Successor Formality

Ransomed Fiancée

Chaeyoung

 

 

Monday morning, Mina's eyes bore into mine in disbelief. She looked at me as if I had two heads. "We're doing what?"
 

 

I sighed, closing the folder I had revise and placing it on the counter. "I didn’t want to appear too eager, so I told Mrs Eri you and I had an errand to run this morning. She assumed it was to go get a marriage licenseand I never corrected her."
 

 

She picked up our plates and carried them to the sink. I had to admit she was a damned good cook. I couldn't remember the last time I had eaten breakfast at home that didn't come out of a box. She went to the mall yesterday for an "errand" and when she returned, it took two trips with me helping to bring up all the groceries she bought. I had thought she was crazybut I was having second thoughts. Dinner last night had been some kind of delicious chicken and her scrambled eggs today were stellar. So was her coffee, fully approved of the purchase of the new coffee maker. She slumped against the sink, scrubbing her face. "You can let her think it, but we don’t have to do it."
 

 

I shook my head. "Nope. We’re doing it. I want a paper trail. We don’t have to get married, just have the license." I lifted a signed up check I had written off the table. "Consider it a fair trade for my donation." I arched my eyebrow at her. "My very generous donation." Pertaining to the fund for God Littest Angle she mentioned I did in our first meeting with the Hirai. It wasn't really a huge deal for me but I could use it to my advantages.
 

 

She had the grace to look embarrassed. "I told you, I had no idea what someone in your financial bracket would consider generous. When Hana was talking about it, one of the other women was a little catty and said she wouldn’t consider anything under a thousand generous." She shrugged. "Before I realized what I was saying, I had blurted out you had donated seven thousand. It certainly shut her up."
 

 

"I bet it did. And it's fine. Except, you owe me, so, we'll get one real-fake marriage license." This is business after all. There had to be give and take, mutual concessions and compromises.
 

 

She dumped her coffee in the sink. "Fine. I'll go get ready" She stomped past me and because she made me want to make her angry, I grabbed her wrist, dragging her to my lap. She gasped, pushing me awayand I laughed at her ineffectual struggle. "Want me to come scrub your back? I'll make another donation to God Littlest Angel" I smirked mischievously.
 

 

She elbowed me in the ribs, making me lose my gripand she stumbled to her feet. Not forgetting her iconic monster crab-like pinch. I hissed and rubbed my arm, her pinch was surprisingly painful. She sent a quick glare "Be careful, Chaeyoungor I'll take you with me to the shelter and have you neutered!" I burst out laughing at her indignation, letting her marched away muttering under her breath. I had no idea why I enjoyed her outrage—but I did.







 

*  *  *  *

The elevator opened directly into a private office. I could see Mrs Eri behind the glass wall working on paper with her glasses on. I fixed my tie and wore my black-stripped blazer that hung on my arm, proper grooming and a professional appearance were important. It determined your outlook, attitudes, motivation, actions and created a good impression. The assistant informed her upon my arrival. Mrs Eri smiled and shook my hand, offering me a seat at her private conference table. Her officelike the rest of the buildingwas one of understated wealth. The furniture was the best quality, the artwork tasteful and elegant. More awards and small versions of winning campaigns filled the shelves that took up an entire wall. The need to have a campaign/project of mine displayed there burned within me.
 

 

I remember working in the Son Group where the atmosphere of tension was so severe and asive. It was just understandable for a company name as big as the Son Group contradicted with this surrounding. Relaxing and welcoming. No one was in rush, everyone was greeting each other politely whenever they crossed path, every employee knew each other, everyone moved in a normal and comfortable pace. Despite that, The Hirai wasn't lacking in their industry, they had their own standards.
 

 

Their business may not have the highest profit margin in its industry. However, the family were endowed in the highest degree with those qualities of generosity and liberality which people prized so greatly, and the chronicles never weary in their praises. I'd read about Mr Yuuto, the founder of the Hirai. His generosity for the cause of education and scientific research was so unbounded that he once found himself in financial difficulties.

 

 

I was pulled out of the dragging thought when Mrs Eri slid a glass of bowl, containing various candies and cookies. "Sweet?" She smiled. I returned the gesture and chose one, that gummy chubby penguin. It was all in different colour, rainbow exactly. I stared at it and chuckled internally as the thought of Mina crossed my mind, an image of her waddling around. I bit my lips and eat the candy.

 

 

"Hmm, delicious penguin" I commented, gnawing the inside of my cheeks. Giggles built up inside of me and when it finally rolled out, Mrs Eri had a confused expression as she stared at me curiously. The laughter seemed to disappear for a while only to build up and break to the surface once more. I knew it wasn't appropriate and out of place to giggle and think about it, but I couldn't help it. What was it with the dirty thought, Chaeyoung? Obviously, the candy penguin tasted sweet. How about the other penguin? I wasn't aware of the coy smiled that tugged my lips and the fire that burned my ears. Not until Mrs Eri's assistant brought us coffee and left, shutting the door behind her. The sound successfully ended my short comical, humorous thought. "Pardon me, the candy penguin just reminds me of something" I explained.
 

 

Mrs Eri smiled, helping herself to a cookie off the bowl. The silence lingered for a while before she started, "I hope your errand was a successful one,Chaeyoung?"
 

 

I patted my pocket, trying to look smug. "The paperwork is all done. I'll have the license in three days." I snickered a little. "I only have to convince Mina to run off to Vegas with me and make it official."
 

 

She frowned as she took a sip of coffee. "Forgive me for saying this, but your Mina doesn’t seem the Vegas type."
 

 

I drank my coffee, stalling for time. I had no idea what “type” she wasbut I couldn't tell her that. I decided to go with the shyer side of her nature. I cleared my throat and nodded. "You're right, she isn’t. Still neither of us want a big wedding. We'll do it in private one day. Mina is a firm believer in keeping it small—only between us."
 

 

"She has no family, except her sister? Hana mentioned she's hospitalised"
 

 

I nodded. "She has a health problem. Mina visit her a lot"
 

 

She looked past me to the window. "Hana and Momo were quite taken with your girl." I wasn't certain what to say. I didn't really want to talk about Mina, yet it seemed, I had no choice.
 

 

"That happens a lot"
 

 

She grinned, "I can see why. She's delightful" She switched the focus of our conversation, tapping a file folder in front of her. "I shared your idea with our team about the campaign and they agreed with me. They thought it was a of brilliance."
 

 

I tipped my head down, her praise making me feel good. "I'm glad."
 

 

She relaxed back in her chair, studying me. I sensed, I was being judged for the final time. I met her steady gaze, waiting for her to speak."It's taken me years of hard work and dedication to expand this business. The work we do here means something. It's rare, I hire outside my firm, especially you, Chaeyoung. Those who aren't family have been with me for a long time. They become part of my family. Here, we care about our family."
 

 

"It's a unique concept, Mrs Eri. Most employers don't treat their staff the way you do. I admit, I've never experienced it.”
 

 

She slowly nodded her, hesitancy in her expression "I know. I have to say, I was wary when I heard your nameChaeyoung. Your--ah reputation precedes you."
 

 

I had the grace to look ashamed. "I can’t change my past, Mrs Eriexcept I can tell you, I want something different now." I hunched forwardearnest and eager. "I want to work here. Give me a chance. Let me show you what I can bring to the table."
 

 

"When did you change your mind, Chaeyoung? Was it Mina who made you want something different?"
 

 

"Yes" I answered without hesitation. "She was the catalyst." That, at least, was the truth before I added layer of lies in my speech, "I'm hoping for a different and bright future with her, away from the Son Group. I am afraid of what the rivalry and tension between me and Jeongyeon affect her. I don't want to risk our relationship for something so, trivial" the last words felt extremely bitter to utter.
 

 

She narrowed her eyes before leaning forwards, an elbow rested on the table, "Tell me what exactly are you planning? You are alright with abandoning your privilege and the career you had build in the Son Group, to start all over again here. Are you giving up the heiress title?"
 

 

"All I want is a good job, and build a happy family with Mina. The title meant nothing to me if I have to risk losing Mina in the process. She is my first priority and I need a stable job to support us."
 

 

She sighed, "You cannot erase your family name. You cannot drained the blood in you. Not matter what, you are a Son, the granddaughter of Son Min Ki. You can't run from it and there are few board members who still against your decision to resign. Those who have been your mother's loyal people. Although Ara adored both of her children, that isn't the same with the board members. You might unaware that the Chief Financial Officer in the Son Group was your mother's childhood friend. Even though your reputation was quite umm disappointing, he trusted you, trusted the child of the woman who was loved and respected by everyone. He had been defending you in unofficial meetings and still demand your return."
 

 

Mother. It had been a long time since someone talked about her. The CFO was introverted by nature, I knew he was once working as a secretary for my mother but I never thought he had a close relationship with her. He rarely talked to me and mostly for business purposes. I even thought he held a grudge or despised me from the cold treatment he was giving whenever I was around. I didn't know he was watching and supporting me all this time.
 

 

Mrs Eri rubbed her finger over her chin. "I think you're very talented and you could bring in a new perspective we've been missing. It is undeniable that you are great and professional in your work. I still have my doubtsbut Kimi has been lobbying for you ever since he met you."
 

 

That surprised me. "Oh?"
 

 

"He thinks anyone as wonderful as Mina would only love someone with a huge capacity for giving. He thinks you are that person. He sees something in you." She said. I had no response. I wasn't sure anyone had ever “seen” something in me. "Besides, your mother had been a great friend of mine. She was a wonderful leader and a kind-hearted person. I believe, that personality will also descend to her child. Thinking about it now, I see why you are attracted to Mina. She and your mother are alike. That elegance, daring and sweet character"
 

 

I tilted my head, taken aback by the last statement. Mina and Mother. The childhood memory I shared with Mother looped around my mind. The way Mother softly giggle whenever something tickled her. The way she bit her lips when she was nervous during my race competition, afraid I would injure myself. The way she blushed and hid her face behind her palm, embarrassed whenever I for her addiction towards blueberry, that she would turn blue. The way crystal tears tracing her cheeks as she cried, waiting for her husband to return home until midnight, yet he never did.
 

 

I was mad at her for keeping it quite. Even more angry and frustrated that there was nothing I could do. I was furious at her for being so weak to fight for herself, unable to divorce him. Foolishly accepted whatever it was thrown at her. I knew she was in pain but she never says anything, giving me that fake smile every morning and sent me to school. Unaware that I was listening to her sob behind the door every single night. She didn't even oppose when that man brought a child home, his child with another woman. Where our relationship started to waver. She raised Jeongyeon like her own child, even more than her own child.
 

 

My hand clenched into a fist, gripping my trousers under the table. Even though I hated Mother, I couldn't deny the longing in me. I composed myself and nodded, "I supposed yes" They did share similarities. Mina and Mother, both were weak, both were foolish, both were unselfish. They annoyed me.
 

 

Mrs Eri nodded, a warm smile tugged the corner of her lips. She settled back to her seat and crossed her legs, sliding the folder towards me, our talked shifted back into business, "You cannot escape from your responsibility and name. The Chairman had proposed an agenda to choose his heiress and yesterday, the board members have decided to assign both you and Ms Yoo a project in the next few months. Your project will be under me, the Hirai. Succeeds then you'll have us behind your back."
 

 

Excellent. I smiled slyly. It had worked, successfully. I heaved a sigh of relief and contentment as I continued listening to her.
 

 

"The Im Group will assign a different project for Ms Yoo. If both succeed in their own respective project at the given time, the Chairman himself will execute another additional similar project for both of you. He will be the decision-maker without any party interruption, whether the Im nor us. The last project is all on you"
 

 

"However, if you failed, we are glad to accept you into our family. After the rivalry, it is your choice to stay or fully leaves the Son Group. The board directors and shareholders won't stop or against your decision. They all want someone to be the heiress with fair judgement and after the decision is made, no one can oppose it. If you decide to leave the Son Group and work here, I have an offer for you Chaeyoung. I want you to take this with you, look it overand come see me on Friday morning. Make sure you read all the stipulationsand reflect if this is what you really want. Inside, there is also the proposal of your first campaign, succeeds then gain my trust. If I'm convinced enough, I'll assign you with a project for the successor formality. Both you and Ms Yoo will be given an amount of time"
 

 

"But that can be discussed later, first, excel that campaign" she ended, giving me a firm stare.
 

 

The words sank in, and I concluded that I had to finish the campaign and make sure it was approved by the Hirai. That wasn't concerning even in the slightest bit. I was the one who had planned the campaign and anything constructed under me had never failed. It was far more alarming about the project the Hirai will assign to me. I couldn't help but to feel anxious since I wasn't familiarized with them, their project would be unpredictable. I rubbed the edge of my eyebrow, determine and eager to work and receive the project, "I can start today"
 

 

Mrs Eri her chin with a small laugh. "I love your enthusiasm. Except, I want to be here during your first few days and I'm taking, my husband Kimi away. He has been a bit blue, so I'm taking him to his favourite little resort. We'll return Thursday night, and I'll see you on Friday."
 

 

"I'm sorry to hear that."

 

 

"It's fine. He needs a little alone time. It's what we do for the person we love, am I correct?"
 

 

"Of course."
 

 

She swept her arm, indicating the room. "This is my business and I love it, Chaeyoung but Kimi is my life. Be sure you always know the difference. Mina will be around a long time after your career is over. Make sure you pay close attention to her needs."
 

 

Dumbfounded, all I could do was stare at her.
 

 

"It's rare for me, or the Hirai to indulge ourself in the Son Group affair but again, I've talked to the Chairman and a competition between you and Mrs Yoo is unavoidable. It will cause a scene in the annual meeting if one of you are chosen automatically. As of, for now, I want you to look it over, make notes and we'll talk on Friday. Spend a couple of days with your pretty girl and then I hope we start on a newexciting venture together."
 

 

We were about to close our discussion when my eyes fell on the candy penguin. I looked at Mrs Eri and asked, "Can I have more of the candy penguin?"
 

 

She laughed teasingly, "I knew it reminded you of Mina. I noticed her way of walking in the house party last time. It was adorable, I must say"
 

 

I chuckled awkwardly and took a handful of the candy gummy penguin, then stored it inside my blazer pocket.






 

*  *  *  *

I opened the door, frowning when I heard the sound of female voices. Obviously Mina had someone over I didn't know. I listened carefullyand when the woman laughed, I knew, Hirai Momo had come to visit. Interesting. I reached behind me reopened the door, letting it shut with a bang. "Mina! Where are you, sweetheart? Come give your lover a congratulatory kiss!" I shouted with a smirk.
 

 

She appeared from around the corner, looking startled. "Chaeyoung?"
 

 

I opened my arms as I went toward her. "Come here, you have been really distracting me today, penguin"
 

 

She hurried forward and I grabbed her swinging her around. She laughed at the unexpected moveand before she could say anything, I set her on her feet, cupped her face, crashing my mouth to hers. A strange warmth filled my chest---no doubt gratitude that she was playing along---as she tugged on the back of my neck bringing me closer. She whimpered softly as my tongue slid in, tangling with hers and I couldn't help the groan that escaped. Kissing her wasn't a bad perk. The clearing of a throat behind me made me smile against her lips and I acted startled, jerking back. "We have company?" I asked, knowing Momo could hear everything I said. She nodded.
 

 

"I'd say, I'm sorry but I'm not. I was too excited, sweetheart." I ran my finger down her cheek. "I couldn't wait to get home and share with you."
 

 

She stared up at me, looking every bit the loving, hopeful fiancée. "Momo is here" She breathed out.
 

 

I turned and smiled. "Oh, good afternoon, Ms Momo"
 

 

She smirked at me. "Just Momo, Chaeyoung and sorry to break up your moment. You are excited and does that excitement have anything to do with a meeting you had with my sister?"
 

 

I grinned and nodded. "I need to go over some paperwork and talk to my lovebut I think we'll be working together." I encircled my arm around Mina, tucking her close.
 

 

She clapped her hands and beamed at both Mina and me. There was no other word to describe it—her face lit up like the morning sun. "I am happy you made it"
 

 

Mina stretched up, cupping my cheek pulling my face down toward her. "I'm so proud of you" she declared and kissed my mouth gently. Even I bought it. My eyes widened but quickly regain my composure.
 

 

Momo laughed. "I'm going to head out. I think you two need to be alone. Besides, I have a date with Dahyun in an hour." She slipped on her coat. "I wanted to give Mina some decorating magazines. She had mentioned now she had time, she wanted to add a few touches to the place." She glanced around with a grimace. "Really Chaeyoung,you should have made her do it sooner. This place looks like an ancient house. I didn't know you are a Palaeolithic person"
 

 

I looked around. Was it? This place seemed fine to me and Momo had quite a sharp tongue and quite straightforward. I tucked the loose strands of hair behind Mina's ear, "She can do whatever she wants. I keep telling her that." I hoped my reply sounded sincere.
 

 

"Great. Look over the magazines, Mina and we'll go shopping." She giggled. "Maybe the other ones will inspire you too."
 

 

Mina's cheeks infused with the blooming colour of roses which made me curious why magazines would embarrass her. Amid air kisses and laughter, Momo left. Mina and I stood, looking at each other. "Do you want some coffee?" she asked.
 

 

"That would be nice" I followed her to the kitchen, sitting by the counter. Idly, I picked up the pile of magazines, looking at the covers. My hand froze at the bottom two. They were thick, gold and shining words 'The Perfect Wedding' featured prominently on both. I glanced up at Mina, understanding her reaction.
 

 

"Is there anything to tell me?" She asked what our plans were. I told her about the campaign that I had to organize. The project that would be assigned to me by the Hirai if the campaign running successfully and they are convinced with me. I also enlightened her about the rivalry between me and Jeongyeon to choose the heiress with fair judgement. The project that will be given to both of us and the last project would be determined by the Chairman. She frowned when I told her about keeping her as my personal assistant. Thankfully, it didn't bother her and even better, she was glad she had something to do rather than staying alone at the house, doing nothing. She was bored at home, it was visible.
 

 

I had the urge to ask if she had anything she wanted to do in life. If she had a goal to achieve. I knew her dislike and like but nothing about her passion. I'm well aware that she loved to dance. It was still vivid in my memory how her eyes sparkled in excitement and joy when she saw the dance studio. I brushed off the thought.  What would that give me, knowing her passion? I told myself it didn't really matter. I took a sip from the steaming mug she handed to me with an appreciative sigh. She did make excellent coffee."Mrs Eri asked me about our plans, too."
 

 

Her brows furrowed, "What are we going to do? They're going to keep asking. Applying for a fake wedding license was bad enough. I'm not planning a fake wedding."
 

 

I scrubbed my face with my hands. "I know. I hadn't anticipated this. I actually like Mrs Eri. I want to work for her. To make her proud. For some reason, it's important to me."
 

 

She studied me for a moment. "What are you saying?"
 

 

"I thought it would be easier" I acknowledged. "She'd meet you on several occasionand that would be it. I hadn’t anticipated you and her sisters becoming friends—or his husband adoring you." I pushed the magazines, toppling the neat pile. "I hadn't expected them to be part of my life outside the office. And, this arrangement is going to have to go on a little longer than I expected. Six months isn't going to work."
 

 

She traced the edge of one of the glossy covers, her finger retracing the picture of a wedding dress, "How long?"
 

 

"How would you feel about agreeing to a minimum of nine monthswith an option for another two?" I proposed. fell open in shock. "Hear me out" She pressed her lips and nodded. "I read the paperwork quickly in the car. The offer is a good oneexcept it has a threemonth trial period. I think during the campaign Mrs Eri going to be watching. If you leave before then or right after, it will look suspicious. It might take up to nine months or longer. I need to know you’ll stay."
 

 

She didn't say anything and met my eyes. I felt the spark of panic building in my chest. My heart pounding. I couldn't do this without Mina. I wanted to laugh at the irony. I had wanted to get rid of her for so longand now, I needed her more than ever. Karma was indeed a . "We can rework the terms" I offered through tight lips.
 

 

She finally looked up. "Your terms are fine the way they are. I'm not asking for more money. I will stay for a year if you agree with my own terms"
 

 

I frowned, "What terms?"
 

 

She roamed her eyes around the place, "You'll do house chores on weekends since I'm the one who's cooking."
 

 

"Why don't you hire maids?"
 

 

She sighed, "This house is the only place we can be ourselves, it's too risky to have someone else working here"
 

 

I considered her statement and she was annoyingly right. I was lost in my thought, this house was bigger than a football field, I'm sure of it. How am I going to clean the house? It would take me forever. Still, if it was the only price to have Mina for a few more months than it was a very small favour of her. I clicked my tongue, "Fine, I can work with that. By the end of a year, I'll have the title and no-one including the Hirai will be as concerned with my private life."
 

 

My gaze fell upon the wedding cover on the magazine. I rubbed the edge of eyebrows, while the other drumming on the counter, my fingers was restless on the cold granite. "I do have one other thing I want to ask."
 

 

"Which is?"
 

 

"I'd like to cover all my bases. Make sure there's no room for doubt" I studied her for a momentthen spoke the words I never thought I'd say, 
 

 

"Will you marry me, Mina?"




 










 

  - to be continued-
__________________________________

RenOgura