Family, Dinner and Affair

Ransomed Fiancée

  Nayeon

 

 

"I thought you already did, baby"
 

 

She didn't reply and remained quiet for some time. I released my hold and stared at her. Her face flushed red, her teeth clenched and her jaw tightened. She seemed like she wanted to say something, but couldn't. What could she say? It was the truth. I snickered and lightly drew a slander fingertip along her jawline and lifted her gaze to meet mine, "Well? Cat got your tongue?"
 

 

She opened  as if she wanted to say something but closed it again just as the doorbell rang out front. I groaned and looked past her towards the door. Who could that be? I wasn't up for another company tonight. I didn't intend to let whoever that was in but the bell kept ringing. Giving in, I dragged myself off the stairs and went over to the intercom near the door, grumbling  along the way. I'm aware of the quickening footsteps behind as she followed me. We both looked through the intercom. There was a sharp pang of a headache once I saw who was outside, looking extremely furious by her expression, "Great. Just when I thought my day couldn't get any worse" I sighed. This wasn't going to end well.
 

 

"Isn't that---Mrs-----?" Jeongyeon trailed off her words, looking at me curiously. I grabbed her shirt collar, pulled her into my bedroom, "Wha--what are you doing?" She tapped my arm while barely managing herself from tumbling down.
 

 

I pushed her inside, "Don't come out until I say so. Stay here" She looked genuinely confused but I had no time for that. I closed the door and breathed in deeply. It had been years. I knew we would meet again. I knew she was coming. And I knew, she wasn't here for me. My hand started to tremble. I clasped them together to still their involuntary shaking. It would pass. This meeting would happen eventually. I had expected it. There was nothing to be nervous about. Perhaps, perhaps, she missed me, even just a little bit. One could hope, even for the smallest chance.
 

 

I let the woman in. As soon as the front door opened, she lunged towards me, "Mothe---" My words hang in the air as she smacked me across the face. I stared at her for a moment, stunned. "What do you think you are do----" Again, she slapped me. This time, I felt her nails dig into my cheeks like a fishhook. When little lights stopped flashing in front of my eyes, I reached out and dabbed at the wetness I felt on my lips. Blood. The slap stung like a million bees but bruised my ego much more sharply. That was to be expected but never accepted.
 

 

As I slowly recovered from the temporary ringing in my ears, she raised her hand again. I caught her wrist  inches from my cheek and gripped it tight, "We haven't met for 12 years and the first thing you did is to slap me?"
 

 

She shoved my hand away, "Are you trying to ruin Rachel's dream? How dare you interfere with her performance?! Stop having that pathetic jealously towards your little sister's success!" Her anger escalated, and her veins popped out. She was truly enraged. I was right after all. That was it all about.
 

 

I huffed. What was I hoping? This was ridiculous. I met the challenge in her gaze with an angry glare and took a step closer, "The day you left, you are nothing to me. Not worth it to waste my god damn time sabotaging her performance. If people know you paid her way all through that field, what do you think will happen to her reputation? Don't touch me, Madam Park Hara, if you want your precious child to be unharmed"
 

 

She stiffened slightly and looked away. She must have thought that I didn't know about her dirty work. She cleared and dare to face me again, an eyebrow raised, "The management told me that the Im Group was in charge of the venue. And you were a part of the organizing team. The chandelier coincidentally was sponsored and bought under your name. Are you still going to deny it?"
 

 

Chandelier? I bought it? Park Rachel, you exceeded my expectations. Still as cunning as you were. I sighed and turned to the woman across me. Her voice filled with accusation and she spoke with such confidence that I knew, she had made her mind. She wasn't here to know the truth. She was here to dump her anger on me. There was no point to defend myself. There was no point to prove they were wrong. They believed what they wanted to believe. It had always been like that.

 

 

I was the evil one.

 

 

"Think whatever you want. Even if I did, you can't do anything about it. Even if I didn't, you won't believe me" I shrugged and left, not wanting to care about it. To fight tooth and nail whenever it happened was draining and endless. It was much easier to let it go and allow the lie to persist as a permanent blot. It was much easier to let them believe what they wanted to believe than to prove them wrong. Although, it felt horrible, "Walk yourself out" I waved and went to the countertop, pouring myself a glass of whiskey and leaned on it.
 

 

There was dead silence for a moment that lingered longer than I expected. She sighed heavily and just when I thought she was going to leave, she uttered the most despicable thing. Something that had stuck in my mind, something that had been poisoning me.
 

 

"Such a disappointment"
 

 

Her words broke me to my core and tore down one layer of the emotional shield I had been holding up for so many years. Being strong was the only choice I had. However, how much longer I could hold myself? All this time, I had unanswered questions, resentment, anger. How much longer could I keep this bottled up? That familiar feeling rose in me, overwhelming me almost, filling my chest to bursting point. I tipped the glass to my lips and swallowed the amber liquid in one gulp. The heat of the gin burned my throat. Even without looking at her, I knew what kind of expression etched deep on her face. She clicked her tongue and walked away.
 

 

"I understand" I began. She halted, her back facing me. It was that view again. Her back turning away from me. I put down the glass with a loud thud, "You are disappointed in me, but I'm more disappointed at myself" I banged a fist against my chest. The amount of disappointment I felt towards myself was greater than hers. Humiliation, blame, frustration. It all came at once until it was hard to breathe. It felt so heavy. Everything felt so heavy. My eyes were stung with unshed tears as the words choked up in my throat, "I'm in pain, can't you see that?" I asked, it came off as a soft whisper. This was the only chance and would be the only time, I could and would say what I always wanted to say, asked what I had always wanted to ask. From a daughter to her mother.
 

 

"I wanted it as much as you do" Truly. That was the only thing we shared in common. "It was the only thing I wanted to do in life, as well as making you proud and fulfill your dream. I worked so hard until my feet were full of blisters, until various sizes of tape wrapped around my toes, until my calf screaming in pain, until I whimpered in my sleep. I worked so ing hard just to hear compliments and to see you smile, but why can't you give me that? 'You did well', 'I'm proud of you', why is it so hard for you to say that?"
 

 

"Why am I always lacking in your eyes? Why can't I never be enough? When I lost everything and was thrown into that state of hopelessness, why couldn't you hug and comfort me? I was in so much pain yet, you abandoned me. Why? Because I have no use to you anymore? Is that my only value as your child? When I was at the lowest part of my life, you left. Did you know how I can still standing up to this day? Do you even know what I've been through to stay alive? You don't even know anything----"
 

 

"You did well" She interjected. I snapped my head towards her, completely bewildered. No, it couldn't be. She wouldn't say that. She swung around and looked down at me, "That should only be said to those who deserve it. You didn't do well. You failed me. Utterly"
 

 

She totally fooled me. I dropped my head and despite my best efforts, a single tear rolled down my cheek and fell to the counter. I smiled while pouring myself another glass of whiskey, "For a second, I thought you would pretend to be a good mother" That was hilarious. I just burst out laughing, feeling the bead of tears flowing down the corner of my eyes. Casually, I swirled the whiskey in my glass, looking at it intensely, as if along with the ice cubes I could rearrange my thoughts. It actually worked.
 

 

I took a sip and averted my gaze back to her, "Aren't you supposed to earn my favor in order for you to get a portion in the share of father's inheritance? That's the reason why you are back here in South Korea. The alimony isn't enough?" It definitely was more than enough to build an apartment complex.
 

 

"I am entitled to the inheritance. You should be alert. If you keep behaving like this, your father might abandon you. Stop acting like a puppy begging for her owner's attention. You are adult enough" She spat and walked out. I watched as her figure slowly disappeared from my sight. I listened to her footsteps that slowly fade into the distance. 
 

 

"I begged you once. When I was still a child, it didn't stop you from leaving either"
 












 

 

Jeongyeon
 

 

 

This was her bedroom? I supposed it was. A lamp on a bedside table cast a glow across the room. It was huge. My living room could fit her. What should I do? I awkwardly sat on the bed. Her bedroom looked very exquisite. I should wait here. I could do that. It wasn't that hard. I thought so. My hands were fine, but my legs couldn't stop shaking. This didn't feel right. I immediately sprung up then wandered around instead, traveled down the space between them until I came to a bookshelf. My eyes glazed over as I stared at it, running my eyes over the colored spines and letting my mind go blank. It wasn't until I noticed the books weren't placed in alphabetical order.
 

 

Saving myself from boredom, I slowly rearranged the books on her bookshelf, putting them in alphabetical order by title and then switching it to grouping books by the color of the cover. Everything was going smoothly until I stumbled upon a small latch that was slightly tucked behind the right side of the bookcase. Confused, I pushed down on it with my fingers and the latch clicked. Quickly, I backed away as the bookcase moved slightly forward. What was that? It couldn't be. I gripped the side of the heavy bookcase and pulled it outwards. It had indeed revealed a secret room.
 

 

I slowly entered, unable to fathom that I actually stumbled upon this. The ambient light from her bedroom that I had just exited shone just enough for me to make out a large candelabra that was sitting on a table in the back of the room. I moved towards it, grabbed a box of wooden matches that sat infront of it, and lit one up. Carefully, I lit each of the eight candles and blew out what was left of the burnt matchsticks. I then turned to check out the room.
 

 

There were shred of glasses on the floor. If I hadn't worn slippers, I would have been hurt. No, it wasn't just glasses. I crouched down and picked up a huge piece where there was something written on it, "Winners of the 2006 Youth International Ballet Competition" It read. Who was this for? I narrowed my eyes and realized medals and trophies scattering around the floor and some left on the table. Boxes and magazines are stacked at the corner. There was various cropped-out newspaper glued on the wall. I went closer and read; "South Korea Rising star, commonly known as Nami surprised judges after her brilliant performance at Youth America Grand Prix"
 

 

I walked past it and read another one; "12 years old ballet prodigy, Nami reportedly retired from the company. There hasn't been any official statement" I frowned. This was getting more and more confusing. There was a picture but the face was ripped. Why did she keep all of this? Was she a fan? Another headline caught my attention, "Conspiracies of Nami's disappearance from the dancing world"
 

 

Nami? I wondered. It felt familiar. I'd definitely heard about this kid before. My thoughts were cut short by the sound of breaking glass. I flinched and immediately blew off the candle. I closed the secret room with the bookshelf and it was easier than I thought. I just had to push the bookcase back to its place.
 

 

I rushed outside and saw her. She was propping an elbow on the counter, rested her chin in her hand. I watched as she gulped down a bottle of whiskey and quickly dashed to stop her, "Hey, hey, that's enough. You are drunk, you should stop now" I took the bottle off her grip and glanced around,v"Where's your mother?"
 

 

"Mother?" She tilted her head. I arched a brow and once again left in confusion as she suddenly chuckled, "Ah, That woman left"
 

 

Her voice sounded pained. Her face had worn a stricken wounded expression of hurt and fury. Something must have happened. I examined her closely. She didn't look good. "You alright? You look a little pale"
 

 

She nodded, standing up unsteadily, "That's gentle of you to ask but I'm perfectly fine" She turned to me and smiled widely, but why did it look so sad, "Do I look pale? Maybe because my blood is drained by this shameless leaches off of me. You should go-----" She tapped my shoulder and fixed the collar of my shirt, "Try to get close with that woman. She has a huge connection. She could be a great help, even more than me. You should earn her favor. After all, you two are so alike in certain areas.
 

 

What did she mean by that? I watched as she took short steps, swaying lightly from left to right. Her foot accidently kicked the other and I hurriedly came up alongside her, moved my arms around her waist, and caught her as she stumbled hard against me, "I'll assist you" I was about to draw her up but she resisted. Her nails dug on my arm.
 

 

"Don't be so kind. I can see right through you" She raised her head and looked up at me. Her drunken eyes glazed over, "You'll get what you want from me, so this unnecessary concern and acting are not needed. Stop being so hypocritical in front of me. I feel disgusted"
 

 

I couldn't say anything to it. Before anything, the first thing I felt was annoyance and unfairness that she took my intention wrongly. I had a lot to rebuke but somehow I couldn't. The words wouldn't leave my mouth. She bumped me with her shoulder and paused, "You really are the lowest of the low, Yoo Jeongyeon" She muttered and walked away, leaving me speechless.
 

 

I stared at her, disappearing into her room. What happened? She had never looked this---clear. Her emotions were raw. It was evident on her face. I closed my eyes briefly. That didn't have anything to do with me. What happened to her has nothing to do with me. It was better not to indulge myself in her personal matters. As she said before; Let stay as strangers and separate as strangers. I made a beeline towards the front door and clasped the doorknob.















 

*    *    *    *

Nayeon


 

Light shone through the glass windows bathed my face in a red light. I groaned and rose up unsteadily, leaning against the headboard. Then it hit me. The jarring feeling that actually came with the start of a hangover, the dread off knowing I would spend the morning with the most mind-splitting headache. I woke up with the worst hangover I'd had in a while, just as I anticipated. My face felt swollen, like I had been stung by a whole wasp of nest in my sleep. My mouth felt like it was full of cotton, everything inside me screaming for a glass of water.
 

 

I made my way to the table beside my bed where there was a jar of water, then poured myself a glass. It only registered to me I had dropped it when I heard it crash against the marble flooring. I stumbled backward, my foot slipping on one of the glass shards, sending me falling backward onto the floor. My head swam, stars erupted in my vision, and I had to blink for a while before I could see clearly again. Pain radiated from my foot and I could feel blood there. It didn't matter as I just stayed on the floor and stared out at the blurred memories from the night before. My head pounding so hard I felt the injury only distantly.
 

 

Suddenly, the door swung open with a loud thud, followed by the clonk of heavy footsteps. The sound snapped me out of my trance and I quickly grabbed a long thick piece of the broken glass, hid it behind my back. Intruder? At this time? I sat still unmoved, closing my eyes when I felt the footsteps coming closer. The light coming from the window, that blinded and burned my skin suddenly disappeared. That was when I knew, a person was right in front of me. In a split second, I opened my eyes and lunged forward with my hand swung, aiming for the heart but failed as the person dodged, scratching his/her arm instead.
 

 

"Hey, hey hey. Easy. It's me" The person's held my shoulder and I finally had the chance to see his/her face. With a disheveled hair, pink floral apron wrapped around her waist, and a spatula inside her front pocket. It was my fiancee. Yoo Jeongyeon. I deadpanned, throwing away the glass and sat on the bed. I completely forgot about her existence. She looked at me worriedly, "I heard somethi----" Her gaze fell on the shattering glass and immediately knelt. She lifted my foot, resting it on her thighs as she inspected it,  "Are you alright? What happened?"
 

 

I vaguely remember, she was here last night. She hadn't she left yet? I stared down at her, "Why are you still here?"
 

 

Rather than answering, she stood up and ran outside. A moment later, she returned with a medical kit. I watched her rummaging through the medical kit for disinfecting tools. She took my foot again and anointed each cut and scrape than to my hand, "Do you feel better now?" She asked when she was done applying a fresh sticking plaster on each wound. 
 

 

"I will be if your face isn't the first thing I see early in the morning" I said nonchalantly, receiving an annoyed expression from her. I squinted my eyes and stared at the plaster she used. It was funny-looking. Rather than a normal plaster, it was a white koala designed bandage, "That plaster---" She looked up and waited as I contemplated whether it was important enough for me to mention it, "----is hideous"
 

 

"You hold grudge against non-living things too?" She spoke sarcastically.
 

 

I rolled my eyes and saw the scratch on her arm, "That should be treated as well"
 

 

She tidied up the kit and closed it with a thud, showing her displeasure. I snatched the kit from her, tugged the collar of her shirt and yanked her onto the bed. She gasped in surprise, stumbling forward and fell, laying on her stomach, "Talk. You can just talk. No need for violence. Jesus Christ" She complained as she sat properly on the bed, next to me. I gave her a hard stare, warning her not to move. She raised her arms in surrender. It only took me a few seconds to treat her wound and she seemed amazed. Before she had the opportunity to ask, I silenced the topic. Again, she looked fairly dissatisfied and annoyed. She glanced at her arm and unrolled her sleeves. With a huff, she turned to me, "Why are you acting like someone is going to kidnap you?"
 

 

"I could prepare a list of people who wanted me to die" If I truly murdered, there would be endless list of suspects for sure. Faces of people who wished for my destruction and death flashed through my mind; colleagues, old friends, rivals, and even those who I called family.
 

 

She shook her head with a judging look, "With that personality, it isn't a surprise"
 

 

Insulting me. This long legs , "I can kill people too" I smiled through my gritted teeth.
 

 

She coughed and looked away. She was quiet for a while. Hence, I followed her gaze and that she was staring at my bookshelf. Did she know? I'm sure I'd closed the room unless she discovered it accidentally. She hummed and averted her gaze back to me, "Do you remember anything from last night?"
 

 

She was here last night for sure. That was the only thing I could recall. I shrugged, "Barely. Why?
 

 

"Nothing" She nodded. What was with that face? That pained and upset expressions. I must have said something. Whatever it was, once said, there was no way to take it back and I'd never regret my words. Thus, I didn't bother to ask. "Oh, I see you never take off the necklace" She suddenly pointed to the golden chains around my neck.
 

 

I took a hold of the emerald butterfly pendant, "It's not because of you, it's because it's a nice necklace"
 

 

She beamed a wide grin, "That is a greater compliment, mother designed and created that. That's one of a kind"
 

 

Her mother. Chaeyoung's step mother. She already passed away when they were still kids. I only learned about it from Chaeyoung who slipped her words while drinking. This necklace must be precious. As expected, this gift was burdening.
 

 

"It just so happens that I've cooked some congee. Let's eat together" She invited though I suspected that she must have done something with the food. Threw a pack of salt? That was possible. I'd experienced it. She cleaned up the broken glass from the floor and brought me a slipper. I'd heard rumors about how kindhearted and caring she was. Maybe that rumor wasn't just a rumor. I knew that all along but to this extent after all the things I had said and done. This kindness would be her biggest weakness.
 

 

We were heading to the kitchen when my phone rang. I looked at the caller and immediately answer it, "Yes father?"
 

 

"Meet me at Blue Plate Restaurant. I've served a table. We will have dinner with your mother and younger sister. Bring your fiancee with you"
 

 

Dinner with that witch, "I can't go"
 

 

"It's an order"
 

 

"Father-----"
 

 

"You are still not over it? It has been years Nayeon. You can't avoid them forever. Hara is still your mother and Rachel is your little sister. We were once a family."
 

 

Family? I stared blankly at the white wall across me, "We never were, father. Fine, I'll go but I won't be long" I ended the call and turned to the curious and confused woman beside me, "Free your schedule. We will have dinner outside. I want you to dress nic----" I examined her and realized she was very consistent. The shirt that she was wearing was the same with the one she wore the last time I saw her,"---Is that the only shirt you have? Why do you wear the same shirt whenever I see you?"
 

 

She looked down at her shirt and tried to get smart with me, "It's not the same. Today, it's light blue. Last time was purple."
 

 

I sighed. She was hopeless, "You need some retail therapy. Come with me today"













 


 

Jeongyeon

 

 

She dragged me to follow her and I had no choice but to obey. We drove toward Eurwangni Beach from Seoul. I glanced at the GPS screen. The destination was Dyan's Dress Shoppe, located on the Eurwangni Beach Boulevard in the remodeled basement of red brick house. The entrance to the shop was found at the bottom of a steep driveway. The shop owner, immediately greeted us. She introduced herself as Joy. She hugged Nayeon as if she were a relative, not just a customer. I quietly watched their interactions, feeling quite out of place.
 

 

"It's great to see you again. You look wonderful. Is this one you've been telling me about?" Joy asked, glancing at me. I smiled and lightly bowed my head.
 

 

"Yes, this is Yoo Jeongyeon. She----" Her voice trailed off as she turned to me. A small smile formed on her lips. She softly swept a few strands of hair away from my forehead. "---My special person. I thought I'd drag her along today. We are going to have a date but her outfits irritate me" She said with a restrained voice. Joy chuckled while looking at me up and down. I glanced around not meeting her eyes as awkwardness consumed me. This was somehow nerve-wracking.
 

 

"She does need a bit of a touch-up" Joy nodded. Should I feel embarrassed? It did feel a little uncomfortable though.


 

"Let her pick her own out for herself first" Nayeon pushed me towards Joy and settled in the waiting room. There was a red velvet sofa at the center of the room. She sat down and leaned her back against the couch, twisting her hair locks around her finger. Her legs were crossed as her eyes focused on the magazine next to her.
 

 

I turned my attention back to Joy who had this suspicious smile as if I was a test subject in an experiment. She locked her arm around mine and pulled me into the showroom, located one step up and through a door in the right corner of the waiting room. It was filled with racks of perfectly coordinated dresses and pants suits, shelves with sweaters, and a display case of costume jewelry. A floor-to-ceiling mirror took up one entire wall. Nayeon was sitting across the mirror, seemingly engaged with the magazine she was holding.
 

 

This store was surely unique. I had never been here. It only catered to one customer at a time, "For now, you should dress yourself and wear what you wanted" Joy said and guided me around. I chose some that I usually wear outside. Once I was done, Joy led me to the center of the room and made me stood in the stall. She closed the curtain and I manage to assure her that I could do it by myself. She agreed and waited outside whilst I quickly change. It was a pair of suit that I picked on my own. It wasn't that simple, not that extravagant either. It was neat and classy.
 

 

I flicked open the curtain. Nayeon looked up from her reading material, and stared at me expressionless. What was that supposed to me? "I wanted to go black and white" I explained, pertaining to the half black--half white colouring of the two-tone suit.
 

 

She shook her head, "What are you? yin and yang? Pass" The question had Joy broke into laughter who was standing near the sofa. I pursed my lips, a little ashamed and quickly flung the curtain closed and change into a new one. I was confident with this. The previous one might be too formal. This wasn't too casual, not good serious either. It emitted a warm approach. This would be fine. And so I thought to myself until she said, "Red plain shirt, white jeans, white trench coat. Are you a walking Japanese flag? Pass"
 

 

She complained and complained and complained. A series of 'pass' from her never come to an end. It continued until all of the dresses lined up on the hooks emptied. Not even one was approved. At the last attempt, she sighed defeatedly and brushed her hair back. She was frustrated, so did I. Selfish woman. Joy kept glancing from one to another. We both waited until my hot-tempered fiancee stood up. Her heels clacked on the hardwood floors as she walked down the line of blouses and pants. I was trailing her behind. She hand picked it herself, lightly touching the sleeve of the one she chose. Joy and her assistant immediately separated it to a different section.
 

 

"Try all of this" She ordered, looking at me while pointing to the new rack of clothes she had just finished choosing.
 

 

I scanned it briefly and none of it was to my liking, "I don't really----"
 

 

"Shut up, fashion terrorist. Put it on now" She cut off and walked away. She always did whatever she pleased, whenever and wherever she pleased without regard for anyone else. Before I could reply to her sarcastic remarks, Joy pulled me to the stall again. I had no choice but to keep this going. I'd tried maybe twenties attire and finally gained her approval. She looked satisfied at some of the clothes then slowly nodded her head, "The bad thing is, you look awfully awkward. The good thing is, you have quite a nice proportion"
 

 

"If you are going to have a handbag, buy one that coordinates with your hair. For example, blondes should choose medium hues of brown and taupe" She explained, looking through the glass shelves, lining up right from the floor all the way to the ceiling. Inside were handbags with designer labels. "Dark brunettes should opt dark brown or black. Of course, pop colors and metallics always work. This one" She motioned at one specific handbag. The whole process took near three hours, until she had finally made the final selections. We went to the front desk for payment and she stared at me, I stared at her.
 

 

"Pay" She said. I blinked rapidly and nodded. Yes, of course. It was my clothes. Of course, I should pay it. The total of price had my jaw dropped, my legs weakened. I snapped my head towards her and she had this annoying smile. She definitely did that on purpose. I reluctantly handed my card to the cashier with a trembling hand. We bid farewell to Joy and soon were on our way. Shopping bags on my lap and almost fourty millions won poorer, with regrets—though everything I bought looked great and she was a professional in this field, it was too expensive. Her words were valid. Every outfit she wore looked like it was taken off a perfectly curated magazine board. Still, she dragged me around as if she was going to pay. Senseless, insensitive, woman.
 

 

She parked on a side street just around the corner from Oregano's Restaurant, an Italian restaurant operated by two brothers whose menu consisted of recipes they had learned from their immigrants mother. It was lavishly decorated. The walls were earthy tones like gold and red-brown. It had murals of canals and gondolas. Linen cloth was placed as the table-cover. I usually arranged a meeting here if the client was from Latin America or European Country.
 

 

We ordered and ate in silence until I was reminded by today's event, "This is unnecessary. As long as you are neat, I think its fine"
 

 

She sighed, put down her cutlery and patted her lips with the napkin, "How you dress is how you would be addressed. Someone with a poor taste of fashion won't understand. Clothing affects perception, Miss Yoo Jeongyeon"

 

 

So full of herself.

 

 

We stopped at her office and she told me to wait in the cafeteria. Why did she have to ask me to wait? I could've just rest at home. She definitely did it on purpose. She was taking so much time. Bored, I left the building and wandered, leaving a message behind to avoid facing the possible wrath. A small antique store caught my eyes. If one weren't focus, they would've missed it since it was partially hidden. I entered and as expected, there was no customers. The store was clean and friendly and comfortable. The lighting features were shiny brass and the carpet was a lush spring green. There was a showcase filled with fabulous accessories. I stalked closer and saw a beautiful hairpin.
 

 

My thoughts immediately wandered to her, Nayeon. She had helped me today. It was just a token of gratitude. The owner was an elderly woman and was dressed in a traditional Chinese dress. She was so lovely and we had a chat before I left the store with my purchase.
 

 

"Here, a gift to show my gratitude" I handed her for box as she just finished with her works. She scoffed and was about to take it when I pulled my hand back. Maybe this wasn't needed. She was being sarcastic, "Don't take it if you don't wa----" She snatched the box and leaned closer, tapping it against my chest. "A 'thank you' would be nice" I smiled. Without saying anything, she walked away, flipping her hair sharply into my face. I regretted buying that for her.
 

 

By the time night had fallen and a near-full moon shone, I prepared myself for the dinner. It was just a dinner but what made it different was, I would be seeing her mother and younger sister. I'd heard things about their family but I didn't want to interfere. It was a matter between them.  I parked the car infront of her condominium building and waited. She came out of the front door of the building and walked closer. I watched her through the rear view. She was wearing a white dress that seemed to flow around her like a cloud. She still had the emerald butterfly necklace with a handkerchief tied around her neck. Her black hair, straight and silky, fell to her shoulders.
 

 

I stepped out and opened the door for her. I assisted assisted her into the front passenger seat and closed it, not bothering to wait for a 'thank you' as it would never come. We started towards Blue Plate Restaurant. It took only a couple of minutes. The restaurant was surrounded by high glass walls. They were already arrived, settling at the center of the room. It seemed like Mr Im had booked the entire place seeing how empty it was. And it looked like they noticed us.
 

 

"Put it on me, now" Nayeon randomly uttered as she turned to me. She then dug a hairpin from her handbag. It was the one I gifted her earlier. She turned around, her back facing me. I sighed, we were already late. It was better not to waste time trying to reason with her action. Thankfully, I knew how since mother loved this hairstyle. I gathered all of her hair in my left hand then held it with your thumb and index finger. Using my right, I took her hair all the way around and kept wrapping it around the base. I made a loop over the knot in the middle and gently pushed the hairpin through her hair.
 

 

"Done" I exclaimed, putting the lock of hair that had loosened behind her ear. She nodded and locked her arm with mine. I was about to start walking when I felt her soft lips pressed slightly against my cheeks.
 

 

"Smile, baby" She warned through gritted teeth, a forced smile carved on her face. I mentally rolled my eyes and smiled widely. We entered the restaurant and sat down. The table was rounded. Mrs Im was across me whilst a young lady that I assumed, Nayeon's younger sister sat across her. Meanwhile, Mr Im was inbetween me and Mrs Im. The dinner went quite smoothly and we were engaged in a small talk. There were questions thrown here and there and I managed to answer it without problems. Mrs Im praised on how good we looked together and we made a great couple. I replied with a shy laugh. Her compliments however felt like a mockery.
 

 

"Jeongyeon unnie, you are so sweet and handsome" Rachel rested her chin on the palm of her hand, and looked into me with frank, wide-opened eyes. I smiled in response. I learned that the younger sister's name was Rachel and she was a ballerina. Hearing that, my thoughts diverted to the secret room I discovered in Nayeon's house. Maybe it was about her younger sister. Rachel turned her attention to her sister and eyed the latter for a long time. She suddenly gasped, "Woah, unnie! That's a really pretty necklace. I have to attend an interview tomorrow morning. Can I borrow it for a while?"
 

 

I glanced to my side. Nayeon was taking her time cutting the steak, totally unbothered. It didn't look like she was going to answer. Ever since we set foot here, she hadn't said a single word. Rachel had a grin on her face and it grew wider. What was wrong with this siblings? She hummed and turned to me, "Jeongyeon unnie, you live near Imago Shopping Mall right? After my interview, can you show me around the place? This is my first time visiting Seoul after ten years. Please
unnie"
 

 

I was okay with it though it baffled me. How did she know where I lived? I was discreet about my personal life. She couldn't have found it on the internet or any article. Nevertheless, I nodded with a smile, "Yes, of c----"
 

 

"I don't share my thing with anyone" The voice next to me, interjected. I snapped my head towards her. She finally said something. What did she meant by that?
 

 

Rachel chuckled in amusement, "Jeongyeon unnie is a thing?"
 

 

Putting her utensils away, Nayeon placed it down a bit too loudly. The loud clink of the utensils naturally got Mrs and Mr Im's attention, "It won't be nice for her to be seen going out with anyone alone. I don't want my reputation to be tainted by some scandalous rumor that might arise"
 

 

Rachel hummed, nodding her head slowly then giggled, "It already does" She shrugged, pointing the fork at me, "Jeongyeon unnie was seen going out with someone alone a few days ago. They were even holding hands and went to many places. It looks like a date to me. Who is she? Jeongyeon unnie" She stared at me with curiosity.
 

 

It was the day I went out with Mina. I felt all the blood drained from my face. I knew what she was pertaining to. This could harm Mina. I felt the hard stare Mr Im was giving me while Mrs Im had small smile tugged at the corner of her lips. Why didn't I think about this? I had to come up with a believable excuse. I mustn't involve Mina in this, "Rachel, that-----"
 

 

"Ah, I remember now. It was Chaeyoung's unnie fiancee, Myoui Mina. There was even pictures of them" She gasped dramatically as if she just came into realization,her eyes widening in feigned disbelief, "No way! Unnie" She exclaimed, "Isn't that even more scandalous?" The room went silent in anticipation of another response. I slowly put down my utensils and clasped my hand under the table. My legs tapping anxiously against the floor. I glanced to my side and saw my fiancee trailing her finger around the rim of her wineglass. She looked like she was lost in thought, gazing into nothingness.
 

 

"Rachel" Mrs Im called out. She looked briefly at me before averting her eyes to her daughter, "You shouldn't listen to those baseless rumors"
 

 

"Jeongyeon, I won't tolerate a second mistake." Mr Im said. His voice cold and filled with threat.
 

 

It was never a good idea to provoke him. He was the most dangerous man to anyone who challenged him. I bowed, "My apologies, Mr Im. I will keep that in mind"
 

 

Nayeon suddenly stood up, holding a napkin to her face, "Excuse me," She said, eyeing the woman across her before heading to the ladies' room. Rachel grinned mischievously and kept her gaze on her sister until she disappeared down the hall. There seemed to be a complex relationship between them. I was proven right when Rachel also excused herself.



 









 

Nayeon

 

 

I walked over to the sink and stared at my reflection. A moment later, the door opened, followed by a loud clicking sound sound of a woman's heels. I ran the faucet and washed my hands, then turned off the hot water, and let the cool remain on and course over my hands, "You must be really interested in my life that you even have people tailing around my fiancee" I said, glancing to the mirror. She was re-applying her lipstick.
 

 

"It was merely coincidence. I saw them while hanging out with my old friends. That was a pretty sight to watch. They looked radiantly happy" She looked at her reflection in the mirror before her gaze met mine. She gave a little chuckle, "If I didn't know any better, I would have thought that they were newlyweds couple"
 

 

I turned off the faucet then pulled out a wet tissue and wiped the water off my hands, "It'd be nice if I don't see that as an headline news tomorrow" Once my hands had dried, I stared at my long fingernails which were lacquered in a shade of red.
 

 

"I'm not the only one who saw them. They were hundreds of people around that day. There was a street food festival. Surely, someone else other than me noticed them. How are you going to stop them from leaking the news to the press? It's sensational issue even"
 

 

"That's none of your concern. You just have to keep your mouth shut"
 

 

"And if I don't?" She turned to face me, crossing her arms, "Unnie, I know you are influential enough to block any information from being leaked. Why do you look so troubled?"
 

 

This little . She wouldn't give in that easily. She always chose the hard way. Walking towards the door, I locked it and breathed out, completely pissed, "Rachel you've never made any progress with your petty trick. It doesn't bother me back then, but now, it starts to get really irritating" I put a hand on her shoulder and she let out a little yelp. When she tried to get away, I grasped her tightly. When she tried to pry my hand with her own, I dug my fingers into her flesh and payed her roughly against the wall.
 

 

I held her chin with one hand while the other pulling out the hairpin from my hair, letting the dark waves tumble over my shoulders. I looked down into her panic stricken face, "Aside from me, you are the direct descendant of father's estate. There would be a large portion of inheritance falls under your name. That means, I have enough reason to kill you. There are no CCTV around, there are no eye witnesses. We were in arguments and you suddenly attacked me, I only defended myself. That what I would say as my statement. Everyone would have to believe that. Why? Because the dead can't speak. Do you really think, I'm unable to harm you?"
 

 

"Have you gone insane?!" She fought. Her high pitched scream was deafening, "Do you think you'll be able to get away with this?"
 

 

"Yes. I will. You certainly must have forgotten who I am and what I'm capable of. Should I show you?" I held the hairpin's pointing blade against her neck, moved it slightly upwards and to the right, "Carotid, 12 seconds" I dragged it lower and to the left, "Subclavian artery, 3.5 seconds. You want to scream for help? It will take them at least five minutes to tear this door down. While I only need a minute. Pick. Which one will it be?"
 

 

A lone tear or anger and shame rolled down her cheeks. Was that supposed to make me feel guilty? Her chin trembled, "P-please, stop. Please. Stop it, you physco!" She yelled.
 

 

I leaned closer and pecked her cheek, smiling, "That was a joke, Rachel. How could I kill my one and only little sister? If I really wanted you to die, you would have already been buried six feet under long time ago" I took off the scarf on my neck and gently wrapped it around her. The seconds I pulled away, she immediately fell to the floor, "In other words, you are here because I allow you to. Don't forget that"
 

 

"You have always been unkind and mean to me. I was never a sister to you but a rival that threatened your position, as a daughter, as a successor. You have always hated me. It was all your fault. You made me like this. I didn't abandon you, Unnie. You pushed me away. I have to live a life that I have never wanted just to survive. You put me through this. It was all because of you." She spoke. Her voice overflowing with hatred and anger. I left and walked out.
 

 

She might be right. No, she was right. After that incident, I was too devastated with my loss and suffering that I had neglected her. Truthfully, I was envy. Everything that I used to had, now she had it all, even my family. I despised her, envy her. I believed I was the victim and blamed everyone, including her who was trapped in crossfire.
 

 

Still, it was too late for us to fix this broken relationship, right Rachel?
 

 

Leaving the ladies's room, I could see them from a distance. This dinner was anything but dinner. Jeongyeon seemed to notice my presence. Her eyes met mine. I spun around and left, entering the car. She walked out of the restaurant after a few minutes and climbed into the driver seat, "Why are you leaving just like that? Your father is furious"
 

 

I sunk back in my seat and took a deep, slow breath. Crossed my legs, closed my eyes. Today was pretty exhausting. I recalled the topic earlier and the problems it might cause. It looked like I had to take care of that too. My good for nothing fiancee was so----sighed, "I've told you. I don't expect anything, just don't create problems. An affair with your step-sister's fiancee. Birds of a feather flock together." I snickered, turning my head to face her, "Have you thought of the consequences?"
 

 

"There's nothing between her and me"
 

 

"That is not how the public sees it" I rebuked. Did she not know how this world worked? Her recklessness could bring harm not only to herself but everyone around her, "I don't care about your relationship with her. It's none of my business. But this isn't a playground. If you want to play around, break the engagement. I have no time to clean the mess you made. If this continues, you leave me with no choice"
 

 

"Don't touch her" She said through clenched jaw. Her face flushed red. The veins in her forehead sticking out. I arched an eyebrow and glanced at her hand, clutching the steering wheel tightly. Her knuckles turned white. This reaction was interesting, "You have feelings for her" I concluded.
 

 

"Yes. I have feelings for her" She admitted, leaning closer as she pointed a finger to my chest, "Something that someone like you will never understand. Someone who's undeserving of unconditional love. Someone that has to please others materialistically in order to be loved. Someone that uses and manipulate other just to receive affections. Isn't that a shame to your so called prestigious family?" Shocked by her own harsh words, she slammed her lips together. 
 

 

I smiled. She must have forgotten why she was here in the first place. Why we were in this situation? I slapped her hand away, "You shouldn't speak carelessly. That someone is the only person that can help you right now. I'll handle this matter. You'd better keep your distance from her. It's the best for everyone"
 

 

"If I did? What are you going to do to her? Pouring a glass of wine over her head is not enough? What are you planning to do next? Push her off a building? Lock her inside an abandoned warehouse? Spread false rumors about her?" She uttered with a snicker.
 

 

I hummed, nodding, "That's a good suggestion. Maybe, all of them"
 

 

"My Dear," She leaned in closer and towered over me. One hand gripping the edge of my headrest as I was trapped beneath her, "I know you are good with words. You know your worth and status. People like me are less than dirt in your eyes. I am at your feet. You can ridicule and humiliate me as much as you want. But please, have mercy on me. Do not ask me to bear more than I can endure. If you keep pushing me, if you shove me to the edge, I will destroy you, Im Nayeon. For my loved ones, I'm not hesitant to hurt you. Don't make me lose my mind" Her eyes quietly lazing with fury. She leaned the passenger seat back a few notches and fixed my dress, "Take some sleep"
 

 

My mouth twitched as I found her barely suppressed anger amusing, "Cute" I mumbled to myself.







 









 

  - to be continued-
_______________________________________