Rain In The Drought

Ransomed Fiancée

Jeongyeon
 

 

She wasn't here. It had been weeks. She never stay a night in this place. It would be safe to say I had this whole mansion for myself. Her stuff was placed in her bedroom only for decoration. We would be together if there was an event that required both of us to play our role. Eventhough we were engaged, everyone knew it was for business purposes, business transaction from both side. It was a professional relationship, partnership between two company. We were given a year long engagement period practice before the marriage. We both refused the idea of arranged marriage and made a deal to break off the engagement once the successor formality's project come to an end. After all, the main reason for the engagement was because of the succession  planning. She stood as a symbolism, a mark, a force to increase my influence and power.
 

 

The marriage between Chaeyoung and Mina became the headline of many articles. Even if I wanted to escape, the news was everywhere. Mina was a lovely woman. She was kind and smart. It was painful to see her in someone else's arms but the fact that, that someone else was Chaeyoung, bothered me. I was worried. I trusted Mina. Someone as great as her would have picked a suitable and dependable partner for herself. I trusted her judgment but at the same time, I didn't believe in Chaeyoung. She was everything negative, the exact opposite of Mina. I'd seen how she treated her as a personal assistant, how Mina came to me and expressed her feelings of being mistreated by her vile boss. It was hard to accept that I lost the woman whom I love to someone like her. Difficult for me to entrust Mina to her.
 

 

I knew Chaeyoung. Her eyes spoke volume of her agenda and ulterior motive. She wasn't capable of loving anyone, even if she did it couldn't be Mina, the personal assistant she despised for years. Her ego would never let that happened. And it made me even more confused about this overall situation. It was clear to me, she would only hurt her but why did Mina agreed? It had been plaguing my mind and the concern I had towards Mina increased as time passed. I believed she had her reason. And I had no right to doubt it. It was her choice. I could only wish all the best for her, in anything.
 

 

It was customary to give gifts for newlyweds. Putting my feelings aside, I truly wanted to congratulate Mina. Chaeyoung collected wine, thus I ordered Egon Muller Scharzhofberger Riesling Beerenauslese to add at her wine cellar. For Mina, I bought her a white koala plush toy. She appreciated little things and disliked extravagance in all ways. I noticed, she had been eyeing this plushie when she still worked under the Son Group. The store was just across the building. I thought she would buy it but she never did.
 

 

Slowly the light dawned and the shades of night passed away but the light was yet dim and the horizon misty. I set off to meet them in the early hours since my schedule was packed today. As I moved further into the residence, the roads and the houses grew further apart. Chaeyoung lived quite far from the central city. Out of the hedge-lined driveway, a cyclists appeared at the middle of the street, blocking my path. I followed closely behind but it almost seemed like the cyclist purposely moved at a turtle pace. There was a watermelon at her basket. I horned and peeked my head outside the window, "Excuse me, would you mind moving aside? The road is too narrow, I'm sorry"
 

 

The cyclists stopped paddling and turned around, her gasp quietly when she saw me, "Oh hello, Miss Jeongyeon"
 

 

The Son Group Corporate Counsel; Chou Tzuyu. I smiled and invited her to enter my car. Her bicycle was put at the truck rack. Apparently we were going to the same destination, "Are you going to meet Chaeyoung?" She asked, hugging the watermelon and turned to face me.
 

 

I glanced at her and nodded, "Yes, I want to congratulate their marriage. I bet you are here for the same reason."
 

 

She hummed as we both fell silent. We weren't that close. I barely knew anything about her except the fact that she was Chaeyoung's friends and a person with high intelligence. She cleared and spoke again,"I used to think that you and Mina are together. I've always see you two in the office. Everyone was secretly gossiping. What's you relationship with her?"
 

 

Guess what I heard about her weren't misleading. She was straight forward. I answered her question with honesty, "To her, I'm a friend. To me, she's a the person I hope to spend my life with. She's a nice woman. It's no surprise that everyone's taken quite a liking to her perhaps including Chaeyoung"
 

 

"She's a nice person indeed but very unlucky. She was personally recruited by the Chairman. Before she entered the Son Group, Chairman ordered me to do a search background on her. Mina lived a pitiful life. If it wasn't for her sick sister, she wouldn't have had to go through the contract marriage" She smiled and nodded, words escaping before she caught herself and pressed her lips shut.
 

 

Instinctively, I stomped the brake pedal, and a high pitched squeal pierced the air. "Excuse me? What did you just say?" I couldn't believe my ears. Did I heard the right? She avoided my gaze and chuckled nervously. What kind of game were you pulling off Son Chaeyoung?
 

 

I raced to Chaeyoung's place and noticed how the person beside me was visibly on edge. She'd just spilled the beans. It just rolled out in conversation. I felt her gaze on me, glancing secretly while I couldn't care less. My mind was tortured by the new information that I couldn't fathom, but it was now made sense, everything. If it really true, Chaeyoung didn't change for the better, she was still the same egoistical childish brat that gotten even worse. You should never involved other people in this fight, Chaeyoung. You would only get that person hurt. That was what going through my mind. But who am I kidding? I was no different than her. I used Nayeon.
 

 

This new piece information though hard to swallow, I was quiet delighted. Mina whom I thought was unreachable, was now closer. She wasn't that far anymore. It must be hard for her. She could've asked for my help, but she chose not to. Mina was independent. I understood if she would rather signed a deal with Chaeyoung than simply ask help from me. As soon as we reached Chaeyoung's villa, the doorman greeted us. But he told us no one was home at the moment and we could wait inside. I had no time to wait, I needed to see Mina.
 

 

"Do you know where Miss Mina now?"
 

 

"I sent her to Banpo Bridge Park last night, she hasn't return" He said.
 

 

Banpo Bridge Park? I glanced to the side, Tzuyu was standing cluelessly, hugging the watermelon. I diverted my attention back to the doormat, "Why was she there?"
 

 

"Miss Chaeyoung planned a dinner date. She asked Miss Mina to wait there"
 

 

I frowned. The sun rose an hour ago, "Dinner? It's early in the morning now"
 

 

"Perhaps they are still together " Tzuyu interrupted.
 

 

If they were still together, meaning they spent the night outside. A prick of pain hit me. I handed the boxes I brought to the doorman, "Thank you, I'll get going. Here's a wedding gift for Chaeyoung and Mina." I bowed slightly at Tzuyu and entered my car. It was a thoughtless decisions but I went directly to Banpo Bridge Park. I didn't know what would I do when I arrived. I just felt like I had to go. I had to see Mina.











 

Chaeyoung

 

 

The car felt comfortable, making the quiet sounds of a smooth running motor, with the sun shining through the glass hitting my face. It blinded me. I shielded my eyes and leaned back to my seat. The sun was warm, but I was still cold,always was. I knew, Nayeon felt the same. We both were. From the distance, I saw her walking out of the building, wearing a white dress and red handbag. She was going for work. She turned towards my car parked few meters away from the main entrance. A smile tugged her lips as she went closer.
 

 

I rolled down my window and she leaned over and rested her elbow on the door. She closed the space between us and ran the back of her finger down my cheek. She smiled, "I knew you'd stay. Thank you for looking out to me the whole night. You should go home now. Your 'wife' is waiting" I turned to her, intending to tell her that she should lower her drinking but I didn't have the chance. She grabbed my face and pulled me towards her and kissed me firmly. I didn't respond and stayed still, her eyelashes brushed my face.
 

 

When she pulled back, I looked at her lipstick and realized I hadn't seen her wear this shades before and it didn't suits her. It wasn't her regular bold bright red or plum shades. I trailed my thumb across her lips. And examined the smudge, "You taste like jealousy" I mumbled, "No. 52 Rouge Pur Couture. It's Mina's usual lipstick. Don't do this again. Remain as who you are. I don't want you to pretend to be someone else to earn my favor. Pay her no mind. You are a strong independent woman Nayeon. She isn't a threat and I will never leave you"
 

 

"You make me sounds more pathetic than I already am" She chuckled and pulled out a wet tissues from her handbag and wiped her lips. She then dug a golden tubes and handed it to me, "Put it on me, please"
 

 

I chuckled, she could be acting childlike sometimes which was a bizarre and rare sides of her. It might be, the only person that saw this version of her was me. I took the tubes and snapped the lid. The TF logo engraved on the top of the lipstick. I smiled and reached out, holding her chin gently then ran the lipstick over her lips, "Tom Ford Bruised Plum. This beary-shades is more like you. You look good on it"
 

 

She grinned, a wide genuine smile across her face. She slowly leaned forward, giving me a soft tender kiss on the lips, gentle and with caution. The unspoken words, and her raw emotions, the longing, loneliness, emptiness. Everything. She poured it out in that one kiss. And I replied, accepting her apology, understanding her feelings. We were both filled with unexpressed emotions. That was why needed each other, relying on each other. Because we were the same, we understood well.
 

 

She broke the kiss and gave a sly smile. "Thank you, Chaeyoung. It'll look good on you too." I turned to the rear mirrors and saw her plum lipstick smeared on mine. She walked away and waved her hand while I scoffed. That woman was really, unbelievable. I shook my head, smiling as I drove off. In half an hour, I pulled to a stop just outside my house. The doorman ran and greeted me. I noticed he was glancing around as if he was looking for someone.
 

 

"Miss Son, Miss Mina is not with you?" He asked.
 

 

I faltered to a halt as I turned to face him, "She hasn't return?"
 

 

"Yes, Miss Jeongyeon is looking for her too"
 

 

She was still there? I jumped into the car and raced over to Banpo Bridge Park. The traffic was getting very heavy. And I was forced to weave my way in and out of traffic. Why were you there? Why were you still there, Mina? Stupid woman.
 

 

A little longer, just wait a little longer. 









 

*    *    *    *

Mina

 

 

I'm awoke to the sweet smell of chicken soup coming from somewhere. I opened my eyes and found myself in an unfamiliar place, below me was a soft bed. I sat up and looked around the room. I was lying in a Queen Size bed with a clear canopy surrounding it. Yeah size of the room was larger than my whole old apartment. White carpet spread throughout. I was ready to get out off the bed when a stinging pain reminded me of my previous ordeal. What exactly happened? The door swung open and she walked in.
 

 

"You're awake. But you had better get those feet back into that bed" She sat a tray of a simmering pot of soup and hot tea on the side table.
 

 

"Jeongyeon" I called.
 

 

She leaned closer and settled me gently to leaned against the headboard. She lifted my legs back to the bed and tucked the blanket up to my waist, "I thought you should have something warm" she said, smiling as she sat down on a chair.
 

 

"What happened?"
 

 

"Hoon told me where you were. You fainted and I brought you here. You had a very low core body temperatures. You were frozen. How long were you there? Why were you there?" She bombarded me with questions that was difficult for me to answer. I couldn't come clean and tell her I was waiting for Chaeyoung. We were a happy married couple to everyone. That image, I couldn't ruin it. I didn't have any excuse to tell her. Thus, I could only bowed my head, nothing, no words to say.
 

 

Jeongyeon tapped my hand. I raised my gaze, she smiled, "I understand, you don't have to tell me anything if only you finish eating this" She put the tray on my lap and placed the spoon inside my grasp, "Come on, you should eat some. I'm a good chef, you know" She winked.
 

 

The gesture made me smile. I scooped up a tiny mouthful of the milky white soup, lifted it to my lips then took a sip. The flavor was rich with fresh chicken meat and herbs. It was especially delicious. "Lovely" I complimented. The grin on her face widened. After that, I didn't say anything else and started to drink slowly. We sat in comfortable silence for a long while, a sense of peace building between us as he moved closer and rested his head on mine then sighed deeply. She was bothered. She did this whenever something was troubling her. I stole a glance and she was closing her eyes.
 

 

"Mina"
 

 

I put down the spoon, "Yes?"
 

 

She turned to face me and tapped my hand gently, "Are you happy?"
 

 

I paused for a few seconds, and she held my gaze. Her eyes were sympathetic, soft with understanding and appreciation. Jeongyeon had that one ability. She could make you cry. That genuine kindness and care, it made you sobs. She had that warmth of a mother, older sister, that comfort and assurance that you needed after a long tiring day. I somehow swallowed back the prickle of tears threatening to hit me right now. For some reason, I felt sorry for myself. Though I knew she could probably see through me, I answered, "Yes, of course"
 

 

She pressed her lips together and hummed, "You are a gift to me and a dearest sister to Sana. You are precious and a wonderful person. I really, really want you to be happy. You deserve happiness. I just want you to know that"
 

 

I needed that. I badly needed that, "Thank you, Jeongyeon" We exchanged small smile and she was about to say something but the furious knocking at the door interrupted us. We both turned towards the sounds, "I think someone is here" I exclaimed. She nodded and tapped my shoulder, signalling me to wait as she walked out of the bedroom.
 

 

I set the tray aside and started for the door when I heard bickering. I stood up and stepped towards the living room. She was here? I paused when I saw her standing outside the main door. She noticed my presence and stared at me. A deep frown on her face. Her darkened eyes were blazing in suppressed fury, "Mina, come out. Come out now!" She raised her voice and I flinched in fear when she shouted. Her face was flushed red.
 

 

I wanted to say something—anything—to get her to calm down because I saw her hands clenched at her sides. Her outburst shocked me into momentary silence. She strode towards me and I took a step back instinctively, all kinds of crazy on her face. Veins popped out at her temples, her gaze narrowed and the fiercest I'd ever seen. She snarled and grabbed my wrist in a bone crushing grip, pulling me with her. I bit my lips in pain as I followed her.
 

 

Jeongyeon matched towards us and caught Chaeyoung's wrist that was holding mine. Chaeyoung groaned and turned to face her whist I was trapped in the middle of them. Jeongyeon glared at her, "She's not feeling well. Rather than dragging her shouldn't you ask about her condition first? You are not at the age to to act based on emotions anymore, Chaeyoung. You are not at the age to be allowed to do that. For your own words. For you own actions. For your people. Be more responsible for it or I will"
 

 

Chaeyoung stepped closer and yanked Jeongyeon's hand off hers, "It's none of your business"
 

 

"Trust me Chaeyoung, it will be" 
 

 

They stared at each other wordlessly for a full minute before I decided to insert myself and spoke, "I think I have to go. I'm sorry for having bothered you" I bowed slightly at Jeongyeon which she hesitantly nodded. Maintaining her death grip on my wrist, Chaeyoung scoffed and dragged me down the driveway to her car. She forced me into the car and slammed the door after me. Before I had a chance to get back out she was gunning the engine. The car screeched down the long drive and slid out onto the road, "Why are you at her place?" She spoke through her gritted teeth.
 

 

I held my wrist where her bright red handprint were left, and looked out of the window, "How did you know I was there?"
 

 

"Answer the goddamn question!" She demanded furiously.
 

 

"Why are you always like this?" Tears stung my eyes suddenly, viciously as I turned to face her.
 

 

She abruptly pulled over on the side of the road. She raked her hair back from her face, gripping the wheels, "What?"
 

 

"You make me wait again, Chaeyoung"
 

 

"If you wait a long time and I don't show up, you should just leave. Why are you foolishly wait again?"
 

 

"Indeed, I'm a fool for holding on to your words. You are a fool for choosing me and dragging me into all of this. If you love Miss Nayeon, why didn't you propose to her or ask her to be your fake fiancee. She's the only heiress of the Im Group. Why didn't you take that opportunity? I know about that special relationship you have with her. Just because I keep quite, doesn't mean I'm clueless of what's happening around me" A familiar scent filled the air and I scoffed, "You were with her last night. That lavender perfume. Again. The same fragrance left lingering around you."
 

 

The frown on her face deepening. She ruthlessly grabbed my shirt collar, drawing the material tight, "Don't talk about something you don't know anything about. Don't talk about her carelessly. What's it to you anyway. Why do I have to hear this from someone like you?"
 

 

"Someone like me?"
 

 

"Yes, someone like you. Who do you think you are? Do you really think you are my wife? Who are you to get into my business"
 

 

Hurt at her words speared through me, "I know, you and I are nothing to each other and we don't even have a relationship but why do you make it so hard for me?"
 

 

"Who made it hard for you? Me? Why? Why are you hurt by me?"
 

 

"You keep making me wait!" I squeezed my eyes shut in an effort to still the warm moisture welling there, and failed as one fat tear spilled and rolled slowly down her cheek. It continued spilling out from beneath my lashes. I was frustrated and angry, angry towards myself for letting this happened to me. I could've avoided it but I didn't. I let this happened to myself. I bit my lips, unable to speak and finally after a moment, opened my eyes, staring at her, "Why do you always make me wait? Chaeyoung, I may only be a replaceable wife to you but to someone else, I'm a dearest sister and a gift"
 

 

I jerked opened the door and exited the car. She hopped out and followed behind. Her heavy footsteps thuds loudly, "Mina!" She called.
 

 

I wiped my tears and swung around. She was standing a few meters away. I wanted to reach out and grab her hand and hold it to me, right over my heart, right where it ached the most. I didn't know if doing that would heal me or make my heart break entirely, but either way this constant waiting would be over. Eventhough, I wanted to, I held myself. Put a distance between us where it supposed to be. I didn't know, hope and trust when broken, could hurt this bad. I wasn't expecting anything, or perhaps I am, maybe that was why, I'm this much affected.
 

 

"Waiting for you is like waiting for rain in the drought. Useless and disappointing. I will never wait for you, not anymore" I said and left.







 








 

  - to be continued-

_________________________________

✒ JunKudo/RenOgura

Unedited.