Gamble

Ransomed Fiancée

Mina
 

 

 

I had trouble sleeping again, so I tiptoed down the hall, pushing open Chaeyoung's door. Tonight she's on her stomach, one arm wrapped around her pillow, the other one hanging off the edge of his massive bed. She was still snoring---her low, raspy hum I needed to hear. I studied her face in the dim light. I traced my lips with my finger, still shocked at the fact she had kissed me, held me in her arms and we danced. I knew it was all part of her grand scheme but there were moments glimpses of a different woman than I was used to seeing. The flash of her dimpled smile, a twinkle in her eye, even a kind word---they had all caught me off guard tonight.
 

 

I wished she allowed that part of herself out more, but she kept her emotions---the positive ones---locked away. I had already figured that out. I knew if I said anything she would lock herself down even more. So, I  remained silent---at least for now. I had to admit though kissing her hadn't been bad at all. Considering the venom could produce, her lips were soft, warm and full while her touch was gentle.
 

 

She groaned and rolled over, taking the blankets with her. Her long lean torso now exposed. I swallowed partially in guilt for staring at her partially in wonder. She was a beautiful woman---at least on the outside. She muttered something incoherent and I moved back, leaving the door ajar scuttling back to my own room. She might have been a little more pleasant at times this evening but I doubted she would react well to me staring at her while
sleeping.
 

 

Early in the morning, I left the villa and went to visit Sana. She was wide awake and in a good mood. She smiled at me, tweaked my nose, and we talked and laughed until she fell asleep. I drank my plain water while she napped looking at some of the little pieces she'd been drawing and colouring. I was beyond grateful to know there was a huge improvement in her minimal conscious state after years being in a vegetative state and I was so proud of her. I chose one, I liked in particular of some wild colourful mushrooms and was admiring it when she stirred. She watched me, then holding out her hand for the paper. "I like this one." I smiled, revealing my gummy. "It reminds me of when we'd hike the mountains looking for mushrooms." She nodded.
 

 

"You can have it, little penguin " She reached out while I leaned forward and she softly caressed my cheeks. "Do you still dance?"

 

 

I blinked. Taken aback by the question. I forced a bright smile and shook my head. "Nope. I lost interest in it already. I'm happy with my work." I shrugged, playing with the hem of my shirt. I couldn't look at her in the eye.
 

 

"You want to be a ballerina. That's your dream. Are you giving up because of me?"
 

 

I raised my chin, staring at her "Sana please" I pleaded "It has nothing to do with you. I don't like dancing anymore, and that just my dream when I was a child, I even forgot about it already" This time, I held her gaze, trying to look convincing enough.  I felt relief when she let go of the topic with a heavy sigh. How many times was it already? How many times I'd lied to her. I couldn't count anymore. I had an amazing job, I had a kind and understanding boss, I'm financially secure, I lived in a decent apartment and the list seemed to be endless. It didn't matter, I'm happy. Seeing her, alive and breathing made me happy and that was enough. That was all I need. I felt guilty for all the lies I sprouted out of my mouth but I didn't want to worry her. She didn't have to know.
 

 

I tucked Sana to sleep afterwards and left when I had assumed she was completely drifted to dreamland. I stole another glance at her pale face before shutting the door. I leaned against the wooden surface and clutched her drawing, stifling the tears. The view of her fragile body attached to wires and tubes stung my heart. It was a sobering reminder of why I was doing this with Chaeyoung. Pretending to be something wasn't. It was for Sana. I wiped my eyesand went to meet the doctor. They discussed about Sana's surgery and I agreed. I had money now, I could use the advance payment Chaeyoung had given. They set a date, I thanked them then headed back to the villa.
 

 

I bowed at the doorman before I opened the door. Chaeyoung met me with a scowl on her face. "Where were you? We had an appointment!" She barked, putting on a cufflink on her white dress shirt. It was neatly tucked inside her black pants. Her shoulder-length blonde hair was tied in a low ponytail with a few strands of hair purposely lose on the side of her temple.
 

 

I drew in a deep breath and counted to ten."Good morning to you too, Chaeyoung. It's only nine. Our appointment is at eleven. We have plenty of time and I thought you are going to the office first"
 

 

She ignored my greeting. "Why didn't you answer your phone? I called. You didn't take your car either."
 

 

"I visited Sana. The home she is in is close, so I walked."
 

 

Reaching over, she tugged on the small paper I had clutched to my torso. "What is this?" My grasp was ineffectual and she held the drawing in her hands, studying it. "You aren't hanging this crap in here." She spat whilst her face scrunched in mockery. The drawing wasn't the prettiest and perfect, she must have thought it was done by some kid, yet it meant more to me.

 

 

I swallowed the bitterness in my throat. "I wouldn't dream of it. I was going to put it in my room"
 

 

She pushed the paper back at me. "Whatever." She walked away glancing over her shoulder. "Your clothes arrived. Put all of them in the closet in your room and left the bags on the bed. Burn whatever you're wearing now. I don't want to see it any longer. Wear decent clothes for the date. A lot of eyes will be watching" Then she disappeared. Sometimes I had forgotten what she really was. A Jerk. The event that happened yesterday must have clouded my perspective towards her. I had no idea what caused her to change this drastically but it then hit me, she didn't change, she just returned to her usual form.





 

 

*  *  *  *

Chaeyoung
 

 

Feeding off the madness, I became enveloped in a wave of despair as I drove away from my home. I looked over the phone stand when there was an incoming call. Father was calling. Grunting, I rolled down the car window, grabbed my phone and tossed it outside. The ringing subsided and I sighed in relief. That disgusting man really succeeded in ruining my morning.
 

 

I stopped in front of the company's entrance and walked out, not minding the varlet. The employee bows as I made a beeline towards the elevator, and pressed the highest floor's button. I was greeted by Jihyo as the door slid open, sending her a slight smile before I strode past her and into the Chairman's office. My quick pace beat her from stopping me to enter as she had to announced it to the Chairman first but I immediately ignored the etiquette rules. I was already in stormy emotions which helped me handling this upcoming situation, my mood fit it.
 

 

The old man was reviewing some papers while he sat behind his desk. The door slammed behind me as I harshly opened it. He looked up to me with a judging expression, probably questioning my rude entrance. Jihyo followed behind and informed the Chairman about my sudden visit, bowing in apology as she did so. The old man smiled at his secretary and dismissed her with a hand motion and a nod. He then turned to me with a raised eyebrow.
 

 

I took a deep breath before nearing him and stood in front of his desk, not backing down from his intimidating stare. "I resigned," I said stoically and pushed the white envelope across the table. I bowed before turning around, wanting to leave the place. My step halted at his questions.
 

 

"Are you sure you aren't going to regret your decision?"
 

 

I clenched my fist, "If I stay, God knows what kind of way are you going to hurt her. I know you spread the rumour on purpose. She's my woman, my fiancee. You had no right. I'll bring her to leave this country if you attempt to separate us or hurt her in any way. I'm not up for another scheme." Tilting my head to the side, I shot him a glare and added, "You owe her an apology"
 

 

I marched out of the office and met with a proud smile from Jihyo. I returned the gesture and walked inside the elevator. Once the door closed, my firm composure shaken and I stumbled to the nearest wall. This was certainly a high risked gamble. I had to make an aggressive reaction towards the rumours issues, in hope he would trust our relationship if I willing to resign for the sake of Mina. If he called me back, then it was a success. There was also a possibility that he would accept my letter and I had no way to return to my previous title. However, I knew for sure he would reach out to me. He must.
 

 

There was nothing to be concern about. Everything went according to plan. I convinced myself. Pushing my body, I stood straight and tall with my shoulders pulled backward and lifted my chin. The conversation with the Chairman had me chuckled. What a great performance I showed there. His gaze still managed to make me quiver but I was strong enough to completely hide the effect it had on me. I wasn't the same with that child he locked inside the basement, not anymore.
 

 

Walking out, I climbed the car and looked at the rearview mirror. I pulled out the hairband, letting my hair lied freely, ed the first three-button on my dress shirt, fold the sleeves, wear my black glasses, untucked my shirt at the back. Now, a complete look for a date with Miss Myoui. I smirked and turned the engine, casually drove away.








 



 

  - to be continued-
_____________________________

RenOgura/Jun Kudo