Wave

Ransomed Fiancée

Nayeon

 

 

I woke up to the door bell ringing nonstop, and its chimes resonating throughout the rooms of the entire house, becoming more intense and louder. The constant ear splitting noise made my head throbbed. What was it that was so important? It was still early in the morning. The ring stopped for a while then continued. Finally, I flung back the duvet and climbed out onto the soft carpet, grabbing a white silk robe and easily slipped into it. I walked downstairs to answer the door and there was my fiancee.

 

 

She had her arm raised, seemingly about to knock the door. She dropped her arm when she saw me and huffed. Her lips were drawn tight and her eyes glared with anger, "I admit it. I was careless" She began randomly. I arched my brows, demanding an explanation, "You talked as if you were going to do anything you could to block the news from leaking. Now I realized, you only said it to prevent me on taking any action. What do you gain from doing this? Is it fun?"
 

 

What was this weirdo barking? I crossed my arms over my chest and leaned against against the door frame, "I'm not sure what this is all about but you are taking your anger out on the wrong person"
 

 

"Wrong person?" She snickered. Advancing one step at a time, she leaned closer. I was used to heels. I hadn't been aware of her commanding height until she completely towered over me with a thunderous expression on her face. She slid her hand behind my neck and gave it a shrap tug. The force lifted me up on tiptoe, almost losing my balance but she had me held tight as she wrapped an arm around my waist. My face tilted up, meeting her gaze. I stood my ground, not flinching, not backing down from her glare. Though I hadn't noticed how tense my muscles were.
 

 

She drew me closer until our noses almost touched and I could feel the heat of her breath on my cheek. It was---uncomfortable. But that didn't bother me. What did was the ragged rhythm of my own breathing and the startled intake of breath she took in response. For a while, neither of us spoke. We stared deep into each other's eyes. I was questioning her behaviour while she studied me with dark, accusing eyes.
 

 

"If I didn't know better, I would have thought you are saying the truth" She shook her head, a mocking grin curved on her face, "It frightens me when I think of the large measure of such hypocrisy you have to endure in all the boring years which you have selfishly and ruthlessly sacrifices other people to cater to your self-importance"
 

 

"They are right, every rumor, every controversy. I foolishly thought that you are not as bad as they said. That there are kindness in you. That you might be misunderstood. But now I learn, you are exactly like how they said. You abandon people when they have no use to you anymore. You hurt people for absolutely no reason just because you find it amusing. You are one frightening woman. You scares the hell out of me" She whispered against my lips and pulled away, letting me go harshly.
 

 

I stared at her in silence. Her words. I'd heard something worse yet this stung deeper than anything I'd experienced. Her words felt like a cold spear, entering and stabbing, making me aware of how fragile I felt. She always made me realized how weak I am. She always made me felt vulnerable. And I hated it. For the first time, I wanted to fight for myself. I was split between anger and frustration. She was wrong. It wasn't like that.
 

 

"Jeong------" I reached for her arm but paused, leaving it hanging in the air. She looked at me and turned her heels as she walked away. I dropped my hand and scoffed. Why did I even tried to explain? Why did I tried to correct her? Why am I concerned of how she viewed me? It didn't matter. It never matter. It never change anything if I pursue this matter any further. They already made up their mind, whatever I said was an excuse. But what was this all about? Wait, it couldn't be. I thought I had taken care of it. As soon as it crossed my mind, I went back in and immediately checked my phone.

 

 

"Yoo Jeongyeon accused of affair with sister's wife. LYN alleged that the Son's Group heiress had been seeing her sister-in-law Myoui Mina in secret."

 

 

It really was. No wonder she attacked me early in the morning. A scandalous article became the first entry on the search-engine list. I looked through it and obviously it received negative reaction. It sparked outrage online. The comments below the article were filled with malice. Was it Rachel? No, she didn't have enough courage. It couldn't be. I'd warned her. That would be enough to scare her. She wouldn't do anything for a while. Mr Moon, I should consult him instead. I scanned through my list of contacts until I found his number.
 

 

"Chief Reporter Moon. What happened? I thought we've discussed about this yesterday?" I asked straightforwardly after the call connected.
 

 

He laughed awkwardly on the other end of the phone, unhurriedly saying, "Regarding that Miss Im. We had received countless report since yesterday and had been refusing to publish articles about it. However, an American influencer who was having her vacation here saw them. Our team was exhausted from blocking and deleting all post related that it took us off guard. She posted it on her official page and it attracted millions of viewers. We'd contacted her and she agreed to delete the post but it already spreads like wildfire. LYN (Lee Yul Network) media company released an official article covering the issue"
 

 

I frowned, "But I've talked to them as well"
 

 

"Mr Lee Yul can be unpredictable. He might take back his words"
 

 

It was partially my fault. That old geezer man. Why did I even trust his promise? That wasn't like me. I took this matter lightly. Opening the fridge, I pulled out a bottle of water and thumbed the cap twice, "I understand. Thank you for your cooperation Chief Reporter Moon"
 

 

"Ms Im don't have to thank me. If it weren't for Ms Im, my daughter wouldn't be alive. I would like to express my gratitude once again. Thank you for paying my daughter's medical bills three years ago. I will be forever indebted"
 

 

After one sip, hardly a mouthful, I set the bottle down on the countertop. Now that he mentioned it, he brought back one memory with extraordinary clarity. Three years ago. That time I was stuck between those four white walls and apparently I wasn't the only one. A little sunshine with her small fingers turned the knob to my room and visited me every single day. I thought she was one of the patient's family. She was so bright, so happy until it never crossed my mind that she was the patient. She stopped coming one day and out of curiosity, I searched for her. That tiny kid was born with con heart defect and a pediatric heart surgery was needed. Her parents was struggling to pay the medical bills and I just lend a helping hand.
 

 

"Don't mention it. Anyone would have done the same. I did it because I could" A small smile formed on my lips as I recalled how that kid used to whine, asking me to do her hair. How mischievous, "Your daughter----- Moon Hae Su. She was only five years old when the surgery was performed. She must be in her second grade"
 

 

"Ms Im is right. She's attending Huam Elementary School. Does Ms Im want to see her?"
 

 

I remained quiet for a second. She might not remember me. It had been a long time. I might take her off guard and scare her instead. I wasn't sure if it was all right.
 

 

"Hae su will be really happy"
 

 

I chuckled, Mr Moon was attentive. He knew what was bugging me, "I'll visit if there's a chance. Please convey my thanks to your team. I appreciate their help. Then, I'll see you around"
 

 

The call ended. I looked out of the window. The clouds clearing in the sky and the sun shining through. It was still early. I would have liked a cup of tea, breakfast would have been even better, but I was sensible enough, there were other more pressing matters to see to. I dressed up with a light pink dress, wore simple silver earrings, with light makeup applied over my cheeks, and casual hair. I opened my car and climbed into the driver's seat. My phone rang and I glanced at the caller ID display. Dr Lee. She was going to scold me for sure. I didn't answer and she left a voice message instead. I listened to her speak.
 

 

"Ms Im, you missed four of our appointment. I haven't been able to keep track with your condition. Please come to the next appointment. I have send the date---- etiquette. You listen here wicked ---you better come or I'll drag your stubborn here. And don't you dare to drive if you don't want to end up paralyzed. You barely survived the surgery three years ago. Listen to me, Nayeon"
 

 

I turned the key and the ignition gave an electric hum, the engine . My hands still held the steering wheel. I contemplated as Ji Eun unnie's voice rang in my ears. I sighed and called my secretary. She picked up after a few seconds, "Find me a driver" I ordered.
 

 

"All of the previous driver resigned after a week" She said nervously.
 

 

"That's because---" I rubbed my temple. Eating durian in a car, wearing strong nauseating perfume, smoking inside the car, talking too much, bad habit. I just wanted a normal one with common sense. Did I asked too much? I huffed, "---find me a decent and trustworthy one," Not waiting for her reply, I ended it and immediately called the taxi service. The early morning heavy traffic was building up. The driver drove steadily and fast, circumventing the city until we reached the roundabout on its outskirts and took the narrow road to Mr Lee Yul residence.
 

 

We came to a stop outside a porticoed front door. I noticed the maids were walking back and forth. The table was set up. He must be getting ready for the party. The door opened and there was a butler waiting with two footmen in livery behind him. I stepped down from the cab and the butler greeted me formally then led me over the checkerboard floor, stopping outside an imposing pair of wooden doors. He knocked briskly. A voice called from within, "Come in" I entered and Mr Lee Yul smiled when he saw me. He motioned to the seat across him, "Please take a sit, Ms Im. You are early. We are still preparing"
 

 

I sat on the leather couch across him, "Congratulations, Mr lee Yul. You are a step closer to death"
 

 

He laughed, "That is mean"
 

 

"I asure you, I can be meaner than that."
 

 

"Just like your father when he was around your age"
 

 

Sighing, I crossed my legs, "I'm sure you have heard a lot of things about me. Yes, that rumor and every despicable things you have heard is correct. I have a terribly bad temper"
 

 

"I can see that" He grinned, looking amused and intrigued, "What brings you here, Ms Im?"
 

 

"There's a saying. The cow is tied by its leash, men are held by his promise. Are you the cow or the man?" I asked sarcastically, pertaining to the promise he had broke. I had met him privately and made a deal to block all the article related to the affair. Looking at the current situation, the deal certainly didn't go as planned.
 

 

He hummed, pulling a cigar out of his pocket, bit off the end, spitting it into his glass ashtray. He grabbed the lighter off the table and flicked the roller. The flame shot up a few inches as he lighted his cigar. I stared at him in silence. He took my warning and puffed to the side, "There's no way for all the media company to stay silent about it. The news already spreads everywhere. If we don't want to be suspected, at least one article have to cover the issue"
 

 

I scoffed, he must be kidding me, "Do I look like a fool to you? You gain all the credit since your media company is the only one who release an article about it"
 

 

He puffed it out again in rings which ed the air bravely for a moment; blue and and circular, holding his cigar between his teeth, "To bury a news is simple. Cover it with a more sensational issue. Do you have anything in mind?"




 












 

Mina

 

 

When the chicken soup in the kitchen was emitting a strong fragrance, the sound had already risen high in the sky. I opened the lit and looked at the kitchen in the pot. Seeing that the chicken had already been stewed, and that there was a layer of golden oil on the surface, I was sure that the chicken had been stewed and was busy looking for the salt. Feeling that it was about time, I scooped the soup into a bowl. Lastly, a small pinch of pepper and sprinkled with dried parsley. I served immediately with a bowl of rice and three other vegetable dishes for a light supper.
 

 

"Where's mine?"
 

 

I looked up and saw her. She stood, leaning on the counter top. She was already dressed in white sweatshirt and black leather pants, a khaki overcoat hung over her left arm. Her hair had been styled and combed neatly.

 

 

She placed the coat the countertop and strode towards the dining table. I mentally rolled my eyes, scooped up a spoonful of soup and brought it to my lips, "I didn't know you are so delicate that you can't even fill your own bowl of soup and rice, Chaeyoung"
 

 

"That sounds awful, but I'll pretend not to hear it" She chuckled, thin- lipped with mischievous grin curving across her face as she sat infront of me. She propped her chin on her fist, "Are you still upset about what happened yesterday? I had already apologized and that was purely unintentional. I didn't mean to knock over the vase on the windowsill when I was cleaning the balcony"
 

 

I slammed down my spoon on the table. This woman really thought of me as a fool, "A vase that broke into hundred pieces and almost smash Ray's head if he had been a step closer and you didn't clean the balcony. I did" We had agreed not to hire maids for precautionary measures that they might found out about the contract marriage between us except on weekends. Hence, on weekdays, we----I had to take care of the house by myself. It would have been a lot easier if this woman across me lend a helping hand rather then tailing me around and making a mess.
 

 

"Don't be upset, he is well and still being an ugly lazy beast. That's what matter right?" She shrugged, crossing her arms and glanced to Ray who was still asleep in the living room.
 

 

"If you actually get off your lazy and help cleaning the house then maybe none of this would have happened" I rebuked, taking the chopsticks and picked up some of the pickled vegetables I made. She casually reached for a piece of fried zucchini. I hit her hand with the chopsticks.
 

 

"Stingy" She complained, pulling her hand back and stood up. She went to a the refrigerator and pulled out a jar. Then she walked over to the display case and pulled out a small piece of bread before closing the case again. She took a small cocktail napkin, placed the bread on top of it and then proceeded to spread thick layer of the jam. I watched in silence as she took a scoop of coffee beans out of a sack, poured them into a red grinder affixed to the countertop, reduced them to powder with a few rotations, put the coffee into an expresso machine and set it to heat on a little gas ring. When it was done, she poured the coffee into a mug.
 

 

I sighed and rose from my seat, taking the mug off her hand. She looked at me confusedly, "I can't even drink a coffee that I brew by myself using the machine that I bought inside the house that I build?" She spat sarcastically while I took out a cold jug of strawberry-banana smoothie that I had made earlier and handed it to her. She looked at me with such obvious suspicion in her eyes, "Poisonous?"
 

 

Why did I bother? Should just let her have a terrible stomach ache. I put the glass on the countertop and went back to the dining table, "You have to drink it to know. Coffee in the making make your stomach upset. Smoothie is better" I heard her small laugh as she followed and sat back on the chair across me, bringing her breakfast with her. We ate in silence before I remembered about the mail I had left in the living room, "There's an envelope slips through the letter box yesterday"
 

 

"Is it a red and gold sealed envelope?" She asked, taking a sip of the smoothie. I nodded. She was right. It looked very elegant and grand that made it distinct from the other mails, "Mr Lee Yul birthday's party invitation" She stated, stealing a piece of fried zucchini. I didn't stopped her as I was lost in thought.
 

 

"Lee Yul?" I'd heard that name before and wondered where.
 

 

"The Red Summer Camp Murder Case in 1980" Chaeyoung explained. Now that rung a bell, "Out of twenty-five student, Mr Lee Yul was the only sole survivor. He was invited as a guest in a talk show to share about his experience and that had gained nationwide's attention. Since then, he was featured in numerous TV show and became a motivational speaker. He begun by having his own talk show and steadily grew his brand and his empire, founding Jojo Studios, a multimedia company. He then collaborated with Webb.D Media, founded Lee Yul Network (LYN) in 2002, another media company that attracts millions of television viewers"
 

 

Indeed, I knew that case. He was a famous motivator. His story had became an inspiration to many. Though I didn't have the privilege of meeting him in person. Working as a part timer in the publishing magazine company, I thought I would have the chance to interview him but I never had the opportunity, "I've never seen him" I confessed.
 

 

Chaeyoung rubbed the edge of her eyebrows and frowned, "You don't watch televi-----Nevermind. You don't even have one. You are people of the Stone Age" She smirked. This woman never missed a chance to belittle me if she could, "His 60th birthday is today. I want you to dress appropriately and act accordingly. It's a semi-formal event and the Hirai will be there too. You don't have to be anxious about it. I have a meeting today, so I'll ask Miss Momo to help you prepare. I'll pick you up along with Dahyun and we'll go together" Getting up from her seat, she wiped her lips and fingers with a napkin then collected her coat. Her phone suddenly rung. She answered it fumblingly, trying to get it out of her coat pocket. I carried my dish to the sink and started to wash the plates while she was on a call.
 

 

"What bull are you talking about?" The bitterness in her voice took me by surprise. I swung around and watched her start to boil. Her face stiffened. Her eyes squinted. Her jaw clenched, "Article? Where did that come from?" She asked to the other party while staring intently at me. What was going on? She continued talking and I couldn't hear well enough to grasp the context of their conversation, "I'm hanging up now, Tzu" She ended the call and turned to face me. That look. That expression. That stare. It weren't foreign.

 

 

Another call broke the heavy silence. She glanced to the caller and took a deep breath before answering it, "Reporter Kang. Ah yes, there must be a misunderstanding. That pictures-----it was my fault. We were supposed to go together but I had an urgent meeting that day. I told my fiancee to spend time with my sister instead and I'd join them some other time. They are close friends. It's not like how you think. Please take down all the article as much as you can" She ended the call and it rung for the third time. In a wave of directionless anger, she threw the phone to the floor, the screen cracking. I flinched, closing my eyes as she charged across the kitchen and shoved aside the dining table. I stepped away until my back hit the edge of the sink. She caught hold of my wrist and yanked me toward her.
 

 

"An affair?" She inquired. A hiss escaped through her teeth, followed by a groan as she wrapped her hand around my throat. I immediately struggled and tried to loosen her fingers but she was cutting off my air. I met her eyes. They were dark and intense, sharp and assessing, making me powerless to look away. I could feel her rapid breathing, touched my skin. I could feel the blood pound in my head and I ceased to breathe. My whole body trembled and racked with fear. In the distance, I familiar voice calling my name, the sound of broken furniture, shouting. An ear-wrenching ring so high-pitched attacked my ears. I whimpered in pain.
 

 

Whenever this happened, whenever I caught myself in this situation, I felt so weak, so vulnerable. It made me hated myself more. That there was nothing I could do. I could only accept it and beg for it to stop, "Why were you out with Jeongyeon? What have you done?!" She squeezed harder this time. Her thumbs pressed into my windpipe. Her grip tightened on my wrist and I bit back a cry of pain. I could feel the bones twisted against the pressure, "Mina!-----" She yelled.
 

 

"Chaeyoung, please," I choked out. A tear fell from the corner of my eye and trickled down my cheek. I sobbed. This hurted. It hurted so much. There were no blood, not even a drip but I felt myself bleeding. Her eyes softened, there were pain, there were tears in it. As if what had happened was out of her control, she was taken aback and instantly retreated. My knees gave way beneath me and I slumped to the floor. I sat there. My brain unable to gain focus, unable to jolt my body into motion. I heard footsteps stalking closer. It hurted. Stop, I begged you. Why did you do this to me? I scooted away into the corner, hugging my knees to my chest,
 

 

"I'm sorry, please don't hit me" My heart raced frantically. I bowed my head, afraid and anxious. Where would I be hit? My arms? My back? My legs? What would they use? How painful would it be? Should I make a run for it? No, they would drag me back here, into this hell.
 

 

"Mina," A voice called. It was a woman. It wasn't them. What this woman want from me? Would she hit me too? "Mina, look at me" She encouraged. I shook my head and hugged myself tighter. Her hand cupped my cheek. She rubbed the pad of her thumb one line of tears. It was warm. It was soothing. I tilted my head into her touch, closed my eyes, and sighed. She slowly lifted my chin and I fluttered my eyes opened.
 

 

"Chaeyoung" I called. My head was aching. She stared at me worriedly and even guiltily. Everything happened so quick. I barely remember. It was all jumbled together.
 

 

She kneeled down and held out her hands. I stared at her for a moment and hesitantly took her hands. She smiled assuringly and brought it to her neck as she pulled me into a warm embrace. I came willingly, resting my head on her shoulder and felt the comfort she offered as she wrapped her arm around me. She my hair and showered kisses across my temple, "I'm sorry Mina. I'm so sorry. You are okay. You are okay, now" She whispered in my ears. I clung to her, my hands gripped her shirt as I cried silently. Wasn't it hilarious? I am seeking for protection and receiving comfort from the person who hurted me in the first place. Maybe it wasn't entirely her fault. I was for a while, lost in time and memories. It was stupid but I needed this now. Assurance. There were no more screams, no more pain, no anger, just a soft embrace.
 

 

I wasn't sure when exactly I'd lost my consciousness but the next time I opened my eyes, I was in my room, laying down. I was about to sit up when I realized a heavy weight on my lap. It was her, Chaeyoung. She had her head laid on my thighs while our hand clutched together. How long had she been here? She moved slightly and noticed me staring, "How's your feeling? You suddenly fainted, so I carried you here" She explained and examined me. He trailed a finger on my neck and I winched. There must be a bruise. She leaned closer until our foreheads touched, "Please forgive me for what I'd done to you" Over her soft apologetic eyes, the sincerity in her voice, cut through the resentment and hatred.
 

 

The moment was brief but meaningful. I knew I couldn't hold it for a long time and it was just my nature. I was unselfish. Because of that I'd been taken advantages of, being used, being manipulated. I wasn't stupid. I knew what they were doing. But there was nothing I could do about it. I let it be. I let myself shouldered as much burden as I could. That was me. I wished I would prioritised myself even once. I wished I could hate someone, blame someone, other than myself, "I forgive you, Chaeyoung" I mumbled. She pulled away and grinned, then hugged me tightly. I responded, sliding my arms around her waist and to her back, tapping it gently.
 

 

I asked her about what happened earlier and eventhough she was at first refused and insisted that now it didn't matter and I don't have to think about it, I managed to persuade her. Even though she said it was nothing. I could see questions and worry and the inability to settle the storm inside her left her unsettled and unsure. Chaeyoung was a sensitive person even unstable, although she didn't appear to look like one. Living with her, I learned that fact. She showed me an article and it was the last thing I'd expected to see. Attached to the article were some of the pictures I recognized. It was taken during the food festival. I didn't know that could lead to this scandal. I was careless. It could harm this marriage. I understood where Chaeyoung's anger came from. I almost ruined her plan.
 

 

I told her everything that happened that day, maybe not everything, I skipped a few parts especially Jeongyeon's confession. She didn't have to know that. This information would be enough to make our story matched. I apologized for causing trouble and she held my hand, "There's nothing else between you two?" She asked, staring into my eyes. I shook my head. She pressed her lips together and nodded once.
 

 

She took a deep breath, turned around for a while before she averted her gaze back to me. I blinked, she seemed-----brighter, "So, Jeongyeon knows?" She asked again. I nodded. She brought a finger to the edge of her left eyebrow and rubbed it, seemingly thinking a way out, "That will be fine. I doubt she will expose us. She doesn't want to put this successor formality on hold. Even if she tries to do something, it will be after everything is over. I'll have to come up with an idea to keep shut until then"
 

 

That sounded like a threat. She couldn't possibly hurt her sister, right? I opened my mouth to speak, but her lips went to cover mine and silenced my response. I tried to protest, tried to speak, but she kept on, until I went limp and pliant in her arms. all the fight out of me. Her hand tucked me closer, but carefully. As if she knew just how far to test my ability to be touched. Since meeting her, I'd come to realize that kissing cured a lot of ailments. Though I wasn't sure what to feel about it. Everything was new to me. Even this. I thought after a while, I would get used to it, but I never really did.
 

 

She loosened her arms around me and kept her kiss soft and tender, only just brushing my lips with hers. She gave me the chance to push her. My hand came up to her chest and I could feel the beat of her heart against my palm. I just had to pull away. I knew I shouldn't continue this. I knew this would only hurt me more. But-----I couldn't. My hand rested there, unable to pull her closer nor push her away. It always like that. I couldn't make a decision for myself.
 

 

Everything I'd done, my choices was all for Sana. Even this engagement, it was for the benefit I could gain that all went to care for my sister. I never manage to make a decision for myself. I felt the corners of her lips curling in a smile. With gentle guidance, she tipped my face to deepen the kiss, and I accepted it. She wrapped her arms tightly around my waist and lifted me, pulling me onto her lap. I slipped my hands around her neck, settling myself against her as I balanced myself from falling.
 

 

Her hands moving over me, caressing and touching my back. I opened my mouth on a gasp when I felt her thumb on my ears. She quickly darted her tongue inside, swiftly, lightly. She added pressure, just enough to invite a response. The feel of her tongue now caressing mine sending shivers coursing through my entire body, and with a sigh I had completely given up as I reciprocated the kiss. Her body pressed against me firmly, which was warm and study. His breath mingled with mine. As we kissed, her hand pulled the ribbons loose on the straps of my nightgown, releasing them one by one. They dropped from my shoulder and her lips replaced the soft fabric. I shuddered, closing my eyes as I gripped her shoulder.
 

 

She started at one shoulder and trailed down my chest to the bow between my . My heart was beating wildly and I was out of breath. Inside, I was feeling various emotions and there was anxiety and fear. I was scared. I dragged my lids open and find her staring at me intently. I shivered from her passionate gaze. Not once dropping her gaze, she sank her teeth into the ribbon and pulled it loose, gaping my gown wide open, revealing just a black bra underneath. Feeling self conscious, I looked away. She dipped her face into the crook of my neck, inhaling deeply as she deposited soft kisses around the bruise.
 

 

My body trembled, breaths growing shallow. She hooked her fingers beneath the straps of my bra and tugged them down my arms. Before it went down any further, I pulled her into a tight hug, stopping her movements, "W--wait, Chaeyoung. I---I'm sorry, " I whispered, panting as I tried to catch my breath. Her arms went to my back, caressing reassuringly up and down. The felt tender and soothing as she continued.
 

 

The doorbell rung and it forced us apart instantly. We were left, staring at each other as though neither of us could believe what had happened in that short moment. Our heavy breathing revealed the intensity. She smiled and kissed my forehead. Reaching for the duvet, she covered my body with it and walked away. The doorbell rung again. I wondered who would it be. I caught myself in the mirror and saw a few--------I immediately grabbed a handkerchief and wrapped it around my neck. I fixed my dress and waited, feeling my cheeks flaming. A few second later, there were quickening step coming closer and the door opened.
 

 

Miss Momo.
 

 

"Mina-chan, are you sick?" She hurriedly walked to me and sat on the edge of the bed. She placed her palm on my forehead, checking my temperature, "You don't look like you have a fever" She frowned, placing a finger under her chin. She leaned closer while I did everything I could to avoid her eyes,"But why are you so red?" She asked. My gaze met Chaeyoung who was leaning against the door frame, laughing. I glared at her, narrowing my eyes.
 

 

She smacked her lips and coughed, rubbing the edge of her eyebrows as she walked to us. She sat on the bedside chair,  "Mina doesn't feel well. I don't think she can attend the party" She said, looking at Miss Momo.
 

 

Miss Momo bowed her head and pouted, "But I've prepared a matching dress for us" She lifted her gaze that seek for sympathy. Her eyes filled with sadness.
 

 

I chuckled, "Okay, let's go to the party" She jumped in delight, her eyes brightening before she pulled me into a tight hug. Chaeyoung stared me, her brows furrowing. Her eyes showed growing concerned. I tapped her hand and mouthed, "It's okay" She reluctantly nodded. I smiled.
 

 

I was relieved she didn't ask about my reaction towards what happened earlier in the morning. She didn't say anything. And I didn't think I was ready to talk about it either. I also refused to ponder over what happened between us earlier. I would forget about it. I would treat her and whatever that happened as a wave.
 

 

Chaeyoung had always been like an ocean wave. The moment you think she's drawing near, she'd pull away. And just as you feel, she's ebbing away, she'd come rushing back towards you. Sometimes, it came as a gentle wave. Sometimes it came as violent wave and sometimes it came as a rogue wave that emerged suddenly out of nowhere with a deadly force. I stood in the same place, being smashed over and over again.
 

 

A wave,
 

 

That come and go. I wouldn't hold it for too long, wouldn't expect it to stay.
 

 

You shouldn't be attached to something temporary.
 













 

- to be continued-
__________________________________

 

✒ JunKudo

 

A/N: unedited