-37-

Book Club Chronicles

"Oh...you're seeing someone?" Jisoo's eyebrows rose.

"Yes." Irene replied automatically - while thinking of Wendy - before she could stop herself. 

"HAH!" Rose smacked Jisoo on the shoulder. "I told you she was too pretty to be single! Now you owe me a drink this week! HAHAHAH!"

 

Irene wondered if she had done the wrong thing by kissing Wendy. The younger girl didn't seem to have any sort of reaction or behavior when they met again at book club. Wendy simply acted the same as usual, and didn't act like the kiss had ever happened.

She didn't even look at me during the discussion...

Perhaps I scared her off?

Maybe she doesn't feel the same after all?

Maybe she thinks I'm creepy for kissing her? But she said...

Why did I have to open my mouth like that? Irene cringed inwardly and went to flop really hard on the bed as she covered her face with her hands, groaning to herself. Gossip would most likely spread fast because she knew how the department office workers liked to gossip about everything and everyone. Soon, people might start asking about who her special someone was, and she'd have to come up with a cover story because she liked a girl, and everyone she knew there was straight. If anyone found out she liked a girl, and a girl that also attended university, things coudl go really wrong even though Irene was never Wendy's professor. Mostly, she was worried how her coworkers and boss would react finding out she might be gay. 

Worse, what about her students? Attraction between same genders was not accepted fully here as it was in western countries. She could get fired because people might feel uncomfortable around her if they found out she was gay.

No. I'm not gay.

I just like Wendy.

But she's a girl. And I'm a girl. 

. Why do we have to have labels for everything?

--

Wendy had pulled an allnighter for the last two nights finishing a big project paper and so she was very groggy and practicaly asleep on her feet as she wandered to her class. Without thinking, she passed through the literature building, which was bursting with students. 

She was glad it was a lecture class because she might be able to get away with getting a few zzz's in the 250-student class. The moment she woke up this morning, she was thinking about when she could come back home and fall into bed.

Ah, the life of a student.

While making her way past the crowded hall, she nearly crashed into THE Irene Bae, who also appeared to have been occupied with her thoughts as they both did not really see one another.

"Oh, Wendy!" she exclaimed as the younger girl quickly dodged before a real head on collision could occur.

"M-mornin!" Wendy replied in English because she was half dead to the world and forgot she was not in an English speaking country.

Irene looked surprised for a moment since she had never heard the latter speak English before, nor did she know that Wendy could speak English - unless it was previously mentioned and she just couldn't remember...

Too many things happening, Irene thought sullenly to herself.

"Everything ok?" Wendy asked when Irene paused and appeared to be lost for that split moment.

"What? oh, yes. I'm fine. I have to be going now, it's almost time for my class." Irene glanced at her watch and then stared into Wendy's eyes. A shock of...let's say the wind got knocked out of Wendy's lungs when that happened. THe older woman's eyes were darker than usual, with mystery and maybe somethign more that she coudln't identify, as they both gazed at one another.

"I-Irene..." Wendy was surely out of her rational mind to be thinking of asking her THE QUESTION of all time now in front of everyone. "I..." 

THe university clock struck the hour and the sound of the dings counting off the hour broke Wendy from the fog.

"I'll see you later," she mumbled instead as the hum of the students returned to her senses.

Irene gazed at her thoughtfully but did not object. Probably because she needed to be professional since she was at work. "Take care, Wendy."

Work was no place for romance.

 

After seeing Irene, Wendy was more awake and hardly paying attention in class. She thought heavily on Seulgi's words over asking Irene about the kiss. Irene made her breakfast. Irene actually maybe cared.

But wouldn't anyone do that for friends? Irene seemed to be the type that was kind and would not let a person to starve if she could help it.

The kiss on the cheek was indicator enough right? Wendy chewed on her pencil as she recalled the familiar tingling on the same spot Irene pressed her lips to that morning.

For once, she would have to admit that Seulgi might be right, and Wendy might have to take up Seulgi's suggestion.

--

A little later, Irene was walking back from her class to take lunch break and noticed a man wearing a sweater over a pair of slacks standing in the hall studying the directory and muttering incoherently to himself.

"Uerm, excuse me?" The man called tentatively. He looked really lost and definitely was not a student or other faculty around here.

"Can I help you?" Irene asked.

"Yeah...uh, do you know where I can find Kim Jonghyun? He forgot lunch so I brought him some." He held up a box of takeout in his hand.

"Sure. I was just heading in that direction. You can follow me."

"Ah, thanks so much! I'm Jinki by the way."

"Irene."

Luckily, the day time was busy with students and other professors were heading to teach their classes in a hustle so no one really paid any mind. Plus, this guy didn't seem to be trying  to make small talk or be impressive so the silence was welcome.

"It's just down this hall, second door from the end on the left," Irene instructed Onew. 

"Thanks." He bid her a respectful farewell and continued towards Jonghyun's office. It was empty now that other professors were in lecture.

She heard Onew knock on Jonghyun's door while she unlocked her office.

"Hey, Jongie, I brought you lunch..." she overhead him as she entered her office.

They must be good friends.

A silly imaginative scenario played in her head of herself bringing lunch to Wendy, greeting her with another kiss to the cheek - 

Ah, no. Save that for another time...when we're actually dating - well, if it happens.

--

Today, Wendy and Seulgi were at the supermarket to restock their pantry at home. Seulgi had a raging appetite as always and they were in dire need of more Pringles and chiken. Also, Wendy was interested in making hot and sour soup because it was cold and they needed some flavor in their life. ( it's soooo goood!!!)

Also, Wendy wnated to eat baguette baked in teh oven, which Seulgi did not object. The more food the better.

The two split up to make the job faster and Wendy was in heaven as she entered the bakery/bread aisle. She loved the smell of baked goods because it reminded her of days in the past, with her grandmother. Days when it was carefree for that moment.

Anyway, she took a baguette from the shelf and admired the pastries and cakes behind the display.

"Seems like a suitable place to find you," Irene suddenly appeared at her side.

"OH god!" Wendy leapt back almost knocking down an entire display table of cupcake boxes. 

"Oh, Wendy, I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to scare you."

"N-no worries. I was just caught off guard - dind't expect to run into you today," Wendy replied while rubbing the back of her neck sheepishly. "How're you doing?"

"I'm alright. And yourself?"

"I'm ok too.

"That's good." Irene smiled and seemed to be studying the pastries behind the display. "Are you buying one of these?"

"Um...yes." Wendy wasn't sure if it sounded weird that she just liked looking at baked goods. 

"I recommend the chocolate croissant if you're feeling stressed." 

At that moment, the bakery person came out to inquire if there was anything they wanted. (The bakery had its own cashier check out but only for the baked goods).

It was too late to back out now so Wendy ordered a chocolate croissant.

"Anything else?"

"Um...actually can you get me another?" Wendy remembered that Irene was here and decided that it wouldn't be good to order just somethign for herself while the other woman was here.

After the transaction, Wendy handed one bag with the other croissant to Irene. "Thanks for the recommendation."

Irene looked at her in surprise. "What about your friend?"

"She prefers Pringles."

"Well...thank you." Irene took the bag and gave her a grateful smile. "That's very sweet."

Wendy felt a blush rising to her cheeks and she knew she had to get out fast before her face became tomato colored. "No problem. I gotta get going."

"Alright. See you in a week. Thanks for the croissant." And Irene brushed past her, their arms just barely grazing, leaving Wendy having an internal spaz out moment that she managed not to embarass herself in front of Irene and a stranger.

 

When she told Seulgi about the events at the store, her friend was completley ecstatic and dancing all aroudn the apartment like the happiest dog in the world.

"PROGRESSS PROGRESSSSSSSS!" she cheered. "NOW ALL YOU HACVE TO DO IS KISS HERRR!"

Wendy let her friend have a solo celebration while she thought back to that moment when Irene's arm had brushed against hers, then to Irene's kiss.

Irene even gave her a suggestion of what pastry to get. SHe could have just said a simple hello and not stuck around as long as she did.

"Believe in the heart of WENRENE!" Seulgi announced like Yu-gi from that battlign trading cards anime show.

 

That night, Wendy lay in bed wondering if she should make a move now and how she should make the next move without embarassing herself or coming off as creepy.

--

THE BIGGEST TIME SKIP OF ALL TIME YO

 

The next book club meeting came faster than anyone expected, but it was probalby because of all the work everyone was preoccupied with. Wendy just barely finished the book the night before and even needed to use a website for a synopsis to brush up on stuff she probably skimmed over. 

She had pulled a few allnighters this week because she'd had a buttload of assignments and kept falling asleep between pages of book club book in the late night.

So now, here she was in all her sleep-deprived glory, her head an empty sea shell with just the ocean wind howling through her ears. 

When the door opened, she went on autopilot and grinned at Irene, who welcomed her with the same Irene-smile, practically blasting Wendy off her feet into outer space because this woman was definitely way out of her league.

"Are you feeling ok?" Irene asked. 

Wendy nodded vigorously. "How are you?"

"I'm good, thanks. HOw are you liking the books?"

"I like 'em. I've never read this and the other one before."

"I'm glad."

They followed the usual routine, Irene leading her to the back where the other book club members were already situated in the discussion circle.

"Nice to see you still sticking to it," Sehun greeted her. "Are you playing any indoor sports since soccer is out of season?"

"No, just working out at the gym until the weather's warmer for practice to start up again."

After some small talk with the others, the discussion began and Wendy felt like she was going to fall asleep while the others went back and forth on their thoughts about the book. Howver, she powered through it and stayed awake for the whole thing.

Honestly, she thought she must have slept with her eyes open because she remembered nothing of the session at the end.

Wendy helped the others put the chairs back to their original place and socialized for a bit. This time, Irene evne stayed to talk a little more with the others while Wendy did her best to be invested in Hani and Taeyeon's conversation about some trending music.

Soon, they started to leave and Irene retired to the kitchen to clean up the snacks and send her friends home ith some. Wendy decided that while the others were occupied maybe she could ask for Irene's time after, but then Sehun beat her to the punch and went to talk up Irene.

Oh god, what am I gonna say?

SHe reheared in her mind how she would talk to Irene without tripping up her words, while also eavesdropping on the conversation between Irene and Sehun.

They were talking about work and if Irene might be interested in something that was coming up. "I have a presentation to make on my project. We're planning to go for drinks after, would you like to come as my plus one?"

"No thanks, Sehun, you know I'm busy on weeknights."

"You're right." He sighed, defeatedly it sounded like. "Well, I'll see you later then. I gotta wake up early tomorrow."

By that time, the other women had left so when Sehun wlaked out, he noticed Wendy standing awkwardly at the side. "Your ride coming?" he asked.

"Yeah, soon."

"Ok, see you at the next meeting."

"Bye."

 

Now, it was quiet, and Wendy heard Irene's steps nearing.

"Is your friend coming to pick you up?" Irene asked.

At that moment, Wendy felt a little embarrassed that she had to rely on someone else for transportation. I guess I should learn to drive some time in the summer...she mused. "She'll be here soon," she confirmed and glanced at her phone to 'casually' check the time when in reality she was nervous.

"Can I ask you something?" Wendy stammered when silence ensued between them. The words came out of before she could really thikn about it thanks to her nerves.

She could only imagine Seulgi, as some sort of weird mystic, chomping on Pringles and watching the whole ordeal through a magic crystal ball, laughing hysterically.

"What is it?" Irene's voice wiped out the image.