Agreement

Ransomed Fiancée

Chaeyoung
 

 

The next morning, we acted like nothing made any different, yet. Miss Myoui brought in a proposal file and placed it carefully on my desk. She went over my schedule, confirming I had another meeting with the Marketing Director Cosmetic discussing the event that will be held in two days. It was a small project that I was assigned to, and I was certain it would go as planned.
 

 

I twirled my pen around my thumb, boringly listening to Miss Myoui as she reads the schedule for today. She paused which gained my attention. I perked my ears to her next sentence."The Chairman is requesting your attendance. 1 p.m. at Blue Plate. He wanted to have lunch with you." Miss Myoui said in hesitancy. My fingers stopped spinning, I froze on my chair. There will be only two reasons for the chairman to summon you. You had either made big mistakes or made a big success. He either wanted to punish you or compliment you. I am not sure whether I'm in the former situation or the latter. From the corner of my eyes was Miss Myoui, looking at me. Her expression was hard to read.
 

 

"What's with that dulled-penguin-sickening face?" I asked, eyes squinted at her. She pressed her lips and refuse to answer as silence took over us. I bet she was mocking me inside her head and I just caught her. Tsk. That expression seemed very familiar. All employees knew the Chairman and I had bad blood and were in the midst of cold war, same with my step-sister. Although I was known as cruel, everyone knew the Chairman could order me to his shoes and I would have no choice but to obey. Like a guard dog, with a collar around my neck. I had an owner. The owner I wished to suppress, the owner I wished to rip into pieces.
 

 

I sighed."Take the afternoon off. My place at seven okay?" Her eyes avoid my gaze as if she was thinking of how to decline my demand. Before she could make some excuses, I continued "If you have to go somewhere important, text me. If not, it needs to wait"
 

 

"Okay" She breathed out then leave after I dismissed her. It's common knowledge for Son Enterprise to monitored emails and companies cellphone. I had my own phone to which only the select few had the number. There was no point of asking whether Miss Myoui had one as for her, money seemed to be limited. I planned to rectify that today, along with my other errands. I didn't want to take the chance the Chairman had texts and calls monitored, as well. We would get caught if that happened.




 

* * * *

12:30 p.m. I glanced at my wristwatch and stood. Arriving late at an appointment considered a crime in the family, better not appear at all if you were bound to be late even for a minute. The Chairman was always precisely on time. He was, in fact, a perfectionist. I walked to the standing hook rack and grabbed my coat, then slipped into it as I exited my office. At this point, I was already considered late.
 

 

When I stepped outside, I turned to Miss Myoui and she had her head on the desk, facing sideways. She was apparently sleeping. An automatic reaction escaped my mouth, a groan. I rounded her desk and stood next to her, crouching as I pointed my finger to her temple, attempting to wake her up. But as if there was a sudden force that stopped me, I sighed and retracted my hand before clasping my wrists behind my back. I took time to study her face, completely forgotten of the important meeting.
 

 

There were dark circles under her eyes. Clearly, she wasn't taking proper care of herself, even proper sleep. I wondered what she was doing with her life. She scrunched her nose as she shifted slightly on her chair, eyes remained shut. Involuntarily, the tips of my lips moved upward.
 

 

The sound of a warm breeze alarm caught me off guard. I snapped my head towards the company cellphone she had in her desk and hastily smashing the snooze button as hard as I possibly could. She stirred in her sleep, and suddenly jolted up, jumping on her seat. I watched her eyes widen as she looked confused with my presence and closeness. Meanwhile, I was frozen in my place, our distance could be measured by breath away. She broke the awkward eye contact and stumbled to her feet as she took a step backwards.
 

 

I cleared my throat and looked away. That was weird. That feels so weird. Gathering my thoughts, I slipped my hands inside my pocket and walked towards her. "This desk must be really comfortable Miss Myoui. Why don't you just live here?" I snickered. Her cheeks are suddenly kissed pink like a spring rose, the blooming colour against her pale skin. I'd never seen her blush. I mean in embarrassment, yeah but not this kind of blushing. I grimaced at the sight and tilted my head "You are an odd penguin" I uttered, shaking my head.
 

 

As I was retreating and made a beeline to the elevator, I stopped. Turning around, "Ahh" I heaved, realizing my almost abandoned mission. To make the Chairman believe in our relationship. I'm sure this meeting was centring around the topic, he either saw through Tzuyu white lie or he was testing me to know the truth. Miss Myoui was intently listening with a notebook and a pen, ready to jot down. Her hair was loosed from its braid and tossed about by the breeze from the window. She looked at me with that curious eyes, waiting for my next words. For a moment, she was a female lead in a drama, with the wind blowing her long hair sideways, and moulding her blouse tightly against her firm, full brea---
 

 

I grunted and marched to the window, closed it, pulled the curtain and sighed. You are the one who is weird. I fixed my expression, hiding any sense of guiltiness slash embarrassment for thinking really weird things. "Exactly at 2 p.m. Give me a ring and remind me I need to meet my lawyer at 5 o'clock," I said, then dashed away, not meeting her gaze nor waiting for her confused reply.





 

* * * *

I pulled into the spot parking lot of Blue Plate and glanced at the clock. Five minutes late--I'm screwed. As I walked into the restaurant, I spotted the round table in the centre of the room where a few waiters were standing, welcoming my presence. While the table was occupied by the Chairman, staring at me then he looked over his watch. The restaurant was empty, no one was in sight. It surprised me that he didn't just reserve a table but booked the entire restaurant when he was known as a humble person. I supposed this meeting was that important for him to went against his humility principles, only for us to have a conversation without any interruption.
 

 

I gulped to the thoughts. Before walking over to him, I paused for a minute, watching him from afar. I see the empty seat waiting for me and though I want to walk over and claim that seat, there was a part of me that knew once I sit down, there will be no turning back. My fist clenched as I made my way and bowed before settling across him.
 

 

"You are late," He said. The low timbre of his voice struck me.
 

 

"I had to catch up with something" I reasoned, meeting his darkened eyes. I wondered where the warmth gaze he used to gave me went to. Over time, me, my stepsister, the Chairman, were all changed for the worse I may say. Again, I was beyond impressed when he brushed off the issues of me arriving late at this meeting. If he was being his usual self, he would have eaten me with fiery eyes and left.
 

 

The waiter brought our lunch but neither of us made any effort to eat. Silent filled the air. He formed a small smile which only appeared in a blink before he scrambled to the utensil, "How's the make-up show progressing?" He asked, cutting the steak.
 

 

"Good" There wasn't anything worth to be mentioned for that project. It wasn't anything important that included huge investors or influential client. The show is merely an open event to promote our new products.
 

 

"Don't take it lightly. Investors don't trust entrepreneurs. They trust customers."
 

 

My hands stopped as the words registered inside my bird-brain and I just realized how ignorant I must have looked just now. I admit I was growing egotistical and arrogant to the importance of customers' views and opinions. Of course, I'm fully aware that savvy investors know that if you've already had some success with customers, many more customers are waiting to buy. Early sales will prove to investors that your products or services are priced competitively. I should have that thinking buried deep down inside my mind.
 

 

The idea of him giving me advice, especially I requested ones annoyed me. I grabbed the napkin and wiped my mouth before averting my gaze to him "I don't think you arranged this meeting just to give me advice." I was thankful for his short reminder but I wasn't going to waste my time entertaining him by playing words when I'm already alerted by the purpose of this lunch.
 

 

He put his utensil down and reached for his glass. He swirled the wine by holding the base of the glass between his fingers and moving his hands quickly in tight circles. He lifted the glass and took a sip. "I supposed it was you who had something to tell me, am I wrong" He questioned.
 

 

Before I could reply, my phone buzzed. Right on time. 2.p.m "Excuse me" I glanced at the screen, hoping I looked sheepish. "I need to take this. I apologize." The Chairman subtly nods his head, approving. I turned away as I answered. "Mina" I murmured, pitching my voice low.
 

 

For a moment, there was silence, then she spoke. "Eh? Ms Son?"
 

 

"Yes." I chuckled, knowing I had confused her. The image of my PA's face, perplexed by the sudden change of calling her by first name and certainly never in a voice like the one I had just used, had me laughing inwardly. I knew I had trolled her this time. I didn't think I had ever called her anything besides Miss Myoui before and last night was my first time uttering her first name. I guessed it was hard for her to get used to calling me by my name and still addressed me with formality this early morning. I'm not complaining since we hadn't publicly reveal our faked relationship. I heard her clear somewhere in the line before she continued.
 

 

"Um, you asked me to call and tell you that you had a meeting with your lawyer at 5 o'clock?"
 

 

"5 o'clock?" I repeated.

 

"Yes?"

 

I bit the tugging smile on my lips and masked the needed expression "Okay, I'll adjust. Is everything all right there?"
 

 

She sounded shocked when she replied. "Miss Son, are you all right?"
 

 

"Of course, I am." I couldn't stop teasing her more. "Why?"
 

 

"You sound, um, quite different."

 

 

"Stop worrying," I soothed, knowing the Chairman was listening. "Everything is fine. Take an early time off, and lock the door. I'll join you shortly" I instructed as I smirked into the phone, injecting a concerned tone to my voice.
 

 

Bewilderment led to bravery for her. "Lock the door? and take an early time off? Are you drunk?"
 

 

That hit me. Her confusion had taken her into a new level. I burst out laughing at her words. "Just listen to me, Mina. Stay safe, and I'll see you when I get back." I hung up, still smiling, and turned around to face the Chairman. "My assistant, " I explained.
 

 

He leaned forward, rested his elbow on the table and clasped his hand together. His interrogating and disbelief gaze held mine. I'm sure he hadn't trusted me enough. "What do you think of her? I thought you have a deep hatred towards the lady" He doubted.
 

 

"Not. Anymore. People change." I replied rather stoically.
 

 

"And you have?"
 

 

"Maybe yes, maybe not. I'm new to this whole situation. I just hope, she could enlighten me, teach me, show me how...." My voice lowered as I trailed off the most ridiculous sentence I ever uttered. I closed my eye briefly, wishing that I appeared sincere when I'm totally cringing from the inside. The next words stuck in my throat like a big lump. I'd spent my entire life without any difficulty of social interactions but this lump shattered my perfect fluency in speaking. I felt like a dumb.
 

 

"...How to love?" The Chairman added. Finishing my sentence. I nodded awkwardly, hoping he would assume my reaction was the outcome of shyness. This is disgusting. He hummed and proceeded, "Tell me, what do you see in her, now?"
 

 

I'm screwed. When it came to business, I could talk forever. Strategies, angles, concepts, visualizations---- I could go on for hours. I rarely spoke on a personal level about myself, so what could I possibly say about a woman I barely knew, and didn't like. I had no idea. I swallowed and glanced at the table, running my fingers over the smooth surface.
 

 

"Plain, boring, weak" I blurted out. That was the truth. Now what Son Chaeyoung? The Chairman's brows raised at my stupid blunder. I tried to cover my mistakes as my thought flew to Myoui Mina. I recalled the day she ate a sandwich on her desk, how I scolded her and how the strawberry jam dripped into her worn blouse. She seemed to valued money itself more than what it can buy, and sought to save money even if she had to sacrifice herself. Our agreement proved it. She was stingy. But, I had to put this into good words, "It made me wanted to protect her." I started, studying the Chairman's face. "Her minimalism lifestyle shows how she doesn't value material things, but rather what she needs."
 

 

I let my mind ran free again, trying to come out with something. The second point was beyond repair. She rarely talked, she sometimes read books, and a loner. I'd no intention whatsoever to waste my time figuring out what kind of topic to share with her so we would have a decent conversation and not excruciating. But again, I need to put this into good words. "Her boring side was annoying, but I realized it was only because I've never truly listened to what she wanted to say." Well, that was at least kinda true.
 

 

She was both mentally and physically weak. Allowing people to use and take advantages of herself, letting herself tripped over the dust. A sigh escaped my lips, that was her trait I hated the most. The Chairman was still staring at me intently, waiting for me to continue. I had to end this overflowing compliment and falsify fact or I'll die from cringes. "I once saw her as a weak doormat who let others step over her. However, I realized, she endured that mistreatment for years. She never complained nor rebuked but picked herself and kept going up no matter how many times people tried to bring her down." I grimaced by my own speech. That people was none other than me who wanted her to resign every single day. I masked a soft smile and asked "Isn't that what one should call a strong lady?"
 

 

The Chairman subtly nodded. I watched his face dropped as if a black mist had settled upon him. His eyes seemed heavy with unshed tears. I frowned in confusion."Plain, boring, weak. Does she remind you of someone?" He asked. My brows twitched by it. I only could stare wordlessly at him who had a ghastly expression, dominated by profound sadness. Did I miss something? I thought my speech deserve Noble Award.
 

 

He heaved a deep sigh and regarded me with an approving look. "I think I heard enough." He smiles, one sincere smiles that I hadn't seen for years brought the long-forgotten memory of my childhood. I looked away from the sight, "Treat her with kindness and give her the love that she needs, she's a fragile and pitiful girl. Don't disappoint me." He continued before stood up, and fixed his vast."I supposed you two are living together. I'll send a gift to your house." He took his cane and walked away, leaving me to clasp the edge of the table as relief washed over me.


 


 

* * * *

I went back to my office. Miss Myoui's desk was empty, I assumed she had headed home. I only had a few more proposals to read and approve, before calling it a day. A 'ting' sound of an elevator halted my movement followed by heels of clip-clopping behind me. I turned around, and was greeted by Park Jihyo, the Chairman secretary. She stopped handed me a black file that safety tucked under her arm.
 

 

"The Chairman requested shareholders meeting the next two days. That was an advance notice that includes the agenda." Jihyo said, smiling rather sheepishly at me.
 

 

I ignored her weird behaviour and open the file. Seldomly, the Chairman will ask for a sudden meeting instead of an annual general meeting, whatever the agenda was. It must be important and it didn't disappoint. I was left awestruck as I read what was written on the paper. The Chairman had officially announced that he would name his heir after six months and the agenda would be discussing on how the successor will be chosen. He must be really in a rush. I guessed this news helped me in a various way, one of it which was the most beneficial to me was: I only had to act and keep up with Myoui Mina for a few months. Then it was all over.
 

 

A fake cough awakened me from my little celebration. I shut the file and frowned to the sight of Jihyo wiggling her eyebrows to me. "You have Tourette syndrome?" I asked mindlessly. She groaned before giving me a teasing smile while her eyes narrowed. Why everyone was acting oddly today. Was the sun rose in the west? She kept staring at me with that inhuman expression then lightly tap my forearms. "What? Jihyo-sii" My voice came out harsher than intended, but I ain't apologize. This girl here who was one of the selected few that I respected was annoying me nonstop.
 

 

She broke into a chuckle then winked "Congratulations I heard the news"
 

 

So, that was it all about. I just smile before a question popped inside my brilliant brain."Wait, how do you know" I didn't think the Chairman would tell anyone as I hadn't introduced Miss Myoui formally and he knew better that bad rumour might start to spread around if the news breaks.
 

 

"The Chairman asked my opinion of it. He is doubting whether you are qualified enough for Mina and whether you are true to your feelings." Jihyo slipped her hand inside her jacket and stare at me, rather intimidating."I trusted you, you won't hurt her right?" She asked. Her question wasn't fully entered my haze mind as I was in a triggered mood.
 

 

I scoffed. Did the Chairman really think of me not good enough for someone like Myoui Mina? If I didn't deserve her then no one else could! Did he even know how many ladies and guys queued up just to have dinner with me. Did he know my last ex was a beauty pageant, hundreds wait no thousand times prettier than that doormat assistant. My last last ex was a well-known Victoria' secret model and even if she was five feet taller, I'm much more cooler and charismatic, she couldn't get over me and lingered around for weeks after I dumped her. My last last last ex was a flight attend----
 

 

"Chaeyoung-sii!"
 

 

I jolted as an ear-splitting loud voice yelled my name. Unceasing. Crippling my thoughts and assaulting my ears. Jihyo had her hands on her waist. She must have been calling me a couple of times. I let out a nervous chuckle before scratching my brows. "Why are you gawking into space? Are you okay?" She asked. I simply shook my head. She sighed in relief, then held my gaze once more. "Mina is a good girl Chaeyoung-sii. I really hope you'll treat her nicely. Try to listen to her more and understand her hmm?"
 

 

What could I do if she asked me with that pleading eyes and soft voice? It only made me felt unwanted guilty. I had the urge to tell her honestly that everything was staged that, I wasn't even in love with Miss Myoui, that we both lying or rather I forced her into this situation, that I can't promise anything, that I might hurt her, that this relationship wouldn't last long. I wanted to at least tell Jihyo-sii. But I was hopeless and even agreed to pinky promise her to protect Miss Myoui from any pain.
 

 

I hope she wouldn't turn her back on me when she knows the truth.

 



 

* * * *

Miss Myoui was punctual, arriving at seven o'clock. She did have the same principles as the Chairman. Maybe their similarity was the reason he took a liking of her. I opened my door, letting her enter, took her coat, and hung it up---the whole time silent. There was such stiffness, a formality to our interactions, which I knew had to change. Problem was, I didn't know how to make it happen. She was socially awkward, obviously. While me, I'd never interacted with her other than business-related. For our relationship to change from employer-employee to fiancées in a day, was understandably hard to adapt.
 

 

I escorted her to the counter by the kitchen and handed her a glass of wine. "I'll order some Japanese." I speak up, trying to lighten the atmosphere.
 

 

"You didn't have to."
 

 

"You don't want me cooking. You wouldn't survive." I said matter of fact. "I'm not sure the kitchen would survive." It was one of the few things I'm bad at, even worst at. I had no talent or skill in culinary. Good things I wasn't that picky when it came to food. Tasty and healthy. As long as it match either the two, I'll eat it.
 

 

"I like to cook" She offered, a small smile curling her lips. I arc my brows when she told me not to order then gathered her hair before she tied it in a messy bun. She jumped from the stool chair and rounded the counter, halting before she looked at me "May I?" She asked, wanting permission. I nodded, silently finding it funny how she asked consent to enter the kitchen. There weren't many ingredients in my fridge and so she decided to cook a simple meal. She prepared dinner with my guide, notifying her where all the spices and utensils were located as she still tried to familiarise with the space.
 

 

It was weird and amazing at the same time to see her here in my house, in my kitchen, when the only image she had in my memory was her in formal clothing working on her desk. This was a new sight for me. I had never imagined this situation but here I am. Watching her from the counter. The ice in my veins was painfully and deliberately melted away. Maybe we could actually work together without me, getting pissed over small things. I just had to increase my endurance and patience.
 

 

It didn't take her long to make a five dish meal with limited ingredients. I was quite impressed. I studied every dish as she sat across me, eyes following my gaze. This was the first time had home-cooked food made for me after my mother passed away. I didn't think I actually missed this. So bad.
 

 

My mind snapped back into the present time and I realized I had a company, especially Miss Myoui. I really don't like whatever emotions I had just now. Grumbling, I threw the uninvited melancholy feeling out of my chest. Listening to my whining stomach, I picked up the spoon and tasted the rainwater-plus-grass looking mixed. First impressions, horrible but I was taken aback when the taste was contradicted to how it looked like. It was delicious though I wasn't sure what it was, still, my taste buds were excited.
 

 

I noticed she was still staring at me, as if she was waiting for my reaction. I clear my throat and clicked my tongue, pointing to the bowl with the spoon. "Is this soup or stew?" I asked, complaining.
 

 

She hummed and smile sheepishly "It can be both. You know it's multiplayer." Her reply earned her an annoyed glare from me. "Does it taste bad?" She asked, taking a sip on her own. She tilted her head "It's not that bad" Her voice trailed off.
 

 

"It's edible." I nodded my head slowly, approving her cooking skills. She only gave me one happy smile before we start eating. That was the last words that left my words as neither of us talked at the dining table, only the sounds of utensils hitting each other filled the air. I supposed it really felt different when you ate with someone and when you ate alone. There was something soothing just by the presence of your company. Her silence was somehow comforting and spoke for itself, it was peaceful in a way where I could finally feel at home.
 

 

It was natural for me to be the one who did the dishes since she cooked. She didn't argue and I didn't expect her to. I wiped my hands with a hand towel before walking towards the table. I sat across her, dragging a file with me. "I had a contract drawn up this afternoon. You should read it."
 

 

"Okay" She nodded and took the proffered envelope.
 

 

I pushed another smaller one toward her. "Your first payment." She waited, her fingers not touching the innocent-looking envelope. I could sense hesitancy radiating from her "Take it. It's all documented." I said, encouraging. Still, she didn't touch it. A sigh escaped my mouth. I'm not the most patient person you'll ever meet. "Miss Myoui, unless you take it, we can't go forward." She looked at me, frowning.
 

 

I nudged the envelope. "It's a job, Mina. This is your compensation. Simple. Take it." Another minute of her debating. Finally, she picked it up, not even looking at it. She went through the contract and a few rules that needed to be respected by both parties. She asked a few questions which I answered and explained that the agreement would only last for half a year period due to the Chairman's agenda.
 

 

1. You shall respect privacy.
2. You shall not ask for a physical relationship.
3. If Son Chaeyoung successfully named as the heir of the Son Enterprise, she will hand the position of vice-president to Myoui Mina.
4. In case this confidential contract is disclosed to the third party, the contract shall be annulled and all the privilege Myoui Mina received shall be paid to that effect.
5. As a fiancée, Myoui Mina and Son Chaeyoung has to oblige to their title in public.
6. This agreement will automatically be terminated after a period of six months.
 

 

She vacillated when I handed her a pen, but signed the documents, watching as I did the same. "I have two copies. One for each of us. Once this is over, we can destroy them." I handed her a box. "This is your new cellphone. I programmed my personal number in there so you can reach me. You can text freely on it." She bit her lip, accepting it. I heard her murmuring a thank you.


 

I scratched my brows as I recalled my conversation with the Chairman. I was contemplating on how to jump into this topic "Mina" Gosh, her name was still tasted bitter to call. "You have to give up your apartment and come to live here with me." I said and watched her eyes widen in surprise. "It wasn't my intention but I may have indicated the Chairman that we live together" I chuckled awkwardly and cleared my throat. There wasn't really a way out so it'll better to just go for it."Since we are in this, I'll offer you a new suggestion. Other than my PA in work and fiancée in public, here in this house, I offer you a job as my maid." I grinned, proud of my own proposal to fix this awkwardness.
 

 

"What?" She asked, defeated. Then she shut , her lips pressed together in a thin line, and she facepalmed.


 

Why was she overreacting? Was it so awful to live under the same roof as me? It wasn't like I would do anything to her or what. Was she the only one who hates it? No! I also didn't like the idea of it but what could we do. My house, this big house was heaven compared to her rented apartment. She should feel grateful when she was given the opportunity. "It's not that big of a deal. Depends on how you think of it. You living here only as a maid and I'll pay your salary, twice no triple then regular housekeeper payment."
 

 

She stared into space before answering "Thank you but, I'll just work by hour and you can pay me with the average maid salary." She sighed.
 

 

"Good" I uttered, taking a sip of my coffee. Either way, it was again beneficial for me. To have her home-cooked food as my meal every day. Undoubtedly, it was something she really good in, I already missed her food. I hummed, "How much stuff do you have to move in? Should I hire a moving company for you?"
 

 

She shook her head, her eyes downcast. "Not much, you don't have to. It's only a few boxes."
 

 

I frowned. "No furniture?"


 

"No. Some books, a few personal pieces, and my clothes."
 

 

I spoke without thinking. "You can donate your clothes back to Goodwill since I assume most of them came from there anyway. I'll be purchasing you a new wardrobe." I blew on my hot coffee and took another sip. It was then I realized her cheeks flushed, eyes flashed, sad and angry, but she said nothing. I brushed it off and continued, "I'll pick up your boxes and bring them here when we move forward." I handed her another envelope. "This is your new bank account and debit card. I'll make sure there are appropriate funds in it at all times."
 

 

She accepted the envelope with a shaking hand. I took another piece of paper from the file and slid to across the table."It was a list about me. Things I thought you should know: important dates, my favourite brands, music, foods, general likes and dislikes, fear. With that, we could save some conversation. You should prepare one too, and gives it to me later" She nodded and opened the folded paper, briefly scanning. My ears perked when I heard her soft chuckle.
 

 

"I didn't know you are afraid of dogs and dark" She realized my expression and pressed her lips. I stared at her wordlessly, silencing the topic by my gaze. "I'm sorry"
 

 

I brushed it off and stood up, "Let me show you the place."







 

- to be continued-
________________________________
✒ Jun Kudo