-30-

Book Club Chronicles

Every New Year's Eve, there was an annual event at the Han River (made this up, may not be true), where people would await for midnight to see the fireworks celbrating the New Year. There were other places in the popular cities hosting a similar event, but those tended to be crowded and rowdy. While there was quite a crowd of people at the river, it wasn't as overwhelming as the cities.

Seulgi's parents drove Seulgi and Wendy out there in the early evening to find a suitable spot for parking.

Irene also drove her parents to the Han River while Joy drove separately with Chaeyoung.

Also, Minho and Taemin were there to make sure that there were no roughhousing and rowdy people starting trouble.

 

Some people were already assembled with portable chairs since it was still snowing. There were a couple benches along the walk, and some people selling snacks, trinkets, and sparklers to kids. 

It was supposed to be clear tonight, and the cold was atrocious. The snow from earlier had been swept away but there was still some left over on the ground. 

Soon, a crowd was already forming and Seulgi's parents found a good spot for viewing the fireworks without getting smothered in the masses. 

Wendy watched some kids race by with sparklers while laughing merrily, and she wondered how simple innocence could become warped with time. But for her, she had to work hard. Even as a kid she was pushed to be the best there ever was. She took up all kinds of activities from music to sports to whatever  else there was to make her look like an accomplished child. And now she was playing soccer instead of becoming the doctor or lawyer her parents wanted her to be once. They eventually accepted her decision and since she was on a full ride scholarship, she did not ask them for help. 

Besides, she was majoring in sports medicine so it's not like she wasn't studying. Medicine is the key word.

"Hey, want some?" Seulgi had gone to get some snacks of course while Wendy was waiting for her.

"Oh thanks." They walked back to where Seulgi's parents were waiting out at their chosen spot. 

Minho and Taemin wove throught the bodies, Minho stoic as ever and Taemin happy to be among kids and sparklers. No one owuld have known Taemin was a detective's assistnat, but he couldn't resist the children.

"Honestly, you should have been a school teacher," Minho said disapprovingly.

"it's cuz you're an only child," Taemin replied indifferenty. 

They continued walking and passed by Wendy and Seulgi. "Oh hi!' Taemin beamed at them unexpectedly.

Wendy looked at him in surprise and then Minho. She hesitated, most likely shocked to see them again at an event, but she greeted them again.

"YOU GUYS ARE cUTE TOGETHER!" Seulgi screamed after Minho and Taemin.

There was a lot of music, traditional and modern mainstream playing while people socialized.

It was probably close to a half hour before midnight when Seulgi suddenly realized she forgot her polaroid in the car. 

Wendy offered to go pick it up but there was quite a bit of people and she practically got lost trying to find Seulgi's car. Thye had parked in a residential area, but the dark made everything look similar.

Because she was so short, she also couldn't see much either.

UGh...maybe I should have asked Seul to come with me...she thought sullenly.

But then, someone came crashing into, the force sending her falling flat on her back with the person on top of her. The weight and added gravity knocked the air out of her lungs.

She frowned as she looked at the person on top of her..

She looked faintly familiar, and when her eyes adjusted...

HOLY CRAPOLY!

IRENE?!

 

Meanwhile...

 

Irene sat with her mother and father while Joy and Chaeyoung went to get some hot drinks for them.

"honey, I think I left my scarf in the car," Mrs. Bae said to IRene. "Could you get it for me, please?"

"Of course." Irene stood up quickly glad to have a moment away from the crowd. As much as she loved being iwth her family, being in big crowds wasn't her favorite thing. Sure, she had to be with a lot of people in conventions and all that, but that was business and there were important matters to be discussed. In social settings, it wasn't the same, and she liked having time alone away from people.

She had a harrd time getting through people because everyone was kind of in the way and kids were excitedly trampling everywhere.

Someone bumped into her, causing her to trip on her feet and into another person. The both of them ending up falling on the ground, but Irene on top, completely squashing the smaller person beneath her.

Both were slightly winded and Irene's eyes took a moment to register who it was beneath her.

"WENDY!" she gasped and scrambled off the girl only to slip on the icy sidwalk and fall back on top of her. Her face crashed into Wendy's chest and she felt mortified. "oh god I'm so sorry..."

"I-it's fine...." Wendy's body was ringing from the fall damage.

Irene managed to get up and she helped the girl onto her feet. "Are you hurt?" she aske dworriedly.

Wendy shook her head. "I'm fine. Are you alright?"

"Yes." Irene brushed off some dirt and snow from Wendy's shoulders. "I was trying to get back to my car to get something." She managed to keep her cool after the embarassing moment.

"Oh...me too! I mean...I'm getting it from Seulgi's car," Wendy replied. "I"m...just a little lost." She chuckled nervously. "Everything looks different in the dark."

Irene hummed in agreement. "I can go with you if you'd like."

Wendy at first felt like she was a child being escorted by a parent, but she realized that she would still get lost and not get the camera to Seulgi in time. "Yes please," she replied.

Irene smiled at her because she woudl also rather have Wendy with her while roaming the dark streets alone. Despite there being a crowd, it was also easier for bad things to happen since it was loud and no one was really paying attention.

And so, they went to Irene's car and then to Seul's, which had been parked a coupel blocks down.

"Thanks for coming with me," Wendy told her once the polaroid was in her hands. She locked up Seul's car and tested the door to be sure it was secure. 

"You're welcome." Irene led her back to the event. 

Ten minutes to midnight...

"You better hurry so you can make it to your friend, 'Irene told her. "It's almost midnight. I need to bring this scarf to my mother now. Happy New Year."

"Happy New Year." Wendy waved at her and she darted through the bodies to bring the camera to Seulgi, who demanded what took so long. She shrugged and a few minutes later, peopel were chanting the count down staring at the sky expectantly.

3...

2...

1...

BAMBAMMAGMMMBLADGHJKA! 

The fireworks blasted into life, exploding colors on the canvas night.

Seulgi was busy taking pics, while Wendy watched the light show.

Irene hardly noticed the loud noise that usually would make her uncomfortable. But she was too distracted with her run-in with Wendy. 

What is happening to me? Her heart beat a little faster just thinking about every moment alone they'd had together recently. She pressed a hand to her chest, feeling conflicted.

--

When Irene returned home with her family, she sought comfort in the hamster keychain.

"I don't know what I'm feeling."

The hamster continued to be silent  in its fluffy cheeks state. 

"You have it easy. All you have to do is be cute and soft...like Wendy...all she has to do is be cute and all these girls are after her..." she remembered her sister and cousin taling about Wendy at dinner on Christmas. "UGh, what the hell...I'm talking to a toy."

Something's really wrong with me.

Why am I thikning about her so much?

She's just Wendy. Nothing special about her - excpet her trying to protec me from Suho, and ...everything after that.

Irene her side still grpping the hamster in her hand. I'm too old to be having immature fantasies, she didnt' want to admit what she was feeling might be true.

I'm too old for her.

Wendy is too young for me.

She's a girl.

I'm supposed to be straight.

--

Back home, Wendy was fast asleep because she was actually freezing all night outside and dozed off curled up in a pile of warm blankets.

But she was dreaming about Irene, standing together under the fireworks.

"Happy New Year, Wendy." Irene whispered in her ear and kissed her.

Ah, dreams were so good.