Comfort-Zone vs Danger-Zone

Ransomed Fiancée

Mina


 

Ms Son was talking to the Directors after the show over. They were still inside the hall. She asked, more like ordered me to wait in the parking lot and I was awkwardly standing beside her red Porsche. The apricot dress was remarkably dazzling but it was uncomfortable. It perfectly complimented my body's curve that somehow makes me anxious. I wondered maybe it was because the unfamiliar fit of quality fabrics that I'm not used to and didn't feel normal. How much this dress was? It must be pricey. My thoughts were interrupted by a cooling breeze blew upon my face. I shivered, rubbing my palm together and breathed on my fingers with the effort to keep my warm. It was almost an hour already. She could have just lent me the car key so I can wait inside yet, she must be doing this on purpose. Or she was afraid I would scratch or do something harmful to her precious car. 
 

 

A coat suddenly wrapped around my shoulder causing me to look up. She smiled at me then crossed her arms, humming as she eyed me from head to toe. "Naturally Elegant" She gave me two thumbs up then settled beside me, leaning against the car.
 

 

"Ms---" I began.
 

 

"Please, just Jeongyeon. We are outside of work Mina"
 

 

I bit my lips and glanced the black coat hung around me. Of course, I appreciated her kindness but she was just in a thin white t-shirt. I didn't want her to catch a cold. "Ms Yoo, you don't really have to--"
 

 

"I'll only accept a thank" She threw me a fake warning face. Drawing in her eyebrows, a glaring or hooded look to her eyes and her lips becoming narrowed and thin. This overdramatic expression obviously was her being playful.
 

 

I unconsciously smiled "Thank you"
 

 

The next second was only us enjoying each other company, bathing in the comfortable silence. We both facing the night sky where there was only the moon shining above the passing clouds, not even a star was there next to her. In the pure blackness, she stood alone. I kinda felt for the moon, she looked lonely but she was glowing to the fullest, doing her job no matter how down she was. While, here I am, barely fighting to live each day. I hoped I was as brave as her. Shrugging off the melancholy air around me, I peeked to the side and saw Ms Yoo closing her eyes.
 

 

When I first entered this company. It was a huge Group Business that dominated most of the industry including the airline. The Son was not a stranger name in Asia. It had been running since the '90s. I knew who Ms Son and Ms Yoo were even before meeting them. Their pictures, biography and interviews were displayed in every magazine. While I was once an editor in a marketing publishing team. I was shocked when I discovered they were sisters because the issues were never talked by Ms Yoo in any interviews she went. Their personality was the complete opposite, one was an angel and the other was a devil. How was that possible and even their last name was different? The question was soon answered when my colleague explained that they were stepsister from the same father. And Mr Yoo wants to keep her mother last name. They said she used the Son last name only up until she was a teenager then changed it.
 

 

It was on the third day of working in the company, I first met Ms Yoo. Our first meeting wasn't something that I'm proud of. If I remember correctly, I was delivering a box of documents on the ground floor when my legs suddenly failed me. The box flew away from my grip causing the paper to scatter everywhere. Before I knew it, I was already drenched in the fountain. Rather than embarrassed by the stare coming from the people who were walking around, I was more concerned about the paper. It could lead me to troubles and worse, fired. While I was pleading God to show some pity on me, a hand appeared before my eyes. I lifted my head and there she was, standing before me as she offered help for me to stand. Me, who wasn't embarrassed a second ago wanted to disappear into thin air. At the same time, I was thinking that she was the angel that God had sent since she really saved my day. The manager was furious but she covered me up.


 

I was happy. For a while.

 

 

It was also the same day, where I met Ms Son for the second time. Let's not talk about our first encounter. Anyway, I was appointed to be her personal assistant that day. My first thought was, how? I was just a newbie yet skyrocketed to one of the highest-paid jobs. Turned out, the last PA resign and now the spot was empty, but there must be a lot more people qualified for the spot but they chose me? I brushed the thoughts off and went to her office to introduce myself. Knowing she was Ms Yoo's step-sister, I was expecting a kind and gentle person just like the latter. But I was proven wrong, completely wrong. When I introduced myself inside her office, she stared at me blankly for almost half an hour. She finally moved then took a white paper and a pen before sliding it across her table towards me. She asked me to resign. I kept quiet, gesturing that I refused. When she kept staring at me again, I thought she had done talking, hence I swung around to leave. That was when she shouted at me for ignoring her. As I turned around, she was standing with visible anger on her face and her hand that gripped a file was raised. I'm sure she was about to throw the file on me but somehow stopped. That was when I realized, I'd transferred into the hell headquarters.
 

 

Ms Yoo visited me on my desk the next day, and asked if I was alright and if I was in need of help, I shouldn't be hesitant to come and look for her. Amongst the workers, secretly there were nicknames given to this sisters and Ms Yoo was the 'Comfort-Zone' and guessed what Ms Son was? Obviously, I was inside the 'Danger-Zone'. There were also the devil and angel and various of mean, funny, accurate nicknames they came up with. I mostly agreed with all. Ms Yoo treated everyone just the same and with kindness, including me, I think. I knew how good she was as a person but she had been putting a little bit more attention to me. Well, it might just me being delusional. By months, we had built a small friendship and mutual respects. She sometimes asked me out for lunch and we shared a conversation, mostly me expressing my frustration that was bottled up by the mistreatment from Ms Son. She was intently listening then always advised me to resign and she will find me another job. But, I don't want to bother her. I'd never sought for help no matter how hard life was but she constantly assured me that she was there whenever I need someone to rely on.
 

 

"Mina!?"
 

 

My story-telling time was cut off when I felt a tap on my cheeks. I blinked and watched as Ms Yoo's worried eyes staring back at me. She heaved a deep sigh when I responded. "You are staring into space for God knows how long. I thought you have freeze out" She muttered.
 

 

I chuckled. "I'm okay Ms Yo---"
 

 

"Jeongyeon" She stated firmly. Her disappointed face makes me felt sudden guilt. She must have thought I pushed her away or that we weren't close enough for me to drop the honorifics. But, it wasn't like that. I'm just used to that since that was what I addressed her in workplace and I'm not... I didn't really know what this feeling was. Afraid? Anxious? That once I opened the door, she could definitely reach the deeper part of me, my heart. And I'm not sure if I'm ready for it and if I'm able to, considering right now, I was engaged to someone.
 

 

Perhaps, I'll just see where this will lead. I smiled, "I'm okay, Jeongyeon"
 

 

By the mention of her name, her face lit up and her eyes sparkled with excitement mixed with happiness. Indeed, it was the first time for me to call her by name only. Even if we had known each other for a long time, I still couldn't bring myself to drop the honorific and today, this moment, I did. Somehow, it felt like our friendship had gotten closer and developed. As if I was standing on top, at the end of an invisible staircase and she was always the one who slowly climbed the stairs. But this time, I descended the stairs by one step as we nearing each other.
 

 

I grinned to the thought. Brushing it off, I diverted my attention as I roamed my eyes inside the parking lot and noticed her car parked not so far from us, "Anyway, why are you staying here Jeongyeon? Aren't you going home?"
 

 

"I'm the one who supposed to ask. What are you doing here? Where's that whiny toddler" She slipped her hands inside her pocket and glanced around.
 

 

"Toddler?" I tilted my head.
 

 

She looked at me and smirked "Chaeyoung. She looks like a toddler and acts like a toddler. You know, whining and childish."
 

 

I didn't think it was a good idea to badmouthing my superior especially when she can appear in no time. Also, as far as I observed, Ms Son was professional at work and although her perfectionist side was a hassle to almost everyone in the company, wasn't that a good thing as a leader? She was a tyrant but that because she tends to be very strict. Because of that, all of the project under her went successful. Although, she literally 'slept' with different women every week, that mostly didn't influence her work. Whining and childish? I didn't see that in her, as of for now I guess.
 

 

I let out an awkward laugh then point to the building where the show took place  "She's talking to the directors inside and asked me to wait here"
 

 

"How long has it been?"
 

 

I glanced at my wristwatch and calculated, "Almost an hour"
 

 

She sighed heavily, an evident annoyance carved on her face "Come, I'll take you home. No declining" She caught my left wrist and started to walk away, not giving me a chance to say anything. My mouth was opened and closed as I tried to come up with excuses. Our step was suddenly stopped when a hand gripped my other wrist, pulling me backwards. I turned around and widened my eyes when Ms Son was standing there.
 

 

"What are you doing?" She said, hardly staring at Jeongyeon. She didn't even acknowledge I'm here.
 

 

"What are you doing?" Jeongyeon repeated, throwing back the question with a wave of slight anger in her tone. "You ordered her to wait here for an hour, in this cold weather. Are you out of your mind"
 

 

"She's my employee" Ms Son reasoned, jaw clenched. My Lord. I didn't think this will end well. She was definitely boiling.
 

 

Jeongyeon grunted, "That doesn't mean you can treat poorly" She took a step closer to Ms Son while here I am trapped in the middle of their staring contest. Seriously, what was wrong with these two sisters. I'd never seen Jeongyeon acted this way and Ms Son even got worked up quickly. They looked like they were going to throw punches at each other. Before anything bad happened I jumped to the topic and inserted myself.
 

 

"Um, J-jeongyeon, I'll just go with Ms Son. Thank you for the offer. I'm okay" I whispered, facing Jeongyeon as I became the wall that separated them. She looked down to met my eyes and I wasn't expecting to see her expression drastically changed into disappointment and sadness. I felt the sudden guilt crept inside of me. She shut her eyes for a moment and was about to swing around, when I tugged her sleeves. "Maybe we can have dinner together some time" I suggested to make up for this.
 

 

She smiled genuinely and caressed my hair "That's a promise then. Take care Mina" She spared a quick look to Ms Son then leave.
 

 

I would like to come with Jeongyeon but I knew she will insist to drop me off in front of my house, and where did I live now? In Ms Son's Villa. I sighed then flinched at the furious honking sound. Ms Son was already inside the car with an unsatisfied and mad face. Why did she look irritated? Wasn't it supposed to be me? Sometimes, I really didn't understand her. I slumped my shoulder as I went to the passenger seat.
 

 

The ride was silence and I just noticed that I hadn't returned Jeongyeon's coat. I took it off and carefully folded it then held it in my lap. I looked out the window and surprised as I saw my own reflection. I somehow appeared different than usual but it was a good different. I won't deny but this might be the best version myself. I'd never felt this. I was soon reminded by the previous make-up events "About the show, why me? You can just take someone else that was around the place to be the model"
 

 

"It has to be someone who was plain, shabby." She answered flatly. I shouldn't have asked. My mouth kept stitched, as I decided to not argue. It wasn't the first time so I was kinda used to her sarcasm, though it still hurt. "Just so you know, I'm insulting you" She added.
 

 

I closed my eyes and pretended to sleep. I'm exhausted and didn't have any strength left to face her sarcastic manner. Minutes after, I felt the car stopped moving and opened my eyes. She unbuckled her seatbelt while I did the same, and following her inside. She ordered food from a fancy restaurant and we had a quick dinner, no words spoken before went to our respective room. I unpacked my things and finished around ten o'clock. Cleaned myself then prepared to sleep. Yet. I couldn't.

 

 

I couldn't sleep. No matter how hard I tried, I just couldn't fall asleep. I was exhausted, both mentally and physically, still I couldn't relax. The strange events of the past few days played on a constant loop in my mind. Ms Son's unexpected offer, my even more unexpected response, and her reaction to where I'd been living. Her different side when she faced her fear, dark and dogs. She'd been disgusted and, with her usual demanding demeanour in full force in the morning. Before I could blink, my few possessions were in the trunk of his, luxury car and I was back in her Villa—on a permanent basis, or until she was done with her insane plan. The plan I was now rooted in as deeply as my boss.
 

 

The Villa was silent. There was literally no noise. I was used to the sounds that surrounded me at night: traffic, other tenants moving around, yelling, and the constant sound of sirens and violence outside my window. They were the noises that kept me awake, sometimes fearful, yet now they were absent, I couldn't sleep. I knew I was safe. This place was a hundred, no a thousand times safer, than the terrible room I had lived in the past year. I should be able to relax and slumber peacefully.
 

 

I reverently rubbed my fingers along the silken mattress. The bed was huge, deep and plush. The comforter was thick, rich and irresistibly soft, like a billowing cloud. The silence, however, was too loud.
 

 

I slowly sat up and get out of bed, walking to my door. I opened it, wincing at the low creak as the hinges protested their use. I strained my ears, yet I couldn't hear anything. We were up too high for traffic, and the walls were well insulated, so there was no noise from anyone in the building.
 

 

I tiptoed down the hall, pausing in front of the door I knew was Ms Son's room. It was slightly ajar, and bravely I pushed it open wider and stuck my head in the opening. She was asleep in the middle of a gigantic bed, a lot bigger than the one I had. Sleeping on her stomach with slightly opened. It seemed obvious, the events of the past couple days weren't bothering her at all. Her short blonde hair shining against the dark brown colour of her sheets, and as I expected, the light was on. But instead of bright light, it was a soft and warm glow. To my surprise, she snored. The sound was subtle but constant. In repose, and without the ever-constant sneer on her face, she looked younger, and less of a tyrant, even a little...just a little adorable. In the muted moonlight, she appeared almost peaceful. It wasn't a word I had ever associated with her except that night in my apartment, and the first time I had seen her asleep. She surely wouldn't look that peaceful if she woke up and found me in her doorway.
 

 

Nevertheless, it was the sound of her even breathing and rumbling snores I needed to hear. To know I wasn't alone in this vast, unfamiliar space. I listened for a few moments, left her door opened, and returned to my own room, leaving the door ajar, too.
 

 

I settled back into the bed and focused. It was low, but I could hear her. Her odd wheezes offered me a small measure of comfort---a lifeline I needed desperately. I sighed realizing if she knew she was comforting me, she would probably sit up all night in order to deny me the security it brought. At this moment, she was my 'Comfort-Zone'.
 

 

Everything will change from now on. I signed up for this contract and it actually scared me. I pressed my cheeks onto the pillow, and for the first time in months, cried.










 

_________________________________

✒ Jun Kudo