Hang Out

Ransomed Fiancée

Chaeyoung
 

 

She was speechless. Her lips moved yet no words came out. Then she did the strangest thing. She laughed. Huge, loud and delightful peals of laughter. It sliced through the tension that filled this room. She clapped her hand over , smiling gleefully while fat tears rolled down her newly pinked cheeks, still she laughed. Her voice rang in my ear like a jingle bells. I stared at her, she laughed so delicately, like the flow of the river and her smile was so beautiful, even more pretty than her.
 

 

It was a sound I'd never heard from her and while I had to admit, her laughter was highly infectious----I wasn't amused at why she was laughing. I leaned back, crossing my arms. "I don't find this a laughing matter Miss Myoui," I thought hearing me refer to her formally would snap her out of her hysteria because that was what it had to be. The only effect it seemed to have on her though was, she laughed harder. Frustrated, I slammed my hand on the granite. "Mina!" It wasn't the fact that she was laughing that annoyed me but was the fact that she laughed at my proposal.
 

 

She slumped against the counter, wiping her eyes. She glanced over at me and it started all over. Her laughter doubled. I shoved off the chair and strode toward her, not certain what I would do when I got there. Shake her? Slap her? I grabbed her arms and without another thought then crashed my mouth to hers, effectively silencing her lunacy. That strange warmth crept down my spine as I yanked her tight to my body and kissed her. I used every bit of frustration she made me feel to punish her into silence. Except it didn't feel like punishment. It felt like pleasure. Hot pulsating pleasure.
 

 

With a groan, I jerked back, my chest heaving. "Are you finished?" I growled. She gazed up at me, finally silent then nodded. "At the risk of starting you off again Mina, will you marry me?"
 

 

"No." She stated with conviction.
 

 

I shook her slightly. "You said you would if we had to."
 

 

With a sigh, she surprised me again. She cupped my cheeks, her fingers my skin. "Has anyone ever told you how impetuous you are, Dearest?"
 

 

"Spontaneity has served me well." I raised my brow.
 

 

"I'd call it hot-headed, but you call it whatever floats your boat." A smirk tugged on her lips, "Chaeyoung,think about it. Think it through. If your instinct is right and Mrs Eri is suspicious and you marry me right now, it will make her more so not less."

 

 

I stared into her brown earthy eyes, her words sinking into my brain. I stepped back, her hands dropping from my face as I realized she was right. "Well, "
 

 

She smiled and propped her chin in the palm of her hand, "I'm right, you know I am."
 

 

I hated to admit it, but she definitely had a point. "Yes, you are."
 

 

"I'm sorry, what did you say?" she teased.
 

 

"Don't push your luck." I narrowed my eyes, giving her a warning glare. She grinned and it occurred to me, she was no longer frightened of me. I wasn't sure if it was a good thing or not. I sighed, massaging my temple "We are going to readdress this issue Mina"
 

 

She pushed off the counter, skirting around me. "Then we'll talk about it later." She lifted the magazines, tucking them under her arm. "I have some things to read. I'm going to get some ideas for my room."
 

 

She started to walk away and I held out my hand to stop her leaving. I was reminded by something that had been bothering me lately, "While you're at it, call the building super. Something is wrong with my bedroom door."
 

 

She hesitated, eyes wide. "Eh?"
 

 

I reached over for an apple from the fruit bowl, walked to the sink and washed it. "I always shut it tight, but it's wide open when I get up in the morning. I don't know what's wrong with it. Get it fixed." I swung around and frowned when she turned all red. It wasn't just a soft usual pink-cheeked flush either. It was beet red. She was clearly blushing and it made her blush harder until she was scarlet and roasting hot. The colour on her face was almost purple.
 

 

"Your door isn't broken" She burst out, speaking fast. She turned her head to the side, averting my gaze. I opened my mouth to question it when a ring interrupted me. It was my phone. I dug it from my pocket; Dahyun was calling. I glanced to Mina and gestured that we'd talked it through later and I had to take a call. She nodded and sprinted away, ascending the stairs in a rush that I thought she was going to trip. What was her problem?
 

 

I went to the living room and answered the call, Hyun wanted to dine together. I knew she was going to ask about my relationship with Mina. I ruffled my hair in frustration and went to the address she texted me. Hyun was smart. She was quick-witted and that was unsettling since she was mostly correct. I had really troublesome friends, both Tzuyu and her was beside me since middle school and they knew who I am, the outside, inside and the root. They stuck around me until we separated; Dahyun went to medical school, Tzuyu to law school. I started to work under the company while at the same time taking management in business degree.
 

 

"So, what's the tea?" Hyun sliced her steak and took a bite.
 

 

I fixed my posture on the seat and stared at her, hoping my eyes were sincere, "We love each other"
 

 

Her eyes bore into mine, looking deeply as if she was reading through my mind. I held her gaze, not wanting to back off. She smiled as if she had just found an answer. She shrugged, "You? Loving someone. Does the sun rise in the west this morning?" Damn. She found out. This woman was hard to be convinced but I was determined to pull this off. I was about to rebuke and deny her, but she was a step ahead, "You see, Chaeyoung. I know you more than you probably know yourself. I'm your best friend, and I studied psychology as my minor, excellent in it." She boasted then smiled, that innocent yet cunning tugged on her lips, "Do you really think I'm unable to see behind that white lies."
 

 

She resumed eating, seemingly I bothered, "Whatever you are trying to do, I won't against it. I mean, I don't want to meddle in your affair but never hurt others. You are better than that. And from what I observed, she's a good person, unlike someone" She hinted with sarcasm. I clicked my tongue, Tzuyu had been rubbing off on her. She swirled the glass next to her, sniffed the dark red wine before drinking it. "But this doesn't have to end in a bad way. It can lead to something, probably. I don't trust you but I can trust her. I'll wait for the day you actually come here, cry your eyes out and tell me you truly love her and that you regret everything"

 

 

I clenched my jaw, not understanding any of her words but the last sentence triggered me. Annoyance blurred my sight and I glared at her with intensity, hard and sharp. "I never regret my decision, Kim Dahyun"
 

 

She matched my stare and leaned forward, "Then, she'll be your first and biggest regret, Son Chaeyoung"
 

 

I grunted, "Stop being philosophical with me" She narrowed her eyes. We were having a tight staring contest when her face slowly relaxed in joy and she broke into a short chuckle. She wasn't done yet though, I could tell from the way she rolled her eyes to the ceiling and half bit her lip. From deep inside her chest came a great shaking motion and her face muscles grew tight.
 

 

I folded my arms, eyebrows arched, waiting. In moments her laugh was more like a burst water main arching into the brilliant summer sky soaking everyone around him with unrestrained gales that debilitated her to a thigh-slapping and pick a faced picture of glee. I wanted to stay straight-faced, scoffed and storm off. She  was after all laughing "at me", not "with me." But before I could stop myself, my poker straight mouth twitched upwards. This was the difference between Tzuyu and Dahyun. The former could be uptight sometime. She was a steady, competent, serious-minded person, and yet on a rare occasion, she would make a random joke. Whilst, the latter rarely took things too seriously, she would mostly play around yet fully aware of what was happening in her surrounding.
 

 

I shook my head and sigh defeatedly, "You can stop it already. I'm not here for your interrogation and counselling" 
 

 

She huffed, stealing some of the salad from my plate and shamelessly munching, "Anyway, I like her"
 

 

It wasn't something pleasant to hear at the least. I hissed, "You have a girlfriend. Don't make me a turned into a tattletale and report this to Momo. I don't think she'll be happy"
 

 

Her gaze quickly averted to me, an amused expression on her face. She hummed and nodded, "Jealousy. I get it"
 

 

"What are you talking about?" I rebuked, frowning. She broke into laughter, chuckling at me as if she was watching an on-going comedy and I was the spotlight. I clicked my tongue. This woman really experienced in irritating me. At this point, I thought the one who had broken the agreement was me rather than Mina. I'd told Nayeon and now, Hyun was also well aware of it. I knew it was risky and things were unpredictable, it wasn't my fault when Dahyun could outsmart me. It was her speciality as if she was a living lie detector but one good quality about her was, Hyun at the same time, an old diary. She wouldn't involve herself in other's affair and any secret remained only within her knowledge.
 

 

Whilst, Nay. She was someone to me. I couldn't lie to her. My action might be considered self-centred, reckless, and unfair, especially towards Mina as it might lead to our agreement to be exposed. However, Nayeon wasn't just a friend. She was more than a friend. She meant more and I didn't want to hurt her, deeper than she already was.
 

 

I pitied her, for fell in love with someone like me.








 

*   *   *   *

"The greatest player #7 Kim Dahyun, starting pitcher entering the empty court in cold weather, at midnight" She announced in a sarcastic manner while stretching her arms. I found it ridiculous when she was the one who suggested this. Trespassing our old high school ground and played baseball like how we used to. We could go to another field but she was persistent, stating it would bring memories and more nostalgic to visit here.
 

 

"Bring it on" A voice challenged. I turned around towards the catcher who was smirking. I was wrong, trespassing in the middle of the night wasn't that ridiculous. The fact that Tzuyu---just with a phone call from Dahyun---agreed with the suggestion and came along was much more surprising. She seemed frustrated. There must be something that happened to her.
 

 

Tzuyu settled in a receiving stance, a little bit further from the home plate. We were casually playing, there was no need for protective gear. She was only wearing a mitt, same as Hyun. I took off my blazer, folded it and laid it down on one of the bleachers. Folding my sleeves, I took the metal bat and situated toward the third-base side of the plate. "Right, bring it on" I readied my position.
 

 

Hyun smiled and stepped onto the mound. "Flaming blue ball! Power 5" She yelled, lifted her arm then threw the ball
 

 

It was chest high. Eyes fixed to the ball. It looked good to me. Seemed like Hyun was getting older. I put my left foot forward, brought back the bat and swung. The 'crack!' sounded throughout the field as my bat met the ball. Like a white bullet, the bullet shot over the court. "Counter-attack!" I smirked, dropping the bat and scampered for first. The ball hit the grass halfway between the left field and the centre field. Hyun ran as fast as she could after it. The ball bounced and beyond her. One run scored. Two. Three. I ran in from the third. Hyun was able to pick up the ball and heave it in towards Tzuyu. But it was too late. I crossed the plate. Home run!
 

 

"What happens to you, corpse? That was weak" Tzuyu mocked. Long fingernails, a pale complexion, a bloody mouth. These were all physical characteristics of vampires. And corpses. Tzuyu thought the vampire nickname sounded too cool for someone like Hyun, and when Hyun once played a corpse in one of our theatre project performance, she started to call her corpse.
 

 

I chuckled, joining the teasing "Too weak"
 

 

She cleared then. cracked her knuckles, "Well, then, power 10!" She shouted, walking back to the mound and practise her swinging her arms.
 

 

As if that would change anything. The game continued and we stopped when the clock pointed at quarter to two a.m. We sat on the last bleachers with them both in each of my sides. Hyun was wiping her sweat while I took the water bottle we brought and drank it. I glanced at Tzuyu who was spacing out and nudged her side,   "You looked pissed" I commented, offering her mineral water.
 

 

She sighed, as she accepted the bottle. "She has someone already. The waitress girl, Eunha. I wasted my time"
 

 

I hummed. She was always so unlucky with relationship. Once her ex cheated on her, once her ex played her, once she was dumped. And most of the people who might not know her misjudged her as a playgirl since she often changed partner. Well, another reason was also that, she was friend with one. She was hopelessly romantic, had a big heart, lots of love but no one to give it to. It was pathetic if I was, to be honest. I patted her back, "Better lucky next time" She had the sorrowful expression carved on her face. This was pretty unusual. She wouldn't be that depressed over a woman she hadn't dated yet and found out the woman already had someone else. She saved her heart. What was bothering her?
 

 

"Gucci passed away" She spoke.
 

 

I halted, not believing my ears. I snapped my head towards her and she wasn't joking. I'm bad with this kind of thing, especially towards a dog. But I knew, he had accompanied and being with her for years. The silence thickened, "Gucci was a good dog" I tried to console but was absolutely terrible at this.
 

 

She stared at me, "He is"
 

 

Noticing the tenses she used, I pressed my mouth shut. She needed time. Hyun was quietly listening and we bathed in the serenade of the black. The stars were a twinkling brightly, they looked like a choir. Lights that sang in infinite patterns. We were staring upwards. Sometimes eyes needed music, and the darker the night, the sweeter the song. It was peaceful and melancholic, not until we heard a whistle and a guard shouting at us. "Hey! Who are you?! What are you brat doing here!"
 

 

I widened my eyes and turned around to pick my blazer. When I was about to call Hyun and Tzuyu to run, they were already escaping, leaving me alone. I cursed them while their echoed laughter rang through my damn ears. Those traitors. I quickly followed behind. The guard was chasing after us and luckily, we were able to flee. We strolled around the streets before we separated. Hyun had a surgery early in the morning while Tzuyu had a client meeting at noon. They needed a good sleep and though it was already too late for that.
 

 

I drove home and parked the car in the front yard. Hoon wasn't around. He might be sleeping. On my peripheral view, I caught a slight movement of the curtain on the second floor. I looked up towards Mina's room. She hadn't sleep yet? Or was it the wind? The light was off though, she must be in dreamland. I concluded. Entering the villa, I flinched when I heard a growl. I stepped back and saw Beastie sleeping in a curl behind the front door. Why was he sleeping here? I tiptoed and leaned myself to the wall. Walking sideways along the edge to avoid the dog. I didn't want to disturb his sleep. I'd heard they were pretty aggressive when woken up. I sigh in relief when I'd managed to walk past him.
 

 

I was about to climb the stairs when Tzuyu's dog came to mind. With a sigh, I returned to Beastie, and took the shoehorn lifter. Hesitantly, I flicked his legs while keeping a safe distance, "Hey, dude. Why are you here? You'll catch a cold." I whispered. He didn't budge. I flicked harder which earned a loud snarl. My first instinct was immediately to hide behind the shoe rack and I did. He slowly went back to sleep. Why did I even trouble myself? I scoffed, fixing my dress shirt and shrugged. Whatever, if he got sick, it was his fault.
 

 

I dunked myself in warm water. Closing my eyes as my muscle relaxed. A sudden pain shot through my head and I groaned, bending over. Wrapping my palm around my temple, I massaged it slowly. What a headache. The nauseous came like a truck and I ran to the sink, relieving myself. It seemed that I was the sick one here. My hand gripped the edge of the sink for support while I splashed my face to shove the pain and refreshed myself. I had no time to deal with that.
 

 

Done with bathing, I wore my bathrobe and tossed my wet clothes at a small grey basket at the corner of the bathroom. After slipping on an undershirt and underwear, I ruffled my hair with the towel and tossed it in the basket as well. I looked through my closet, there was no pyjama. I never had one since I always fell asleep with my work attire. I picked casual clothes and changed to it. It was almost four a.m. I yawned and sat in my bed, checking the emails on my phone. The charge was below five per cent and I immediately set it on the charging dock. I went to the door and closed it. My step paused when I recalled that it constantly left ajar early in the morning although I had secure it tight. I inspected the door's handle and it worked just fine.
 

 

Frowning, the image of Mina's flushed cheeks crossed my mind. She was blushing when I mentioned this issue and unfortunately, I was unable to ask her. Hyun interrupted me. With a random deduction, I stepped back a few meters away from the door and waited. Minutes passed. Nothing. I sighed, my guess was wrong. There was no reason for her to do it. Besides, she was asleep already. I was about to walk off when the door's handle slowly pushed down. I arched my brow and instinctively grabbed a baseball bat next to me. The door opened. I lifted the bat in a defensive mood. It wasn't Mina. Her bedroom light was off for some time. Unless it was someone else. However, I was proven wrong once again.
 

 

Mina's curious and hesitant eyes met mine as she peeked her head inside. She was surprised. It was clearly written on her face and come along with that was an embarrassment. I scoffed and put down the bat, I almost hit her. She immediately scurried away but I was faster. I caught her by the wrist and crossed my arms. She stood with a pout and a guilty expression, as if she was being scolded from a teacher because of her absence. I bit the smile that threatened to form on my lips. She was cute. I thought.
 

 

"Hm? You said I am..what?" She tilted her head.
 

 

Did she hear me? I clicked my tongue, acting pissed. "I said, I'm selling you to the aquarium and joined your other penguin colony. Go and live in your exhibit where you can freely waddling around" What the heck am I talking. I shrugged coolly and crossed my arms, "Why would you do that? Waddling at night and opens my door?"
 

 

She was back, hanging her head low, "It's---um--quiet here."

 

 

"I don't understand."
 

 

She edged closer, her fingers playing with the hem of her pyjama dress. "I couldn't sleep the first night. Where I lived it was always noisy from sirens, people, cars or something. In here, it was so silent that it was almost frightening. I was going past your door and I heard you—ah, you were snoring."
 

 

I narrowed my eyes. "I have asthma. I don't snore—it's a wheeze."
 

 

"If, I push open your door and leave mine ajar, I can hear you---ah---wheeze, and I know I'm not alone. It's, well--- it's comforting." She stuttered. I had no idea how to respond to her bashful confession. I was comforting? She lifted her gaze and shook her head, "I won't do it again"
 

 

I waved my hand. "Whatever. I don't  mind." She turned and left. I stared after her retreating figure. I remembered the kiss during dinner. She hadn't told me not to do it although she hadn't addressed the fact I had either. Instead, she confessed to being nervous and unknowingly I had helped her sleep. She also had pointed out the flaw in my idea of marrying her right away. We had each done the other a favour. We were even. Still, later that night or you might say dawn, after shutting off my light, I opened my door saving her a trip. God knew how grumpy she'd be if she didn't have any sleep.










 

  - to be continued-
_______________________________

RenOgura/Jun Kudo

RIP Gucci.