Sweetheart

Ransomed Fiancée

Mina

 

 

Upon waking, I burrowed myself into the warm, silky sheets. The puffy feather mattress and a pyramid of cotton pillows felt truly different than the cheap futon I usually used. Though, I still preferred the futon for its familiarity. I blinked and gazed out at the horizon; its vivid light extended across a rosy sky. The curtains were drawn showing a sliding window wall. I didn't notice it last night. I stretched my arms and walked towards it, slid the window open that reveals a balcony. Raising my head, it seemed that the dawn has come. I could hear the sound of birds chirping, flit from branch to branch. The peace felt in those fleeting seconds becomes eternal as I draw the deepest breath and lose myself in the morning view. The air smells of woods and earthy. It was refreshing.
 

 

Compared to my morning in the apartment I used to live, I was greeted by factory noise, engines, processors and other manufacturing equipment. While the air filled with the bad smell from the trash dumps and sewage. I'd complained a few times but who would want to hear the voice of a woman that even struggle to pay her rent. It would be nice if the authority could work out that place since I personally love how artsy the area was. When the sun rose, you could see art galleries scattered around each neighbourhood and streets lined with street art. The building design was old-fashioned but it looked astonishingly antique and decorated with flowers and bushes. Most of the residence was a street artist, street performer, street musicians. They either a poor young aged artist with big dreams, those rich kids who were chased out from their house because of their ambition and uality against their family, the orphan who used their hobby as a part-time to pay their expenses, a failed musicians, retired gangsters. While, there was me who tried to fit myself of the community.
 

 

Thankfully, they accepted me. They were not harsh towards newcomers but welcomed them with a warm approach and hugs. Every Sunday, we would have a small meeting where all of them would perform together, having fun. I could only go back to dancing because of their encouragement. The would teach me how to do art graffiti, play music while the gangster offered to teach me how to use a gun but...well, I'm happy with martial arts. Guns weren't needed.
 

 

I sighed. I couldn't meet them anymore. Maybe I can visit there every Sunday, hopefully, Ms Son allow me. I walked in and my gaze fell upon a white envelope sat on the desk. It was Ms Son's list. She told me to make one for her and I just remembered hadn't. I quickly sat on the chair and decided to finish reading hers first before writing mine. On the second page was her dislike. My eyes widened as I scanned the paper. Her first five dislikes had me gaped in disbelief.


 

Dislikes:

1. Myoui Mina
2. Japanese 
3. Plain/boring humans
4. Weak humans
5. Annoying humans
6. Peanuts
7. Migraines
8. Exercise
9. The dentist
10. Bad coffee
11. Ignored
12. Confinement
13. Humidity
14. Bees
15. Boys/dude/man/dixk

 

 

She dislike Japanese? When her previous previous flings was a Mangaka. I knew when she wrote Japanese it was straightforwardly pointing at me, not that she hated Japanese in general, she just hated a woman named Myoui Mina who 'coincidentally' a Japanese. I heaved a deep sigh and took a white paper and a pen. Writing my list and also my dislike for her to know. I had no idea where the courage suddenly comes, it felt as if my hand had its own mind.


 

Dislikes:

1. Son Chaeyoung
2. Korean
3. Rude humans
4. Vile humans
5. Ignorant humans
6. Beondegi/Pupa/Silkworm pupae
7. Natto
8. Cigarettes/smokers
9. Sarcasm
10. Bad words
11. Horror
12. Attention
13. Scary rides
14. Medicine
15. Syringe

 

 

I pressed my lips. This was an act of digging your own grave. Continuing, I wrote my likes, fears, and additional information regarding my preference. When I'd done, I sealed it inside a white envelope and momentarily put it in my dress pocket. I washed my face then went downstairs to cook. It was almost seven sharp, I predicted she was already awake. My step halted my I caught her figure holding a nozzle as she watered the plant with a garden hose. She was already fully dressed and neat. From the window, I could see her mouthing something as if she was talking to someone. I went nearer and stood behind the curtain, that was when I spotted my dog, Ray three meters away from her. He was on a leash, tied to his small house.
 

 

"What are you looking at? Is it your first time seeing a pretty lady?" Ms Son asked, smirking as she faced Ray. My dog was obediently staring at her without moving. I was also weirded by him but Ms Son narcissism got me even more surprised. I can't believe she was having this conversation with Ray. An involuntarily chuckle escaped my lips. "What? It's your first time. Well, I understand that since your owner is plain and boring but I do admit that she's....." She glanced to Ray and cleared . Snickering, she diverted her attention back to the garden. "Anyway, my beauty is not something you can see forever, so look while you can"
 

 

I was wondering what she was about to say. But it must be another hideous form of insult and its better for me not to hear it. Shrugging it off, I went to the kitchen and made a simple breakfast. She seemed satisfied with the food I made, though she didn't say anything, I took it as a good sign.  While eating, I remembered the list I wrote about me, minutes ago. I dug the envelope out from my pocket and slid it across the table. She raised her brow before she unsealed and briefly read it. I'm starting to regret what I had written in my dislike, she probably will chase me out and order me to eat in a different table. Yet, to my surprise, I heard her chuckle. She folded the paper and put it away then continue eating, as if I hadn't just insulted her in the paper. The feeling of relief didn't stay permanently, my mind soon darted to the concern and anxiety I had about all this agreement. I didn't know if I could do it. How love works and what should I do, what I shouldn't do.
 

 

I mean, I never had boyfriend/girlfriend and never interested to anyone. Well, except that one bad boy. My crush when I was around eleven or twelve years old. He harshly rejected me with insult and sarcasm. Sharp tongue, rude, vile just like the woman in front of me right now. I'd never seen that boy anymore since we moved to Japan. I really thought the boy was going to be my future husband. Funny, how I really liked him back then. But, childhood lovers and adult lovers, I believe were two different things. I cleared my throat to gain Ms Son's attention and succeeded. "Do you really trust me to act like we're---" the word stuck in my throat "---lovers.
 

 

She put down her utensil and wiped with the napkin, "One thing I do know about you Miss My---Mina, is you work hard. You'll do a good job because its what you do. You're a pleaser, you'll act exactly the way I need you to act because you want to earn the money you're being paid"
 

 

I didn't say anything and only stared at her. It wasn't a compliment, I'm sure of it. She was just saying, I had to figure it out and work hard since she paid me for the job. I didn't know how to feel about it, sadness and humiliated, maybe. But she wasn't wrong, I wanted this. I signed up for this. It was my own decision. I needed the money and that was the exact reason I agree with this craziness. For money.
 

 

She picked up her coat and stood up "I'm heading out first. There are a spare key and a pass card for the building on the hall table. Your name is already added to the tenant list and the doormen won't hassle you. You should introduce yourself to them, just to be sure. According to the paper and files, you've been living here for three months"
 

 

She took a black box from the drawer in the living room and handed it to me."Here, car keys. Do you fancy Porches or Mercedes?" She waited for me to talk but I was still processing what she had just said. How did she actually manage to prepare all the files and paper when it was still eight o'clock in the morning. She shrugged and added, "You can choose one of the cars in the garage. Use that for now, until I buy you a new one. In the meantime, look for a car that you like"
 

 

I blinked. She was no longer in sight. I almost forgot, I was talking to Ms Son Chaeyoung. She wanted it, she gets it. She was efficient when it came to work. I glanced to the clock wall, one hour before entering the office. I quickly finished the meal and washed the dishes. I changed to formal attire and ignored the car keys she gave, I'm not fond of luxury cars. It attracted attention and I disliked attention. I decided to take a bus and searched for a car that was mostly used in Korea plus cheap. I didn't need anything expensive, as long as the car can move I'm fine with anything. It wouldn't last forever with me either, after six months, I'm returning it.



 



 

*  *  *  *

I glanced to my wristwatch, the arms pointing at eight o'clock in the evening. I sighed and started to organize the files and packed my things. My movement stopped when I saw a pair of heel in front of me, I lifted up my head and saw Ms Son staring intently at me. I blinked, did I do something wrong? She looked like she was in deep thinking. My gaze fell upon a maroon box that she held tightly in her fist before she put it inside her pocket. "Is there something else I can help with,  Ms Son?"
 

 

"Chaeyoung." She corrected "I won't repeat it again Mina. Drop the honorific"
 

 

Her voice was firm with slight irritation. It was hard to get used to it. I'd been calling her Miss and she was my aggressive boss for two years and now she was suddenly my lover. How can I adapt to these changes easily? Defeated, I nodded. "I'm sorry, Chae...Chaeyoung" From the corner of my eyes, I caught a glimpse of her lips curving into a small smile. When I'd fully raised my chin, her face went stoic, gone was the smiling I thought appeared for a millisecond. Maybe it was never there. I was hallucinating.
 

 

"Have dinner with me" She said, more likely commanding.
 

 

I won't be wasting my energy and time negotiating with her and just followed since she was a persistent type of a person but, the problem laid when I actually already promised a dinner with someone else. She never argued with her fists---at least as far as I know---but her words packed a powerful punch. Carefully spoken and venomous. Her words had an air of finality to them and no matter how hard I or anyone railed against them, nothing would change her mind. That was what I learnt about her all this time. Ms So---I mean Chaeyoung won't let me go. Still, it's worth a try, "I have an appointment with someone" I informed but she didn't bug, and only arched her brows.
 

 

"With who?"
 

 

"Ms Yoo" I answered truthfully. Though, I think my statement makes it worst. A look of great bitterness suddenly swept across her face. I didn't understand, I knew she and Jeongyeon was a rival but weren't they siblings. Why were they despised each other so much? It was not that I wanted to meddle on their business, but this put me in an awkward and confusing situation. I swallowed hard as I waited for her to speak, it was clear to me how her cold fury burnt with dangerous intensity and she was trying to compose herself. Chaeyoung definitely won't let me go.
 

 

The sound of the elevator opening broke the silence, then a voice called, "Mina, are you ready?" I bit my lips. Oh God. Why did you have to appear now Jeongyeon?
 

 

Chaeyoung didn't acknowledge her presence but kept staring at me. "Cancel the appointment or what so ever. You are going with me" Her stony glare carved into her dark eyes and that was the last message I needed. Nothing I said afterwards will register in her mind; I gave up. This time I didn't have the intention to argue and just obeyed. I bet she wanted to talk about our agreement and I couldn't decline since it was part of a job I assigned to. I was about to turn to Jeongyeon and apologise for cancelling the dinner but it seemed that she succeed in reading the situation. She took a step forward, nearing me, or more accurately, Chaeyoung
 

 

"Stop ordering her around. Work hours have ended. She doesn't have any obligation to follows your demand. You have to know your boundaries as a superior" Jeongyeon interrupted. Her gazes were as hard as any store front mannequin. Chaeyoung locked eyes with her as they stood across each other, hands in pocket and a hellishly mean glare on her face. Then, there was me again, nervously standing in between them. My head moved from left to right, watching them as I did not dare to utter a word. They were snarling at each other but not yet at blows, the intensity of their shared enmity manifests as crackling streamers of lightning arcing back and forth between their eyes as sparks began to fly. I'd imagined the dramatic effect.
 

 

"And who are you to her?" Chaeyoung began in a mockery tone, directing the question towards Jeongyeon. I think both of them forget my existence.
 

 

"I'm her friend"
 

 

I sighed and lowered my head. An attempt to calm my thumping heart. I couldn't bear this situation any longer, I felt like a slice of meat being fought over by two animals. Was this how deer felt when she was chased by a predator. Well, that metaphor was rude of me. However, they are literally assassinating each other with a stare, there was a look that conveyed a bubbling hatred. Where will this conversation lead to? I wondered. A moment later, I felt a tight grip on my waist then a sudden pull. I flinched as I ended up in someone's embrace. I felt my body pressed in, firm but warm. What? Who? An arm wrapped around my shoulder while I automatically clung to her to balance myself.
 

 

"I'm her girlfriend. Soon to be fiancee"
 

 

I could feel the vibration of the voice sound against my palm. My eyes widened in surprise. I slowly pulled myself a little and saw Chaeyoung's face, more closely. Her bone structure was fine and sharp, her features moulded from granite. She had that kind of face that will leave a trace in your memory. She had her dark eyebrows, which sloped downwards in a serious expression. My gaze went downward, her plump lips had drawn into a hard line across her face. It was ripe of kissing. My own private thoughts made me blush. She held me then avert her gaze to mine,  staring deep into my eyes.
 

 

"She's mine. This woman is mine from the very beginning." She paused and lifted her chin back towards Jeongyeon. "You should know your boundaries as a friend" She emphasised the last word while sending a glare. The kind of glare that harbours intent. There was a tale behind it, something I'm connected to but I didn't know what.
 

 

There was certainly nothing good was going to happen next. I stepped backwards and tried to distance myself from Chaeyoung. Thankfully, she loosened her grip on my waist but still secured me to be near her. I stood in the middle of them as a barrier and faced Jeongyeon. She planted her gaze at me, confusion written on her face. She was searching for an explanation and it was something I couldn't tell, unless I lied. We had rules. In the agreement, my contract with Chaeyoung couldn't be disclosed to the third party. I smiled apologetically and looked down, staring at Chaeyoung's hand before intertwining it with mine. "I'm sorry, Jeongyeon. Can we talk later?"
 

 

Jeongyeon expression shifted a little, there was a mixed emotion and one that I could identify was the look of disappointment. I felt the kind of sadness seeped into me, a certain heaviness in my chest. I understood, I'm also disappointed at myself, Jeongyeon.
 

 

"Oh, you guys are here. The Chairman seek for your presence to dine together. All of you. 8.30 p.m at Blue Plate" Someone chimed in. I glanced to the back and saw Jihyo heading towards us. I didn't hear her coming, even the sound of the elevator. I was to occupied with my own conflict. She stopped and frowned, probably feeling the tense air. "Is everything alright?"
 

 

"Yeah. Um, then, me and Ms Son will get going now. It's almost time" I bowed and Chaeyoung dragged me away while I tried to catch up with her. We went out of the building and entered her car. She was silent during the ride while I'm staring out of the windows. "Why did you do that?" I asked, pertaining to her words and action earlier.
 

 

"Rule number 5. Remember?"
 

 

As a fiancée, Myoui Mina and Son Chaeyoung has to oblige to their title in public. I remembered it perfectly. However, it stated fiancée and we weren't engaged yet. She had told me, we will start acting after our engagement party. There was no need for now. I glanced to my side, "But, I thought we will only apply it after we engaged since you don't want any bad rumour circulating." I reasoned.
 

 

"I hate when people touch my property. You are mine. The moment you signed the agreement, you are tied to me. Never forget that"
 

 

My eyes narrowed to her controlling behaviour. Her insult managed to scratch my dignity, myself as a woman, as a person. It wasn't okay to act entitled or to exert power over your partner. This relationship, this absurd relationship between us wasn't going to work if she kept acting this way. In fact, attempting to exercise power over me, it wasn't written in the rules. I had to act as a lover, and love was attachment, not possession.
 

 

I balled my finger to a fist, "I am no one properties. Also, I don't agreed to this possessiveness"
 

 

She abruptly pulled the car over, startling me. My hand automatically gripped the seat belt as I panted in shock. A cruel sneer formed on her smooth face and she leaned forward, eyes bearing straight into mine. "And I didn't agreed to this rebellion" She gritted her teeth. I looked away, disgusted by her. Her behaviour, her definition of love was trash.







 

*  *  *  *

"I supposed, both of you aware that the Golden Rose event that celebrates the partnership between the Son Group and Im Group will be held tomorrow nigh. Make sure it runs without any problem Jeongyeon" The Chairman said, staring at both his granddaughter. Jeongyeon sat beside him, across her was me and on my left was Chaeyoung. My head bowed down as I quietly eating my food, not inserting myself to their talk about business. While at the same time, avoiding Jeongyeon. I still felt guilty that I left him in the dark and hadn't thought of excuses yet. The mentioned of Golden Rose event then caught my interest. I'd heard about it. Chaeyoung informed me before and said I had to attend it with her.
 

 

"And, Chaeyoung I want you to use this opportunity and introduce Miss Myoui to everyone in the event." The Chairman added. He turned to me and smiled,"Is that okay with you?" Flustered, I nodded wordlessly. "May I call you Mina since you are my granddaughter's lover?"
 

 

"Y-yes, Chairman"
 

 

He grinned widely and raised his hands. Soon, a waiter walked towards us pushing a metallic serving trolley with a bottle of wine dipped in an ice bucket. The wine bottle was almost clear, suggesting that it was the sweet golden wine that gave it such a pretty hue. I knew nothing about wine. The chairman took a small sip then leaned to his seat. "Now, what makes you choose her?" He questioned. I was taken aback and quickly regained myself as I noticed Chaeyoung's glancing at me.
 

 

Truthfully, the answer was; Because I didn't have a choice at all. 
 

 

I needed money and Chaeyoung proposed a new job that could support me financially. Other than that, who was sane enough to be this person's fiancee? Whoever she was, was a mad mad mad person. Unfortunately, sadly, tragically, pathetically that mad mad mad person was none other than me. I considered borrowing money from Jeongyeon but she had been a huge help since I first met her. I didn't want to burden her any longer and tried to fix my own problem. Besides, she won't let me borrow but lend it instead. It will make me guiltier and uncomfortable. And that was how, my current life tangled with Chaeyoung's under the impression that we were lovers.
 

 

My mind travelled back to the question. The Chairman was patiently waiting for me while Jeongyeon completely ignored my presence. Chaeyoung, despite her uninterested expression, she was listening. I panicked. Think Mina, think. But there was none good quality in this woman and I didn't even know her that deeply. My Lord.
 

 

"Ms Son. She is tiny..."
 

 

There was a moment of silence. Chaeyoung snapped her head towards me while the Chairman stared in amusement. Realising what I just said, I opened my mouth to correct it, that came out totally wrong. Yet, a stifled laugh stopped me. Jeongyeon was pressing her lips together, it was obvious that she wasn't actually trying to suppress her laugh. I peeked to my side and saw the vein bulging out of Chaeyoung's head while her face was beet red. She was angry. Crazily angry.
 

 

"I'm not done yet." I hurriedly save myself. "Ms Son---Chaeyoung is tiny but impactful. The strong aura, the power she holds. Whenever she goes, she just oozes confidence, enthusiasm, and self-assurance. She often doesn't even have to say anything or do anything special, yet she automatically draws attention from whomever near. It comes down to how she carried herself and the atmosphere she brings with you wherever you go. Even though, she's small, her presence is strong. And that is very admirable." That was at least true. But I know this was not the kind of answer the Chairman wanted. I recalled all the good things that Chaeyoung could ever possibly did for me. There was none. What am I supposed to say? How am I going to compliment a rubbish individual? She was one of the worst version of a human being.


 

I took a deep breath "She's a professional at work and--and a comforter. Chaeyoung might don't realises this but---" I glanced to my side and she was narrowing her eyes on me "---the sound of her light snore brings me comfort. Those hard time where I can't sleep, she was unknowingly giving me assurance. That makes me fall for her more. She was a comforter at work, encouraging the team and pushing them for their own good" I decided to twist around the hard truth into a beautiful truth. Add a dramatic effect. Playing with words and matched them with a soft expression. The Chairman was still waiting for me to continue. My reason wasn't enough. What else? What else was there?
 

 

"She was strict but caring. Harsh but authoritative. Firm but warm. Everyone has their own good side and bad side, maybe not all can see or understand Chaeyoung, and it doesn't really matter. What matter is we both see each other's flaws and differences, and still accepting it. I accept her bad habits and mannerism and works around it. I recognize her fears and hope to be her comfort. I acknowledge her hard work as a director and wish to be the one that tucked her to bed. I realise she misses home-cooked food and wanted to cook for her every day. I'm aware of how lonely she is and hope to cuddle with her. Rather than why I choose her, it is more to what I'm willing and wanted to do with her without any rules, restriction and only love." I ended my speech. What I'm willing to do for money, right. I didn't know where was the lie and where was the truth but I'm sure both were mixed together. I just hope I didn't sound stupid and spurting garbage.
 

 

My thoughts randomly went to Ray who was probably waiting at the Villa. Even though, Chaeyoung feared dogs, she still allowed me to keep him. I did threaten her that I won't go if Ray wasn't with me, and she could easily brush me off but she gave up instead. She was mean with her blade tongue and weird with her possessiveness, but she cared enough not letting me go home alone in the dark. I remembered the time she asked me to sat with her on the swing. She bought me ice cream as an apology. There was kindness in her, but the evilness overpowered it. And just because I see the good in her, I would not turn a blind eye to the bad.
 

 

As I lifted my head. The Chairman was smiling softly at me while nodding. I think I succeed, my words went through him. I averted my gaze to Jeongyeon and she was sipping her wine, not wanting to meet my eyes. While Chaeyoung, she had her elbow on the table as she rested her chin on her palm. She was looking away from me. My stomach knotted, did she mad at me or unsatisfied with my speech? If she really was, there would be a never-ending sarcasm and insult thrown at me today. I'm too exhausted to face her wrath later. Wanting to see her face, I use my role as her girlfriend and hesitantly hold her free hand that was placed on the table. She slowly turned to me and thankfully, there was no sign of irritation. She was rather...bright?
 

 

Chaeyoung then glanced to the Chairman and squeezed my hands making sure he saw that physical intimacy. The dinner ended sooner and we excuse ourself first since the Chairman still had things to discuss with Jeongyeon. As I stood, Chaeyoung went to me and wrapped an arm around my waist as we walked to the elevator. I flinched from the sudden touch but quickly recovered. The Chairman's gaze followed us and I bowed before the door shut. I sighed in relief as my muscle relaxed. Chaeyoug didn't let go of me and pulled me even closer, making me leaned to her. "I have to go somewhere for a while and when I return, we can spend the night talking. Tomorrow, you are going shopping for a suitable outfit for the event. I've made appointments for your hair and makeup. I want you to look the part" She said.
 

 

We reached the ground floor and she stepped out first then her heels "See you at home" She touched my cheek with the side of her thumb, her lips forming a pensive grin. Then she laughed, the sound making me shiver,

 

 

"Sweetheart"

 

 

I sat down as the elevator closed again, feeling dizzy.
 

 

What had I agreed to?













 

  - to be continued-
____________________________________

RenOgura/JunKudo

I've been trying to publish this chapter since few hours ago and literally falls asleep while waiting and keep trying. I thought is was my internet connection problem, apparently, it is not. It's been a year since I'm using this site, yet understand so little about it. I want to make an announcement, but don't know how it works. Maybe im used to Wattpad, this site confuses me. Anyway, I hope readers can read this chapter, I don't even know if you read this author's note. If not, then haha I'll try any other time, if there's comment under this chapter, then I assume you can read it. Because the first time I update, the chapter is blank and although there is view, I had no idea if you can read it or not. If you are able to, let me know. Thank you.