New Job

Ransomed Fiancée

Mina

 

 

The night had fallen. I stood across the street, gaping at the large mansion that set beyond the sidewalk, towering over me. It loomed proudly behind a redwood gate, flanked by rows of trees decorated with light strings. I'm too mesmerized until I almost forgot my purpose. I crossed the road then pushed the doorbell. It was, moments later, opened by a young man wearing a blackwork suit "Ah, I assumed you must be Miss Myoui. Miss Son is waiting for your arrival. Follow me"
 

 

As soon as I entered, I must had been transferred into a different universe and the gate I just went through was Doraemon's magic door. I stole glances around the place, I noticed a marble fountain sitting towards the right side of the lawn. A golden ballerina was perched on top in 5th position---I knew this because I'm a ballerina myself---while clear water flowing down as her skirt. Around the fountains, colorful water features spouting to the rhythm of music, which I had guessed was Butterfly Lovers' violin. There were also bushes trimmed into all sorts of animals with their respective colors flashed by fairy lights. It was a squirrel, dog, bunny, ostrich, raccoon, owl, tiger and Oh My God! a bunch of baby penguins. Overall, it was a stunning visual and musical treat as everything came alive with dramatic lighting effects. It felt and looked so magical as if I was inside Pandora---The World of Avatar.
 

 

I never expected Miss Son will live in this kind of atmosphere. This place was a complete contradict to the owner. It was warm, inviting, and approachable instead of cold, remote and unreachable. Talking about the owner, I began to shiver a little as I started to wonder why I was here.
 

 

The building was about a fifteen-minute walk from the hospital, and I was on time. It hadn't been a good visit with Sana today.  She had extreme drowsiness and headache, though she tried to speak it will only come out as slurred. I'd told her to take some rest and sleep which resulting me to leave early, after giving her a goodbye kiss. I was devastated. She had been good all week, but then the blood clot happened. I had hoped today that I’d be able to talk with her as we used to, but it hadn't happened. Instead, it just added to my stressful, bizarre day. I left home feeling despondent and unsure as to why Miss Son wanted to see me.
 


 

Miss Son.
 

 

She was acting uncharacteristically strange. As if, it wasn't enough with confusing me by asking to come to her home this evening, her behavior for the rest of the afternoon was completely odd. When she returned from her meeting, she stopped by my desk and asked for mocha and tortilla.
 

 

In case you didn't catch that. She literally, asked me! Gone was the demand, intimidate glare, sneering, and slamming door. Rather, she politely requested lunch and even uttered thank you---for the second time. She stayed in her office for the rest of the day until she left, when she stopped again and told me not to forget our appointment, I nodded to her. She thanks me--- third time!---and walked away.
 

 

I'd had thought that she was high or something, that was the only explanation. She just left me beyond puzzled. It felt like my brain cells had been randomized. I had no idea what I was doing at her home, much less why.
 

 

I took control over myself and tried to breathe evenly though my heart felt it gonna burst anytime. I'm already close to the answer better just to surrender and embrace it. I straightened my shoulders and focused on following the young man down the little stone path that led to a black door.
 

 

Miss Son opened the door, and I tried not to stare. I had never seen her looked this casual. Her hair was tied in a messy bun with some strands fell on both sides of her temple, and I just realized she had undercut. Honestly, it was charming. I was familiar with seeing her with business suit. At her place, she wore an oversized cream t-shirt tucked in a black knee-length cargo pants and her feet were bare. Funny, I was tempted to giggle at her small toes but succeed holding myself. She gestured me to come in and stepped back allowing me to pass. She took my coat and we stood staring at each other. I had never seen her so nervous and unstable. She avoided my gaze and rubbed the back of her neck.
 

 

"Umm, dinner?" She asked.
 

 

"It wouldn't be needed" I lied. I was starving but I didn't want to stay long in this place, besides I think the food must be poisonous.
 

 

"I doubt that. You have to eat more, you're too skinny. I've seen more meat in a chicken than you" She said tonelessly. Before I could reply, she pulled the hem of my shirt and dragged me to the long wooden table next to the kitchen. "Sit" She ordered, pointing to the chair.

 

 

Knowing better than to argue with her, I did. As she moved into the kitchen, I looked around at the enormous open space. The house was indeed Elizabethan, with books neatly arranged in every corner of the place, a single black piano sat in the left side of the living room, fireplace that could fit a car, large old fashioned chandelier hung from the dark wooden beam that ran down the centre of the ceiling, and oil paintings and abstract art hung organized on the wall. I glimpsed a long hallway and a set of elegant stairs that I assumed led to the bedrooms. I felt like I entered a royal palace and shouldn't be here. I turned back to the kitchen---it was similar in style and impression, wooden interior mostly conquered with a gentle orange glow from the lamp on the ceiling.
 

 

Certainly, this place doesn't resemble the owner. At all. Miss Son came to me, and for a second our eyes met---just stay still until she cleared . She set a plate in front of me and with a smirk, opened the lid on a pizza box. I felt a smile twitched itself on my lips.
 

 

"This is dinner?" I asked, contemplating. She nodded. It seemed normal to him, I hadn't had a slice of pizza for ages. I guessed wealthiness and money did contribute at least three-quarters of happiness in life. My mouth watered looking at it.
 

 

She hummed "I mostly dine out, but I felt like pizza tonight" She lifted out a slice and slid it on my plate. "Eat"
 

 

Not having enough power to stop my hungriness, I ate in silence. While she ate steadily, devouring the rest of the pizza, aside from a second slice she put on my plate. I didn't object to it or the glass of wine he pushed in my direction. Instead, I sipped it, enjoying the smoothness of the deep red merlot. It had been a long time since I had tasted such a good wine. After we finished our awkward and deafening meal, she stood, tossing out the pizza box, then returned. She picked up her wine, swirling it while pacing a few minutes.
 

 

Finally, she stopped in front of me and sipped until the last drop. She leaned to me, hands spread on the table side as we were across each other. Her eyes caught mine "Miss Myoui, what I'll talk to you is quite personal." She uttered in a low voice almost whispering.
 

 

I was fidgeting with my finger. This was too nerve-wracking, I wanted to just escape. Nonetheless, I nodded, uncertain of what to say.
 

 

She lifted her chin, looking down upon me as she was standing while I was sitting. Her eyes narrowed while she studied me, she had that sceptical look drew on her face; I had no doubt she found me lacking in every way. Still, she continued.
 

 

"I wanted to hire you Miss Myoui, on a new high paid job. Are you willing to take it?"
 

 

"Eh?" What was that supposed to be meant? I already worked under her.
 

 

She stared at me before walking closer, pulled a chair next to me, sat on it and muttered. "Be my fiancée"
 

 

I was glued to the ground, zero thinking, zero moving but only stared at her.






 

*  *  *  *
Chaeyoung

 

 

Miss Myoui stared at me, frozen. Slowly, she scrambled to her feet and stood up, facing me, her gaze roamed around the place before it settled to me. "Do you think this is funny?" She hissed, her voice shaking. "I don't know what silliness are you trying to pull, but it's not entertaining. At all Miss Son"
 

 

She marched past me, her forearms brushes against mine. Hurriedly, she grabbed her coat and purse on the couch, turning around, she eyed me with a flare of anger "Are you toying with me? You think I'm one of your women you could sleep with every day?" I watched as her dark lashes brimmed heavy with tears then soon a lone tear traced down her cheeks but she quickly wiped it off. There was a fire of shame, wrath disappointment all jumbled together. "Isn't it enough treating me like during the day, now you want to have fun at night? I must look so easy to you" She snapped, fist stayed firmly by her side.
 

 

She stormed toward the door while I'm still processing her sudden rage. I blinked in shock from her outburst and quick enough to dash forward and blocked her way. I shut the door behind, then leaned over her.
 

 

"Miss Myoui.......Mina......please. It’s no joke, I'm not trying to pull anything. Listen to me first." She was so near I could feel her rapid breathing, her body trembling. I had thought about her reactions but didn't expect to meet anger. "Please," I coaxed again. "Hear me out"
 

 

Her shoulders slumped and she nodded, allowing me to draw her away from the door and over to the sofa. I sat down opposite her and indicated she should, as well. She did warily and it took all I had not to snap at her and tell her not to look like a frightened penguin. What did she think I was going to do to her?
 

 

I inhaled, calming myself as I let the silence lingered some more. Her words cut through my brain"Isn't it enough treating me like during the day, now you want to have fun at night? I must look so easy to you."
 

 

I shifted a little in my chair—I supposed I deserved her wariness.
 

 

I hummed then cleared my throat. "I bet you knew about the rivalry between Miss Jeongyeon and I. The Chairman wanted me to get myself a fiancée mainly because I have to convince the investors and all the old man that have high positions, that I'm not the same person I was before"
 

 

Her brow furrowed, "Which is?"

 

 

"Arrogant, Ignorant, Rude, Unkind" I took in a long breath. "A tyrant at work and a playgirl after hours."
 

 

She stared at me, her voice was soft and quiet but firm "Pardon me, but you're exactly that"
 

 

"I know" I stood and walked in front of the fireplace, left and right. I was thinking real hard. I hope this worth it. "But, I'm also good at my job and I won't, not in a million years will ever lose that position. I need it, no I wanted the title and you have to help me"

 

"I still don’t understand why these issues me."
 

 

"The Chairman will kick me out in two weeks if I haven't found someone to prove myself worthy of the position. I'll make it official that I already fall in love with someone and that someone has changed me into a completely different person"
 

 

"With who?"
 

 

I sank against the couch, crossing my arms, I breathed out "You."
 

 

Her eyes widened as left gaping. She looked at me with that disbelief and sceptical face. Finally, she spoke. "Why---why would you do that?"
 

 

"Well the kind of women I usually hang with doesn't really suit it. I had assumed you were exactly the kind of person that would be convincing enough since you were my PA, the closest one with me. You're practical, demure......empty. I have to admit there's something in you that attracts people, something warm and homey, though I don't see it."
 

 

In those confusing she carried, came across pain on her face and I was not sorry, I said what I think, I didn't lie to her. Her gaze lowered before she lightly shook her head "But, you dislike me" She gulped and narrowed her eyes "And, I'm not fond of you, either."
 

 

I chuckled at her words. "That can be work, around time." I sat across her and leaned in closer, elbows resting on my knees "You don't have to think a lot Miss Myoui. I will pay you for this. Ten thousand a month and if this lasts longer than five months, I'll double it. I could also pay you in advance of thirty thousand. I apologize, but I unintentionally heard your conversation over the phone the other day and I guessed you need some help" I smirked. "If we have to get married, I'll give you a bonus. When we can divorce, I'll handle the settlement and all the details. Then you'll be freed"
 

 

"Married?"
 

 

"I'm not sure until when we're gonna pull this facade, how long for it to convince everyone, when will the Chairman named his heir and when will he take his last breath. It wouldn't be too long. If I were named as the heir and the future CEO, the vice president position will be yours. I promise. "
 

 

With hands clasped tightly in front of her stomach, she constantly fiddled the hem of her ragged shirt. Her face was dipped in white as if she was an untouched canvas that needed to be painted. Hesitation and shock imprinted all over her uninteresting feature. She stayed silent at her place, eyes planted on the floor. She was considering my offer. I kept it going.
 

 

"Look, most people. Wait scratch that, everyone that I worked with is not to my liking either. Sometimes I want to punch them on the face but I have to keep things professional. It's a part of the job. So, I endure it, I smile and joke around. I'll treat our relationship the same. It just works. If you think it that way, it makes things lots easier." I paused and slowly lifted her chin to face me "Think about the money and what it could do for you. A few months of your time, for what I'll pay you, is more than you'll make all year"
 

 

"And all I have to do is....." She trailed off
 

 

"......is act as though you love me."I finished her sentence.
 

 

"We'll both get this on writing. Rest assured, there will be a confidentiality agreement. I'll pay you twenty grand upfront. You'll get the rest at the end of each month. Plus, I'll open a new account for you to use for expenses. Clothes, jewellery that sort of thing. I require you to dress your role and acting it" I added.


 

She closed her eyes momentarily then opened it, studying me for a while before she sighed, "I need some time to think this through"
 

 

"Right. But don't take too much time. The Golden Rose event will be next week celebrating the partnership between the Son Group and the Im Group. If you agree, you need new branded clothes and we need to spend some time together getting to know each other. I'll introduce you to the event, so I cannot wait too long"
 

 

"If I don't agree?" She tilted her head to the side.
 

 

I messed up, obviously. I swallowed back my words and coolly shrugged. "I'll find someone else" I uttered. I won't show her how desperate I was or she'd take it for granted.
 

 

She stood up. "I have to go"
 

 

I followed and slightly looked up, realizing she was a bit taller than me. We had never been in this approximate closeness that I felt her breath past mine so that could explain. Damn, it hurt my pride. I tiptoed a little while she wore her coat. "I need your answer, as soon as possible," I said, trying not to look bothered.
 

 

"I know." She mumbled.
 

 

I guide her to the front door then roamed my eyes "Where do you park?" I asked.
 

 

She blinked at me. "I don't have car Miss Son, I walked here"
 

 

"It's too late for you to be out on your own. I'll get Hoon to call a cab for you"
 

 

"I can't afford a cab."
 

 

"I'll pay for it" I breathed rather annoyed. "I don’t want you to walk alone at night. Can you drive?"
 

 

She nodded "Yes, I just can't afford to buy a car"
 

 

"I'll get you one. If you agree to my proposal. I'll buy you a car. You can keep it."
 

 

She narrowed her eyes on me while I arched my brows. She sighed and excused herself. "Good night Miss Son"
 

 

"Chaeyoung"
 

 

"Eh?"
 

 

"I'll start to call you....Mina and you can't call me Miss Son anymore. It's Chaeyoung, or simplify it Chaeng. Get used to it"

 

 

With a nod, she left. I called down to Hoon, telling him to get her a cab and put it on my account. I got myself a glass of whiskey in the kitchen, walked myself back to the living room, put it down on the table and slumped against the single armchair. It was indeed frustrating. She was so hard to convince. Earlier, when I spoke, I made an essential decision to make Miss Myoui my fiancée rather than merely my girlfriend. It was more believable and effective since we were tied. It showed the seriousness in our relationships and I was more than ready to settle down for some real commitment. It played with peoples' thinking, a girlfriend was replaceable but fiancée meant permanency.
 

 

I clicked my tongue while tapping my hand against my tight following the random rhythm in my head. I eyed the amber liquid and the golden glow of the glass-like cubes. I swirled the glass with my finger wrapped around it, shutting my eyes as I listen intently to the ice jingle in the silence. I raised the glass to sip, feeling the keen burn on my closed and throat, letting the fluid sat in my mouth a while before swallowing. I closed my eyes, dwelling only on theflavourr. That was good. Somehow, this situation brought joy, it was quite fun. No wonder Jeong likes to play mind games, simple act, great impact.
 

 

I was supposed to be incredibly anxious as Miss Myoui hadn't given her answer and how pathetic I am to need help from the women I hated and how my future was under her grasp, but somehow I'm not that anxious. The clock's arms were moving, it kept moving until I realized I had finished a bottle of whiskey and vodka yet I was still sober. What was it I'm waiting for actually? It became apparent. I won't receive what I wanted to hear. She probably went to bed already. Maybe that was why? Because I was expecting her to decline my offer hence I'm quite prepared. Now my life is ruined. everything.
 

 

I sighed and leaned on the couch, head fell back, my mind was in haze. Ahh, migraine struck again. I was blinded by everything. I clapped my hand, the open space automatically turned dimed light. Now I'm a prisoner in my helpless cage of pain. Damn! It throbbed so bad. Why my skull didn't just crack open and let me free. I growled and pinched the bridge of my nose, hoping it will reduce the pain for a while before I fetched my medicine. My phone beeping, breaking the stillness while startling the living out of me, and I realized I had in a nap. I glanced at it, lower the brightness before I picked it up. I was left staring at two words displayed on the screen, I smirked.


 

I accept.






 




 

- to be continued-
___________________________________

✒Jun Kudo