Mini Project

Ransomed Fiancée

Chaeyoung

 

 

Facing the door, I sat alone in a dimly lit restaurant. I had booked the entire place since she didn't like noises. It was also a precautionary step to avoid scandalous rumour. I glanced at my wrist watch. She was late. That was very unlikely. While waiting, my thoughts were completely occupied by Mina. After the birthday party at Mr Lee Yul's residence, she had been acting a little different. I wasn't sure what it was but something had changed.
 

 

The sound of heels clicking on the marble floor snapped me out of my thoughts. She  put down her handbag, casually pulled a chair over and sat down. She stared at me briefly. Propping her elbow on the table, she rested her chin in her hand and leaned forward with a smile, "What were you thinking so hard earlier?"
 

 

I shook my head, "It was nothing,"
 

 

"Wrong. You should have said that you were thinking of me," She pouted then  waved the waiter over, "I'm starving," She added.
 

 

I chuckled. She seemed exhausted. We had dinner together. She kept giving me sidelong glances while she picked at her food and insisted on feeding me a particularly succulent piece of meat off her plate, "I thought you are hungry?" I asked.
 

 

She shrugged, "Well I am. Are you not going to compliment how I look? I feel extremely pretty today" She tucked loose ends of hair, which had fallen from her long, dark braid, behind her ears. A cheeky smiled formed on her lips. Her smoldering eye makeup and bright red lipstick popped. Light sprinkles of gold glitter sparkled on her forehead. She was dressed up in a lace peplum dress with a leather collar. And, the most noticeable was a black fingerless arm glove.
 

 

"You are pretty everyday, Nayeon," I exclaimed. The smile in her face grew. I stared silently at the glove she wore, "Did you attend a show?"
 

 

"Yes," She sighed, slumping in her seat and folded her arms across her chest, "Seoul Fashion Week for fall and winter collection. Nothing interesting. It was boring,"
 

 

Before I had a chance to answer, the waiter came with the deserts. He served us and asked if we needed anything else. He filled our glasses and I took a hearty gulp of the wine, my gaze on her. She scooped up a spoonful of some kind of fruit pie and aimed it at my mouth, "Open," She said and I did. She fed me then picked up her spoon and took a bite of my dessert, "Yours is better than mine," She concluded, changing our desserts.
 

 

I rubbed the edge of my eyebrow, she noticed it, "Nayeon---" I called.
 

 

"If you are going to talk about that woman. Don't,"  She said, firmly.
 

 

I pulled the napkin from my lap and wiped my mouth before placing the napkin on the table, "Since you mentioned it, I will tell you this very clearly. Before today, I still cherish our relationship, consider you as someone who's precious to me, and turn a blind eye to your actions. I have been patient. I hope to remain patient. But there are some things I won't allow. From today onwards, please do not challenge my bottom line. Otherwise----"
 

 

"Otherwise?" She interrupted, her tone challenging. Her expression completely changed and became a somewhat dissatisfied frown.
 

 

"Nayeon," I sighed, "What you did yesterday was dangerous"
 

 

She put down the spoon on the table, "I lose my appetite" She stood up and grabbed the strap of her handbag. Her eyes darkened as she headed towards me. I turned to the side, facing her direction. She gripped my thighs and bend forwards. I stared unblinking and undaunted into her callous gaze. Her face screwed into venomous fury, "If you dare to threaten me again, I will not hesitate to put her in her place. Next time, that woman that you all tries so hard to protect won't walk away with just a scratch"
 

 

She pulled away and stared down at me, "Starting from now on, it's best not to mention her name infront of me. If you do----" She pursed her lips, "----I'll sulk" With that, she slipped her purse strap over her shoulder and walked away. 
 

 

I saw that coming.
 

 

She had a totally different type of stubbornness. Why did you keep pretending to be someone you weren't? It only hurted yourself. Hadn't you figure out yet? I was worried about you. I couldn't bear to see you lying on the white bed with tubes all over your body, again. How much longer were you going to put on that mask? I rose to my feet, paid the bill and chased after her. She was about to enter her car. I held her upper arm, stopping her from slippers into the driver seat.
 

 

"Let me take you home" I said. She gave me a deadpanned look, "You can't drive, Nayeon. I'll return your car tomorrow," I took off my blazer, draped it around her shoulder and led her to the passenger seat. I had to go here by cab since my car was at the workshop for its maintenance service. I could easily drive my other car but I was already close to this restaurant. I started the car's engine and switched on the heater. I glanced at her, "Stop driving on your own. I'll get a driver for you," she didn't answer and looked out of the window instead. I reached out my hand to buckle her seat belt them drive away.
 

 

I stopped the car in front of her condominium building. I turned to her. She was still looking out of the window, her chin propped on the heel of her right hand. My gaze fell on her left hand. I took it gently from her lap and stared at the black arm glove she was wearing, "You haven't done it for years," I mumbled, caressing the back of her palm, "Why did you do it?"
 

 

She looked at me and retracted her hand, "It's nothing,"
 

 

"Was it because of your mother?" I asked. That old woman had a great influence on her. When, I saw that woman in one the event I had to attend, I was taken aback. I hadn't seen her for more ten years. It was definitely because of her.
 

 

Nayeon hang her head down and stared blankly at her fingers, "Chaeyoung," she called then lifted her eyes, "Do you want to run away? Let's leave this place and run away. Leave everything behind. Everything. Let's forget it all and start anew, somewhere, somewhere peaceful, just the two of us"
 

 

Her voice...
 

 

She meant what she say.
 

 

"Why would you want to run away from everything?" I moved closer as the words left my mouth, my tone softening.
 

 

She broke out eye contact and looked away, "I didn't necessarily mean it literally. I just meant it's nice to escape sometimes"
 

 

She was always proud of herself. Her self esteem would have never allow that. She was never afraid to face challenges ahead, no matter how difficult and painful it was. So, her muttering this words was, unexpected though not surprising, "That's unlike you," I stated, "Escaping won't solve the problem. It will follow you wherever you go. You'll never be truly free from it"
 

 

"I know," she sank into her seat and sighed, "Do I not deserve even a break?"
 

 

It must really get into her. Whatever the problem was. I gathered her hands in mine. I took the opportunity to study her face while she stared at our adjoining palms. She seemed exhausted. I tapped her hands softly, "All right then, do you want to go on a trip? But now is not the best time. Winter hurts your body. I'll plan for a trip, just the two of us during summer. You can take some fresh air and clear your mind. How about that?"
 

 

She didn't reply. Silence grew between us. She was thinking. I couldn't guess what she had in mind because she was looking down. She opened and spoke, "Is that out of love, pity or your guilty conscience?"
 

 

Words left me. Why did she suddenly ask that? I tightened my grip on her hands, "Does it matter?"
 

 

She raised her head and stared at me. Her eyes were determined, "It does"
 

 

"What matter is, I do it because I genuinely want to," I formed a small smile, "I want to take you to a trip and make you feel better. Will you come with me?"
 

 

Again. She didn't answer. Her eyes remained fixed on me, motionless. Eventhough, I could see her face, still I had no idea what she was thinking. Empty ocean without any living creatures inside of it, not even a stream of sunlight. It was dark, cold and lonely. Her eyes was exactly that, reflecting mine, "Is she still mean nothing to you?" she started, "That woman, Myoui Mina"
 

 

Myoui Mina.
 

 

I didn't know, honestly. I was uncertain with myself. What should I say? Before I manage to utter a word, Nayeon cupped my mouth, "Don't answer," I frowned. She pulled away and opened her car door, "I'm going in now" she said before exiting. I looked at her through the rear view mirror. She grew smaller as she walked away. She was about to enter the building. I started the engine and glanced at her one last time. She was clutching at her left thigh and leaning against the wall with all her weight on her right leg. What happened? I immediately ran to her.
 

 

I stepped to her side, and laid a hand on her arm, "Are you all right?"
 

 

"Why are you not leaving yet?" She looked at me through her parted hair that was covering her eyes.
 

 

I brushed the hair from her face, "You shouldn't drive. It weakens your legs. Listen to the doctors. Why are you so stubborn?"
 

 

"Not more than you," She chuckled. I took her hand and led them to my neck before scooping her into my arms. She laid her her head on my shoulder as I carried her to her condominium, "Doctor Lee called me. She said you hadn't went to the appointment. She asked me to convince you," I set her down carefully on the couches," Why didn't you go?" Crouching down, I took of her heels, "And stop using this unnecessary heels, it's not good for your ankle,"
 

 

She sighed, "Doctor Lee had been nagging me since yesterday. Not you too,"
 

 

"It's dangerous. Wear sandals or sneakers from now on"
 

 

"That's boring,"
 

 

I stood up and sat beside her, "Let's go to your appointment together. I'll accompany you next time. I also want to know if-----" she put a finger over my mouth, gesturing me to keep quiet.
 

 

"I'm not a toddler, Chaeyoung. I can take care of myself," She trailed her finger down to my throat, "You being nice make it harder for me. It makes me want to keep you all by myself."
 

 

"Aren't you already?" I laughed.
 

 

"No," she pursed her lips and leapt on top of me, her hands rested on my chest, "If I had it my way, I will cut off your legs, close a metal choker around your neck and chained you to the wall," she looked at me, "Then, you won't be able to leave my side, even for a second"
 

 

I laid back, resting the back of my head on the padded arm of the couch, "That sounds crazy," I chuckled.
 

 

"I am crazy," she buried her face into the crook of my neck.
 

 

I tapped her back gently, it was comforting for her, "I'll stay and leave when you've fallen asleep" she hummed. We laid there, holding each other for a long time. In the eerie silence, frightening darkness. We were together and now, she wasn't lonely anymore, so was I. The assurance that someone was fighting the same battle as you. The connection and the pain only the both of you understand. Sometimes, none of us had to speak, we knew with a single glance, ah...she was hurt, she was sad, she was breaking, then we would comfort each other. 
 

 

This comfort, this warmth and this sense of familiarity. Nobody put label on this feelings. Hence, I always had a trouble understanding this complex relationship that we had. Though, I was sure of one thing. We needed each other.
 

 

"Chaeyoung,"
 

 

"Yes?"
 

 

She sat up and straddled my hips, "Do you want an advice?" she asked. Nayeon was truthful and direct. She gave me a lot of useful advice for my project and never once they failed. I pushed my upper body with my elbow and sat upright. She stared at me, "The biggest threat to that woman isn't me but you,"
 

 

What?
 

 

She leaned closer and pecked my cheek, "Good night kiss. I'll be looking forward to the trip," she stood up and walked to her bedroom, "You can go now. I'll take a shower first and go straight to bed. You don't have to worry."
 

 

I went after her, "Are you sure?"
 

 

She turned around and we stood, facing each other. Her eyes looked at me briefly before her gaze dropped to my lips. She smiled and traced the line of my lips with her thumb, "Chaeyoung, if you stay any longer, I can't let you go. I'll be fine. See you tomorrow," she waved her hand and disappeared into her bedroom.
 

 

"The biggest threat to that woman isn't me but you,"
 

 

I climbed behind the wheel and rubbed the edge of my eyebrows. Her words before I left still lingered around my mind. What did she meant by that? Gripping the wheel, I clutched my head when sharp pain suddenly attacked. Dammit. It had gotten worse than before. Sweat drenched down my temple. I stayed there until it gradually subsided. I drove away, although it was late, I had no choice. Her words would plagued me all night.

 

 

"I'm a surgeon not a therapist" Dahyun sat next to me on the bench. She placed a few can of beer on the table. I took one and pulled the tab, taking a mouthful sip. Cold as heck. We were in the front yard of her house. It was freezing cold but it was either that or leave. She was strict. Her girlfriend stayed overnight and she didn't want to disturb her sleep.
 

 

You love struck idiot.
 

 

I shrugged, "You told me to do what I want to do without questioning anything,"
 

 

"And you wanted to choke her?" she asked, looking disbelief.

 

 

Well, I rubbed my eyebrow, "I was----angry"
 

 

"That's not what I meant when I told you to do what you want to do without questioning anything. You should treat her with kindness and politeness rather than being an aggressive garbage brain!" she yelled. I flinched. That was very unexpected. She rarely raised her voice. I was surprised. She breathed out and chuckled awkwardly, "Oh sorry, woah, I lose my cool there" she sure did.
 

 

"Baby, is everything okay?" A voice called. We turned around and saw Momo opening the door and peeked her head out. She looked at us worriedly.
 

 

Ouch! I rubbed my arms where Dahyun had secretly punched before she walked to her girlfriend, "Yes, I'm sorry. Did I wake you up?" she asked. Her voice drastically change. Softer, too soft that it was nauseating. She held Momo's hand and smiled. A smile that I had never seen. A very soft smile, too soft that it annoyed the hell out of me. You think you were the only one who had a girlfriend? I had a wife. A wife. Better than you. They walked inside together and Dahyun motioned me to wait.   Wait for you guys to finish eating each other? I rolled my eyes.
 

 

Whatever, my wife was better, ier, curvier and more----
 

 

My wife? A sinful image of Mina flashed across my mind. I shook my head. Guilt filling my consciousness. What was I thinking? I felt a sudden rush of blood to my cheeks. I hid my face behind my palms. Was it because I didn't read Holy book today? I should read it more regularly. Thinking about it, since my marriage, I hadn't slept with anyone. It was Mina's rule. I somehow wanted to let her know that I hadn't broke that rule.
 

 

"Why are you so red?"
 

 

I looked up, it was Dahyun. She flopped down beside me. That was quick. I could do better than that. I smirked, "How's your relationship with her going?"
 

 

"Perfect," she grinned, "I'm not an uncontrollable mad jerk with a superiority complex and family issues. So, we are doing well"
 

 

I clutched my heart, "You don't have to hit me right in the jejunum"
 

 

"You deserve it"
 

 

"Are you sure you are my friend?"
 

 

"If you are not I would have kicked you out for visiting this late at night"
 

 

"I should have gone to Tzuyu's instead"
 

 

"But that wouldn't be a good idea"
 

 

"She'll kick me out" I deadpanned.
 

 

"Definitely" she nodded. We sat in silence. I took another sip and shuddered, "One question" she started, crossing her legs,"Is she still meant nothing to you?"
 

 

Myoui Mina. She was something else. I stared blankly at my hands, "I care for her,"
 

 

"Caring is one thing, Chaeyoung. Knowing how to care is another. You shouldn't hold someone in your heart only to hurt them with your actions," Dahyun put down the beer she was holding, "You know how news stories can be adjusted far from the truth. Whether it be exaggerating or minimizing, the story is never how it truly is. The media makes their own assumptions and finding a way to twist the story in enough directions to be completely blown out of proportion. You know how it works but you blamed Mina instead. Whenever something happened, you always take your anger on her. She has become your punching bag even when she was still your personal assistant and now your wife,"
 

 

I listened silently. I remembered pouring a hot coffee on her blouse mainly because I couldn't tie a deal with the investor. I shouted at her when the paperwork dissatisfied me. I threw a file at her when the team made a mistake. Now, she was my wife. I still did it. Punishing her for someone's wrongdoing or my wrongdoing. Yet, she had never complain. Not even once, "I never hold her down. It was her who chose to stay. She could resign anytime. But she didn't. She sign the marriage contract by her own choice. I never force her,"
 

 

"I don't think she has the choice to begin with," Dahyun replied. That didn't make any sense to me. Every person has their own choices. Dahyun turned to me, "Listen, there are some events in life, that are like splitting a chasm into the earth. It's irreparable. Mistake is normal, Chaeyoung. But when you keep repeating the same mistake, it's not a mistake anymore. It's a decision. And there is decision in this world that can't be changed or reversed. Once made, it's final"
 

 

"For someone with a personality and character like Mina, when they finally decide something for themselves, it's irrevocable. If she has the courage to sign the marriage contract in the first place, then she has the courage to break it," she pointed at my shoulder, "This bad habit of yours, it's either you grow from it, or continue to suffer from it"
 

 

Why was I here in the first place? Why am I wasting my time here? I finished the beer with one gulp and stood up, "I'm leaving,"
 

 

"Chaeyoung," Dahyun called. I swung around and arched my brow, "Will her absence affect you?" she asked. I didn't answer. She sighed, "Don't hold on to it when she's finally started to let go. It'll be too late,"
 

 

She kept going back and forth. I huffed, putting my hands on my hips. This was getting really irritating, "What exactly are you trying to say? You kept telling me things that I couldn't understand. What do I have to figure out?"
 

 

"You love her," she stated, firm and unwavering.
 

 

I froze. No, that was absurd. That was the most ridiculous thing I ever heard. If only I could deny it. But I couldn't, "The contract will come to an end. All executory duties will be discharged on both sides. She will leave eventually. She will no longer be Mrs Son or Assistant Myoui. This relationship we have is uncertain and temporary. And nothing about it is close to what you called love. It's just a contract,"
 

 

A smiled tugged the corner of her lips, "But here you are, trying to fix your relationship with her. Why are you trying so hard to fix a relationship that is temporary and uncertain?"
 

 

"I didn't do it for her, rather for the peace of my mind, for my own sake," I ruffled my hair in frustration. A whole flood of memories nearly drowned me. Love was never a good thing. It was selfish, manipulative and disgusting, "It's meaningless, Dahyun. Love is meaningless. I've seen how fragile it is. I've seen how much of a disaster it could bring. I've seen how it drained the life of a person. You expect me to gamble this stupid feeling into something that's so fragile and potentially only hurt the both of us?"
 

 

"Don't blame the emotion itself. It isn't love but the object of love that's weak. If everyone learn to love properly and care for their lover in the ways that they needed to be cared for, there would be no room for vulnerability. It's human that creates ugliness out of something so beautiful," She rose to her feet, and fixed her glasses
 

 

"Mina is a good woman with a big heart. A talented woman in a lot of ways. Her only and biggest flaw is her inability to realize her worth. She doesn't deserve to be trifled with. You know you have feelings for her, you just don't know what to do with it, whether to hold on to it or to let it go.  Whatever your decision is, don't put her in a difficult situation," she added. I frowned at the tone she was using,"
This is not an advice but a warning. I said I wouldn't get involve with your affair but I can't stay on the side and watch you hurting her. I've told you, Chaeyoung. Do whatever you want to do, but never hurt the innocents"
 

 

I left.
 

 

Nayeon might be right.
 

 

Arriving home, the villa was empty and quiet. The only source of light came from the kitchen ahead of him, so did the tempting aroma. I shuffled to the dining table and saw a white food domes. I lifted it. There was a set of home cooked meals prepared for me. She cooked a lot. Tofu soup, shrimp balls, sweet and sour pork ribs, black rice, and side dishes. I had eaten dinner and I was full. The soup was still hot. She must have heat it an hour ago. Walking to the sink, I washed my hands, sat down and started to eat. Not leaving a single trace. That was beyond delicious. Though, my stomach felt like it would explode any time soon. I cleaned the table and washed the dishes before heading upstairs.
 

 

She must be asleep now. I stopped in front of her door, wanting to check up on her. I rubbed the edge of my brow and sniffed around my shirt. Mina might misunderstand. I took myself straight to shower, the water run hot. I spent some time washing myself thoroughly twice twice and shampooing my hair in an attempt to get rid of the familiar fragrance.  
 

 

After slipping on a black pants and plain shirt, I walked to her bedroom and knocked lightly. There was no answer. I twisted the doorknob. It wasn't locked. I pushed it slightly ajar. A small lamp on a bedside table dimly. There were thunderous sound and frantic pitter patter. There was no rain though. I walked inside and carefully sat on the edge of the bed. The sound of pouring, driving rain came from the phone sat on the table. I smiled and turned to her.
 

 

She was sleeping peacefully. Her long eyelashes casting spidery shadows on her cheekbones and her soft lips were slightly parted. Her black hair was splayed out over the pillow and she breathed deeply and evenly. When she was working under me as my personal assistant, she barely looked at me in the eyes. Her face was hid behind her hair. Hence, I never pay attention and look at her properly. Behind that hair that covered half of her face, was a beauty. I reached out to her cheek but stopped midway.
 

 

"The biggest threat to that woman isn't me but you,"
 

 

I gazed down at my hand. How many times had I hurt her with this hand? It was the same hand that selfishly ripped her clothes. It was the same hand that wrapped around her neck and left a bruise. I dropped my hand and fixed her duvet instead. Her eyelashes fluttered and her eyes slowly opened. She blinked, then focused on me. Busted staring at her while she slept, I cleared my throat.
 

 

"Chaeyoung," she called, pushing herself to sit.
 

 

I smiled apologetically, "Did I wake you up?"
 

 

She shook her head and scooted back up against the headboard, "Where have you been? Your schedule ended few hours ago,"
 

 

Uhh....I rubbed the edge of my brow, "I had an appointment outside with a client then I went to visit Dahyun,"
 

 

"There's no need for you to lie to me, Chaeyoung. It doesn't matter if you sees her. It doesn't break any rules or terms in the contact. You still smells like lavender," Her lips tugged upwards into a soft smile.
 

 

Frowning, I sniffed myself, "But I've showered twice"
 

 

She chuckled, "I'll sleep now," she fixed her position and laid down, turning her back towards me.
 

 

The room became silent. The weight of her voice whispering against my ears was gone. The only sound filling the void was the background sound of rain and thunder coming for her phone. I stared at her figure, wondering if she was upset. I didn't mean to lie. Rubbing my brows, I hesitated, "Nayeon and I, we are not exactly in a relationship. We aren't friends either. I don't harbor any special feelings towards her and I never break your rule. She's just someone who meant a lot to me,"
 

 

"You don't have to explain," she replied, her voice muffled.
 

 

"But I don't want you to misunderstand,"
 

 

She turned around and faced me, "I understand now. Thank you for telling me," she smiled assuringly. She rested her palm on my thigh then tapped it lightly, "You should go to sleep. It's late already,"
 

 

I nodded. That went better then I thought. I was afraid she would ask more and I wasn't sure if I was prepared for that. It wasn't a memory I wished to recall, rather buried. I stood up and strode towards the door, "Goodnight, Mina" I greeted.
 

 

"Goodnight, Chaeyoung," she replied. I smiled, closed the door and went straight to bed. Clutching my hands on top of my chest, I grinned. My heart was contented. I felt somehow relieved. This was safer. I wanted to keep a safe distance between us. It was better for her and for me. Though I wasn't sure how long I could last without crumbling down. Even right now, I was fighting the painstaking urge to barge into her room, slip under her duvet and hold her tight in my arms.
















 

 

*     *    *    *

"Good afternoon, everyone," Secretary Park greeted. It was Jihyo. She had informed us to come in the afternoon for a meeting regarding the successor formality event. We were in a conference room with her sitting across us. Mina was on my left while Jeongyeon and Nayeon on my right. I was listening to Jihyo while texting Nayeon. I already found a decent driver for her and he would start working today.  He was already waiting outside the building. Nayeon saw my message and replied with a sticker. I averted my gaze back to Jihyo who was glaring at me.
 

 

"Finally I'm visible to you, Miss Chaeyoung," Jihyo said sarcastically.
 

 

Mina apologized on my stead and elbowed my arm. I shrugged, "Pay attention," she whispered.
 

 

Jihyo cleared , "All right. The reason you are called today is for a Mini Project. Before Ms Chaeyoung and Ms Jeongyeon begin with the successor formality and given the first assignment, a mini project will be conducted. The winner of this Mini Project will be given extra financial support and personnel that serve as an advantage for the assignment. This Mini Project are assigned by both the Hirai  and the Im Group for each other's representative"
 

 

"Miss Mina and Miss Nayeon respectively have experience and skill in their own field. They will actively participate in the assignment and project, providing assistance and you will be expected to work together as a team. A judge will be assigned to track your progress, observe the quality of your works, and supervise your interaction and leadership qualities"
 

 

Mina seemed taken aback by that statement. Her expression was cute and almost comical. I suppressed a laugh. Jihyo pulled out two black folder and slid one across the table towards me while the other towards Jeongyeon.
 

 

"Miss Son Chaeyoung, enclosed are the details of the mini-project assigned to you by Hirai. Your task is to design a travel program for an eleven-day and ten-night Cruise Japan's Spring Flower trip, to be conducted by Hirai International Cruise Liner. You will have access to a list of available departure ports and maps for your reference. As part of this project, you will assume the role of Cruise Director and be responsible for all aspects of onboard hospitality, entertainment, and social events. Additionally, you will have a team of entertainment staff at your disposal. While Ms. Mina is available to assist you in planning the itinerary, her role will be limited to providing support. The success of this mini-project will be gauged by two key criteria: achieving ticket sales of more than 80% and receiving satisfaction ratings of 4.8 or higher for the travel program."

 

 

"Miss Jeongyeon. This is the details of the mini project assigned to you by the Im Group. Immortal is the top fashion magazine owned by the Im Publishing Media subsidiaries. It's only in China that the brand conceded the top position. Immortal China saw it downsizing since two years ago and lost it positions to The One which is a local magazine company. The task requires you to come up with the spring issues for Immortal China. You will be appointed as Chief Designer and responsible for producing the issues. You are provided with a design team from South Korea's branch that will join the design team from China. While Ms. Im is available for guidance in the making and designing of the clothes, her role is limited to offering assistance. The Mini Project considered successful if the Immortal China's edition shows evident increase in sales up to 70% and become the top fashion magazine for spring edition"

 

 

"There will be dedicated staff members monitoring your progress and assessing the quality of your work. You are given a month"

 

 

A month. I opened the folder and carefully reviewed its contents. The task at hand was meticulously planned, with a defined start date and due date. The Mini Project was set to commence in just a few weeks, and while time was not my primary concern, it loomed large in the background. This particular task didn't demand an extensive amount of time, but rather a strategic approach. Finding a reliable supplier was the key to success, one that could alleviate my concerns about the social events and entertainment on board. The path forward was  riskier.

 

 

The true challenge lay in ensuring the safety of hundreds of passengers during the twelve-night cruise. The unfortunate reality was that accidents could happen, and our responsibility was to minimize those risks. My gaze shifted to Jeongyeon, and I could see the weight of her own task mirrored in her troubled expression. Unlike mine, her mission required a much more extended timeline, demanding at least three months or possibly even more. The story for the issue were meticulously planned, with some slated for publication several months or even a year in advance.

 

 

"Lastly," Jihyo clasped her hands together on the top of the table, "Before winter ends, we will have a trip together to Phoenix Park Resort this Saturday. We will be accompanied by the Hirai and the Im Group entertainment staff and editing team that will help you with the mini project. The objective of the trip is to connect, grow relationships and become a better collaborators in the workplace. It will be a three days and two night trip. You can find more details about the trip inside the folder,"
 

 

"Is it necessary?" A voice spoke. I turned to my right. It was Nayeon. Her eyes empty. How could I forgot? I was too preoccupied with the Mini Project.
 

 

"Pardon me, miss?" Jihyo tilled her head.
 

 

"The trip"
 

 

"My apologies, Miss Im. It's a must for the participant to attend the trip,"
 

 

No, she couldn't go. She mustn't, "Is there an exception?" I interrupted.
 

 

Jihyo shook her head, "I'm sorry, Chaeyoung"
 

 

"I guess we are done here," Pushing back her chair, Nayeon stood up and grabbed her handbag, "Now, if you will excuse me, I have some very important work to attend," she walked out and left.
 

 

Jihyo continued and gave a brief explanation. It lasted an hour before the meeting officially ended. She informed us to set an appointment if we had any questions regarding the project. I walked out of the conference room, limp and  dizzy. It felt as if all of my energy had been and I had no energy to do anything. That was so unlike me. Along the worries about the Mini Project, there was Nayeon too. Why was it necessary to attend the trip? I would make excuses and tell everyone she was sick or there was some sort of emergency. I would think about that later. I needed energy booster. Where was my wife? I looked around. She was gone. She was just a few steps behind me earlier. Where did she go?
 

 

I roamed around the corridor, looking for her. I halted when my ears caught familiar voices just around the corner. I peeked my head and glanced at them. What were they doing? I rubbed my brows. It was Jeongyeon and Mina. I stayed and listened to their conversation. Eavesdropping you may say.
 

 

"Do you want to go to the theme park with me?"
 

 

It was Jeongyeon's voice. I snickered. Theme Park? Mina hated ride. Idiot. I bet you didn't know anything about her. I leaned closer, afraid I couldn't catch Mina's answer. She had a soft voice.
 

 

"Jeongyeon, I don't think that----"
 

 

I smiled.
 

 

"Don't worry, trust me. I have a way,"
 

 

Bull. I stomped away and left the building. I couldn't bear to hear it anymore. It was better to leave than punch her on the face. I sat in the driver's seat of my car and clutched the wheel, fingers were wrapped around tight, nails digging into the rubber. I snickered. That was hilarious Jeongyeon. Someone like you dared to say that. I was stupid to hold on to that word once upon a time. You were unbelievable. The door to the front passenger seat was pushed open. Mina entered the car. I looked away. Calm down, Chaeyoung. Don't let anger control you.  I drew a deep breath and released it, clearing my mind. My grip on the wheels loosened.
 

 

"Chaeyoung, I have to go somewhere tomorrow," Mina said.
 

 

I rubbed the edge of my brow, playing dumb, "Somewhere, where exactly?"
 

 

"You shall respect privacy. I'm not obligated to inform you of my whereabouts, Chaeyoung." Her voice was quiet, but firm and laced with finality.
 

 

I unconsciously pursed my lips. I thought we were in a good terms. She was nice to me yesterday's night. What had gotten into her? It was all because of that unnecessary long legs creature. I started the engine and drove away. I glanced at her. She was messaging someone. Was that Jeongyeon again? She rarely messaged me even. I craned my neck and peeked at her phone screen. I couldn't see it. Dammit.
 

 

Whatever, it was either Lotte World or Everland.

















 

  - to be continued -

_________________________________

✒ JunKudo/RenOgura

Unedited

That task, the mini project required a lot of research. Although it's not perfect but I think it's quite good. Who do you think have a harder task?

Any guess what will happen during the winter trip? Haha