a chocolate smoothie her eyes glued to a magazine. She knew she shouldn’t read this, she probably didn’t want to know what he said. But the cover, and everything… she couldn’t resist the urge. 

The June edition of Elle. The one that had sold out instantly everywhere, that still seemed to be backordered. Thankfully one of her managers had gotten an issue and had lent it to her. 

The cover was something else, she had never expected Daniel to show off such a side. The usual goofy and warm smile that she remembered from before replaced by a serious and stunningly handsome grin. The model of course… the luckiest women in the world.

There was an interview conducted on him as well.

Question: What are your future plans now that you’ve conquered the sports and entertainment industry?

Answer: I wouldn’t say I’ve conquered. I think I passed one hurdle, but I certainly believe that I can accomplish even more, and I won’t stop trying until I no longer can. If I believe there is a top to reach I’ll keep climbing.

Question: I know you’ve been interviewed on this before, but what is your ideal type in a women?

Answer: It’s the same. My ideal type is still the same. I like a girl who is different. Someone who stands out from the others whether it’s her personality, her charm, or the way she carries herself. 

Question: Seeing how you’ve garnered so much success here, it hasn’t always been like that, what is your biggest regret?

Answer: There was opportunity… it got away from me. Looking back I should’ve held onto it and chased it further. But regretfully there’s nothing I can do as I’ve already lost it. I wish I could say that I just continue to move onto new opportunities and have grown past it, but I still have regrets about one.

Was he talking about her when he talked about the opportunity? Even after all this time… was he still in love with her?

It seemed impossible.

“Isn’t that Park Jiyeon?” She heard the whisper from a table across from her.

“The girl who caused the scandal?”

“Yah, bully Jiyeon. That one.” 

“Daebak no way.” 

“She looks stuck up. No wonder people call her a .”

“I heard she’s in a fake relationship too.” 

“I don’t see her boyfriend so maybe it’s true.”

Jiyeon breathed out. She couldn’t let comments bother her. But hearing them in person were so much worse than just reading them.

She needed to leave, before she snapped. She breathed out silently trying to contain her composure.

“Hey let’s take a picture of her.” 

“We might become trending because of that.”

Jiyeon pulled her hat onto her head lower and stood up to leave. She walked a few paces when she heard the girls rise from their seats. 

Were they going to follow her?

Jiyeon who couldn’t bare to have another scandal, felt her heart began to pound as she quickened her pace. She walked down the escalator to the second floor and tried her best to disappear into the long aisles. 

“She went that way.” 

Jiyeon sped towards the only place that she could see the restroom. Walking quickly as she was about to enter through the door to the female restroom.

Before she could react a pair of arms yanked her away and through an entrance. A tight grip pulled her into the male restroom and she was about to squeal when a hand was placed over .

The moment the hand touched she knew exactly who her assailant was. He slammed the restroom door shut and leaned his back against it. Her face buried into his chest as both his hands were clutching her tightly into his tall figure. She didn’t even try to struggle, completely caught off guard by his sudden appearance.

Where had he appeared from? Why was he here?

Daniel… 

For several seconds her face lay frozen against his strong chest. The familiar scent of his cologne calming her, she was afraid to move, part of her wanting to nuzzle her face deeper, and part of her terrified of its implications. She felt the energy from her legs give out as she fell helpless into his embrace, his strong arms only holding her tighter.

There was silence utter silence.

I swore she went this way. But the bathroom is empty.”

“Maybe you saw wrong.”

“Are you sure it even was her?”

“I swear you’re blind.”

“Whatever… let’s go.”

The footsteps of the girls could be heard leaving. She sighed in relief. Suddenly she remembered that she was completely wrapped up and engulfed in his arms. He was breathing just as hard his eyes staring off into the distance. 

He didn’t do anything more, he didn’t run his hands down her back like he had done before. He didn’t  his hands through her hair like he could’ve. Instead he slowly released her, and smiled.

Jiyeon still stunned to see him, found herself still speechless. He wore a cap that shielded part of his eyes, but it was still the same warm smile, even if he was significantly more handsome, it remained the same.

Then without saying anything he opened the door and he exited. Disappearing as mysteriously as he had appeared. 

Why didn’t she say anything?

“Sorry that took so long.” Jenny was holding two large bags of gifts in each hand and handed one to him. Daniel happily took it deciding not to mention his run in with her. 

“Do you still want something from the cafe?”

“I’m ok.” Daniel quickly brushed off the idea, he couldn’t run into her again. 

It had taken everything he had holding back after seeing her again. The short moment he had, it would have to be enough for now. No words had been said, yet he felt a million words flow through both of them. A hundred questions answered, even more unanswered. But that moment had sealed his feelings. His heart pounded just as quickly as it had when he had last seen her. He still loved her. Desperately.

“Ok, let’s go to the Line Friends store now.” Jenny quickly pointed towards a store that Daniel swore looked exactly the same as the one they had just come from. 

However, he nodded and followed her. Today would be a long day. Daniel could only sigh as he realized they hadn’t even started shopping for clothes. Flashing a smile to his sister as he followed her to the next store.

He did owe her.

… 7.28.2016

Korea Talk: Pictures of Choi Daniel and sister shopping Gangnam district begin trending.

Yesterday, several paparazzi from Dispatch spotted Basketball idol Choi Daniel and his sister a Social media star now roaming around Gangnam-daero. Several public pictures on SNS with some school girls who met Choi Jenny are shown below. 

The basketball idol who seemed to happily follow his younger sister carrying bags and bags of luxury brand clothes and cute memorabilia touched the hearts of Netizens.

[+86,215, -3,565] “I love how close the two siblings are. My brother would just fight and complain with me if I ever asked him to go shopping with me. He is truly an angel his personality and his charms.” 

Some netizens went as far as to comment the two visual siblings looked almost like a couple while shopping. Many began raving about the cute and pretty younger sister, wondering if she may ever become a celebrity following in her brother's footsteps.

After winning a championship it has touched my heart how great of a person he seems to be even outside of the basketball court.

… 8.1.2016

“What?” Jiyeon had dropped the phone in her hands, that was how shocked she was. 

Sitting in her CEO’s office, she had wondered why she had been called. Were they finally going to begin planning a comeback for her? But the news she had just heard completely shook her.

“You’re being asked to model for the SK Knights new Jersey release with Adidas. They are choosing between the idols who attended the most games during the season, it’s between you 9Muses Kyungri, and Girl’s Day Yura.” Her CEO revealed.

Jiyeon stared at Jooyoung. Who seemed just as surprised as she did. 

It didn’t make sense… her?

“This could be a great chance for you to hit a reset button, any photoshoots with that Choi Daniel seems to be finding success.” The CEO continued. 

Jiyeon nodded hesitantly. He wasn’t wrong the success of the last Elle cover. The commercials he had been in, all had become topics of conversation among the internet. His previous lipstick commerical even played on large billboards in Gangnam often.

“But I haven’t had a performance in 7 months, T-ara hasn’t had a debut in a long time… Why would they choose me over the other two?” Jiyeon still was in disbelief.

“Aigoo,” The CEO chuckled amusingly. “What happened to the confidence of the girl who won prettiest idol in both Japan and Korea, and 4th most beautiful in China only two years ago.”

Jiyeon wondered where her confidence had gone. She had once prided herself on being one of Korea’s top visual members back in 2012. Where had that Jiyeon gone?

Perhaps it was the scandals, perhaps it was the fact that she felt like she was a burden to everyone. Her managers, her members, her friends, and even her family.

“You’re still one of the most beautiful idols Jiyeon, trust me you’re still in the top.” Jooyoung assured her.

Jiyeon just couldn’t get past her shock, what did it matter? She wasn’t popular enough. No, worse, she was hated among most.

“They’re just going to have all 3 of you take turns shooting with him and then go with the person they like the best.” The CEO explained calming her fretting slightly. 

Jiyeon still felt uncomfortable about it. After her surprise run in with him. How could she even act around him?

He had rescued her and yet neither had exchanged a single word. A completely different run in then when she had first met him. What did it even mean? Why was he there? Was it destiny?

Now she was supposed to be in a photoshoot with him? However small the chances were, she fretted at the thought of starring next to him, the pressure. 

Controlling her feelings wouldn’t be easy around him.

… 8.3.2016

KOREABOO: SK Knights and Adidas announce female idol will model with Daniel for the release of the new Jerseys for the next KBL season. 

August 3rd 2016

As of yesterday in a recent press conference, Adidas KR executive Jung Joonmin released a statement that of the idols with the most attendance at the SK Knights games the final three would all compete to become the spokesperson for the SK Knights.

This comes as quite a surprise after many believed that Lee Chaeeun the beautiful cheerleader for the SK Knights had been the spokes person for the past two years. However, this comes as no surprise that the Basketball Idol would model alongside another idol. 

The final three idols are all stunning visually and we can’t wait to see who they choose.

  1. 9Muses Kyungri, after costarring in a recent CF with him that touched many hearts and increased ESTEE LAUDER KR market share by 3% on release I think she is a heavy favorite.
  2. Girl’s Day Yura, a participant on the past show “Idol Practice Camp” I think it’s no surprise that she has a strong case. There is also the clip of Daniel Choi helping her learn to shoot and her blushing at the handsome athlete which has over 5 million views on youtube. 
  3. T-ara’s Jiyeon, after being one of the earliest supporters of our handsome oppa by wearing his jersey and the popularized blue NYU hoodie, I shouldn’t be surprised by this pick. However, after the many scandals and current dating relationship it has been over 7 months since Jiyeon appeared on any screen.

Many netizens took to the forums wondering why AOA’s Seolhyun a known heavy fan of the team wasn’t chosen as one of the top 3. Though we know that this was solely based on how many of the SK Knight’s games they were in attendance of, it is quite strange the picks. 

Who do you think will star next to the Basketball Idol Daniel Choi as the spokesperson and main model?

///////////////////

Top Comments:

“I honestly think visually any of those three would look stunning as the spokesperson. I like the idea to make it sort of a competition to build anticipation. However, I would be very surprised if Kyungri doesn’t become the spokes person. She matched so well with Daniel and the chemistry seemed great in the CF.”

“I hope T-ara’s Jiyeon wins, I know everyone is hating on her, but I think it’s been too long since we’ve seen anything about them. T-ara is still a great group with so much talent its such a waste.”

“I’m going to constantly be cheering for Yura, she’s so beautiful and cute. I think she would fit in so well, she can play basketball pretty well too. I think they would be visually stunning together. With Girl’s day Hyeri’s popularity I think Yura would be a favored choice.”