Engagement Party

Ransomed Fiancée

Chaeyoung


 

So much nicer than a plain old card, this timeless, simple and rustic paper engagement party guest notebook is elegantly designed as the perfect informal keepsake for a couple on their special day. Our supposed to be a special day. Two weeks had passed since the dinner with the Hirai and I had madly occupied with the engagement party along with the help of Mina. She was hesitated to agree to the sudden celebration that clearly would be presented by lots of guest and reporters. It would be her first formal appearance as my fiancee to the public and I tried to understand her anxiety. She wasn't used to this attention and I should consider her feelings and comfort. We had a talk and thankfully it turned out well. It wasn't like she had any other choice, it was written in the agreement that this was a possibility even marriage. She had to adjust herself.
 

 

This was my first time throwing an engagement party. I had never in charge of a project involving anything around it. Etiquette questions were swirling around my brain. I consulted with a party planner to share her insider tips and answer key questions about the guest list, invitations, gifts, and everything in between. I was the one who had direct contact with the party planner, shouldered and decided how and what the engagement celebration would be like until the planner questioned Mina less participation. She annoyingly queried why Mina hadn't shown up in our meeting and that Mina, my fiancee's opinion also matters and she should attend the meeting and involved herself with the planning. I was quick to make excuses that Mina hadn't been feeling well lately.
 

 

It never crossed my mind to ask her opinion about it, and why would it even matter when this engagement was nothing but an instrument. What important was to host the party and get it done as soon as possible. I'm sure, Mina wouldn't be bothered by it if I wasn't asking her preference. It would acquire more time and I knew almost all of her favourites from the list. With it, no one knew Mina better than me. However, I still brought her in the last meeting to meet the planner, preventing any suspicion. As expected, Mina was agreeable. We made a final discussion about the timeline of the party and Mina did her job, smiling, flung her arms on mine, lean her head on my shoulder. She nodded and loved all element of the party, complimenting me on my choices and hard work, thanking me for my effort. The intimacy grew natural over time and I did the same physical contact.
 

 

The invitation was distributed first thing first to all the guest even the Chairman. I'd informed him beforehand that I would host an engagement party. As my grandfather, his presence was needed.
After painful weeks of preparing, everything was set. The venue, the invitations and guest list, the aesthetic style and theme, the food and cocktail situation, etc.
 

 

All that was left was the execution.
 

 

Watching my reflection on the stand mirror, I wore the wristwatch and studied my appearance. A pastel pink suit with the blazer hung over my shoulder, matched white dress shirt. I went downstairs and expecting Mina was already waiting in the living room but she wasn't around. The Blackpink had flown to Australia yesterday, which was a pity. Hence, I'd contacted a stylish for Mina and I assumed they were done a while ago when the stylish took her leave. I looked at the time and made a way to the kitchen, pouring myself a glass of water. What took her so long? I sighed.
 

 

Impatiently, I drummed my fingers on the counter. I heard the tapping of heels and turned my head, the glass I was about to drink from, freezing partway to my mouth. Miss Myoui I was used to seeing wasn't this woman. As I suspectedwith the right clothes, a good haircutand some makeup she was quite pretty. Not like the flashy confident women I was used to, but rather an understated beauty she carried well. Not my usual type---however, in this case it would work. She impressed me again with that plain beauty.
 

 

I glanced down at her hand and frowned. "Where is your ring?"


 

"Oh." She opened her small purse, took out the box, and slipped on the ring.
 

 

"You need to wear it all the time. Leave the box here." Rubbing my brows, I thought of an embarrassing consequence so she'll be extra careful, "The day you lost it is the day you will dance baby shark, recorded it and uploaded to the media" I smirked.
 

 

"I took it off for a manicure. I forgot to put it back on. The same goes to you" She pressed her lips before smiling---wide and big that shown her gummy, almost like a teasing smile. "Thank you so much for reminding me, dearest."
 

 

I raised my eyebrows. "Dearest?"


 

"You didn't like , so I picked another endearment. You know like lovers"
 

 

I crossed my arms, glaring. "I think you're laughing at me."
 

 

"I would never." She tossed her hair, the dark waves rippling down her back.


 

"Do I passed?" turning around, she showed me her dress for this special occasion. She was wearing an endless off-shoulder Frilling dress in pastel pink. It fitted her well.


 

I looked over her and slowly nodded. "My money is well spent"
 

 

She picked up her purse. "You have such a way with words Chaeyoung. So smooth and lyrical. I'm shocked women weren't lined up pretending to love you."
 

 

Her remark made me chuckle. She had a cutting sense of humourwhich was something I liked. I followed her to the door, opening it for her. She waited as I locked itand with a smirk, I offered her my hand. "Ready, sweetheart?"
 

 

She rolled her eyes, placing her hand in mine. "Anywhere with you, Dearest."
 

 

"Let's do this."






 

*  *  *  *

"Son Chaeyoung and Myoui Mina are pleased to announce their engagement. Congratulations to the beautiful couple. Wishing you both the happily ever after you so very much deserve." Tzuyu smiled behind the podium followed by a cacophony of clapping and cheering.
 

 

The formal engagement party was themed dusty rose, lavender and gold. It was held at a ballroom located inside the Sun Hotel that was owned by the Hirai. I'd asked Tzuyu to MC/host the party. Since Mina had no relatives, the guest was mostly attended by my family's side, the Son Group's staff, influencer, reporters. The main purpose of the party was to announce our engagement and formally introduced Mina. It was done deliberately. I was beside her most of the time when I first brought her to meet all the important guests. We received a collection of congratulatory phrases uttered by every single person. I sensed Mina discomfort of being photographed in over and over again. Maybe this was quite overwhelming for her. When I had enough with the white flash, I raised my hands to the reporters and smiled politely. They understood and bowed before disappearing. Now, it was less irritating and bearable.
 

 

The Hirai was all attended and I greeted them with a grin. They expressed their wishes for us and Mina bowed her head shyly when Ms Momo mentioned of having a child. How many children we want and what will be their name, daughter or sons as the firstborn. That was too far ahead that never thought by any of us. Smirking, I offered Mina a glass of apple juice. She thanked me and was about to drink when I confidently answered the first question, "I want a team of football players. So, 11 kids?" Mina gasped, choking on the juice. The Hirai secretly giggled and perhaps they were expecting me to tag along but I kept a straight face, staring at the woman beside me. Eyes glared with an intensity.
 

 

She blinked, probably burdened under my gaze, "H-how about individual sports?" she uttered nervously, eyes shifting from me to the Hirai as if she was asking for help.
 

 

My expression remained stoic, "No. I want a team of players"
 

 

"Mind considering Basketball or V-Volleyball?" She bit her lips while fiddling with her knuckles, weaving her fingers in and out of each other. Her face went slightly pale while staring at me with uncertainty.
 

 

The corner of my lips twitched at the sight. She took this was too serious. I finally barked a laugh. "I was teasing you, sweetheart." I ruffled her fringes before winking flirtatiously "But, I'll consider basketball" She let out a sigh of relief and covered her face with her palm. Looking away from the Hirai, she wrapped me into a hug and buried her face on my chest, hiding behind the coat.
 

 

"You embarrassed me" she mumbled, loud enough to be heard by the Hirai. They were smiling and laughing at our interaction. I was about to join them in teasing Mina when there was a sudden pinch on the side of my stomach. I winced in confusion before another endless small pinches attack me on every part of my belly and ribs. I hissed in pain trying to pull away from her embrace but Mina tightened the hug, not letting escape from her revenge. She pushed me once she was done and huffed. I immediately crouched down, hugging my stomach that felt like a cast of crab just attack me with their huge and strong claw, when in fact it was Mina's small but deadly pinch. The Hirai was watching with amused and softened eyes. I chuckled before standing back on my feet, gave Mina a peck on her lips and apologised. Finally, that frown of her replaced by a shy smile, her cheeks reddened.
 

 

The afternoon waned away. We ate, talked and met many people. Often when we were with other people, I would look up to find Mina's eyes on me. She was mostly with the Hirai. They really favoured her.  Because it amused me to watch her reaction, I would blow her a kiss or send her a wink, simply to see her cheeks flush. She did it every single time. She did the same thing when, I would walk up to her, wrapping an arm around her waist, dropping a kiss to her shoulder or cheek. She played her part well, never reacting in any way except welcoming. In fact a couple of times she sought me out leaning up to whisper in my ear. It was easy to imitate the way Dahyun cheeks met her Momo's to hear whatever her girlfriend was murmuring, with an indulgent look on her face.
 

 

I had no doubt the words Momo whispered were far more intimate than what Mina had to tell me, but no one else knew that. At one point, Mrs Eri drew me to the side and asked if I was available for another discussion on Monday. I had successfully stopped myself from fist pump the air, knowing we had done it. Instead, I told her, Mina and I had an errand on Monday morning, however, I was available after lunch. I didn't want to appear too eager but as soon as she nodded knowingly and informed me the license office was always busy on Monday so we should hold off until two o'clock to meet, I realized my mistake. She thought we were going to apply for our marriage license. Rather than correcting her, I agreed two o'clock would be a good time and shook her hand.
 

 

The sound of the mic attracted my attention. I turned to the stage. It was Jeongyeon who stood behind the podium, with a champagne in hand, she proposed a toast, "To Chaeyoung and Mina. May you both be blessed with lifelong happiness." At which time all the other guests pick up their glasses and take a sip. I raised my flute and stared at her. Our eyes remained contacted as we finished the whole drink in one gulp. She gave me a tight smile and walked away. My gaze trailed her and she seemed to be drunk by how her body swayed around. I examined her appearance, her hair wasn't combed, her necktie was loose, her sleeves ed. She was a mess. I frowned, what was her problem? I'd never seen her this out of herself. She was usually neat and tidy.
 

 

Shrugging it off, I returned my gaze back to Mrs Eri. We shared a short conversation before she excused herself after she had a phone call, informing her that her daughter had caught a fever. She apologised for her early leave and gave me her gift. It was an ancient wine, Chateau Lafite 1896. I widened my eyes. This wine reached the highest bid in Hong Kong and was sold to an anonymous buyer from Asia. I wanted to buy the wine but I was in Singapore during the auction. So, it was the Hirai who had bought it. That surprised me. I grinned, I had another precious one in my wine collection.
 

 

"What are you so happy about, Darling?"
 

 

I swung around and chuckled, "Mrs Eri gifted a rare wine. It was a luxury item" Mina hummed and leaned her body on me. I held her by the waist. "Tired?" She replied with another low hum. I gently her hair, letting her sunk into my arms and rest. Mina breathed more slowly, her body melting as I could feel her faint breath caressing my neck.
 

 

"Chaeyoung." A voice called.
 

 

I turned my head to the side and watched Nayeon walking towards us. She had all the emotion of wet concrete, her facial muscles just as loose. I'd noticed her but hadn't had the chance to greet her. I could only steal a quick glance, she never even appeared bored as she sat on that chair near the corner. For all the presence she brought to the room she might as well have been a store mannequin. I was preoccupied with the other guest and planned to approach her later but seeing her here was delightful.
 

 

Mina stood straight and tucked her hair behind her ear while hanging her head low. I observed her reaction, she was nervous, her hands tremble slightly as she tried to hide it behind her back. I frowned and intertwined our hands, caressing the back of her palm with my thumb to soothe whatever it was disturbing her. I had guessed, she probably intimidated by Nayeon's presence. Since that woman had a natural strong aura and but she was kind, contradicted with her appearance. I smiled, "Nay, let me introdu----"
 

 

"Have you got a minute to talk?" She interjected. I sensed the air shifted, heaviness surrounded us. She was staring at me, didn't even bother to spare a glance at Mina and acknowledge her.
 

 

I was slightly offended by her rude action although I had no right to be. Mina shouldn't feel like she was an outcast in this engagement party. I pushed the thought to the back of my head and guided Mina to the nearest chair. "I'll be back, sweetheart." I pecked her forehead and she gave me a sweet smile.
 

 

Nayeon walked ahead while I followed behind and we entered an empty hotel room. Nayeon locked the door before turning to face me. Something flashed beneath the surface of her hardened expression. Her eyes softened, her tight lips curved into a bitter smile. She strode forward and hugged me. I felt her soft skin and her gentle squeeze, bathing in her warmth and the smell of her lavender perfume. Within this approximately no distance between us, I could feel her heartbeat, pounding louder than the crashing waves. "Nay" I voiced out, my hand remained glued to the side. I had doubt what this was all about.

 

 

"Comfort me" Her velvet-like voice reached my ear.
 

 

"Did something happened?"
 

 

"Yes"
 

 

That was when I lifted my arms and returned the hug, wanted her to feel protected and assure inside my embrace, "Want to talk about it?" I asked. 
 

 

Her hand grazed over my jaw then moved to my chest, resting her palm flat against it. She leaned her ear and closed her eyes, listening to my heartbeat, "You don't love her. Everybody can be fooled by it but not me. You can't fool me"
 

 

"Nayeon" I warned.
 

 

"Tell me you don't love her" her arms tightened around me, as if she wouldn't let me go. I kept quiet and was about to deny her but the felt of water drop soaking my shirt, stopped me. "Please" she pleaded, her voice merely a whisper. She held me in silence, clutching at my coat.
 

 

Pressing my eyes shut, there's no way out of this that I'm able to lie from her, a woman who gave me her heart, "I don't."
 

 

"Won't I'm the most suitable toy you can play with? The Im Group can greatly help you"
 

 

"I don't want to use you, and hurt you"
 

 

"You will hurt her"
 

 

My mind travelled to Mina. She knew the consequences and the risk of the agreement but she still accepted my proposal. She might be hurt, but I'd assumed she already expected it and knew that it might affect her. Mina was an independent and secretly smart person. She knew how to take care of herself. It was easier to use stranger than acquaintance that would complicate our relationship. "She's nothing to me but you are someone, I don't want to involve my friend in this" I reasoned.
 

 

"I hate the word, friend"
 

 

"I'm not capable of loving someone. You should know that better, Nay. I can't return your feelings"
 

 

She detached herself and slowly pulled away, her loving and warm gaze locked into mine. The hurt and bitterness evident under her delicate expression. Her palm remained on its place, resting against my chest, "I know. As long as this heart isn't owned by anyone, then I'm content. If I can't have you, no one will. Because what's worse than knowing you want something, besides knowing you can never have it? It's knowing someone might have it, and that someone is not you. Don't, don't love anyone Chaeyoung. If you do, you'll hurt me more than you already did"











 

  - to be continued-

_________________________________

RenOgura/Jun Kudo