-29-

Book Club Chronicles

Joy had arrived at their parents' home first, and she was the one who met Irene at the door first with a hug.

Mr. and Mrs Bae met her with open arms, exclaiming how they missed her and all that jazz. Irene smiled and kept a pleasant exterior. The last thing she wanted was her parents to think something was up. The whole case with Suho had been dealt with, but it was still a very traumatizing experience that wouldn't stop haunting her.

Irene went into her old room, which looked just teh same as it did always. Her parents upkept their rooms even though they did not live here anymore, and it was kind of nostalgic but sad at the same time. 

She couldn't help but remember how things used to be, before Suho, before now.

It was a normal peaceful life, with the occasional drama brought to you by Joy and maybe some other people around her in high school. But nothing serious.

Irene opened the windows only to see the same balnk white space over the earth. She stepped back and sat on her bed, remembering the days that passed when she had her sis used to spend outside building snowmen and snowangels, and having snowball fights. 

 

They decided to go to some winter festival on Christmas Eve. There was no crazy snow fall forecasted for the night, but they wouldn't stay long. Her parents weren't getting any younger and it wasn't too good for them to stay out in the cold much.

At the festival, a large lake had frozen over and some kids and families were skating over the slippering surface. Irene remembered doing that with Joy in their kid days. She kept falling over and losing her balance on the ice.

While passing through the fest, a booth with some cute trinkets caught Irene's attentio and she stopped to look over the inventory.

"Have a look at my wares!" a kindly old lady exclaimed. 

There were some jewelry and stationary, and some keychains hanging from a stand. One in particular caught her eye. It was a hamster with fluffy blushy cheeks that appeared to be sleepy - and it made her think of Wendy. 

Whoa.

No. What the hell?

But Irene already had the hamster keychain her hand (it was those soft plushy ones), and who knows how long she had been standing there with her mind having the audacity to bring up Wendy like this. 

She coudln't put it back, and so, she paid for it and rejoined her family.

"What's that?" her mom asked.

"I thought it was cute," Irene held it up to admire. 

 

Irene stared at the hamster plushy keychain sitting on her bedside table. What came over me?

She wasn't even sure what Wendy liked except baking and possibly books since she was in the book club. 

And why in the world did a fluffy hamster remind her of Wendy?

And why was 'CUTE' the first thing on her mind that correlated to Wendy and hamsters?!!!

 

Would Wendy think it was wierd if she got a hamster for Christmas?

Wait, but why would she have to give it up? She could get something else.

Well, she had some time to figure out if this was ok to give to Wendy. Or maybe she should also get Wendy a gift card for coffee or snacks? 

They knew each other, but not enough.

 

Wendy was so nice. Irene chided herself for not thinking to have a gift for her too.

Aish...

That day had been so unexpected. 

They were just going to talk, and then the sky decided to pour down snow on them, they spent the night together -  Irene hadn't had anyone stay overnight except for family.

Also, Wendy was pretty strong. It was the truth when Irene complimented her about clearing up the driveway pretty quickly. 

And then after that, Wendy tried to protect her again but thist ime from falling snow and they ended up in a position that was less than ideal. 

It made Irene feel weird and nervous remembering their proximity. Wendy on top her.

She really didn't know what to think about it, but all she knew was that it shocked her.

 

The next morning included a lot of preparation for Christmas dinner. They were going to have grandparents and close relatives over.

Their Christmas tradition was that a relative would rotate making dinner and having family over every year. No one went to irene's house because it was too far for older relatives to drive. Her parents' home was easier to get to since most of their family lived closer to that area.

When everyone arrived, Irene had almost forgotten what it felt like to have a full house. It was a little overwhelming, but she felt more comfortable away from the gossip in the living room, while she was in the kitchen with her mother. Her aunt and a cousin named Chaeyoung were also here to help make a feast to feed a wolf pack.

Chaeyoung was younger than Irene, actually around Wendy's age now that she thought about it. She was more into modeling and was already being recruited by a company.

"Irene, you're still working at the university?" her aunt asked.

"Yes, I am hopefully tenured soon," Irene replied as she prepped the sweet potatoes for baking. 

"You're pretty young getting full time, aren't most of them old and cranky?" Chaeyoung joked.

"Depends hwere you look. How about you? How's your modeling career?"

"Oh! It's getting started. I'm so excited," her cousin excaimed. "I start my first gig after the break. It's for a sports brand."

"Congratulations."

After a lull in conversation to focus on making dinner, her aunt spoke up to ask the usual popular question of the century. "You're almost 30, right?"

UGh, Irene hated thinking about her age never getting any younger, but she kept her cool. It's just idle talk. She nodded.

"Are you seeing anyone? Now that you're settled for the most part, have you thought about starting a family?"

She was used to these questions. "I haven't had time to think about it," Irene said calmly. "I'm so busy with work."

"Maybe having a husband will lighten up the load," her aunt suggested. 

Irene smiled and shook her head. "Thank you for your concern, but I am just fine."

"Alright...if you need help finding people, we know some potential spouses..."

Irene thanked her again to be polite, but she surely was not going to take up the offer. Her extended family did not know about her abusive relationship with Suho, and she preferred no to have the story spread so far among people. ONly her parents and Joy knew, Wendy, and a couple friends- which was already too many. She did not blame her aunt for saying such things since she did not know anything. But it could get annoying sometimes.

So far, Irene wasn't interested in romancing and she liked her life the way it was. Free to do as she pleased, and no obligation to anyone.

Sure, not getting married and having kids made her parents feel like she wasn't living up to standards, but she could care less now. She built herself up on her own since then, and she took pride in that.

When the dinner was finally ready, they assembled it into a buffet-like fashion so everyone could choose what they wanted. 

Irene sat with her sister and cousin and listened to them talk about the latest trends. She barely had time to be keeping up with Kpop and the latest dramas. The only thing she kept up with was her bills, taxes, and new books.

Speaking of books...she hadn't decided when book club would start up again.

Irene got a little too comfortable not having to have her friends over, and simply resting in solace.

The only person she had seen since it was postponed, was Wendy, but that was for an important reason.

Also, Wendy's name was echoing aroudn her on either side like a stereo, but then she realized that's because Joy and Chaeyoung were tossing Wendy's name around.

"So you're seeing Wendy instead of Hyunwoo?" Chaeyoung asked.

"Well...i guess I have," Joy replied. "She's cool...and short, but her she's mad fit."

"Ooooh, she must have a pretty tight bod then," Chaeyoung purred suggestively. "You said she plays soccer professionally?"

Irene frowned and felt a little uneasy listening to their conversation. 

"Ugh, stop creeping," Joy slapped their cousin's shoulder. "but yeah, she's really good."

"Sounds like my kind of person," Chaeyoung said and leaned in close. "Soooo,...is she taken?' she asked in a hushed voice althouhg hte loud talking from the other guests meant no one could hear them anyway.

Wati, Chaeyoung...likes girls? Irene didn't remember hearing that, or was that just something that no one spoke about? Same relationsihps generally weren't appreciated in her family so it was a little weird...

"Uh..." Even Joy was caught off guard. "No, I don't think so, but she's busy with sports and university. I don't think she is interested in dating?"

For some reason, Irene felt a little relieved and a weight lifted off her chest. 

"HAHAHAHAHA!" Cheyoung guffawed. "I'm just kidding. I mean, she sounds like a workaholic like Irene here hahahahahah!"

And that's how dinner went. What a strange evening.

After tht they played white elephant, picking out and stealing gifts until there was no more rounds left. By that time, it was midnight and everyoen was tired.

When everyone left, she and her family opened their gifts together.

 

Finally, Irene hit the sack. She was tired after the big social meeting and she wanted to sleep immediately.

However, she remembered that there was one more present to open - wendy's card. She brought it along to be part of her gift-opening tradition.

Irene picked it out of her luggage and opened the envelope carefully. She didn't like tearing things open. 

Inside was a pretty Christmas card with a traditional greeting on it. Irene opened it and a gift card fell out. It was for the local bookstore with a substantial amoung for a new book.

Dear Irene,

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! I hope you have a nice restful holiday. You're a really nice person and I'm so grateful that I met you. Thanks for letting me join book club. 

Wish you the best.

Sincerely, Wendy

 

Wendy was too sweet.

She can easily forgive me for what Suho did to her - No, that was Suho, not you, Irene told herself.

"Wendy..." Irene whispered to herself. 

This girl really is too kind for her own good. 

Irene looked over to the hamster that she bought at the festival and lifted it to her eyes. Why was the resemblance so clear and silly?

--

"MERRY CHRISTMAS MY BABBIES!" MRs. Kang and Mr. Kang burst through the door when Seulgi barely opened it.

Of course. It made sense where her friend's explosive personaltiy came from. Wendy smiled as she stood in the background while Seulgi and her parents reunited happily. 

"WENDY! Dont just stand there!" Mrs. Kang clapped her on the shoulder and pulled her into a mighty bear hug, knocking the air out of her lungs. 

"O-oh...good to see you," she struggled to get the words out.

Seulgi's parents made a wholesome meal that they claimed would feed them for the whole winter. And they made sure that Wendy and Seulgi ate more than thier stomachs could handle.

"You're losing too much weight. especially you, Wendy," Mrs. Kang scolded them.

At the end, they had a tasty pie and Wendy dreaded the weight she would gain after this night of feasting. She would have to hit the gym more now. 

Other than that, it was a pleasant christmas night.

Wendy even got a call from her parents, who she hadn't heard from in a long time. It was a short call but she was glad to hear from them, and glad that they were healthy. 

"Let us know when you graduate," her father said. "It's another year right?"

"Yep."

"Be safe, Wendy. Keep studying."

That's how most of their conversaitons went, but at least they were still in contact. 

Regardless, Wendy felt happy tonight seeing Seulgi and her family get along so well. It brought more life to this place and it was funny to see their resemblances.

 

Seulgi's family was staying over until the New Year so they stayed in seulgi's room and Seulgi slept in Wendy's.

"Hey," Seulgi said. "Time flew by didn't it?"

"It did."

Wendy lay with her hands behind her head and stared up at the ceiling, recounting the events up to this point.

A lot of things did happen.

She met Irene, joined book club, and got a little closer to her through unorthodox ways.

And she met Suho, the abusive ex who was locked up now.

I can't believe I tried to fight him, she thought to herself. At any other time, she probalby would have thought more clearly, but ieverything happened so fast, she didn't know what the hell she was even doing.

After being in book club, she almsot forgot about the real reason she joined, but thanks to Joy, she learned Irene wans't interested in dating right now.

It's just a crush, she told herself. 

Maybe I've been immature trying to find ways to get closer when I shouldn't even be putting my nose where it doesn't belong. And by that, she meant joining book club.

But then if they hadn't met, who would have been there to stop Suho from hurting Irene? Her plan didn't really work, but at least it stalled for time for someone to call the police.

Ugh, it's all too complicated. She shook her head and her side. I've been obsessing over my crush on Irene...I think I need to step back and think about what I'm doing...

If Irene were to ever find out about the truth of why Wendy joined the book club, she may not see Wendy the same way anymore.

Worry about it later. It's Christmas, Wendy told herself.