Checkmate

Ransomed Fiancée

Nayeon
 

 

I shifted in my seat and glanced around the place. It was a small dimly lit restaurant. Ten white tables spread our from where we sat in the center. The only other people in the room was a woman and teenagers sitting on the far corner, peeling a basket of garlic quietly. Everything was old and unhygienic, looking at the layers of grease from the grill. It was all concrete and bricks, dirty, smelly, with three trash dumpsters lined up outside the restaurant.
 

 

I diverted my gaze back to the man across me. He was unshaven, wore a rumpled white shirt, and his hair was disheveled. He didn't look like he had more than five dollars in his pocket. I stared at the way his collar were creased and bent over on the tips. When he noticed I was looking, he immediately straightened his clothes, "I'm sorry" He smiled and bowed.
 

 

I sighed, shaking my head, "Don't worry about it"
 

 

"But I made you come to such a humble place. I did tell Jeong to bring you with her and eat here sometime. I didn't expect you to visit so soon. I didn't prepare anything. If you can some other time, I will treat you properly"
 

 

It wasn't my intention to waste time here for a chit chat nor to bond with her family. However, I was held responsible for her action because of our relationship's status.  She was indeed adding more to my works. I sighed inwardly, "It's okay. I understand you heard everything from Jeongyeon?"
 

 

"Yes, I didn't have much to say. I'd rather go to jail than to cause you trouble"
 

 

Those who had committed a crime should be arrested. That was just right and he should be charged for what he had done. That was just fair. Nothing can rationalized his action. He did wrong and he was reckless to be fooled and involved in this whole mess. That was what I thought. Yet here I was, doing exactly the opposite. At some point, I was doubting if this was right. Either way, it didn't really matter to me nor was it important. I'd come this far, they were no turning back anymore. This matter should just be buried and forgotten, "Right. I should have let you locked behind bars. I'll take care of this matter but things like this should never happen again"
 

 

"Of course, thank you, thank you" He repeatedly whispered his thanks with his head bowed down.
 

 

"There's no need to thank me. I just did what I had to" Indeed for the best of all. I recalled the penalty from disciplinary board had given him, "You will be suspended for three months and have your salary reduced a year"
 

 

He nodded, smiling, "That's good enough for me. Thank you so much"
 

 

Your gratitude wouldn't make anything better neither apology. Changes, I needed changes and wished that he had learned his lesson. If he keeps creating problem and mistakes, it would only worsen the internal conflict inside the Son Group and I was also going to be dragged into this mess, again. I was already trapped and didn't have any other choice but to get involved in their family affair. Which was the worst. Maybe this man wasn't that hopeless, "Promise me one thing"
 

 

He rubbed the back of his neck and gave me an understanding look, "Yes, I know. You don't want Jeong to get involved with me right? Of course, I understand. I will never cause Jeong any trouble from this moment on"
 

 

That was a relief for now, thought I wasn't sure if his words were trustable, "All right. If something happens, don't call Jeongyeon but call me from now on"
 

 

He vigorously shook his head. His hands raised with eyes staring down humbly on his jeans, "But how could I-----I'm not that shameless"
 

 

Apparently that good niece of yours weren't that bold and ready to go against the Chairman. She might had her reason why she held back and I doubted she even had any plans. It was much more easier if I knew it before anything, "Don't worry about that. Protecting Jeo----" I halted, that wasn't really the right phrasing, "The Son Group and Im Group's reputation is a priority to me"
 

 

He subtly nodded his head. I opened my purse and pulled out a name card. Paused when a commotion from behind caught my attention. I spun around. It was the woman and teenagers on that far corner. The teenagers were bickering and hitting each other. It was a girl and a boy. What were they doing? They were old enough for that stupid fight. The woman rose and shouted, "Be quiet! Cut it out and grow up. If you are going to do nothing and mooch of your mom, you should at least peal garlic properly. Hurry up!" She huffed and stomped away.
 

 

I turned to the man in front who chuckled awkwardly and flashed an embarrassed, apologetic look, "Who are they?" I asked, pertaining to the woman and teenagers just now. It couldn't be a customer looking at how they interacted.
 

 

He looked over them. The girl stood up and walked up the stairs while murmuring curses under her breath. He rubbed his nape and humbly pointed at them, "They are my niece and nephew. They are my brother's son and daughter and that's my sister in law. The older one is looking for a job but he didn't get employed yet. If things didn't turn out this way. I was going to provide him a position at Son Group. And the younger one is preparing to become a make-up artist and want to works in the entertainment industry but, it's not easy to enter the entertainment industry these days. However, they are trying their best. Things will work out if they keep working hard"
 

 

Nepotism at its finest. I mentally rolled my eyes without changing the polite expression I'd fixed, "I see"
 

 

"Anyway" He turned back to me and bowed repeatedly, smiling, "Thank you for coming all the way here and again, I'm sorry Miss Im for the trouble"
 

 

That hypocrisy, was nauseating.
 

 

Smiling, apologizing. It must be easy. You only had to be naive, stupid, kind and everyone would pitied you, protected you. You knew you were using your niece, you knew what you had done, you knew what your niece had to go through because of you, yet here you were flashing a smile as if nothing happened. You didn't know, you were a victim yourself. Excuses. If you weren't a fool, you wouldn't do this to yourself, to your family. You kept repeating the same mistakes, using your ignorance to rationalize it. Jeongyeon had to bear the consequences whenever it happened. The question was, until when do you think she was able to cover it all?
 

 

Yoo Jeongyeon. Goodwill doesn't always reap good fruit. In fact, it often brings bad result.
 

 

"Instead of me, you should be sorry to Jeongyeon. She can't move forward if she has to carry a heavy baggage. She can't do anything on her own will. As long as you are here, relying on her, she can't never escape Chairman Son's grip" I gentled my voice out of respect but was determined to lay it on the line for him to understand. His smile slowly disappeared. This type of people needed to be called out straight to their face. If not, they wouldn't and couldn't move forward on their own.
 

 

I dug into my purse, drew out a business card and slid it across the table, "That's why, I have a new proposal to make. You will be treated in a way that reflect your abilities in this company. It will helps and guide you. There will be no nepotism. You will start from the beginning. If you are determined, I'm sure you can make it"
 

 

His expression changed into something between concern and anxious. He looked at me with wide eyed, "Are you telling me to leave the Son Group?"
 

 

"Yes, it's for the benefits of your family. It's not an order from Charmain Son. It's my suggestion that I hope you will agree"
 

 

"Why? Why all of a sudden? I didn't do anything wrong except that incident"
 

 

"It's hard for you to work without Jeongyeong and Chairman Son's help?"
 

 

"No...but still my nephew and niece haven't got their jobs and my kids is still young"
 

 

If you cared that much for your family, you wouldn't do this to Jeongyeon. She was your niece, wasn't she? Or was she your personal wallet? Your personal bank account? How irritating. Using others for your own advantages. Nothing was more disgusting than that. I loathed this kind of human the most. It made my skin crawled. No, this wasn't the time. You shouldn't let this bothered you. You shouldn't. I must keep my composure as it was.
 

 

Sighing, I bent my head for a moment then lifted my gaze back to him, "That's why I'm introducing you to this company. You will get better treatment there. I believe you can do this. You have to do this. You can't count on Jeongyeon and Chairman Son for the rest of your life"
 

 

He avoided my eyes and lowered his head, hesitancy in his voice as he spoke,"I'm aware of that, but it's..... "
 

 

"Until when are you going to rely on Chairman's Son? You and your family are the one holding Jeongyeon back. You are her weakness and the Chairman knows it. He uses that weakness to put Jeongyeon under his control.....let your niece go"
 

 

You knew it. You already knew. All of you. But you turned a blind eye. You refused to accept that you had manipulated her. You blamed it on your niece instead, manipulating her, that you didn't force her, but at the same time trapped her, reminding her that you were her family and she should be devoted to you. At the end, it was her choice, wasn't it? It was her will to protect you. You did nothing wrong. You shouldn't feel guilty. She just did what a family member would. That must be what you wanted to believe.
 

 

But you were wrong, "Mr Yoo Il Jook. You accomplish nothing on your own. You are a failure. You are parasite living off of your niece. You are nothing but a bag of trash on the sidewalk. A burden."
 

 

"Pa-pardon?'
 

 

"I'm giving you an opportunity to change the way you live. Your child, they won't be proud knowing you as who you are right now. You are a father, aren't you? Be a responsible, and righteous man. At least for your children."
 

 

His fingers fiddled on the table. I could tell my words affected him. It was harsh, but it was needed. I said what I had to. For a moment he said nothing, and then, shakily replied, "Thank you for the offer but I have to think more about it"
 

 

That was enough for now. I wasted too much time dealing with this matter. I stood up, slipped the strap of my handbag over my shoulder, "I'll be waiting" He sprung from his seat and bowed which the gesture was reciprocated.
 

 

I made my way towards the exit when the girl I saw before, stood beside the door. She was the elder brother's daughter. I gave her a side glance and proceeded to walk out when I heard that obvious fake cough she made. I swung around, looked her over from head to toe as I examined her clothing, "Do you want to tell me something?"
 

 

She shrugged, "What? Well no"
 

 

"Are you going somewhere?"
 

 

"Yes I'm going to meet a friend and go out for some air"
 

 

I scoffed, "Why? Are you expecting me to give you some money?"
 

 

She snapped her head towards, "What?"
 

 

"Jeongyeon is soft-hearted, so she might've given you some money but I'm not like her. I hate it when those who don't work are full. I hate poor people that doesn't put any effort to change their social status and instead, other people's blood. I hate those who used their social background as an excuse for their miserable life."
 

 

"Yah!" She stepped forward, lifting her chin and stared at me with a scowl, "I didn't ask for your money. Mind your damn words, auntie"


 

'Auntie? This piece of .'

 

 

"Seo-Jin, what are you doing?" Yoo Il Jook interrupted, scolding the girl as he shot me an apologetic look.
 

 

I ignored the way she addressed me. This snotty brat, "Didn't you say, you wanted to become a makeup artist?"
 

 

She frowned, "Yes why?"
 

 

Looking at her squarely in the eye, I asked, '"Are you sure that's what you want to do? Isn't it that you want to do it because it sounds cool and you don't have to study?"
 

 

"Excuse me!"
 

 

"Even now, top makeup artist are working hard to learn more. Even while you go out for air with friends" I rose my eyebrows and leaned forward, thwarting her, challenging her, "Yoo Seo Jin, do you think you have talent?"
 

 

"What? What do you know about me? Have you lost your mind?! Hey, now that you give us some money, do you think we're beggars?"
 

 

Hummed. She didn't answer a single question. She felt insulted and judged. She was furious that I had belittled her dream.  I smiled in amusement. There was no hesitancy. No room to doubt herself. But spirit enough wouldn't help you. There might be a chance for you too, you little witch.
 

 

Again, I opened my handbag and pulled out a bedazzled business card case. I snapped it open, flipped through it and took out two different card; one was white with gold letters raised on its face, while the other was purple in colour. I put them on the table near us and tapped at the second card, "It's a makeup academy that someone I know owns"
 

 

I turned to the girl who looked up at me, confusion written all over her face, "Sign up for it and get some professional training. I'll talk to them. If you go there, they will train you properly and watch you closely so you can't do anything else. Professional is nothing special. It means you are good enough to make people want to pay. Take this opportunity to become a professional woman instead of lamenting your misfortune in your mom's restaurant. Your expenses will be covered up. I'm not giving you money, I'm lending it. Make sure to pay me back. I works in this industry, I'll be watching you."
 

 

I gestured towards the first white and gold card and diverted my attention to Yoo Il Jook, "And this, he was a restaurateur. He will help renovate and restore your failing restaurant. The menu, you should come with your own original ideas. There's a college nearby, it's a good advantage. Student like bold flavours, might put that into consideration. The older nephew should take care of this. I will help as much as I can. If you succeed, it will be enough to support your family financially without needing anyone's help"
 

 

I went overboard. This wasn't necessary nor was it on my plan. I intended to find a better job for Yoo Il Jook, that was it. Didn't expect, it would turn like this. I made extra work for myself. This will be a headache. Whatever, "Then, I wish you good luck" I gave him subtle nod and left. The girl was still gawking at me when I walked out the place while Yoo Il Jook sent me outside and  bowed deeply. I did the same and drove off.
 

 

A moment later, I pulled into the parking lot of a small, happy-looking cafe. The bright yellow building had a sign out from depicting smiling people standing next to a pile of coffee grounds holding letters that spelled out ‘Grounds Of Hope’ This cafe support local charities and the coffee was fabulous. It was also located in the center of Seoul though it was hidden. I considered myself lucky to found this place. I opened my car door and got out, reaching into the back seat out for a small bag. Inside the bag, I kept a scrapbook of magazine clippings that decipted different design in clothing, jewellery and hair and a sketchbook filled with my own designs. After collecting my drink, I retreated to a table in the back, near the glass window.
 

 

I opened my sketch book to the latest page and held a pencil. With the other hand, I propped my chin, staring outside the window. I examined each and every person that walked passed the cafe. My eyes darting from one to another as I drink my iced hazelnut latte. I had to be aware of the fashion market requirements and enlightened about the new trends that were currently rising. It was my job. I had to laugh a new line of clothing for the next season. I'd spent a great amount of time observing and designing. Though none of it, in particular impressed me.
 

 

I glanced at my wrist-watch and saw it was half-past five. I had not eaten anything since morning. What a busy day. I should make a stop at Haebaragi Headquarters before going home. Was it really okay to entrust Team A with the construction project of Haebaragi fifth department store? It would be fine. I believed in their ability. I hoped they wouldn't fail me. I shook it off, tidying my stuff. The ringing of my phone made me pause. I looked over it. My secretary. There was no reason for her to call me around this time, unless, it was an emergency. Sighing, I accepted the call.
 

 

"Miss Im, we are facing some issues with the KICDC. One of the contestan----"


 

Her voice trailed into a muted buzz as my eyes fixed at the billboard across the cafe. It was a news, "Korea International Contemporary Dance Competition (KICDC) which had its premiere yesterday were forced to stop. The rising ballet star, Park Rachel were injured during her performance after the glass chandelier unexpectedly fell down in splinters. She was immediately rushed to the hospital.  Fortunately, she sustained only some minor injuries as a result of the accidents. The competition will resume next week"
 

 

Hilarious. A grin tugged at the corner of my lips as I chuckled in disbelief, ending the call. This was your plan? I stared at the portrait of our 'rising star' on the screen. Park Rachel.
 

 

I was anticipating it. How and what excuses would you use this time? It was a chandelier? I never thought you were brave enough to pull off such act, even sacrificing yourself. Though, I'm not surprised.

 

 

You were a after all.


 

If that famous rising star was here, it must meant that, that woman was here too. I squeezed my eyes tight. In spite of this unnecessary drama and trouble she caused, I didn't lose my appetite. I'm hungry. I really needed to eat, to fill this emptiness, this void. I resolved not to think about anything, especially her, them until I had been to the dining-car. At least I would be better able to bear the pain of it all, and think clearly after I had eaten. I wanded my way to the diner. But somehow thoughts would come and after I had made selection from the menu and sat back, I found that just across the aisle from me, sat a mother and two daughters, and their whole atmosphere of happy comradeship brought back the sickening memory of my hopeless, unhapy state.
 

 

I glanced out of the window to turn aside this irritating, self-pity thoughts. It made me feel weak. I hated it. I tried to interest myself in the wonderful landscape, but somehow the whole face of nature seemed desolate. Then a light little laugh from one of the girls across the aisle followed by the loving protest, "Oh, mother, dear!" pierced like a knife. They sounded so happy. I envied them. Tight. Heavy. I clutched my blouse. The back of my throat stung. My chest. It hurted. I could feel the sweat break out on my forehead and between my shoulder blades. My hands began to tremble. I gasped. The errant thoughts rushed in and almost too overwhelming.
 

 

'Why did you feel so unloving towards me? Why couldn't we be like that?'


 

Weak.

 

 

Stripping off my clothes, I sank into the bathtub filled with warm heat. Even with this intense heat, it was still cold. I felt so cold, that it froze me. I tried to light a cigarette but my hand shook too much to hold the lighter still. I let the cigarette fell from my mouth and flung the lighter across the bathroom. Useless. I caught a glimpse of my haggard appearance. I stared deeply into the reflection in the water. It was my face in the surface, my face shrouded by the dark. Lightly, I ran my fingers over the water's surface and watched the ripples disturb and distort my reflection.
 

 

It had been years. What exactly were you expecting? What exactly were you waiting?  You would only dissapoint yourself. Raising out of the water, I grabbed a bottle of red wine and a glass, filled it to the rim, and gulped it down in one go. A single tear slid down my cheek. Wait, was it a tear or a drop of water? I chuckled softly. Whatever it was, it never matter. I refilled the glass but halted midway. I'd drowned a pack of can beers. Yet, I'm still fully awake in this feeling of emptiness. Numbed. I felt numb.


 

Clang!

 

 

I smashed it. The wine glass against the edge of the bathtub; pieces of glass lay on the floor. I picked up a piece and held it in my right hand. The red liquid trailed down my fingers. I stared at it for a moment. I raised my hand and stabbed the pointed glass on my left arm, grunting as I dragged it up, drawing a long straight line. Again and again and again. Did I cut enough? I threw the glass away and breathed out. The blood ecased my hand in soothing warmth. Finally. Warmth. I sighed and leaned back, dropping my arms inside the bathtub. The red liquid spilled into the clear water and slowly turned into pink. Dark red streaks slid along the side of the tub.
 

 

Within minutes, my body went limb. The light that illuminated the bathroom vanished---deep blackness was everywhere. Perhaps I had closed my eyes, just for a bit. It was startling, but I felt warm. It made me unwilling to open my eyes. I wanted to remain like this. This heat. This feeling. This warmth. I felt my body slipped and soon blinded by thick ink. I was breathless. Yet, it wasn't in the slightest bother me.














 

Jeongyeon


 

Was she home? I rang the bell again and waited. There was still no answer. I pressed the bell again and again. Her secretary informed me that she already left her office. She must be home. She didn't even answer her phone. Was she dead or something? I hit my head. That was rude of. This was all because of the sudden news uncle told me. She acted recklessly. And why? Why would she do that? I groaned and knocked on the door. I needed an answer. If this was a trap she set up to gain control and power over me, she was really despicable.
 

 

I banged at the door harder. The door jerked open, and I was unexpectedly coming face to face with her eyes staring sharply at me. The sudden movements took me by surprise. It ed me backwards three or four steps until I lost balance and fell on my . She looked down at me. I gasped. What was with that expression? She seemed really mad, her lips pursed together, her eyes squinty, her brows furrowed. I immediately stumbled to my feet upon realizing how dumb I must have looked in her eyes. 
 

 

"What do you want?" She asked, straight forward. Her voice hoarse. Was she sick? I briefly scanned her. She was all wrapped up in a thick cotton bathrobe, her hair hanging down loose, still wet. She appeared tired and worn out but still held a wise strength. She leaned against the door frame causing the tie on her robe went loose. The neckline showed her cleavage and the front opened to reveal her inner thigh all the way up to where the robe hung low. I blinked and looked away, that was impolite.
 

 

I heard her clicked her tongue, she was annoyed, "If you don't need anything, ert. Leave and stop knocking. I'll kill you" She warned and shot me a glare that instantly had me shifted my gaze. It was terrifying. She scoffed and reached for the doorknob to close the door. Wait. I still had something to talk about. I caught her wrist and she hissed in response. Wait, she was wearing a black glove all this time? I didn't notice. Before that, why did she hissed? Did I grasp her hand too tight? No I did not. I frowned at her weird action. She looked up at me and our gaze locked. Her eyes were shaking.
 

 

"Don't touch me!" She shouted and yanked my hand off.
 

 

What was her problem? Was she that disgusted because someone as lowly as myself dared to touch her. She was so full of herself, "I'm sorry. I have something to ask" I said, stepping inside her house and shut the door behind us. She ignored me and walked to the living room. I trailed from behind.
 

 

"What is it?" She asked, swung around and defensively crossed her arms over her chest.
 

 

"Actual----" Something was disturbing me. The moment she opened her door. There was a faint smell, "----I smells blood" I turned to the room on the far corner, it was slightly ajar. I guessed, it was the bathroom. What was in there?
 

 

I made a beeline towards the room but she suddenly jumped in, blocking my path. Her closeness was too much. But, now that she was just inches away. That smell grew thicker. Did she...perhaps, "Are you on your period?" I tilted my head in confusion. She bled quite a lot.
 

 

She gave me weird expression, something that was so intense, so strong. I couldn't---"Leave" She demanded. It was pure disgust.
 

 

I was just trying to lift the mood though now I was sure. She was being tougher and defensive than usual, I was right. She must be on her period. I never knew she would be emotionally unstable. That was a new sight, "I'm just kidding. It was a joke" I chuckled awkwardly. When I stepped into her, her legs wobbled. I wanted to reach out but her warning flashed through my mind. Staggering, she drew back until she sat down on the couch armrest.
 

 

"Hurry up, Yoo Jeongyeon. I have no time to waste" She said, wearing a lazy expression.
 

 

She didn't look alright. Her face looked pale and the faint sounds of her breathing were a little uneven. Her eyes were closed. I heard some woman suffered great pain during menstruation. It must be hurting her that much for her to show this small vulnerability in front of me. I sat in the chair across from her, "Why did you give uncle a proposal on a new job without consulting me or the Chairman. If he knows, he'll be furious"
 

 

"The Chairman can't do anything about it and he can't stop me either. If the investors and board members knows about your uncle's mistake, no one can stop his dismissal. And it was the chairman himself who brought attention to this issues. He's obviously trying to tame you, knowing your uncle don't have the courage to leave the company and you will do anything to protect him. But the Chairman's action was reckless, it can be backfired. What happened if your uncle leave? then he has nothing to use against you. Now you have your answer, get out."
 

 

My family was not the only reason I was trapped. And though she could be right. She took advantage of the situation and freed uncle. Still it didn't make sense for her to do that, "Why?"
 

 

She fluttered her eyes open, "What do you mean why?"
 

 

"Why did you do that? You don't have to. I mean why do you care about my family?"
 

 

She sighed wearily, "‘Begin by seizing something which your opponent holds dear; then he will be amenable to your will.’ Sun Tzu: The Art of War. You are weak, and do you know why?  Because your enemy capture those who's important to you. Your cowardice, stupidity, recklessness, let it happened to your family. As long as your uncle works under the Chairman, your hand are tied, your legs are chained, your eyes are covered, your mouth are taped. You are nothing but the Chairman's doll."
 

 

"‘You can ensure the safety of your defense if you only hold positions that cannot be attacked’ Sun Tzu: The Art of War" I rebuked, she might be correct. But I had my own reason. A different way to ensure the safety of my family, "The Chairman can't do anything to me nor my position in the Son Group. I've gained enough authority and power and become an asset that he doesn't want to let go. That power can protect those whom I treasured. If uncle works in the Son Group, I can watch him closely and protect him. Now that's he's working at a different place, it's too risky."
 

 

"That company I suggest is owned by someone I know, if something did happened to him, I'll take responsibility."
 

 

What was it with this woman? One second she insulted my family and the next second she was trying to help us. Did she really think I would buy that? I wasn't that naive to be easily fooled by this trick,"How can I trust you? How can I know you are different than the Chairman? With my family working under that company, you can use them to order me around. At the end, I'm still a doll that changed her master. Am I right?"
 

 

She lurched forward, her free hand grabbing my tie, pulling me up so sharply that I nearly choked. I gasped, almost losing my balance again as I flung both arms out to stop myself from falling forward. What? Why was she---? I gripped the armrest for support while she was locked in between my arms. Her face loomed towards me; it was so close, too close, I could feel the whisper of her breath on my cheeks. I tried to focus on her eyes. The crease between her black eyebrows deepened. Her expression transformed into an angry growl.
 

 

A wild snarl ripped from , "Seriously, who's using who? I give you a chance, whether you take it or leave it, I don't care. I'm not going to waste my time persuading you" She shoved my shoulder roughly, pushing me away and I staggered backward.
 

 

Feeling ashamed, I looked down at the floor, bowing my head. Of course, the word shame and me had merged into one. Every breath I took, every penny I spent, every privilege I had. I felt ashamed. My whole life, I was being stared at, as though I wasn't welcome. Who would have accept an illegitimate child? I was a dirt. An inconvenient dirt that brought harm, tainted and threatened this respected, honourable Son family. If gaining power was the only way to protect myself, my uncle, and ‘her’ even by using you, Im Nayeon, I wouldn't hesitate. Because I knew, how it felt, when you were so weak, you could do nothing.
 

 

People whom I love, those who was equally important to my life. To watch them struggle and suffer so deeply, and to be utterly unable to help, was the one of the purest form of torture I'd ever encountered. That helplessness, I didn't want feel it ever again. She was right but entrusting the safety of my family to someone I barely know, was not wise. If it went wrong, all of my effort and power I had gained in the Son Group would be meaningless. She was sharp-witted and dangerous. I could never read what she was thinking. She was unpredictable. Her motive, what was her motive of doing this? Even if it appeared that she seemed to just purely offering help, there was no guarantee that she wouldn't change her mind.
 

 

From what I had seen and heard, she was rude, cruel and fussy. She had the worst personality. Someone couldn't change that much in a day. I couldn't trust her. I musn't. She was not believable enough. I glanced up, "I'm sure you are aware that your action doesn't make any sense"
 

 

"Consider it as charity works" She rolled her eyes and stood up straight, "Now, pick up your and get out" Then, with a light snort, she walked past me, towards the spiral staircase.
 

 

She had mounted half of the stairway when I hurriedly chased after her, "Wait"
 

 

She stopped and spun around. She raked her fingers through her hair, sweeping the damp strands back behind her ears, "God, what is it again?"
 

 

I stood a few steps away from her, looking up, "What is your true nature? I don't get who you really are"
 

 

"I don't understand myself, you see, I just don't know, so how could you, a total stranger could possibly understand anything about me." She bursted out, her voice quivering with intense emotion. Yet her eyes were hard. She remained composed, stringing her words together as though they'd existed within her for decades. Her hand pounding against her chest. It was as if her words weren't directed towards me but also her. It seemed like she was frustrated at herself. I had the impression, she was stifling her anger, using her energy to squash her feelings from spilling out.
 

 

What happened to her? What was going on with you? She was acting completely out of character, particularly today. What was it that was responsible for this change of behaviour? I kept quiet as I studied her, trying to figure her out. She pressed her eyes shut and opened it in a second. Something shifted. She stared at me with amusement. Her eyes that was once filled with such intensity now sparkled with mischief. I frowned, she changed again. She was like a weather, changing every second. A mischievous grin formed on her lips, "What's with this sudden interest? Miss popuar--kind--gentle--friendly Yoo Jeongyeon. You are asking this kind of question..."
 

 

She stepped down one step, "I couldn't help but to think," she stepped down another, "that you," she went down the final step whilst I immediately looked away, anywhere but that. Her was inclined with my face as she was a step higher in this position. She put one finger under my chin and lifted my head up, forcing my gaze back at hers, "have fallen in love with me" she smirked.
 

 

That was absurd. I stared right back at her, "I will never fall for someone who do not know love"
 

 

She laughed dryly and went down another step, her body flushed against mine. I grasped the stair rail with my left hand, preventing us from tumbling down the stairs, while the other instinctively looped around her waist, holding her securely. She was being absolutely ridiculous. What if we fall down? She barely wore anything. She could injure herself. It didn't look like she even thought of that. Without me realizing, I held my breath. Again, she was too close, I could feel her heartbeat, as if it were mine.
 

 

The tension increased as the silence stretched unbearably. Not sure if I wanted it to continue or be released from it. Her hands slowly slid across my chest, up to my shoulders, then circled around my neck, "That's too bad. You could've just say yes and sugar coat it. Acting as if you are madly in love with me is not a bad idea. Then you might reach your goal faster than you think" She rasped in a sultry tone as she gazed at me almost seductively.
 

 

Her intent was to tease me and played around, "I will not use you like that" I said, firmly. It slipped my mouth without thinking that...
 

 

She caressed my face and ran her fingers through my hair. Leaning in closer, she whispered in my ear, "I thought you already did, baby"
 

 

And that was a checkmate.








 







 

  - to be continued-

___________________________________

A/N: JunKudo