Side Character

Ransomed Fiancée

Chaeyoung
 

 

I went through the paperwork carefully the next day. The offer was good, the source was handful. The one thing nagging me was the five-month probationary period. Three months was the normand I couldn't shake the idea there was more to it in this case. I got up, pacing the floor and ended up staring out the window at the city below far ahead. I liked it here, it was silent and less human compared to the busy city. There was a waterfall if you were to walk deeper into the mountain behind this villa. I used to go there sometimes, it was calming as I dipped myself under the waterfalls. I liked water, I'm not sure why. A knock interrupted my thoughts and I turned my head. Mina was at the door, a cup of coffee in her hands. "I thought you'd like this."
 

 

I accepted the mug, taking a sip. “Thank you."
 

 

She glanced to the paperwork, "Did you go through the paperwork?" I sat down, indicating she should also. I nodded to her question, frowning when she had that penguin-dulled-sickening face again. "You don't look happy" she added.
 

 

"No, it's fine. But the probation period is bothering me. It's longer than usual. I think Mrs Eri is not convinced yet at our relationship. The probationary period is meant to provide employers with sufficient time to evaluate and review their new employees' performance before confirming them as permanent staff. They'll be eyeing me and my work for five months before the Hirai will begin with the successor formality project. It's too long" I explained, massaging my temple as I sank into the armchair.
 

 

She sighed, "What are you planning to do?"
 

 

I stared at her, "Set a date"
 

 

"Are you sure Mrs Eri is watching you? I don't think she would accept you inside the Hirai if she thought you are playing a game."
 

 

"I know but, my gut tells me I need----we need to move forwards" I inhaled a big lump of air, "Our original contract will be terminated after a period of six months. During that time, I doubt the successor formality's project has even started yet. There's a long way to go. We need to rewrite the contract and come with a new agreement. You can name your terms, Mina. You have me under your grips. My life is completely under your control now"
 

 

She studied me for a moment. I waited to see what she would say. What huge dollar amount and demands she would lay on the table. I could afford it, but I was still curious. She retraced a design on the top of my desk, not saying a word. "If I agree to marry you" She began, "You want at least a year"
 

 

"Yes, maybe nine months" I stated, her eyes widened and I hastily added, "Worst possibility, could be two years, with a minimum of one year. I'll reach to my lawyer and we can have these changes written down on paper"
 

 

She bit her lower lips, a complex look crossing her face. "There are things I want."
 

 

I scoffed, "I'm not surprised. You know you hold the upper hand right now."
 

 

"Umm, can I have a bigger tent for Ray"
 

 

"Buy it"
 

 

"You put restriction for him to roam around the house freely without leaches, can I have the restriction scratches out of our original rules"
 

 

I rolled my eyes, "He's been doing it as if he owns the house. Whatever, just make sure he's away from me"
 

 

"A flower vase near the hallway to the dance studio will be great"
 

 

I narrowed my eyes at her, frustrated to the fact that she made it difficult and played around her words. There must be something more valuable that she truly desired. "Alright, done with all of that little . What do you really want?" I arched my brows, "Quater of my fortune? This house? A building complex?"
 

 

She frowned, "I don't want any more money. The current terms are fine"
 

 

"Say it," I crossed my arms. She was nervous and fidgety. There was something she wanted.
 

 

"I want you to stay with your words. No cheating. Can you handle that?" She demanded, an edge to her voice, "I can't abide cheating"
 

 

I huffed out a large puff of air. I knew what she wanted—my celibacy. Rubbing my left eyebrow, I studied her. She was a contradiction. Every woman, I knew would have hit me up for a large sum of money. A house. Jewellery. Easy things for me to give. She wanted something of no monetary valuebut a huge sacrifice on my part. I wondered how she felt about me turning the tables. "I would ask the same of you."
 

 

She raised her chin. "That is not a problem"
 

 

"You won't miss not having for two years?"
 

 

Red hues coloured her cheeks, however, she held my gaze, "You can't miss what you've never had, Chaeyoung."
 

 

I was left speechless out of shock. I hadn't expected her frank confession. She was a huh? Makes sense. Who would want to date and marry her? That was you, Son Chaeyoung. Stupid. But we stood firm in this business relationship. And deep inside I was glad, I chose her. She was unbelievably professional, though quite a hassle but I can take it.
 

 

I stood then sat down on the edge of my desk in front of her. "Are you sure you wouldn't like a nice house instead? Maybe a huge payment to support your while like so you don't have to worry about working for an like me again?" She sighed and shook her head, I hummed, "Is there nothing else I can give you as an alternative?" Her respond was the same. She didn't need all of those. I gave up. She was one weird human. Everyone would have taken the opportunity and fulfil their desire but she was never greedy. I wished she would be, at least a little bit. But what did that even had to do with me? I sighed. "Then, I'll agree with your new terms and we will re-write the agreement. The licence will be out in a few days. We're getting married after the campaign."
 

 

I held out my hand. "A pleasure doing business with you." Tentatively, she grasped my outstretched palm. At least the next two years wouldn't be completely dull.
 









 

*   *   *   *

I had done it. I was an employee of The Hirai. I met with Mrs Eri, signed the offerand much to her delight, I told her I wanted to stay and get started right away. My office was set up. I officially met my secretary, Sakura and Mrs Eri had already placed some folders on my desk. I dove into them with vigour, making preliminary notes, jotting down ideas and thoughts as they came to me. I was working hard for the campaign and had to gain the Hirai trust and support by then. I had a long way to go but being accepted inside this family was a huge first step. It was where the fun part started. I bet Jeongyeon was also now working under the Im Group since the project for her will be assigned by them.

 

 

I was inside the office when Mrs Eri told me there was a small gathering after the office closed. I had texted Mina to inform her, I wouldn't be home, so I was surprised when I saw her walk in carrying, of all things, a tray of cookies. Looking over at the lavish buffet spread out, I wanted to roll my eyes. She brought homemade cookies to an event like this? And why was she here? I hadn't asked her to come. The answer became obvious rather quick. Momo clapped her hands and hurried over to Mina. "You came! And you brought the cookies as I asked! You're the best!" Momo then proceeded to hug her, making a huge fuss over the fact my fiancée was present.
 

 

Schooling my features, I crossed the room ever aware their eyes were on me. I wound my arm around Mina's waist drawing her close. I nuzzled her hair as I murmured to her. "You never told me sweetheart. If I’d known you were coming, I would have been downstairs waiting for you." I tightened my arm. "You are not answering text either"
 

 

She looked at meand I could see the apprehension in her eyes. "Momo insisted I surprise you."
 

 

"We were afraid if you knew she was bringing your favourite cookiesyou'd abduct her and them" Hana teased while clapping hands with Momo who was smiling while munching the cookies. 
 

 

I smirked, "Your concern was right"
 

 

She giggledand I knew, I'd said the right thing. She grabbed Mina's arm. "Now now, that enough lovebirds. Elder Sister wants to see Mina again, and we have many things to gossip about you. Besides, I want to know her preference for the wedding. Girls talk you may say" she winked.
 

 

"I'm a girl too" I complained but they shrugged me off as Hana dragged her away. I made a big show of pouting then went and got another scotch. I did take a couple of cookiesthough. That was how the evening unfolded. It felt as though I wasn't even there. I went from group to group, chatted with Kimi and other directors. They were all teased me for trying to talk about work and insisting this was a social occasion.
 

 

I'm mostly listened to their plans for the weekend, the way they talked about their wives and their lives. I wondered how anyone could be so attached to another person. It seemed to be the same for every one of them. They all watched their respective spouses with loving and adoration gazes. It made me nauseous, but I followed their example, watching Mina as she walked around the room.
 

 

She was talking to people, usually with Momo or Hana by her side. She seemed to be the star of the show. Everyone wanted to talk to my fiancée. Her cookies were a huge hitdisappearing long before any of the other desserts. When had she become more important than I was? She was supposed to be the side character, I was the star. I was always the one who controlled the place. How had it changed? I frowned as I thought about it. It had been the same last week.
 

 

When she was beside me, people spoke to me, engaged with me in conversation. When we were separated, they were polite but distant---there was no casual talk. It was shifted to pure business. I learned, Mina brought warmth and ease to the interactions. Somehow, she made me more likeable, approachable; her softness, elegance and delicacy were doing exactly what I wanted it to do. They were all fond of her. It was what I needed, yet somehow, it still angered me. It made me feel as if I needed her.
 

 

I didn't need anyone.








 

  - to be continued-
_________________________________

RenOgura

Yoooo!! Who do you think will fall in love first? Haru and I have different opinions on who will fall first & who will admit it first & who will say it first. Kekekekee who do you think or want it to be?