-25-

Book Club Chronicles

The semester came to a close with frantic all nighters and studying for exams and final papers. 

For Irene, it was the same but instead of studying, she had a lot of grading and reading mountains of essays.

 

Everyone was relieved when the last day of the semester before winter break finally arrived, and they all hit the sack for much needed rest.

--

"Wendy, my parents want to come over for Christmas. What do you thikn of that?" Seulgi popped up in her room like a prairie dog.

"Sounds good," Wendy replied. "Speaking of Christmas, I shoudl send a card home." She sat up from where she was lounging on the bed.

She opened her closet and pulled out a warm jacket and a scarf. It had started snowing enough that there was a good layer covering the ground every morning. 

"Wanna come?" Wendy asked and Seulgi agreed.

When they were both bulked up for the outdoors, they headed out to the bustling winter life in the city. Business and stores were galmmed up in Christmas decor, and a lot of ads about winter themed gifts and Christmas blowout sales.

It was definitely CHristmas.

They entered a local gift shop that convenitnetly carried a variety of cards to choose from. Wendy settled for a standard 'Wishing you warm holidays' sort of card with a classic Christmas design since her parents were the prim and proper type.

After that, the duo headed off to the coffee shop, which was bustling with business - people buying drinks and snacks, gift cards, and other merchandise for Christmas too.

At that moment, light snow began to fall outside. A child exclaimed excitedly, pressing their hands to the window, their breath fogging up the glass.

"Isn't it romantic?" SEulgi gushed.

"Uh...what is?" Wendy looked back at her friend who was dreamily watching a couple outside.

KISSING UNDER THE MISTLETOE.

"That could be you and Irene one day," Seulgi said suggestively.

"Shut up." Wendy flicked her forehead.

--

Irene felt physcially better after a few days of rest since the semester ended. The extra rest seemed to be helping with healing her injuries. 

Mentally, she was still struggling with the past. She couldn't unsee everything he'd done to her. She couldn't forget how he grabbed her with intent to inflict damage, and how he hurt Wendy so easily.

Suho had been imprisoned for a good while and went to a far away prison that was almost separate from civilization. Irene didnt' bother to know where it was because she would rather forget about him. She felt nothing for the man. 

He deserves it.

Irene sat at her desk browsing throuhg her emails for anything that might be of slight importance. Just spam for the holidays.

Wendy's card sat front and center on her work surface. Irene had been wondering how to respond to her. She had gone about hadling the situation in a not very good way by shutting people out. But it was difficult because she felt that she was the cause of the problem. Suho came to haunt her because of waht she had done, which triggered everything else...

Irene shook her head and signed off her laptop. She went to make herself a cup of hot coffee, which was perfect for the winter weather. Her home was empty now since Joy had gone out for some gift shopping. Her younger sibling like to gift everyone for big occasions so it sounded like a big project.

She glanced at the card wondering if she should write back. She hadn't talked or seen Wendy for a week now. 

Or maybe they should meet up?

Irene frowned and rubbed the back of her neck. Was it ok for them to meet like that?

But we already did meet like that, Irene thought to herself. And, she isn't my student. She was never my student. So, there isn't really a conflict of interest.

But just to be sure, Irene pulled out her paperwork and policies to read over.

It was a lot of information, but she had a lot of tiem today to get through it all. Besides, it was important so that she wasn't going against anything that could endanger the both of them - especially Irene's job.

But there was nothing concerning her and Wend'y situation. It was not allowed for professors to date students from their own class.

It never said she couldn't date someone who was never even in her class. Wendy was never in her class. And Wendy was not even in Irene's department. 

The only real felony was teachers dating students  under 18 or if they were high school teachers trying to hit on high school students.

And Wendy was none of those.

Wendy was probably around her 20s. A good ways away from high school-hood.

So...maybe it was ok.

 

Besides, Irene really should get back on track with small steps. It was disrespectful that she left Wendy hanging after such a traumatic experience. 

Wendy needs to know that everything will be ok now. Suho is in jail.

But...will things ever go back to the way they were?

Irene remembered their little conversations and Wendy's awkwardness around her adn the other book club members. It was kind of cute, and unexpected to have a younger person join the mostly 25- 30 year old people team. But the girl still commited to it most of the weeks except when she had a game. ANd she had good things to talk about in the sessions.

Ah, to be young again...Irene thught about how much energy Wendy must have to be in sports and study at the same time. 

Irene wished she was youthful at times. She was tired most days from work and wanted nothing more than to sleep. Her athleticism was waning if any, and she barely had time for walks in between lectures.

Those days were over, and the worst.

She would rather not remember anything that had Suho in them.

I need to stop dwelling in the past. It's over. Suho is over.

Irene opened up her email app and began composing a messgae for Wendy that was long over due.

Should i write a card for her too? But whatever I say will be in that card. Maybe I will just invite her coffee or something and a little gift. 

 

Wendy and Seulgi had returned home and were working together to make dinner. IN reality, Wendy was doing most of the work while trying to teach Seulgi how to cute an onion withouth chopping her fingers.

Finally, the igrediesnt were all cooking on the stove which gave them a chance to take a break.

At that moment, Wendy's phone notificaitions went off and she was surprised to find Irene had sent her an email that had nothing to do with book club.

Dear Wendy, I hope you're feeling better. Would you be able to meet with me some time next week? I want to speak with you. Let me know whenever. - Irene

Seulgi managed to catch a glimpse with her suddenly hawk-like eyes, and she wnet into raging fangirl mode.

But before she could say anything,Wendy clamped her firend's mouth shut. The fangirl mode gauge immediately decreased to zero, leaving Seulgi a panting mess.

"Irene wan't to reconnect wiht you!" SEulgi cheered excitedly. "THIS IS YOUR MOMENT TO GET YOUR WOMAN WENDY!"

"Let's eat dinner first," Wendy was a little struck dumb by this. It couldn't be a bad thing. But whenever someone says 'i want to speak with you' it is something serious.

"NO!" Seulgi said. "You should answer it right away."

"It won't make a differnce between today and tomorrow. We're not meeting tomorrow." Wendy put her phone back. "Besides, you'll have to wait longer if I"m writing an email. DOn't you want your food scorching fresh?"

She won Seulgi over with her stomach.

But she did send a reply mail back right after dinner.

--

Irene was so nervous after she got Wendy's reply agreeing to meet. She hadn't told Joy about her plan to meet Wendy yet. THey were going to meet in the coming midweek.

What do I tell her? How do I explain my actions? She thought worriedly as she poured herself some water.

Apologize. I've got to do that...

Should I tell her everything? Nothing will make sense unless I tell her the backstory.

But then that means she will know I am weak...

It will ruin the image of Irene Bae for her...

"Hey. Irene. Hey." Joy waved a hand in front of her face. "You there?"

"What?"

"You're spillin teh water on the floor."

Irene gasped and almost dropped the pitcher. "Ugh...sorry..."

"No worries. YOu good?"

"N-not really..." 

Joy gave her a sympathetic look. "It's ok, unnie. You're still recovering. How are you feeling?"

Irene put back the wares and decided not to drink water anymore. She put her cup in the sink and washed it. "I"m alright. Better than before now. I...I've decided I need to talk over things with Wendy properly."

Joy smiled. Her old sis was coming back...somewaht. "That's great. I think it'll help you too."

Irene hoped so."Waht about you? How're you doing since you and Hyunwoo separated?"

Joy sighed heavily. "I haven't talked with him and he hasn't contacted me. He usually does. But I just haven't felt like it anymore. He's always moving around too much."

Irene thought it was ironic since JOy was always on the gogogo like the wind. "Maybe you should try to pathc things up again."

"Maybe..."

Irene gazed at her younger sibling, wondering why somethingk felt different. Usually, Joy was raring after Hyunwoo. 

Who had she been hanging out with? 

Wendy.

Did this have something to do with Wendy?

Irene inahled deeply and let it go. Take one thing at a time, Irene.

One thing at a time.

 

--

sorry for the delay. THings got busy cuz I've been helping my grandma take care of her dog that she rescued.

Here's an update! Sorry not wenrene ye,t but i promise next chap there will be.

Also, I've been thikning about the chapters about wendy and irene afte suho attacked them.I"m not really sure if i should change it since the way they acted is kind of wierd. Pls let me know what you think about that. I'm not sure if I will change it - for now at least.