Bad Woman

Ransomed Fiancée

Nayeon

 

 

The balmy morning breeze made the curtain fluttered, drifting in from the window. Hair swept across my features. Disturbed, I opened my eyes. The streak of sunlight was peeking, bathing me with its glow. I raised my hand towards the streaming light, watched as my skin golden from the sun. Waited and waited, to feel the heat, the warmth, against my skin. It was hot, it was scorching hot yet why did I always, always feel cold. This coldnesss, was painful. I hugged my arms, staring into the empty space beside me. The memory of her familiar voice stabbed me in a rush of pain, and I curled up on my bed. If only the sun hadn't appeared, I would stay here much more longer, feeling the warmth, the scent, the fragrance, and the presence she had left.  
 

 

I felt suffocated underneath the weight of this momentary, but seemingly eternal, nothingness. That old feeling returned; the feeling of desolation, the feeling of a gaping inner hole inside. My insides ache under the gnawing pressure of this profound vacuum. How can feeling empty be so terribly painful? Why, why do I always ended up like this? Why was it so painful, this loneliness, this isolation. I'm alone. I hated being alone. Honestly, how weak had I become? Or was I had always been this weak?
 

 

I pushed myself up and wore a night robe. I rummaged through the untidy mess on the floor and found a pack of cigarettes inside my purse then pulled out a bottle of whiskey from the kitchen cabinet. Walking back to the bedroom, I sat heavily on the edge of the bed. My hand shook visibly as I placed the long filter-tip cigarette between my lips and lit it. I puffed out halos of smoke and watched them roll through the air. I inhaled a deep breath. I took it between my thumb and forefinger. I pulled out the cork from the whiskey. The smell wafted up from the top. I raised the bottle and took a deep draught, drinking it directly from the bottle.
 

 

I closed my eyes. It was not effective. This wasn't enough. I plucked the spent cigarette from my mouth and dropped it inside the bottle. This wasn't helping at all, at least not anymore. As this void feeling intensified, so does my desire to seek relief. No matter what it took, I just had to suppress this emptiness a little longer. It seemed too hard, too endless to bear such hollowness. So, I reached cigarette, alcohol, works; all in an attempt to escape this old, dark friend: emptiness. Yet I had always dragged back, unable to escape.
 

 

I hugged my knees and laid my head upon them, trying to stay warm, to feel my own body heat, maybe that could comfort me even a little. Tears just began to flow without any notice and I let it be, "Why am I like this?" I whispered. Honestly, I may and may not know the answer.

 

 

"Nayeon" Chaeyoung called. Straddling her hips, I took off my bathrobe and tossed it over the side of the bed before leaning and indulging in another kiss. My hand moved up to her neck and pulled her closer The feel of her body against mine made me feel secure. I fumbled with each button of her dress, releasing it as quickly as possible, and slid it off her. She was calling me but her voice rang in my ears. Angry tears blurred my eyes clouding my vision, and I shook with an emotion I refused to admit. Pain, the sorrow; it brought sadness so profound, so powerful, I didn't really know what I'm doing.
 

 

When I slipped the straps of my bra, she caught my wrist. She rolled me over and pinned me beneath her, every bit as furious as she had been. "Stop it, Nayeon!"
 

 

She gazed at me. I closed my eyes, feeling a wet streak trailed down the sides of my temple and fell onto the soft mattress. I didn't want to look at her in the eye, I'm embarrassed and ashamed of myself. "Am I dirty? Am I not attractive enough? Why aren't you using me? I'm willing to be your object, I'm willing to hand you all of my wealth. I'll be a you can play with any way you wish. I can give you everything."
 

 

Her warm hands moved to cup my face and I felt her thumbs trace gently over my cheekbones. That small motion manages to calm me. I opened my eyes, she smiled, "I don't need or want anything from you and you don't have to give me something in return. I will stay even if you don't want me to. You don't have to feel indebt just because someone is willing to be with you"
 

 

Hearing her words, I found myself leaning my cheek against her hand in a gesture that said more than words could. I held her hand, held it tight, "I'm sorry. It's just, I'm afraid. I'm anxious. Please don't leave me, please. I need you"
 

 

She pulled me slightly and embraced me in her arms, "I'm here. I'm always here." She whispered. I shuddered against her, letting out dammed-up emotions out, not even attempting to stop the tears. I cried for myself in which I had never known love or acceptance or encouragement. Yet, she gave me all, everything I had always been missing.
 

 

She laid me down and settled beside me. She covered us with the blanket and closed her arms around me. I snuggled up against her and rested my head on her shoulder. She began combing her fingers through my hair, "Sleep now, I'll stay with you." I sighed, lulled by her warmth and pleasing scent.

 

 

 

Chaeyoung
 

 

She was the first and only person. Amongst hundreds and thousands of people, in this toxic society, she was the only one that saw me as a person, not object, not tool, but a person. She makes me feel secured, wanted, appreciated. She was all that I need. She was everything that I need in order to survive. Maybe it wasn't Chaeyoung. Rather than the person, I'm attached to the feeling she brought to me, the attention she gave. I couldn't let it go, I'm so weak, I couldn't. Was it so wrong to have her by my side? Was it so wrong to hold onto the only light in your life? Was it so wrong to grow possessive over it? Without her, without it, I would be thrown into the darkness again.
 

 

I was well aware, there was a reason why she couldn't leave me, a reason why she chose to stay beside me. If I use that as an excuse and have her just for myself, would that make me evil? Then, I'm willing to be a bad woman and I could be more evil than this just to have her.
 

 

Everything that happened last night and all the thinking I had done today, drained me. The bell rang in the front. I blinked and turned my head to the front door, wondering if I heard that right. When the bell rang a second time, I called out, "I'll be right there"
 

 

My eyes widened upon seeing the unexpected visitor. I looked through the security panel and saw him standing still. Now? Why? I immediately went back inside and tidied the living room, "Ah!" I winced as I stepped on something. I looked down and saw a shining object. Picking it up, I examined it, "A ring? Is this mine?"
 

 

Without thinking more about it, I tossed it inside the drawer and went back to the door. Fixing my hair and took a deep breath, I opened the door. He stared at me for a moment and walked in. I followed him and stood as he slumped on the couch. He looked troubled, "Appa, what brings you here?" I asked.
 

 

Father glanced at me and motioned to sit across him. He wandered his eyes around, "Why are you in this condominium instead of the house we bought for you to live with your fiancee? I've told you to move out, aren't I?"
 

 

I prepared to make my excuses and take a seat across him, "I've lived here for years, and I need time to adjust"
 

 

"It has been months, do you still need time? Move out and live there instead. Try to get along with Jeongyeon and look after her. Make sure she doesn't cause any problem and act accordingly."
 

 

I raised my head, sensing something from his tone, "Are there any issues?"
 

 

He snickered, "Your fiancee, that fool. Haven't you heard anything from her? Her uncle accepted bribery. Along with the bribery, Jeongyeon covered all the money the swindlers ripped off. That spineless punk. Jeongyeon shouldn't meddle in this kind of matter. It will affect us too. Keep an eye on her, do you understand?"
 

 

I bit my lips, Yoo Jeongyeon. She really caused me more trouble than she already was. This wasn't even the first time. I sighed and nodded, "Yes, I understand"
 

 

Father clicked his tongue, extremely annoyed, "If he's going to take bribes, at least take them from people who are not swindlers. How did he get involved with them? That's why the law should prevent those who have no money from acting out"
 

 

I remained silent. Mr. Im, the CEO of Im Group was a very ambitious man. He was a great leader, an inspiring businessman, but failed to be a father. After all this time, even when I had my own life, my own power and choice, I found myself coming back to him. I didn't know what exactly am I expecting. I listened and obeyed his order when I didn't have to. Why did I always want to look the best in front of him? Maybe it was for his approval, maybe it was for his appreciation, maybe it was for his praise, or maybe because I wanted to be near and had someone to call father. I had no mother. Father was my only family member.
 

 

He stood and fixed his coat before walking away. I had the urge to offer him to eat breakfast before returning since I bet he hadn't had breakfast yet, but it was obvious the answer he would give. Thus, I didn't bother to ask. Our father-daughter relationship wasn't that close to eat together at the same table unless it was a formal meeting. I trailed him behind and bowed. He gave me a subtle nod then left.
 

 

My thoughts diverted back to the current problem, to the specific human that gave me extra works and extreme headache early in the morning; that bird brain idiot! I huffed and stomped towards the dressing room. After taking a bath and changing into a clean and comfortable set of clothes. I sat before the makeup chair.
 

 

I just realized the porridge and handkerchief on the table. I smiled seeing the green-eyed rabbit embroidery on it. When did she prepare all of this? I smoothed my hair, gathered it into a bunch on my shoulder. I tied my hair, secured the handkerchief over it then ate the meals. I should thank her some other time. I drove off to the mansion on our private residence, noticing my good-for-nothing fiancee's car at a distance parked outside.
 

 

My phone rang, I glanced at the screen and saw missed calls and new emails, all of them relating to the problem she had caused. I sighed, anger boiled within me. What could be done about her? How could someone be so irresponsible and ignorant? Why couldn't she have a clear motive and goal? Why did she have to make it complicated? I'd told her, again and again yet she never listen.
 

 

I pulled up in front of the mansion. A tall man standing by the porch door walked slowly toward me and bowed. It was our doorman. I waved my hand, dismissing him. I flung the door opened and she was standing in the living room, halted when she saw me. I marched toward her, fury building with every step, "You! I thought, I lashed this stupidity out of you last time! Didn't learn your lesson after all, didn't you? How could anyone be so stupid?" I rebuked. She didn't move a muscle, her eyes not flinching from mine.
 

 

I stood before her, commanding an explanation. Her look, I assumed, one of such scorn as to bring extreme shame. At least, she knew she had to feel embarrassed. I was uncontrollably preparing to shake some sense into her, awakening her into harsh reality but I held myself, "How bad did things get? I thought your uncle found the subcontractors who had run away and that's how he paid the overdue bills. Did he borrow money from you again? And you filled all the money he lost?"
 

 

"I had no choice." She finally voiced out, "It's true that my uncle accepted a bribe. But it's also true that he returned it"
 

 

"You returned it" I corrected, raked my fingers through my hair, "Listen, what if you got roped in as well. Chairman Son's granddaughter, Yoo Jeongyeon knew a relative took a bribe but swept it under the rug. What if that had hit the press? You are not the only one affected by this but also the Im Group. Does Chairman Son aware of this?" She gritted her teeth, not replying.
 

 

"You Jeongyeon, if you want to be the heiress, you need to leave your family behind. They're leeches. They want to live off you. That insects you call uncles aren't good people. They are subhum---" It stunned me. My words cut off when she struck me across the face with the flat of her hand and I staggered back. Hair flew about my face. One hand came up to cup my face. My cheek stung where she had slapped it and my head throbbed. I was undoubtedly mad, very mad but at the same time, amused. I couldn't believe she just did that. She had got some nerve now.
 

 

My lips twitched as I processed everything. A low bark of laughter tumbled up my throat and I shook my head, chuckling. I turned to her. She was panting, her eyes were blazing. The white-hot anger that paled her face seemed to say plainly enough why she had hit me. Her anger simmered just below the surface and it just boiled over.
 

 

We stared at each other and without any words, I swung around, walking away. I paused when she spoke, "It must be good to be born with a silver spoon, to have everything you wanted with a snap of your finger. That boundless sense of superiority, that ego-centered living, that imbalance of power; There's one thing that people like you will never have, pure affection and love from others and I pitied you. You are just a spoiled brat princess that feeds your ego and gains your self-assurance, confidence and pride by looking down on people"
 

 

"People like me...." I trailed off. The things she said echoed so strongly in my own thoughts. Her words hit like blows. It hits me in a way I'd never thought possible. It stabbed my heart, tore into the very soul of me. I remembered a time when another woman's words had done that very same effect. She was right. What she said wasn't entirely wrong, it wasn't but why did it sting this much. If I didn't use the power that I had, Jeongyeon, I would be used instead and I rather be the predator than the prey.
 

 

I turned around and stalked closer towards her, "Then let me tell you one thing about people like you. Clinging and using others for your own advantages, do you think you are any different. Think again why you are here, you need me to be the heiress. This power that you hate so much is what you need, what you want from me. You used me as your stair to achieving your goal. Do you think you are any better than your uncle, than the parasite out there? You fulfilled your desire by manipulating others, their blood. Stop acting pure and do your job. I'm responsible to make sure you don't disgrace both the Im Group and the Son Group. Your family itself already an embarrassment. I didn't expect much from you, just stop creating mess"

 

 

I punctuated each word by pointing my index finger and poking her in the chest with it, backing her towards the wall, "You are not Chaeyoung, and will never be near her level. With one mistake, Chairman Son can throw you away. The only way for you to survive is shut up and listen to us. You are just an illegitimate child. Know your place. Don't act up. Even if you have our support, we are not hesitant to abandon you if this continues."
 

 

Her jaw clenched, her hand balled into a fist, the veins popping out on her neck. I knew she was holding herself. There were words stuck in . She wanted to deny me but she knew and I knew, what I had said was correct. It was the truth. I sneered from her zero response and left her standing with her head hang low.









 

*     *     *     *

Jeongyeon

 

 

I flopped down on the couch, rested for a moment and controlled my uneven breathing. My hand trembled. I recalled the sound of my hand cracking against the bare flesh of her cheek echoed through the room. The slap was so intense that my hand reddened and burned with pain. What had I done? I was so angry, I acted impulsively. I buried my face in my hands and heaved a long shuddering sigh.

 

 

My phone rang. I glanced at it and saw missed calls from Ms. Jihyo, Chairman Son's secretary. That means, he was looking for her. I immediately sprang up and changed into clean, new clothes. A white dress shirt and a turtleneck.
 

 

I jumped into my car and raced towards the company. The Chairman hated waiting more than anything. He was very punctual. As soon as I reached his office--- the highest floor in the building---I searched for Miss Jihyo to announce me, but realized she was probably attending a meeting around this time. I readied myself and knocked.
 

 

Mr. Chairman stood with his cane. Terror washed over me. I was paralyzed to the spot, the menacing aura holding me in a tightening grip. His eyes were deep-set and dark, and his face held a fierce scowl. His hands were in his coat pocket, and as he came up closer, he asked, "Son Group Construction's general manager, Yoo Il-Jook caused a mess and you covered it up. You filled in all the money he lost. How many times has it been? He not only caused trouble in Singapore but also received bribes?"
 

 

I bowed low, low enough for me to almost bend over. "Mr. Chairman. Have mercy on him"
 

 

"I'll have him thrown in jail right away. We're not doing charity work here. I'm not going to have mercy on that criminal. I'll throw him in jail. He'll have to live there for the rest of his life"
 

 

"Mr. Chairman, please. Please have mercy on him. Uncle is not a bad man. He isn't a man who's after somebody else's money. He did part-time jobs since college to support his siblings. His older brother gets caught in an accident and his restaurant almost went bankrupt. So he must've been trying to find a way on his own because his whole family was getting kicked out onto the street. He got divorced three years ago. He doesn't even have custody of his child. If he goes to jail because of this, he won't even get to see his child anymore. He's only alive because he gets to see his kid twice a month. He's working because of his child. He can't go to jail. As his niece, I couldn't let that happen. Mr. Chairman please have mercy on him"
 

 

"His niece?" He asked, more like wanting to know whether he heard it right, "Have you decided to be that loser's niece instead of my granddaughter. The family from your mother's side is not your family! If you want to be his niece then get out this instant and resigned."
 

 

I stared at the ground, not detaching my gaze from it. If only I could, I would have done it a long time ago. This was the time where I should keep my mouth shut. I should but the urge to go against him overpowered me. I rose and stood straight, fixing my gaze at him, "If I do, will you let Chaeyoung go? Will you stop harassing and threatening my family?"
 

 

He lifted his cane and used it to push me on the shoulder, "Whatever happens to them depends on your decision, Yoo Jeongyeon. As for your uncle, I'll deal with him according to the law and hand this case to the legal department. I'll sue for the compensation as well as report him for fraud and embezzlement"
 

 

"Fraud and embezzlement are not strange words to this company." I sighed. Stop, I knew that I should stop talking and took whatever it was that he said. Like I always did, listen and endure everything. It was my specialty yet here I was digging my own grave, "I've worked here for years, and I have the record of all the money laundering, bribe and illegal activities. Not the successor, but the Chairman himself is taking and giving bribes. Wouldn't that article have a bigger effect"
 

 

He was furious, extremely furious, "On your knees. Now!"
 

 

I swallowed my pride and the urge to rail against the powerlessness that caged me. It wasn't like I had any more of that. I just had to kneel, I had done it countless times, why was it so difficult to do now? Slowly, I sank to my knees and knelt before him with my head bowed beneath his foot. I bit my lips until it bled, holding back the word, holding back the overwhelmed emotions; anger, frustration and humiliation.
 

 

He grabbed his wooden sword and pointed it under my chin, raising my head, "A dog should obey his master or he'll get shot right on its head, and he knows it. So, how dare you bark at me?" He clutched the handle tighter but decided that wasn't enough as a punishment. He threw it and pulled out a golf club from the bags. I closed my eyes, readied myself for the impact.
 

 

Soon, it smashed my head around and flung me to the side. I didn't lose consciousness or go into a shock although it was incredibly painful. The first blow sent my head spinning. It felt like someone was holding a blowtorch right up to my skull just above my ear and pressed the blue flame into my skin. I dropped to the ground, held my hand to the side of my head. Warmth. Blood. Lot and lots of blood. Another swing, this one catching me on the biceps, then on my back. I didn't have the right to fight. I deserved this. This was the first time I spoke up against him, and it was natural for him to get this mad.
 

 

This kind of physical punishment left no permanent telltale marks on the body. He didn't want anyone to know, Chaeyoung and I also didn't want anyone else to know this kind of discipline he used on us since we were little. He didn't use sharp objects that could rip your skin apart on a large scale instead he used a blunt force. We were unlucky if it causes us to bleed.
 

 

He raised his club again. I grimaced. Maybe something would stop him? This pain, I didn't think I could take another blow. Hopefully, someone, someone could just help me and stop him. It was a funny wish obviously. It seemed more likely that he would hit me again. I flung up my blood-drenched hand to ward off the blow.
 

 

'knock knock'
 

 

His movement came to an abrupt halt at the sound of someone knocking on the front door. I sighed in relief, loosening up as the tension left my body. Was that Ms. Jihyo? But she was attending a meeting. I raised my head and saw that woman instead, my fiancee, Im Nayeon. Without sparing me a glance or acknowledging my presence, she walked ahead towards the Chairman, standing across him. Mr. Chairman laid the golf club gently on his table then fixed his vest. He pulled out a handkerchief and dried his forehead and sweaty palms. He smiled, "What brings you here, sweetie"
 

 

She bowed slightly, "Good morning, Mr. Chairman. Father alarmed me about Yoo Il-Jook issues and I think it's for the best if we handle it secretly. If this case is brought up to the court, we will lose customer's trust and investors. It might not directly impact us but it will shake them, putting doubt in our credibility. This case hasn't reached the prosecutor yet and the detective in charge is an acquaintance of mine. If we could gain his favor, this issue can be settled easily."
 

 

Mr. Chairman hummed and glared at me. He folded his handkerchief and went closer to her. He took her hands, giving it a light tap, "All right then. Nayeon, you can take care of the matter. I believe in you. I'm sorry for the mess and have concerned your father. Please send my apologies to him"
 

 

She nodded, "Then, I'll take my leave." As usual, she had that expressionless face, that empty eyes even when she saw what had happened and stood motionlessly in front of the Chairman. No matter who, board members to shareholders, all had that equal extreme respect and fear on the Chairman yet she showed no sign of it. No fear, she wasn't intimidated by him even the slightest.
 

 

She walked past me and paused. I heard her heavy sigh before she turned around, facing the Chairman, "Can I borrow my fiancee for a while? We supposedly go for a date but someone is holding her up and it's pissing me off."
 

 

Mr. Chairman was stunned, we both were. Did she really just said that? I blinked, trying to understand her words. No, we weren't planning for a date. We made an agreement and only acted in a public event. She just lied in front of the Chairman and indirectly challenging him. How big was her gut? It seemed boundless. I nervously glanced at Mr. Chairman. There was silence before he broke into laughter. I looked at her and she had that annoyance visibly plastered on her face. Mr. Chairman nodded, and gestured toward me as a sign of dismissal.
 

 

I stumbled to my feet and made myself stand up, ignoring the complaints from my abused body. My ears were ringing and my head spun. She swung around and left us behind. I looked at the Chairman, he seemed to be amused. I bowed, clutching my biceps. My whole body filled with dull aching pain. As I walked out, I saw her standing inside the elevator as the door slowly closed. I stayed still, didn't bother to catch it and waited for the next one. In the gap between the closing door, her hand suddenly reached out and held it. The door opened again and she stared at me, "Get in" she ordered. She always had that commanding tone. It was quite irritating.
 

 

I hastily entered and we stood in silence. The elevator shut and began the long descent towards the building lobby. My head hung low, for unknown reason I couldn't see her eyes. Perhaps, I was embarrassed for countless times today. I felt the heavy pressure and couldn't help but to raise my eyes, peeking at her silently. As if she felt my gaze, she indifferently glanced in my direction. I hurriedly withdrew my gaze to conceal the awkwardness. I sensed her movement, she was turning to face me. What? What was it now? Was she going to throw sarcasm or anything.
 

 

"Look at me" She spoke. It wasn't like I had any other choice. We faced each other. She scanned my face and rummaged through her purse, taking out wet tissues. She leaned forward causing me to instinctively move backward. A warning glint in her eyes and I stopped, avoiding her gaze. She didn't have to be that scary. She wiped the blood on my forehead while brushing a hand through my hair. I froze, and let her be as she moved to my clothes, tidying and fixing them.
 

 

"We are engaged now. You represent the Im Group as well. Watch your behavior and appearance. Didn't you have a better outfit than this? Your fiancee is a fashion designer and here you are wearing a burial shroud. Don't ruin my name and reputation." She nagged. Nagging and nagging, that was everything and the only thing ever escaped her lips. Other than that, she rarely opened and talked to me unless it was to remind me how bad I am and how I should do better. And this dress surely wasn't a burial shroud though it was quite worn.
 

 

I silently scoffed and rolled my eyes. She sounded like an oldie, Miss grandma at this point. She was still busied herself with my collar when I noticed her bruised cheeks. There was a fingers imprint left outlined on it in a broad red streak. Was it because of the slap? Guilt rushed through me. It looked painful. Without much thought, I cupped her face and caressed my thumb along her swollen cheek as if  I hadn't hit her there.
 

 

She raised her gaze and looked at me dead in the eyes. I flinched from the intensity of her glare, "Pull your hand away or I'll cut it off. The next time you lay a finger on me, you'll be handless"
 

 

I immediately distanced myself and stepped back, rubbing the tip of my nose. The heck? What am I doing? It seemed that she'd done as she turned away, glanced up to the elevator's panel. We were on the 11th floor and it was still descending. I massaged my biceps and recalled how she confronted Mr. Chairman,"Why did you do that? Why did you save me?" I asked.
 

 

"I saw a dog being beaten by his owner. I wish I didn't come when it happened but now that I witnessed it, I couldn't ignore the abuse. It's my responsibility as a human being to help. So, don't think much about it, everyone would have done the same"
 

 

I didn't exactly know if I should feel thankful or humiliated. As we went closer to the lobby, she took out black sunglasses from her purse and handed it to me. I wore it, understanding that she intended to hide the wound on my forehead. The elevator door 'pinged!' opened and she intertwined our hands. She turned to me, her face bright and joyful, "Smile" She said so casually and dragged me out.

 

 

Exiting the elevator, we responded to each greeting by the employees with a smile. We walked out of the building and entered a waiting vehicle. As soon she had closed her door, she yanked her hand off mine and pulled out her phone, scrolling through her emails. The car slowly drove off, "Visit the hospital. Treat your wound. We have to attend board meetings for the successor formality project. You can't come looking like that"
 

 

Yeah yeah yeah. I knew it already. She didn't have to say it. I rested my chin on my knuckle and looked out the window. "Uncle is a nice person, so he often gets manipulated by people around him. His older brother is a little sick. He had an accident but uncle couldn't tell me because he was afraid I'd worry. So, he tried to take care of it by himself" There was no need for an explanation but I felt like she had to know, I didn't want her to think badly about my family. She kept reading her emails. I wasn't sure if she was listening to me. I turned my head towards her side, "Why do you think I want to be the heiress?"
 

 

She sighed and replied lazily, "I don't know and I don't want to know. Let's not waste time trying to get to know each other or indulge in any conversation. It's tiring and useless"
 

 

"But I do. We are engaged. It's just right for me to know more about you and for that to happen we need to talk."
 

 

"You already know everything about me. I'm the spoiled princess that feeds my ego by looking down on people. I'm that woman who has no empathy towards anyone else. That selfish woman that only cares for herself. You got all right."
 

 

Did I say that? Yes I did. All of it though what I said was the truth. That was still my impression of her even up until now. But I knew I could've worded it nicely and didn't have to rub it on her face, "I'm sorry, I shouldn't have said those to you."
 

 

She turned off her phone and looked at me, "I don't need an apology, what you said wasn't entirely wrong. I'm that kind of woman, that bad woman in your eyes. So, this woman has absolutely no interest to talk to you and know you better. You only need to do your job and my responsibility is to help you, that's it. After a year, we'll break this engagement. There's no need for us to be close. Let's stay as a stranger and separate as a stranger"
 

 

She said it so easily, as if she had a script in front of her. I never heard her stutter, she was always full of herself, confident.  I wondered if this woman had any weakness, any vulnerability. At any time, any situation, she managed to handle it professionally. She was rational, composed and emotionally stable. At most time, she didn't care about other people's feelings. She said what she wanted to said and struck people with her sharp words. Rather than a human, she looked like a mean robot. Though I knew she was fond of Chaeyoung. I wasn't really sure what kind of relationship they shared, it seemed like Chaeyoung was her only friend.
 

 

I seized her up and noticed she was wearing the necklace, the butterfly emerald pendant. I smiled.


 

The restaurant was empty but all the tables were set up for dining. We ate in solitary silence. The kerosene lamps provided a beautiful, soft, orange glow. We were having dinner together as per Mr Chairman request. I glanced up at her. Her hair was dressed in a long plaits which fell over her , while she had a natural makeup. She hadn't utter a single word since she came.
 

 

I put down my utensil and slid a black box across the table, "An engagement gift"
 

 

She took it in her hands and opened the lid. She examined then closed it, setting it to the side, "I don't wear necklace"
 

 

"You don't have to wear it. Just keep it, I'm borrowing it to you. We will be together for a year and you are legally my fiancee. I want you to have it. My mother gave this to me before she passed away. She told me to hand it to my future spouse" I convinced. It wasn't really necessary and I didn't have to but the necklace kept bothering me. I felt obligated to give it to her, at least for now.
 

 

She sighed, looking rather annoyed and troubled, "You are making me feel burdened"
 

 

I shook my head, "Its just a necklace and after a year you have to return it"

 

 

What a tsundere fiancee.












 

  - to be continued-
___________________________________

✒JunKudo/RenOgura

A/N (JunKudo) : So...haha where do I start. First, we are sorry for the long chapter. If it's too long, we will try to make shorter chapter next time. We love Nayeon character too much.

In the previous chapter, I see lots of readers judged and assumed to quickly on Chae which I enjoyed so much. It's not only you, even Mina haha. Now, what do you want in the next chapter? Another 2yeon or MiChaeng argument 2.0

There will be changes in the previous later since we will slowly edit it. We will inform readers what chapters that has major editing. Please re-read that again so you won't be confused later on. I didn't plan this book through, at first I just want to take it lightly and not really dive into it but since it seems like people are interested in this book, I can't disappoint you. So, I have a pretty well outline though the ending hasn't been decided.