Green-Eyed Rabbit

Ransomed Fiancée

Chaeyoung

 

 

"Customers are loyal to brands that align with their beliefs. To celebrate Pride Month, we launched a marketing campaign with a message: Flying Bird" I spoke, leaning over the microphone on the podium and pointed to the next slide. Board members, investors, VIP customers, influencers, had their eyes on the presentation. I continued, playing a video commercial my team had been working on.  
 

 

"As everyone can see, the video follows several influencers from the LGBTQIA+ community as they put on their makeup, dance, visit the beach, kiss, and so on. The purpose of the campaign is to promote freedom and acceptance amongst the community" I emphasized more on the effects of the campaign as a whole, and how it could benefit the brands.   
 

 

I made my last statement and peered into the crowd, "We had been receiving a lot of positive feedback from the campaign. We shouldn't be afraid to make our values known, to tackle the big issues. Even if we risk isolating some customers, the sense of belonging and the brand loyalty that comes with it may be worthwhile. Thank you"
 

 

There were a few seconds of awkward silence before the crowd reluctant applauded. I was relieved it was over, at least one step ahead. The room lightened up and I put the computer away. I walked to the back of the conference hall. I was greeted by and congratulated that the campaign was a big success. I glanced over and saw few people crowding her. 
 

 

Five months. We'd been together for five months. The probation period was over. I am now a permanent staff and qualified for the successor formality. There hadn't been any information about the rivalry nor the projects that Jeongyeon and I would be assigned respectively. It must be still under discussion between the Hirai, Son Group and Im Group. I could use this free time to get on with the wedding. It was around the corner, all of the preparations were completed. There was no need to procrastinate, the faster the ceremony, the easier it'd be for me.
 

 

Mina performed well until now. Sometimes, I wondered how much she was affected by the act that had been going on and on for months. She was facing social anxiety, though it didn't seem to be that serious. I knew she hates attention and crowd, but she always managed to pull herself together. I wondered if she ever felt distressed and tired. It crossed my mind a couple of times whenever I saw her interacting with outsiders, strangers she didn't even know in an event we had to attend. To say that I'm worried about her state and well-being, yes I did. If she was not in a good condition, I was also affected, my plan would be at great risk.
 

 

As more people started to gather around her, I made a beeline towards them. Mina was good, but we never know. I needed to make sure she didn't have the thought to quit or made mistakes. Since now, it was a crucial time. I had to be careful, extra careful. No blunder was allowed. We had to be the happiest, sweetest couple everyone envied.
 

 

"Sweetheart," I called and cupped her face in two hands, forcing her to meet my eyes. I moved my hands around her hips and pulled her sharply towards me. She turned to the side and held my gaze. I leaned closer, was about to claim when she abruptly pinched my lips together. I frowned.
 

 

She chuckled and glanced to the employees who were laughing at us, particularly at me."People are watching," She grinned then pecked my lips, "Later at home, okay?"
 

 

I laughed awkwardly and rubbed my nape. What had gotten into me? That was so uncalled for. I'd tensed up because of the upcoming rivalry project. It could be me that made a blunder at this point. The marketing manager, Mr Lee tapped on my shoulder with a teasing smile, "Take it easy, this is still an official meeting. Why are you so in rush?" He winked.
 

 

I wasn't supposedly or should feel embarrassed but I did, for real, I had always acted it but not now. That was low-key embarrassing. Then there was that small annoying tug on my sleeve, I looked at her. Mina lifted her hand and my cheeks. "Your face is on fire. You look like larva. The small red one. Are you sick?" She asked with worried eyes but that tiny tugged on the corner of her lips and the mocking gaze behind her innocent eyes told a different meaning. She was having fun.
 

 

I forced a tight-lipped smile and shook my head. She was too comfortable with me lately, that annoying penguin. I'd definitely pay that back. She kissed my cheeks, "Let me get you a bottle of water. You seem unwell." With that, she walked away with that irritating smile on her face. I rubbed my eyebrow, dammit.
 

 

"Son Chaeyoung"
 

 

I turned to the voice calling and was met with Mr Kimi along with Mrs Eri beside him. I bowed slightly and greeted them. Mr Kimi smiled, "Congratulations and welcome to the Hirai. You've done a great work. Oh wait, it's Director Son now. If you face any problem, don't hesitate to come to us. We will give our best to help you. We are a family now. A family should care for each other. Have faith in us, we will never abandon any of our members unless they abandon us first" Nothing changed in his expression, from the beginning, his dimpled smiley cheeks were shown. Instead, his tone on the last sentence lowered. There was threat hiding behind his voice.

 

 

Mrs Eri giggled and pinched her husband's ear which earned a groan from him. Mr Kimi laughed and the thick atmosphere that surrounded us earlier vanished. "Don't mind him. He's too invested in action movies these days. He is imitating one of the character's famous dialogue."
 

 

I joined their laughter, not understanding. This family was one weird family. Everything was light, there was no tension, no pressure, everyone was just happy and laid back. That was unusual coming from a generational business. Mrs Eri turned to me and handed a white envelope. "Here, tickets to the Les Miserables musical theatre performance. Take some rest and spend time with your fiancee. You were busy with the campaign, she must be longed for you. This is a gift from me, Mina seems to have an old soul. She's wise. I hope she likes it"
 

 

Indeed since I worked my off for the campaign, even since we signed the agreement, I never take her out. She was dragged here and there, attending all of the events and played her role. Other than that, she would stay at home or be with her sister. I should perhaps bring her out somewhere without eyes watching us. Place where she can be her true self and not acting, just to appreciate her effort all this time.
 

 

The sun was setting and there were only little swallows left in the sky. A lot of workers had gone home. There were few left behind in the building. I still had few works to take care of. After taking to the sales manager, I went to the ground floor and met Mina who was waiting at the cafeteria. I escorted her out and hailed a cab, opening the door for her as she went inside. I leaned down, "Let's dine outside, I'll send you the address. I've book a table under my name. See you there at eight sharp"
 

 

She looked up and was about to open but immediately shut it down. Her eyes glimpse to the front. I followed her gaze and saw the reflection of the taxi driver from the rearview. She turned to me and slightly tugged my tie, pulling me lower. I grabbed the car door jamb, keeping my balance. She slant closer, brushing her lips against my cheeks and to my ears, "Who are we meeting? You have to tell me so I can prepare myself" she softly whispered.
 

 

I kissed her cheeks, "No one. It's just the two of us. So wear what you are comfortable with, be yourself." We pulled away and there was confusion written on her face but she nodded anyway. I watched the cab drove away and entered the building to finish some of my hanging works.
 

 

It was a mess. My office room was a city of paper. Books, files, folders, stacked all over, on top of the desk, on the chairs, on the floor, cascading off the side table. I'd been too busy because of the campaign. Since it was a solo project, I led and did almost everything by myself. I was given no assistant to help. It explained why my office was drowning with papers. Mr Kimi informed me that Ms Sakura would be my secretary starting next week. I needed to lessen our contact as much as possible and avoided her. As a secretary, she would always be with me and it felt as if I had CCTV watching my every move. There was no doubt, Mina was a great personal assistant. She kept my things organized and neat. She always gets the work done. Without her as my PA, the works seemed to be doubling.
 

 

I sighed and sat on the leather couch, reading some of the documents. Slowly night fell, the blue sky was dotted with small stars. I stared out of the glass wall behind my desk and stood up, grabbing my blazer. It was quarter past seven. I rode the elevator walked out of the company, not forgetting to bow to the security guard. Another tiresome ethics I needed to comply to maintain my reputation.
 

 

Blue plate Restaurant, I mumbled, fixing the destination on the navigation system. As I started my engine and attempted to drive off, there was a buzz. I checked my blazer's pocket and found my phone. It was a message. I stared at it for a while and changed the headed location to Silver Palace Condominium.
 

 

21st floor, 441. I rang the bell and waited. A moment later, there was quick footstep approaching and the door swung opened. She stood with full view, smiling. She was wearing a white robe with floral embroidery, made of silk. Her face was wet and shiny and water dripping from her hair whilst her feet slipped into fluffy red slippers. I smiled and walked into the living room. I placed my blazer on the armrest and sat down. "Did something happened? Why did you ask me to come?"
 

 

She ambled to the kitchen. I watched her knelt at the wine cabinet under the counter and came up with a dark bottle. She set it down on the countertop and brought out a pair of glasses. She poured a splash of the wine into one glass, lifted it by its stem, swirled it, then took a sip. As she did, her bathrobe slipped off her shoulder, revealing a hint of pale skin and a curve of cleavage. I went to her, fixing her bathrobe, "Put some clothes on, you'll catch a cold. I can't stay long, I have an appointment."
 

 

"You are boring" She scoffed and walked past me, plopped on the couch. I settled beside her. She crossed her legs, revealing the underneath of a thigh. She balanced her wine glass on her right knee, one finger keeping it upright. I sighed, took my blazer and draped it over her legs. She sent a glare.
 

 

I smiled and glanced down at my wristwatch, it was ten minutes to eight, "I can't stay long, I have an appointment."
 

 

She rolled her eyes and pointed towards the corner of the room, "Wear it" I followed her gaze and saw a mannequin with a white dress.

 

 

I stood up and examined the clothes. I had never seen the design before. She took the dress off and with a gentle prod, pushed me lightly into the bathroom. I changed into it and walked out. She looked at me up and down and placed her wine glass on the table. I stood in front of the standing mirror, staring at my own image. I watched our reflection as she wandered around me with her arms crossed, "How do you like it as an advance gift for your wedding? I want you to wear it. It looks perfect on you" 
 

 

"It's stunning. You don't have to but thank you for this" The dress was undoubtedly brilliant, it was classic and modern at the same time. I wasn't sure how to feel about her making a wedding dress for me. She didn't inform or tell me anything about it. I would have declined it but now since it was done, I had to accept it.
 

 

"Don't give me that look. You know I like surprises. Besides, it's not a wedding, it's just a show you have to attend." She said bluntly, her tone dry. I hummed as she walked away, a second later came back with a clothing pin and wonder clips, "Let's see, should I add a cloak? What do you think?" She smiled, seemingly friendlier.
 

 

I shrugged, "I think you know the best" She knew what worked and looked the best. I'm quite knowledgeable but it wasn't my expertise, she instead was excellent in this field. She didn't have any plan for her career path until she graduated high school, automatically I assumed she would venture into business. She proved me wrong. She was a well-known fashion designer.
 

 

I stood still as she fixed the dress, tucking it under the trouser and pinned the accessories. I glimpsed as her, hesitating whether it was a good idea to open a talk about it, "I heard about your engagement with Jeongyeon" I said, nonchalantly, not putting any pressure on it.
 

 

She halted. It was clear how bothered she was. I shouldn't have said it. She then proceeded with adjusting the sleeves as if she hadn't heard anything. "It's strictly business, just like yours" Her voice low. I nodded and brushed the topic off. Silence surrounded us and we stood for what seemed like hours in the fading light, growing into gray shadows of ourselves. At last, she broke the silence, "Chaeyoung, what makes you think I'll keep your secret?"
 

 

I arced my brows, snapping my head toward her. She had her gaze lowered before slowly lifting it and stared into my eyes, "Promise me once the contract end, send her away to a foreign country. I don't want you to have any interaction with her after all of this over"
 

 

I shook my head, "She's nothing. You overthink"
 

 

"Did I?" She snickered, gritting her teeth. "Then prove me wrong, send her away. I don't like that woman. She'll snatch you from me. No matter what, she needs to leave"
 

 

"Nayeon" I cooed, facing her and held her shoulder. Her eyes were unfocused even though she was looking at me, she wasn't truly seeing. 
 

 

"I don't want her anywhere near you!" She rebuked, raising her voice.
 

 

I sighed, massaging my temple and looked away, "That's enough. I don't need you to tell me what to do" 
 

 

She chuckled, stepping forwards and reached out to touch my chin, pulling me round to face her. She stared at me for a moment, smiling. "You'll need me." She breathed out against my ear, pulling away and brushed her lips against my cheeks.
 

 

She leaned back, her thumb caressing my chin. "Without the Im Group's support, do you think you can manage the company successfully? If you are chosen to be the heiress, the board members who sided with Jeongyeon will file an official written petition against you. The Hirai itself won't be able to control all the board members and shareholders. You lied and betrayed them. Do you think The Hirai will help you after you broke off your wedding with Mina? they would catch on that it was just an act. When that time comes, you'll need a new wing. The Im Group could be your greatest ally or foe. That woman will only be your weakness while I can be your source of power"
 

 

I grabbed her wrist, gently pulled her hand away from my face, "The Son Group won't need anyone to be its wing. Once I take one, I'll build my own."
 

 

There was a small twitch in her expression. She was quiet for a while before the frown was replaced by a haughty smile, slowly creeping on her face "Son Chaeyoung," she softly called as she took a step closer and drew me into a warm, protective hug. "No matter what happened, in the end you will come to me. Running, walking, crawling, crying, begging in my arms. I'll embrace you tight, your hair, chase away your fear, soothe your pain. You can't escape and I won't let you go. Since that day, you are mine and will always be"
 

 

"What do you want?"
 

 

"You, you are all I want." She whispered.
 

 

Hearing that, I began to chuckle, laced with a hum of amusement at the matter, "An empty shell?" I arched my brows.
 

 

She pulled away and stared deep into my eyes. Her fingers trailed over my shoulder and to my neck, grazing her fingernails against my skin. "I love you, I love you, I love you," She cooed, while her hands wrapped themselves around my throat as if they were separate entities.
 

 

"How does one define what love is? Chaeyoung, you are a wild stray dog with collar around her neck, searching for something. However, you can't go far. I have you chained. The further you are to me, the harder it will be for you, the tighter it will choke you" She tightened her fingers around my throat, cutting off my air supply. I gasped but did not budge, merely returned her commanding gaze steadily.
 

 

"You are lost Chaeyoung," She breathed out, releasing her hand, then rested it against my chest, "We both are and we both have the temporary comfort for each other. You need me as much as I need you. Perhaps what you are truly seeking for isn't in me. I may not be able to reach your soul nor your heart, but if I can have your body, then, I'll have it" 
 

 

I yanked her hand off me and walked away, "You need some rest. I'm going. I'll return the dress tomorrow"
 

 

She grabbed my hand, cupped my cheeks and pulled me into a kiss. With open mouth and slowly sliding tongue, she kissed me again. Her hands slipping under the shirt, ed and slid it off my shoulder. She pushed me to sit on the couch and hovered over my lap, my hair as she tilted her head, deepening the kiss. I watched her expression, read her eyes. That empty gaze of hers, glistening with tears
 

 

"Stay, please" She mumbled, her hand gripping my shirt tightly. I wrapped my arms tenderly around her, pulling her into a hug that hopefully able to comfort her. Her tears burst into sobs. I felt her hands clutch desperately at my shoulder. Nayeon was right, she needed me, just as much as I needed her.






 

 

 

*   *   *   *

The light and color of morning ade the sky and then hit my sleepy eyes and wake me up. I blinked, covering my face from the light shone through the window. What time was it? I felt a light weight rested upon my shoulder. I turned my head to the side, and there she was sleeping peacefully while hugging my waist.
 

 

I examined her. There were tired lines in her face, as if she had spent days and nights in anxiety. She was pale, her cheekbones were clearly visible under her tissue-like skin, which thin enough to pass for transparent. A strap of her black bra slipped off her left shoulder and down her arms. Her hair sprawled over the pillow, two locks which curled up at the end, and two shorter locks hung down over her . I traced my finger on the arc of her collarbone. She hadn't been eating.  
 

 

Last night was unexpected although not surprising. I was well aware of how unstable and sensitive she could be but she reacted that way as a mechanism to defend herself. There must be a reason. Something or someone had provoked her fear, stirred her emotions, adding fuel to an existing flame. It was either Mr Im or...a new person. Yoo Jeongyeon. If it was the latter, then Jeong you'd wish you didn't. You'd regret hurting her.
 

 

I sighed and hooked my finger through her bra strap, pulling it back up onto her shoulder. Sparkling light suddenly shone forth, blinding me, I shut my eyes and looked away. A pendant appeared between her parted hair. I had never seen her wearing it. I brushed her hair to the back, and stared at the necklace. It was a dazzling pure green emerald pendant with golden chain, dangling around her neck. That was new. She didn't wear accessories to bed, it was uncomfortable for her. She would usually take it off.
 

 

It must be special for her. I slowly lifted her head and replaced my arm with a pillow. I sat up and pulled the covers over her body and up her neck, tucking her in so that she was under the comforter. I get off the bed and closed the window blinds. She must be hungry when she wakes up later. I wore a robe, covering my upper body. I picked my shirt and blazer scattered on the floor and draped them over the couch. My phone fell off the pocket, I grabbed it and realized, it was dead, and .
 

 

Mina
 

 

I totally forgot about her. Nah, she'd be alright. I bet she was sleeping soundly now. She must have gone home when I didn't come last night. I'd just buy her something later on. I drove off to the nearest restaurant and bought porridge, side dishes and some of Nayeon's favorite food. On the way back, a classic store caught my attention. It was an embroidery store filled with handicraft supplies, vintage accessories, and needlecraft kits. Nayeon would love this place, cozy and quiet.
 

 

An elderly woman sat behind the counter knitting with arthritic hands. She was dressed in a faded red silk cheongsam, Chinese traditional dress while her hair coiled up in buns. She stood up when she saw me, walking towards her. I bowed lightly. She smiled in a friendly manner and asked, "Are you looking for something, young lady?"
 

 

I wandered my eyes around the place, accidentally met big innocent eyes staring at me behind the counter. A child, perhaps a granddaughter, hugging a rabbit plushie. A sudden idea appeared in my mind. I diverted my gaze back to the elderly woman, "Do you take hand embroidery orders?"
 

 

She nodded. I smiled and pointed to the white silk cloth hung on the corner of the store, "Then, can I have a handkerchief with custom design?"
 

 

"Yes, what design you would like?"
 

 

"Green-eyed rabbit" I muttered, grinning. It was then I realized that the elderly woman will embroider it herself and that they didn't take custom orders, a dirty and unorganized who suddenly barged in told me. From his tone and word arrangement, he was pissed and I had the urge to bang his head against the wall. I held myself since he was the elderly woman's son. It was not my fault you are an unemployed and ing failure, still relying on your mother for food and a roof.
 

 

Good thing he disappeared to the back of the store, what an eyesore. The elderly woman apologized for his behavior. I smiled and shook my head. I'm already thankful that she was generous to stitch it for me. She stood up and held my arm, dragging me to sit on a wooden chair, "Come, sit here young lady, it won't take long, you can wait here. Do you like blooming tea?"
 

 

"Yes, thank you" I nodded. She smiled softly and walked away, a few minutes later, returned with a cup of floral tea.
 

 

She sat across me and set up the frame hoop, "Why green-eyed rabbit, is it the main character in one of the famous children's stories?" She asked.
 

 

It was indeed.
 

 

A long long time ago, in an isolated village there was a green-eyed rabbit who had a big appetite. She was raised by an evil wizard. They lived in a small house surrounded by stinging nettle. The wizard taught her that grass was green, just like her eyes. It was food to fill her grumbling stomach. But no matter how much she ate and ate and ate, she kept wanting more, she was never full. Soon, she felt pain in her stomach, assuming it was because of hunger she forced herself to eat more until the pain was no longer bearable and she fell on the ground, crying.
 

 

The green-eyed rabbit didn't know that she was wrong all along. The real grass was never green, it was blue.
 

 

That story was Nayeon's most hated fairy tale yet it narrated her life in every way. And I was the first blue grass she ever met.
 

 

Just like the elderly woman said, the embroidery didn't take a long time. I waited for only an hour. She was skilled and keen. It bothered me when she refused the payment for the handkerchief, even when I insisted, she brushed me off. I didn't like to owe anyone so I promised to visit the store again some other time.
 

 

I returned to Nayeon's condominium and she hadn't aroused yet. I prepared her breakfast in a silver tray and placed it on the bedside table along with the handkerchief. It was good that she had some sleep. Her eyebags showed how much she lacked of rest. I stayed for a little longer before leaving her place and went straight home.
 

 

It seemed like I had an uninvited guest. I stared at the black Mercedes Benz parked in the front yard then glanced at the plate number. A really, unwanted guest. Why would she be here? I groaned and hurried to the front door. Not a soul was in the living room, it was empty. I raised my brows when I saw clothes on the table. A blue coat and striped tie, not mine for sure. The hell was that? It was obviously not Mina's either, or was it belong to that woman. I walked to the kitchen and soothe my throat. There were bowls and utensils in the sink. Sighing, I ignored it and climbed upstairs. Mina's bedroom door suddenly opened and I halted, turning around to greet her, but instead I was met with another eyesore.
 

 

"Mina, the water is not runni---" She trailed off, stopping her sentence midway as I stared at her. She was wearing a bathrobe, with wet hair and soap bubbles all over her face. Did she just take a bath in my house when I was away? What were they doing? A second later, Mina came dashing towards us with a towel. She was taken aback when she saw me.
 

 

I stared at the two and huffed, a fresh swell of rage rose in me, "Jeong, the you doing here?"



 




 

  - to be continued-
_________________________________

✒ JunKudo

There's supposed to be a michaeng's kiss scene but after pondering over it, I decide not to insert it. Since this chapter centered around Nayeon and Chaeyoung's relationship, it doesn't fit the chapter. It seemed like I put a lot of metaphor here, I hope you can interpret it in your own ways.

I'm a little excited about the next chapter. It'll get quite interesting. You should look forward to it.