Contract Violation

Ransomed Fiancée

Mina

 

 

"Miss, I'm sorry but we are closing in a few minutes"
 

 

I looked up to the waitress, she smiled apologetically and walked away. I glanced throughout the restaurant, I was the only customer left. I looked at my watch. It was past midnight. The time had just flown by. All I ever did was watching every customer entering and leaving the place while occasionally looked at the entrance for Chaeyoung.
 

 

I sipped the dregs of the restaurant's last coffee pot of the day and stood up. I remembered the young waitress's generous services. To honor her, I left an uncommonly large tip. She went home late from work because of one stubborn customer, I held her. I'd go through that. She noticed me and bowed, I reciprocated the gesture. My stomach churned. I hadn't had dinner since I was waiting for Chaeyoung but that woman didn't even show up. What a jerk.
 

 

The wind was picking up fast. I quickly pulled up the hood of my red wool coat. I stepped onto the street, slipping and sliding in the stilettos boots. I tried to flag down a taxi but every cab had passengers in the back or its yellow roof light switched off. I waited and tried again but all cab raced by me. The cold began to seep into my limbs. I shuddered from it and pulled my coat more tightly around me. I sighed and walked aimlessly along the sidewalk. I called her again, but it couldn't reach her.
 

 

All of a sudden, I heard soft orchestral music. I whirled around to see a cab had pulled up, the sounds came from the radio, "Need a ride?" The driver asked as he cast a concerned glance out the window at the weather and asked where I was going. I gave him the address and thankfully he was willing to take me home. He went out and opened the door for me. I bowed and got into the back seat. After he climbed back into the driver's seat, he closed the door with a little less force and glanced at me through the rearview mirror. He seemed to recognize me. I saw his soft smile.
 

 

"Coming home from a date?" He asked with a hint of tease. I chuckled and hesitantly nodded. A date with myself I guess. I slumped on the back seat, my head twisted to look out of the small window. A light rain was falling as we traveled north on the highway. The windows fogged up and I rubbed a porthole through the condensation and drew a smiley sun. 

 

 

I smiled, it somehow reminded me of that microscopic woman. I watched the droplet of water ran over the glass. Thank God, I didn't catch up in the rain. Listening to the familiar orchestra music, I peered at the radio on the front seat and read the title; Schindler's List. Finally, the taxi stopped in front of the gate. The driver grinned when he looked out at the house as if he was expecting it. He turned to me, "It was nice to meet you, Miss Myoui" He said and stretched out his arm for a handshake.
 

 

I was baffled for a moment. How did he know? I took his hand, smiled and wanted to pay him but he refused saying it was his treat. I felt bad since earlier he was telling me how he drove twenty - two hours a day so that he could support his deaf daughter at music school. He was so persistent even when I insist. I bowed as a token of gratitude and hoped I could meet him again to pay back his kindness.
 

 

I flopped on the big sofa in the darkened living room. I could hear the night rain drumming emphatically on the roof and slashed against the windows. My stomach growled as loud as Ray. He was snuggling beside me. I smiled and carefully laid him down on the couch then went to the refrigerator. Taking out a loaf of bread, a tub of natural peanut butter, and a jar of jelly, I made a quick sandwich and heated water for tea. After closing the refrigerator door, I walked over to the wall glass and maneuvered it open. I took a bite of the sandwich.
 

 

The rising wind and pouring rain had begun to make an incessant noise among the trees, and the thunder had become more loud and continuous. I tried to dial Chaeyoung's number again yet I was met with the same end. I was reluctant to call and ask Miss Sakura, Chaeyoung's secretary since she might get suspicious and bombarded me with more questions. However, I had no choice.
 

 

Miss Sakura mentioned Chaeyoung had left the office. Thankfully she didn't further the conversation. I thanked her and ended the call. Where could she be? She always went home before eleven. Even if she had to attend any unplanned event or had to go somewhere, she would inform me. It was a rule to inform each other if we had a personal schedule so we could match our story, but today there was no message from her.
 

 

I spun around when I heard a whining noise. Ray jumped to the floor, approached me and rubbed along my leg. I crouched down and his head. "Your Oompa Loompa friend goes missing. What should we do?" I mumbled. Ray huffed in maybe annoyance according to that expression he made. He crawled up my pants onto my lap and fell asleep again, perfectly secure. It seemed that he hadn't forgiven Chaeyoung for trying to take him to the animal shelter. I chuckled, recalling how Chaeyoung tranquilized herself and slept for two days. It was the most peaceful day I ever had.
 

 

I carried Ray to my room and placed him down inside his kennel. I took a shower, wore my pajama then sat down before the dressing mirror. Picking up a comb, I ran it through my hair, and was about to do so again when I was surprised to hear violent knocking on the front door. It couldn't be Chaeyoung. Why would she knock? Was it a thief then? I was hesitant to go downstairs. But the knocking persisted. It couldn't be a thief as thief never comes in after knocking. I went to the balcony and secretly peered down, I couldn't see the person but there was an unfamiliar car parked in front. It neither belonged to me nor Chaeyoung. Where was Hoon? This made me a little afraid and anxious since I'm alone.
 

 

While I was panicking, the pounding on the heavy front door continued then followed by a shout, "Son Chaeyoung! Open!" It echoed through the house. I frowned and immediately dashed to the front door. It was her, judging from the voice. I twisted the doorknob and slightly pushed the door open. I was right. She stood unsteadily as she leaned on the wall. she was drenched, it dripped off her hair and still seeping from her jeans onto the floor. I felt sorry for the dark way the rain stood on her face and soaked her shoulders. I should have open the door much earlier.
 

 

Water trickled down her brow to her eyes as she stared at me, also visibly taken aback, "Mina" She muttered. Her face was pale. I couldn't make out the look in her eyes. They were dull, glassy, bloodshot. It looked like she had been crying. She also smelled of alcohol and appeared intoxicated. She must be drunk. 
 

 

"Jeongy---" I didn't finish as she clumsily moved forward and buried her face in my shoulder. I winced from the cold contact and managed not to stagger under her weight as she flopped onto me. Her arm wrapped around my waist as she tugged me close. She clenched a handful of my dress in her fist. I didn't know what happened to her but I assumed it wasn't good and she badly needs comfort. I hugged her and lightly tapped her back, hopefully that will help even a little.
 

 

Now what? I sighed and stared at her who passed out on the couch. I thought exasperatedly, Miss Jeongyeon was a fool, coming through the heavy downpour like this with no raincoat. Whatever she had to tell Chaeyoung, it could have waited. I sat beside her and touched her forehead, she was burning. She really needed to change her clothes. Her black socks clinging to her ankles like seaweed, her hair came untied and her dress shirt was muddy where the dust had mixed with sweat and rain.

 

 

Unwillingly, weird scenarios played in my mind. I covered my face. No no no, I wasn't in a romance book and I am definitely not the love interest of the main character who had no choice but to undress her. Not the cliche. Oh God, that wasn't happening. But it really was. I groaned. What should I do? Well it wasn't a big deal. We are both women. Still, it didn't feel right. Even her, being inside this house with me alone, wasn't right.
 

 

I stood up, anxiously walked back and forth as I think for a way. Ah right, my phone. I roamed my eyes around and found it on the table. I picked it up and looked through my contact. Hopefully, she had time. I was about to press the call button when arms crept around my waist from behind. I flinched and quickly glanced to the side. It was Jeongyeon. Since when she was there? She wrapped her hands in my shirt and let out a long sigh. She moved her head up on my shoulder so that I could feel the brush of her breath on the skin of my neck.
 

 

I shifted uncomfortably and tried to shove her away but she only tightened her grip. "J--Jeong-----Ack!" She suddenly pushed me down, pinning me between the arm of the couch and her body. Even though I wasn't really trapped, even though I could easily slip out, panic inched its way up to my chest. And even though she wasn't pinning me until I couldn't move, my mind conjured up the last time I had been pinned down, held in place. Held there so I couldn't struggle, couldn't even move. I closed my eyes, breathing deeply. My hand trembled as I tried to regain control and let my memory slip down where they belonged. I got this. I got this. I got this. I kept chanting the same word over and over again.
 

 

She'd leaned forward, brushed her lips against my forehead. I fluttered my eyes open, and unexpectedly met with a broad smile. Her eyes were very dark and wide-set. Perhaps it was the long lashes that made her gaze look so gentle and warm. But there was something soft and yielding in her expression. I blinked, the fear and anxiety that consumed me earlier washed away. I watched her, mesmerized. No one had ever given me that look; a genuine care other than Sana.
 

 

Her grip loosened on my wrist as her hands came up to cup my face. Gentle fingers trailed alongside the curve of my cheek, her thumb delicately outlined my lower lip. Momentarily, I became lost in the way she gazed at me. She slowly lowered her gaze and stared at my lips as she leaned closed. I clenched my fist and felt the tiny circle of metal against my skin. I glanced over and saw the ring; engagement ring on my finger.
 

 

I'm sorry for this, Jeongyeon.












 

 

*     *     *     *

Chaeyoung


 

Mina placed down a pot of simmering broth in the middle of the table then sat across me, besides that woman. They shared a quick glance and smiled at each other. Jeongyeon picked up a spoon and started probing her food. I stared at them, crossed my arms and leaned back on my seat. I frowned when I saw a big reddish - blue bruise across her forehead. What was that? But that didn't bother me at the slightest. Somehow, there was something else, for what ing ever reason, I felt annoyed and frustrated. The fact that this woman was in my house, the fact that she was eating on my dining table, the fact that she left her scent here, the fact that she was with Mi---what the with that smile?! What the hell with that shy embarrassed grin. I wanted to rip off .
 

 

All of a sudden, faint nausea crept over me, and then everything swam in a gray haze. Now what? Damn migraine. I settled my elbows on the table and cradled my head in my hands. A whopper of a headache lurked right behind my eyeballs. I closed my eyes and massaged my temples with my fingertips. I still felt frustrated although the throbbing had subsided to a calmer, smoldering anger, "You'd better finish that quick or I'll shove it into your mouth," I spat.
 

 

"Chaeyoung, don't be so harsh. She's your sister"
 

 

It was Mina's voice. I gritted my teeth. A fresh swell of rage rose in me. I fluttered my eyes opened and was met with her gaze. She was already staring at me, "Stepsister, I have no relation with her and her beggarly family," I corrected. Mina's eyes widened a fraction, and she looked flustered and anxious while that woman kept eating as though I hadn't spoken a word.
 

 

I snickered, "You see Mina, my mother once picked up a stray and considered her as a friend. We helped her because she needed help, and instead of being thankful to my family, that thanked my father in the most disgusting and unforgivable way. And now that pathetic woman's child has the audacity to take away something that never hers, a place that is not designated for her. How ungrateful and shameless can someone be?"
 

 

Jeongyeon put down her spoon, losing interest in the food before her. She looked up at me and smiled, "You never change, Chaeyoung. Just as selfish and egocentric. You do well to remind me that I have ruined your life but you don't have to. I'm already reminded of it every single day. Thank you for the food Mina, I enjoyed it," She stood up, adjusted her clothes, then walked to the front door. Mina immediately followed and escorted her out.
 

 

I stared at them from far away. They were exchanging few words and Mina seemed to be apologizing as she bowed repeatedly. Jeongyeon glanced at me before she averted her gaze back to Mina. They shared a friendly smile before she left. The entrance door closed with a thud. Mina sighed, "Don't you think you went overboa---"
 

 

I sprang to my feet so suddenly, the chair fell backward with a crash. I charged towards her and grabbed her wrist, held it in a crushing grip. She jerked to a stop, "What did you do with her in my house?"
 

 

Her brow puckered and she replied stiffly, "We didn't do anything. She was looking for you last night and I couldn't reach you. She was drunk then passed out so I let her stay"
 

 

"Do you actually think I'm going to buy that?"
 

 

She sighed, taking my hands into hers,  "Please trust me, we didn't do anything. She stayed overnight since she caught a fever. If you are too doubtful, you can ask Jeongyeon"
 

 

I yanked her off. Her lack of justification went a long way toward soothing my irritation, "Jeongyeon? How can I trust both of you? Trusting someone is a high risk investment and none of you are trustworthy"
 

 

She bit her lips, hung her head low before she lifted her gaze and glared at me, "What about you? I waited and waited last night, you didn't appear. Why bother asking if you wouldn't come?"
 

 

"Are you an idiot? If it already past the appointed time, you should go home. Why are you waiting?"
 

 

"Yeah, I also wondered why did I wait. I knew you weren't coming. Why did I foolishly wait for you? Why did I have hope for someone like you?" She looked at me sharply. A look I couldn't comprehend. Her gaze trailed down to my neck, then her expression fell into something perilously close to disappointment, "If you can't keep that animalistic desire of yours at least, hide the fact that you are ing someone. Cover that hickey, you shouldn't make it obvious, don't make me found out."
 

 

I grazed my fingertips against my neck. There was a small bruise. She could have ask. What did she think of me? I put my hands on my hips and inhaled deeply. My throat filled with rage, fury that was blinding. I tried to conceal my temper but it came steaming out around the edges, "You didn't owe me, don't act like you are my real fiancee. You are working for me, and I hire you, don't forget that"
 

 

She stepped forward, returning the same intensity in her eyes, "You shouldn't forget that you were the one who approached me for help? You are the one who needs me and offered a contract. I'm your partner and we've come to an agreement. I told you, I can't abide cheating. Although this relationship is only a facade, I want you to respect it"
 

 

"Respect? Don't make me laugh" I scoffed and raked my hands through my hair, feeling more frustrated as time went by, "The moment you agree with the contact, you already sold your dignity. Stop using your sister as an excuse. You are no different from the bugs that will do anything for money."
 

 

"You are no different than a beast who has no self-control," She spoke through clenched jaw. Her breathing went ragged, whether from anger or embarrassment or both, I could not tell and I couldn't care less. She closed her eyes. Her eyelids quivered a little when she opened her eyes again, a single tear trickled down her cheek, "You're disgusting. And now since you don't need me and you violate the contract, I assume the contract automatically terminated. There's no reason for me to stay," She stomped past me on her way upstairs.
 

 

I tried to hold my tongue but I couldn't. In that state of uncontrollable rage, I wasn't myself. I chased after her, caught her by the shoulder and swung her around, "A beast is better than a hypocrite, don't you think? You are acting so pure, noble and innocent but behind that face, you are just one money- . Those rumors are right. What do I even expect from a lower class?"
 

 

Without warning, I pushed her against the wall, releasing my grip on her shoulder, at the same time snagged her wrists and pinned them to the wall on either side of her head, "Why? My wealth is not enough so you need a second bank, you have to beg her for more. How much did you earn with that no-value body of yours? How much did she pay you? I'll double it oh wait no, you can set the price"
 

 

I forced her lips apart and hungrily ing my tongue deep inside her warm, sweet-scented mouth, where I lost myself in her taste. Aggressively, I explored the warm, moist cavern, kissing her over and over. My body throbbed, flowing with desire and anger. I bent down at the hollow near her shoulder and started to  her skin. I had expected a scream but there was none, I had expected a violent resistance but again there was none. She was silent. I released my grip on her wrists, so she could free a hand for slapping, but instead, she remained standing motionless, letting me do whatever I wanted with her.
 

 

I halted and breathed in deeply. My pulse beat wildly and my breathing became sharp. The realization of what was happening held me in place. The anger that once took over me were now disappeared as quickly as it appeared. I let my emotions controlled me again. This wasn't supposed to happen. I looked up at her and immediately wished I didn't.
 

 

She was biting her quivering lips, her face was red with shame and humiliation, her eyes bright with tears. It trembled on her lashes then fell in a twinkling droplet of water as she lifted her eyes to face me in hurt bewilderment. I flinched under her gaze. Although she looked hauntingly beautiful, there were pain and anguish in her expression even worst, grave disappointment.
 

 

I slowly pulled away, and was struck with instant regret. It would've been better if she was indeed a , it would've been easier if she was indeed a gold-digger but I out of all people should've known, she wasn't any of that. I blurted things without thinking. Why was I so mad? I would rather if she slap me hard, pushes me away, hit me, curse at me but she didn't. She gave me the chance to stop by myself.
 

 

I gritted my teeth, annoyed with this situation. Why couldn't she be a tougher person? Why did she have to be this weak? Why couldn't she fight for herself? Why did she have to make me the bad person and feel guilty for no ing reason. She was just an employee, my employee. Why did I care so much about her damn feeling?
 

 

I was too immersed with my own thoughts that I barely realized her lips was moving. She was saying something but her voice trailed off into silence replaced by a high-pitched ringing, "Mi----" I was cut off abruptly as a crushing blow caught me on the head. She started to walk away towards the front door.
 

 

I covered my ears. What was happening? The world rattled round and round, my stomach grew tighter. I reached out to steady myself on the wall. I wanted to chase after her but my legs wobbling beneath me. The last thing I knew, I was sprawled on the cold floor. I laid there quietly, watching the curving line of her black hair through my blurry vision then slowly faded.



 













 

  -to be continued-

___________________________________
✒ JunKudo/RenOgura