All Grown Up

Prince Eric

 

When Eric is at school eating lunch with his friends, he notices a note at the bottom of his lunch box. He picks it up and it reads the following:

"Dear squishy little maknae, I hope you are having a good day at school, babykins. I know that Sunwoo has sun in his name, but you are such a precious little ray of sunshine. We are so lucky to have a maknae like you! Love, Changmin." 

"Hey, Eric, what are you reading?" His friend, Jasper asks. 

"Just a note from my hyung about practice later." Eric lies, hiding the piece of paper in his pocket. 

"Yeah, my hyungs are like that too. They always text me though. It's always practice, practice, practice." 

Eric is just too embarrassed to share the true contents of the note. 

The next day, while backstage at a music show Eric is going through Jacob's bag of snacks when he realizes he has to go to the bathroom. 

"Where are you going?" Jacob asks, as Eric reaches the door.

"To the bathroom." 

"Wait, I have to find someone to go with you so you don't get lost." 

Jacob sees that Haknyeon is not busy, so he calls him over. 

"Haknyeon, Eric has to go potty so I need you to him." Jacob explains. 

"Potty? I'm not a toddler! And I don't need help getting to that bathroom anyway."

"Eric, this is a big building. We don't want you getting lost and delaying the performance, like when you went to get a drink last time and couldn't find the way back."

"That was one time.... okay, maybe three times." Eric argues. 

"Eric." Jacob says, not giving in to Eric's argument.

"Fine." Eric groans, leaving with Haknyeon. 

The following day, Eric is at the company working on some music. At one point, he takes a break from his writing to just walk around. As he is doing this, he hears laughter and talking in a room down the hallway. Eric goes to said room and opens the door to see Jaehyun, Kevin, and Sunwoo arm wrestling. 

"Hey, are you guys having an arm wrestling match?" 

"Yeah." Sunwoo answers, before putting down Jaehyun's arm. 

"Come on, best two out of three." Jaehyun says. 

"I bet I could bet all of you guys." Eric brags. 

The three of them burst out laughing in response. 

"Sure, I bet you could. Why don't you just go strap on your light up sneakers and run off." Sunwoo says. 

"Yeah, then hop on your tricycle and pedal back to the dorm." Jaehyun adds. 

"I heard Jacob has chocolate chip cookies and milk waiting for you. Then he will tuck you into your little race car bed and sing you lullabies." Kevin adds. 

The three of them are now rolling on the floor and laughing hard. Eric just storms out, going back to walking in the hallway. 

Later that night, Eric has a dream that he considers to be the final straw. 

He is laying on his back and sees that wooden bars are on his sides. The next thing he knows, Jacob is looking down at him. 

"Good morning, babykins." Jacob says, picking Eric up and holding him. 

"Aww, look at those cute, brown eyes." Jacob gushes. 

"Eric's up?" Sangyeon asks, walking in. 

"Yup. Can you get his breakfast while I get him settled?" 

Sangyeon nods and the two of them walk to the kitchen together. While Sangyeon gets the food, Jacob puts Eric in a high chair and clips a bib around his neck. Eric now knows what is going on, he is an infant. 

"Oh! Can I feed Eric this time?" Younghoon asks, entering the kitchen. 

"Sure." Sangyeon agrees, handing Younghoon the baby food.

Younghoon feeds Eric a couple spoonfuls before he starts to cry. 

"Younghoon, what did you do?"

"I don't know."

"I can calm him down." Changmin says, as he enters the kitchen with Chanhee. 

Changmin makes funny faces at Eric, but this does nothing. 

"Changmin, that is not working." Chanhee states, before picking Eric up and holding him closely. 

"Eric, why are you so cranky this morning?" Chanhee asks him, as Eric continues to cry. 

"Give him to me." Juyeon intervenes, taking Eric away from Chanhee. 

"I am his favorite after all. Right, Eric?"

"Eric.... Eric.... Eric." Eric keeps hearing, but it sounds like Jacob's voice instead. 

It must be time to wake up. Eric opens his eyes to see Jacob smiling down at him. 

"Good morning, gummy bear." Jacob says, fixing Eric's hair a bit. 

"Awww, look at those big, adorable eyes." Jacob adds, pinching Eric's cheek before leaving. 

Eric gets up and goes to the breakfast table where everyone is waiting for him. This is the perfect time to tell them that he wants things to change. 

"Squishy, look at this cute breakfast we made for you." Kevin says, handing Eric his plate. 

On the plate is a pancake shaped like a dog face. This is exactly what Eric wants to change. He just stares at the plate and pushes it away in response. 

"Eric, what's wrong? You don't like your breakfast?"

"Do you feel sick?"

"Or are you feeling cranky today? Do you want Sangyeon to sing you that song?" Jacob asks. 

"No. These pancakes are babyish."

"But that's because you are our baby. We thought you would like it since you loved the smiley face pancakes." Jaehyun explains. 

"That's what I wanted to talk to you guys about. Can you guys stop babying me from now on?" 

"What?!?!?!" They all respond. 

"But how can we not baby you? You are too cute!" Changmin comments. 

"Yeah. You are so innocent and precious that you still have that new baby smell." Jacob says, smelling the top of Eric's head. 

The rest of the members sniff the top of Eric's head and agree with Jacob. 

"Hyungs, I'm serious." Eric begins, as they all sit back down. 

"I don't want you guys to treat me like a baby and coddle me anymore. Please?"

"Alright, if you don't want us to baby you anymore, we will respect your decision." Sangyeon replies. 

After breakfast, Eric decides to pack up all of his babyish things. He gives the box to Jacob, since he asked if he could at least keep Eric's old stuff. 

"You're getting rid of this sweater?" Jacob gasps, picking up said custom made sweater.

"It is so childish. It's two teddy bears hugging and it says I love my hyungs under it. " Eric replies. 

"And oh my gosh! How could you get rid of Mr. Cuddlesworth? What about your nightmares?" Jacob says, taking the bear out of the box. 

"I'm not a baby anymore, I can handle my nightmares by myself."

"Alright. Thank you for letting me keep this stuff. It means a lot to me." Jacob smiles. 

"Also.... Can I baby you one last time for just a minute?" Jacob asks. 

"Fine, but after that no more."

Jacob quickly gives Eric a hug, calls him all types of cute nicknames, and gives him one last raspberry kiss before letting go. Eric is tempted to return it, but he doesn't, in favor of being a big boy. 

"Thank you, Eric."

The first change that Eric experiences is that nobody comes to check on him as he is playing video games in his room that afternoon. The boys usually come in to see if Eric wants a snack or wants to go somewhere, but now he is left unsupervised. 

The next change happens at dinner, instead of Eric being served by one of his hyungs, he now has to serve himself. 

At night, Eric realizes that nobody can tell him when to go to bed, so he can stay up all night, playing on his phone. 

"This is the life. No scolding, no nagging, no smothering. I could get used to this." Eric thinks. 

When Eric has to get ready for school the next morning, he has to make his own breakfast and pack his lunch. Then, he walks to school by himself. He has to admit, walking to school alone is boring, he has nobody to talk to about what he is excited to do at school today. 

Eric's self made lunch is also disappointing, he just can't make his lunch box as good as his hyungs do. When Eric gets home from school, he isn't greeted with his usual after school snack. He thinks about making something, but is too tired, so he just goes to bed to nap. 

"Hyung! Hyung! Let's play a game!" Eric exclaims, now energized after his nap. 

"Play a game? Are you trying to test me? You said not to baby you anymore."

"But playing games isn't babyish."

"Yes it is, you always want to play horsey. Which is a pretend game, so that is for kids." Juyeon explains. 

"Fine." 

Eric goes back to his room and decides to be mature and study until dinner. 

At night, Eric decides to go to sleep tonight. He is exhausted from not sleeping at all last night and having a day of school. Maybe it is due to the lack of sleep the previous night, or because he gave up Mr. Cuddlesworth, but Eric has a nightmare that wakes him up. He really wants to crawl into one of his hyung's beds and cuddle up next to them for the night to fall asleep, but since he does not want to be babied anymore, he cannot do that. Instead, Eric lays awake in bed for the rest of the night, unable to fall asleep after having a nightmare.

It has only been two days, and Eric is starting to regret his decision. This , to be honest. Eric misses eating good packed lunches, having an after school snack, being able to get comfort from someone after he has a nightmare, and so many other things that his hyungs used to do for him. He wants things to go back to normal, but he waits until a week has gone by so that the boys won't laugh at him for not being able to even handle a week of not being coddled and spoiled. 

As soon as that week passes, Eric brings up the issue with the members at one of their group meetings. 

"I know I said I wanted you guys to stop babying me last week, but can you guys start treating me like usual again? I can't handle this. I miss all the stuff you guys do for me. I miss snacks, cuddles, games, Mr. Cuddlesworth, all of it. I just want to go back to normal." Eric brings up. 

"You sure? You want us to treat you like our little maknae again?" Sangyeon asks. 

"Yes. Please, I'm begging you guys. I love being treated that way, I might not like the nagging and stuff, but I like everything else." 

"Okay. We will go back to normal, squishy." 

Eric smiles at hearing one of his cutesy nicknames after so long. 

"Does this mean you want your box back, babykins?" Jacob questions. 

"Yeah, especially Mr. Cuddlesworth." Eric replies, remembering the nightmare he had the other night.