Trust

Ransomed Fiancée

Chaeyoung

 

 

I fluttered my eyes, while slowly opening them, Hyun's worried face caught my sight. She sighed in relief and started loading the syringe. She injected the colorless liquid into the IV tube at my wrist. It pierced my veins and I felt a tingling sensation as the dose coursed through, "You missed this month's Eptinezumab injection." She said with a warning tone, pulling out the needle. That was true, I had been too preoccupied that it completely slipped my mind. I flitted my eyes around the place, I was laying in my bedroom. Thank God, she didn't admit me to the hospital. She was well aware of how much I hated going there. Hated the bleached, antiseptic smells that vaguely masked the odor of vomit and blood and bodily fluids. I remembered it clearly, how I'd spent countless hours inside sparse, sterile rooms with tubes attached to my weak body. It was hell.

 

 

"How are you feeling?" Hyun asked, cutting my ruminating thoughts.
 

 

"Not so good. What happened?" As I talked, I could feel pain all over. My head was bursting. My whole body was writhing in pain. I tried to sit up, only to find myself too weak and dizzy for more than a token attempt. I did however managed to keep my eyes open, half-lidded.
 

 

"Might be Aura. This is rare, usually you experienced typical symptoms such as visual disturbance, dizziness and vertigo. You have never lost consciousness because of it before."
 

 

Aura. It was the result of a wave of nerve activity that spreads over the brain. As this electrical wave spreads, the nerves fire in an abnormal way and this range of reversible neurological symptoms (aura) develop. Around a quarter of people with migraines have aura, including me. It's a hassle, a big hassle. "How long have I been out?" I asked.
 

 

"An hour and a half" She glanced to her wristwatch. "I'm glad your body is accepting the supplement. It's a special brew I made" She said, pertaining to the IV drip stuck in my arms. I'd once suffered an allergic reaction from the fluids. Since then Hyun had been extremely careful.
 

 

She clutched her clipboard and scanned through it, "I've prescribed you with a new set of medicines with additional anti-inflammatory and anti-nausea medication for further relief, you are running out. Take it on time. If you forget and go a whole day without taking a dose, don't try to make it up by adding another dose on the following day. Forget about the missed dose and simply follow your normal schedule. Remember, Emgality shot every three months."
 

 

I gave a subtle nod. She looked at me, putting the clipboard on her lap, "Are they any changes in your symptoms lately?"
 

 

There was. I wasn't sure when it all started but it has definitely gotten worse. I concluded, it was because of the increasing pressure and overwhelming workload, "I have persistent pain, new headaches that I'm not used to. Over-the-counter pain medicines don’t help at all."
 

 

She nodded, "Visit the hospital tomorrow, we'll do a throughout checkup and evaluate your conditions"
 

 

I immediately regretted it. She definitely would have asked that, I should have known better before spurting the truth without thinking. Not the hospital. Just picturing it made me nauseated plus my situation was opposing the idea. There were far better things to do, "I don't have time to waste. The marriage ceremony is around the corner along with the successor formality's project. Just give me painkiller. It's nothing but headache. You diagnosed me with migraines. And migraines happened frequently"
 

 

"I would if only painkillers are good for you. You are aware of the side effects. And that diagnosis is three years ago. I'd told you that the migraine might be a sign of chronic diseases. That you should do a frequent checkup. Never once you ever stop by my office. You better come or I'll break your limbs" She grated in a voice laced with threatening menace.
 

 

I sighed. She could be very persistent sometimes. I closed my eyes, willing myself to relax and ignored her. She clicked her tongue as I put my index finger up to my lips, signaling her to keep quiet. We both knew that I was overly sensitive to lights and sounds when migraines attacked. It intensified the pain. I was relieved that she kept my room dim-lighted. Not completely dark, no blazing lights flooding the room.
 

 

My ears perked up at the sound of soft footsteps in the hall outside her door. She was still here. A gentle knock followed. I kept my eyes shut and heard her soft voice talking to Hyun quietly. She probably thought I'm asleep. A few minutes later, I heard the door closed and knew that she had left the room. Soon, there was a poke on my waist, "Mina leaves a porridge for you. She rings me and tells me about your condition. She sounds distressed. When I'm checking up on you, she stays by your side. She leaves to get you something to eat because she assumes you haven't eaten" Hyun said.
 

 

"I'm surprised" I mumbled. Surprised that she was still here, surprised that she cooked for me, surprised that she hadn't left, surprised that she cared. I didn't know which one was above the other.
 

 

"Talk"
 

 

I heard Hyun's harsh voice, a little commanding, "What?"
 

 

"You at everything except business management so talk. I'll hear it and give you advice on what to do"
 

 

My brows twitched hearing her first sentence but I wouldn't deny that. She might be right but help and assistance was the least thing I needed, "I don't need advice. I'll handle it"
 

 

"Looking at the situation now, you sure handle it well" She spoke in a light tone, laced with obvious mockery. I groaned. She had to stop hanging out with Tzuyu. They had always been by my side or just a phone call away but this two most of the time ganged up on me. I was hesitant because I knew this was partly my fault and knowing Hyun, she would give a long unwanted speech. I fluttered my eyes opened and glanced at her. She crossed her arms, raising one brow as she waited.  It seemed like I had no choice. I carefully say up and leaned against the headboard, deciding to tell her. She had an expressionless face all along as if she saw it coming.
 

 

I clicked my tongue as I finished talking. I did skip some parts, just the main idea of the argument and excuses for my action, which was petty of me. I massaged my temple with stiff fingers, feeling the tension there begin to cease slightly. If only I could massage the turmoil out of my beleaguered mind as simply. Hyun hummed, "So, have you tell Mina? That it's just a misunderstanding"
 

 

"No. I only took my anger out on her and blamed her and I feel awful about it" I sighed. Things would be so much easier if only Mina was like any other woman I hooked up with, easier to control, easier to dominate. She had a sense of dignity. It pissed me off. She had nothing, nothing yet she was brave and shameless. She stood on her ground. This wasn't her when she worked under me but now she had changed. Wait, she didn't change. She just refused to tolerate my behavior. This was her true self. It was amusing but irritating at the same time. I hated how much she affected me. I shouldn't feel bad, I never, but now I wanted to punch myself.
 

 

Hyun shook her head, visible disappointment carved on her face, "Those words should be said in front of her, not in front of me. Apologies should be given to the person they're owed to. Apologizing to anyone else is just a pathetic act of self remorse"
 

 

I squinted my eyes, "You are defending her"
 

 

She shrugged, "I'm standing up for what is right regardless of who is committing the wrong. Even if you are my friend, what you did is wicked, inappropriate, and your understanding of the situation is wholly erroneous"
 

 

Her last words grabbed my attention, "Wholly erroneous?"
 

 

Hyun uncrossed her arms and put the clipboard on the bedside table near the porridge, "Nothing happened between Jeongyeon and Mina last night. Mina called me to look after Jeongyeon because she passed out. I came and did a brief check-up. I noticed a bruise on Jeongyeon's cheeks and when I asked Mina about it, she told me that she hit Jeongyeon. She's a dangerous woman Chaaeyoung. You might want to be careful. You can get your beaten."
 

 

That was unexpected, very. Mina couldn't even hurt a fly, there was no way she dared or even had the courage to do that even if she could, I would never let her beat me in any way. Mina was weak and easy. She had always been. There must be a reasonable reason that could justify her action, "Why did Mina hit her?"
 

 

"She said, Jeongyeon was drunk and acted ‘uncharacteristically’ so she hit her to wake her up. I guess that didn't work because Jeongyeon passed out instead. Mina then asked for a favor, she wanted me to stay because she felt uncomfortable being alone with Jeongyeon, neither of us knows her address. I rang Jeongyeon's fiancee, but she didn't pick up her phone. So, I stayed and left at dawn since I had to perform surgery early in the morning."
 

 

I hummed, mentally cursing myself. Dammit, Chaeyoung. You messed up. I recalled every bull I'd said to her. She must be fuming in anger and felt extremely humiliated even if she didn't show it. I'm an idiot. I should behave, knowing she had the upper hand. If she pulls off the deal, I'm dead. I sighed heavily, trying to find a way out of this. Hyun's hard and judging gaze caught me off guard. She stared at me, through me, as if she examined the deepest parts of my soul. I hated it whenever she did this, observing and reading people. It made you felt exposed, "What?" I snapped.
 

 

"Why are you mad?" She asked, arching one brow, "Why are you so disturbed that Jeongyeon was here with Mina last night? Is it because of your hatred towards your step-sister? Or is it because of the rule?"
 

 

"Both" I guessed.
 

 

"Is that it?" She leaned forward and continued staring at me as if she was trying to squeeze the kind of answer she was expecting me to say.
 

 

She could be so nosy, "Yes" I groaned, making sure there was a finality in my voice to conclude the topic. I had an idea what was she attempted to deliver but she was wrong.
 

 

"Very well." She clasped her hand and leaned back to her seat, "Chaeyoung, you should know better that trust is the foundation of any relationship. Business and romantic relationships rely on the same basis. If you don't trust your co-workers, you are bound to meet failure. If you don't trust your partner, you'll end up fighting. That fight threatens the whole relationship either business or romantic.  Your plan will not sail smoothly if both of you are being doubtful to each other. You have to control that temperament and aggression."
 

 

"That woman, she's a good person Chaeyoung. You should be more considerate of her feelings. You can't boss her around as you did before. She's your fiancee now, your partner, not your worker. You are in this together with her. You drag her to this. She deserves to be treated with respect"
 

 

I kept quiet, bored by her monotone lecture. Hyun had a way of talking and it sometimes annoyed me because I had nothing to reply to her smartass statement. The truth in her words, bothered me. She stood up and hung her coat over one arm. I watched her tidying up her equipment and placed it inside her small suitcase, "Are you leaving now?" I asked.
 

 

She nodded and dug out candy from her pocket, she put it in my palm, "Listen to my advice, don't mess it up and here, sweet. You'll feel better"
 

 

"I'm not a chi----" I rebuked but she completely ignored me and walked away, waving her hand as she disappeared. I looked at the candy, "At least give me more, cheapskate" I opened the polka dot wrapping and eat it. It did make me feel better. I was too weary even for thought. A  chilling silence now fell broken by the occasional chirping sounds of birds. When I laid my head upon the pillow, my heavy eyelids soon closed in sleep.


 

"Grandfather! Please" The kid struggled as he grabbed her wrist. He dragged her down two flights of stairs as she desperately tried to get loose. At the end of a long hallway, he flung open a heavy-paneled door with his free hand. She knew that room. She clung to his legs, begging. He kicked her stomach and threw her inside. She landed in heap at the darkened room and saw her step-sister secretly watching at her outside the hall. Nothing. She did nothing. She screamed as he slammed the door shut. She heard the metallic sound of a key turning then heavy step ascending the stairs.
 

 

Silence. She peered around the place, hoping that the beast was asleep. The clinging sound of heavy metal gripped her gut along with the rumbling of a low-throated growl. He was awake. She flung herself away and crouched in the corner, immediately shielded her face as he lunged at her. The metal leash around his neck tied to the wall across her, preventing the animal to eat her alive. It was dark. She couldn't predict where he was but as the moonlight shone through the small window, she could see him clearly. His head centimeters away from her face, barked with his baring teeth. His saliva dripping.
 

 

"Please," she whimpered. Her face was red and stained with tears. Her body shook with fear. She snapped her head to the side when she heard another foreign bark,  something that she never heard before. His grandfather adopted two more. Her crying intensified. All at once, the dog burst forward. Its jaw grabbed her right forearm, teeth digging into flesh. She yelled in pain, jerking away.

 

 

I gasped, shot my eyes opened and sprang up. Something wet and cold fell off my forehead and into my lap. A cold compress.  I bowed my head and covered my face, feeling my chest rose and fell with each shuddering breath. Sweat streamed down the sides of my face dampened my shirt. I heaved a deep breath and glanced at my right forearm. I tugged my sleeve up and stared at the scars. Upon hearing footsteps approaching the door, I immediately pulled down my sleeve. The door opened. Mina entered the room carrying a basin and a towel. She looked at me, a little taken aback, "You're awake. You didn't eat the porridge so I brought it back. If you want I can heat it."
 

 

I looked up at her, her clear-eyed gaze was like a silver lining in storm clouds, calmed and composed. She sat beside me and took the forgotten compress on my lap. She leaned closer and wiped the beads of sweat on my face. She was so close, I could feel her warm breath against the back of my neck. For some reason, I tensed up and held my breath. She withdrew when she was done. I rubbed my brow, trying to start a conversation, "Hey, I know, I messed up..."
 

 

She hummed, looking down as she folded the towel, "Everything"
 

 

"And I know you are mad----"
 

 

"Disappointed" She cut me off.
 

 

"But, give me another chance----"
 

 

"No"
 

 

"For the love of God----"
 

 

"No"
 

 

"Dammit Myoui"
 

 

"No"
 

 

"Would you just let me----"
 

 

"No"
 

 

"If I could just---"
 

 

"No"
 

 

"I promise---"
 

 

"No"
 

 

"Would you let me finish?" I growled.
 

 

She lifted her eyes and I held her gaze. We stared at each other while silence stretched between us. Her face was unreadable. She broke the eye contact and shook her head, "Dahyun told me about your condition. It wasn't written on your list"
 

 

"It's just headache" I stated. She made it sounded as if I'm dying. She pressed the back of her palm against my forehead, perhaps checking up on my temperature. I touched my temple, "It's just the heat, momentarily side effects" She brushed my hand aside to gently massage my temple with her fingertips. Again she acted beyond my expectations. I'd imagined different scenarios but this was the last thing I'd thought she would do. I didn't know what kind of emotion I'm feeling right now but I didn't like it even one bit.
 

 

I caught her wrist and brought her finger to my neck where the ‘hickey’ was, "It's not a hickey, I injured myself. I'm sorry for what happened, everything I had said. I want you to know that I didn't break the only rule that you have set. I didn't violate the contract. You have to trust me" I wanted her to know, to not misunderstood anything. I didn't have to tell her about the bruise on my neck was because of Nayeon's grip. As long as she knew it was not what she thinks it was.
 

 

Mina pulled her hand away, "Trusting someone is a high-risk investment and you are not trustworthy." She stood up and walked away before I could say a word. She there back what I'd said to her. She paused midway and turned around. Her lips pressed tight, it was trembling. Her gaze hardened. She was suppressing her feelings.
 

 

I nodded, giving her the sign. "I feel better now, Mina, you can shout at me. Get mad or throw anything." I knew that she was just a heart-beat away from bursting.
 

 

She unclenched her jaw and drew in a long, slow breath, "You are not trustworthy, this is just an investment, I badly wanted to say that but then I'd be lying to myself. I'll trust you, because to me, this relationship we shared is not just an investment. From the beginning, I have never seen you as a tool to gain money. You are a person that helps me with my financial issues. So, I'm thankful and always try my best to help you as much as I can, as a token of gratitude. We are helping each other Chaeyoung, not using each other"
 

 

"Since you are very attentive about this business relationship, you should have known. Even if I violate the contract by sleeping with someone, I'm not in the slightest affected but you.....without me, all of your efforts turn into dust. If I terminate the agreement and quit, I have to pay for it, of course. Upon termination, you are entitled to receive as its full and sole compensation in discharge of my obligations. Any damages, costs, liabilities or expenses suffered by your party, resulting from the termination have to be compensated. In the contract however, you have stated a fixed amount of compensation in case it happened, 360 million won. Your party gives me the concession of five years period to pay for it."
 

 

"I have to pay 360 million KRW in five years, while you lose a multi-billion dollar company. Not only The Hirai but even the Son Group will turn their back against you. In comparison, you suffered a much bigger loss than me. The person who desperately needs help here, isn't me, but you"
 

 

She spoke with such authority, such certainty, such passion, and such complexity that I was captured, left with no words. I gave away completely taken by her arguments. She bit her lower lip and continued, "I know my worth, Miss Son. This shameless lower class knows her worth." Her voice cracked and tears swam in her eyes. I found myself unable to look into her eyes any longer, so I gazed out the window, "Do you know what kind of situation you just put yourself into now?"
 

 

I caught her stepping closer from the corner of my eyes. I turned to her and saw her clenched fist. Hyun's warning flashed through my mind. I gulped when she raised her hand, "Oh, it's that kind of situation huh?" I chuckled nervously before a punch met my face. Lord. She was strong. I flew backward and fell on the bed. I was about to sit and defend myself when another smack hit my face, she straddled me, sitting on my lap and kept smacking my face with a pillow.
 

 

"Why! Are! You! So! Rude! So Annoying! Jerk! Idiot!" She spat each word followed by each smack on my face. "All of this time, I always held myself from hitting you. You are dead today" She threw the pillow and grabbed my hair, pulling and twisting. God my head.
 

 

I tapped her hand, surrendering, "Mina..I---look I'm sorry. Calm do--Ouch, that--that's quite painful---" She suddenly cupped my face, drew me closer to her. I blinked confusedly. She narrowed her eyes then bit my cheeks. Oh my lord, "Minaaaaa" I called out, yelling in pain. She let me go and panted while I immediately raised my hand in defense mood. She clawed my stomach and pinched it with her coconut-crab pinch. I cried in pain, "Mina, Mina, Mina, that's hurt, that really hurts"
 

 

She stopped and looked at me with that penguin's dull sickening face. I chuckled now understanding the meaning of that expression. She was worried. Her brows ceased once she heard me chuckling. I didn't know what was going on inside my mind that I found this situation was hilarious. Her flushed face, her gritted teeth. She was adorable. Angry bird, angry penguin. I leaned closer and pecked the tip of her nose, laughing cheekily. I was about to kiss her lips when she squeezed mine with her hand and draped a pillow over my face. I gasped, "Mi--Mina honey, I can't breathe. Mina, baby, Mina!! I can't breath!----"

 











 

*     *     *     *

Mina

 

 

I watched her rubbing a hard-boiled egg across her bruised cheeks and on her forehead that seemed to grow larger every moment. Hitting her felt relieving but it didn't feel good at the same time. Honestly, if I am really being honest, I was surprised at myself too. I just pulled Miss Son's hair, my tyrant boss for two years that had me trembled in fear back then. I just hit her with a pillow over and over again. I just did that. Somehow, I'm proud of myself. I wanted to pat my shoulder. I felt like my suffering as her personal assistant was now paid. Though what I did was very immature and embarrassing and rash and impulsive.
 

 

I scanned her. Feathers were stuck on her hair and her face. The pillow I had used to hit her earlier split open, causing a whirlwind of downy white feathers, filling the room. I went to her and was about to take the feather stuck on her forehead, when she flinched in reflex. I chuckled while she sent me a glare. I plopped down beside her. She distanced herself and looked away, clearly sulking, "I'm sorry, I blindly accused you when there's no confirmation. I should have asks" I said softly, trying to reconcile. She didn't move a muscle, her head turned in the opposite direction. I hummed, "Are you hungry? Is there anything you want to eat? We still have the porridge if you want"
 

 

She finally spared me a glance and rubbed her brows, "Ramyeon"
 

 

I smiled. It felt just like yesterday when she rambled about how unhealthy it was. We rose to our feet. She staggered slightly, as if recoiling from a blow, and I caught her arm, steadied her, "Are you okay?"
 

 

"A Japanese woman just attacked me." She deadpanned. She wrapped one arm around my waist and pulled me closer to her. My whole body was now flush against hers. Both my palms rested on her shoulder, "You become so bold lately, Mina. It's annoying, and I hate it but this is fun. Perhaps, the time we will spend together is going to be more and more interesting"
 

 

I poked her stomach and she instantly let me go. I learned that she was easily ticklish. I helped her to sit at the dining table and settled across her, smirking, "Does that mean I can hit you whenever I want to?"
 

 

"That's abuse and I condemn violence"
 

 

"And that's coming from you?" I challenged.
 

 

If she was being her usual self, she would reply to me with a sharp answer but there was none today. She laid her head on the table, "You should be nice to a sick person." she mumbled. A small smile tugged my lips. She was soft, maybe because she wasn't feeling well.
 

 

I reached out and caressed her hair, "Wait for a moment, it'll be done in a second" I heard her low hums and rose from my seat, scrambling over to the kitchen and cooked for her.
 

 

When I returned with a bowl of instant noodles and side dishes. She lifted her head, glaring at me, "You takes ten minutes, not a second"
 

 

"Stop being grumpy and eat now. I'll treat your wound after this" I said, noticing the red marks on her cheeks and I bet there were more on her stomach. I literally clawed her skin.
 

 

"Thanks to you" She rolled her eyes. She picked up her spoon and scooped the rice. I placed an egg roll on top. She narrowed her eyes on me, "Suspicious. Did you put poison inside?" She doubted, questioning my action while I chuckled at her. We ate in silence but it was a warm and companionable quiet. The setting sun slowly sank below the horizon, and the night sky became increasingly dark. Finally, even the last trace of daylight disappeared. I looked over her and was glad that she finished her meals. She put down her chopstick and that was when I realized. Her finger. It was empty.
 

 

"Chaeyoung, where's your ring?"
 

 

She cluelessly raised her hand, "Right here---" Her voice stuck when she noticed it was not there. She roamed her eyes around, "Where it goes? I think I left it in my bedroom" And that was when it all started. I followed her as she searched for it all over the house; Living room? Nope. Bathroom? Nope. Dance studio? Nope. Hallway? Nope. Arcade room? Nope. Theatre room? Nope and the searching list went on and on.
 

 

We were back at the dining area with unsatisfied Chaeyoung, flopped down on the chair. Her eyebrow furrowed as she recalled where she saw it but failed miserably. I grabbed her hand and pulled out the marker pen I took from the library earlier. I drew a diamond and a ring on her finger, "This will work as a temporary. Now, you said and I quote; if you lose the ring, you have to dance baby shark. Ah, I almost forget the part where we should record it and upload it to the media"
 

 

She pulled away and avoided my gaze, "I don't remember saying that"
 

 

"I remember clearly" It was still fresh in my memory. She kept pretending and vigorously shook her head, but I had something to use against her, "Next week is the wedding ceremony. Would you like to marry yourself and live as a proud sologamist? I think that suits you"
 

 

She groaned, "You really won't let this go, aren't you?"
 

 

I nodded, "Yes. Baby shark Chaeyoung is entertaining. Come on, don't go against your own words"
 

 

"Fine, but no recording" She warned. I agreed because there was no need to record it when I could remind her every single day. I didn't think she ever feels embarrassed and shy in her whole life. This would be a great experience. We went to the living room. I slumped on the couch. She cleared and stood awkwardly across me, rubbing her brows.
 

 

I clicked the remote button and the song came blasting through the speaker. She glanced at me while I had the cushion pillow over my mouth. She started feeling the song and tapped her feet. I suppressed my laughter as she swung her hips, clapping, stomping with the movements of a cowgirl. Chaeyoung, Chaeyoung. This was a kid's song, not a ritual song. I concluded that she didn't even know the choreography. She just went along with it. I raised two thumbs up, encouraging her and never had I expected that I would boost her confidence. Her face brightened and she continued dancing passionately like a worm in a hot tub. I clutched my stomach, wheezing. Could a person burst from laughing too much? I wiped the tears that were welling up in my eyes. She looked like that dancing air balloon man.
 

 

It was fun indeed but immediately I regretted it. Next week, on Monday morning, where I was usually awakened by the ruffling sounds of leaves replaced by nonstop blaring music. I pressed my eyes shut, wiggling on my bed while covering my ears with the pillow.
 

 

Baby shark Doo Doo Doo Doo
Baby shark.
 

 

It suddenly stopped. I bolted upright and sat with her ears alert and mind already thrashing her. It stopped. I sighed and laid down, pulling the blankets high over my shoulder, tried to fall asleep. I was about to drift off into oblivion when the ear-splitting EDM shook the house. I cried out, gripping my hair in frustration. It was the remix version! I cupped my ear, rolling over, "Stop, just please stop. I had enough, please enough of baby shark." I jumped off my bed and stomped my feet towards the living room just to witness her dancing to the right choreography as she followed the boy on the television screen.
 

 

"Oh, Mina. This is very entertaining" She greeted with a wide grin. I'm sure it was, She had been playing the same song over and over again for a whole week. I didn't know if she was taking revenge on me or if she really found it entertaining because every morning, every night, she'd dance to the song with Ray next to her.
 

 

She gets addicted to it.













 

  - to be continued-

_________________________________

✒ JunKudo/ RenOgura

Unedited. Another filter but this chapter is quite nice. We personally think it's quite important. Hope you all enjoy reading it.